Civil War II (SPOILERS)

OK, so having read #0, I see several plot threads:

1)Jennifer is in court, defending the Jester.  I wonder what the legal complications would be of a lawyer acting as an amateur law enforcer.

2)Rhodey is keeping the peace in Latveria. I don't know why they don't just hand control of Latveria over to Victor in perpetuity. He always ends up in charge there eventually, anyhow.

3)Later, the President offers Rhodey SecDef, as a stepping stone to the Presidency, since if a super-hero is going to be President someday, he doesn't want it to be Tony.  Surely Stark has so many skeletons in the closet that if he ran for anything, they'd need to summon the Ghost of Ray Harryhausen to animate them when they all came dancing out?

4)At Ohio State University, a girl and a boy who had just worked up the nerve to ask her out are Terrigen-cocooned.  Do they really just let the Terrigen float around, mutating whom it will?  Surely, one of the MU's many science geniuses could knock up a giant fan to blow it away from populated areas?

5)Leonard Samson visits Carol Danvers, to make sure she hasn't gone nuts.  She is concerned about the menace that they will not be able to stop.

6)Maria Hill informs Jennifer that the Jester - who was convicted- has been killed in prison. Jennifer is outraged, but Maria is all like "He would have recidivated anyway, they always do."  Was Maria always an @$$hole, or did she become one at some point?

7)Back at OSU the kids hatch out of their cocoons. (They just leave these cocoons lying around? they don't collect them and take them somewhere, or at least cordon them off?)  The boy looks normal-ish, but the girl looks demonic and flies away, yowling.  There is some kind of an episode - it's unclear what - and the boy (and the reader) is left wondering what the Hell happened.  He is alone in a devastated city - presumably Columbus, since that's where OSU is in the "real" world.

I'll tell you my main concern - years ago, I was just starting to really get into the Avengers book, and the first Civil War came along and blew it all up, souring me on Marvel for years. I sure hope that's not about to happen all over again.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As usual, your review is more entertaining than the comic itself.

• Another thing I meant to note: In all the promo art I've seen for this storyline, the two sides appear to be led by Captain Marvel and Iron Man, so it's interesting that Iron Man doesn't appear in this issue at all. It leaves me curious as to how he's going to fit into the whole thing.

• Isn't Doc Samson dead?

• Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Isn't Doc Samson dead?

They addressed that. He got better.

• I, too, am vastly amused by the Baron's review. Now I don't have to read Civil War #0!

• "There is some kind of an episode - it's unclear what - and the boy (and the reader) is left wondering what the Hell happened.  He is alone in a devastated city - presumably Columbus, since that's where OSU is in the "real" world."

I'm guessing this will be the setup for the split among the heroes. The boy (Ulysses) is seeing the future. So his ability to predict crimes will spur a "Minority Report" type conflict in which some heroes, led by Captain Marvel, will want to go after criminals before they've done anything and some heroes like She Hulk (and probably Iron Man) will be against this. So maybe Iron Man gets the moral high ground for once.

• Detective 445 said:

"There is some kind of an episode - it's unclear what - and the boy (and the reader) is left wondering what the Hell happened.  He is alone in a devastated city - presumably Columbus, since that's where OSU is in the "real" world."

I'm guessing this will be the setup for the split among the heroes. The boy (Ulysses) is seeing the future. So his ability to predict crimes will spur a "Minority Report" type conflict in which some heroes, led by Captain Marvel, will want to go after criminals before they've done anything and some heroes like She Hulk (and probably Iron Man) will be against this. So maybe Iron Man gets the moral high ground for once.

That's a very interesting idea.

•   Why does anyone in the mu fear to die?  It's such a temporary condition.

The Baron said:

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

Isn't Doc Samson dead?

They addressed that. He got better.

•   if that is it then it really violates the principle of innocent until proven guilty.  As a lawyer Jen really needs that principle or she's out of a job.

Detective 445 said:

"There is some kind of an episode - it's unclear what - and the boy (and the reader) is left wondering what the Hell happened.  He is alone in a devastated city - presumably Columbus, since that's where OSU is in the "real" world."

• OK, next up is Issue #1, because I read my comics as soon as I possibly can after I buy them.

To allow for Spoiler Space, here's  Edgar Kennedy, the Master of the Slow Burn...

1936763379?profile=original

OK, we start with Ulysses, the new mutant Inhuman from last issue, being recruited by the Inhumans. Is that Hank McCoy with the Inhumans?  Why does he look like Ibac painted blue?   We cut to the All-New, All-Different Avengers, who are the worse for wear after encountering a Cosmic Whatever in New York. They are merely biding time until a large group of other heroes show up. they engage the CW, while a bunch of sorcerers banish it back to wherever it came from. Hellstrom is whiny. I never liked him. 

They all have a big party afterwards at Stark Tower, and it comes out that the Inhumans were the ones who warned everyone.   (There's an amusing scene in the background with several heroines betting on an arm-wrestling contest between She-Hulk and Thor. I love little gags like that.) The Inhumans introduce the important heroes to Ulysses.  (Apparently, the city that was destroyed last issue was just him having a vision.)  Tony has them bring in Jean Grey to read his mind, but his mind cannot be read.  Carol's all for recruiting him to the Ultimates, but Tony is dubious about the morality of possibly locking people up before they do anything. Steve says, "Hail Hydra-a-angea! Um, I mean, what lovely flowers!  Yeah, that's it, that's the ticket! Mooorgan Fairchild!"  (OK, I made that last bit up.)

Three weeks later, Ulysses has another vision, and then we cut to Stark's HQ, where MJ tells Stark that Rhodey is dead,  Stark races to Ultimates HQ, where he finds Carol at the bedside of a badly-beaten Jennifer. It turns out that all this happened during a fight with Thanos, which I think was in the FCBD book which I don't have handy.  Tony blames Carol for Rhodey's death, then storms off, vowing to make sure none of them plays God again. (Stark, really?  Damn, it really is a new universe!)  Jennifer awakens long enough to tell Carol to fight for their future, then flatlines.

Overall: It's not bad - the art is real nice, and the story is interesting, if not an especially original premise.  Bendis does seem to still have his tendency to write the characters just the eensiest bit off, or maybe that's just me?  I'm certainly not going to buy every tie-in to this, but I will follow the main story.

This reply was deleted.