Comics Guide for Dec. 16, 2015

DARK HORSE

DARK HORSE PRESENTS #17

Writers: PAUL LEVITZ, ALEX DE CAMPI, SHAWN ALDRIDGE

Writer/Artist: DENNIS CALERO, BRENDAN MCCARTHY, CARLA SPEED MCNEIL, DAVID CHELSEA

Art/Cover: TIM HAMILTON

Art: JERRY ORDWAY,  JULIUS GOPEZ

FC, 56 pages, $4.99, Ongoing

PAUL LEVITZ COMES TO DARK HORSE!

Paul Levitz and Tim Hamilton premiere Brooklyn Blood! In a precinct not known for murder, a killer is on the loose. If Detective Billy O’Connor’s PTSD doesn’t get in the way, he may be able to help his partner Nadira Hasan solve this eerie case.

This issue also features new chapters of Carla Speed McNeil’s Finder, Shawn Aldridge and Julius Gopez’s Last Act, Dennis Calero’s The Suit, and David Chelsea’s Sandy and Mandy. Alex de Campi and Jerry Ordway’s Semiautomagic and Brendan McCarthy’s Dream Gang conclude!

Eisner, Harvey, and Stumptown Award winner!

I don't remember Levitz much as a writer -- I think his influence was mostly felt by his leadership as publisher of DC Comics. But he did write Legion of Super-Heroes for a long time when it was one of my favorite books, especially during the famous "Great Darkness Saga." (Which had its flaws, but was one of the first to take advantage of the huge tapestry available to Legion writers, and therefore memorable.)

He also formalized and put into words a writing method I intuitively recognized but couldn't articulate, the A-B-C wave style, where you always have three plots in motion in any book. This month A will be the main story, B will be a building subplot, and C will be an introduced subplot. The next month, everybody moves up: B is the main story, C is the building subplot, and A is the introduced subplot. Next month, they all move up a rank again. And so forth. Yes, it's a formula, but it makes a virtue of the necessities of serialized monthly writing.

DRAGON AGE: MAGEKILLER #1 (OF 5)

Writer: GREG RUCKA

Pencils: CARMEN CARNERO

Inks: TERRY PALLOT

Color: MICHAEL ATIYEH

Cover: SACHIN TENG

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

Greg Rucka writes Dragon Age!

Greg Rucka begins an all-new story set in the immersive dark-fantasy world of Dragon Age!

Tessa and Marius are mercenary partners, eliminating those who use blood magic to hurt others, but when a powerful patron employs them, they realize this next job may be their last . . .

• The beginning of a new adventure set in the world of Thedas!

• An essential addition to the Dragon Age canon!

• Perfect entry point into this epic dark-fantasy world!

I'm not usually a fan of books derived from video games. They have all the flaws of books derived from movies -- the characters can't progress, the status quo can't change -- without the depth and characterization those works generally have available. But Greg Rucka is more hit than miss with me, so maybe he can change my mind.

THE HERO BOOK 2 (HC)

Writer/Art/Cover: DAVID RUBIN

FC, 288 pages, $24.99, HC, 6'' x 9''

The Hero Book 2 continues David Rubín’s epic tale of Heracles in a postmodern look at the Twelve Labors and the champion’s fateful doom. The story delves deep into his life, revealing those who would wish him harm on his meteoric rise to stardom, his tumultuous love affairs, and his incredibly heroic feats. Rubín’s eclectic style will change the way you look at one of the most important Greek myths.

• A stunningly original take on the life of Heracles!

• From newcomer David Rubín (The Rise of Aurora West).

“Through gloriously rambunctious colors, Rubín pays tribute to the masters of the Silver Age of comics, from Jack Kirby to Gil Kane, and all the sense of fun, imagination, and action those artists were revered for.”—Publishers Weekly

“Welcome David Rubín to the table. He is a big talent and the real deal. The Hero is a strong statement of intent.”—Paul Pope (creator of Battling Boy)

“This book is awesome.”—Gabriel Bá (Daytripper, The Umbrella Academy)

I like what I see of the story in the preview. Can't say the same for the art, which seems to be from the "primitive" school. Or, as I like to call it, the "I don't really have to work very hard at this because they'll buy anything" school.

DC COMICS

BATGIRL #46

Written by BRENDEN FLETCHER and CAMERON STEWART

Art by BABS TARR

Cover DAVID LAFUENTE

On sale NOVEMBER 25 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

In her civilian life, Barbara Gordon may be sitting on tech research that could be a gold mine…and in her life as Batgirl, she’s cracked the code that might enable her to take down massive police corruption in Burnside! It’s time for Batgirl to level up—but she’s going to need allies on both fronts. Enter the Spoiler!

This should quiet those noisy Stephanie Brown fans.

BATMAN ‘66 #30

Written by LEE ALLRED

Art and cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

On sale DECEMBER 16 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E • DIGITAL FIRST • FINAL ISSUE

BATMAN ‘66 comes to a close as we unleash cover artist Michael Allred on the entire issue! Mobs of villains arrive in Gotham City for what appears to be a full-blown Criminal Convention. But one bad guy is not happy with how he’s being treated, and decides to tip off Batman and Robin. Will even this valuable bit of information be enough to help the Dynamic Duo overcome the overwhelming odds?

I do like me some Allredd, and that cover is a hoot.

BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #11

Story by JAMES TYNION IV and SCOTT SNYDER

Script by ED BRISSON

Art by FERNANDO BLANCO

Cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Red Robin and Red Hood have followed a trail of technology to the island nation of Santa Prisca and the mysterious monastery built on the site of what was once the worst prison in the world…but that prison was once the kingdom of Bane, and he wants his kingdom back! Meanwhile, Dick Grayson and Harper Row meet the mysterious Sculptor, a woman who reshapes minds! And with every clue they assemble, a terrible picture of Bruce Wayne’s darkest hour is emerging…

Another great cover, this one an homage to the Peter Max style that we cranky oldsters grew up with. Makes me all nostalgic, like.

BATMAN: THE DOOM THAT CAME TO GOTHAM (TPB)

Written by MIKE MIGNOLA and RICHARD PACE

Art by TROY NIXEY and DENNIS JANKE

Cover by MIKE MIGNOLA

On sale DECEMBER 16 • 160 pg, FC, $16.99 US

In this tale of horror co-written by Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, Bruce Wayne unintentionally unleashes a dark evil on his city. Includes appearances by The Penguin, The Demon, Man-Bat, Ra’s al Ghul and more! Collects BATMAN: THE DOOM THAT CAME TO GOTHAM #1-3.

For my money, Mignola could have drawn Batman forever and ever and ever. But he wasn't content with that, and went on to create Hellboy. You have to admire that. Anyway, here's a Mignola Batman, which is a damn good Batman.

DC COMICS PRESENTS: DARKSEID WAR 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #1

Written by JACK KIRBY

Art by JACK KIRBY, VINCE COLLETTA and MIKE ROYER

Cover by RYAN SOOK

On sale DECEMBER 16 • 96 pg, FC, $7.99 US

Darkseid has been making trouble for a long time now—and here are some of his earliest epics, from the pages of MISTER MIRACLE #1, NEW GODS #1 and 7, and THE FOREVER PEOPLE #1!

Most people here will have read these issues, but I can't help but promote 100-page super-spectaculars. They were pretty spectacular in my youth, and I hope they are to the youth of today.

LUCIFER #1

Written by HOLLY BLACK

Art by LEE GARBETT

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

On sale DECEMBER 16 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

The anti-hero who made his debut in THE SANDMAN and starred in his own hit series is back in a new series by best-selling writer Holly Black (The Spiderwick Chronicles) and artist Lee Garbett (Loki)!

As this series begins, God is dead—and Gabriel has accused Lucifer of His murder. Lucifer had motive and opportunity, but claims he can prove his innocence. If Gabriel finds the killer and takes the culprit into custody, his sins will be forgotten, and he’ll be welcomed back to Silver City. So, despite the fact that Lucifer just opened a nightclub on Earth and is hiding a mysterious wound, the two brothers set off to solve their Father’s murder. Their investigation will span Heaven, Hell, Earth and beyond in this antagonistic buddy-cop noir with an angelic flair.

I hate to admit it, but the original Lucifer is a book that I stopped reading due to boredom -- and at the time I was getting free review copies. That's pretty bored.  It's becoming a TV show -- which is why they're reviving it, I imagine -- so what did I miss, Legionnaires?

