Comics Guide for Feb. 26, 2014

Welcome back, Legionnaires, for another exciting episode of "Comics Guide!"

Let's try a  couple of different things this week.

One, I'm going to go with plain, old bold with my comments, instead of the bold blue I have used to date. For one thing, I have to remember the XHTML code for the blue when I use it in the Comment area -- which is the bulk of the list! Irritating. Secondly, it comes across in large amounts -- at least to me -- as "dazzling" (to use a design term), and a little circus-y.

Two, instead of collating the solicitation material for The Captain's Picks, let's just chat about the books here, but leave the material where it is. That will have the benefits of 1) making The Captain's Picks more concise, 2) differentiating The Captain's Picks from the solicitation material, and 3) leaving the publisher lists comprehensive instead of swiss-cheesed.

Now, given that I will be sort-of columnizing in this space, and not really picking the best books of the week, I'll probably need to re-name "The Captain's Picks." Maybe "The Dillio This Week" or "Best and Worst" or "This Is the Week That is." Or maybe just "Captain Comics Sez." Any ideas, Legionnaires?

Anyway let's give it a try:

THE CAPTAIN’S PICKS

POWERPUFF GIRLS #6

What do y'all think of the cover at right? Go ahead and click on it, I'll wait. 

Did you think "nice cover"? Or did you react -- as I did -- by thinking: "Yikes! That is NOT how I want to think about the Powerpuff Girls!"

Of course, it's to be expected that *I* would have that reaction, because I Am Old. But as Bleeding Cool reports, lots of people had that reaction. One retailer, Dennis L. Barger, posted the image on Facebook, complaining, "Are we seriously sexualizing pre-teen girls like perverted writing fan fiction writers on the internet???? is that what this sh*t has gotten to? DISGUSTED"

Well! That sure got a lot of attention, including that of IDW's Vice President of Marketing, Dirk Woods, who posted a response on Barger's timeline, essentially blaming it all on Cartoon Network:

"Hey Dennis et al – That was actually a Cartoon Network mandated cover, by an artist of their choosing. I think they were thinking of it more along the lines of 'female empowerment' than the kind of thing you guys are talking about, but certainly, we’re sensitive to the issues here. We love making comics for kids, and always want them to be appropriate. For what it’s worth, CN has been a great partner in that regard… I know an 8 year old and 10 year old really well, and always look at these kinds of things through their eyes… Half of the employees have kids here, and we pride ourselves in making comics they’ll enjoy and not give them a warped view of the world (except, you know, in a good way). Anyway, I certainly see your points, and we’ll be sensitive to these things, as I think we mostly have been."

Now, there ain't no flies on Cartoon Network. Quicker than you can say "Powerpuff Girls Z!" they spiked the cover (as explained on ICv2.com). Then they issued a press release:

"In conjunction with our licensing partners, Cartoon Network Enterprises from time to time works with the artist community to reimagine and reinterpret our brands using their talents and unique points of view.  This particular variant cover for The Powerpuff Girls #6 from IDW was done in the artist’s signature style and was intended to be released as a collectible item for comic book fans.  We recognize some fans’ reaction to the cover and, as such, will no longer be releasing it at comic book shops."

So there ya go. Enjoy the cover above, because that's the only place you'll ever see it ... outside of a bajillion websites from now until the universe dies of heat death.

TOMB RAIDER #1

OK, I'm going to display some ignorance here: I don't know much about Tomb Raider. I know that it was a popular video game a few years back, but I'm no gamer, and all I gleaned from the media coverage was that the protagonist, Lara Croft, did Indiana Jones sorts of things -- the premise of the game -- and had really large breasts. I don't mean to be crass by mentioning the latter, but apparently that was a huge selling point. (Or two huge selling points. OK, now I am being crass.)

I also missed the movie. And all I know about that is the print ad that ran everywhere with an impressively proportioned Angelina Jolie. Again, female pulchritude seemed to be the selling point.

So here's my question: Is there a character there? A personality? Is Gail Simone -- a writer I greatly respect -- starting from scratch here, or does she have a character concept to work with? Is there really a "Lara Croft" behind the good looks?

Whatever Lara’s Croft previous characterization – if any – I trust Simone to do a bang-up job.  Her track record on books like Suicide Squad and Batgirl have earned her the benefit of the doubt for me. So the new book should be good. I'm just wondering how big a lift this is.

SUPERMAN: LOIS LANE #1

I was really appalled by Lois' introduction in The New 52. Whatever changes she's gone through in the past, one thing has remained constant: She's a competent and admired journalist. But in The New 52's early Superman, she violated ethics -- not just rules -- to achieve her aims, and was rewarded for it. That showed a poor understanding of not only journalism but of Lois Lane, and I was bitterly disappointed.

Also, Lois' father Gen. Sam Lane has always been a bit unpleasant -- a martinet, a bully, that sort of thing -- but in The New 52 he's downright despicable. And he's a criminal, despite using his military rank as a shield. That's a bit of a jolt.

Perhaps this book will fix some of that. If nothing else, I hope it does no harm.

T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS VOL 1 (TPB)

I loved, loved, loved T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents in the 1960s. I loved spy stuff, like James Bond and Man from U.N.C.L.E.; I loved superheroes; and I loved anything drawn by Wally Wood. So T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents was a dream come true ... even when it was clumsy or awful, which it often was.

A childhood love like that can last a lifetime, and so it has come to pass that I've read and collected every iteration of the Agents, from every publisher that's tried them (which is a lot of them). Some attempts have been good, many pretty bad. But I can't stop now!

So, naturally, I read T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents Volume 1 the minute a review copy was available. Since it was a review copy, unfortunately, I'm barred from actually reviewing it until the embargo is up later in the week. But I'll say this: I enjoyed it. And I recommend it.

Is that because I love, love, love the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents, or because it's really that good? Well, you'll have to try it for yourself, won't you?

FANTASTIC FOUR #1

Oh, here we go, another Fantastic Four #1. I don't understand Marvel's mania for rebooting its titles every year or two, but it's annoying. What is this, the fourth or fifth Fantastic Four #1? Makes collecting difficult, too.

But OK, that's just window dressing. What about content? Will it be any good?

I have to say that Magic 8-Ball says "signs aren't good." The first storyline is apparently going to be "The End of the Fantastic Four," with the team splitting up and going its separate ways. And you know, that was a pretty good story -- the first 300 times it was done. Honestly, has anyone, of any age, NOT read a "Fantastic Four break up" story? And according to solicitations, the Human Torch will lose his powers early on. Didn't the last "Fantastic Four break up" story have Johnny Storm "dead" for a while? That was only a couple of years ago, and the memory is still fresh. Too fresh for this concept to be exciting.

OK, that's the bad news. The good news is that the series is by James Robinson (Starman, Golden Age), with art by Leonard Kirk (Supergirl, Midnight Nation), which is pretty stellar. And as we like to say around here, it's not the concept, it's the execution. If anybody can breathe life into this tired idea, it's Robinson. And even if he doesn't, Kirk will make it look good.

OK, that's enough from me. On with this week's books!

ACTION LAB

Action Lab finally released some books this week after weeks and weeks of nuttin'. The books below, for example, were solicited for January! I'm only noting that for the record, though, and not complaining: I know that launching a funnybook firm is hard. As all Legionnaires know, the field is littered with failed companies that should have made it but didn't. I'm actually impressed with Action Lab's accomplishments, up to and including sailing over the high bar Diamond sets to distribute books. Anyway, here ya go:

FRACTURE VOL 2 # 3 (of 4)

Writer: SHAWN GABBORIN

Art: CHAD CICCONI

Colors: BILL BLANKENSHIP

Cover: CHAD CICCONI, BILL BLANKENSHIP (Double Jumpers)

1 in 5 Variant: JOHN "SUPER UGLY" WILLIAMS

1 in 5 Variant: BILL BLANKENSHIP

32 pages/Rated PG/$2.99

In this penultimate issue of FRACTURE volume 2, the path of Virtue takes unexpected turns, and the troubles of Jeff and his alter-egos ensnare unintended victims. Jeff seeks help yet again from the dubious Doctor Atomic, and an electrifying secret is revealed!

