Comic Thoughts for the week of 6/21/2017

Daredevil #22 - Daredevil testifies in court. Story by Charles Soule, art by Goran Sudzuka.

Once again, this is the sort of thing I was hoping for when Charles Soule took over writing this title, and this delivers. Well done.

Doctor Strange #22 - Doctor Strange teams with the Kingpin. Story by Dennis Hopeless, art by Niko Henrichon.

It's a Secret Empire tie-in. Yawn. Anyway, it's actually not terrible. I still think Ben Urich seems way off model here.

Peter Parker the Spectacular Spider-Man #1 - Spider-Man meets the Tinkerer's brother and gets a date. Story by Chip Zdarsky, art by Adam Kubert.

Not bad. There's definitely an emphasis on light-heartedness with this title so far, and it was nice to see more of the friendship between Johnny Storm and Spider-Man.

Silver Surfer #12 - Dawn mourns her father's death. Story by Dan Slott, art by Mike Allred.

It's a shame this title will be ending soon. This story works really well, and it all makes sense.

The Mighty Thor #20 - We get a new Thor while Jane seems too ill to pick up Mjolnir. Story by Jason Aaron, art by Russell Dauterman and Valerio Schiti.

This is a pretty dark story, and if you like that sort of thing, you'll like this. It's not what I want for my superhero comics, however.

US Avengers #7 - Various team members deal with the Hydra takeover. Story by Al Ewing, art by Paco Medina.

I so wish this title weren't mired down by Secret Empire, as this was fun otherwise.

Weapons of Mutant Destruction #1 - Several mutants with healing factos--plus Amadeus Cho--attempt to hunt down whoever has been targeting them. Story by Greg Pak, art by Mahmud Asrar.

This apparently is kicking off a mini-series about this partiuclar story line, and I'm just not terribly excited.

X-Men Gold #6 - The X-Men and all of New York's heroes fight the nano-swarm of Sentinel AI. Story by Mark Guggenheim, art by R.B. Silva.

Well, it's always nice to see all the heroes come together for such a huge threat, and it's the sort of thing I wish we saw more of rather than the heroes fighting one another. That being said, this really wasn't terribly compelling as the outcome was pretty much telegraphed from the start.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –