Comics Guide for December 9, 2015

DARK HORSE COMICS

ALABASTER: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE BIRD #1 (of 5)

Writer: CAITLÍN R. KIERNAN

Art: DANIEL WARREN JOHNSON

Colors: CARLOS BADILLA

Cover: GREG RUTH

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

“Kiernan is the poet and the bard of the wasted and the lost.”—Neil Gaiman

A new evil haunts the sun-scorched back roads and ghost towns of the American South—murderous twins who command a legion of ghouls. Once again, Dancy Flammarion must face down demons: both those who walk the world unchallenged and those in her own shattered mind.

Winner of the Bram Stoker Award!

“A fresh take on the terrible creatures that lurk in the shadows.”—Comic Book Resources

Evidently I missed the previous Alabaster series, but like a good writer, Kiernan lets me know what I need to know in this first issue. She also sets in motion the new plot, and it's a corker. I don't know the parameters of all these players, but it's creepy enough that I'm on board.

I should mention the art, a cross between cartoony and gritty, which is more common these days than one would expect. I grew up admiring Curt Swan and Neal Adams, but I'm coming around to less realistic art as my fear that comics won't be taken seriously fades. This new fusion art is dirty and grungy, but faces show a cartoon -- or, more likely, manga -- influence to denote emotion and bodies don't always stay in strict proportion. That's not to say the artist can't draw everyday objects realistically, because he does -- he just doesn't feel constrained to keep things realistic when he's got a point to make.

Johnson's work reminds me a bit of Harrow County, if that helps.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEWS

HARROW COUNTY #8

Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Art/Cover: TYLER CROOK

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Ongoing

Kammi has rallied the forsaken haints to her dark cause. Now Emmy may have to make a profound sacrifice if she hopes to protect her kith and kin at the heart of Harrow County.

“If you like creepy, eerie, gory, and scary stories, don’t hesitate to pick this one up.”—ComicWow!

“One of the most haunting comics to come out in some time.”—IGN

Speak of the devil!

I've been praising this book for a while, and this issue is no exception (in fact, it's the climax of the current storyline, and very well done). So it's no surprise that Harrow County is being picked up for television. Unfortunately, it's for SyFy, which doesn't exactly have a great track record (See: Sharknado Nos. 1-3). Well, maybe they'll get a classy production company.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEWS

JACK THE RIPPER (HC)

Writer: FRANÇOIS DEBOIS

Art: JEAN-CHARLES POUPARD

FC, 104 pages, $17.99, HC, 7” x 10”

A TRUE HORROR ORIGINAL!

Spring 1889. Months have passed since Whitechapel was covered in blood, and while the mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper goes cold, Inspector Frederick Abberline is still a man obsessed. But when a series of killings identical to the Ripper’s occur in Paris, Abberline must risk everything to close history’s most famous murder case once and for all!

A wonderful companion to Dark Horse’s Sherlock Holmes collection!

The environment’s first responders!

I blundered into this without any idea what it was. I thought perhaps it was a historical graphic novel, but it turns out that this is its own animal, a fiction using the situations and dramatis personae of the Ripper crimes. (Det. Abberline is the central character.) Once I divorced myself from my outrage over the book's deviation from history, I read it as a fiction set in a familar universe, and enjoyed it quite a bit. Both story and art are good comics. Just not history, so don't be looking for that.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEWS

THE MASSIVE: NINTH WAVE #1 (of 6)

Writer: BRIAN WOOD

Art: GARRY BROWN

Colors: JORDIE BELLAIRE

Cover: J. P. LEON

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

The environment’s first responders

In the pages of The Massive, Ninth Wave was struggling to repair a broken world. But before that, they were the preeminent global environmental-rescue unit, taking on criminals, polluters, politicians, and rogue states. The Massive: Ninth Wave tells these stories in a stylish, high-action, done-in-one format, reuniting the entire creative team from the original series.

Praise for Brian Wood’s The Massive:

“The Massive is everything readers have come to expect from Wood: provocative, original, and fiercely intelligent.”—Comic Book Resources

“A gripping read.”—IGN

“Absolutely perfect.”—ComicBook.com

I didn't read the last Massive series, but the fact it sold well enough for a sequel and that the writer is Brian Wood are both pretty good recommendations.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

PLANETES OMNIBUS VOL 1 (TPB)

Writer/Art/Cover: MAKOTO YUKIMURA

B&W, 568 pages, $19.99, TPB, 5 3/4” x 8 1/4”

SPACE IS MESSY. SOMEONE’S GOT TO CLEAN IT UP!

In the 2070s, increased interplanetary travel has led to crisis-level amounts of dangerous space debris, and someone has to clean it up. Planetes follows the space-garbage crew of aspiring explorer Hachimaki, mourning Yuri, and secretive Fee, collected in two omnibus editions, printed from the original files and complete with bonus color pages!

• Winner of two Seiun Awards, Japan’s highest honor for science fiction.

• For fans of Warren Ellis and Jonathan Hickman!

“My favorite sci-fi comic of all time.” —Alex de Campi

Enlist for this one-shot story!

I started to read this and gave up after a chapter because it refused to give me the standard information I need to enjoy the story: Names, places, the whos and whats. I suspect my digital copy is incomplete. Ergo, I can tell you nothing.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

REBELS #9

Writer: BRIAN WOOD

Art: ANDREA MUTTI

Colors: JORDIE BELLAIRE

Cover: TULA LOTAY

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Ongoing

Before the Revolutionary War, across the Ohio River Valley, numerous forts were built to claim and hold valuable territory. Meet Stone Hoof, a young Native American who falls in with a crew of white settlers during the French and Indian War.

From best-selling writer Brian Wood (The Massive, DMZ, Northlanders).

“A good comic book full of solid characterization and beautiful art.”—Comic Book Resources

Another one-shot set in the Revolutionary War. It's not as satisfying as the last one, but then, any story now involving Native American tribes just depresses me, knowing their eventual fate.

DC COMICS

BATMAN/TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #1

Written by JAMES TYNION IV

Art and cover by FREDDIE E. WILLIAMS II

1:50 Variant cover by KEVIN EASTMAN

Blank variant cover

32 pg, FC,  1 of 6, $3.99 US • RATED T

DC Entertainment and IDW Publishing announced their latest crossover miniseries during IDW’s panel on Friday at Comic-Con International: San Diego with BATMAN/TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES. Scheduled for November, this six-part monthly miniseries is set in the streets of Gotham City where fans will see the Dark Knight fight like never before with wall-to-wall ninja action.

