Captain Comics Reviews for Jan. 4, 2017

Reviews for books shipping Jan. 4, 2017, including:

• THE FALL AND RISE OF CAPTAIN ATOM #1

• JUSTICE LEAGUE #12

• JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: THE ATOM REBIRTH #1

• JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD #3

• LIFE & ADVENTURES OF SANTA CLAUS ILLUSTRATED BY ERIC SHANOWER (HC)

• RAGNAROK #11

Some  photo spoiler-1.gif involved. You are warned!

THE FALL AND RISE OF CAPTAIN ATOM #1

Written by CARY BATES and GREG WEISMAN

Art by WILL CONRAD

Cover by JASON BADOWER

Variant cover by GABRIEL HARDMAN

This issue will ship with two covers.

“Blowback” part one! Captain Atom hasn’t been seen or heard from in years — and even if you think you know what happened to him … you’re  wrong! But you’re not alone. To this day, no one on Earth — not even the other superheroes — has an inkling of the missing Captain Atom’s true fate. At last, the truth is about to be revealed in a saga that transcends not only the meaning of life and death, but the limits of time and space.   

On sale JANUARY 4 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T

I've always felt that DC never knew what to do with Captain Atom, the atomic-based Superman analog at Charlton Comics that is redundant in the DCU. This issue doesn't disabuse me of that notion.

At this point, Captain Atom has had so many revamps and power alterations and backstories that one could easily pick and choose which one to use instead of inventing a new one. Bates and Weisman choose the one where Captain Atom's powers aren't completely under control and cause what look like time jumps. (We'll know for sure next issue.) That's probably my second-least favorite, behind "jumping into the WildStorm universe to boost sales."

And that's pretty much all you get out of this issue. Talk about decompressed storytelling! It starts in 2012, and ends in -- if you can believe a newspaper blowing by -- 1994. In between we see Captain Atom's powers out of control (again), a brief appearance by three Justice Leaguers (including, I think, the New 52 Superman, as opposed to the current one) and confirmation that Gen. Wade Eiling is the worst human being in the DCU (as he always is, in every incarnation).

The art is OK. Since Captain Atom is essentially naked, Conrad has to be good at male anatomy, and he is. I do not care for the energy flare on Captain Atom's head that essentially make him look like he has a quiff. I realize that's the style among the young'uns today, but I think it looks stupid. Other than that, no complaints for what is essentially standard American superhero fare.

Random observations:

I kinda miss the old late-Charlton outfit the Captain sported with the blue and red elements. But I hope to never see his original gold-lamé ensemble from 1960 again. I suppose the Silver Surfer look is a compromise I can live with.

Gen. Eiling is black here. Has he ever been black in any of his other incarnations? I can't remember. Doesn't matter -- he's still a terrible person.

Captain Atom explodes in Kansas, which I suppose is a nod to Kingdom Come. They really shouldn't do that, because it draws negative comparisons.

JUSTICE LEAGUE #12

Written by TIM SEELEY

Art by CHRISTIAN DUCE

Cover by TONY S. DANIEL and SANDU FLOREA

Variant cover by YANICK PAQUETTE

A “JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD” tie-in! Behold the rebirth of one of the DC Universe’s most cunning villains as [REDACTED].

On sale JANUARY 4 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

This whole issue is essentially "the origin of Maxwell Lord" (it's actually titled "Max Lord: Rebirth"). Honestly, the rise of a spoiled rich guy with mind-control powers (or mind-suggestion powers) to try to rule the world doesn't really need to be explained, does it? I certainly didn't need it explained. And I certainly didn't want to read 32 pages explaining it. This story could be exempted entirely from the next Justice League trade, and no one would notice its absence.

Stray observations:

• Wonder Woman rather famously killed Max Lord prior to Flashpoint. I guess that's been erased.

• The Justice League appears exactly once in this story, in a flashback panel. Disappointing. Justice League is one of my favorite books, but not when the Justice League isn't in it.

