The last time I got a wild hair to read X-Men I left off with #110 knowing that #111 is a good jumping on point. #111 begins in medias res, but I’m reading in conjunction with the supplemental material from Classic X-men, so let’s start with #17 of that series.

Views: 940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Soon after we married, my wife and I visited Britain to see my cousins. It was summertime and they weren't all at home, so we had time in between visits and took a train to Edinburgh. When we got there we asked where the castle was. We were under it! It's on top of an extinct volcano.

"Did they draw Edinburgh Castle like the real one?"

Yes, it was quite photo-realistic. The X-Men attacked from the "steep" side, which was visually dynamic but not tactically sound.

X-MEN #129 / CXM #35:

X-MEN #129: with Proteus defeated, the B plot becomes the A plot and the Hellfire Club moves to the fore. The X-Men return to America to find that Professor Xavier has returned from space. Cerebro detects two mutants: one in Chicago, one in New York City. Xavier sends Cyclops and Phoenix to find the one in New York while he accompanies Wolverine, Storm and Colossus to Chicago. But the Hellfire Club has tapped into Xavier’s computers and plan to beat them to both locations.

The mutant in Chigago is a 13 year old girl named Kitty Pryde. Her parents are in the process of getting a divorce and shipping her off to boarding school. By the time the X-Men arrive, Kitty and her parents have already met with Ms. Frost, headmistress of an exclusive academy in Massachusetts. While Xavier discusses his school with her parents, Kitty takes the others to the local ice cream shop where they are attacked, defeated and captured by the Hellfire Club’s soldiers. Kitty instinctively “phases” through the wall to safety, then secret follows behind and discovers that Ms. Frost of also the Hellfire Club’s White Queen.

CXM #35: An expanded scene from #129 which delves into Kitty’s psyche.

Was there ever an explanation for why Proteus couldn't take over Mastermind?

I think the hook of the original cover is supposed to be this fight is taking place in an ordinary store, but for me the colouring downplays the setting.

The new cover's hook is the introduction of the White Queen, Kitty and the Hellfire Club. The designer could assume we'd recognise them. That's a good hook, but I don't know the design gets full value out of it. The colouring does make Kitty stand out.

It could have been made clearer, IMO, but when Jean confronts Mastermind a few issues later she asks how he could manage some of his feats despite never having been a true mind controller previously.

He says something very vague about a device built by Emma Frost, that Jean immediately procceeds to destroy.

It is not much of an explanation. Telepaths in the Marvel Universe don't usually have the ability to build such devices, and Emma never showed that ability again (although one could perhaps argue with the mind switch with Ororo in #153 or so).

From Proteus' own thought balloons it appears that he believes that he could have fought in, were he better rested or less hurt.

But those are just hints.  I don't think there is a true, complete explanation.

Captain Comics said:

Was there ever an explanation for why Proteus couldn't take over Mastermind?

“Was there ever an explanation for why Proteus couldn't take over Mastermind?”

I think the implication is because he is so powerful.

…the colouring downplays the setting.”

Agreed. Only upon close inspection does one realize that the scene is set inside a soda shop rather than on a helicarrier or something.

Thanks everyone!

It’s been 12 days since I have updated this discussion with a new issue, so I’ll add two issues today. (I don’t have much to say about either one of them.)

X-MEN #130 / CXM #36:

X-MEN #130: Cyclops, Phoenix and Nightcrawler track the other mutant to a seedy disco in lower Manhattan. The mutant is Dazzler, a singer with light powers. This issue also marks the first appearance of Sebastian Shaw. Colossus, Wolverine, Storm and Xavier, captured by the White Queen in Chigago, escape with the help of Kitty Pryde.

CXM #36: With Sean Cassidy’s help, Moira MacTaggert comes to terms with the death of Proteus. This is the last issue to feature a back cover pin-up.
X-MEN #131 / CXM #37:

X-MEN #131: Phoenix, Cyclops, Nightcrawler and Dazzler come to Kitty’s rescue. Kitty joins the team but Dazzler does not (at least not yet), but it’s fun to see them all fighting together just this once. At the end, Phoenix uses her mental powers to influence Kitty’s parent decision to send her to Xavier’s school.

CXM #37: Dazzler, post-#131, pre-solo series.

HULK ANNUAL #7:

Hulk Annual #7 has been collected several times… sometimes as part of a Hulk collection, sometimes as part of a Champions collection, sometimes as part of a John Byrne collection, but never part of an X-Men collection, despite it featuring two former X-Men and being a direct sequel to X-Men #100. I guess it’s the word “former” which disqualifies it for inclusion with the X-Men. But I like to slot it here, despite the fact it was released some two years prior to X-Men #132. If one were following the Angel, Hulk Annual #7 and X-Men #132 would be back-to-back because the latter opens at the Angel’s “aerie” in New Mexico.

X-MEN #132 / CXM #38:

X-MEN #132: The X-Men arrive at the angel’s aerie. This is Cyclops’ decision, against the wishes of Professor Xaxier, because Cyclops no longer feels safe at the mansion. The X-Men learn that Warren and his girlfriend Candy are both members of the Hellfire Club (although not the “inner circle”). On a secluded butte, Phoenix telekinetically holds Cyclops’ optic blast in check.

A week later, having secured invitations under fakes names through Warren Worthington, Phoenix, Cyclops, Colossus and Storm attend a bash at the Hellfire Club in New York City, just four blocks from Avengers Mansion. Wolverine and Nightcrawler enter through the sewer. As soon as the X-men confront the Inner Circle face-to-face, all pretense is dropped. Jason Wyngarde, now revealed as Mastermind, suborns Phoenix into the the Black Queen and the X-Men are quickly defeated. The issue ends with the iconic shot of Wolverine in the sewer.

CXM #38: Another Dazzler story set between #131 and Dazzler #1.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service