This is a continuation of the Buffy the Vampire Slayer thread I started over on the “old board” last April. Alan and Mike convinced me that the show’s move from the WB to the UPN and the start of season six is a logical time to move this discussion to the board’s new home. For those of you who might be new to the discussion, I am in the process of watching this series, start to finish, for the first time. I don’t provide much in the way of recap because I’m working under the assumption that most of you reading this thread have at least a passing familiarity with the series. The ground rules of this discussion are simple: I can (and will) spoil anything I want to, but you can’t spoil anything I haven’t seen yet. Ready? Okay, let’s begin.

SEASON SIX: EPISODES 1/2: “BARGAINING—PARTS 1/2”

I actually don’t have much to say about the two-part season opener. Most of it was spent resetting Buffy’s apparent death at the end of season five. Shouldn’t her death have triggered a new Slayer to have been called up? Judging from the opening credits it looks as if Giles is going to be out of the cast on a permanent (or at least semi-permanent) basis. I’m really enjoying the development of the “relationship” between Buffy and Spike thoughout last season and into this one. Apparently even vampires are subject to classical conditioning!

Views: 261

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You know that reminds me... I did flip through that book because I saw the Gene Colan story and was reminded of the Colan Buffy/Daredevil commision you posted a while back (before I even knew who Buffy was, really). It's still on the old board but I can't see the posted image from work. I need to make a note to check it from home while I still have the opportunity.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
Giles showed up hearty and hale this episode as I suspected, but I had hoped it would have been revealed how he managed to escape what appeared to be certain death at the end of “Sleeper”. They did in fact flash back to that scene and I expected to see Giles duck the axe in the next frame, movie serial style. His escape wasn’t shown but that’s a minor quibble at best.

I find it fascinating that you don't even seem to suspect .... Um, oh, never mind. Photobucket
What, what!? Don't tell me "Giles" is really a manifestation of "The First"...!?

(No, really... don't tell me. :P )

We're out of old Doctor Who episodes to watch, John Stewart is on vacation, the new TV season hasn't started yet, and there is absolutely nothing of interest to watch on TV. Hmm... we may have to increase our Buffy-watching pace. We could do it, don't think we couldn't.
Jeff of Earth-J said:
John Stewart is on vacation

I know this is a typo for Jon Stewart, but I find the image of John Stewart's Daily Show amusing...
SEASON SEVEN: EPISODE 11: “SHOWTIME”

Wow, them's a whole lotta Slayer Wannabes! And one of them is Felicia Day from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Bog! That mental link-up is something new, but not entirely unbelievable given the nature of the show. It reminded me a bit of the Doctor Who episode "Blink" (or the reverse, actually, I guess) in that a set dialogue must fit two different conversations simultaneously. Come to think of it, they did that a couple of episodes ago in "Same Time, Same Place" too. Whedon seems to have adapted an old pulp formula and applied it to this entire season, except instead of chapters he uses episodes. As dark as this season may be, this episode shines as an example of when the heroes plan comes together perfectly.
Still enjoying your reports Jeff. Just don't have much to add. I think I only saw this series once, really and you might have a point that it was more satisfying to watch it closer together as it was so tightly linked continuity-wise.

Also I had to wait until it was on terrestrial television and they showed it early in the evening and cut some episodes to ribbons, so that the viewer even missed key plot points.

For this season, the novelisation - Chosen - was a single large book telling the whole season's arc between two covers, which is a little unusual.

I'd still have to reccomend a lot of the latter half of the first comic series. They got a chance to go in deeper into things that the series didn't have time to explore. We see the gangs reaction to Buffy's death over the summer that was skipped between seasons and we see more of what everyone's memories of the first 3 seasons might be like with Dawn on the scene.

'Haunted' is virtually cannon and is very satisfying as a series of lost episodes, again taking place during the summer 'break'. It's written by Jane Espenson who wrote many of the episodes that you've enjoyed. Check out the list on her wiki.

I personally loved the prequel series which you already own - A Stake to the Heart. I just like the way that it feels at once like the creators saying a melancholic goodbye to the Buffy comic and the whole Buffyverse and moving on - Buffy is leaving her LA days behind her and about to start a new life with her Mom in a new town. At the same time it is putting all the pieces in place for Welcome to the Hellmouth (sort of, with Dawn being there and all).

You'll probably get around to reading them some sad day when you realise that you've watched all Buffy and spin-off episodes and all Whedon-penned comic spin-offs and you need to scratch that itch.

The Tales of the Vampires are excellent btw. Some very interesting Indie creators and the aforementioned Genial Gene. You'll Plotz when you see his pencils.
Thanks for the feedback, Figs. I'll likely do exactly as you suggest: read the Whedon "Season 8" stories first and save the others for later (if at all). Plotz is Yiddish for "vomit" BTW, and it's unlikely I'll do that!

SEASON SEVEN: EPISODE 1: “POTENTIAL"

Not everything in this season is dark. Buffy's forces have rallied and handed The First a major defeat, and while he's licking his wounds the forces for good are reorganising and bolstering their forces.
Rumbled. I didn't know what Plotz meant, but was copying Krusty the Klown's usage of it.

But they are pretty powerful pencils, so I'm comfortable enough letting it stand! They are that good!
Oh, plotz is not Yiddish for "vomit" — its most direct translation is "split, crack, or explode", and has been used idiomatically, both in Yiddish and American English, to mean "to collapse or faint, as from surprise or excitement" for over 50 years now.

Figs, your usage is fine. Jeff, stop being so pedantic. :P
Hmm... That's what I was told by a Jew who speaks Yiddish. (I assumed he knew what he was talking about.)

Sorry, Figs.
I could see it being an idiomatic phrase meaning "to vomit" in Yiddish, but no... the word come from the Yiddish word platsn, which comes from the German platzen, both of which mean (more or less) "to burst."

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service