The story will be brought to life by James Tynion IV (BATMAN: ETERNAL, CONSTANTINE) and star artist Freddie E. Williams II (ROBIN, CAPTAIN ATOM) handling interior and cover art.  In addition, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles co-creator Kevin Eastman and other to-be-announced artists will illustrate variant covers.

"Batman is the world’s most popular superhero. He continues to be re-imagined and this new crossover showcases his ongoing appeal as a global pop icon for the ages,” said Editor-in-Chief of DC Comics, Bob Harras.

“We here at IDW have very much enjoyed working with DC Entertainment on fan favorite crossover comics,” said IDW President, Greg Goldstein. “TMNT is a global phenomenon, beloved by millions. Pairing the Turtles with Batman will prove to be a publishing event that transcends comic book culture.”

“I’ve been extremely luck to spend so much time working in Gotham City, but it’s always a thrill to see the world of Batman through new eyes,” explained writer James Tynion IV. “Taking the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on a Gotham adventure is a fanboy dream come true.”

In the ongoing power struggle between the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, General Krang and the Foot Clan, allegiances have shifted and the battle lines have been drawn. Krang concocts a plan to rid himself of both the Turtles and Shredder by transporting them to another dimension, where they land in the dark and dangerous streets of Gotham City. It isn't long before they encounter Gotham's most famous resident, Batman.  The Caped Crusader may be their only hope of overcoming their enemies and getting back home. But not before they encounter a whole cast of Gotham's most infamous rogues.

Well, why not? Superman met Bugs Bunny once, didn't he?

Check out our press blog gallery here.

FLINCH BOOK ONE (TPB)

Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO, GARTH ENNIS, BILL WILLINGHAM, GREG RUCKA and others

Art by JIM LEE, FRANK QUITELY, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, EDUARDO RISSO, KELLEY JONES, TY TEMPLETON, PHIL JIMENEZ and others

Cover by PHIL HALE

192 pg, FC, $16.99 US • MATURE READERS

The first eight issues of Vertigo’s quirky, star-studded horror anthology is collected for the first time! These stories spotlight a small-town cult, a violent gang of senior citizens, the deadly results of creating a home-made rocket pack, and much more.

I remember reading this as individual issues back in the day and really enjoying them. I had read far fewer modern horror books back then, but even so a lot of these stories seemed pretty transgressive. That's what you want in horror, and this book delivered. I don't know if it still holds up -- there have been a lot of horror books under the bridge since it came out -- but I suspect it does.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: GODS AND MEN – LEX LUTHOR #1

Written by FRANCIS MANAPUL

Art by BONG DAZO

Cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

ADVANCE SOLICIT • ONE-SHOT • On sale NOVEMBER 11 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Lex Luthor has gained the power of a God, but his one failure continues to deny him the peace he craves—and only a crazed Superman can help him get it!

Just a heads up if you're reading this series.

KID ETERNITY DELUXE EDITION (HC)

Written by GRANT MORRISON

Art and cover by DUNCAN FEGREDO

160 pg, FC, 7.0625” x 10.875”, $24.99 US • MATURE READERS

Meet Kid Eternity, a teenager with supernatural powers and the ability to bring back the dead—a gift from the powers above for being taken by death ahead of his time. Now the free-spirited kid is back as an agent of Chaos in a world that’s too ordered for his taste. Using chaos magic to elevate humanity’s existence, he finds a path paved with demons, death and madness! Collects KID ETERNITY #1-3!

I also remember reading this as individual issues when it came out, and being disappointed. I probably didn't know who Grant Morrison was back then (or, should I say, who he would become), but I found his use of a character whose powers beg for both explanation and horrible expansion to be unimaginative and unambitious. Yes, I just used those two words to describe a Morrison story, so perhaps I simply missed a layer of meaning. But Morrison left the character in no shape to be used again, which is also some sort of literary crime. Pass.

NEW ROMANCER #1

Written by PETER MILLIGAN

Art and cover by BRETT PARSON

32 pg, FC, 1 of 12, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

Fired from a cushy job in Silicon Valley, Lexy becomes a coder for New Romancer, an Internet-dating app that’s seen better days. To create fake profiles, she plunders characteristics from history’s most notorious lovers. Using little-known writings by Ada Lovelace, the world’s first computer programmer, Lexy pushes the boundaries of coding and accidentally unleashes history’s greatest lover: Lord Byron. Online dating meets courtly love in this paranormal rom-com by Vertigo veteran writer Peter Milligan and rising art-star Brett Parson (Tank Girl).

When you say "history's greatest lover" I take issue, because I think everyone's definition of such a concept would be personal and unique. How do you judge "history's greatest lover"? If it's notches on a bedpost, there are more qualified candidates. If it's romantic poetry, Byron has serious competition. If it's bisexuality, I don't really see that as a necessary qualification. If it's someone who -- and this is my definition -- is thoughtful and considerate of a partner, and subsumes one's own ego in the effort to make someone else happy, well, Byron isn't even in the running. He was a right bastard most of the time.

Oh well. Maybe I'll enjoy the story anyway.

IDW PUBLICATIONS

BROOKLYN ANIMAL CONTROL (ONE-SHOT)

Writer: J.T. PETTY

Art/Cover: STEPHEN THOMPSON

FC • 48 pages • $7.99

Brooklyn Animal Control is not your run-of-the-mill social services agency, and the officers assigned to it are not your average caseworkers… they are a breed apart. These street-hardened veterans negotiate a dangerous secret world in the heart of New York City, one inhabited by werewolves that roam the streets by night, and infest the hidden back rooms of the criminal elite in their human alter-egos by day. Which of their forms is more viscous is open to debate… but both are equally deadly!

In print for the first time! Recently announced as a TV Pilot for USA Network!

I'm looking forward to this, because the concept is kinda cool. And I guess I have to read it, since it's coming to TV!

THE COLLECTED ESSEX COUNTY (LIMITED EDITION)

Writer/Art/Cover: JEFF LEMIRE

HC • BW • $60.00 net cost item • 512 pages

By popular demand, Top Shelf celebrates the award-winning masterpiece that made Jeff Lemire a household name! Set in an imaginary version of the author's hometown, ESSEX COUNTY is an intimate study of an eccentric farming community, and a tender meditation on family, memory, grief, secrets, reconciliation — and hockey. With his lush, expressive inking, Lemire draws us in and sets us free. This elegant foil-stamped slipcase edition features an exclusive letterpress bookplate signed & numbered by the author and is limited to 500 copies worldwide.

“This is the comics medium at its best." — Booklist

I had no idea what made Jeff Lemire famous. It's this? Well, I'll give it a try, then.

