"'Cause they taped it on only one day..." - NBC's The Sound of Music

...The NBC-TV remake of Rogers & Hammerstein's THE SOUND OF MUSIC as a " live play " production's airing is about one month in the past now , and I meant to post about it here before that ! But I didn't...

With 18 million viewers IIRC , it certainly qualified as " a hit " . NBC even repeated it a week-and-a-halfish later .

I saw it both times:-) .

It was meant to be a " TV play/live production " in the mode of the PLAYHOUSE 90/BELL TELEPHONE HOURs of yore , NBC claiming " For the first time in fifty years..." . I , myself , on the West Coast of the continguous 48 states of the USA (California) saw it as an immediate taped repeat , anyway , being 3 time zones to the west of the Eastern Time Zone , where it would have indeed shown live ~ along with the Central Time Zone .

The Mountain Time Zone , especially for such a " holiday special " as this , I am not so sure about . Anyone ?????

Has it shown outside of the U.S,. yet ~ I know we have Australian and Canadian residents here , others ???

Views: 3023

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I haven't seen the stage version, but this article from last month says the Grease Live version will combine elements from both the stage and film versions.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2015/12/17/fox-grease-live-mu...

Did anybody else watch Grease! Live

As promised, this version was a blend of the stage version, which I've never seen, and the movie. I've seen the movie in bits and pieces over the years and wasn't bowled over by it. (Partly because I'm not the biggest John Travolta fan.)

But I have to say Fox blew NBC out of the water with Grease! Live. The biggest difference is that it was sheer fun! And they definitely spared no expense in staging this version. They set it across two soundstages and even had a couple of outdoor sets, and let you see from time to time that they were using golf carts to get the actors from one place to another. It had a huge cast of extras and dancers, extended cameos from two actors from the movie, and winning performances by the young actors in the leads.

More than kudos goes to Vanessa Hudgens who performed live only a few hours after her father died of cancer.

Young performers' scandals and antics get more attention than their excellence and professionalism.

We just watched Grease Live on our DVR. It was very well done. I second the kudos to Vanessa Hudgens. Some fun casting was Didi Conn, who played Frenchie in the movie, playing Vi the waitress and interacting with the Frenchie character; also Eve Plumb (Jan of the Brady Bunch) playing Mrs. Murdock, the Auto Shop teacher.

NBC to present its first non-musical live stage production, A Few Good Men:

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/03/30/few-good-men-aaron-sorkin-nbc-...

Just like the others, this TV production is based on the play, not the movie. 

A decade or so ago, CBS did a live TV production of the Cold War thriller Fail-Safe, produced by and starring George Clooney, Don Cheadle, Richard Dreyfus and other A-list stars. 

This is a trend I can get behind. 

There was an active popular theatre into at least the middle of last century, and I've not found it very easy to find out about. (My interest is in quality popular theatre, as opposed to art theatre. I want to read the mystery plays!) Interesting films based on plays that leap to mind include two of Hitchcock's, Rope and Dial ‘M’ for Murder (note that Hitchcock filmed these like plays); two of Capra's, You Can’t Take it With You and Arsenic and Old Lace; And Then There Were None(1) and Witness for the Prosecution, both based on plays by Agatha Christie; and The Odd Couple, Wait Until Dark, The Anniversary, Sleuth, and Deathtrap. His Girl Friday is a version of The Front Page(2) and Thunder on the Hill of Bonaventure(3). Gene Wilder starred in a really good version of Rhinoceros.

Irma la Douce is a rare case of a film version of a stage musical that dropped all the songs. The 1931 version of Dracula was based on a stage version, in which Lugosi had starred. And how could I neglect to mention Devil Girl from Mars?

(1) The René Clair version is in the public domain.

(2) With Hildy Johnson's gender switched. 

(3) I only mention this one because I saw an amateur production of Bonaventure once.

Luke, did you say you want to read the plays or see them?

In the last two years I've seen on stage:

You Can’t Take it With You
Arsenic and Old Lace
And Then There Were None
Wait Until Dark

I don't know how available they are as scripts to read. I believe the theaters have to pay fees to obtain the scripts and perform them.

To read them is all I hope for. I figure there were likely good plays that didn't get made into movies and are forgotten today. They're not terribly likely to be staged, and I shouldn't pretend to be a regular theatregoer.

At booksales one sometimes comes across old collections of plays. I have Dial "M" for Murder in Famous Plays of Today (1953). The publisher did a number of these volumes.

Our high school students did Arsenic and Old Lace a couple of years ago.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Luke Blanchard replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 957 Super-Heroines
"Freckles Marvel (Fawcett) -Uncle Dudley's niece adopted this identity and adventured with…"
19 minutes ago
"The Supergirl of the 5020th century -From Supergirl's feature in Superman Family #215-#216."
44 minutes ago
"Strong Girl from "Power Battery Peril", Green Lantern (Silver Age) #32 -An alien…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 957 Super-Heroines
"Therwe's a lot that I don't know abouit Silver Age DC."
1 hour ago
"Visually she's a female version of Johnny DC, a house ad character from the Silver Age. The…"
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 957 Super-Heroines
"Added Patriette from Common Grounds."
1 hour ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 956 Super-Heroines
"Added: Belle Air Buffy the Vampire-Slayer Charm Kittycat Knockout Magna-Woman"
2 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion The List of 950 Super-Heroines
"Added: Doll Woman "Earth-10" Firehawk "Tangrnt" Green Lantern (Arisia…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"I don't even know that it's Kevlar per se; I just said that that the way some people say…"
7 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"All-Winners #21 got its numbering from Young Allies. (It was you who set me straight on…"
7 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Determined to grab some of the lucrative "Archie" sales, DC launched its own version in…"
9 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"Kevlar is bullet-resistant, but it's not impregnable."
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service