Generation X #1 - A new student arrives at the school and meets his wacky classmates. Story by Christina Strain, art by Amilcar Pinna.

Let's get this out of the way--I despise this art. I find it both ugly and amateurish. On the other hand, many of the characters are ones I like. However, at this point, the art is too much of a turn off.

Luke Cage #1 - Luke hears about the suicide of Dr. Noah Burstein, then discovers things are not what they seem. Story by David F. Walker, art by Nelson Blake II.

The story is reasonably interesting, although sadly lacking the humor of Power Man and Iron Fist. The art--well, I've seen art like this before, and it's not quite professional grade yet. It will be eventually if Blake stays with it, but at the moment it's a step below.

Views: 105

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I picked up Sovereigns #1 this week. Dynamite takes another run at the Gold Key/Valiant characters. And once again I'm underwhelmed.  I love me some Magnus, Solar and Turok but at this point I'd like to see another publisher take a crack at them. This latest series takes place in the future and has some fairly interesting ideas but the quality of the writing is not quite where I would like it to be.

Conversely, I'm really enjoying The Worldstorm, despite not really caring too much about the Wildstorm stable of characters.  Issue #4 continues to deliver the type of Warren Ellis story I enjoy. I'd put it in the same category as Planetary and Injection.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

It did.

It's a little moment, but so well done. And I don't think I can really do it justice in text. But the next time you go into your comic shop, flip a couple of pages in and start with the page of Alfred sweeping leaves and dirt from the floor of Wayne Manor, and then get to the page turn. It's charming.

The story itself is a done in one, so it might be worth picking it up. I loved it -- it bores really deeply into the psyches of both characters.

Just read that issue. Really nicely done. Definitely a cut above the usual cape stuff.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service