COMPLETE VOODOO VOL 1 (HC)

Writers: Various

Art: MATT BAKER, The Iger Shop

Cover: The Iger Shop

HC • FC • $29.99 • 208 pages • 8.5" x 11"

Good Girl Art, and old-skool horror art by the master Matt Baker and his associates from the infamous art group The Iger Shop!

Filled with lurid pulp-fiction comics like "Zombie Bride," "The Weird Dead," and "The Crawling Horror." This large format, full-color book of terrors, is the first of three volumes and has a fear-filled and fascinating introduction by Mike "The Worst of Eerie Publications" Howlett!

• WARNING: THIS BOOK IS NOT APPROVED BY PARENTS, THE GOVERNMENT or THE COMICS CODE!

• Voodoo has has put a spell on you! One of the weirdest, coolest, cheesiest, most bizarre, goriest Pre-Code comic books is being reprinted in its entirety.

Already on order. Matt Baker! Nonsensical pre-Code horror! A complete series run! How could I resist?

THE EIGHTH SEAL #1 (of 5)

Writer: JAMES TYNION IV

Art/Cover: JEREMY ROCK

Subscription Variant: TRAVEL FOREMAN

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

• From James Tynion IV, writer of TMNT/Batman!

• A perfect blend of political intrigue and cosmic horror!

James Tynion IV scribes a story about a woman whose visceral nightmares about transforming into a demonic monster start to bleed into reality. But this woman isn’t just any woman; she is the First Lady of the United States, and this is all happening under an intense political spotlight. As she struggles with the loss of her civilian lifestyle, she is also seemingly losing grasp on her mind … or do these visions hold some darker truth?

“This story is like the TV show The West Wing, with a little of the horror classic Rosemary’s Baby, and some Nightmare on Elm Street all rolled in to one. It’s got political intrigue, shadowy figures, and of course a terrifying demon to scare you in all different ways,” said Comic Spectrum.

"The Eighth Seal is the purest work of horror I've tackled in my career, and I'm thrilled to see it come to life again in print," said series writer, Tynion IV. “There's nothing more frightening than the distinct feeling that you're going insane, that something in you has twisted and is pulling you towards your darkest instincts... It's the fear that something inside of you can destroy everything you love. And when you're the First Lady of the United States, the stakes are only that much higher."

The series originally released by Mark Waid’s digital comics website Thrillbent.com features beautifully wicked art by Jeremy Rock and covers by a slew of talented artists, including Ming Doyle and Riley Rossmo and subscription variant covers by Travel Foreman (Animal Man, Birds of Prey).

"I’ve been a huge fan of James and Jeremy’s work on The Eighth Seal since I first saw it, and it makes me very happy to see this series come to IDW,” said series editor, Michael Benedetto. “The atmosphere here is horror at its finest, and I’m sure many will agree after picking up the first issue. The political and psychological elements are blended perfectly and lead to an ending that does not disappoint!"

Eighth Seal is a unique take on both a political drama with a demonic possession horror story. The writing is solid and art goes above and beyond what we normally see in a horror comic. Try out this comic and you’ll be so freaked out that you’ll just have to come back to find out more.” – Comic Spectrum

It's the Golden Age of creator-owned series, isn't it? I credit Walking Dead -- I imagine every comics writer seeing Robert Kirkman becoming a millionaire and thinking, "I'm a better writer than him! I deserve to be a millionaire!" -- but I've gotten some pushback on that idea on this site. Still, no one can argue that there aren't a LOT of new, high-quality crime, SF and horror titles to choose from, coming mainly from Dark Horse, Vertigo and Image. And that's good for all of us!

MICKEY & DONALD'S CHRISTMAS PARADE

Writers: ABRAMO and GIAMPAOLO BAROSSO, KIRSTEN DE GRAAF, JONATHAN GRAY

Art: GIOVAN BATTISTA CARPI, MAY HEYMANS, MARCO MAZZARELLO

Cover: GIORGIO CAVAZZANO

FC • 64 pages • $5.99

It’s a ho-ho-humongous collection of Disney Yuletide tales! Mickey and Uncle Scrooge battle Pegleg Pete and the Beagle Boys in “The Christmas Caper!” Then Daisy, Donald and Gladstone have a not-so-jolly holiday in “Christmas Clubbing”—and Super Goof returns for spacescape shenanigans in “Interstellar Santa!”

• Giant Disney Christmas comics are a tradition as old as egg nog! And now Christmas Parade is back—with new-to-the-USA Yuletide yarns by fan favorite creators!

• In a treat for nostalgic fans and young Mickey Mouse Clubhouse members, Goofy’s “goober-gulping” secret identity Super Goof returns!

• “The artwork is exactly what you would expect from Disney, bringing its iconic characters back to life and supplying us with the types of situations and script we can come to expect in any cartoon rendition.” –ComicBuzz.com

I remember these Christmas specials from my youth, from Dell I think. Just the cover makes me nostalgic.

MY LITTLE PONY HOLIDAY SPECIAL

Writer/Art/Cover: KATIE COOK

Subscription Variant: BRENDA HICKEY

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

It’s holiday time in Equestria and the ponies are ready to celebrate! Join the celebration in this special one shot that shows how different ponies enjoy the festivities!

Written and drawn by Katie Cook!

Of course ponies can celebrate Christmas. Why should reindeer have all the fun?

IMAGE COMICS

MONSTRESS #2

Writer: MARJORIE LIU

Art/Cover: SANA TAKEDA

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

Maika fights to cross the wall.

That is a mighty fine cover!

SYMMETRY #1

Writer: MATT HAWKINS

Art/Covers A, B, & C: RAFFAELE IENCO

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.99

Utopia is here. Hunger, sickness, work ... all relics of a long forgotten past. For the greater good of the human species, all individuality, creativity, and negative emotions have been genetically bred out and medically suppressed. The population is limited to segregated areas where people lead long lives of leisure, games, and socializing. Only one man and one woman seem to notice, care, or think differently. Once they find each other, their relationship sparks a revolution ... but will their love cause the salvation or destruction of mankind?

Another new SF book. The cover art looks a little stiff, but maybe that's on purpose.

THE VIOLENT #1

Writer: ED BRISSON

Art/Cover: ADAM GORHAM

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

From ED BRISSON (SHELTERED) and ADAM GORHAM (Dead Drop) comes an all-new, ongoing series. Meet Mason, an ex-con and former drug addict who’s trying hard to give up his old life. He’s got more important things to live for now: a wife struggling to contain her own addiction and a young daughter who needs them both. When threatened with losing his daughter, Mason falls into old habits, stumbling through a string of desperate criminal acts whose repercussions quickly become deadly serious.