STRANGE SPORTS STORIES (TPB)

Written by GILBERT HERNANDEZ, AMY CHU, LAUREN BEUKES, NICK DRAGOTTA, CM PUNK, GENEVIEVE VALENTINE, PAUL POPE, BRIAN BUCCELLATO and others

Art by GILBERT HERNANDEZ, NICK DRAGOTTA, DARICK ROBERTSON, PAUL POPE, MEGAN LEVENS and others

Cover by PAUL POPE

144 pg, FC, $14.99 US • MATURE READERS

Comics’ top talents, including some making their Vertigo debut, take on the classic DC Comics anthology title for strange, scary and sensational sports stories from the four-issue miniseries!

The problem with strange sports stories for me has always been that I don't give a hoot for regular sports. I presume that's not a problem for the rest of the known universe. So sue me.

SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN #2

Written by MAX LANDIS

Art by TOMMY LEE EDWARDS

Cover by RYAN SOOK

1:25 Variant cover by TOMMY LEE EDWARDS

On sale DECEMBER 16 • 32 pg, FC, 2 of 7, $3.99 US • RATED T+

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

After Smallville experiences its first violent crime in years, teenager Clark Kent is pressured by his best friend Pete Ross to take matters into his own hands in the second issue of SUPERMAN: AMERICAN ALIEN!

Renowned artist Tommy Lee Edwards (MAD MAX: FURY ROAD) illustrates this unflinching look at the boy behind the Man of Steel.

This cover looks like an homage to the cover of Catwoman #51 by Adam Hughes (top right). It's not exact, but the color scheme, content and positioning are similar enough that I'm ruling it an homage. That's just my opinion, though. What do you think, Legionnaires?

IDW PUBLISHING

A HERO'S DEATH (TPB)

Writer: RICARDO SANCHEZ

Art/Cover: MARK TEXEIRA

TPB • FC • $17.99 • 104 pages

From industry legend Mark Texeira (Ghost Rider, Punisher, Moon Knight) and writer Ricardo Sanchez (Resident Evil, Legends of the Dark Knight, Teen Titans GO!)  comes a story about our collective need for hope, optimism, and heroes. The Hero died 20 years ago but her death still haunts one young reporter. Now, on the anniversary of her death, the reporter digs in to find the truth about what really happened. This special edition from IDW collects the fully painted graphic novel by Texeira and Sanchez, "Kill your Heroes," an illustrated short story based on the character, art gallery, and the original short story the graphic novel was based on.

The Kickstarter success comes to comic shops and bookstores!

Sounds interesting, and I've always liked Texeira's work. Let's hope it's not too much like the death of Retro Girl in Powers or the current Plutona.

JUDGE DREDD #1

Writers: ULISES FARINAS, ERICK FREITAS

Art: DAN MCDAID

Cover: ULISES FARINAS

Archie 75th Anniversary Variant: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Blank Sketch Variant available

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

“Mega-City Zero,” part 1! Ushering in a brave new era, Judge Dredd awakens to find that Mega-City One has been sent back to the Stone Age, with city blocks overgrown and nary a citizen to be found. Witness as Dredd struggles to unravel the mystery as he copes with being just an ordinary Joe...

• Part of Archie cover month, celebrating 75 years of Archie!

• Dredd boldly goes where no Judge has gone before!

•  New ongoing series by rising stars Ulises Fariñas, Erick Freitas and Dan McDaid!

• Ask your retailer about the wraparound variant cover by Paul Hanley!

You know which character would be Dredd's arch-enemy? Jughead. There's a free spirit who is not going to treat authoritarians with the respect they want!

KNIGHT RIDER: KNIGHT STRIKES

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writers: ADAM WARREN, CHUCK DIXON, FRANK HANNA, JOE PRUETT, B. CLAY MOORE

Art: JASON JOHNSON, J.B. BASTOS

Cover: GARRY BROWN

TPB • FC • $17.99 • 132 pages

The beloved primetime series returns to comics! When secret agent Michael Knight activated the confidential Project: Rider in the heat of battle, the world's coolest talking car was born. KITT has an arsenal of secret weapons and amazing upgrades under the hood, and he and Michael employ them all to save the country from terrorists, clandestine spy networks, and super criminals. From the minds of today's hottest action writers, KNIGHT STRIKES is the next chapter in the legendary KNIGHT RIDER mythos.

Michael Knight and KITT–everyone’s ultimate dream car–are back in action in this explosive series of spy-fi adventures!

I was never a Knight Rider fan -- I didn't even watch the TV show -- but if you are, here's something you'll probably like.

PINOCCHIO, VAMPIRE SLAYER AND THE VAMPIRE ZOO

Writer: VAN JENSEN

Art/Cover: DUSTY HIGGINS

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Venture back into the world of the acclaimed Pinocchio, Vampire Slayer in this brand-new adventure from creators Dusty Higgins (Knights of the Living Dead, Miles Taylor and the Golden Cape) and Van Jensen (The Flash, Green Lantern Corps). Pinocchio and his band of slayers are battling the undead across Italy when they come across a zoo and decide to take a break from the hunt. But the animals of this zoo have been infected by the vampiric curse. Now, the gang has to fight its way through hyenas, bats and one damn mean vampire gorilla to survive!

STAR TREK: THE JOHN BYRNE COLLECTION

Writer/Art/Cover: JOHN BYRNE

TPB • FC • $34.99 • 488 pages

Comics legend John Byrne brings new form to the Star Trek universe in this collection of tales from the final frontier. Includes Alien Spotlight: Romulans, Assignment: Earth, Romulans: Balance of Terror, Romulans: The Hollow Crown, Crew, Romulans: Schism, and Leonard McCoy, Frontier Doctor.

“A fantastic volume that every John Byrne and Star Trek fan should have and enjoy.” –PopMythology.com

This doesn't say "New Visions" on the cover or in the solicitations, but I'm assuming this collects releases from Byrne's photo-montage/Fumetti Trek series. As I always do, I credit Jeff of Earth-J for turning me on to this series, which I dismissed as a novelty -- but once I tried it, I liked it. It's the closest thing to original Star Trek we'll ever see.

STAR TREK: STARFLEET ACADEMY #1 (of 5)

Writers: MIKE JOHNSON, RYAN PARROTT

Art/Cover: DEREK CHARM

Subscription Variant: JEN BARTEL

Variant: ELSA CHARRETIER

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

IDW is adding a new dynamic to Star Trek lore with the debut of a new miniseries, Star Trek: Starfleet Academy. The comic follows Kirk, Spock, Uhura and some surprise faces while they are still cadets-in-training at Starfleet Academy, set in the period just prior to the opening of the 2009 mega-hit film. At the same time, you’ll meet the all-new “current day” class of Starfleet cadets, full of compelling young characters from all over the galaxy. The past and the present collide when a mystery bridges the two timelines. This vibrant series, designed to be an entry point for diverse groups of readers, is written by Mike Johnson and Ryan Parrot, with art by fan-favorite creator Derek Charm.

“IDW is proud to have been partnered with Star Trek for nearly a fifth of its lifespan so far,” said IDW Editor-In-Chief Chris Ryall. “As these new comic book projects, and many others coming soon, will show, we’ve got plenty of exciting new ways to bring Star Trek stories to the fans.”

“The fan enthusiasm surrounding Starfleet Academy, much like Harry Potter’s Hogwarts, or X-Men’s Xavier’s School for Gifted Youngsters, shows that the educational lives of our most beloved heroes makes for fantastic stories,” said IDW editor Sarah Gaydos. “I am so excited to flesh out a new chapter in the lives of the Enterprise crew, while introducing you to a great new team of recruits -- ready to boldly go!”

Marvel tried an Academy book, too, but they made the mistake of starring a bunch of mediocre characters probably whipped up in a two-hour plotting session. IDW appears to understand that if we're reading a book with Star Trek in the title, it damn well better star the people we came to see!

WEIRD LOVE VOL. 2 (HC)

Writers: VARIOUS

Art: BOB POWELL, BILL WARD, OGDEN WHITNEY, Various

Cover: IGER SHOP

HC • FC • $29.99 • 168 pages • 7.5” x 9.75”

“Love on the Racks: A History of American Romance Comics,” provides a fascinating introduction to “Weird Love: That’s The Way I Like It!”, the second sleazy and stupefying volume in the series that “Wired” magazine calls “deranged genius!”