JACK HAMMER #2 (of 4)

Writer: BRANDON BARROWS

Art: IONIC

Cover: IONIC

1 in 5 variant Variant: BRETT WELDELE (The Surrogates)

1 in 5 “Ugly Love” Variant; JOHN "SUPER UGLY" WILLIAMS

32 pages/All Ages/$2.99

Private investigator Jack McGriskin is a magnet for trouble -- and this time it’s a doozy. Businessman Eddie Newman is dead and Jack has suspects, but can he make the charges stick? And more importantly, can be live long enough to? Stalked by a super-powered killer, Jack’s time is running out!

PIRATE EYE VOL1 (TPB)

Writer: JOSIAH GRAHN

Art/Cover: CARL YONDER

128 pages/ Rated PG $11.99

Once a pirate with a keen eye for finding wealth in unlikely places, Smitty now lives exiled from the sea. Landlocked, he has carved out a new niche as a "finder," a man who, for a price, will utilize the same skills that served him as a treasure-hunting scoundrel to unearth any item, person or secret. As his reputation and caseload swell, Smitty must contend with the gangster who all but rules his new hometown, a dangerous collection of local brigands and politicians, and the pall of threats from old enemies.

Through it all his focus on what he values most -- his own success -- never wavers. Though his circumstances have changed, in his chest still beats the heart of a pirate!

Collects the first four issues of the quarterly Pirate Eye comic. An all-new cover!

PRINCELESS ENCORE EDITION # 4 (of 4)

Writer: JEREMY WHITLEY

Art: M. GOODWIN

Cover: M. GOODWIN

1 in 5 Variant: JOHN "SUPER UGLY" WILLIAMS

32 pages/All Ages/$2.99

Be there for the epic conclusion of the first Princeless story! Adrienne and Bedelia are in deep trouble with the city guards, but they're not about to back down! Fisticuffs will be had! Hijinks will ensue! Stereotypes will be challenged! Princeless!

ARCHIE COMICS

BETTY & VERONICA DOUBLE DIGEST #221

Script: BILL GOLLIHER

Art: FERNANDO RUIZ, RUDY LAPICK, BILL YOSHIDA, BARRY GROSSMAN

Cover: JEFF SHULTZ, BOB SMITH, ROSARIO "TITO" PENA

160-page, full color comic, $3.99

Betty and Veronica are always in competition with one another—but that gets kicked into high gear when the two enter the Miss Riverdale Teen Contest! But there’s another contestant that really steams things up. Enter: Cheryl Blossom! May the best woman win in “She’s a Beauty”!

JUGHEAD DOUBLE DOUBLE DIGEST $200

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS PUBLICATIONS

Script: CRAIG BOLDMAN

Art:REX LINDSEY, JIM AMASH, JACK MORELLI, BARRY GROSSMAN

Cover: REX LINDSEY, ROSARIO "TITO" PENA

320-page, full color comics, $5.99 U.S.

Celebrate 200 issues with this extra special double DOUBLE digest! While vacationing at an exclusive ski resort, Mr. Lodge confesses that he’s made a “checkout” list of things to do before he, well, “checks out.” Archie and Jughead take that one step further and make a list of things they plan to do before they literally check out of the resort! Leave it to Reggie to raise the stakes and make their challenges even more interesting. Find out how much they can accomplish in “The Jughead List”! Features a 200th milestone 5th color cover!

LIFE WITH ARCHIE #34

Script: PAUL KUPPERBERG

Art: FERNANDO RUIZ, PAT KENNEDY, TIM KENNEDY, BOB SMITH, JIM AMASH, JACK MORELLI, GLENN WHITMORE

Cover: FERNANDO RUIZ, ROSARIO "TITO" PENA

Riverdale Confidential Variant: ROBERT HACK

32-page, full color comic, $2.99 U.S.

Archie Marries Veronica -- “Up in the Air!”: Archie and Veronica are doing their best to not let the tumultuous events of their lives effect the love they have for one another. And they’re doing pretty well, too, but is love enough to keep their legal battles at bay? Speaking of love and battles, Jughead and Ethel have some planning to do … but hopefully their stubbornness won’t get in the way! And Kevin’s trying his best to not let people’s perceptions of him effect his Senate job, perhaps some encouraging words is all he needs. And Clay’s back to work -- but things still seem new and strange. Could it just be his imagination?

Archie Marries Betty -- “Not So Great Expectations!”: Archie’s finally had enough of Betty’s busy schedule -- and he’s not the only one! Will all of her hard work have paid off or has it only made matters worse? And who is it Archie’s really mad at -- Betty for neglecting him? Or himself for being selfish and feeling guilty? Meanwhile, Kevin dives head first into the investigation on the nearby mall shooting after discovering that the tragedy hit closer to home than he ever could have imagined. And Jughead’s waiting on bated breath as Midge’s due date draws closer and closer. Oh baby, things are crazy in Riverdale!

I find it remarkable that this far into, essentially, a story gimmick has maintained my interest for so long. I've never been much of a fan of Paul Kupperberg's work before, but he has sustained an impressive level of quality here.

SONIC SUPER SPECIAL #10

Script: IAN FLYNN

Art: JENNIFER HERNANDEZ, RICK BRYANT, JACK  MORELLI, DUSTIN EVANS

Cover art provided by SEGA

128-page, full color comic, $9.99 US.

Dash along with Sonic on another all-new story featuring the world of the hit SEGA iOS game: SONIC DASH! The SONIC SUPER SPECIAL MAGAZINE gives you the world of Sonic the Hedgehog comics as you've never seen it before, with tons of comic stories, special features and exclusive articles on the latest and greatest in the world of everyone's favorite blue hedgehog-hero! This issue also features a special spotlight on SHADOW THE HEDGEHOG, and what place he and Team Dark have in the NEW Sonic comic universe! All this plus all of the extra features you love, and interview with Sonic colorist Steve Downer AND a super special shiny foil-enhanced cover!

DARK HORSE

ANGEL & FAITH VOLUME 5: WHAT YOU WANT, NOT WHAT YOU NEED (TPB)

Writer: CHRISTOS GAGE

Art: REBEKAH ISAACS

Color: DAN JACKSON

Cover: STEVE MORRIS

FC, 136 pages, $17.99, TP, 7’’ x 10’’

Angel’s quest to restore Giles’s life has entered its last stage. As he and Faith prepare to carry out their task and resurrect an old friend, Season 9’s Big Bads enter the last phase of their own plan to restore balance to earth.

Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: if Gage and Isaacs work on a comic together, I’ll buy it, no questions asked. As always, good times.” -- Comic Book Resources

BREATH OF BONES: A TALE OF THE GOLEM (HC)

Writers: STEVE NILES, MATT SANTORO

Art/Cover: DAVE WACHTER

B&W, 80 pages, $14.99, 8" x 12"

A British plane crashes in a Jewish village, sparking a Nazi invasion. Using clay and mud from the river, the villagers bring to life a giant monster to battle for their freedom and future. Collects the entire miniseries.

• 2012 Russ Manning Award nominee Dave Wachter!

• From the creator of 30 Days of Night and Criminal Macabre!

• Steve Niles’s Breath of Bones has been called one of 2013’s best series!

“Everything Steve Niles touches is magic. Breath of Bones is a wonderful and emotional story.” -- Comic Book Therapy

CAPTAIN MIDNIGHT #8

Writer: JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art: FERNANDO DAGNINO

Colorist: EGO

Cover: FELIPE MASSAFERA

FC, 32 pages, Ongoing, $2.99

On a mission to catch up with his future, Captain Midnight reunites with his long-lost love to learn how his hardware has made it into so many enemy hands. Revealing her own hunt for the Nazi Fury Shark, Cap’s old sweetheart turns his world upside down when she discloses the fate of his best friend!

• Written by Joshua Williamson (Ghosted, Masks and Mobsters, Uncharted)!

