'Black Lightning' Season 1

PRESS RELEASE

JAMES REMAR (DEXTER) AND DAMON GUPTON (BATES MOTEL) JOIN ELECTRIFYING CAST OF BLACK LIGHTNING

Fans Learn More Details About The CW’s New DC Super Hero During Saturday’s Comic-Con Panel

AN DIEGO and BURBANK, Calif. (July 22, 2017) — The excitement surrounding The CW’s latest addition to its DC Super Hero lineup was electrifying at Warner Bros. Television’s Black Lightning Comic-Con 2017® panel Saturday, July 22, as fans learned that two new characters will enter the beleaguered community where local hero Jefferson Pierce secretly fights crime as masked vigilante Black Lightning. Executive producers Salim Akil & Mara Brock Akil announced at the session that James Remar and Damon Gupton will light up the screen as two new series regulars when Black Lightning premieres midseason on The CW. Fans were also charged up to view a special sneak peak of the upcoming series.

James Remar

James Remar (Dexter, Django Unchained, The Warriors) joins the cast as Peter Gambi, the oldest friend of Jefferson Pierce (series star Cress Williams). Gambi is Jefferson’s father figure, mentor and “tailor.” His history with Jefferson goes back farther and deeper than anyone knows, and Gambi’s role in Jefferson’s life will become a painful window into the past that will affect the future of their relationship forever.

Damon Gupton

Damon Gupton (Bates Motel, Whiplash, La La Land) will play Inspector Henderson, a veteran officer of the law who is now the highest-ranking detective on the force. His role in the community puts him at odds with Black Lightning (Williams), but they soon become unlikely allies.

Based on the characters from DC, Black Lightning is from Berlanti Productions and Akil Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, with executive producers Greg Berlanti (Arrow, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl), Salim Akil & Mara Brock Akil (Being Mary Jane, The Game, Girlfriends) and Sarah Schechter (Arrow, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl). The Black Lightning character was created by Tony Isabella with Trevor Von Eeden.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I was just watching Damon Gupton trying to shrink Norman Bates' head in Bates Motel (a very good series) and have loved James Remar since he chewed the scenery in 48 Hours.

• Richard Willis said:

... and have loved James Remar since he chewed the scenery in 48 Hours.

I'll always remember him from The Warriors.
  • Damon Gupton was also on CBS's Criminal Minds late season. In the first episode of this season it is revealed that his character was killed.

Richard Willis said:

I was just watching Damon Gupton trying to shrink Norman Bates' head in Bates Motel (a very good series) and have loved James Remar since he chewed the scenery in 48 Hours.

• So, who saw the premiere? My wife and I are sold!

• Really liked it! And I loved the sign in front of Gambi's tailor shop that says "Since 1977" -- the year Black Lightning was first published!

• I liked it, too, even though I have zero knowledge of the character. They filled me in as they went. I like the potential complication of the daughter inheriting powers.

• On Riverdale, there's a sign indicating the school was founded in 1941 -- the year Archie debuted.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Really liked it! And I loved the sign in front of Gambi's tailor shop that says "Since 1977" -- the year Black Lightning was first published!

• I really liked it, too!

But ... as Pee-Wee Herman said "Everyone I know has a big "But" ... given that I was hoping to watch this one with The Lad, I wish they'd dialed down the language just a wee bit.

• I'll get there. I like the urban vigilante bit -- as well as the running commentary from TV talking head Roland Martin questioning why Black heroes are tagged as "vigilantes" -- but I do wonder about how a guy with electrical powers can sustain our interest beating up crooks with guns.

If the pilot episode helps anybody who didn't already know understand what "driving while Black" is -- and what's wrong with it -- it's worth it.

• We recorded it last week and watched it last night. So far, so good. We're in.

This reply was deleted.