Cappies 2014 Nomination Thread

It seems like everybody's warming up by posting suggestions on the Memory Box thread so we might as well launch the real thing- (in my best Kermit the Frog voice) It's the official Cappies Nomination Thread for 2014! 

The list of categories will be posted below.  But first, a few guidelines:

1. Anyone is allowed to make nomination from longtime members to new members who join right now.  If you can post, you can nominate.  If you've been lurking and want to participate, sign up today and join in the fun. 

2. You are allowed to nominated up to two suggestions per category.  At the other end of the spectrum, you are not required to nominate a candidate for every category.  In other words, 1, 2 or zero nominees per person.

3. Nominations are for 2014 work only.  Mini-series or story arcs that cross from one year to another ('13/'14 or '14/'15) are eligible (However, I reserve the right to eliminate nominees that already won for 2013- so you might not want to nominate Batman: Zero Year again).  I also allow some leeway for items that are cover-dated 2014 even if they technically came out in 2013. 

4. CHANGED: The nomination thread will be open for at least two weeks before I start posting polls (Jan. 5th, most likely). 

5. Most importantly: Have fun!

Okay, those are the rules.  Go to it! 

Best Writer

Best Artist

Most Underrated Writer

Most Underrated Artist

Best Self-Contained Story (Single Issue or One-Shot)

Best Story Arc

Best Limited Series

Best Ongoing Series

Best New Title

Most Underrated Title

Best Original Graphic Novel

Best Web Comic

Best Reprint or Archive

Best Male Character

Best Female Character

Best Villain

Best New Character

Best Supporting Character

Best Team

Biggest Surprise (in story only)

Best Cover

Best Character Recovery

Best Superhero/Comic Book Story in Another Media

Best Comic Book Adaptation or Licensed Property

RIP Award (for fictional characters)

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Best Writer: Rick Remender, Dan Slott

Best Artist: Steve McNiven, Fiona Staples

Most Underrated Writer: Chris Dingess

Most Underrated Artist: Nick Dragotta

Best Self-Contained Story (Single Issue or One-Shot): Astro City #16: “Starbright,” Edge of Spider-Verse #2: “Gwen Stacy: Spider-Woman”

Best Story Arc: “Victory,” Astro City #7-10, “Goblin Nation,” Superior Spider-Man #27-31

Best Limited Series: Death of Wolverine, Serenity: Leaves on the Wind  

Best Ongoing Series: Amazing Spider-Man, East of West

Best New Title: Deadly Class, Manifest Destiny

Most Underrated Title: Black Widow, Lazarus

Best Original Graphic Novel: Seconds by Bryan Lee O’Malley, X-Men: No More Humans

Best Web Comic: This Modern World

Best Reprint or Archive: Nexus Omnibus (Volumes 5-6), Nelvana of the Northern Lights

Best Male Character: Aric (X-O Manowar), Death (East of West)

Best Female Character: Forever Carlyle (Lazarus), Winged Victory (Astro City)

Best Villain: Malekith, Onslaught

Best New Character: Marcus Lopez (Deadly Class), Gwen Stacy/Spider-Woman  

Best Supporting Character: Kirsten McDuffie (Daredevil), Sacagawea (Manifest Destiny)

Best Team: Guardians of the Galaxy, Uncanny Avengers  

Biggest Surprise (in story only): Invincible is traumatized by Anissa (Invincible #110), Red Skull becomes Onslaught (Uncanny Avengers #25)

Best Cover: Death of Wolverine #1A, Ragnarok #1A

Best Character Recovery: Rupert Giles, Gwen Stacy

Best Superhero/Comic Book Story in Another Media: Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: Winter Soldier 

Best Comic Book Adaptation: Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10, The Graveyard Book

RIP Award (for fictional characters): Wolverine

• Wow, that was hard.  I wanted to nominate 3 or 4 choices in so many categories.  I hope you guys suggest some of my other ideas. 

• I've already changed my mind on a couple. I'm going with Nightcrawler instead of Giles for character recovery and Serenity instead of Buffy for best adaptation/licensed property.
  • Chris, I don't want to step on your toes, and I appreciate your efforts in running this, but can I suggest that we hold off on nominations for a couple of weeks? The holidays are a really busy time, both socially and in many cases professionally, and while I'd like to spend some time thinking about the year's comics, having a week deadline on this makes it one more thing to do (which I seem never to get done -- on more than on year you've needed to cull my choices from stuff I put in the memory box) rather than something I can sit down and put a little thought into. I really want to enjoy this, and instead, I have to hustle to try to squeeze it in, and always kick myself for leaving out a favorite.

I've thrown things into the memory box to make my eventual listmaking easier (and to recommend things to others) -- but I'd like the time and leisure to give it some concentrated thought. I think a week deadline is a good idea, in general, but this week and next are among the busiest weeks of the year. 

Maybe I'm alone in this, or maybe your time obligations are such that this is the best time for you, in which case I'll do my best with the time I have. (And if it works out that way, that's okay.) But I'm asking also because my stomach tied in a knot when I saw the deadline, and I wonder if others might like a little more warning and time to think, too. (And, perhaps, a chance to read Sandman Overture #4. Or the first new Miracleman story in decades, released on New Year's Eve.)

Regardless, some great nominations up there. Astro City had some really good stories this year.

Rob

• Of course, it could be just that it was really late, and I was feeling overwhelmed. No big deal.

• Since I don't read enough new comics to competently make nominations I "don't have a dog in this hunt," but because of all the activities and pressures at this time of the year I have a feeling a lot of the Legionnaires have the same problem as Rob.

Why don't the nominations start in January?

• I have a unique professional obligation that starts on Jan. 5 so I was hoping to have the Cappies finished up before then.  However, looking at last year's threads, we didn't start voting until Jan. 5 (which meant the nominating period was open until at least Jan. 4).   I don't mind keeping the nomination thread open for several weeks and starting the vote in early January.  It will be a little more complicated for me but I can make it work.  I do not want the Cappies to be stomach-tying or stress-inducing for anyone.  

• Thanks, Chris. I certainly don’t want to make your life difficult to make mine a little easier -- some of that was certainly exhaustion and the late-night crazies creeping into my mind. But I appreciate the extension, and will happily keep a list of categories next to computer, jotting nominations down whenever one comes to mind.

• Keeping this on the front page
  • Good idea... and thanks again, Chris. I'll do mine piecemeal, and hopefully do a final post that rounds all my noms up. But here's a category that I've no doubt about:

Best Superhero/Comic Book Story in Another Media: The Flash, Teen Titans Go!

The Flash is simply the best superhero TV adaptation I've ever seen, Very faithful to the comic version -- even better than the comic currently being published -- without shrinking away from what could seem silly onscreen. And even better, making those elements work so they're not silly! 

Teen Titans Go, on the other hand, is all-silly, all the time. It takes superhero tropes and follows them to ridiculous conclusions ("Body Adventure"), or examines real-world differences people have, like the mealtime tension between vegetarian Beast Boy and his meat-loving teammates ("Vegetables"). Or sometimes it just seems like surreal stoner bait ("Breakfast Cheese"). Regardless, it never fails to crack me up. (And even better, I picked up this week's issue of Teen Titans for that sweet Darwyn Cooke alternate cover (itself a possible Cappie contender), and Beast Boy and Red Robin sounded in my head exactly like the cartoon. Raven wasn't quite on, and I doubt Starfire and Cyborg would have, had they appeared -- their New 52 personas are too at odds with the cartoon. But that was a cool experience, reading with those voices in mind. (Not a bad issue, either!)

This reply was deleted.