OK, so having read #0, I see several plot threads:

1)Jennifer is in court, defending the Jester.  I wonder what the legal complications would be of a lawyer acting as an amateur law enforcer.

2)Rhodey is keeping the peace in Latveria. I don't know why they don't just hand control of Latveria over to Victor in perpetuity. He always ends up in charge there eventually, anyhow.

3)Later, the President offers Rhodey SecDef, as a stepping stone to the Presidency, since if a super-hero is going to be President someday, he doesn't want it to be Tony.  Surely Stark has so many skeletons in the closet that if he ran for anything, they'd need to summon the Ghost of Ray Harryhausen to animate them when they all came dancing out?

4)At Ohio State University, a girl and a boy who had just worked up the nerve to ask her out are Terrigen-cocooned.  Do they really just let the Terrigen float around, mutating whom it will?  Surely, one of the MU's many science geniuses could knock up a giant fan to blow it away from populated areas?

5)Leonard Samson visits Carol Danvers, to make sure she hasn't gone nuts.  She is concerned about the menace that they will not be able to stop.

6)Maria Hill informs Jennifer that the Jester - who was convicted- has been killed in prison. Jennifer is outraged, but Maria is all like "He would have recidivated anyway, they always do."  Was Maria always an @$$hole, or did she become one at some point?

7)Back at OSU the kids hatch out of their cocoons. (They just leave these cocoons lying around? they don't collect them and take them somewhere, or at least cordon them off?)  The boy looks normal-ish, but the girl looks demonic and flies away, yowling.  There is some kind of an episode - it's unclear what - and the boy (and the reader) is left wondering what the Hell happened.  He is alone in a devastated city - presumably Columbus, since that's where OSU is in the "real" world.

I'll tell you my main concern - years ago, I was just starting to really get into the Avengers book, and the first Civil War came along and blew it all up, souring me on Marvel for years. I sure hope that's not about to happen all over again.

Views: 3084

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I thought it was kind of crappy that they only put David Marquez's name on the cover for the art when Andrea Sorrentino did a full third of the pages.

As for the actual story, well, this is kind of getting long in the tooth. Like Baron said, they are really stretching things out. Bendis claimed on a podcast that he had a better idea that could only work in eight issues, but that certainly doesn't seem to be true at all.

I also read Invincible Iron Man #18 and Totally Awesome Hulk #10, both CW2 issues. Hulk was a lot better than Iron Man. Once again, from the Iron Man issue, it's clear that Bendis loves the sound of his own voice. Not a bad story, but the dialog takes me right out of the story.

They could do something really crazy and have some heroes fight some villains.

Captain Comics said:

Only one more to go!  I'm guessing some heroes are going to fight some other heroes, but I could be wrong!

Hasn't he said that about another series?  That the idea was good but the length was wrong?

Does marvel have any credible villains left?  

Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man said:

I thought it was kind of crappy that they only put David Marquez's name on the cover for the art when Andrea Sorrentino did a full third of the pages.

As for the actual story, well, this is kind of getting long in the tooth. Like Baron said, they are really stretching things out. Bendis claimed on a podcast that he had a better idea that could only work in eight issues, but that certainly doesn't seem to be true at all.

I also read Invincible Iron Man #18 and Totally Awesome Hulk #10, both CW2 issues. Hulk was a lot better than Iron Man. Once again, from the Iron Man issue, it's clear that Bendis loves the sound of his own voice. Not a bad story, but the dialog takes me right out of the story.

Time to discuss issue #8, if I don't do it now, I never will. This time out, spoiler space is brought to you by John Agar, who could've taught William Shatner a thing or two about looking self-satisfied.

OK, let's see. Carol and Tony continue to fight. Ulysses tells the Inhumans that the fight has to stop.Carol finally beats Tony. Ulysses shows the assembled heroes various possible futures, including:

• One in which various Kirby and Kirby-inspired monsters fight each other.
  • One in which various mutants (and a Sentinel?) assault a citadel. (New Attilan?)
  • The one where Miles appears to have killed Steve
  • Killraven and pals fighting Martians
  • What I think is the "Days of Future Past" future
  • One with Ultron victorious
  • One with Thor fighting Loki

Then Eternity shows up and tells Ulysses he's one of them now, and takes him away with him. Henry McCoy tells Carol that Tony isn't really dead and isn't really alive.  Clint shows up to remind the reader of "Occupy Avengers", Then Carol reports to the President, essentially to advertise all of the books spinning out of this story.  He praises her (What?)   and offers to reward her. She has some ideas.

"Well that was really horrible."  "You're always complaining."  - Monty Python's Flying Circus, Episode 29:  "The Money Programme"

There was a germ of a good idea in this, but it never paid off.  If you ever hear of me following one of these Marvel "events" again, you have my permission to call me an extremely silly indeed.

I'd like one without so much rat in it, please.

Captain Comics said:

I'd like one without so much rat in it, please.

(One comics event without so much rat in it later) "Appalling." "Moan moan moan."

Mom, there's a dead bishop on the landing ...

Don't make me turn this Civil War car around, Mister(s)!

So they made Carol a fascist for nothing?  After all that Tony get's to be Jimminy Cricket to the new Iron Heart?  All that fighting was completely pointless?  I wonder if Inhumans versus X-men will end up like this?

More than likely.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

I wonder if Inhumans versus X-men will end up like this?

This was a huge non-ending. I just thought it was really poor. Bendis didn't commit to anything here. Nothing was resolved. I want to know what he added to this story that he thought made it stronger (resulting in an eighth issue). I mean, nothing happened.

I haven't read it, but maybe Bendis had an ending in mind and management vetoed it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion List of Super-Speedsters
"Added Blitzen of the New Reichsmen."
50 minutes ago
Luke Blanchard replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion DC's 1st Issue Specials
"In the period Simon also did Champion Sports, with Grandenetti, for three issues;…"
3 hours ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Almost didn't make it today but here we are, courtesy of the Grand Comics Database."
7 hours ago
"Added Whiz Kid, Zig-Zag and Monenta,"
8 hours ago
"Added: Dawn Allen Don Allen The Flash (Race Morrison) Hermod Kid Comet Kwicky Koala Mercury…"
8 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to The Baron's discussion List of Super-Speedsters
"The Goodman, Lieber, Kurtzberg & Holliway law firm from She-Hulk employs/had employed…"
8 hours ago
"Will add Yo-Yo Will add Kid Comet Maybe I'm splitting hairs , but with Blaze allen, I feel as…"
9 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Captain Comics's discussion Comics Guide: Nov. 28-Dec. 4, 2022
"Even though there is a fair amount of content, my scrolling reminds me that this is a "fifth…"
9 hours ago
"I'll add 'em both."
10 hours ago
"Good ones!"
10 hours ago
"Never seen any Spongebob, but OK."
10 hours ago
"Will add."