You’ll love, you’ll hate these lurid stories: “Too Fat to Frug,” “Men You Shouldn’t Marry,” “Leader of the Pack,” “Love Slaves,” “Stay Away From Married Men,” “Trailer Park Girl: Flirtation on Wheels,” “Mail-Order Marriage,” “Thrill Crazy!,” and much more cringe-worthy, laugh-riot comic book kitsch!

USA TODAY opines about Weird Love, “The comic book industry's most obscure and outrageous stories of the fifties!”

You know you want it, baby.

IMAGE COMICS

EMPTY ZONE, VOL. 1: CONVERSATIONS WITH THE DEAD (TPB)

Story / Art / Cover: JASON SHAWN ALEXANDER

136 PAGES / FC / M / $9.99

SPECIAL INTRODUCTORY PRICE OF $9.99!

Eisner nominated artist JASON SHAWN ALEXANDER (Abe Sapien: The Drowning, Queen and Country) brings us a future eighty years after a worldwide black-out. The world is a much darker and scarier place. Corinne White is an ex-soldier turned black market spy, data courier, manic-depressive, alcoholic. Punishing herself for mistakes from her past, Corinne is brought out from her spiral when she's contacted by her dead friends, who inform her of a plot to reanimate the bodies of the dead by a psychotic billionaire. EMPTY ZONE follows Corinne as she confronts these undead monsters and comes to terms with her past.

"...  this is truly above and beyond anything I've seen before.” -- Mike Mignola (HELLBOY)

"What a gorgeous book." -- Brian K. Vaughan (SAGA)

Collects EMPTY ZONE #1-5.

OK, that cover is freaky enough that it makes me want to read this series. Anyone reading this already, and if so, do you recommend it?

LCSD 2015 BITCH PLANET (HC)

Writer: KELLY SUE DECONNICK

Art: VALENTINE DE & Various

Cover: VALENTINE DE

Eisner Award-nominated writer KELLY SUE DeCONNICK (PRETTY DEADLY, Captain Marvel) and VALENTINE DE LANDRO (X-Factor) present the premiere volume of BITCH PLANET, their critically acclaimed and deliciously vicious sci-fi satire. Think Margaret Atwood meets Inglourious Basterds. Discussion guide included.

Collects BITCH PLANET #1-5.

Despite all the hullabaloo, or maybe because of it, I find that I've been disappointed in most everything I've read by Kelly Sue DeConnick. I don't mean I've hated Captain Marvel or Pretty Deadly, but ... well, when you're promised the second coming of Will Eisner, but what you get is just kinda meh, you feel let down. So I've been reluctant to try Bitch Planet.

Anyway, here's a Local Comic Shop Day release, a little late for LCSD, with a price apparently set by the comics shop. So there's probably never been a better time to try Bitch Planet, if you're inclined to do so.

SEX #26

STORY: JOE CASEY

ART: PIOTR KOWLASKI

COVER: PIOTR KOWLASKI & SONIA HARRIS

NOVEMBER 25 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

The end of one world. The beginning of another.

Homage, or not homage? You be the judge!

TOKYO GHOST #4

Story: RICK REMENDER

Art: SEAN MURPHY

Cover A: SEAN MURPHY & MATT HOLLINGSWORTH

Cover B: SEAN MURPHY & DAVE McCAIG

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

Life in paradise is cut short for Led and Debbie, as a snake from their past seeks vengeance on the Constable.

I complain sometimes about "sketchy" art styles, but that's because it's usually employed to cover up a lack of command of drawing fundamentals. (See: Todd McFarlane.) Not so with Sean Murphy, above. He uses sketchy lines, usually in parallel, but not always, and their absence to define shapes and suggest lighting. That is just plain awesome. And he gets better and better all the time.

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1.1

Writer: JOSE MOLINA

Art/Cover: SIMONE BIANCHI

Variant A by ROBBI RODRIGUEZ

Variant B by TBA

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

The dead are walking in Harlem and Spider-Man’s going to do something about it. But when the trail leads straight to THE SANTERIANS, Spidey’s finds out he bit off more than he can chew. Television’s AGENT CARTER writer JOSE MOLINA and superstar artist SIMONE BIANCHI bring the heroes hidden since DAREDEVIL: FATHER back into the spotlight!

Anyone know why this is being published outside the regular numbering? It's not as if Marvel has a shortage of first issues.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS (TPB)

Written by DAN SLOTT, MICHEL FIFFE, FELIPE SMITH, MARGUERITE BENNETT, JEREMY WHITLEY, KATIE COOK & MORE

Penciled by ADAM KUBERT, MICHEL FIFFE, FELIPE SMITH, KRIS ANKA, GURIHIRU, KATIE COOK & MORE

Cover by ADAM KUBERT

136 PGS / Rated T / $17 .99

On Battleworld, the Amazing Spider-Man is a family man! Peter Parker, his wife, Mary Jane, and their daughter must scrape by to make ends meet — but at least they have each other! And Peter will protect his family at all costs — even if it means suiting up once again and taking on the godlike Regent! But Peter isn’t the only one willing to risk all for the family — and his daughter isn’t about to sit back and let dad have all the fun, either! The Parkers take on Regent in the most controversial Spider-Man story of the year! Plus: true tales of romance on Battleworld! Robbie Reyes and Kamala Khan! A Typhoid Mary, Karen Page and Matt Murdock love triangle! And more! When worlds collide, can their love survive? Collecting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: RENEW YOUR VOWS #1-5 and SECRET WARS: SECRET LOVE #1.

Here's what y'all had to say:

WANDERING SENSEI

Issue #1: "This was pretty good. Of course, from the cover, you can tell it's about the version of Spider-Man who is married with a little girl. This is by Dan Slott and Adam Kubert. One drawback for me is that Kubert's little girl appears to change ages from panel to panel, anywhere from infant to roughly four years old. I don't know who Regent is, and he's not very interesting. He has control over the whole town of Manhattan, though, which is a part of Battleworld (?). I came into reading Spider-Man with Brand New Day, and this really didn't do much to make me want to go back to how things were before that."

Issue #2: I hadn't planned on buying this one, but it was in my box because I've had them pull all of Amazing Spider-Man for awhile now. This wasn't bad, though. This town is run by a giant robot-thing named Regent who employs the villains in town to do his bidding and hunt down anyone with powers. Peter and Mary Jane are scared, with good reason, that their daughter will display her powers at school. This issue guest-stars Power Pack, all of whom go to school with Annie Parker. While this read nice and easily, like any Dan Slott comic, I'm not a big fan of "hide from the evil tyrant" stories, because you know right where they're going. I would count this as one of the weaker Secret Wars tie-ins that I've read, to be honest, which is really weird, because I have loved 99% of everything else Dan Slott has ever touched."

Issue #4: "This continues Peter and Mary Jane's quest to keep their daughter's powers under wraps from Regent (who is as powerful as he is uninteresting). Some freedom fighters (Hawkeye, Dagger and Prowler) help relocate the family with the help of poor old Spot, and MJ finally lets loose and lets her daughter have some fun. This was another pretty good issue -- Slott's writing on this book isn't nearly as good as what he was doing on Amazing Spider-Man proper, but Slott is normally so fantastic that I'll just chart that up to this particular story and its constraints. I get the feeling that 'Art by Kubert and Hanna' means that Scott Hanna did some of the penciling as well as all of the inking; the art was pretty inconsistent and a lot of it didn't look anything like Adam Kubert."

Issue #5: "This ending was okay, but nothing more. I would expect more out of Slott, but gone is Slott's solo character and we're dealing now with angry, brooding, family man Spidey. Meh."

RICHARD WILLIS

"This title (all five) was my only purchase in Secret Wars and my only Spider-Man purchase since just before Spider Island. I liked it and would continue to follow this family unit if it continued."

Rob Staeger:

"I've been enjoying the Brand New Day/Superior/Etc era a lot, and don't need to go back to married Peter even a little bit. I didn't read the book that often then, and have no nostalgia for it."

JEFF OF EARTH-J

"I’ve been pulling for Marvel to bring back the Parkers’ marriage and baby for so long I would be a hypocrite if I didn’t buy this one. However, that’s not exactly what this is. For one thing, their baby is not May; she’s Annie. For another (as someone else already mentioned), the artist is not skilled at drawing the child at a consistent age. Overall, the first issue fell far short of my expectations."