“Fernando Dagnino nails the action. His art is kinetic and exciting.” -- IGN

THE CHRONICLES OF KING CONAN VOLUME 7: DAY OF WRATH AND OTHER STORIES (TPB)

Writer: DON KRAAR

Pencillers: MIKE DOCHERTY, JUDITH HUNT

Inkers: GEOF ISHERWOOD, VINCE COLLETTA, ART NICHOLS

Color: GEORGE ROUSSOS

Cover: MICHAEL KALUTA

FC, 208 pages, $19.99, TP, 7” x 10”

While Conan’s army is defeating the Picts, an enemy alliance assails Conan’s crown city. His depleted legions have no chance against these new adversaries, but a pact with his homeland is possible . . . if Conan can defeat the fearsome Cimmerian chieftain in a battle to the death!

• New editions of long out-of-print Conan titles from Marvel Comics!

• See new King Conan comics from Dark Horse!

CREEPY COMICS VOL 3: THE LURKING FATE (TPB)

Writer: Various

Artist: Various

B&W, 184 pages; TP, 7½ x 10½, $19.99

Creepy Comics packs multiple dark dimensions of horror into one convenient, cadaverous collection!

This latest volume of the abominable anthology features over a dozen new terror tales, including Uncle Creepy's instantly classic Lovecraft, romance and unlucky #13 specials! Our contemptible contributors include, J. Torres, Amy Reeder, Jo'lle Jones, Peter Bagge, Dan Braun and many more! Don't miss out on a single panel of the frightening fun! Collects Creepy Comics #10-13 and stories from Creepy Comics #8-9.

* Chillers from Richard Corben, John Arcudi, Gilbert Hernandez, Darick Robertson, Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook, plus art by Mike Mignola, Stan Sakai and Matt Wagner!

I wonder how Richard Corben feels about contributing to Creepy ... again!

FURIOUS #2 (of 5)

Writer: BRYAN J.L. GLASS

Art/Cover: VICTOR SANTOS

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

The media can’t get enough of the high-flying supercelebrity known as Furious! But the authorities are convinced she’s a danger and a menace—they’ve had more than enough of the privileged vigilante! Stuck in the crosshairs of her past, Furious must balance her desire for justice with her quest for redemption.

• Writer Bryan J.L. Glass and artist Victor Santos join forces once again for a creator-owned superhero series!

• From the artist of Polar!

HALO: ESCALATION #3

Writer: CHRIS SCHLERF

Penciller: SERGIO ARINO

Inker: JUAN CASTRO

Colors: MICHAEL ATIYEH

Cover: ANTHONY PALUMBO

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Ongoing

Commander Palmer confronts the traitor who has betrayed her team, as the Covenant closes in on their position. With time running out, Lasky is forced to make a costly sacrifice to save the peace delegation from the impending attack.

• An essential addition to the Halo canon!

• The Halo franchise has sales eclipsing $3 billion over its lifetime!

• From Chris Schlerf, lead writer of Halo 4!

“Atiyeh’s colors ...  make the action pop off the page.” -- Comic Book Therapy

THE INCREDIBLE ADVENTURES OF DOG MENDONCA AND PIZZABOY VOLUME 2: APOCALYPSE (TPB)

Writer: FELIPE MELO

Art/Cover: JUAN CAVIO

Colors: SANTIAGO VILLA

FC, 160 pages, $14.99, TP, 6’’ x 9’’

“There’s real wit on every page.” -- George A. Romero

A middle-aged werewolf, a six-thousand-year-old demon, a nervous gargoyle, and an out-of-work pizza delivery boy take a stand against the four horsemen of the apocalypse! A humor-filled romp through Judgment Day, this edition includes a foreword by director George A. Romero, a special “making of” section, and all Dog Mendonça stories from the Eisner Award–winning DHP anthology!

• Includes all Dark Horse Presents stories!

Foreword by legendary filmmaker George A. Romero!

KING CONAN: THE CONQUEROR #1 (of 6)

Writer: TIMOTHY TRUMAN

Art/Cover: TOMAS GIORELLO

Colors: JOSE VILLARRUBIA

FC, 32 pages, $3.50, Miniseries

In the port city of Messantia, the deposed, fugitive Conan could uncover the key to regaining his throne -- or he could get a knife in the back! Conan follows a lead to a lost relic, revisits an old friend, and finds that he’s not alone in his risky hunt for a missing, magical gem.

• Continuing the acclaimed Hour of the Dragon adaptation!

• “Truman, Giorello, and Villarrubia ... have created possibly the best Conan adaptation ever made.” -- Comics Bulletin

MASS EFFECT: FOUNDATION #8

Writer: MAC WALTERS

Art: TONY PARKER

Colors: MICHAEL ATIYEH

Cover: BENJAMIN CARRE

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Ongoing

DEATH FROM THE SHADOWS

Disgraced after the failure of her most recent mission, Cerberus agent Rasa receives a chance at redemption from the Illusive Man. But is it absolution she will find at the hands of the assassin Thane Krios -- or damnation?

• Written by Mac Walters, lead writer of Mass Effect 2 and 3!

• Ties directly into Mass Effect 2!

“Another great addition to the lore of Mass Effect.” -- EGM Now

THE MASSIVE #20

Writer: BRIAN WOOD

Art: GARRY BROWN

Colors: JORDIE BELLAIRE

Cover: J.P. LEON

FC, 32 pages, $3.50, Ongoing

On the run from Arkady and the Russian hacker Yusup, Cal weaves his way through a crumbling Europe, through riots and crackdowns and widespread social unrest. With little more than a vague memory as a trigger, he starts to put together the mystery of the missing Massive ... and perhaps the Crash itself.

“Brian Wood’s The Massive proves that there’s room for political comics.” -- Complex

“Much like DMZ, the glimpses of savagery [in The Massive] are unsettling because this world isn’t as divorced from ours as we’d like it to be.” -- IGN

MIND MGMT #19

Writer/Art/Cover: MATT KINDT

FC, 24 pages, $3.99, Ongoing

The second half of Matt Kindt’s MIND MGMT epic begins with just as many questions as the first! Meru is back on the team, but can she ever trust Lyme again? What role did the Magician play in the Management in the 1960s through the 1980s? And what is the secret of the seven Immortals?

• New story arc!

• Don’t miss the prologue in Dark Horse Presents #31!

“This is why I read comics.” -- Weekly Comic Book Review

PARIAH #1 (of 8)

Writers: ARON WARNER, PHILLIP GELATT

Art/Cover: BRETT WELDELE

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

Trapped in space, the genetically engineered geniuses known as “vitros” must band together and create a plan to get back to Earth before their failing satellite turns into a deathtrap!

• Created by Academy Award–winning producer Aron Warner (Shrek).

• Art by Eisner-nominated painter Brett Weldele (The Surrogates).

• Written by Philip Gelatt (Petrograd).

SERENITY: LEAVES ON THE WIND #2 (of 6)

Writer: ZACK WHEDON

Penciller/Variant: GEORGES JEANTY

Inker: KARL STORY

Colors: LAURA MARTIN

Cover: DAN DOS SANTOS

FC, 32 pages, $3.50, Miniseries

Forced out of hiding, Serenity’s crew gets separated, and it becomes clear that everyone looking for the outlaws is on the verge of finding them. River offers to uncover the secrets that are hidden within her in the hope that the crew might have something to bargain with.

• Buffy’s Season 8 and 9 artist conquers the galaxy!

• Zack Whedon returns to Serenity!

• The story finally continues after the film!

• Executive producer: Joss Whedon!

STAR WARS: LEGACY #12

Writer: CORINNA BECHKO

Writer/Art: GABRIEL HARDMAN

Colors: JORDAN BOYD

Cover: AGUSTIN ALESSIO

FC, 32 pages, $2.99, Ongoing

Ania Solo: junk dealer, adventurer ... murderer?

A meeting with an old friend lands Ania Solo in handcuffs! Now that she’s a wanted criminal, even her pals Sauk and Imperial Knight Jao are wary of her. Held captive by one bounty hunter and pursued by another, Ania is one blaster shot away from a life sentence—or death!

• Ania’s past is revealed ... or is it?

“Grab your lightsaber and your blaster, kids, it’s time to go Sith hunting.” -- Unleash the FanboyTOMB RAIDER #1

Writer: GAIL SIMONE

Penciller: NICOLIS DANIEL SELMA

Inker: JUAN GEDEON

Colorist: MICHAEL ATIYEH

Cover: DAN DOS SANTOS

FC, 32 pages; Ongoing, $3.50

Superstar writer Gail Simone picks up Lara Croft's story where the smash hit Tomb Raider game left off, in a new ongoing comics series!

