Comic Thoughts for the week of 4/12/2017

kI don't know if Cap plans to continue recapping the week's offerings, but I figure I can at least do the Marvel #1's. So here we go:

Black Panther and the Crew #1 - In order to set up this new group of super heroes, we go back in time to show that there's  been a "Crew" in Harlem in the past. In the present day, the leader of that group dies in police custody in suspicious circumstances, and Misty Knight--aided by Storm--decides to investigate before Harlem boils over with a race riot. Story by Ta-Nehesi Coates, art by Butch Guice.

So this is not "The Crew" that Christopher Priest wrote, but a group composed of Luke Cage, Storm, Misty Knight, Manifold and of course the Black Panther. If one of these characters really doesn't seem to fit, I'd say you're correct. It appears that they just picked five Black characters at random and decided to team them up.

The story very much echoes what's going on in Captain America: Sam Wilson, and it's reasonably executed. There is a new writer coming on next issue, so we'll see what happens.

Weapon X #1 - Old Man Logan is attacked, Lady Deathstrike has already been captured, and the villains of this issue are targeting Sabretooth as well, but Logan finds him first. Story by Greg Pak, art by Greg Land.

So, this particular group of mutants is composed of Old Man Logan, Domino, Sabretooth, Lady Deathstrike and Warpath--in other words, the murder mutants. Not my style, but anyway, it's not that bad, I suppose, if you like this sort of thing. It could use a little more humor, but otherwise it's professionally executed. Just not my thing.

X-Men Blue #1 - The team takes on Black Tom Cassidy and the Juggernaut, and there's a backup where Wolverine takes on the Wendigo. Story by Cullen Bunn, art by Jorge Molina.

This team is the young, time-displaced original X-men. They're being led by Magneto. Well, why not? Magneto is a face this week, right? Oh, and apparently Hank can do magic now.

That being said, this was fun. There's some great banter between the team, and it's good old-fashioned superheroics--the team doesn't raise a single fist against one another at all. I think I'll be back for more.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Of those, I bought X-Men Blue #1 but I haven’t read it yet. Also from Marvel, I bought Captain America (Sam Wilson) #21 and Silver Surfer #10. So far, the only comic I’ve read so far this week is Crime Destroyer from Fantagraphics.

ALL-TIME COMICS:

Fantagraphics has launched a new imprint called “All-Time Comics,” which features four titles in a shared universe: Crime Destroyer, Bullwhip, Atlas and Blind Justice. Crime Destroyer and Bullwhip shipped yesterday. These series remind me of Big Bang Comics when it first started: somewhat gaudy retro color comics printed on newsprint. Bullwhip looked a little too “Wonder Woman/S&M” to me, but I couldn’t pass up Crime Destroyer because it was drawn by Herb Trimpe.

I really, really liked the art, but the plot (both plot and script) was almost unreadable. Crime Destroyer’s costume, with its two head-sized fists mounted on his shoulder pads, was, in a word, ridiculous. I think Atlas, when it ships, will be more to my liking, but I will buy any future issues of Crime Destroyer as long as they feature Trimpe art.

• X-MEN BLUE #1: Not my X-Men. I don't dispute what Randy said, but that's what makes horse races (as someone round these parts once said). Given Prime, Gold and Blue, two outta three ain't bad.

• Is this the one that's getting ...

SPOILER

...an Ultimate version of Wolverine's son? 

If so - is his 'debut' series worth a pick-up?

Jeff of Earth-J said:

X-MEN BLUE #1: Not my X-Men. I don't dispute what Randy said, but that's what makes horse races (as someone round these parts once said). Given Prime, Gold and Blue, two outta three ain't bad.

• I thought they got rid of the Ultimate universe?

• They have, but Marvel has a 'multiverse' now. So I suppose it's possible there's an alternate universe version of Daken (I think that's the name) we haven't met yet.

Richard Willis said:

I thought they got rid of the Ultimate universe?

• Richard Willis said:

I thought they got rid of the X-Men. Are they back now? Did I misunderstand?

• Maybe the feud with Fox is being resolved?

Luke Blanchard said:

I thought they got rid of the X-Men.

• 1936843433?profile=originalHmmm.....

No

This is another alternative son of Wolvie - Jimmy something - from a series/X-men group where Liz Allen has powers or something.....

I can't find the article I read this in ..... April Fools Day was a while ago wasn;'t it..?

Randy Jackson said:

They have, but Marvel has a 'multiverse' now. So I suppose it's possible there's an alternate universe version of Daken (I think that's the name) we haven't met yet.

Richard Willis said:

• Richard Willis said:

Maybe the feud with Fox is being resolved?

Luke Blanchard said:

I thought they got rid of the X-Men.

There have been reports of infighting at Marvel between the movie side and the publishing side that resulted in some restructuring of the pecking order. It's been speculated that this may have resulted in tensions cooling between Marvel and Fox and a shift in publishing philosophy regarding the X-Men characters.

• Now if only they could fix the Fantastic Four problem...

Detective 445 said:

It's been speculated that this may have resulted in tensions cooling between Marvel and Fox and a shift in publishing philosophy regarding the X-Men characters.

This reply was deleted.