DARTH VADER ANNUAL #1

Writer: KIERON GILLEN

Art/Cover: LEINIL YU

Blank Variant available

40 PGS / Rated T / $4.99

• The planet Shu-Torin has gone against the will of the Empire.

• It’s time for Vader to bring them in line.

• A great, evil jumping-on point for fans of the Dark Lord!

Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization.

Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2015 Lucasfilm Ltd.

Back in the long-before time, there was little to eat, and the fields were full of stones, and giants ate us and picked their teeth with our bones. Aye, those were hard days, and we were hard men. And hard women. And some of the children were a little flinty, too. But there were comics, and we were happy. Then came the dark times. And lo, all the comics were canceled, and many restarted several times, and convention was tossed to the wind. Where once a book had to be out at least a year before it got an annual, now they arrive willy-nilly, in a fashion such as to make a man's head swim. Aye, even a hard man such as myself. Sometimes I miss those damn giants.

DEADPOOL #3.1: TRES PUNTO UNO

Writers: GERRY DUGGAN & BRIAN POSEHN

Art: SCOTT KOBLISH

Cover by FRANCISCO HERRERA

32 PGS / Parental Advisory / $3.99

Meet “Masacre”—the Deadpool of Mexico! Did you know that Deadpool in Spanish-speaking countries is called “Masacre”? Here comes the issue to make all of that even more confusing, as we meet Masacre, the deadly Deadpool-inspired vigilante south of the border! Watch him slaughter his way into your hearts in this entirely Spanish language one-shot written, drawn and edited by folks who don’t speak it!

Tres buono! Or is that French? Well, at least this one has an excuse for the weird numbering.

INFERNO: WARZONES! (TPB)

Written by DENNIS HOPELESS

Penciled by JAVIER GARRON

Cover by JAVIER GARRON

112 PGS / Rated T+ / $16.99

Spinning out of SECRET WARS comes a new twist on the X-Men classic that’s a whole hell of a lot hotter than you remember. Five years ago, a band of demons rose up out of the fiery depths and turned Manhattan into Hell on Earth. The X-Men fought to vanquish the demon horde … and the X-Men failed. Now, on the anniversary of Manhattan’s fall, Colossus is leading a small band of mutants back into the Inferno. He doesn’t know what they’ll find in its flames, but he knows they’re not coming back without his sister. But Inferno’s demons quickly divide his skeleton-crew X-team, and the arrival of Mr. Sinister and the Goblin Queen means Colossus’ quest may have become a suicide mission! The gates burst open and Hell breaks loose as Illyana Rasputin’s soul hangs in the balance! Collecting INFERNO #1-5.

Detective 445 said:

"I ... dropped out of Armor Wars and Inferno after three issues each.  I didn't hate those books but neither was screaming at me to continue."

MARVEL’S CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR PRELUDE #1 (OF 4)

Writer: WILL CORONA PILGRIM

Art: SZYMON KUDRANSKI

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $2.99

THE ROAD TO CAPTAIN AMERICA: CIVIL WAR BEGINS WITH THESE OFFICIAL ADAPTATIONS OF THE SMASH HIT FILMS IRON MAN 3 & CAPTAIN AMERICA: WINTER SOLDIER!

When THE MANDARIN strikes at the United States with a series of deadly terror attacks, IRON MAN must take action! But can TONY STARK handle the pressure when he has his own demons to face?

I'm pretty sure I don't need an adaptation of a movie I saw two years ago.

THE MIGHTY THOR #2

Writer: JASON AARON

Art/Cover: RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

Variant Cover by ARTYOM TRAKHANOV

Cosplay Variant by KEVIN SPOONER

Design Varient by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

Marvel ‘92 variant by RON FRENZ

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

• The return of Loki!

• But for Thor, will he be friend or foe?

I somehow accrued some of the variant covers, so here ya go. And is Loki male or female these days? I've lost track.

M.O.D.O.K. ASSASSIN (TPB)

Written by CHRIS YOST

Penciled by AMILCAR PINNA

Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE

112 PGS / Parental Advisory / $16.99

In Killville — a Battleworld realm populated by fearsome thieves, murderers and ne’er-do-wells — there exists one who is a HEAD above the rest: M.O.D.O.K., the Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing! That’s right, the Merc with a Maw is open for business — but his next job may be biting off more than he can chew (which is a lot)! When a Thor crash-lands in Killville, M.O.D.O.K. sets out to do what he does best — but impossibly finds himself (giant) head over (tiny) heels in love! With the Thor he loves targeted by another ruthless Killville mercenary and a larger conspiracy becoming apparent, can M.O.D.O.K. keep ahead of his rivals, save the love of his life and uncover the truth? Will M.O.D.O.K. save the day? One thing’s for sure: He will live up to his design! Collecting M.O.D.O.K. ASSASSIN #1-5.

WANDERING SENSEI

Issue #1: "I thought it was pretty funny and entertaining. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the issues (already uploaded). I liked the art and the way it related to the rest of the Secret Wars world."

SQUADRON SUPREME #1

Written by JAMES ROBINSON

Art by LEONARD KIRK

Colors by FRANK MARTIN

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Variant Cover by LEONARD KIRK

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Hip-Hop Variant by MIKE DEL MUNDO

They’re each the sole survivor of a lost Earth. Now, they’ll do anything to protect this one, whether you like it or not! But is the Marvel Universe ready for this new team of titans? Today, Marvel is pleased to announce SQUADRON SUPREME #1 – a brand-new ongoing series from Eisner Award-winning writer James Robinson (Fantastic Four, Starman), critically acclaimed artist Leonard Kirk (Fantastic Four) and covers by legendary painter Alex Ross!

Hyperion (Avengers), Nighthawk (Supreme Power), Dr. Spectrum (The Great Society), Blur (DP7) and Warrior Woman (Squadron Sinister) don’t care what the rules are, and they’re not out to ask for permission. Each hailing from different universes, their Earths were all destroyed. But there is no time to grieve for the loss of their homes – because they’re out to make sure it never happens again! All that matters is the safety of our Earth, and if you stand in the way – they’re going right through you!

Their first target? Namor! Responsible for the destruction of Dr. Spectrum’s reality, it’s time Namor paid for his crimes. But at what cost to the people of Atlantis?

“They’re willing to do a lot of things that turn people off,” says writer James Robinson in an interview with Marvel.com. “They can seem a little cold blooded and ruthless but their idea is ‘we have a planet to save’. And if that means we have to sacrifice a few people to do it, we will. So they’re definitely at the darker end of the heroic spectrum.”

This Fall, the Marvel Universe has new protectors. You may not like their methods. You may not like that they cross the line. But the Squadron gets results. And if you try to get in their way, you’re going down! Don’t miss their epic debut this fall in SQUADRON SUPREME #1!

I can't wait for the big battle against the Crime Syndicate of Earth-3! Oh, wait, wrong universe.

STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION: INFINITIES (TPB)

Written by CHRIS WARNER, DAVE LAND, ADAM GALLARDO & J.W. RINZLER

Penciled by DREW JOHNSON, AL RIO, DAVIDE FABBRI, RYAN BENJAMIN, MIKE MAYHEW, SCOTT KOLINS & MORE

Cover by NICK RUNGE

504 PGS / Rated T / $39.99

The stories you know — reimagined! Play “What if?” with the original trilogy in a series of tales exploring the endless possibilities of Star Wars. How would A New Hope have gone if Luke Skywalker missed the target in his attack on the Death Star? What would have become of the Rebel Alliance if Luke perished in the icy wastelands of Hoth during The Empire Strikes Back? What if Return of the Jedi’s rescue of Han Solo had gone badly wrong? And in the ultimate alternate take on the galaxy far, far away, follow Annikin Starkiller into The Star Wars in an epic based on the original draft of George Lucas’ screenplay! Collecting STAR WARS INFINITIES: A NEW HOPE #1-4, STAR WARS INFINITIES: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK #1-4, STAR WARS INFINITIES: RETURN OF THE JEDI #1-4 and THE STAR WARS #0-8.

Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2015 Lucasfilm Ltd.

I'm not reading any of Marvel's Star Wars stuff, but if I were, I'd read this.