And here's a new crime series! Man, there's so much to read these days!

MARVEL COMICS

GWENPOOL SPECIAL #1

Written by GERRY DUGGAN, CHARLES SOULE, CHRISTOPHER HASTINGS & MORE

Art by DANILO BEYRUTH, LANGDON FOSS, GURIHIRU & MORE

Cover by KRIS ANKA

Variants by ROBBI RODRIGUEZ, EMANEUELA LUPACCHINO  and JAMES HARREN

50 PGS / Rated T / $5.99

AN ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT MARVEL HOLIDAY SPECIAL!

Your eyes do NOT deceive you, True Believer. She’s real, and she’s making landfall in the Marvel Universe this November! Introducing … GWENPOOL! Making her thunderous debut in November’s HOWARD THE DUCK #1 – meet the character that’s already taking the world by storm!

She’s smart, she’s charming and she can shoot and stab her way through a gaggle of Hydra goons before you know it! And she’s coming to our universe for special backup stories in HOWARD THE DUCK #1 - #3 – written by Christopher Hastings with art by Marvel newcomer Danilo Beyruth! A stranger in a strange land, she’ll enlist the aid of someone who knows a thing or two about being from an alternate universe – Howard the Duck! Now birds of a feather, the Marvelous Mallard is about to show Gwenpool the ins and outs of her new home – the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe!

• She-Hulk throws a holiday party and invites the entire Marvel U!

• Deadpool teams up with both Hawkeyes – Kate and Clint – to…stop a pickpocket?!

• Ms. Marvel takes on her most dangerous threat yet: the holiday blues!

• And then there’s the reason for the season(al special): GWENPOOL!

• Yup, you read that right – Gwen. Pool. C’mon, you know you’re curious.

Featuring Gerry Duggan, Charles Soule, Christopher Hastings, Danilo Beyruth, Langdon Foss, Gurihiru and more – this is one you won’t want to miss!

So grab some milk and cookies and join us as the merriest creators tackle the ho-ho-ho-iest characters for a holiday special unlike any you’ve seen before. Don’t miss the bombastic GWENPOOL SPECIAL #1 when it comes to comic shops and digital devices this December!

I ... I ... I don't know what to say. Merry Christmas?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

SCARLET WITCH #1

Written by JAMES ROBINSON

Art by VANESSA DEL REY

Cover by DAVID AJA

Variant Cover by KEVIN WADA

Hip-Hop Variant by BILL SIENKIEWICZ

Marvel ’92 Variant by TOM RANEY

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

Witchcraft is broken. And the Scarlet Witch is the only one who can fix it. Her globetrotting quest to repair the magical forces across the Marvel Universe begins this December in SCARLET WITCH #1! Eisner Award winning writer James Robinson is joined by a rotating crew of some of the industry’s hottest creators including Vanesa Del Rey, Marco Rudy, Steve Dillon, Javier Pulido, Marguerite Sauvage, Annie Wu, Tula Lotay, Joelle Jones, Chris Visions and more to chronicle the ongoing adventures of Wanda Maximoff! From the back alleys of Manhattan, to the serene Greek Isles, to the bustling streets of Hong Kong, the Witch is there – solving magical crimes and investigating all things weird. But as Wanda begins to piece witchcraft back together – an even more important question arises: Who is the mastermind who broke it in the first place? Find out this December as the magical journey begins in SCARLET WITCH #1!

For years Wanda was a nothing, a pose-and-point character who always did what her domineering brother told her to do. Then Marvel tried to make her A-list, but in the process turned her into a demented mass-murderer with powers too powerful to write. Gah! Hopefully this series will find a middle ground, where Scarlet Witch becomes an A-lister with described limits/functions for her powers, motivation beyond what the men around her want and a character I can admire. Oh, and don't forget a supporting cast, Marvel!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

SECRET WARS #8 (of 9)

Writer: JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art: ESAD RIBIC

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Variant Cover by SIMONE BIANCHI

CONNECTING Cover by SIMONE BIANCHI

Variant Cover by SARA PICHELLI

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Classic Cover by TBA

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

56 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

GENESIS!

It’s the story that has the world talking. The biggest Marvel event of all time. And it’s rocketing toward it’s cataclysmic conclusion. Today, Marvel is pleased to present Alex Ross’ stunning cover to SECRET WARS #8 – the epic, penultimate issue of the blockbuster event! Chartbusting creators Jonathan Hickman and Esad Ribic march toward the end of their grand saga as the final battle against God Doom rages on! Battleworld teeters on the brink. The Shield has fallen. Armies march on Doomstadt. As Battleworld gives way to a new Marvel Universe … no one will come out the other side unscathed, if they come out at all. Who lives? Who dies? Find out when the penultimate chapter comes to comic shops in SECRET WARS #8!

Finally. (And #9 is now officially bumped to 2016.) Can you believe this series was supposed to be over by the end of September?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

SQUADRON SINISTER (TPB)

Written by MARC GUGGENHEIM with ROY THOMAS

Penciled by CARLOS PACHECO with SAL BUSCEMA

Cover by CARLOS PACHECO

136 PGS / Parental Advisory / $16.99

They’re the world’s greatest villains: the Squadron Sinister! And they’re taking Battleworld by force in this SECRET WARS tie-in for fans of crime epics like The Godfather, The Sopranos and Sons of Anarchy. But will controlling one domain be enough for Hyperion and his gang? Not hardly. First, the Squadron Sinister take on the Frightful Four for control over the Combat domain. Which group of villains will be the ones to take out the Howling Commandos, the Leatherneck Raiders, and the Deadly Dozen? Then, it’s all-out war between the Squadron and the New Universe heroes of Nutopia! But what’s up with that Starbrand army? Are the Sinisters a greater danger to themselves than their foes? And which member is going to die?! Plus: the Squadron Sinister’s classic debut! Collecting SQUADRON SINISTER #1-4 and AVENGERS (1963) #69-70.

I appreciate the callback to 1970s Justice League of America with the vignettes running down both sides of the cover. Here's what y'all said:

DETECTIVE 445

Issue #1: "(It) is a pretty straightforward superhero/villain comic with some nice Carlos Pacheco art. Right off the bat we see the Squadron taking on the JMS Supreme Power team. I'm not sure where this particular Squadron Sinister team is drawn from but they are definitely not the Gruenwald Earth 712 team. Looking forward to the rest of this series."

