Buffy without Whedon?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i666afabc28491e6a5d5861d83ae30855 According to this, a new feature film is in development without Whedon's involvement or any of the characters from the series NOT Buffy. This is a bad, bad idea, man...

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I can't see it flying. It's not just that it's no Whedon, it's no Xander, Willow, Giles, Angel...any of the supporting cast from the show. They might as well call it "Bitsy, the Vampire Destroyer."
  • Ahem...let me clear my throat first before replying...ahem...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • This is hard. We try to be open-minded around here. Sometimes an idea is announced and we, fandom, just groan. And sometimes we are pleasantly wrong. When Star Trek was announced, I was a bit apprehensive. As it came closer, I started to be more interested. I ended up loving it.

But I can't see that happening with this. This is just a zarking bad idea. We're talking Halle Berry Catwoman bad. Worst idea ever? Nah. But it's up there.
  • I'm not a Buffy fan by any means but this just sounds like an odd idea. Wait at least 10 or 20 years before you decide to remake something. Buffy ended in what 2003? And Angel a few years later right? It doesn't seem like they've been off the air that long.
  • I don't know.

I've said on the old board that maybe Buffy is joining the big leagues Like Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan etc. She may be about to have an existence beyond her original incarnation and each generation will have their own version.

That's the most positive spin I can put on it. I love Buffy but if this turns out to be a stinker, Buffy is big enough to withstand it and we'll always have the original format shows, comics and whatnot.

Its also worth pointing out that the original producers/director took a punt on a very oddball concept at the time from a young writer and let Whedon establish a minor multi-media empire off it too. If they think they can legally make a few bucks off it after the dust has settled on Whedon's vision, perhaps they are owed that...

Big Media companies are often leary of having two versions of the same character out there if they have control over it, and the definite downside is that this might affect the ongoing production of the season 8+ comics.
  • The other comment worth making is that this may be another example of things 'speeding up' these days.

Just as reboots get closer and closer in comics and whatnot, this seems like a very short time for a new version of something to pop up. The dust has hardly settled on the SMG Buffy, and she's still going strong in the comics.
  • It looks as if this has just gotten one step closer to becoming a reality.

http://www.hitfix.com/blogs/motion-captured/posts/warner-bros-makes...
  • Jason Marconnet said:
    I'm not a Buffy fan by any means but this just sounds like an odd idea. Wait at least 10 or 20 years before you decide to remake something. Buffy ended in what 2003? And Angel a few years later right? It doesn't seem like they've been off the air that long.

By the time this movie gets into your friendly neighborhood cinema, it will be about 10 years after the TV show went off the air and 20 years since the first movie was in theaters.
  • I still think there might be mileage in it. There certainly needs to be something out there to counter the simpering creepy oddball whimper-fest that is Twilight. Buffy might do that, so long as she's still got the kick-ass 'tude.

It would take great film-making though.
  • Might as well strike while the vampires are hot. Pop culture cycles faster and faster these days. It might already be too late.

I doubt it will work for them, but I'm willing to be surprised.
This reply was deleted.