STARBRAND & NIGHTMASK #1

Written by GREG WEISMAN

Art by DOMO STANTON

Cover by YASMINE PUTRI

Variant cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

Hip-Hop Variant by KERON GRANT

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

They are beings of unspeakable power. Former Avengers and cosmic entities that have defended Earth from the far reaches of the cosmos. This December, they return from outer space to embark on the adventure of a lifetime – going to college! Today, Marvel is pleased to announce STARBRAND & NIGHTMASK #1 – a brand new ongoing series from critically acclaimed writer Greg Weisman (Star Wars: Kanan) and rising star artist Domo Stanton (Deadpool)!

“Nightmask is the Herald (and conscience) for Earth’s Starbrand (i.e. it’s Planetary Defense Mechanism),” says series writer Greg Weisman in an interview with Marvel.com. “He’s been tutoring Starbrand in his powers, and they really are best friends. In fact, each is practically the other’s ONLY friend.”

Imbued with cosmic powers, they’ve battled alongside some of the universe’s greatest champions. And repelled invasions from destructive alien forces. But nothing will prepare them for the likes of class registration, choosing a major and midterms. What meal plan will cover a cosmic metabolism? Can two all-powerful entities share a dorm room the size of a roach motel? Can you safely teleport to Mars after partying all night long at your first kegger?

“Kevin (Starbrand) is actually very reluctant to go back to college. (His last stint didn’t end well, to say the least.) But Adam (Nightmask) insists that they both attend college, because Kevin needs to reconnect with humanity. After all, if he’s going to protect the planet, Kevin needs to care about its inhabitants.”

I can't wait for Robin and Jimmy Olsen to appear! Oh, wait, this isn't World's Finest? Dang it, wrong universe again!

ULTIMATE END #5 (of 5)

Writer: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art/Cover: MARK BAGLEY

ULTIMATE NO MORE!

• 2000 – 2015

It feels like this universe has been ending since the Reagan Administration. The last issue of this came out in August. END, ALREADY.

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #3

Writer: RYAN NORTH

Art/Cover: ERICA HENDERSON

Variant Cover by MATT WAITE

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

• Squirrel Girl has woken up, only to find she’s been hurled back in time to the 1960s! Mondays, am I right?

• And if that wasn’t trouble enough, her friend Nancy is coming face to face with the villainous [CENSORED]!

• Yes, I’ve noticed that when I type [CENSORED]’s name it shows up as [CENSORED]; no, I don’t know how to fix that.

• This book features the following: Squirrel Girl, time travel, [CENSORED], and emotions! It promises to satisfy fans of each of those things, even if they don’t like the other things!

• Which is great because emotions are just THE WORST.

If the comic book is as funny as the solicitation, that'll be a pretty funny comic book!

WEIRDWORLD #1

Written by SAM HUMPHRIES

Art & Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Variant Cover by MATT RHODES

Hip-Hop Variant by JUAN DOE

Classic Variant by PAT BRODERICK

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

The smash-hit Secret Wars series is back! And just when you thought the journey was coming to an end. This December, book a trip to the strangest place in the entire Marvel Universe in the all-new WEIRDWORLD #1 – coming at you from blockbuster writer Sam Humphries (Legendary Star-Lord) and fan-favorite Weirdworld artist Mike Del Mundo! Ripped from the pages of Secret Wars comes a most dangerous destination – chock full of swords, sorcery, rocket launchers and all manner of oddities firmly planted in the All-New Marvel Universe!

Meet Becca, an ordinary teenage girl trapped in an extraordinary world. Stranded in Weirdworld and separated from all she knows, her mission is clear – GET HOME ALIVE! Easier said than done. Crystal Warriors! Wizardslayers with muscle cars! Catbeasts that spit fire! The queen of sinister sorcery Morgan Le Fay! All this and more await Becca around every corner. Can she make it home in one piece? Or is she Weirdworld’s newest permanent resident?

“Weirdworld is a place where anything can happen,” says series writer Sam Humphries in an interview with Marvel.com. “Weirdworld is a place inside the Marvel Universe. Weirdworld is a place where the lost can be found. But only if you’re strong enough…”

Imagine a world of sword and sorcery, a land where lost things go. Now imagine being trapped there with zero sword or sorcery experience! Meet Becca, an ordinary girl in an extraordinary world with one mission in mind – GET HOME ALIVE! Easier said than done! But how did she come to be here? And how can she hope to escape in one piece?

“Weirdworld is a place that is ever changing, always chaotic, and a place of infinite discovery,” continued Humphries. “Its essential nature is so mysterious that no complete map can ever be created. It is a polyglot of fantasy, horror, sci-fi, and other weird things dug up from the brains of myself and [artist] Mike Del Mundo.”

Barbarians! Wizards! Goblins! Even tricked out sports cars! All await Becca around every turn in the depths of Weirdworld. Be there as Marvel’s own twisted fantasy realm comes alive before your eyes as Humphries & Del Mundo plunge headlong into WEIRDWORLD #1 – available in comic shops and on digital devices this December!

Here's a second series set in Weirdworld (the other being Black Knight). Marvel must think it's on to something here. Is it, Legionnaires?

WEIRDWORLD VOL. 0: WARZONES! (TPB)

Written by JASON AARON

Penciled by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

112 PGS./Rated T …$16.99

Welcome to the wildest, most dangerous corner of Battleworld: Weirdworld, a realm of swords and sorcery, and strange perverted science. A realm where one barbarian walks alone, on a dark and savage quest though all things weird and fantastic from throughout Marvel history. His name is Arkon, a lost man in a lost world. Follow him if you dare! For Arkon must battle underwater apes, contend with a Crystal Warrior and traverse the swamp of the Man-Things — as evil sorceress Morgan le Fay and her army of Lava Men and gun-toting ogres lay siege to Arkon’s home of Polemachus! Plus: Behold the coming of Skull the Slayer! What happens when a fugitive from the concrete jungle is thrust into a world of all things unimaginable? It’s simple, really. He goes utterly insane. Collecting WEIRDWORLD #1-5.

DETECTIVE 445

Issue #1-2: "This week's entries of Weirdworld ... won me over.  The inclusion of characters from Crystar The Crystal Warrior in Weirdworld gives me the "warm and fuzzies" and I really want to see what else Aaron is going to throw into the mix. 

Issue #3: "I'm glad I stuck with this one as it has now become one of my favorite Secret Wars books.  While many of the tie-ins just seem like random diversions, this one has something more to it. Jason Aaron has built something that has legs. I could easily see this title continuing on under its own steam after the event is over. We continue to see old characters and concepts rescued from the detritus of the Marvel U, dusted off, and given new life.  This time we get Skull the Slayer (I didn't know Marvel had the rights) and Man-Thing.  And the visuals from Michael Del Mundo are eye popping."

Issue #4: "Weirdworld was a really fun grab bag of old concepts and characters thrown together in an interesting way with some great visuals but didn't conclude in any kind of satisfying way. The final issue features more of a non-ending aimed at setting up the future ongoing series."

WANDERING SENSEI

Issue #1: "With art by Mike del Mundo, this book is of course incredibly pretty. The story was okay, but not necessarily easy to follow. I followed Elektra because of this artist's work, so I guess my mood will dictate whether or not I buy #2 when it comes out."

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OTHER PUBLISHERS

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN VOL 10

f66d6116-e2f6-477b-9846-66a8477a8868.jpg

1936740198?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

Writers/Art: BOB FORGIONE & Various

SLIPCASE EDITION: 300 copies in full colour slipcase, 288 pages, £44.99/$69.99

BOOKSHOP EDITION: 1,700 bookshop copies available. Unsigned Book only. 288 Pages, £36.99/$59.99

Weird, Mysterious and Spine-tingling stories featuring issues 51- 57 from January to July 1954 of the ACG classic Adventures Into The Unknown. This tenth  volume has been meticulously compiled from the original source material and painstakingly digitally restored.

Ah, they were truly the best of times. Forget the rest. Richard Hughes’s groundbreaking Adventures Into The Unknown, the world’s first anthology-title boldly stepped where no comicbook had gone before. And now, hot on the heels of their critically acclaimed and hugely popular Harvey Horrors series, those lovely folks at PS Artbooks are making them all available again . . . along with ACG’s other much-loved titles--and this time in state-of-the-art hardcover volumes containing five toseven issues apiece. This is going to be one hell of a journey: come make it with us as we travel together through some of the most memorable comic books of all time.

Is anyone collecting the Dark Horse version of these books? I think PS is rolling them out faster. Which is good -- I'd like to read them all before I die!

