http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i666afab...

According to this, a new feature film is in development without Whedon's involvement or any of the characters from the series NOT Buffy. This is a bad, bad idea, man...

Views: 230

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wouldn't call it groping... embracing is more like it. Embracing naked. Still ... nice work if you can get it.
Rob Staeger said:
I wouldn't call it groping... embracing is more like it. Embracing naked. Still ... nice work if you can get it.

Hopefully they are both hetero, so they got full enjoyment out of the experience!
Mark S. Ogilvie said:
You mean things exist that aren't available online?Photobucket
Mark

Shocking, isn't it?

(By the way, Entertainment Weekly used to post all the articles from the magazine on its website. But then, if it did that, why should anybody buy the magazine?)
Associated Press story on reboot:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Vampires, beware: Buffy is coming back.

A remake of the horror comedy “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” is in the works at Warner Bros., the studio said Tuesday.

A studio spokeswoman says the project is in the earliest stages of development. It hasn’t even been green-lit yet, and there’s no director or star attached.

One thing we do know: Joss Whedon, who wrote the first “Buffy” script and created the TV series starring Sarah Michelle Gellar that became a pop-culture phenomenon, is not involved. The new script comes from Whit Anderson, a 29-year-old actress-turned-writer.

The original 1992 movie starred Kristy Swanson as a teenager who learns it’s her destiny to battle vampires.
No, there's not much Joss can do about it. He doesn't own the rights to Buffy or the other characters in the Buffyverse. Sounds like the situation a couple of guys named Siegel and Shuster got into about 70 years ago, huh?

If Joss had created Buffy in a novel, he would hold the copyright. But it usually doesn't work that way when you create something for a TV network, a movie studio or a comic book company. You're a hired hand, and the company owns the rights.
That's how the movie got screwed up in the first place, if I recall correctly.

George said:
No, there's not much Joss can do about it. He doesn't own the rights to Buffy or the other characters in the Buffyverse. Sounds like the situation a couple of guys named Siegel and Shuster got into about 70 years ago, huh?

If Joss had created Buffy in a novel, he would hold the copyright. But it usually doesn't work that way when you create something for a TV network, a movie studio or a comic book company. You're a hired hand, and the company owns the rights.
I’ve been giving this project some thought ever since KSwolf bumped this thread back to the top two weeks ago. I think it’s a good idea that the producers not try to recast Buffy’s supporting cast, Willow, Xander, Giles, Angel, Spike, etc. You know what other Buffy project didn’t include those characters? The original movie (which I watched for the second time over this past weekend). The new Buffy could work if they use the movie mythos as a starting point (Slayers, Watchers, etc.), then develop the franchise in an entirely new direction. I’ll tell you what I’d like to see: a sequel to the original movie starring Kristy Swanson and Luke Perry set in the present day, perhaps even featuring Kiefer Sutherland as Buffy’s replacement Watcher.

What about the new comic? This "reBuff" uses the familiar characters, but retools them for the present, like Ultimate Marvel, post-Crisis/etc DC, or Smallville. I haven't read it yet, but the first issue from late January is in second print already, and I I think I might check out this series.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service