Issue #2: "I'm enjoying Squadron Sinister as much as any of the books I've read so far. Issue #2 features a lot of Game of Thrones style maneuvering to gain control of the realms around Utopolis including Nutopia which seems to be the home of Jim Shooter's New Universe characters and Europix which houses military characters like Sgt Fury. Really enjoying the Pacheco art on this one."

Issue #3: "This is a neat series and probably one of the best of the lot. It's fun watching Guggenheim move all of the different pieces around the board. He's really taken advantage of the patchwork universe concept by bringing all these different characters to bear and as a bonus we get to see Pacheco draw them all.  Basically it's evil-JLA (Crime Syndicate) against everybody.  Therein lies the rub for me because I can't find a pov character to invest in.  And I'm a little irked at Guggenheim for the way he's treating some of these characters that I'm a bit fond of. This time around it's Shooter's New Universe heroes and Stern/Byrne's Lost Generation team. Those are minor quibbles though and I'll definitely check out the ongoing series once this wraps up."

Final issue: "Wrapped up with issue 4 and what I would consider another whimper-rather-than-bang scenario.  Despite some neat ideas and nice artwork this was yet another tie-in that didn't really seem to have any kind of plan when it came to delivering a resolution."

WANDERING SENSEI

Issue #2 (Guggenheim and Pacheco): "This is one of the most complex and entertaining SW books I've read, and I've read many great ones. The kicker is that I know virtually none of the characters. I am just enjoying this as it comes. I get the feeling that I've come in right in the middle of a big convoluted story, simply because I'm not familiar with the majority of the cast. I'm loving it. Great character work, lots of twists and turns, and entertainment value is high."

OTHER PUBLISHERS

AIRSHIP ENTERPRISE #1

Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: BRIAN DENHAM

$3.99

Brian Denham, the creator of Steam Queens; artist of Iron Man: Hypervelocity, the X-Files and Green Hornet comics; and regular mainstay of the Victorian Secret specials treks into undiscovered steampunk country with Airship Enterprise!

Captain Janus Tibbs and her intrepid airship crew are assigned to investigate a distress call from a research vessel.  Upon reaching their destination, they encounter a huge field of floating debris-which attacks their scout ships as they navigate through it!

Steampunk Star Trek? And from the looks of it, unauthorized steampunk Star Trek. Can't say I'm too crazy about that -- I mean, come on, what's Star Trek without the high tech? -- but that cover art is top notch.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

ANI IMO VOL 5 (GN)

Publisher: YEN PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: HARUKO KURUMATANI

Mature/$13

A hilarious gender-swapping comedy with a forbidden twist! Quite by accident, Youta and Hikaru have finally returned to their original bodies. It should be a happy event, but just because they've reverted back to normal doesn't mean their brother-sister relationship can so easily return to the way it once was. Hikaru is adamant not to lose the momentum she's gained over the past few weeks, but Koizumi is equally resolved to see Hikaru as only his sister. Now that she's back in her own body and not his, though, it's impossible for him not to notice how attractive the whole Hikaru really is!

Gender-swapping AND incest! It's a twofer!

BAD MOON RISING #3

Publisher: 451 MEDIA GROUP

Writers: SCOTT ROSENBERG, BRANDON M. EASTON

Art/Cover: TY DAZO

There is something stirring in the woods outside the town of Talbot, something hungry! As the Lunar Cycles' welcome from the townsfolk begins to wear thin, a third grizzly attack leaves an entire family ripped to pieces. Teddy continues his search for who, or what, killed his father, discovering pieces of his past in the process. Fearing for their safety, the townsfolk bring in their own animal tracker to investigate the gruesome murders. Unfortunately for the townsfolk, they find what they are looking for!

I have to admit, the idea of a were-grizzly is much scarier than a werewolf.

DENNIS THE MENACE CLASSIC COMIC BOOKS VOL 1 (HC)

Publisher: PAPERCUTZ

Writer: FRED TOOLE

Art/Cover: OWEN FITZGERALD, AL WISEMAN

$19.99

By popular demand, the classic Dennis the Menace comics are presented for a new audience! Originally published in the 50s, 60s, and 70s, these comics are just as funny today as when they first appeared. Dennis the Menace is the brainchild of Hank Ketcham. Appearing in more than 1,000 newspapers, the humor is based on the interaction of five-and-half-year-old Dennis Mitchell with his parents, neighbors and various friends. Dennis is a combination of good intentions, misdirected helpfulness and exuberant energy, which never fails to provide an entertaining mixture of merriment.

I was never much of a Dennis reader, but if you were, here ya go.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

IZUNA (DLX HC)

Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writers: BRUNO LETIZIA, SAVERIO TENUTA

Art/Cover: CARITA LUPATTELLI

Mature/$29.95

Since the dawn of time, the spirits of nature created the Kamigakushi, a magical veil the hid them from the impure eyes of man. The Izuna wolves were entrusted as guardians of this invisible boundary against the evil spirits known as the Noggo. But the mysterious birth of a wolf cub in the shape of a young girl threatens to upset the delicate balance between the two worlds and plunge both sides into chaos.

I pulled this for comment a couple of days ago, and as is happening too much now, forgot why I did so. Nice cover, though.

KINGDOM BUM #1(of 4)

Writers: ADAM WOLLET, RICK MARSHALL

Art: JON REED (pencils and inks), JEN HICKMAN (colors), ADAM WOLLET (letters).

Cover: JON REED

Variant (limited to 1,500): FRANCESCA CIREGIA

32 pgs./ Mature Readers / FC / $3.99 (reg.) / $4.99 (Var.)

It’s Game of Thrones with cardboard homes as this wild new series brings an inner city’s hidden world to life in contemporary fantasy style! First Coast City's homeless suffer under the thumb of tyrant, Philip the Ax. As the seeds for a violent coup begin to sprout, it falls to benevolent vagabond Simon to try to stave off war and bring peace back to the alleys.

You know, I feel nothing about the homeless but pity. I can't get into this. Maybe you can, but it's not my cup of tea.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

NIGHT AND THE ENEMY (GN)

Publisher: DOVER PUBLICATIONS

Writer: HARLAN ELLISON

Art/Cover: KEN STEACY

$12.95

These five Earth-Kyba stories by legendary science-fiction master Harlan Ellison, winner of multiple Hugo, Nebula, and Edgar awards, have been specially adapted and fully illustrated in vibrant color by artist Ken Steacy. Unavailable for nearly three decades, this tale of the Earth's war with an alien race features a clever framing device specially written by Ellison that links the individual stories. Also includes Ellison's short story "The Few, the Proud," new Introductions by the creators, and six pages of new artwork.

I have a vague memory of this, so it must have been published when I was a lad. I don't remember if I liked it, but I probably didn't, because it took me a while to appreciate Steacy's blocky, geometric art style. I might like it now, though.