Following the game acclaimed for its bold and sophisticated new vision, this series launches Lara Croft on the formative adventures that will change her life forever!

* The official continuation of Lara Croft's story!

* The 2013 video game sold over 3.5 million copies!

"Tomb Raider is the quintessential example of a reboot done right." -- Gaming Trend
Click here to preview

VANDROID #1 (of 5)

Writers: TOMMY LEE EDWARDS, NOAH SMITH

Art: DAN MCDAID

Colors: MELISSA EDWARDS

Cover: TOMMY LEE EDWARDS

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

JUSTICE IN THE FRONT, VENGEANCE IN THE BACK!

When Palm Springs Entertainment studios burned to the ground in 1984, the most definitive motion picture of a generation was lost before its time. Thirty years later, the extraordinary talents of Tommy Lee Edwards, Noah Smith, and Dan McDaid unite to resurrect this lost epic.

• Complete the Vandroid experience with the remastered soundtrack from Ed Banger Records and the unearthed 1984 movie trailer at Vandroid.com!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• DC COMICS

100 BULLETS: BROTHER LONO #8

1936219604?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art: EDUARDO RISSO

Cover: DAVE JOHNSON

32 pg, FC, 8 of 8, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

The series that IGN calls “brutal comic-book magic” wraps up with this final jaw-dropping issue. Will Lono’s fate finally be decided? Whatever happens, you won’t want to miss the way this unmatched team executes the mind-blowing conclusion. 

This "monthly" miniseries took considerably longer than eight months to complete, but here it is at its end, finally. I'm no Brother Lobo fan, but for those of you who are, I know you're happy to finish the story, and I'm happy for you.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #10

1936221697?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: JOSH ELDER, DEREK FRIDOLFS

Art: VICTOR IBANEZ, SEAN “CHEEKS” GALLOWAY

Cover: SEAN “CHEEKS” GALLOWAY

40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

In “Dear Superman,” Superman’s #1 fan watches from afar as the Last Son of Krypton battles an upgraded Metallo in the streets of Metropolis! And “In Care of,” illustrated by Sean “Cheeks” Galloway, introduces a young boy who needs Superman’s help to defeat a monster!

For those of us of a certain age, I suppose this will always be the "real" Superman.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180ALL-STAR WESTERN #28

1936223997?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JUSTIN GRAY, JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art: MORITAT

Cover: DARWYN COOKE

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T+

Old West meets modern medicine! Are Hex’s scars healed? Trapped in a future he’s still coming to grips with, Jonah Hex confronts his own history as he uncovers a museum dedicated to the scarred bounty hunter’s days in the Old West.

Whoa!

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180AQUAMAN #28

1936224088?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JEFF PARKER

Art/Cover: PAUL PELLETIER, SEAN PARSONS

1:25 Steampunk variant cover by RICHARD HORIE

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

This issue will ship with two covers.

He’s saved a diver from a vicious shark attack – but he’ll soon regret it. His most powerful weapon has been stolen from his care – and he’s never even heard of the man who took it. But Aquaman’s greatest challenge yet may be Amnesty Bay’s 10-year high school reunion!

Did Aquaman go to school on the surface? I always got the impression he was sorta home-schooled and didn't mix much with surface kids.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180BATMAN/SUPERMAN #8

1936226090?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: GREG PAK

Art/Cover: KENNETH ROCAFORT

1:25 Steampunk Variant Cover: TOMMY LEE EDWARDS

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • Combo pack edition: $4.99 US

This issue will ship with three covers.

The Worlds’ Finest teams of two worlds meet at last in chapter 1 of “First Contact”! With Power Girl’s abilities on the fritz, see what happens when her long-lost cousin Superman approaches her! And a major threat returns in a way you won’t believe! Continues in this month’s WORLDS’ FINEST #8.

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

I'm delighted to see this meeting finally happening. I never really swallowed Power Girl and Huntress avoiding Superman and Batman, our Earth's equivalent of their mentors. All they'd have to do is read a newspaper to know that our versions are just as heroic as their versions, and further, they -- and the Justice League -- are the girls' best hope for getting home. What was the point -- aside from writer fiat -- of the Worlds' Finest team avoiding the World's Finest team? (As if they plausibly could!)

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #28

1936226312?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: GREGG HURWITZ

Art/Cover: ETHAN VAN SCIVER

Part one of a two-part story detailing the complex history of Dr. Kirk Langstrom, a.k.a. Man-Bat! How does Man-Bat’s past connect to Batman’s future?

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180BEWARE THE BATMAN #5

1936226330?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MIKE W. BARR

Art/Cover: DARIO BRIZUELA

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

When a Katana copycat kills a member of the mob, the real Katana enlists Batman’s help to clear her name and find out the true identity of the assassin -- someone from her own past!

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180CATWOMAN #28

1936228096?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ANN NOCENTI

Art: PATRICK OLLIFFE

Cover: TERRY DODSON, RACHEL DODSON

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Welcome to Gothtopia! Die happy! As Catbird carries on the fight for justice even without the help of her beloved Batman, she finds herself facing a great mystery: Who is Catwoman?

Despite the Event Fatigue we all share, I'm enjoying "Gothtopia." And part of that enjoyment, perversely, is knowing that it will end soon. A quick, clever story utilizing the rich Bat-tapestry, instead of a long-drawn-out affair, is kinda old-fashioned -- and very welcome.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS VOL. 3: BLACK LIGHTNING AND BLUE DEVIL (TPB)

1936230245?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: MARC ANDREYKO, JOE KEATINGE

Art: ROBSON ROCHA, EDUARDO PANSICA, FEDERICO DALLOCCHIO, RICKEN and others 

Cover: RYAN SOOK

160 pg, FC, $14.99 US

Two very different heroes must solve a mystery that could unlock a new corner of The New 52 in this tale from DCU PRESENTS #13-19. But mobster Tobias Whale makes a deal with the demon Nebiros that pits the heroes against the damned souls of Los Angeles. Plus: tales of Starfire and Arsenal!

What a weird combo. Aside from giving us "black and blue" jokes, these two characters have no conceptual reason to share a reprint book.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180DC UNIVERSE VS. THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #5

1936230370?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: KEITH GIFFEN, TONY BEDARD

Art: DEXTER SOY

Cover: BERNARD CHANG

32 pg, FC, 5 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T

With the fate of the earth in the balance, it’s the final showdown between the DC heroes and the Masters of the Universe! Plus, Teela and John Constantine travel to a dark realm to rescue Superman and find the secret of reversing the enchantment that holds Earth’s champions under its spell.

Loooong delayed.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEAD BOY DETECTIVES #3

1936232242?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: MARK BUCKINGHAM, TOBY LITT

Art: MARK BUCKINGHAM, GARY ERSKINE

Cover: MARK BUCKINGHAM

Dead British schoolboys Charles and Edwin finally locate their old bones, but what secrets do they hold? New detective Crystal is the only one who can find out by way of her major tech skills. But it might involve a trip inside a computer game called Yonda, where all is not as bright and colorful as it seems.

Enjoying this.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE FLASH #28

1936232459?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art: PATRICK ZIRCHER

Cover: PASQUAL FERRY

1:25 Steampunk Variant Cover: HOWARD CHAYKIN

The Flash and Deadman team up to stop The Miner -- by killing him?

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180FOREVER EVIL: A.R.G.U.S. #5

1936234319?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: STERLING GATES

Art: NEIL EDWARDS, JASON PAZ, JAY LEISTEN

Cover: HOWARD PORTER

1:25 B&W Variant Cover: HOWARD PORTER

32 pg, 5 of 6, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

A.R.G.U.S. leader Colonel Steve Trevor has struck a deadly alliance with Killer Frost in order to find Wonder Woman’s lost lasso! Only one problem: the lasso is in the hands of the deadly Cheetah, who doesn’t mind soaking it in Trevor’s blood!