ARCHIE COLLECTOR’S EDITION

1936742093?profile=RESIZE_320x320

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: MARK WAID

Art: FIONA STAPLES, ANDRE SZYMANOWICZ, JACK MORELLI

Cover: FIONA STAPLES

80-page, full color comic, $9.99 U.S.

This direct market-only, 80-page special collects the first three issues of the landmark new Archie series.  Familiar faces return in new and unexpected ways with a new school year, new changes, new questions and new storylines for the teens of Riverdale. Take another look at all of the gorgeous artwork by the incomparable Fiona Staples in this must-have collector special! And if you haven’t experienced the historical, groundbreaking new Riverdale yet, now is your chance to get in on the ground floor! This collector’s edition contains special features you won’t want to miss out on!

Here's a quickie reprint if you want to catch up on the new Archie without paying back-issue prices. If you've been following the conversation here, some Legionnaires like it, and some think "meh." I'm in the first camp, just flabbergasted at Mark Waid's sure-footed reboot of a 75-year-old concept that, frankly, is just a shallow vaudeville sketch that somehow found legs. Archie is all about execution, and Waid has been phenomenal at not only telling a done-in-one in each issue, but setting the foundation for future stories as well. It would be easy to tell a six-issue Archie origin story that was really good -- and left future writers nowhere interesting to go. But what Waid is doing is just a beautiful piece of writing that entertains for the moment and also leaves the door open forever. It's one of the few comics where seeing the little man behind the curtain is a plus.

BRENDA STARR COMPLETE PRE-CODE COMICS VOL 2: GOOD GIRLS (HC)

1936744210?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: HERMES PRESS

$60.00

Before Fredric Wertham and The Seduction of the Innocent (SOTI), before before the infamous Comics Code, the comic book racks at local drug stores and newsstands boasted a plethora of delights highlighted by the good girl adventures of the comic book version of Brenda Starr. These four-color wonders displayed all the finer things loved by comic book buyers: good girls, bondage, a little torture, and other delectable things, which adults thought would corrupt the morals of young and impressionable readers. Now, for the first time in over 50-years, comics fans can read and own these rare comics from another era, digitally restored to perfection and presented in an archival hardcover. This volume presents the remaining four Brenda Starr Pre-Code books, issues #9-12, and the very mod and 1960s version of Brenda drawn and scripted by Dale Messick.

I have the first volume of this on my to-read pile, and never got around to it because it looked a little boring. Reading the description above, though, I might have to get to it sooner!

BUBBA REDNECK WEREWOLF (ONE-SHOT)

1936746051?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: CREATURE

Writer: MITCH HYMAN

Art: ROBERTO TORRES

Cover: PATRICK REILLY, JOSE VARESE

$2.99

Satan opens franchises of Hell and begins his campaign of terror as he unleashes some very unwelcome guests on a comic book convention in Florida. The defeat of the zombies hinges on the efforts lovesick dog catcher Bubba Blanche (transformed into a ferocious beer-swilling, cigar-smoking Redneck Werewolf), his hot (but possessive) girlfriend, an axe-wielding ex-nemesis, and the mystic master of the two-stroke discipline! Bubba the Redneck Werewolf is based on Mitch Hyman's long-running comic book series of the same name.

The description says this series has appeared before, but I don't remember it. Anyone read it?

GRAMPA SIMPSONS CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE #1

1936746443?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: BONGO COMICS

Writer: MAX DAVISON

Art: HILARY BARTA, ANDREW PEPOY

Cover: JASON HO & Various

$3.99

A One-Shot Wonder unlike any that has gone before! Join Grampa Simpson as he takes you on an unbelievable tale of swashbuckling derring-do that spans the entire cosmos! It's the wildest ride Bongo Comics has ever offered. And best of all, you take the story wherever you want to go! The possibilities are endless and the options inexhaustible. You can't go wrong when you choose Grampa Simpson's "Choose Your Own Adventure" Adventure!

I just thought everyone should know about this.

HARBINGER #1 ONE DOLLAR DEBUT (NEW PTG)

1936748700?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by JOSHUA DYSART

Art by KHARI EVANS

Cover by ARTURO LOZZI

$1.00 | 32 pgs. | T+ | On sale DECEMBER 16

Re-presenting HARBINGER #1 (2012)

Harbinger really got off to a bang, and this issue is worth reading for that alone. The original was pretty much a straightforward superhero plot with little characterization -- kids discover they have power, evil organization comes to recruit them, they team up and go on the road to escape. This issue, though, focuses on just one guy, and the effect of his new powers have on him -- to wit, he can hear everyone's thoughts constantly, and becomes a drug addict to drown them out. Not a very prepossessing start, eh? But this first issue establishes that (quite painfully) and sets in motion the larger plot without the tedious irritations of an origin story. Nicely done.

HENCHMEN: I, HENCHBOT (TPB)

1936750714?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: ROBOT PAPER

Writer: JAMISON RAYMOND

Art/Cover: RYAN HOWE

$14.99

When Gary Harrison responds to a mysterious classified ad, he is thrust into the subversive world of villainy versus valor. Experience a unique perspective as Gary and his colleagues deal with inane heroes, insane bosses, labor laws, and of course, robots. Collecting all 6 issues of Henchmen: I Henchbot and the Henchmen one-shot special.

I'm hoping Henchman meets Hench-Girl in the sequel, and they marry and have lots of little Henchbrats.

HIERONYMUS (GN)

1936750769?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: KNOCKABOUT COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: MARCEL RUIJTERS

$23.99

A fictionalized biography of Hieronymus Bosch, the late medieval painter. It is a commissioned work for the Bosch500 Foundation and the Mondriaan Art Fund, as a part of a large program of festivities scheduled for his 500th-anniversary in 2016.

Not crazy about the art, but I confess I don't know much about Hieronymous Bosch, and I probably should.

IMPERIUM #11

1936752922?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936755042?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936755196?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936755661?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936755703?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by JOSHUA DYSART

Art/Cover A by CAFU

Cover B by DIEGO BERNARD

Variant Cover by MICHAEL WALSH

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

“THE VINE IMPERATIVE” pushes our world to war

With his resources spread thin and his time running out, Toyo Harada must strike if his plan to save the world by force will ever succeed. After a push to take more of the African continent – deposing corrupt governments and toppling extremists – Harada’s moves on the world stage were too bold to ignore. The alien agents of the Vine race, who were entrenched throughout the global power structure, have seen their opportunity to strike…and Harada now has his opportunity to break their tenuous pact of peace and take them down.

But with a specialized Vine killer among his own team – the ruthless and lethal Lord Vine-99 – will Harada be able to hold tight the grip on his monster’s leash… or will LV-99 turn on his master at last?

IVAR, TIMEWALKER #12

1936755775?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936759676?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936760920?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936755661?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936762730?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by FRED VAN LENTE

Art by PERE PÉREZ

Cover A by RAÚL ALLÉN

Cover B by CAROLINA BENSLER

Variant Cover by KANO

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

FINAL ISSUE! FEATURING CREATION, ANNIHILATION…AND THE DEBUT OF AN ALL-NEW TIMEWALKER!

The Mistress’s true origin stands revealed as Neela Sethi confronts her future! Meanwhile, the mantle of Timewalker passes from one hero to another and Ivar makes the move that will change the Valiant Universe forever!

Be here for the end as New York Times best-selling writer Fred Van Lente (ARCHER & ARMSTRONG) and acclaimed artist Pere Pérez (UNITY) present the startling final chapter of IVAR, TIMEWALKER!

KISS HIM NOT ME VOL 2 (GN)

1936762907?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: KODANSHA COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JUNKO

$10.99

Kae is a secret fujoshi (female manga/anime nerd) who spends all day fantasizing about her male classmates making out with each other. But when sudden, accidental weight loss makes her popular overnight, the boys start going after her instead!

Sometimes I have a hard time coming up with snarky remarks about a lot of manga, because it's simply so removed from my reality, experience or even fantasies that I an only marvel that it exists. For example, I'm pretty sure the girls in my high school weren't daydreaming about the cute boys kissing each other, and NOT kissing them. If I find out they were, my cosmological equilibrium will collapse. So don't tell me.

