Replies

• Hmm, we should probably avoid actually commenting on the speech itself and its political aspects.  I will just say that UK politics can be incredibly bitter and divisive right now.

• I certainly don't want to start any political fights here, but since it impinges on our shared hobby, I thought I'd mention it. It's just funny to see a high-level Establishment figure quoting a comics character.  I guess Stan was right about comics being the modern mythology.

• There is certainly something to that.

Who else qualifies as widely known members of the modern pantheon?  I would say that, beyond Hulk, Superman, Batman and Spider-Man all qualify.

That will of course vary with place and time.  I seem to recall concluding that Spider-Man seems to be remarkably well-known in the UK when compared with other Marvel characters, considering how often book titles mention him specifically.

• I'd say Spider-Man is widely-known.  Last year, there was a story about a Chinese ambassador using the "With great power comes great responsibility"line. 

• And yet, no one ever quotes Mon-El. Poor Mon-El, the poor man's Superboy.

• Maybe there just hasn't been an opportunity for a politician to say "Lead! My one weakness!"  :)

Captain Comics said:

And yet, no one ever quotes Mon-El. Poor Mon-El, the poor man's Superboy.

• What I get a kick out of is that he's not quoting Hulk from the movies.

He's quoting silver or bronze age comic books.  Hulk's well known catch phrase and common situations from his Tales to Astonish run and onward.

What If ... P.M. Boris is ... one of us?

• John Dunbar said:

What If ... P.M. Boris is ... one of us?

It seems far more likely that he's working for the Russians. And I'm not joking.

• To paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen"

Prime Minister, I've seen the Incredible Hulk, I've watched the Incredible Hulk movies, I've read the Incredible Hulk comic books. Prime Minister, you're no Incredible Hulk.

• Well, he was born in '64, so  he's about the right age to have read some Hulk comics as a kid.

This reply was deleted.