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #28

1936236379?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: J.M. DeMATTEIS

Art/Cover: MIKEL JANIN

1:25 Steampunk Variant Cover: TOMMY LEE EDWARDS

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

“FOREVER EVIL: BLIGHT” continues! What has The Crime Syndicate done to the world’s most powerful mystics – and what is Project Thaumaton? The world continues to grow darker before the dawn and Constantine will be forced to do the unthinkable!

This really is the best JL book currently.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180LARFLEEZE #8

1936238556?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: KEITH GIFFEN, J.M. DeMATTEIS

Art: SCOTT KOLINS

Cover: TYLER KIRKHAM

Larfleeze has more than he knows what to do with -- especially cosmic entities that want to kill him! But Larfleeze will brave it all if it means getting more, and getting his “butler,” Stargrave, back!

I'm really surprised this book has lasted so long. I may have to try a trade!

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? #42

1936238576?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: GEORGIA BAL

Art/Cover: SCOTT JERALD

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

Is the Lady in Pink haunting Pollard House the ghost of Sarah Pollard herself, or the kindly cookie-baking housekeeper? Mystery Inc. and a reality TV crew have competing theories, but Shaggy and Scooby are sticking around for the baked goods!

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERMAN #28

1936240631?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: SCOTT LOBDELL

Art/Cover: ED BENES

1:25 Steampunk Variant Cover: JEFF WAMESTER

A mysterious and powerful figure seeks The Man of Steel to join her against a threat coming to Earth. Plus: Sam Lane ascends to power, which makes him an even more formidable opponent for Superman.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERMAN: LOIS LANE #1

1936240857?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art: EMANUELLA LUPACCHINO

Cover: KENNETH ROCAFORT

One-shot • 48 pg, FC, $4.99 US • RATED T

Lois Lane is known for chasing down stories -- but what happens when the story is her family? As her father gains more power in the government, Lois’s sister Lucy has become involved with a deadly drug scene! Meanwhile, Lois thought she was rid of the influence of Brainiac, but now she finds that the the computer tyrant of Colu is calling out to her again!

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180TALON #16

1936243265?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: TIM SEELEY

Art: JORGE LUCAS

Cover: EMANUEL SIMEONI

Calvin Rose must find a Lazarus Pit to bring himself back from the dead. But first he must fight another undead villain with the same notions: Lord Death Man!

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180TEEN TITANS #28

1936243338?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: SCOTT LOBDELL

Art: TYLER KIRKHAM, ART THIBERT

Cover: BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND

1:25 Steampunk Variant Cover: JASON PEARSON

Kid Flash’s true history and motivations are revealed as he goes to war with his former teammates in the future he plans to rule.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180THRESHOLD VOL. 1: THE HUNTED (TPB)

1936243401?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: KEITH GIFFEN

Art: SCOTT KOLINS, TOM RANEY, PHIL WINSLADE and others

Cover: HOWARD PORTER

304 pg, FC, $19.99 US

Jediah Caul, a disgraced Green Lantern stripped of his power ring, is hunted for sport on a televised reality show! Forced to battle aliens from across the galaxy, Caul must assemble his own group of rebels to storm the metaphorical castle of their abductors before the game ends and they lose. Collecting THRESHOLD #1-8 and GREEN LANTERN: NEW GUARDIANS ANNUAL #1!

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNKNOWN SOLDIER (NEW EDITION TPB)

1936243594?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: by GARTH ENNIS

Art: KILIAN PLUNKETT

Cover: TIM BRADSTREET

112 pg, FC, $14.99 US • MATURE READERS

In this new edition of the classic spy thriller by writer Garth Ennis, maverick CIA agent William Clyde searches for the legendary patriot known only as the Unknown Soldier. As Clyde uncovers a tangled web of decades-old conspiracies and corruption, he learns that there can be dire consequences for unyielding commitment to duty. Collecting the 1997 four-issue miniseries.

I remember this as an interesting series that seemed to be setting up a new series that never happened. (We got the Joshua Dysart-written, Africa-set Unknown Soldier instead.) It's by Ennis, so it's a good read.

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE WAKE #6

1936244127?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: by SCOTT SNYDER

Art: SEAN MURPHY

Cover: ANDREW ROBINSON

32 pg, FC, 6 of 10, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

“My name is Leeward, and this is where my story begins ...”

Our story jumps two hundred years into a flooded future where nothing is the same. The second half of THE WAKE starts here!

1801249027?profile=RESIZE_180x180WORLDS’ FINEST #20

1936246446?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: PAUL LEVITZ

Art: R.B. SILVA, JOE WEEMS

Cover: EMANUALA LUPACCHINO

Power Girl and Huntress come face to face with the Superman and Batman of the DC Universe for the first time in chapter 2 of “First Contact”! Continues in next month’s BATMAN/SUPERMAN #9!

Now I see why this normally reliable series was delayed from earlier this month. It had to wait for Batman/Superman #8 -- a notoriously UNreliable series -- to appear (above).

• DYNAMIC FORCES

ARMY OF DARKNESS VS HACK SLASH #6

1936224098?profile=original1936224229?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: TIM SEELEY

Art: DANIEL LEISTER

Cover: STEFANO CASELLI

Variant Cover A: TIM SEELEY

Variant Cover B: BEN TEMPLESMITH

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

FINAL ISSUE!!! Cassie and Ash have managed to work together for a whole 5 issues, but now the former partners are at odds, in a war through time for possession of the Necronomicon!

1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE BLACK BAT #9

1936224409?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936226448?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936228380?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art: RONAN CLIQUET

Covers: JAE LEE

Subscription Variant Cover: BILLY TAN

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

To save Carol Baldwin's life, the Black Bat must do the unthinkable and break his most hated enemy out of prison. But will doing so cement his status as an outlaw? Also, the police start to lose their grip on the city as vigilantism takes hold with disastrous results.

1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180CRYPTOZOIC MAN #4 (OF 4)

1936230997?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: WALTER FLANAGAN, BRYAN JOHNSON

Script: BRYAN JOHNSON

Art: WALTER FLANAGAN

Cover: WALTER FLANAGAN, WAYNE JANSEN

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

FINAL ISSUE!!! The piglets have come home to roost! Any and all questions you may have had about Gray aliens, legendary cryptids, forty-story tall demon swine, and insane, sadomasochistic industrialists are answered in this bang-up conclusion to Cryptozoic Man.

1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180DAMSELS #13

1936231139?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: LEAH MOORE, JOHN REPPION

Art/Cover: ANEKE

Not Rated/32 pages/$3.99

King Beaumont and King Persine struggle onward towards the fallen kingdom of Caumont, but are waylaid by a band of outlaws led by a rogue called Robyn. Red and Talia have made it to the sea, and a handy fishing vessel speeds them to Perrault. It all seems like plain sailing, but can it really be that easy? Having watched Sne?ana be stolen away, Ash and Tommelise are at a loss. How will they find her? Will Heinrich help them, or will he go in search of Rapa?

This book was originally solicited for Oct. 16. I can't imagine why publishers allow this sort of thing, and if the creators are responsible, why they'd do this to themselves. This sort of exaggerated lateness is bound to cripple sales, and it doesn't give the title a fighting chance to build an audience. 'Tis a puzzlement.

1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEJAH THORIS & GREEN MEN OF MARS #11

1936231271?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936233190?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936233242?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MARK RAHNER

Art: JETHRO MORALES

Cover: JAY ANACLETO

Mature/32 pages/$3.99

The penultimate issue of the hit miniseries that was extended twice! Dejah Thoris is under cover as a slave girl with her Dirty Half-Dozen Thark force to destroy a powerful weapon. But can she trust them to destroy it and not her? Or does she want to die?

This product is not authorized by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.

I had to laugh when I saw that the second cover takes the tiny pasties of Dejah Thoris' nipples for a cover that must be censored. Honestly, there's not a whole lot left to the imagination before those little metal bits come off!

1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180DOC SAVAGE #3

1936233488?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936233661?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936235637?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CHRIS ROBERSON

Art: BILQUIS EVELY

Cover: ALEX ROSS

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

It is 1961, and Doc Savage's team of aides includes old veterans who have been with him from the beginning, and young newcomers who are experts in the frontiers of science and invention. Doc is about to unveil his greatest discovery, one which could change the course of history and improve the lives of everyone on Earth. But a madman with an atomic bomb has other plans ...

