From Bleeding Cool: "After Twenty-Six Years, DC Comics Rumoured to Close Vertigo"

It seems some Warner Bros. suit questioned why more Vertigo properties aren't fodder for movies, and learned that's because most of them are creator-owned. The reaction was to change Vertigo's contracts with creators, which led a lot of them to go elsewhere. And the series that have come along since haven't set the world on fire. 

Views: 374

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Are those creator-owned too? Because that's what helped sink Vertigo in the first place!

I think it was said that new titles would have contracts that favored DC.

Philip Portelli said:

Are those creator-owned too? Because that's what helped sink Vertigo in the first place!

Paul Levitz offers his observations about the end of Vertigo on ICv2: "BRANDS LIVE. BRANDS DIE."

As far as I know, nothing's been said officially. The Beat story says: "The EW story doesn’t mention whether these stories are creator-owned or not, but they are certainly creator driven and DC did promise that they wouldn’t be backing away from creator owned material, despite Vertigo going away." 

(I added a link to the Entertainment Weekly story that announced the line.)

Richard Willis said:

I think it was said that new titles would have contracts that favored DC.

Philip Portelli said:

Thanks for sharing this! It goes without saying, but Levitz is super smart about the business of comics. On Facebook, he's been sharing reminiscences of Vertigo, and they've all been worth reading. He strikes me as a thoughtful guy I'd really like to have worked for. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Paul Levitz offers his observations about the end of Vertigo on ICv2: "BRANDS LIVE. BRANDS DIE."

Great article, I agree. I need to go follow him on Facebook.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

Thanks for sharing this! It goes without saying, but Levitz is super smart about the business of comics. On Facebook, he's been sharing reminiscences of Vertigo, and they've all been worth reading. He strikes me as a thoughtful guy I'd really like to have worked for. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

And another post-Vertigo title from Black Label! A high fantasy book called The Last God comes out in October from writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson, artist Riccardo Federici, colorist Dean White, and letterer Tom Napolitano. Newsarama has details and images.

If they keep it up, it'll almost seem like closing Vertigo wasn't a change of publishing direction at all. It looks like DC was preparing for another big Vertigo launch like last year's, and decided they'd have a broader reach if they didn't call them Vertigo books. Sadly, I think they're probably right.  But Black Label has gotten a LOT more interesting to me in the past couple days.

Looks like DC's also bringing back Hellblazer, under the Sandman Universe sub-imprint.  Which will presumably be Black Label by that point. Starts with a one-shot in October by Simon Spurrier and Marcio Takara, followed by a new ongoing series, John Constantine, Hellblazer, in November, by Spurrier and Aaron Campbell. The Beat has more.

So Constantine can be in Justice League Action AND in a Black Label book! Talk about mixed signals!

Yep!

Then again, so can Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service