Replies

• I hope so, but I've never seen any at a comic shop. I doubt those prices are attractive to retailers. But if the stories are good, who knows?

Have you read any?

• Not yet, but at least I might be able to afford this.

• I think the order form says the first books are coming out in May and June.

I notice they are going to be making appearances at a number of Barnes & Noble stores and several comic conventions, but seem to be skipping the San Diego, Anaheim(Wondercon) and New York cons. If I see them at Wondercon I'll let you know.

• I've read a couple issues of Scrimshaw. It's a very well written post apocalypse sci-fi story that would probably make a really good tv show.

I used to think it would be nice if Marvel and DC did newsprint color versions of their Essentials and Showcase volumes but I've since transitioned to digital format for pretty much everything I read.

I'd like to think there is a target audience out there for $1.50 newsprint comics.  But I'm not sure if that audience really exists anymore. Once your eye becomes accustomed to high quality paper or digital images with high tech coloring it's hard to go backwards. I could see parents buying them for their kids when going on a road trip or something but even then they would be competing with phones, ipads and other devices.

• They've been publishing for a while, I assume in the current standard comics format and trades (they refer to graphic novels). Newsprint is apparently new for them. I think a lot will depend on how good the printing is.

• A bit like wondering if people would go back to regular tv after watching HD?

Detective 445 said:

I've read a couple issues of Scrimshaw. It's a very well written post apocalypse sci-fi story that would probably make a really good tv show.

I used to think it would be nice if Marvel and DC did newsprint color versions of their Essentials and Showcase volumes but I've since transitioned to digital format for pretty much everything I read.

I'd like to think there is a target audience out there for $1.50 newsprint comics.  But I'm not sure if that audience really exists anymore. Once your eye becomes accustomed to high quality paper or digital images with high tech coloring it's hard to go backwards. I could see parents buying them for their kids when going on a road trip or something but even then they would be competing with phones, ipads and other devices.

• They probably wouldn't be very attractive to most existing comic readers but might be to new readers. Still, if they are only in comic shops and some Barnes and Noble stores, will they even see them? If they are only in comic shops it's like preaching to the choir.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

A bit like wondering if people would go back to regular tv after watching HD?
  • Still I've started scanning a new box of comics into my computer, first up was She-Hulk 1 1980 and in the same box is She-Hulk 1 1989. Better print, better color, both stories are still good... Of course there is a big change between Buscema and Byrne. But a good story is a good story and good art is good art and with marvel probably going to 4.99 standard pricing in a year or so tops I think 1.50 would gain a little bit of interest.

• Interesting. It doesn't look like my kind of thing, but I would probably be willing to try one that does look interesting if I'm thumbing through it. At $1.50, you don't have much to lose as long as it looked interesting.

• Doesn't seem like something like this would last very long in today's world. I suggest anybody interested in their comics to grab them while they can. I'll give them a try if I can find them. That's the real problem. You can have the best product in the history of the world but if you can't get it to the audience you might as well be making The Beast of Yucca Flats.

This reply was deleted.