I've always felt The Shadow and Doc Savage both work best in the era in which they were created. This series is updating Doc, but hedging its bets by only going halfway from the '30s to the present. I'll be interested to see if it works.

1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180LEGENDS OF RED SONJA #4 (OF 5)

1936237806?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936238031?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: GAIL SIMONE, MARJORIE LIU, MERCEDES LACKEY

Art: JACK JADSON, PHIL NOTO, NEI RUFFINO

Cover: JAY ANACLETO

Subscription Variant Cover: FRANK THORNE

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

The all-star celebration of Red Sonja's 40th anniversary continues, as legendary fantasy novelist Mercedes (Valdemar) Lackey tells her first comics story of a child's encounter with the She-Devil, and how it changed them both forever with artist Nei Ruffino! And fan-favorite Marvel Comics writer and novelist Marjorie M. Liu teams with the amazing Phil Noto for a sexy, scary tale of the forest at night! All wrapped in a story by Gail Simone and Jack Jadson!

I'm impressed that the three writers on this book are not only all excellent, but all female.

1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE LONE RANGER #22

1936240367?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ANDE PARKS

Artist: ESTEVE POLLS

Covers: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

Rainmaker! Nothing was more deadly in the hard life of Old West pioneers than drought. The Lone Ranger and Tonto find themselves embroiled in a violent standoff between the farmers and Native Americans after a con man passing himself off as a shaman promises rain and fails to deliver. How much will The Ranger sacrifice to prevent a bloodbath? Another action-packed single-issue story featuring the West's most iconic heroes.

1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROBOTECH/VOLTRON #2 (OF 5)

1936242963?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: TOMMY YUNE

Art: ELMER DAMASO

Cover: TOMMY YUNE

Teen + / 32 pages / $3.99

Part 2 of 5. The spectacular mecha-crossover continues as Earth and the distant world of Arus are profoundly altered by a mysterious rift in the very fabric of time and space. However, these events were set into motion a generation ago. King Alfor makes a daring endeavor at great personal cost to save the people of Arus, including his young daughter Allura, from a future of enslavement, with or without Voltron. On Earth, Roy must once again face the consequences of personal tragedy and broken promises, and a secretly reconstructed robotic lion may be part of the answer!

1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY VOL. 1: SEASON OF HUNGRY GHOSTS (TPB)

1936243132?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ANDY DIGGLE

Artists: AARIB CAMPBELL

Cover: SEAN PHILLIPS

Teen +/160+ pages/ $19.99

Weaver has six billion skill sets ... but only one last chance! Born with an uncanny ability, he can steal other people's memories, abilities, and expertise for a limited time. A man with a power like that could change the world, but as a professional gambler, con-man, and thief-for-hire, Weaver prefers to look out for Number One. That is, until he finds himself drawn into a dangerous game of international intrigue where the rules keep changing, the players are hidden, and the first thing he stands to lose is his life. And maybe, just maybe, he isn't so unique after all. Collects the complete storyline from issues #1-6 of the regular monthly Uncanny comic book series.

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180IDW PUBLICATIONS

Much to my delight, I now have access to IDW's variant covers. So you'll see lots of that!

I also now have access to previews, but they are PDFs (not sure how to format them to work on this site) and are embargoed until the Tuesday before each New Comics Wednesday (and the Guide posts on Sunday). So I'm afraid you won't be seeing much of that.

GHOSTBUSTERS #13

1936243415?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936243532?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936245896?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936248226?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ERIK BURNHAM

Art: DAN SCHOENING

Cover: SCHOENING, ROBERTo GOIRIZ

Variant Cover: RYAN LEE, featuring The Ghostbusters, The New Ghostbusters and the Rookie

Subscription Variant Cover: TRISTAN JONES, featuring the Real Ghostbusters in ghost-busting action!

32 pages • $3.99

Lucky issue 13 is here, and with it, the first installment of the eight-part event that will shake the boys and girls in grey to their core! Gozer the Gozerian, the Destructor, was once drawn to Manhattan, but could not complete his work. That's the good news. The bad news is that he isn't the only god who has taken notice of Earth ... MASS HYSTERIA and our 30th anniversary tribute to the Ghostbusters begins here!

First issue of the Ghostbusters 30th Anniversary 8-issue maxi-event! “MASS HYSTERIA!”
    Event will feature fan-favorite characters from 30 years of GB lore, including the two classic movies, the action-packed video games, and the smash-hit IDW comic book series!

Dogs and cats … living together?! “MASS HYSTERIA” is here!

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180JUDGE DREDD #16

1936250478?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936252364?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI

Art : NELSON DANIEL

Cover: BRENDAN McCARTHY

Variant Cover: INAKI MIRANDA

32 pages • $3.99

Twelve street judges have been slaughtered by a masked maniac with a dimension-jump machine. He has the thirteenth in his gun sights right now, and the only Judge who can stop the killer -- Dredd -- is a billion miles away. But it’s not so much the number of dead judges in the morgue. It’s what’s going to happen to their bodies very, very soon …

Issues 13-16 feature special homage covers by Brendan McCarthy. Here, Judge Dredd a la Carmine Infantino!

Obviously, the cover on the left is an homage to the 1960s Carmine Infantino image that was never a cover, but is nevertheless pretty famous:

1936254418?profile=original1801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• MY LITTLE PONY: FRIENDS FOREVER #2

1936228440?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936230630?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936232864?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936233517?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936236446?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JEREMY WHITLEY

Art: TONY FLEECS

Cover: AMY MEBBERSON

Variant Cover:TONY FLEECS

Variant Cover: LEA HERNANDEZ

32 pages • $3.99

The Cutie Mark Crusaders have done everything they can think of to get their cutie marks. But there’s one creature of chaos who might have some ideas they would never think of … Discord! When our pint-sized heroines start working with the unpredictable trickster, the results are bound to get unusual! Will Ponyville be able to survive their friendship?

The first comic story featuring fan-favorite character DISCORD!

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180POWERPUFF GIRLS #6

1936236964?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936238986?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer/Art/Cover: TROY LITTLE

Variant Cover: MIMI YOON

32 pages • $3.99

Cower in fear citizens of Townsville, for I, MOJO JOJO have RETURNED! Not even your Previews solicitation is safe from my influence, for I am all-powerful and supremely cunning. You have been chosen to bare witness to the ultimate destruction of Townsville - for such is my plan to demolish this wretched city once and for all, along with those annoying Powerpuff Girls! Then NO ONE will be able to stop MOJO JOJO from RULING THE WORLD!! MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Final issue of the first story arc!1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAMURAI JACK #5

1936241478?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936243746?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JIM ZUB

Art/Cover: ANDY SURIANO

Variant: GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY

32 pages • $3.99

Martial artists, warriors, nobles, monsters and more ... Samurai Jack has defeated them all in his quest to gather the Threads of Time. Now, one last strand remains in the lair of Aku the demon wizard. Can Jack defeat his greatest foe and return back to the past?

IDW’s first Samurai Jack story arc wraps up!

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAMURAI JACK SPECIAL: DIRECTOR'S CUT

1936244367?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: GENNDY TARTAKOVSKY

Art: LYNN NAYLOR, BILL WRAY

Cover: BILL WRAY

64 pages • $7.99

BACK TO THE PAST! As the evil demon Aku takes over the ancient world, the fate of the world rests in the hands of a noble samurai warrior. But when Aku blasts him into the future (a future ruled by the shapeshifting demon), Samurai Jack must find a way to return and right the wrongs of the past! This special Director’s Cut reprints the classic adaptation of the first three episodes of Samurai Jack, along with bonus pages and commentary from creator Genndy Tartakovsky and artist Bill Wray!

With a brand-new cover by Bill Wray!

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180STAR TREK: KHAN #5 (of 5)

1936244423?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936246785?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MIKE JOHNSON

Art: DAVID MESSINA

Cover: PAUL SHIPPER

Variant: Photo

32 pages • $3.99

Final issue!

It's the climactic chapter of the origin of STAR TREK’s greatest villain! But how did he come to be called "John Harrison"? How did his vendetta against Admiral Marcus and Section 31 begin? All is revealed in this all-new story overseen by STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS writer/producer Roberto Orci!

