I thought this game might work. The player holding the chair selects a character. The challenge for the other players is to guess who the character is. They get twenty questions.

All questions have to have to be framed so as to allow the answer "Yes" or "No". The chair can give extra information if he or she chooses, and frame an appropriate response if neither answer fits.

Players may only ask a fifth consecutive question if four hours have passed since their last one. (Since the guess, not the answer.) The first player to guess the answer takes the chair.

Only characters that have made at least two appearances are eligible. So Franklin Storm is, but not Tomazooma. Only characters that first appeared in US comic books are eligible. So not Captain Britain, Dick Tracy, Tarzan, Thor.

(revisions made to rules)

Views: 2058

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Did this character first appear in The Fantastic Four?

11.Did this character first appear in The Fantastic Four?

No.

Did the character appear in Marvel Team-Up?

12.Did the character appear in Marvel Team-Up?

No.

Did the character first appear in Avengers, or one of the solo features of the charter members?

I think you answered this one twice.

Luke Blanchard said:

13.Did the character appear in Marvel Team-Up?

No.

Thanks, Randy. I'll remove that post.

13.Did the character first appear in Avengers, or one of the solo features of the charter members?

No.

Was this an X-Men villain?

14.Was this an X-Men villain?

No. Neither originally, nor by adoption.

I'm not sure if this counts as a question, but as a point of clarification, are you including Captain America as a charter member?

Luke Blanchard said:

Thanks, Randy. I'll remove that post.

13.Did the character first appear in Avengers, or one of the solo features of the charter members?

No.

Did the character first appear in a Spider-Man comic?

15.Did the character first appear in a Spider-Man comic?

No.

Randy Jackson said:

I'm not sure if this counts as a question, but as a point of clarification, are you including Captain America as a charter member?

I have Webster's definition of "charter" before me. It includes "a written instrument or contract (such as a deed) executed in due form" and "a grant or guarantee of rights, franchises, or privileges from the sovereign power of a state or country". The Avengers have a charter from the government, as it was revoked by the president in The Avengers #327.

The Avengers Charter in Avengers Annual #11 opens with a declaration written by the Avengers themselves, but also has articles referring to the empowerment of the Avengers by the US government and the UN. I was led to the Avengers Annual #11 charter by this page's observation that Captain America is not one of the signatories, but the charter is signed by the founding members.

At the start of The Avengers #2 the Avengers were still getting to know one another. If the organisation had not been chartered by then, it probably wasn't before the events of The Avengers #4. So it's possible the Avengers weren't chartered before Captain America joined. In that case, I think it fair to regard him as a charter member.

I submit it is likely the "solemn oath" was written at the Avengers' formation; but the organisation was chartered after the events of Fantastic Four #25-#26, in response to the Avengers' role in stopping the Hulk's attack on New York. The earlier oath was incorporated into the charter, and the remaining founding members signed the document. Presumably the Hulk's signature was added belatedly during a period when he had Banner's brain, most likely during the events of The Incredible Hulk #123.

Contrary to what I previously wrote, the reference to SHIELD doesn't indicate the document post-dates The Avengers #2 as it's unclear when SHIELD was formed. In Strange Tales #135 Fury is brought in to head the already existing organisation.

(much modified)

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2018   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service