• What this issue really is, is Justice League/Suicide Squad #0. It should be included in that TPB.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA: THE ATOM REBIRTH #1

Written by STEVE ORLANDO

Art by ANDY MACDONALD

Cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

Variant cover by TBA

SPINNING OUT OF THE PAGES OF JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD! Meet Ryan Choi, prodigious theoretical physics student with severe allergies  and crippling social anxiety. But little does young Ryan know, his first day at Ivy University marks the start of an epic journey into the very heart of the
DC Universe!

One shot • On sale JANUARY 4 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

DC is publishing a group of books like this, re-introducing the characters who will star in the upcoming Justice League of America reboot. Here it’s The Atom’s turn (three of him). I found it fairly bland.

The story is pretty straightforward, streamlining  the Ray Palmer and Ryan Choi versions of the character. Now, instead of Palmer being The Atom for years before throwing one of his students into the costume, Choi has been revamped to have been nearly always part of Team Atom, the tech guy who assisted from Palmer’s lab. Now it makes a bit more sense that Palmer would reach out to Choi to help him out of the Microverse by putting on a spare Atom belt, instead of endangering someone he had only corresponded with, as happened in All New Atom #1 (2006). 

As I said, pretty straightforward. Aside from the revamp that Choi has been assisting Atom since the Bronze Age (sometime after Palmer’s divorce from Jean Loring), there’s not much new here. There’s an attempt at some extra characterization for Choi, but he still seems like an uncomfortable cliche to me. (He's an Asian guy who wears glasses -- even in costume -- is good at math and is a nerd. If he's also a bad driver, the racial stereotype is complete.)

The art is equally bland. MacDonald’s work isn’t splashy or inventive and can best be described as serviceable.

Stray observations:

• We learn “Ryan” is a name Choi adopted on his first day at MIT Ivy University. I won’t reveal his given name here.

• We meet Adam Cray, who was originally the third Atom (in John Ostrander’s Suicide Squad) before being killed and/or written out of continuity. I won’t say who or what he is here. (Choi is now officially the third  Atom, after Palmer and Al Pratt. Will Cray be the fourth?)

• Both Choi and Cray were killed in the pre-Flashpoint DCU. Obviously, that is no longer true.

• The "new" Ryan Choi has crippling allergies, asthma and severe myopia. I don't recall the original being such a cliched sad sack, nor can I imagine these as advantages for a superhero. I think this is more of the "characterization" I referred to earlier.

JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. SUICIDE SQUAD #3 (of 6)
Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art and cover by JESUS MERINO and ANDY OWENS

Variant covers by TBA

This issue will ship with three covers.

Belle Reve Penitentiary. Headquarters of Task Force X, home to the worst super-criminal scum in the DC Universe and new residence of … the Justice League?! The Suicide Squad delight in showing Earth’s greatest heroes how the other side lives, and you’d better believe the Justice League needs to be restrained to hear the terrible secret Amanda Waller has to tell them.

On sale JANUARY 4 • 40 pg, FC, 3 of 6, $3.99 US • RATED T

I'm an issue behind discussing what I really want to discuss in this title, which is more veiled allusions to Dr. Manhattan having stolen 10 years from the DC Universe after Flashpoint. That happened in issue #2, but I failed to post any reviews that week. (It was Christmas week, and I had out-of-town company, Mea Culpa.)

Anyway, yes: This silly crossover idea (no doubt enforced from above due to the Suicide Squad movie) is not, as the title would suggest, six issues of the two teams whaling on each other. Instead, the promised donnybrook ended last issue, and in this one we learn the two teams must team up against yet a third one.

Is it a Spoiler to say that? Well, if so, so be it -- because it's really more of a tease. As at least two characters point out in JL/SS #1-2, the Suicide Squad taking down the Justice League -- or even holding their own -- is laughable. (The fact that Killer Frost did so almost single-handedly last issue must be written off as a plot necessity.) So what's the real threat? Well, it's five supervillains that are among DC's deadliest, who have a secret history with Amanda Waller, and have been brought together by Max Lord. Bonus: None of them are the ubiquitous Deathstroke!