I still don't find Benedict Cumberbatch sufficiently menacing to be the infamous Khan Noonien Singh. It's like -- oh, I dunno -- picking Julian McMahon to play Dr. Doom.

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180STAR TREK #30

1936248737?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936250804?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MIKE JOHNSON

Art: YASMIN LIANG

Cover: CAT STAGGS

Variant: Photo

32 pages • $3.99

Captain Jane Kirk and the crew of the Enterprise fight for their lives in this concluding chapter of a 2-part story overseen by STAR TREK writer/producer Roberto Orci! The Five Year Mission between blockbuster movies continues here, in this all-new mind-bending adventure!

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS #6

1936252660?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936255233?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: PHIL HESTER

Art/Cover: ROGER ROBINSON

Variant Cover: ANDREW CURRIE

32 pages • $3.99

A now-powerless Dynamo is at the mercy of the mysterious Dr. Sparta somewhere in South America. When NoMan, Lug and Weed set out to rescue him, they find themselves caught in a brutal civil war, but just which side is Dr. Sparta on? Also, Kat Kane discovers the true nature of the Judgment Towers, will her sanity be the price of knowledge?

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180T.H.U.N.D.E.R. AGENTS VOL 1 (TPB)

1936257182?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: PHIL HESTER

Art: ANDREA DI VITO

Cover: JERRY ORDWAY

TPB • FC • $17.99 • 104 pages

The T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents are dead, or will soon be, unless new recruit Dynamo can master the incredible but lethal power of the Thunderbelt in time to rescue his teammates from the mysterious Iron Maiden. The timeless heroes return to comics with a vengeance in this blistering new series from writer Phil Hester and artist Andrea Di Vito.

Collects issues #1–4 of the new series.

Looking at this cover, is there any doubt that Jerry Ordway is the natural heir to Wally Wood on this series? What a darn shame he isn't doing the interiors. I guess IDW doesn't pay as well as DC.

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180TMNT NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES #8

1936259442?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936259730?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: KENNY BYERLY

Art/Cover: DARIO BRIZUELA

$3.99

It's monkey vs. rat as Monkey Brains squares off against the Rat King! The former colleagues have gone through big changes since they last met, but bad blood remains! With the Turtles caught in the middle, the action is bound to get hairy!

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #31

1936261574?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936263745?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936265919?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: TOM WALTZ, KEVIN EASTMAN

Art: ROSS CAMPBELL

Cover: ROSS CAMPBELL, KEVIN EASTMAN

Variant: J.K. WOODWARD

32 pages • $3.99

While strategically secluded in Northampton, the Turtles are hit by new revelations involving enemies’ shifting loyalties, miracle cures, and ghosts from the past. And in the present, grave danger is about to strike! What new Foot Clan menace is hunting the Turtles?

The first appearance of a mysterious new mutant1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: UTROM EMPIRE #2 (of 3)

1936268107?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936268256?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: PAUL ALLOR

Art/Cover: ANDY KUHN

Variant: NICK PITARRA

32 pages • $3.99

The Fugitoid is faced with an impossible choice, and the fate of more than one species may rest in his hands! As a deadly storm envelops Burnow Island, Baxter Stockman kicks his scheme into high gear. Is Krang ready to pay the ultimate price for his people?

A dramatic issue that will have a big impact on the ongoing TMNT title!

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRANSFORMERS REGENERATION ONE #99

1936272338?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936272582?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936275136?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: SIMON FURMAN

Art: GUIDO GUIDI

Cover: ANDREW WILDMAN, GUIDO GUIDI

Variant Cover: GEOFF SENIOR

32 pages • $3.99

THE WAR TO END ALL WARS! Can the Autobots prevail against JHIAXUS’ New Cybertronian Empire? The disastrous invasion ends in dramatic and shocking fashion with twists, shocks and surprises galore, and STARSCREAM right in the thick of things. Dark forces are stirring for the final chapter of the original TRANSFORMERS epic!

The COUNTDOWN to the concluding #100 continues -- only 1 issue remains!

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180WRAITH: WELCOME TO CHRISTMASLAND #4 (of 7)

1936277565?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936279651?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JOE HILL

Art/Cover: CHARLES P. WILSON III

Variant Cover: GABRIEL RODRIGUEZ

32 pages • $3.99

Spinning out of the NY Times Bestselling novel NOS4A2

Written by NOS4A2 author/Locke & Key scribe Joe Hill!

Chapter Four: "Fastball." The calliope plays a lunatic waltz; the rides run at breakneck speeds; Christmasland is open for business and Charlie's children are closing in on Chess Llewelyn and Agnes Claiborne. Dark magic waits around every corner ... but just maybe Chess has a trick of his own up his sleeve.

1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE X-FILES: CONSPIRACY: TRANSFORMERS

1936281785?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936282410?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936284388?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: PAUL CRILLEY

Art: DHEERAJ VERMA

Variant Cover: JOE CORRONEY

Variant Cover: DHEERAJ VERMA

32 pages • $3.99

The Lone Gunmen’s trail of secrets leads them to evidence of extraterrestrial life -- mechanical extraterrestrial life! Will OPTIMUS PRIME and his allies trust these human interlopers -- and what secret conspiracy could involve CYBERTRON, anyway?!

Here's one of the crossovers you were waiting for, Horn'd One!

ZOMBIES VS. ROBOTS: NO MAN'S LAND (TPB)

1936286389?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: CHRIS RYALL, JONATHAN McGORAN, JOHM SKIPP, CODY GOODFELLOW, MARK MORRIS, HANK SCHWAEBLE, STEPHEN DEDMAN, STEPHEN GRAHAM JONES, BOBBY NASH

Art/Cover: FABIO LISTRANI

TPB • B&W • $19.99 • 264 pages • 6” x 9”

The fifth book in IDW’s shambling series of original Zombies vs Robots prose collections. Fully illustrated by the fantabulous Fabio Listrani, this new anthology features fresh tales of rotting flesh and rusting metal. IDW further expands the apocalyptic hellscape of its unique signature franchise. A world where brain-eaters roam and warbots rule is truly a NO MAN’S LAND.

• IMAGE COMICS

Man, I am diggin' all these previews. Or have I mentioned that?

ARTIFACTS #35

1936230847?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: HANNIBAL TABU

Art/Cover: NELSON BLAKE II

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.99

TOP COW’S THIRD 2012 TALENT HUNT-WINNING WRITER DEBUTS!

Mercenary Michael Finnegan just can’t catch a break. Whether he is running guns or stealing mystical Artifacts for hire, all of his clients seem to double-cross him in the end ... especially when he is paid to face-off against Ember Stone bearer Glorianna Silver!

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936232831?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936234657?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936234777?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936236771?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936239006?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936239123?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936241217?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180BLACK SCIENCE #4

1936243526?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: RICK REMENDER

Art/Cover: MATTEO SCALERA & DEAN WHITE

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

Grant McKay and his team of Dimensionauts are given a short reprieve when the Pillar drops them not into a hellish warzone or an alien swampland but a … hotel? Just don’t trust the room service; there’s more to this place than meets the eye.

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936243933?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936244809?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936247530?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936249740?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936251574?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936251687?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE BOUNCE #10

1936251731?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JOE CASEY

Art/Cover: DAVID MESSINA

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

THE TIME HAS COME, BOUNCE FANS!

Jasper Jenkins can't hide anymore! The truth is out there -- and the Darling might be the only one who knows what it all means! This is the issue you dare not miss!1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936253796?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936255827?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936255969?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936256026?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936257880?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936258048?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936260318?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHEW #40

1936262469?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JOHN LAYMAN

Art/Cover: ROB GUILLORY

“FAMILY RECIPES,” Conclusion

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936264432?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936266601?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936268880?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936270982?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936271220?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936273133?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DEAD BODY ROAD #3

1936273357?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JUSTIN JORDAN

Art/Cover: MATTEO SCALERA & MORENO DINISIO

Orson Gage is no good man ... but Mr. Cobb and his unique interrogation tactics are even worse. Why is he pursuing Gage? And just how do you remove blood from a motel carpet?1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936275467?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936277553?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936277656?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936279842?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936282048?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEADLY CLASS #1 (2ND PRINTING)

1936284051?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: RICK REMENDER

Art/Cover: WESLEY CRAIG, LEE LOUGHRIDGE

Fans of Rick Remender (BLACK SCIENCE, Uncanny Avengers) and Wes Craig are clamoring to snap up the last of DEADLY CLASS #1, which has sold out instantly and is already being declared a hit by readers and critics alike.

