Just curious how many relatively active posters are on the board and how do everyone's interests break down?

Do you read current comics, mostly older material, or a good selection of both?

Do you read mostly Marvel? DC? Independent? Everything?

Are there any current creators that you love most of their work or hate most of their work?

Are you more interested in discussing things you've read more recently or things from before that really made an impression?

Do you prefer discussions that focus on the positive, critically examine comics and trends, or something in the middle?

What do you like best about the board?

What do you feel are some challenges for the board?

Views: 1935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I was going to post my own answers, but I realized that they mirror yours almost exactly. My reading favors DC (especially Vertigo), along with Image and lots of other independents (Dark Horse, Top Shelf, Oni). Big disagree on the creators, though: I like Morrison and Fraction enough to endure the occasional frustration (also Gaiman, Carey, Brubaker, Lemire, Kindt). I've found it difficult to discuss anything I haven't read recently, but I've been actively rereading older material along with current comics. At this point there doesn't seem to be a lot of older comics of interest that I haven't already tried out, which makes me a bit sad. I remember the excitement of first discovering Vertigo, where there was a deep back catalog to explore.

Border Mutt said:

I probably read more current comics than older material but I have been getting more into older trades and archives recently and can see that switching in the fairly near future.

I read mostly DC, Vertigo, and Image.

Waid and Busiek are probably my favourite current authors, (although I'm not sure Busiek can be considered current anymore).  Morrison and Fraction are probably the current creators I find the most frustrating.

In general, I'm more interested in discussing something I've recently read or reread.

I think both positive and critical viewpoints add to discussions as long as no one takes it personally.

I like the friendliness and variety of topics discussed on the board.

I do find it a little frustrating that discussions often peter out fairly quickly.

I read few new comics, normally only The Activity; Near Death; Mud Man; I am about to cancel Daredevil and All Star Western mainly a because I have no more room (I need a tablet or similar so I can access e comics). So I'm not qualified to comment, although I do have read at other titles in my lcs. (Dave is good to me like that).  52 was a jumping off point for me.

Despite the above, I have read a lot of Morrison and Millar and detest most of what they write ( I borrow bits and pieces from a friend) and Morrison's recent gong is a disgrace.  As I worry about offending other members, I hesitate to go into this in more detail.

Old comics and newspaper strips take up most of my time and have done for a few years now and I do buy Dell westerns, other old American comics and British and Euro titles.

Being relatively new to this site, I am taken with the general friendliness, which compares well with the reactions sometimes invoked on http://comicsuk.co.uk/forum/index.php

although that site has improved recently and it is a great resource.

Wandering Sensei mentions this becoming a "Curmudgeon Board" and I'm afraid I have little good to say about relatively recent comics, so perhaps better to keep quiet but I'd love to chat about old titles and foreign (to N.Americans) comics.  There is so much out there.

Wandering Sensei said:

What do you feel are some challenges for the board? Well, like I've said, I fear this board is becoming the "Curmudgeon Board".

"I didn't get a "harrumph" outta that guy!"

Doctor Hmmm? said:
"I didn't get a "harrumph" outta that guy!"

The funny thing for me is that just last week, one of my buddies on Facebook quoted "The French Mistake" to which I replied the quote you just used. You don't hear it for years and then twice in a week. I found it interesting anyways..Well actually I started with "Get 'em girls" and THEN I used the other quote. ;)

I buy about 100 current comics every month, George, which I think is very high than most people here. I pick them up once a month so I'm a bit behind for the actual discussion. I get about 60-75% of what DC and Marvel put out but with all the new titles/reboots/reimagining, that may drop a bit. I also pick up titles from IDW, Archie, Boom and Dynamite as well as various Monster mags, Star Trek, Alter Ego, Back Issue and, of course, Comic Buyer's Guide.

I would gladly participate in discussions on the more current titles but I don't think many here are reading, for example, Detective or Avengers Assemble. At least it does not seem that way!

When I joined this site, it didn't take long for me to start posting and adding topics. And yes I focus a lot on my "Silver Sightings", "I Was Wondering" and "Fan of Bronze" threads because I absolutely love those books from those eras and it seems others do too. There's nothing wrong with that. Because I don't want to dump on today's comics as others have. I enjoy many current books but how many do the rest of you actually read them?

As a case point, many of us, myself included, commented on the new Captain Marvel series before it debuted but how many of us are reading it now? I am but I never heard any feedback on it. I see the responses to Pete's "What's on sale this week" blogs and for the most part, only a few titles are bought.

But yes there must be new blood, new opinions. No one should feel like they can't talk about what they like. This is an open forum and no one will judge you!

Hey, they let me in!