Pretty cool. The next three issues have tremendous potential -- and the first three have already exceeded expectations. The one-on-one battles last issue were very old school and very well done.

The art is well above par also. Merino and Owens work in DC's house style (Jim Lee) with some Greg Capullo (or perhaps David Finch) fillips. It's very easy on the eye, and occasionally goes big. These guys have a future.

Stray observations:

Three times in issue #2 characters refer to previous versions of themselves, to the consternation of those around them. Harley Quinn refers to a light-hearted team-up with Wonder Woman (in Harley Quinn's Little Black Book), which the latter doesn't remember. Killer Croc refers to his first meeting with Aquaman at Amnesty Bay, which the Sea King doesn't remember. And Emerald Empress (Oops! Spoiler! She's on Lord's team!) says "I must find the Legionnaire," which drags in the LSH and that bit with Saturn Girl being locked up in Metropolis, which is also connected to the lost time of Dr. Manhattan. Yes, these are basically teasers, but they work -- I am well and fully psyched for Batman figuring this out and for a big, old-fashioned Crisis.

Waller observes that Emerald Empress' eye exhibits elements of Green Lantern technology. That always seemed likely to me, going back to her first appearance in the Silver Age. Has it ever been confirmed before?

One thing I can't see after this crossover is the return of the status quo. How can the League, now that it's aware of the Squad (and Waller breaking into the Batcave) allow Task Force X to continue? It's obviously going to, and I can't think of any way to make that happen plausibly. I fear it will happen implausibly.

LIFE & ADVENTURES OF SANTA CLAUS ILLUSTRATED ERIC SHANOWER (HC)

IDW PUBLISHING

L. Frank Baum (A/CA) Eric Shanower

Both of L. Frank Baum's classic Santa Claus tales are collected here: The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus and A Kidnapped Santa Claus, with with beautiful spot illustrations and cover art by Eisner Award-winning comics creator Eric Shanower.

The decorated master stor-teller of Oz finds new Baum tales to illustrate for today's new audiences!

SRP: $16.99

I'd never read L. Frank Baum's Santa Claus stories, and have always been curious as to why they're not more readily available. Now I know.

They are not terribly good. They're well constructed, of course, but once Baum takes Santa Claus out of the North Pole and places his origin in a hidden forest full of elves and such, even the dullest reader can guess how the story is going to progress. There are no surprises whatsoever as young Claus learns he loves children, learns to make toys and develops his philosophy -- all abetted by his "immortal" forest friends, who will, of course, take their place with him in the modern mythology as toy-making elves. 

But children don't really need originality, do they? Especially when dealing with a long-running myth like Santa Claus. So that's probably not why these stories fell out of favor.

At a guess, it's probably all the references to how Claus prefers children to adults -- holding them, hugging them, luring him to his cottage workshop. I know that Baum never meant anything untoward by this approach -- in fact, our current Santa Claus does in fact love children, and there are some creepy elements even there if you choose to see them ("He knows when you are sleeping ..."). But there is just so much of it in these stories, that eventually, to a modern reader, it just gets uncomfortable. It was probably fine in whatever century these books were written, but in today's world, where "don't take candy from strangers" is a maxim, a stranger who gives candy to children doesn't work.

Perhaps I'd be more mollified if there were more Shanower illustrations. Alas, there are precious few.

RAGNAROK #11

IDW PUBLISHING

(W) Walter Simonson (A/CA) Walter Simonson

Thor Odinson and the Black Elf assassin, Regn, face off against the Lord of the Dead and his draugar in the Dark Tower, the citadel of his power that stands on the edge of Hel.

