"'Cause they taped it on only one day..." - NBC's The Sound of Music

...The NBC-TV remake of Rogers & Hammerstein's THE SOUND OF MUSIC as a " live play " production's airing is about one month in the past now , and I meant to post about it here before that ! But I didn't...

With 18 million viewers IIRC , it certainly qualified as " a hit " . NBC even repeated it a week-and-a-halfish later .

I saw it both times:-) .

It was meant to be a " TV play/live production " in the mode of the PLAYHOUSE 90/BELL TELEPHONE HOURs of yore , NBC claiming " For the first time in fifty years..." . I , myself , on the West Coast of the continguous 48 states of the USA (California) saw it as an immediate taped repeat , anyway , being 3 time zones to the west of the Eastern Time Zone , where it would have indeed shown live ~ along with the Central Time Zone .

The Mountain Time Zone , especially for such a " holiday special " as this , I am not so sure about . Anyone ?????

Has it shown outside of the U.S,. yet ~ I know we have Australian and Canadian residents here , others ???

Views: 2867

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Richard Willis said:

* A year or two ago I saw a live production of West Side Story. Some of the songs lyrics are a little more suggestive than the film version. I'm willing to bet the stage version I saw was using the original lyrics.

Wikipedia lists various differences between the movie and the stage version "West Side Story: Differences from the stage show", including changed lines in some of the lyrics, the songs and some of the scenes are at different moments, there are a couple of characters new to the movie, etc. 

...There is a paperback novelization of WSS too (dating from the stage version , not the movie) which includes comic book references !!!!!!!!!

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

Are you saying that in the movie the " 16 Going On " young Nazi almost turns them in more up-frontly than in the NBC ?

I mixed up my words a little. As I recall the movie version softens his character more.

BTW , what consequrnces , if you know , does any fuller version spell out for Max's streching out of the announcing of the winners of the singing competition , which allows the von Trapps to escape ?

I don't remember Max's delaying tactics in the movie, but I haven't watched it in awhile.

Clearly , as the Nazis rush the stage , they are at least suspicious of Max's actions .

I think Max had a problem with the Nazis after the von Trapps escaped. It's not like they would have to prove their suspicions, being Nazis.

You don't understand what I'm saying about chest shaving ?

I thought I was agreeing with you. A recent local stage version of South Pacific had a hairy-chrested Billis while all the other Seabees had shirts or T-shirts. Incidentally, I recently came to the conclusion that the Tonkinese characters of Bloody Mary and her daughter hailed from North Vietnam, AKA Tonkin. Bloody Mary was based on a real person Michenor knew. There is more elaboration on this in this Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Pacific_%28musical%29

I seem to recall reading of a recent-ish production of WSS (done when Authur Laurents was till alive) that had the Spanish characters singing in Spanish (generally , anyway) when they were alone and may have had Maria's lyrics become a little more " simplistic/innocent " and less " Broadway/clever " to reflect the " more naive/FOB type of person " she is . Was that what you saw ?????

I didn't see the bi-lingual production. The one I saw had the lyric "on their knees praying" implying a different reason for being on their knees. It was in a family-friendly theater, so I don't think this was changed from the original. They're not allowed to deviate in stage plays like they do in the movies.

...You mean a sexual " knees " reason ? What song ? I forgot . I recall reading " America " was considerab;y extended in the movie .

Saying " f*ck " was still pretty taboo then (as , heh , is is here still !!!!!!!!!!!) , re the end of " Gee , Officer Krupke " .

This Spanish-ized version I mentioned is detailed (somewhat) in Laurents's WEikipedia entry .

I don't know if this " simplification " of Maria's lyrics was actually done , or just talked about by Sondheim as a " If I did it to-day..." .

OK , ha , 'bout chest-shaving .

It's quite common now , was likely rare then , methinks , certainly among enlisted USN seamen !

Yeah , Gillis has tatoos , that's even in Michene's book IIRC , the PBS I saw had (clearly " artificial "/drawn-on/temporary tattoos , of the decidedly OLD-old-school type , upon the actor who played Gillis's chest .

I meant Max's tactics in the NBC I haven't seen the Fox film for a long time either .

The division of " North/South Vietnam " didn't exist in the 40s , when Vietnam was French-colonized , but , I presume you know that .

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

You mean a sexual " knees " reason ? What song ? I forgot . I recall reading " America " was considerab;y extended in the movie .

I just did a lot of digging without turning up this difference. If/when you watch the movie again there is a reference to girls being on their knees, I think by Anita.

Saying " f*ck " was still pretty taboo then (as , heh , is is here still !!!!!!!!!!!) , re the end of " Gee , Officer Krupke " .

According to what I just read there were no actual four-letter words in either version. There were some close calls, which they tweaked for the movie.

The division of " North/South Vietnam " didn't exist in the 40s , when Vietnam was French-colonized , but , I presume you know that .

What is now Vietnam was for a long time (19th century to 1954) three provinces of French Indochina:

Tonkin, Annam and Cochinchina (see map). When I was there in 1969 I was a little more than half-way up the former Annam portion, north of Hue, about ten miles from what was then North Vietnam.

...Yeah , for " Krupke " , it's , what , " Krup you ! " ???????????

Apparently that's the same as the stage play. I think they have a different Jet singing it for some reason.

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Yeah , for " Krupke " , it's , what , " Krup you ! " ???????????

...Please allow me to point out that I did try to drag some funnybook into this , with the header ~ Of course , taken from the immortal MAD PARODY of TSOM  - parodied/changed appropriately , of course , the original was " Cause they filmed it on five different days " , IIRC...When I was a kid I think I thought that was , maybe , a reference to how long it took for the entire FILM to be filmed !!!!!!!!!

When I thought the old blog function here was still on , I thought I could have some sub-headings , too , such as " Only sell reserved seats - Turn most people down " and , of cours , the immortal - " But Austria is a landlocked country !!!!!!!!!!! " !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

???????????????????????????????????

...MAD magazine's old parody . " The Sound Of Money " .

www.madmagazine.com/blog/2013/12/05/classic-mad-sound-of-money

Well , try entering " Mad magazine the sound of money " into Yahoo! (!)

You dropped a slash. Here's a link.

...Thank you . Whether I did or didn't .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Why can't it be both?"
12 minutes ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"I didn't realize that Naomi was a Fatu until I looked up her real name. I feel like every…"
13 minutes ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Either Neal had some deep resentment towards the Bottle City of Kandor or he just wanted to draw…"
30 minutes ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion Pro Wrestling
"Naomi is married to Jimmy Uso thus connected to both Roman Reigns and the Rock. She'll be…"
34 minutes ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
""She's on a mission from God.""
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUE #27 - "...by demons driven!" This issue's introduction/recap is provided by…"
1 hour ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
""She's tied up on an urgent mission of her own.""
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"Keep going! Tracy and I stopped watching a while ago because we were getting too far ahead of you.…"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
""She's on a mission in space.""
2 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
"Tracy is out of town this week so I won't be watching tonight's episode until Sunday at…"
2 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to ClarkKent_DC's discussion 'This Is Us' -- Season 4 (and others)
"Tonight is the penultimate episode of This Is Us.  In an appearance last Monday on The…"
2 hours ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Dark Shadows
"Caught a few more, jumping ahead 300 episodes to eps 582 and 583. Barnabas discovers Jeff…"
2 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service