Morrison's recent gong is a disgrace.

Amen, brother!  Now I must friend you!

Do you read current comics, mostly older material, or a good selection of both? I read a mix. I live for the quarter/half dollar/dollar bin. 

Do you read mostly Marvel? DC? Independent? Everything? It changes as any given company's output changes. I'd say I generally (generally) favor DC, as there have been periods where I've become disenchanted with what's available (I still think of "Heroes Reborn" as "The Year I Didn't Read Marvel Comics", and don't get me started on "Civil War.") Right now, if I was to total up what I buy, it'd probably be about 40 percent new DCs, 20 percent new Marvels and 40 percent independent and back issue material.

Are there any current creators that you love most of their work or hate most of their work? I never placed that much weight on creators. There are artists I like and writers I like, but I tend to follow characters more than creators.

Are you more interested in discussing things you've read more recently or things from before that really made an impression? I don't see this as an either/or question.

Do you prefer discussions that focus on the positive, critically examine comics and trends, or something in the middle? I don't see this as an either/or question.

What do you like best about the board? The general feeling of camaraderie, which has persisted over many years and incarnations and the comings and goings of several people.

What do you feel are some challenges for the board? Having the time to spend on it, for one; my participation in the past couple of months has been really sporadic. 

Also, although we're generally (generally) friendly and polite, I detect a certain thin-skinnedness that didn't used to be. For example, in the 2008 presidential election, we had a running thread discussing daily developments -- who was up or down in the polls, who dropped out and why, any given poster's views of their political philosophies or of any given candidates, etc., and so forth, and kept it going with far less rancor than the various threads about "Civil War" (about which, don't get me started). For the 2012 election, we didn't even try.

And I agree with Randy that we are missing a certain amount of silliness, like the running gag about how Captain America beats Batman any six days of the week (and twice on Sunday) ... 

Philip Portelli said:

I enjoy many current books but how many do the rest of you actually read them?

As a case point, many of us, myself included, commented on the new Captain Marvel series before it debuted but how many of us are reading it now? I am but I never heard any feedback on it. I see the responses to Pete's "What's on sale this week" blogs and for the most part, only a few titles are bought.

I'm not sure responses to "What's on sale this week" is really a good indication of what people are reading.  I don't know about other people, but I've never seen the point of listing out what I'm buying without actually discussing content.  It never occurred to me that people might be taking that as an indication as to what to discuss.  

I've always assumed that there was less discussion of current content because people were reading it at different times and wanted to avoid spoilers.  Is that off base?

Do you read current comics, mostly older material, or a good selection of both? I read both. I've got a stack of DC Archives as tall as they are wide yet to read, and I buy a bunch of new comics every week. Plus other reprints (Classic Popeye, Terry & the Pirates, EC Archives)

Do you read mostly Marvel? DC? Independent? Everything? Mostly current DC & Vertigo (and past DC), but I'm dipping into indies more than I have in a while, lately. Plus an occasional Marvel book.

Are there any current creators that you love most of their work or hate most of their work? Darwyn Cooke, most of all. But Kurt Busiek, Mark Waid, Morrison, Gaiman, Moore, Steve Rude, and I've never met a Hernandez Bros story I didn't like... but I don't read them often enough nonetheless. Hate? Everyone gets a second chance, but it'll take a lot to get me to buy most of the original Image guys. Buy bygones, eh?

Are you more interested in discussing things you've read more recently or things from before that really made an impression? Both -- but I too often forget the details of things I haven't read recently.I am old.

Do you prefer discussions that focus on the positive, critically examine comics and trends, or something in the middle? I like both -- I love to hear when people are positive about comics, but some story and art choices just don't work -- and really, those are what sparks discussion, instead of just head-nodding.

What do you like best about the board? The friendly, welcoming attitude, hands down.

What do you feel are some challenges for the board? That sometimes the friendly attitude results in a don't-make-waves feeling, which can stifle discussion. Disagreement is GOOD, and can still be done in a respectful way.

I also feel like sometimes people are too respectful of spoilers, opting to not discuss a development for fear of spoiling it for someone. I wonder if, for current comics, we need two threads for certain popular books. Maybe I'll start a Walking Dead Trade Paperback thread (once I read the new one) and see how that fares. Because I don't want to set foot in the regular comic thread, but I'm sure there'll be stuff to talk about!

And Morrison has a gong?

And I agree with Randy that we are missing a certain amount of silliness ...

Hey, it's not like I'm not trying over here!  Sheesh.

And Morrison has a gong?

OK, that's just shooting fish in a barrel.  I don't even know where to start.

You have a barrel?

I plan on riding in it over the fiscal cliff, and then wearing it after my taxes go up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service