This is a great time to be a Captain America fan. With two ongoing series written by Ed Brubaker (Captain America and Secret Avengers) several limited series either already begun or on the way, I thought it would be nice to have a thread in place to discuss them all. Both Captain America (#611) and Secret Avengers (#6) (as well as Captain America: Patriot which has a thread of its own) shipped this week, and both start new stories with the current issue.

Captain America #611 begins “The Trial of Captain America” in which Bucky Barnes is brought to trial for the crimes he committed as the Winter Soldier. Captain America is and has been for quite some time now my favorite ongoing title in the Marvel Universe.

Secret Avengers #6 begins the five-part “Eyes of the Dragon” which features Shang-Chi and the return of his father (whose name we are not supposed to use). I’ve never read much MoKF, but a couple of years ago I bought the whole series through an ad in the CBG from a store selling whole series sets. I’ve been saving it for a rainy day, and this story may just put me in the mood to read through it start to finish at last.

Views: 538

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm glad they did that, finally.  The avoidance was getting tiresome.  I was waiting for them to flat out call him "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named," and then they'd have to worry about J.K. Rowling's lawyers instead of Sax Rohmer's.

Jeff of Earth-J said:
SECRET AVENGERS #8: Shang-Chi's father has been given the name "Zheng Zu" so the Secret Avengers no longer have to refer to him as "Shang-Chi's father" all the time.
CAPTAIN AMERICA #613: Wheels within wheels as a plan set in motion by the Red Skull’s daughter (the new Red Skull) months ago comes to fruition. Steve Rogers and Bernie Rosenthal negotiate with Dr. Faustus for his testimony at Bucky’s trial. In the cliffhanger, the Red Skull and Master Man set about blowing up the Statue of Liberty in an act of terrorism.
CAPATIN AMERICA: HAIL HYDRA: Anyone reading this? I feel as if I got burned recently buying the first issue of Captain America: The Korvac Saga, and “once bitten, twice shy” and all that.
Oh, and what about that "Ultimate" Captain America #1 that shipped yesterday, too? Anyone read that?

Jeff of Earth-J said:
CAPATIN AMERICA: HAIL HYDRA: Anyone reading this? I feel as if I got burned recently buying the first issue of Captain America: The Korvac Saga, and “once bitten, twice shy” and all that.

It was pretty decent. the central idea is that Hydra has been around in many incarnations, under many different names, long before WWII. It's not an Earth-Marvel Adventures title; It appears to be in 616.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

Ah, that's what I wanted to know. Thanks, Dags!
The idea that Hydra has been around long before WWII fits in with what we're learning about SHIELD having been around for centuries.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Oh, and what about that "Ultimate" Captain America #1 that shipped yesterday, too? Anyone read that?

I read the first few pages in the Marvel Previews comic for Jan. At first I hated it, and thought "that's not how Captain America would act". He was storming an enemy base with a special ops crew, shooting around him willy nilly. Then I realised it was Ultimate Cap, and the guy here, written by Jason Aaron, was exactly the guy that Mark Millar wrote in The Ultimates. His swagger and slightly suicidal disregard for his own safety, as well as being much more like a 'real soldier' than the guy I grew up reading.

I loved it and was glad to see that Ultimate Cap is still as cool as ever.

It's strange that just realising which fictional Cap he was supposed to be changed my whole opinion of the comic...

There's also a great line from Cap which told me he was partnered with a British Special Ops team this time.

The early Ultimate comics were fun, and this little peak seems to show that the current Ultimate comics might be back on track again...
The mainstream Captain America is one of my favorite super heroes, but I never really saw him as a super soldier, more likely to sling his shield than fire a rifle. But the “ultimate” Captain America, him I see as a soldier.
MAN OUT OF TIME #3: Features a nice cover featuring headshots of all the men who have been President of the United States since Steve Rogers first became Captain America. Because this series is set in 1999, George W. Bush and Barack Obama should not be depicted; they are, but what the hell. Cap meets the President in this story, but despite copious clues that the year is 1999, the President is not Bill Clinton, but rather a generic silhouette. This story reveals that the MU at large found out “during the ever-cynical ‘80s” the multiple men who served as Captain America in the late ‘40s and early 50s. There’s also a nice tribute to the crew of the space shuttle Challenger.

The action jumps ahead a few days to shortly after the events of Fantastic Four #26. Captain America has fought the Hulk toe-to-toe and has become aware of the time machine possessed by Reed Richards. He intends to use it to return to 1945 to save Bucky’s life, and, to avoid contaminating the timestream, he plans to disappear with Bucky to live a life of seclusion, however Tony Stark advises against it and the President outright orders him not to.

One thing sticks in my craw about this issue. Tony Stark hires Radiohead to deliver a private performance for Steve Rogers. (No, that’s not it, although taking him to Roseland might have been more appropriate and less of a culture shock. Furthermore, big bands were experiencing a comeback in the late ‘90s. But I digress.) When Steve expresses an interest in the electric guitar, Tony remarks (to an aide), “See if Clapton can swing by later. If not, Jimi.” Surely Mark Waid (not to mention Tony Stark) is aware that Jimi Hendrix died in 1970!?

Other than that, good issue.
CAPTAIN AMERICA #614: Courtroom shenanigans with Dr. Faustus. Captain America confronts the Red Skull who has the Black Widow and the Falcon tied atop a stack of explosives at the base of the Statue of Liberty.

SECRET AVENGERS #9: This may simply be me slow on the uptake or not paying close enough attention, but is “Max Fury” intended to be the Nick Fury from the limited series released under Marvel’s MAX imprint a few years ago? If so, I’ll bet I know someone who’s pleased with that spin. (Right, Rich?) Also, is this “super soldier” John Steele the same guy introduced by Dan Jurgens a several years ago in a Captain America annual? There’s a character I wouldn’t mind if he remained a Mopee. (Too late now, I guess.) Still, if it is, at least Brubaker has retooled him as a Civil War and WWI vet, pre-dating Abraham Erskine’s Project: Rebirth. Maybe one of Brubaker’s story goals is to re-work unworkable characters (including Fu Manchu).

Both of these five-parters conclude next month.

Max Fury is an advanced LMD of Nick that has achieved sentience. His story was in Secret Avengers a few issues ago.

The MAX comics are their own separate continuities, and can be ignored by most people.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service