LADY ZORRO: BLOOD & LACE (TPB)

1936762893?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: ALEXI DI CAMPI

Art: REY VILLEGAS

Cover: JOSEPH  MICHAEL LINSNER

$15.99 / Teen + / 120 pages

Lady Zorro is called back to Alta California to recover a sacred Chumash war axe, stolen by mercenary soldiers. Only she can stop an all-out bloody war across the ranchos, and more deaths like those that consumed her family ... if she can stay on mission! When an opportunity for ultimate vengeance presents itself, can she ignore it? Or will the fiery desire to put her greatest foe six feet underground consume Lady Zorro ... and all of Alta California with it? A violent, sexy tale of intrigue and swashbuckling as the female Fox must use all her assets to get herself out of trouble.

"The pacing, the action, the humor, and the character arc Lady Zorro undergoes comes together wonderfully." -- Fandom Post

"Alex De Campi's script strides on stage with a swagger and a good looking cape from the first page and never once lets up." -- Travelling Man

"A great story... (Alex de Campi) dives right in and tells the story that suits the characters." -- Bread Rock

"If you like your swords and intrigue, then Lady Zorro is highly recommended." -- Backwards Compatible

"This isn't your classic Zorro, and that's a good thing. As much as I love the classic Zorro tales, it's also nice to get a fresh character out there with different experiences, motives, and decisions." -- J.M. Aucoin

I didn't read the individual issues, but I'm looking forward to the trade to see how a female adventurer can possibly fool anyone with a secret ID in a society where women had assigned chaperones 24/7. Oh, I'm sure they manage it. I just want to see how!

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: WITCHCRAFT

f559d4ad-0cd6-4c83-a961-28587d284546.jpg1936764401?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

Writers/Art: JOE KUBERT & Various

SLIPCASE EDITION: 300 copies in full colour slipcase, 288 pages, £44.99/$69.99

BOOKSHOP EDITION: 1,700 bookshop copies available. Unsigned Book only. 288 Pages, £36.99/$49.99

Collected together for the very first time, these classic anthologies will thrill you today as much as when they were first published.

Take a look at these covers and see what it was like back in the fabulous far out’n’freaky, fun’n’funky fifties as regards four-color comicbooks. For just one thin dime, you’d get, f’rinstance, number 4  featuring Death boiling a glamorous raven-haired vixen while inside this crazy volume you’ve got words, inks and pencils from the likes of Mort Meskin, Joe Kubert, Everett Kinstler, Sid Check, Ed Goldfarb and Kelly Freas. You know, makes you feel just like a kid again but I haven’t quite finished the other one yet! Soon...

This single volume features issues 1 - 6 from March 1952 to March 1953. It also features bonus issue “The Dead Who Walk” from 1952.

Off-brand stuff like this is sometimes so bad it's terrific. (Yes, I've ordered mine already.)

PROMETHEUS ETERNAL ONE-SHOT

1936766596?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: LOCUST MOON PRESS

Writers: GRANT MORRISON, JOSH O'NEILL

Art: DAVID MACK & VARIOUS

Cover: BILL SEINKIEWICZ

$5.99

Grant Morrison. Paul Pope. Dave McKean. Bill Sienkiewicz. Farel Dalrymple. Yuko Shimizu. David Mack. Legendary artists through the ages have interpreted the timeless tale of Prometheus' gift of fire, creating a powerful visual tapestry that spans centuries. In this landmark collaboration between the Philadelphia Museum of Art and the Eisner-winning minds behind Little Nemo: Dream Another Dream, the torch has been passed to these visionary creators, who together explore the gift of creation and price of defiance.

Grant Morrison alert!

SILVER VOL 2 (TPB)

1936766731?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: DARK PLANET INC.

Writer/Art/Cover: STEPHAN FRANCK

Mature/$12.99

Set in the world of Bram Stoker's Dracula, 50 years hence into the pulp era of the 1930's, Silver continues the adventures of master thief James Finnigan, Rosalyn "Sledge" Van Helsing, and their team of talented but troubled individuals, as they endeavor to steal an ancient treasure hidden in Dracula's castle. Silver earned Stephan Franck a nomination for the 2014 Russ Manning Most promising Newcomer Award, and a 2015 Geekie Award nomination for Best Comic or Graphic Novel.

Well, I'm a Dracula fan, so this has my attention.

SUPERZERO #1

1936766869?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936766961?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AFTERSHOCK COMICS

Writers: AMANDA CONNER, JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art: RAFAEL DE LATORRE

Cover: AMANDA CONNER

$3.99

With great power comes a bit of insanity, anxiety, and a dash of social alienation! Have you ever fantasized about being a super hero? Well Dru Dragowski does; that's all this nineteen-year-old, comic book obsessed, high school senior thinks about. She needs to escape the normalcy of suburban life! Her plan? To become a real-life superhero by recreating the origins of her favorite comic characters! Hopefully then, she can become a hero not only for herself -- but to protect everyone around her! If only that plan went just the slightest bit right. ... This fun, teen-agnst filled monthly series is created by the sensational writing duo that brings you Harley Quinn and Starfire -- Jimmy Palmiotti & Amanda Conner.

Palmiotti & Conner alert!

WARP 30TH ANNIVERSARY (TPB)

1936767034?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936767157?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DEVILS DUE /1FIRST COMICS, LLC

Writer: PETER B. GILLIS

Art: FRANK BRUNNER & VARIOUS

Cover: FRANK BRUNNER

$27.95

Collects the classic issues adapting the historic Warp theatrical trilogy, what the New York Times called "A comic book come to life!" With a spectacular new Frank Brunner cover and art not seen in 30 years from Warp art director Neal Adams. All nine issues brilliantly recolored, this will be the definitive presentation to be treasured for years to come.

Warp was one of the few indie books of the late '80s that I DIDN'T like. I bought it for the Frank Brunner and Neal Adams art, but it couldn't shake the staginess and cliches of its provenance.

WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #2

1936767280?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936767345?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936767647?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936755661?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936767695?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936767932?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936770310?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936755661?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936772432?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by RAÚL ALLÉN

Cover A by DAVID LAFUENTE

Cover B by RAÚL ALLÉN

Cover C by MARCOS MARTIN

Variant Cover by KANO

Variant Cover by ADAM POLLINA

B&W Sketch Variant by DAVID LAFUENTE

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

At the far end of existence … can even Earth’s immortal soldier withstand a foe as old as life itself?

Valiant is proud to present an advance preview of WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #2 – the next steel-shattering chapter of the new monthly series from New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (BOOK OF DEATH, X-O MANOWAR) and newly Valiant-exclusive artist Raul Allen (BLOODSHOT REBORN, Hawkeye)! On December 16th, Earth's immortal master of war steps out of the shadow of BOOK OF DEATH … and into a staggering quest unlike anything we've ever seen him face before!

Gilad Anni-Padda, the Eternal Warrior, has sacrificed everything to shape a better world…but his work is only beginning. Turning his back on everything and everyone he loved, he must leave the safety of the world he knew behind…and begin a trek across a savage and unexplored realm to return to Earth…if the true cost of his immortality doesn’t destroy him first.

For five millennia, he's broken armies, civilizations, and empires in service to our planet…but can history’s mightiest soldier withstand the trials that await him in a world far older and far more brutal than our own? Beyond Earth lies eternity…and as the Eternal Warrior awakens to battlefields beyond human comprehension, his mettle will be tested like never before!

With just three weeks to go until the first issue hits stands, find out why fans and critics are already heralding Robert Venditti & Raul Allen's WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR as a indelible milestone for the Valiant Universe:

“★★★★★…  A stunning and dazzling debut … WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 firmly establishes itself as the best first issue to come out of Valiant yet.” – All-Comic

“WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 invigorates an immortal hero… Robert Venditti, Raul Allen and Patricia Martin have crafted a narrative bursting with creativity and intrigue.” – The Beat

"Beautiful and powerful… Venditti and Allen [have] put out a startlingly great first issue that looks to provide new insight into Valiant’s most noble characters." – Four Letter Nerd

"Writer Robert Venditti clearly loves working on Eternal Warrior… [WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #1] is a great jumping-on point for those who liked what they saw in BOOK OF DEATH...” – Comic Crusaders

"Haunted by sinister moments… Expect to get a downpour of action, emotional drama, and a whole lot of corpses. It’s going to be a fun ride.” – Infinite Comix

On December 16th, Valiant's next tentpole series continues with a thunderclap of blood and mayhem as Valiant superstars Robert Venditti and Raul Allen venture even farther in unknown territory for WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #2! Featuring covers from an all-star cast of artists, including David Lafuente (A&A, Ultimate Spider-Man), Raul Allen (NINJAK), Marcos Martin (The Private Eye), Kano (THE DELINQUENTS), and Adam Pollina (X-Force), Gilad Anni-Padda's odyssey to the ends of existence soldiers forth here, only in WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR #2!

