From Bleeding Cool: "After Twenty-Six Years, DC Comics Rumoured to Close Vertigo"

It seems some Warner Bros. suit questioned why more Vertigo properties aren't fodder for movies, and learned that's because most of them are creator-owned. The reaction was to change Vertigo's contracts with creators, which led a lot of them to go elsewhere. And the series that have come along since haven't set the world on fire. 

Views: 374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Think about how long it took the industry to recover from the loss of Marvel's "Over the Edge" imprint.

more_travel_img

Or Epic which would be contrary to Disney's philosophy.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Think about how long it took the industry to recover from the loss of Marvel's "Over the Edge" imprint.

more_travel_img

The Los Angeles Times tweeted: 

Vertigo, which was relaunched a year ago to “celebrate” Marvel's 25th anniversary, is shutting down.https://t.co/vBWAfDnIUs

— Los Angeles Times (@latimes) June 22, 2019

After some deserved online ridicule, the Times corrected the tweet.

Vertigo was a great thing, and it created a whole new taste in mainstream comics. As a 25-year thing, it belongs right up at the top of other more experimental endeavors.

My top ten favorite Vertigo comics, in no particular order:

100 Bullets

Hellblazer

Scalped

Fables

Human Target

Beware the Creeper

Books of Magic

American Virgin

Sandman

Loveless

What are yours?

In no particular order, my favorite Vertigo comics:

• 100 Bullets
  • Swamp Thing
  • Sgt. Rock: Between Hell and a Hard Place
  • Hellblazer
  • Fables
  • Jonah Hex: Two-Gun Mojo, Jonah Hex: Riders of the Worm and Such; Jonah Hex: Shadows West
  • Y, the Last Man
  • The Human Target
  • Army@Love
  • Death: The High Cost of Living
  • Codename: Knockout

I'm not a list fan, but this time I can't resist:

Sandman

Preacher

Hellblazer

Transmetropolitan

Fables

Y, the Last Man

100 Bullets

DMZ

Lucifer

Daytripper

Not an expert and I haven't read every Vertigo title so...

Swamp Thing (especially the Alan Moore era)

Sandman which includes Death

Fables/Jack Of Fables

Y-the Last Man

Astro City (not originally Vertigo but enough of a run)

Doom Patrol (still can't understand it though!)

Sandman Mystery Theatre

Blood + Water (vampire series with potential)

Greatest Hits (superhero analogues to the Beatles!)

Oh, man. Aside from the God-tier books (Sandman, Preacher, Transmet, Fables, Y), some of my favorite books include:

Sandman Mystery Theatre -- such great period mysteries!

The New Deadwardians -- another mystery, in an Edwardian-era world in which vampires and zombies coexist

Bigg Time -- a funny OGN by Ty Templeton about a struggling actor and his guardian angel

Seekers into the Mystery -- This JM DeMatteis-written story of self-reflection really grabbed me

The Unwritten -- a magic conspiracy fueled by books

The Invisibles -- the ultimate Grant Morrison conspiracy

Hellblazer -- I need to go back and read the Paul Jenkins/Sean Phillips run.

Agreed to all above, but thanks for reminding me about Sandman Mystery Theatre, Rob. That's the kind of implanted continuity I really love, where nothing really is changed from the original, but additional context and depth is added. And what a fascinating corner of DC history to explore!

Man, that was such a fantastic book! I think I'll take a graphic novel or two of that on vacation and revisit them!

In other news, I think it's important to note that a week after DC shuttered Vertigo, it introduced a new horror line under the Black Label imprint -- a pop-up imprint from horror writer Joe Hill called Hill House Comics. From the press release:

The first of these new monthly comics will debut on October 30 with BASKETFUL OF HEADS, written by Joe Hill with art by Leomacs, followed by four other series in subsequent months, including:

• THE DOLLHOUSE FAMILY from Mike Carey (LUCIFER, HELLBLAZER, The Girl with All the Gifts) and Peter Gross (LUCIFER, THE BOOKS OF MAGIC, THE UNWRITTEN)
  • THE LOW, LOW WOODS by Carmen Maria Machado (Her Body and Other Parties) and Dani (2000 AD, Coffin Bound, Deep Roots)
  • DAPHNE BYRNE by Laura Marks (TV writer and producer, playwright of Bethany) and Kelley Jones (SWAMP THING, DEADMAN, THE SANDMAN)
  • PLUNGE by Hill and artist TBD

In addition, a backup story titled “Sea Dogs,” written by Hill and featuring lycanthropes terrorizing a crew of sailors at sea, will run in the back of every issue from the line.

These books would have been right at home at Vertigo, but might have floundered, since Vertigo doesn't seem to get the market penetration it once did. I'm hoping they'll be able to thrive at Black Label. I'm especially interested in Basketful of Heads and Plunge, but the others look promising too. There's more, including images, at The Beat.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service