OK, so I'm doing research for my book about journalism in comics, with an April 15 deadline and zero vacation time (thanks, Gannett). It will be peer reviewed, so even if I was inclined to be sloppy, I can't be.

I'm focusing on the interregnum between superhero regimes for now. I'm pretty much ignoring funny animal, teen humor and science fiction, since those generally don't have reporters in them. So it's mostly horror (and whatever EC's SuspenStories were) that I'm looking at.

I'm plowing through all my 1950s collections looking for stories where journalists or journalism play an important role. (Such as the lead character being a reporter, even if he/she doesn't do much reporting.) I'm also interested in stories that simply end with a reporter/editor hearing the tale and saying "I can't print that!" because it happened a lot, and I'm interested in counting those times.

A lot of this horror material is in public domain or has been reprinted by PS Artbooks, Luke Blanchard has pointed me to some online sites that might have some material PS hasn't gotten around to yet. (Thanks, Luke!)

So that's where I am (and if anyone wants to suggest some reporter story out of the blue, I won't turn it down). Where I've got a problem is with EC books that haven't been reprinted by Gladstone/Dark Horse yet. I think I've got a complete Tales from the Crypt, but both Haunt of Fear and Vault of Horror are at Vol. 4, at least one volume (six issues or so) from completion. Both Crime SuspenStories and Shock SuspenStories are at Volume 3, and I don't think that's near the end. There might even be some good material in the war books, but Frontline Combat is only at Vol. 1, and Two-Fisted Tales is at Vol. 2. Of the "New Direction" books, only Valor and Aces High are out.

Fortunately, I've got the B&W reprint of Extra! around here somewhere. But all those other books would be costly and time-consuming to find in any format.

So, I'm asking the Legion: If you have any reprints that haven't been collected in EC Archives yet, can you flip through them and see if there's anything I should know about? I'm especially concerned about prose stories, since the Grand Comics Database doesn't do summaries of those.

I don't know what to do about crime comics. DH collected nine volumes of Crime Does Not Pay!, but that's only about half the run. That's really the only one I'm familiar with, so I guess I'll just go through Luke's sites and look for the words "crime" and "police" in the title.

Views: 285

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can't think of a single thing that hasn't been mentioned already. The first thing that popped into my mind was Extra!, but you'd already thought of that. Good luck.

Captain Comics said:

The book will cover 1938 to present, so all suggestions are gladly received.  

Wish I could help more, but I hope you're including the 1994 miniseries Marvels, which is all about a reporter's POV.

On a lark I typed “newspaper,” “journalist,” “dateline,” and “reporter” into the Grand Comics Database under “story title.”  Hundreds of hits and much overlap, but there is probably something you could use.  Some text pieces and non-fiction, along with loads of stuff that probably aren’t applicable.

It appears that there are stories involving

Abbott and Costello

Superboy (of course Superman makes tons of sense, but ...)

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis

Mighty Mouse

Archie

Betty

Bruce Wayne (Batman #65)

J’onn J’onzz (Detective #253)

Aquaman (Adventure #210)

Batman & Superman (WF #80)

Nutsy Squirel

Flash (All-Star #2, Comic Cavalcade #21)

Crimson Avenger (numerous)

Torchy

Johnny Thunder

Bugs Bunny

Daffy Duck

Daisy Duck

Donald Duck

Mickey Mouse

Minnie Mouse

Goofy

Andy Panda

Underdog

Suzie

Pink Panther

Henry Aldrich

Candy

Choo Choo

Lady Luck

Rick Richards (Blue Bolt)

Flash Lyte

Black Hood

Little Lotta

Kid Click

Snapper Smith

Federal Men

Scribbly (#9)

Minstrel Maverick

Sgt. Fury (#110)

There are a bunch

The following seem to be ongoing series

Lucky Coyne/Jinx Jordan, Crime Reporter

Eric Westport, Crime Reporter

The Snortville Sneeze

Scoop Scanlon

Young Reporter

Red Logan

The Patriot (Jeff Mace) was a reporter

Front Page Peggy

Dick Quick, Ace Reporter

Jane Martin

Streak Sloan

Scoop Cody

Phantom Reporter

Here are a few individual stories that I turned up

”I Was a Crime Reporter” Crime Does Not Pay #86

”Reporter’s Romance” Confessions of the Lovelorn #82

”Dateline—Outer Space” Tales of the Unexpected #77 with Tom Conroy, war correspondent

There is also a “Dateline—Outer Space” with Tommy Tomorrow (WF #116)

Gang Busters #31

Egads, good luck!

Here’s someone I stumbled across who probably won’t make the cut:  Chip Martin, College Reporter (from a 1961 Bell Telephone ad).

When Bell had a monopoly in the United States, why did they need an ad?

Weird as it may seem I don’t think I ever lived in a part of the country served by the Bell System.  I grew up in Rochester, NY which had Rochester Telephone which wasn’t part of the Bell System, and when I finally left for graduate school it was to a GTE part of the country, and then Bell was broken up.

Richard Willis said:

Richard Willis said:

To stay top of mind? To burnish its reputation? Ads aren't always about enticing new customers.

Another reminder about this, for which I apologize in advance.

My main concern are the EC horror and crime books that Dark Horse/Gladstone have yet to reprint in the color archives format. Tales from the Crypt and Shock SuspenStories appear to be complete, so it's only three titles. I was hoping someone could steer me to an online site -- even a pirate one -- where I could look through those issues and see if any story offered a reporter protagonist or other journalism-type bits of interest.

I could probably do some guesswork off comics.org and other listings, except for the prose pieces, whose content is never mentioned anywhere. And since this book is going to be peer reviewed, guesswork and missing parts are really out of the question. I need hard facts.

As noted, I have all the Archives books that have been printed to date. I do not have any Russ Cochran reprints in any format, so I have never read and am concerned about:

Crime SuspenStories #19-27

Haunt of Fear #25-28

Vault of Horror #36-40

I have reprints of all of those.

I'll flip through them tonight and would be willing to loan you any that fit your needs.

...or I can just drop them all in the mail tomorrow and you can return them when you're finished, whichever you prefer.

You would do that for me? Seriously?

Yes, and please, mail them and I will mail them back. I will handle them with the care I would lavish on my children, if I had any.

And you are my hero!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service