The USA Today reviewer mentions it in his glowing review of the iPad. CBR has a wee bit more.

The big question: Will digital and print versions be available on the same day?

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Browsing through the Comixology and iVerse apps, it looks like DC may be the only holdout.
Considering that DC is a small part of a huge entertainment company, it can only be a short amount of time before they come up with a system, too.
I'm not ready to rush out and get one yet, either, but I'm pretty sure they'll run on battery power as well as a cord to an outlet

Mark S. Ogilvie said:
Still once the power goes out I can't read and iPad with a candle and I've done that with comic books in some power failures.

Mark_S
Scott Kurtz on the iPad

Here's a question - I've held off on buying an iPod, because I don't have a computer or internet access at home, so it wouldn't be easy for me to download stuff to it. So, here's the question: Is this iPad thing like that?
The Baron said:
Scott Kurtz on the iPad

Here's a question - I've held off on buying an iPod, because I don't have a computer or internet access at home, so it wouldn't be easy for me to download stuff to it. So, here's the question: Is this iPad thing like that?

As far as I know, yes.
OK, thanks. More technology not to buy. Flintstones! I'm the Flintstones!
Reading on Apple's website, it sure seems that the iPad has a wireless internet connection. Any place that has a hot spot (McDonald's, Starbucks, etc) will work fine for you, then.
I liked Kurtz's piece -- especially the rant about comics. :)

I'm very much of two minds on this: on the one hand, I agree with what Cory Doctorow wrote (which Ana linked to earlier in this discussion) about its limited hack-ability and strictly controlled content being roadblocks to the innovation the iPad can bring. But I also agree with what Xeni Jardin wrote about how its much more vivid relationship to how people experience media really open the door on the innovations the iPad can bring. (And all this opinion without actually having, y'know, used an iPad.)

Ultimately, all I really know is that I would love to have one (though I'd be perfectly happy waiting a few generations if it meant a more effective product).
Cavalier said:
Reading on Apple's website, it sure seems that the iPad has a wireless internet connection. Any place that has a hot spot (McDonald's, Starbucks, etc) will work fine for you, then.

True, but you have to have a computer to manage the content on it. On my iPod, for example, I can download and install applications, but I cannot remove them unless it's attached to my computer.
The discussion on comicbook pricing was kind of taken over by this subject so I thought I'd resurrect this thread.

One downer for me as a potential iPad owner is that I'll only want to buy new comics, or at least comics that are new to me, for it. Sure, I'd love to downsize my physical collection but I also don't want to pay for another copy, even a virtual one, of a comic that I already have. This is similar to the reason why I still have movies on VHS. I just don't want to pay twice for the same story.

I'm also, I have to admit, a little scared that I might go overboard with my purchases. I understand that some people have gone "crazy" and downloaded music until they're up to their ears in debt. But perhaps my realizing that there's the potential for a problem will keep me from it actually becoming a problem.
DC now has an app similar to Marvel's, also based on Comixology.
PowerBook Pete said:
DC now has an app similar to Marvel's, also based on Comixology.
Finally! I knew that Dark Horse, IDW, and Boom were already set up with apps. Nice that DC joined the crowd. I would guess it was just a matter of having contracts straightened out, not any actual reluctance on DC's part.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service