Comic day quiz!

Give The Best Of The Following:

1. One-Shot
2. Mini-Series of Less Than Eight Issues
3. Mini-Series of Eight Issues or More
4. Ongoing Series that Ran Less Than 100 Issues (But More Than 30)
5. Ongoing Series that Ran More Than 100 Issues

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• 1. One-Shot Many, many contenders here ... but as I have the image of the cover in plain sight, I'll go with a sentimental favorite, Superman vs. Muhammad Ali.
    2. Mini-Series of Less Than Eight Issues Many, many contenders here ... hmm ... I'll say the first Punisher mini series by Steven Grant and Mike Zeck.
    3. Mini-Series of Eight Issues or More There ain't no such thing.
    4. Ongoing Series that Ran Less Than 100 Issues (But More Than 30) Walt Simonson's run on The Mighty Thor.
    5. Ongoing Series that Ran More Than 100 Issues Was Peter David's Incredible Hulk 100 issues?
  • ClarkKent_DC said:
    3. Mini-Series of Eight Issues or More There ain't no such thing

Not that it was any darn good, but DC Challenge springs to mind. Or, you know, Crisis.
  • Doctor Hmmm? said:
    ClarkKent_DC said:
    3. Mini-Series of Eight Issues or More There ain't no such thing

Not that it was any darn good, but DC Challenge springs to mind. Or, you know, Crisis.

Or Watchmen. When does something get declared a "Maxiseries?" Seems to be at 12 issues or more, but that's just my impression.
  • A good point, that hadn't occurred to me. Since CK is a pretty sharp customer, I bet that's what he was getting at.
  • Thank you, Doctor Hmmm?, for the kind words.

And now that we've quibbled over the terminology, how about some other responses to the quiz? I gave mine ...
  • I don't care for the term "maxiseries." It should mean it's run longer than a regular series, so the term is meaningless. I say, if it's less than 24 issues, and it's intended for that length, it's a miniseries.
  • 1. One-Shot
    Astro City 1/2, "The Nearness of You".
    2. Mini-Series of Less Than Eight Issues
    Rick Veitch's "The One".
    3. Mini-Series of Eight Issues or More
    Is Watchmen too obvious? What the hell, let's say it is - then Warren Ellis' Global Frequency.
    4. Ongoing Series that Ran Less Than 100 Issues (But More Than 30)
    Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon's Preacher. If it's not considered "ongoing" because it was planned as as a finite story, I'll go with Walt Simonson's Thor.
    5. Ongoing Series that Ran More Than 100 Issues
    Dave Sim's Cerebus.
  • PowerBook Pete said:
    I don't care for the term "maxiseries." It should mean it's run longer than a regular series, so the term is meaningless. I say, if it's less than 24 issues, and it's intended for that length, it's a miniseries.

I know I'm the one who brought up the term "maxiseries," but I agree with you. I think of it as more of a marketing term than anything else.
  • One-Shot - Fun Home by Alison Bechdel
    http://www.amazon.com/Fun-Home-Tragicomic-Alison-Bechdel/dp/0618871...

Mini-Series less than eight issues - Pluto by Naoki Urasawa
    http://www.amazon.com/Naoki-Urasawa/e/B0034PJEZK/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pe...

Mini-Series more than eight issues - 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa

Ongoing - less than 100 issues - Alias by Brian Michael Bendis

http://www.amazon.com/Alias-Vol-Brian-Michael-Bendis/dp/0785111417/...

Ongoing - more than 100 issues - Amazing Spider-Man by Lee, Ditko, Romita, Conway, Andru, Kane
  • 1. One-Shot Hell Eternal by Jamie Delano & Sean Phillips (Vertigo)
    2. Mini-Series of Less Than Eight Issues Death: The High Cost of Living by Gaiman & Bachalo (Vertigo)
    3. Mini-Series of Eight Issues or More Watchmen, or if we're retiring it for lifetime achievement, 2020 Visions by Jamie Delano & everybody (Vertigo originally)
    4. Ongoing Series that Ran Less Than 100 Issues (But More Than 30) The Sandman by Gaiman & everybody
    5. Ongoing Series that Ran More Than 100 Issues Hellblazer
This reply was deleted.