NINJAK #10

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by MATT KINDT

Art by DOUG BRAITHWAITE with JUAN JOSE RYP

Cover A (Glow-in-the-Dark) by DOUG BRAITHWAITE

Cover B (Glow-in-the-Dark) by TOM MULLER

Cover C (Glow-in-the-Dark) by TREVOR HAIRSINE

Character Design Variant by TREVOR HAIRSINE

Variant Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

$3.99 | 40 pgs. | T+

ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT! A SPECIAL FOUR-ISSUE EVENT! “OPERATION: DEADSIDE” STARTS HERE!

Valiant is proud to debut the first issue of OPERATION: DEADSIDE – a terrifying in-series event beginning in NINJAK #10 from New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (DIVINITY) and superstar artist Doug Braithwaite (ARMOR HUNTERS)! On December 9th, jump on board one of Valiant's most acclaimed series here as Ninjak descends into an unknown and uncharted plane of existence to recover a lost MI-6 expedition team … only to find himself face-to-face with the mysterious hero called Shadowman!

In 2015, a covert military intelligence unit sent a team of 20 agents and one special operative into a parallel dimension. Only one came back.

The purpose of their mission was classified. Now, out of options, MI-6 has recruited their most elite operative – codname: Ninjak – to follow the doomed mission’s sole witness – the mysterious occult specialist Punk Mambo – back into the dimension called Deadside … and bring her missing teammates home.

What will they find there? And who will be waiting for them?

Also, Valiant has revealed the much-anticipated new design for Shadowman – the fallen hero at the epicenter of MI-6's lost expedition into Deadside - by fan-favorite artist Clayton Henry (HARBINGER WARS). Unseen for more than a year, OPERATION: DEADSIDE will be the first step towards Shadowman's long-awaited return to the Valiant Universe…but also presents a new series of challenges for the wayward guardian once tasked with protecting humanity from the horrors of Deadside's nightmare realm.

"Over the past year, Matt has built an intrigue-laden master plan for Ninjak, and many of the threads he's set up – the secret of Ninjak's training, the revelation of the Shadow Seven's identities, and the fallout of 'THE SHADOW WARS' – will converge in 'OPERATION: DEADSIDE,'" said Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons. "At the heart of it, 'OPERATION: DEADSIDE' is the story of a mission gone horribly wrong and what happens when someone who under any other circumstances would be considered a master of his element finds himself washed up – figuratively and literally – in a new environment that quickly outmatches the abilities of his mind and body. This is a tale of survival…and Ninjak is going to have to adapt quickly to what Deadside has in store to discover what secrets it has been hiding all along."

"OPERATION: DEADSIDE is the first installment of an epic plan for Shadowman that we've been crafting behind the scenes for more than a year, and Matt Kindt and Doug Braithwaite have built one hell of a story to do it justice," said Valiant Publisher Fred Pierce. "But it isn't a horror story per se. In the vein of the best sci-fi action blockbusters like Aliens and The Abyss, OPERATION: DEADSIDE is an intense tale of humans pushed to the limits against an unimaginable foe at the edge of existence itself."

"I’ve been excited to bring Shadowman back for a while. … He’s got a pretty dark past and some murky motivations that help him live up to his name," said "OPERATION: DEADSIDE" writer Matt Kindt told Entertainment Weekly. "As a writer, it’s some pretty juicy stuff to sink your teeth into. I also think that reader anticipation and curiosity over the character is another thing that really makes him attractive… So picking up a character like that and catching up with where he is and what he’s done since is going to be pretty dark...and pretty fun."

"We're incredibly excited to be bringing Shadowman back to the forefront and thrilled to be doing it with Matt, Doug and Ninjak," said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. "The fans have been screaming for Shadowman to return. The last time they saw him we left them with an emotional cliffhanger. We've been slowly laying the seeds for his big return and I can't think of a cooler, more exciting way to reveal what he's been up to."

Featuring glow-in-the-dark shelf shelf covers on each issue of the four-part storyline, OPERATION: DEADSIDE begins in NINJAK #10 with covers by all-star artists Doug Braithwaite (ARMOR HUNTERS), Tom Muller (Wolf), Trevor Hairsine (DIVINITY), and Dave Johnson (100 Bullets)! Don't miss a moment of 2015's milestone turning point for the Valiant Universe as master storytellers Matt Kindt and Doug Braithwaite bring Shadowman roaring back from the darkness – and into the crosshairs of MI-6′s deadliest master assassin – only in OPERATION: DEADSIDE!

NINJAK #10 has been made fully returnable for all accounts and will now feature an upgraded, high-quality cover stock in lieu of the previously solicited glow-in-the-dark cover treatment.

"Valiant's number one priority is the quality of our content and this is one rare instance where the manufacturing process was unable to satisfactorily capture what we had envisioned," said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. "Many fans, retailers, creators, and Valiant staff alike were looking forward to "OPERATION: DEADSIDE"'s glow-in-the-dark covers – a first in Valiant history. Unfortunately, the samples just didn't live up to expectations and, rather than release something that fell beneath our standard of quality, we're upgrading the covers all around to give fans an equally weighty and every bit as exciting reading experience come December."

Plus: also beginning in the 40-page first issue of "OPERATION: DEADSIDE", Matt Kindt begins an all-new chapter of NINJAK's never-before-told origin in "THE LOST FILES", featuring explosive artwork by Juan José Ryp (Clone)! And don't miss all of the GLOW-IN-THE-DARK shelf covers for "OPERATION: DEADSIDE" from artists Doug Braithwaite, Tom Muller, and Trevor Hairsine – on shelves everywhere for the first chapter of Valiant's next can't-miss milestone, only in NINJAK #10!

I had to write together, like, six press releases above. Valiant's pretty proud of this one. And it reboots Shadowman and Deadside, so it might have long-lasting consequences.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

In

PHANTOM #5

Publisher: HERMES PRESS

Writer: PETER DAVID

Art/Cover: SAL VELLUTO

$3.99

Set in the post-WWII era and featuring the original cast of The Phantom, this new adventure pits "The Ghost Who Walks" against classic villains! The all-new adventures of the original Phantom continue with this mini-series written by Peter David with art by Sal Velluto, as The Phantom is lead into the mysterious lost city in chains with its king ready to execute him... and its queen harboring far worse intentions!

It's been so long since the last issue, I thought it was canceled!

POET ANDERSON: THE DREAM WALKER DELUXE HARDCOVER COLLECTED EDITION ART BOOK

Publisher: MAGNETIC PRESS INC.