Hey, maybe while he's in hell, he'll meet Hellboy. That would be a pretty awesome team-up!

YOWAMUSHI PEDAL VOL 1 (GN)

STK687905.jpg?width=250Publisher: YEN PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: WATARU WATANABE

$24.00

Team Sohoku races their hearts out in the name of guts and glory in the inspiring original manga series behind the cycling anime smash hit, Yowamushi Pedal! For the love of all things otaku -- anime, video games, figures, you name it! -- power-pedaling Sakamichi Onoda has long been conquering the steepest slopes and regularly making the ninety-kilometer round-trip to Akihabara on a granny bike! But when his bike commute to his new high school lands him in a confrontation with the serious first-year road racer Imaizumi, Onoda has a major showdown on his hands! Can this meek geek really out-pedal the future ace of the school road-racing team?!

I have no doubt that this is an enjoyable manga. And while I made fun of the Yaoi above, I know that's a familiar manga genre, whereas bicyling ... ? Bicycling? Really? Bicycling? Wow.

• The problem with strange sports stories for me has always been that I don't give a hoot for regular sports. I presume that's not a problem for the rest of the known universe. So sue me.

"Pootwaddle!"

"Sir?"

"Call my lawyers! See if it actually is possible to sue Smith for not liking sports!"

"Yes, sir."

Sometimes I have a hard time coming up with snarky remarks about a lot of manga, because it's simply so removed from my reality, experience or even fantasies that I an only marvel that it exists. For example, I'm pretty sure the girls in my high school weren't daydreaming about the cute boys kissing each other, and NOT kissing them. If I find out they were, my cosmological equilibrium will collapse. So don't tell me.

This is one of the areas of Japanese popular culture that I don't quite "get" myself.  Were I a betting man, I would lay a shade of odds that by the final volume she will find a boy that she will not mind being kissed by.

(Addendum: While it is not common, I have known at least one girl in real life who seemed to enjoy watching two guys kiss, so it is at least possible. Well, after all, there are guys who seem to get off on watching two girls kiss. )

I have no doubt that this is an enjoyable manga. And while I made fun of the Yaoi above, I know that's a familiar manga genre, whereas bicyling ... ? Bicycling? Really? Bicycling? Wow.

Sports-themed manga and anime are by all accounts quite popular in Japan, but for whatever reason, I haven't seen too many of them in this country.

• The Baron said:

Sports-themed manga and anime are by all accounts quite popular in Japan, but for whatever reason, I haven't seen too many of them in this country.

This week wants to belie your observation, with the Strange Sports Stories collection. But that coincidence aside --- SSS is an anomaly --  you're right. I can't think of any sports stories outside of SSS. I'm sure there are some that I just didn't see, or have forgotten. Or there are books which are sorta sports but are in SF or horror drag, like the DH series about runners in a dystopic future who run for crime syndicates (adapted from a video game).

But the only straight-out sports stories I can think of are DC's strange sports stories. And they didn't give it short shrift; Carmine Infantino had faith in the concept and tried it again and again, always to low sales.

I suspect the overlap of the circles on the Venn diagram for "sports fans" and "comics fans" has always been pretty small. Larger now than I've ever seen it, I admit, but that's starting at pretty much zero, I suspect, in the 1960s.

• Actually, what I meant was that I haven't seen many sports-themed  Japanese anime or manga released in this country.  Now that you mention it, I haven't seen much American sports-themed stuff, either. I remember when I was a kid, seeing a DC book where the heroes and villain played a game of baseball against one another.  Also, I gather the comic strip  Gil Thorp is still going.

The British used to do lots of soccer-themed strips (and may still do) - I remember three: "Roy of the Rovers", about a soccer team called the Rovers whose star player was called Roy, "The Football Family Robinson", about a soccer team whose players were all members of the same family, and a third one whose title escapes me, but it was about who a kid who found a stereopticon with a set of pictures of soccer players, and when he put the pictures into the stereopticon they would materialize in real life and play soccer for him.

• Bubba the Redneck Werewolf had its main run years ago, I think. I have one or two, picked up from Mitch at a convention in Philly. I actually wound up having dinner with the guy (and a bunch of other indie creators) before the show. What I remember best about talking to him was that his day job at the time was subduing loose alligators for Florida Fish & Wildlife. I remember him saying how important it was to duct-tape their mouths shut. 

I don't remember much about the book itself; it was a humor book, and not really being my cup of tea. But it's been ages since I read it.

• Captain Comics said:

Back in the long-before time, there was little to eat, and the fields were full of stones, and giants ate us and picked their teeth with our bones. Aye, those were hard days, and we were hard men. And hard women. And some of the children were a little flinty, too. But there were comics, and we were happy. Then came the dark times. And lo, all the comics were canceled, and many restarted several times, and convention was tossed to the wind. Where once a book had to be out at least a year before it got an annual, now they arrive willy-nilly, in a fashion such as to make a man's head swim. Aye, even a hard man such as myself. Sometimes I miss those damn giants.

I have to say how much I enjoyed this paragraph!

I can't think of any sports stories outside of SSS. I'm sure there are some that I just didn't see, or have forgotten.

The one that keeps coming to mind is the infamous EC baseball game.

• I think Marvel put out a tennis-based series in the early Jemas years. And I think Chuck Austen had a baseball romance series that got an issue or two before the plug was pulled. 

And, of course, NFL SuperPro and Kickers, Inc!

• In US newspaper strips, I can think of Joe Palooka and Big Ben Bolt (boxing), and Rusty Riley (horse racing).

Boxing features from US comic books include “Pep Riley”, which was one of the original features in Action Comics and which ran to #41, "Kayo Ward" from the first couple of years of Pep Comics, and “Boom Boom Brannigan", which ran for 22 issues in Prize Comics. There were two “Kid Adonis” stories produced by Simon and Kirby. (The GCD ascribes their pencils to Joe Simon.) DC's Wildcat was a boxer in his other ID.

Charlton put out quite a number of motor racing/motorcycle racing titles: Hot Rods and Racing Cars, Speed Demons, Teenage HotroddersDrag-Strip Hotrodders, Hot Rod RacersGrand Prix, World of Wheels, Drag N’ Wheels, Surf N’ Wheels. Jack Keller, the long-time Kid Colt artist, drew for a number of these.

Other US comics involving sports include Baseball Comics (Will Eisner; one issue), All-American Sports (Charlton; one issue), Hot Wheels (DC; toy tie-in), Champion Sports (DC; three issues; one of Joe Simon’s short-lived 70s efforts with Jerry Grandenetti), Evel Knievel (Marvel; one issue; toy tie-in), The Human Fly (Marvel) and Team America (Marvel; toy tie-in). I've counted stunt riding/daredevil stunting as sports.

Marvel's Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze) was initially a stunt rider.

Of cartoon tie-ins, Gold Key briefly published Hanna-Barbera Wacky Races, and Charlton Speed Buggy. Various companies have done Speed Racer comics, including Now in the late 80s/early 90s.

• Luke Blanchard said:

In US newspaper strips, I can think of Joe Palooka and Big Ben Bolt (boxing), and Rusty Riley (horse racing).

Also Barney Google, when it was about racing Spark Plug, and Frank Frazetta's Johnny Comet. A search of Toonopedia found me two more, Ozark Ike (baseball) and Gil Thorp. Also strips on the theme of betting (A. Piker Clerk, which it notes was possibly the model of A. Mutt [which became Mutt and Jeff but initially had a betting theme], and Joe and Asbestos). 

• Richard Willis said:

Captain Comics said:

I have to say how much I enjoyed this paragraph!

Thank you!

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

I think Marvel put out a tennis-based series in the early Jemas years. And I think Chuck Austen had a baseball romance series that got an issue or two before the plug was pulled. 

And, of course, NFL SuperPro and Kickers, Inc!

How could I forget NFL Superpro and Kickers, Inc.?

Oh, wait, they were really terrible. It was pretty easy to forget them.

This reply was deleted.