All-New Guardians of the Galaxy #1 - The Guardians pull a heist for the Grandmaster, who forces them to plan a second one. Story by Gerry Duggan, art by Aaron Kuder.

Hmm. These weren't characters I was that interested in prior to the movie, and in all honesty I'm not that interested in them now. The style is kind of glib to me, lots of bantering and one-liners, and that sort of took the edge off of things. I just couldn't get interested in this.

Black Bolt #1 - Black Bolt is tricked into being imprisoned where he planned to imprison Maximus. Story by Saladin Ahmed, art by Christian Ward,

I'm likely not the best person to review this as I'm not a big Inhumans fan, but I'll do my best. It's professionally executed, although sadly the art suffers from over-coloring, particularly in the fight scenes (can anyone draw a proper fight scene anymore?). I was also a little disappointed at one of the developments by the end of the issue, as one of the things I was looking forward to seeing was how the creators would deal with some of the limitations of the character.

Jean Grey #1 - Jean runs into the Wrecking Crew in Japan, but fails to capture them because the Phoenix interrupts her. Story by Dennis Hopeless, Art by Victor Ibanez.

So, this is the time-displaced Jean, not the one who's already died and come back to life umpteen times. The story is professionally executed (although I do get tired of once mighty villains being treated like the Brooklyn Brawler, but hey, Marvel has plenty of super heroes it can turn into villains, right?), but it seemed to be lacking something. It's a reasonable hook, but I don't see myself continuing to read this title.

Views: 157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Captain Comics said:

My apologies. Do you think DC's Steve Lombard was named for him?

Nah, the DC character came first.

For what it's worth, I find the newer Inhumans to be significantly more interesting than the royal family, but that's not saying much.

It looks like the Inhumans push is slowly decreasing, as the Terrigen cloud has been destroyed, the Inhumans have been declared a democracy, and the royal family is planning on leaving the planet. I'm not sure about the current state of affairs between Johnny and Medusa.

Over the last few years, the ambiguity of the Inhumans has been well examined, and the idea that they aren't necessarily good guys has come to the fore. There's no longer any Alpha Primitives. So technically, Black Bolt isn't necessarily a good guy or a bad guy--in fact, one could say that about many of Marvel's "heroes" these days, as the current regime seems hell bent on turning many of their flagship characters into super villains. There's not much moral compass right now, other than when the villains are baddies, they're much worse than the "heroes" sort of like The Authority. My .02--I know everyone doesn't agree with me.

Captain Comics said:

Is there any plausible reason for Medusa to be dating Johnny Storm? Isn't she, like, 10 years older than he is? She was an adult when she first appeared, and he was a teenager. Also, she's a queen and he's an idiot. I can't swallow that one, unless he's just a sex toy for her.

Add to that: he used to date her younger sister.

Philip Portelli said:

The Inhumans worked best as supporting characters. They had no real personalities beyond Gorgon Angry, Karnak Wise and Black Bolt Noble.

I agree. They only work in small doses.

Somehow no one ever thought "Gee, wouldn't it be cool to be an Inhuman and live in a repressive and restricted monarchy with a mute king who NEVER explains his motivations because, for some reason, he can't just WRITE something down?"

That would make too much sense and he wouldn't be "mysterious."

Richard Willis said:

Captain Comics said:

Is there any plausible reason for Medusa to be dating Johnny Storm? Isn't she, like, 10 years older than he is? She was an adult when she first appeared, and he was a teenager. Also, she's a queen and he's an idiot. I can't swallow that one, unless he's just a sex toy for her.

Add to that: he used to date her younger sister.

From John Sebastian:

Sometimes you really dig a girl the moment you kiss her,
And then you get distracted by her older sister.

You have to pick up on one and leave the other behind. It's not often easy, and not often kind.

The Johnny/Medusa pairing smacks to me of "well, we have to do something with the members o the Fantastic Four", much like Ben being a member of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

...when in walks Agon and takes you aside, and says, "You better go home, son, and make up your mind."

Now I've got that somng stuck in my head.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2017   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service