Writers: TOM DELONGE, BEN KULL

Art: DJET STEPHANE & VARIOUS

Cover: GUSTAVO MENDONCA

Concept Design and Original Artwork from: SERGIO & EDGAR MARTINS, GUS MENDONCA, MIKE HENRY, JARED PURRINGTON, GERALD PAREL, FRANCISCO RUIZ VELASCO, DJET & BENGAL

Includes New CD from Angels & Airwaves

Magnetic Press is pleased to announce, in collaboration with To The Stars, a very special hardcover, Collected Edition Art Book for Poet Anderson: The Dream Walker. This gorgeous hardcover collects the entire Poet Anderson comic book series from the vibrantly creative mind of Angels & Airwaves and Blink-182 frontman TOM DELONGE, co-written by screen writer extraordinaire BEN KULL and illustrated by French illustration virtuoso DJET.

Also included in this edition is a special, limited first edition pressing of the instrumental Poet Anderson album, Dream Walker, by rock giants Angels & Airwaves.

Simultaneously a graphic novel and art book, this edition also compiles the original, never before seen Poet Anderson Universe concept designs, as well as original Poet artwork from a murderers row of the industry's most talented artists. All of this stunning artwork is presented against a backdrop of an extensive, 12 page interview with Tom Delonge.

More than just a prequel to the film and novel trilogy, the Poet Anderson graphic novel is his must-read origin story. Here is where we meet the Dream World, where this universe's deep mythology begins to unfold, and here is where Poet's long and vibrant journey begins. A journey that not everyone may survive ...

" ... Stunning, filled with a kinetic energy. ... A comic series to look out for." -- THE NERDIST

"Just visually amazing, completely beautiful. I came away wanting more right away." -- GRAPHIC POLICY

In the Dream World, power comes to those of its visitors who learn the ability to lucid dream, while Night Terrors hunt those dreamers who are troubled and helpless. A lucky few are watched over by mysterious guardians. The protectors of our shared unconcious lives are known as ... Dream Walkers.

Brothers Jonas and Alan Anderson have found a hidden method of mastering the art of lucid dreaming, allowing them to unlock a universe beyond our own. A tangible place filled with both the fantastic and the terrifying. There, the brothers are snagged in a mind-bending adventure that slowly reveals a vast and secret history that has cast them a very important role in the protection of the Waking World...

For more info, visit our Poet Anderson page here.

I'm not usually much of a fan of attempts to blend art and music, but it sure looks like they put a lot of sweat equity into this one. Even the PR shows effort, with a trailer and a lengthy preview. If you decide not to try it, it's not because Magnetic Press didn't try to sell you on it!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

THE PRECINCT #1 (of 5)

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: FRANK J. BARBIERE

Art: CRIZAM ZAMORA

Cover A: JOE BENITEZ

Page Count: 32 pages / Teen+ / $3.99

In the sprawling, steampunk metropolis of the big city, it's up to one group to keep the peace and uphold the law-the officers of The Precinct! Mortimer Hill is a veteran officer who has busted his fair share of criminals, but when mechanical monsters start causing trouble he'll need to use all his wits (and brawn!) to get to the heart of the mystery. Along with his new partner-a representative from the enigmatic Alchemy Academy-Mort will face the biggest case of his career-and the most dangerous! Join writer Frank J. Barbiere (Five Ghosts, The Howling Commandos of SHIELD, Avengers World) and Crizam Zamora (Swords of Sorrow: Black Sparrow & Lady Zorro) on an action-packed, steampunk adventure full of mystery and magic!

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce the upcoming December release of The Precinct #1, the first chapter in an all-new steampunk science fiction comic book series written by Frank J. Barbiere (Avengers World) and featuring interior artwork by Crizam Zamora (Vampirella: Prelude to Shadows).

"I'm really excited for readers to check out The Precinct," says writer Frank J. Barbiere. "This book is a really fun journey into some new genres for me (mainly mystery and detective stories), and with a gorgeous steampunk setting, it really stands out as something special. Mort and Jo, our protagonists, are fun characters with very unique world views. I can't wait for readers to see them clash and experience the steampunk secrets of The Big City for themselves!"

Dynamite will celebrate the debut of The Precinct with several cover options, allowing retailers and comic fans to satisfy their particular steampunk tastes. The acclaimed artist of Lady Mechanika, Joe Benitez, provides Cover A for the first issue, while Darick Robertson, the bestselling artist of The Boys, provides Cover B. A "Blank Authentix" edition will also be made available, featuring a blank cover perfect for aspiring artists or convention guests to design their own steampunk creations. Finally, Dynamite will create rare incentive variants and high-end collectible editions available through qualifying retailers: Black-and-White and Virgin Art editions by Darick Robertson, and a Virgin Art edition by Joe Benitez.

I started reading this the other night and decided I'd rather go to sleep. I think I've OD'd on steampunk.

SNOW (GN)

Publisher: BENJAMIN RIVERS INC.

Writer/Art/Cover: BENJAMIN RIVERS

Mature/$12.00

Snow is a Joe Shuster Award-nominated graphic novel about Dana, a serious young twenty-something dealing with serious changes to her downtown Toronto neighborhood. Its clean, black-and-white art highlights the book's dramatic story of personal growth and change, as Dana deals with both losing her job and her obsession with a local tragedy. This complete edition includes a glossy insert featuring stills from the prize-winning film adaptation, as well as bonus content to invite readers further into the (real life) world of Snow.

I have never seen this movie. When did it come out? Was it widely distributed?

And they're not shy about PR. The preview link below takes you to 36 pages!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

STREET FIGHTER™ UNLIMITED #1

Publisher: UDON ENTERTAINMENT INC

Writers: KEN SIU-CHONG, JIM ZUB

Art: JOE NG, EDWIN HUANG

Cover: GENZOMAN

$3.99

Street Fighter™ comics are back with STREET FIGHTER™ UNLIMITED , an all-new monthly comic series arriving in comic shops December 2015! Street Fighter™ Unlimited combines fighters from all eras of Street Fighter’s nearly 30-year history in a Canon Spiking, Sonic Booming, Hadoken-throwing martial arts melee!

The new monthly series will be helmed by returning Street Fighter scribe Ken Siu-chong (Street Fighter™ IV, Super Street Fighter™), while pencillers Joe Ng (Street Fighter™ Origins: Akuma) and Edwin Huang (Skullkickers) will trade off art chores tackling 4-issue story arcs. The story promises to be UDON’s most epic  yet as fan favorites Ryu, Chun-li, Guile, Ken, Alex, Cammy clash with not only the villainous Shadaloo organization, but also the invincible Gill and his cult-like Secret Society. It’s all leading up to a new Street Fighter Tournament featuring more World Warriors than ever before!

