This is a great time to be a Captain America fan. With two ongoing series written by Ed Brubaker (Captain America and Secret Avengers) several limited series either already begun or on the way, I thought it would be nice to have a thread in place to discuss them all. Both Captain America (#611) and Secret Avengers (#6) (as well as Captain America: Patriot which has a thread of its own) shipped this week, and both start new stories with the current issue.

Captain America #611 begins “The Trial of Captain America” in which Bucky Barnes is brought to trial for the crimes he committed as the Winter Soldier. Captain America is and has been for quite some time now my favorite ongoing title in the Marvel Universe.

Secret Avengers #6 begins the five-part “Eyes of the Dragon” which features Shang-Chi and the return of his father (whose name we are not supposed to use). I’ve never read much MoKF, but a couple of years ago I bought the whole series through an ad in the CBG from a store selling whole series sets. I’ve been saving it for a rainy day, and this story may just put me in the mood to read through it start to finish at last.

Views: 538

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

So it was a case of me simply not paying close enough attention, then. Fair enough. One of these days I'll sit down to a marathon post-DoCA Brubaker reading session.

I'll support Rich Steeves cause! I really loved Gruenwald's run. Not so much for Cap's portrayal during the time (though I certainly appreciated his unwavering dedication to his cause), but because I loved the villains Gruenwald added to the mix: Extra Serpent Society members, Madcap, Flag-Smasher, Crossbones and USAgent (maybe not a foe per se, but a nemesis).

Just out of curiosity, does the current regime treat the Serpent Society as a joke? Do they still have a role in modern Cap comics? I've occasionally seen some disparaging remarks about them and always found that a little strange. They were a great gang!

They're not a big part. Diamondback has appeared and has been treated seriously.

Several members appeared last week in X-Men: To Serve and Protect #3. They were treated seriously.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! Comics and Games for Everyone!

I used to listen to WOXY.com; It was the future of rock-n-roll! RIP WOXY

MAN OUT OF TIME #4: This issue begins with Captain America and Thor discussing the vagaries of war in Arlington National Cemetery. Even as Cap goes about searching for information on Bucky Barnes and Peggy Carter, scenes from Avengers #5-6 flash by in the background. His inquiries regarding Nick Fury and Namor are dealt with a little more smoothly than they were originally, as well.

He does manage to locate the elderly General Jacob Simon, his commanding officer in the war. General Simon fills the gaps in 55 years of history which Tony Stark left out (and also alludes to what I assume is an untold tale, “that visit to the Golden Atom”?). Mark Waid crams a lot of history (both real and fictional) into this issue, yet it never seems cluttered. It leads up to the events of Avengers #8 and ends in a cliffhanger as Kang sends Cap back to V-J Day in Times Square.
CAPTAIN AMERICA #615: Although the Red Skull is defeated, she did score a symbolic victory and escaped bedevil Cap and crew another day. The trial has also come a conclusion, and whereas I’m reluctant ro reveal the exact circumstances surrounding the verdict, I will say that the story presented a most satisfactory resolution.

SECRET AVENGERS #10: Similarly, I’m reluctant to reveal the conclusion of this five-parter, but next issue promises a WWII flashback featuring Captain America (Steve Rogers) and the Super Soldier (John Steele).
CAPTAIN AMERICA & THE FALCON: This one-shot shipped today and I didn't buy it, but I'd be interested to hear an opinion of it from someone who did.
This month has a bunch of Captain America & .... one-shots. The only one I ordered was Captain America & Batroc because, jeez, how often will you find a comic with Batroc as part of its title?!?

Apparently, an atomic world story based on a Ray Cummings work appeared in Captain America Comics ##25-26. The GCD and the Atlas Tales site attribute the adaptation to Cummings himself. The GCD pages on the issues have story summaries.

A synopsis of Cummings's The Girl in the Golden Atom can be found here. I don't know whether it was the very first atomic world tale, but it's an early story of the kind.

(In "The Diamond Lens" by Fitz-James O'Brien a microscopist observes a woman in a drop of water. That dates to 1858.)

CAPTAIN AMERICA AND THE FIRST THIRTEEN: A one-shot featuring Sharon Carter by Immonem and Perez? Wow! Wait... what's that? I'm being told this is by Katheryn Immonen and Ramon Perez.Anyone read this?

CAPTAIN AMERICA & CROSSBONES: Since no one responded to my requests for information concerning the contents of the one-shots featuring the Falcon and Sharon Carter, I suppose it would be a waste of my time to ask about this one, wouldn’t it? Yeah, that’s what I thought.

FEAR ITSELF PROLOGUE: BOOK OF THE SKULL: This isn’t technically a “Captain America” book, but since it’s written by Ed Brubaker and features the Red Skull and Baron Zemo I’m going to post a reaction here. If anyone else wants to start a thread concerning with the entire crossover, be my guest. I probably won’t read anything but chapters in the titles I regularly buy. As a matter of fact, I don’t even know what titles those will be, and oddly, this “prologue” doesn’t provide a checklist. I assume most of you reading this this probably know already anyway, if you care. Where was I? Oh! “Book of the Skull,” right.

The action is split between the present day and 1942, as the current Red Skull enlists the current Baron Zemo’s help to follow up on one of her father’s unsuccessful schemes of WWII. She betrays him in the end, but does acquire a prototypal “object of power,” some sort of “mystic hammer” sent to the Nazis by the gods. Or rather, “not the gods… you misunderstand… just as they all did back…” as she attempts to explain to Zemo before being interrupted by one of her father’s booby traps.

All in all, the one-shot serves its purpose: it sets up the story to come.
I enjoyed the Fear Itself prologue. Not the best story ever but an effective set up for the event.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service