From "What If: the Invisible Girl Died?" - What If? vol. 1 #42 (1983) I read this as a 13 year old kid and it was the first time, I think, a comic hit me in the emotional guts. Reed, Ben, and Sue don't make it back in time from the Negative Zone to save Sue and she dies giving birth to Franklin... The end of this issue is a killer...

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• From "The Search for Donna Troy," the page where Dick hands Donna her old doll and she starts blubbering.
  • Photobucket

"You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• krypto.jpg

• From Batman #687
  • The finale of Avengers #277, the conclusion to the storyline where the Master of Evil lay siege to the Avengers Mansion, pummel Hercules half to death, and mangle poor Jarvis something awful. After the battle, Captain America is surveying the wreckage with the Wasp, and finds his old footlocker. He tells her that he didn't think it would hurt -- after all, during the battle, he was all business, saving lives. But now ... there's a baseball he got from Joe DiMaggio that's now just a mass of strands, and other stuff.

But the main thing is a picture of his mother -- the only picture he has of his mother -- torn in half. His mother was one of those people who didn't like having her picture taken. And now she's gone.

That one gets me every time. Just thinking about it gets me, every time.
  • I know its an important moment in current Batman lore, and not a bad bit of writing, but that 'same frame just photocopied a few times' technique annoys me somewhat.

Humans don't keep every facial muscle identically placed over several seconds like that - its prob supposed to be a good 10 seconds there or so. That's an age in keeping your face motionless.

Especially when you are divulging the information that your son has died!

I know he's English of the old school, but come on!

Comics are a completely motionless medium (as you might have noticed) and something like this completely draws your attention to the fact, and to the artificiality of what you're reading.

If he'd been drawn in the same pose 3 times then that would have allowed for a more natural effect. Even if old Alfred was keeping that upper lip as stiff as he could, bless 'im.

Instead I'm pulled out of the story thinking the artist just jumped at the chance to cut down his time at the desk and go get a bud from the fridge. Yay!

It's something that annoys me when I see it, but it's not used so much these days, since the novelty of using computer-enhanced art has worn off.

And is that Superman page from Whatever happened to...
  • Figserello said:
    I know its an important moment in current Batman lore, and not a bad bit of writing, but that 'same frame just photocopied a few times' technique annoys me somewhat.

Humans don't keep every facial muscle identically placed over several seconds like that - its prob supposed to be a good 10 seconds there or so. That's an age in keeping your face motionless.

Especially when you are divulging the information that your son has died!

I know he's English of the old school, but come on!

Comics are a completely motionless medium (as you might have noticed) and something like this completely draws your attention to the fact, and to the artificiality of what you're reading.

If he'd been drawn in the same pose 3 times then that would have allowed for a more natural effect. Even if old Alfred was keeping that upper lip as stiff as he could, bless 'im.

Instead I'm pulled out of the story thinking the artist just jumped at the chance to cut down his time at the desk and go get a bud from the fridge. Yay!

It's something that annoys me when I see it, but it's not used so much these days, since the novelty of using computer-enhanced art has worn off.

And is that Superman page from Whatever happened to...

Yes...it's the final image of part one...
  • I always liked that FF uniform the most.

"You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it." -Groucho Marx

Check out the Secret Headquarters (my store) website! It's a pretty lame website, but I did it myself, so tough noogies

Listen to WOXY.com, it's the future of rock-n-roll!

• Aunt May's death, even with the cheesy use of the Peter Pan quote, worked beautifully. The part where she revealed that she knew about Peter's double life all along was amazing. It was very touching, very genuine. The pitch-perfect ending for her character.

Then, she popped back to life like a magic jack-in-the-box! That happened with my grandmother too; we were just about to dump her in the ground when BOING! All better! Then we all had cake.

Comic books make me so mad sometimes.
This reply was deleted.