Also returning with the new monthly comics are UDON’s trademark 4-page bonus stories in every issue. These action-packed short stories will feature a rotating team of talented writers and artists such as Jim Zub(Wayward, Samurai Jack), Adam Warren(Empowered), Chris Sarracini (Street Fighter™ Origins: Akuma), Jeffrey “Chamba” Cruz (RandomVeus), Omar Dogan (Street Fighter™ Legends) and more!

As Capcom nears the release of the Playstation 4 exclusive Street Fighter™ V in 2016, fans can expect even more new Street Fighter comics to be announced. Stay tuned to UDONentertainment.com for more Street Fighter comic updates.

Street Fighter Unlimited #1 arrives in December 2015, and the series continues monthly through 2016. Media inquires and/or requests for review copies should be directed to press@udonentertainment.com.

Not my thing, but there are a lot of Street Fighter players out there. If you're one of them, you might want to check this out.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

UNITY #25

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by MATT KINDT, JAMES ASMUS, DONNY CATES, JUSTIN JORDAN, ELLIOTT KALAN, DANIEL KIBBLESMITH, MICHAEL KUPPERMAN, ELIOT RAHAL, TIM SIEDELL, TOM SCHARPLING, TY TEMPLETON, and MORE

Art by MATT KINDT, KANO, MICHAEL KUPPERMAN, PERE PEREZ, RAFER ROBERTS, TY TEMPLETON, and MORE

Cover A by KANO

Cover B by MATT KINDT

Cover C by FRED HEMBECK

Cover D by MICHAEL KUPPERMAN

$4.99 | 48 pgs. | T+

FINAL ISSUE HUMOR SPECTACULAR!

Valiant is proud to present  UNITY #25 – the super-sized final chapter for Valiant’s all-star team of heroes featuring X-O MANOWAR, ETERNAL WARRIOR, NINJAK and LIVEWIRE ... plus guest appearances from FAITH, DIVINITY, THE DEATH-DEFYING DR. MIRAGE, QUANTUM AND WOODY…and pretty much the whole darn Valiant Universe too!

On December 9th, get a ringside seat as New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt pulls double duty to write and illustrate a never-before-seen adventure capping off his acclaimed two-year run on Valiant's premier team of heroes … and then passes the reins over to a madcap cast of writers, artists, and humorists! Featuring stories and shorts by James Asmus (QUANTUM AND WOODY), Donny Cates & Eliot Rahal (The Paybacks), Elliott Kalan (The Daily Show), Kano (THE DELINQUENTS), Daniel Kibblesmith (The Late Show with Stephen Colbert), Michael Kupperman (Tales Designed to Thrizzle), Pere Perez (ARCHER & ARMSTRONG), Rafer Roberts (A&A), and Ty Templeton (Batman Adventures) – plus the comic book debut of comedian and radio host Tom Scharpling (The Best Show) – all hell is going to going break loose when UNITY #25 finally divulges the unusual, offbeat, and downright disturbing tales we promised to never tell!

Think Bloodshot only joined the team long enough to fight the Armor Hunters? WRONG! Discover his newly declassified Unity missions! You saw Faith help Unity fight their opposite counterparts, The United … now find out how else she assisted the team! Remember that time Quantum and Woody’s goat joined the most elite assemblage of heroes that the Valiant Universe has ever known? No? Well, it happened! Want to know where Unity’s stashed the team's personal vending machine? Uncover its secret location – and possibly a broom closet or two – as the cutaway map of GIN-GR the giant robot's classified interior is finally revealed!

Featuring a truly warped series of shelf covers by Valiant superstar Kano (THE DELINQUENTS), Matt Kindt (Mind MGMT), Fred Hembeck (Marvel Age), and Michael Kupperman (Tales Designed to Thrizzle), the greatest champions of the Valiant Universe are about to go head-to-head with a bleachers-busting line-up of pop culture's premiere comedy "minds" (ahem) right here, only in UNITY #25 – in stores December 9th!

I don't know why this book didn't sell -- I'm assuming that's why this is the last issue -- as team books generally do pretty well in the current market. But doing the last issue as a comedy anthology takes some guts, and shows Valiant doesn't take itself too seriously. Kudos!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

WALKING WOUNDED: UNCUT STORIES FROM IRAQ (HC)  

Publisher: NBM

Writer/Art/Cover: MEAL MOREL, OLIVIER MOREL

$24.99

For hundreds of thousands of young Americans, after the shock of 9/11, there was Ramadi, Baghdad, Abu Ghraib, Fallujah ... the war in Iraq. Then came the trauma. Olivier Morel gave them a voice in his compelling documentary On the Bridge. Walking Wounded is the story of Morel getting close to the young vets, their troubled experience and lives. So close he could not avoid living their trauma himself, seeing all too clearly their vision of the world after their gut-wrenching experiences. From torment to reflection, Morel and artist Mael relate through these vets the impossible return of those who do aspire vividly to get back to a normal life.

Graphic novels about war experiences have become a sort of cottage industry -- I've got three or four in my to-read pile that I probably won't get to for years. If I get this one, it will probably join the others. They all kinda read the same, you know?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW

ZOMBIE TRAMP VS VAMPBLADE #3

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writers: JASON MARTIN, DAN MENDOZA

Art: WINSTON YOUNG

Cover: WINSTON YOUNG (Regular)

Risque variant cover (limited to 2000): WINSTON YOUNG

32 pgs./ Mature Readers/ FC / $3.99 / $4.99 Variant

This is it, the '90s comic book bad girl brought to life and the supernaturally powered zombie queen go toe to toe one last time. With Zombie tramp mastering Vampblade’s mystical blade to help destroy her sworn enemies, the disgusting other dimensional parasites, the two must now conquer an even deadlier challenge … friendship?!?

This book has been delayed for months and months. Don't know why.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• God, I started reading Planetes years ago. I remember liking it OK, but it fell victim to the common syndrome in those days of the next volume being impossible to find.

• When I looked up Snow on IMDB it found a RomCom and a movie about the Bosnian war.

• https://storage.ning.com/topology/rest/1.0/file/get/1801602460?profile=original

Captain Comics said:

I appreciate the callback to 1970s Justice League of America with the vignettes running down both sides of the cover.

I dug this cover so much I had my LCS hold the poster of this cover for me whenever decided to take it down. I got it on Saturday. As a bonus I also got a Chris Samnee Daredevil poster as well.

This reply was deleted.