SRP: $4.99

I have very little new to add from previous reviews of this series. Ragnarok is a terrific book, and you should be reading it. Simonson's art is as crisp as it ever was, and his awesome design sense has, if anything, grown more awesome. Visually, it's a joy to behold.

Storywise it's been fine. Obviously, Simonson can't go anywhere near any of the material he did for Marvel's Thor back in the day. So this Thor is entirely different.

He's dead, for one thing. It's still not explained how he's walking around (or if it was, I glided over it while drooling over the art). But I've always felt that this series would somehow revivify this Thor (and maybe give him his lower jaw back) for some even more insane Simonson adventures in the future. This issue, however, is the first to shake that belief, as Thor seems to be coming down with a severe case of end-of-series-itis.

I hope not. But if so, that's all the more reason to treasure this series while it's still coming out.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One thing I can't see after this crossover is the return of the status quo. How can the League, now that it's aware of the Squad (and Waller breaking into the Batcave) allow Task Force X to continue?

At the end of the Suicide Squad movie, which I finally saw, Bruce Wayne warns Amanda Waller to shut down the Task Force X or he and his friends would do it, which causes her to look very uncomfortable. Sounds like they are trying to set up such a conflict in both the comics and the movies.

• Oh, man -- I think I missed a few issues of Ragnarok! It's a cool series -- I'll have to dig around and see where I drifted away from it. 

• Briefly…

CAPTAIN ATOM: Not too interested in this version of this character. My favorite version is the late Charlton one you mention.

THE ATOM: Not too interested in this version of this character, either. I read the first three issues of the 2006 series (wow, has it been ten years ago already?), but when Byrne stopped providing the art, I stopped buying. I didn’t even wait until the completion of the first story.

SUICIDE SQUAD: I am congenitally unable to become interested in this version of this group. I can’t even bring myself to read the FCBD issue I picked up, and that was free.

RAGNAROK: Read the first issue and trade-waited on the basis of that. I have the first hardcover collection, but haven’t read it yet. I’ve pre-ordered the second, which seems to me should be shipping this month or next. I’ll try to slot them both in when the second ships.

SANTA CLAUS: Surprisingly, I bought this one today based on your review. (Not on what you said, but on the exerpt you posted.) I thought the sample read okay. I have two young nieces I haven’t met yet, and hope to be reading to them someday.

• Cary Bates was the initial writer of Captain Atom in the 1980s. The GCD tells me he and Greg Weisman co-wrote the series from #10, and did most of the issues up to #50.

• That was a good cover on the Justice League.

• Alexandra Kitty said:

Captain Atom was never a good fit for DC. I liked his Charlton run, but DC already had Superman. Dr. Manhattan was more interesting, but DC didn't pick up from that, which surprises me.

I was just reading the wikipedia history of the character. Wow! They really just cannot figure out what to do with him.
  • Oh Captain.....

Just wanted to say -- loving this new format. Definatly prefer it to your what's coming out lists.

Thanks

•  Come to think of it Waller's big problem now that she has the Justice League is what to do with them?  If it were marvel SHIELD would probably dissect them, but I don't think she'll do that.  Even if she can hold them for an indefinite period, sooner or later Super Girl or Bat Girl or someone else is going to start looking for them, or what happens if some Justice League level menace shows up?

• Captain Comics said:

Pretty cool. The next three issues have tremendous potential -- and the first three have already exceeded expectations. The one-on-one battles last issue were very old school and very well done.

Yes. I'm enjoying this as a big, dumb, turn your brain off, old school super hero crossover. Definitely more entertaining than Civil War II.

I don't really understand the decision to put Cary Bates back on Captain Atom though. His previous run was pretty dull and not hugely popular so why go back to that well?

• Actually, when Bates was writing Captain Atom was the only time I ever really liked him. (Just the same, i'm not picking up the current series; there's plenty of Rebirth books I'm not buying that I've more interest in than Captain Atom, regardless of writer or approach.)

This reply was deleted.