The USA Today reviewer mentions it in his glowing review of the iPad. CBR has a wee bit more.

The big question: Will digital and print versions be available on the same day?

Views: 335

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think there will probably fairly quickly be an almost universal reader app, with Marvel as the lone holdout for a year or so.
Some thoughts in no particular order...

$1.99 per issue sure sounds good to me and, as I said before, not actually needing storage space for the comics is a great benefit, too.

I read the press release a couple of times and if it said anything about how soon new issues would be released for the iPad or how many would be than I missed it. That, combined with the cost of the blessed thing in the first place, is still the deal breaker for me. When I can buy the new issue of Captain America (for example) as a digital comic the same day that it is available as a physical copy then I'll be far more interested.

Do I feel bad for retailers? Well, yeah. If comics companies start releasing digital titles at the same time as physical copies then it will naturally have a negative affect on store sales. If there's a bright side here, it's that I suspect we'd be years away from the new digital comics being released like that. It's kind of like how traditional video stores are dying off because of easier & more cost-efficient alternatives like Netflix and Redbox. There's part of me that still wants to have my own comicbook store but that now seems further away then ever.

I don't see the need for a universal (multi-versal?) company app. Run the Marvel app for Marvel titles, the DC app for DC titles, etc. That's not a big deal to me.

Beyond having a back-up for your purchased issues (in case something happens to your iPad), I also don't see the need to transfer purchased issues around. Yes, that would mean that my clone would either have to buy his own Fables stories or read them while at my house but, again, that's not a big deal to me.
Cavalier said:
I don't see the need for a universal (multi-versal?) company app. Run the Marvel app for Marvel titles, the DC app for DC titles, etc. That's not a big deal to me.

I agree with you here.
We got a press release on this today (April 2): Comics News
PowerBook Pete said:
Cavalier said:

I agree with you here.

It may not make a difference to an individual's usability, but publisher-specific apps (and, more significantly, proprietary lockdown) I think will be a huge stumbling block for comics to really take off in an electronic medium.

It's not so much a matter of "a Marvel app for Marvel titles, a DC app for DC titles"...it's more the barrier it creates for the smaller and independent publishers. If you want to create a comic for the iPad, but suddenly you're stuck not only having to make the comic itself, but have to create a way for people to be able to read it, too? That would be like if anyone who wanted to publish a print comic book had to devise their own printing method on top of coming up with the content. What I'm saying is, it's a barrier for publishers with less significant financial underpinning, and closing those publishers out of the medium is not a way for comics to thrive in said medium.
In this case, I believe the platform matters more than the app. Also, there are so many developers working on these things, a small publisher, or even someone without a publisher will probably find one they can use to get their content out.
I downloaded the Marvel app for the iPod, but I haven't put it on the iPod yet. I'll try the free comics to see how they look on the small screen.
The creators of Atomic Robo have already enjoyed considerable success with whatever iPhone app they went with. The comic was even featured in a TV ad for the iPhone. I imagine the indy publishers will rally around Comixology and the other comic apps that are already in business.
I also downloaded Comixology and saw that Atomic Robo was one of the offerings there. Marvel's app appears to be a re-branded version of Comixology.
Also, FileMaker's Bento is available for the iPad to let you build a database to keep up with all your comics, physical and electronic.
PowerBook Pete said:
I also downloaded Comixology and saw that Atomic Robo was one of the offerings there. Marvel's app appears to be a re-branded version of Comixology.

Marvel's press release noted that they worked with Comixology to create their app.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Captain Comics posted discussions
48 seconds ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Exactly."
16 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"THE MISSOURI BREAKS: This may not be the greatest western ever made, but where else are you going…"
18 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Michael Rennie was illThe day the Earth stood stillBut he told us where we standAnd Flash Gordon…"
28 minutes ago
Richard Willis replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"Amazon says: Walt Disney's Uncle Scrooge "The Golden Nugget Boat": The Complete Carl…"
30 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Re-watching The Day the Earth Stood Still (1951).  According to the commentary…"
35 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Captain Comics's discussion Conan license yanked from Marvel Comics
"I suppose that's a hazard of bringing a licensed property into your "universe"."
56 minutes ago
Captain Comics replied to John Dunbar's discussion Marvel and DC Golden, Silver, and Bronze Age collections
"Fantagraphics lists Carl Barks Library Vol 27 for September!"
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Cavaliere (moderator emeritus)'s discussion What are you watching right now?
"I'm adding the Carlin doc to my tobewatched list."
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"DC: THE NEW FRONTIER: This 2004 Darwyn Cooke mini-series treats DC comic of the 1950s as if they…"
3 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I think: lower left corner is Archie Goodwin; bottom center is Denny O'Neil; by…"
3 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Someone else has already posted the classic Strange Adventures' Deadman cover this one is…"
3 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service