Comic Thoughts for the week of 5/24/2017

Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider #2 - Ben continues to get himself set up in Las Vegas, while Kaine tries to catch up to him. Story by Peter David, art by Mark Bagley.

I know this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but as I have no particular attachment to any of these characters, I'm just enjoying the characters. It's interesting to see that Ben is still having issues with his sanity but also still a decent guy all the same. Still, one wonders what his endgame might be.

I Am Groot #1 - Groot, stuck at sapling size for an unknown reason, gets separated from the Guardians in another part of space-time. Story by Christopher Hastings, art by Flaviano.

Once again, I'm not the biggest Guardians fan. This has a cuteness factor, but it's really not my cup of tea.

Secret Warriors #2 - The team heads west in an attempt to find the X-Men, and run afoul of the Howling Commados. Story by Matthew Rosenberg,, art by Javier Garron.

Despite myself, I'm enjoying this. I have no interest of love for Secret Emprire, but I'll be danged if this isn't fun. The team has a nice chemistry, and this is just working.

Totally Awesome Hulk #19 - Hulk is attacked by a couple of cyborgs that want his blood,and ends up teaming with Sabretooth, Domino and Old Man Logan. Story by Greg Pak, art by Robert Gill.

This probably shouldn't work, but it does. I find the villains attacking them to be interesting in a ruthless, psychopathic sort of manner.

X-Men Blue #4 - The team tracks down James Hudson (not Guardian) and are waylaid by the new Marauders. Story by Cullen Bunn, art by Julian Lopez.

Hmm. I was a tad underwhelmed by this issue. The team dynamic is still good, but the plot just isn't that interesting.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Apparently Marvel doesn't realize the drawbacks in having a book's protagonist only being able to say "I am Groot!"

• GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: MOTHER ENTROPY #4: If Groot is not your cup of tea, you should try this weekly limited series by Jim Starlin & Paul. In this particular issue, they even do a riff on Groot’s one phrase vocabulary.

STAR-LORD ANNUAL #1: I didn’t buy this issue, but I’m interested in hearing about it from anyone who did. I’ve been reading a lot of [old] Star-Lord lately, but I’m also being particular about what new comics I buy. This issue does feature a “surprise guest” and I did flip through and read the end, but I’m still left wondering what exactly is going on and whether the overall story is worth my time (and money).

SCARLET SPIDER #2: Bought it but haven’t read it yet.

• I think with the right creative team it can be made to work. They've made characters who are non-sentient work in the past (Man-Thing). I don't think it's impossible, but it depends on the approach.

Philip Portelli said:

Apparently Marvel doesn't realize the drawbacks in having a book's protagonist only being able to say "I am Groot!"

• Philip Portelli said:

Apparently Marvel doesn't realize the drawbacks in having a book's protagonist only being able to say "I am Groot!"

I am Bob.

• Starlin is on my Grant Morrison list of overrated creators I'm afraid. His name drives me away.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY: MOTHER ENTROPY #4: If Groot is not your cup of tea, you should try this weekly limited series by Jim Starlin & Paul. In this particular issue, they even do a riff on Groot’s one phrase vocabulary.

• Groot, whether he's a baby or not, works best in a group setting. And there are classic Man-Thing stories but they have him being reactive as opposed to proactive which is what Groot should be.

I'm trade-waiting the Mother Entropy series because it features Pip the Troll who was basically replaced in the MCU by Rocket.

• For Starlin, my biggest interest is in Dreadstar. Nothing else of his grabbed me like that.

• I enjoy Groot in the movies, because the other characters interpret for him. They somehow understand him.

• Up until his separation from the team, that was the way it was going in this issue.

It wasn't bad, just not my cup of tea. If I had to guess, it won't last long as an ongoing, but we'll see.

Richard Willis said:

I enjoy Groot in the movies, because the other characters interpret for him. They somehow understand him.

• I kind of link Dr Who's Terry Nation and comics Jim Starlin  as similar writers - Nation wrote the same Darlek story for TV several times over with just a few tweaks and Starlin has written the same story for comics with just a few tweaks for decades.

I liked his original MAR-VELL run and even the original WARLOCK but everything else has been a dud.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

For Starlin, my biggest interest is in Dreadstar. Nothing else of his grabbed me like that.

This reply was deleted.