The hotly anticipated new series follows a group of teens in 1980s San Francisco who are training to be assassins in the most brutal high school on Earth. Here, the world’s top crime families send the next generation of killers to be trained. Murder is an art. Killing is a craft. At Kings Dominion High School for the Deadly Arts, the dagger in your back isn’t always metaphorical, nor is your fellow classmates' poison.

Early praise for DEADLY CLASS:

“First issues, much like pilot episodes, are riddled with obstacles for creative teams to overcome. Deadly Class jumps every hurdle, and clocking in at 36 pages, is a lengthy introduction to what promises to be an brilliant and engaging story.” -- Lindsey Morris, Newsarama

Deadly Class is one kick-ass comic book. Amazing art, lettering, coloring and story. This is the whole package, folks.” -- Benjamin Bailey, IGN

“We've been waiting for Rick Remender and Wes Craig's DEADLY CLASS for months and it was absolutely worth the wait. ... We're almost getting spoiled here with the story and art. Don't miss out on this new series. You'll definitely regret it if you do.” -- Tony Guerrero, Comic Vine

“It's not often that you see an action sequence commandeer a book for 11 pages (out of 36)... and the reader is left thrilled and off-balance in the best possible way.” -- Jason Tabrys, Den of Geek!

DEADLY CLASS #2

1936284367?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: RICK REMENDER

Art/Cover: WESLEY CRAIG, LEE LOUGHRIDGE

It's Marcus's first day at the Kings Dominion High School for the Deadly Arts. A locker full of death threats, a schedule full of brutality, and whispers in the hallway about his mysterious past ... which is fast catching up to cut out his freshly broken heart.1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936286304?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936288296?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936290183?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936292101?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936294041?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936294198?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180ELEPHANTMEN #54

1936296332?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: RICHARD STARKINGS

Art: AXEL MEDELLIN

Cover: TULA LOTAY, NEI RUFFINO

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

"PICKING UP THE PIECES," Part Four

Are Jack Farrell's hands blood red, or are there memories buried in his subconscious that throw his investigations into a whole new light?1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936296515?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936298400?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936300636?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936302557?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936304780?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936305038?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• FIVE WEAPONS #7

1936229954?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art/Cover: JIMMIE ROBINSON

32 PAGES / FC / T / $3.50

“BACK TO CLASS,” Part Two

The tables are turned on Enrique in a no-win contest at the school of Five Weapons. Tyler is now the smartest kid in school and he’s using Enrique as a pawn in his malicious plans, but Enrique learns an old secret that could tilt the rivalry in his favor.

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936232176?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936234101?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936236298?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936236474?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936238672?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936240663?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180INVINCIBLE, VOL. 19 (TPB)

1936240955?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: ROBERT KIRKMAN

Art/Cover: RYAN OTTLEY, CLIFF RATHBURN, JOHN RAUCH

144 PAGES / FC / T+ / $16.99

Collects INVINCIBLE #103-108

Angstrom Levy returns to take revenge on Invincible and all those he holds dear.

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS #18

Story: JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art: NICK PITARRA

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.50

“GAME THEORY”

The Manhattan Projects are in peril as the Great Game of the Infinite Oppenheimers is revealed.  

1936241166?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936243474?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936243609?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936243911?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936246062?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936248553?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180MICE TEMPLAR, VOLUME 4.1 (TPB)

1936250589?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: BRYAN J.L. GLASS, MICHAEL AVON OEMING

Art: MICHAEL AVON OEMING, VICTOR SANTOS

Cover: MICHAEL AVON OEMING

304 PAGES / FC / $17.99

Collects MICE TEMPLAR: LEGEND #1-8

“LEGEND PART ONE”

The Legend of Karic grows … but its legacy is both greater and darker than the noble young mouse it is said to embody. As every victory is turned against him, Karic confronts his own past and demands answers. And the mad king Icarus launches his great war against creation.

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180ONE HIT WONDER #1 (of 5)

1936252360?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: FABRICE SAPOLSKY

Art/Cover: ARIEL OLIVETTI

Richie Reese takes method acting to a deadly level. Richie shocks his fellow celebrities and industry schmoozers when he rises above his past as a child actor and becomes a hitman, and finds more success at knocking people dead than he ever did in front of a camera. ONE-HIT WONDER #1 is the opening salvo in a new crime comedy miniseries written by Fabrice Sapolsky (Spider-Man Noir) and drawn by Ariel Olivetti (Cable, Punisher War Journal, Conan). Sharp, funny, sexy, and violent like the best of Quentin Tarantino and Guy Ritchie's work, ONE-HIT WONDER is what happens when one man crosses the line between fiction and reality.

Richie is not your average actor and leads a double life. Sapolsky was inspired by real world Hollywood residents when writing the character. “[In Los Angeles] many people are actors trying to break in. It's not rare to go to a restaurant and have waiters and waitresses who are actors and that kinda play a role when they serve you,” explained Sapolsky. “The idea of an actor who goes to the dark side and really become a hitman started to grow in my mind.”

Despite constantly being in different locations (often different hemispheres) Sapolsky and Olivetti worked well as collaborators. “Ariel is the best, he's amazing and super-fast too. He understands immediately how to do justice to a script. His art is quite unique on the market, no one draws like he does,” said Sapolsky. “I'm incredibly lucky that he not only agreed to work with me but also that he liked and supported the project all along. I provided him full scripts, he'd send me quick sketches, we'd talk about it then he'd go straight to final pages. And you could imagine that not living in the same country would be a problem, but it has never been an issue for us. I wrote the series between Paris and New York and for both locations, the time difference with Buenos Aires isn't really a big issue.”

ONE-HIT WONDER is Sapolsky’s first creator-owned book and Olivetti’s first international creator-owned series. “Image is the place to be for creators," added Sapolsky. "It was our first and only choice for that book.”

I generally enjoy Olivetti's artwork, but I don't know anything about the writer. I'm going to have to sample this.

1936254438?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936254617?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936256591?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936257368?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936259781?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936260013?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180PETER PANZERFAUST, VOL. 3: CRY OF THE WOLF (TPB)

1936260232?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: KURTIS J. WIEBE

Art/Cover: TYLER JENKINS

136 PAGES / FC / T / $14.99

Collects PETER PANZERFAUST #11-15

Having faced the wrath of The Hook, Peter and the Lost Boys join forces with the Braves in guerilla warfare from their secret hideout in the Sticks. This time, Felix is the man with the memories, and as Mr. Parsons soon learns, he’s not eager to revisit that life.

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180RAT QUEENS #5

1936262392?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936264559?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: KURTIS J. WIEBE

Art: ROC UPCHURCH

Cover A: ROC UPCHURCH

Cover B: ROC UPCHURCH

"Gold, Guts and Grog," Part Five
    Well, Palisade has seen better days. It stinks like orc blood. There are bits of troll all over the place. Worst of all, the famous booze ship, Drowned Sorrows, sank to the bottom of the harbor in the attack. This era of Palisade will forever be known as THE DRY SPELL.

Enjoying this so far.1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936264584?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936264716?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936266767?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936269565?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936270170?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE REVENGER #1

1936272215?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JONATHAN ROSS

Art/Cover: IAN CHURCHILL

Griffin Franks was a joke in Hollywood. A washed up action-hero. Over the hill. Past it. A has-been. A barely-was. But now he IS The Revenger. He’s a star. His movie’s a hit. His latest wife is hot. He finally has everything he wants. Just in time for someone to take it all away. Forever. Starting with his face.

OK, those previews are kinda gross. Is this gonna be a torture porn series like Crossed?1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936272232?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936274387?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936276145?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936276221?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936278592?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936280770?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180SATELLITE SAM #6

1936283026?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MATT FRACTION

Art/Cover: HOWARD CHAYKIN

32 PAGES / BW / M / $3.50

VOLUME TWO of SATELLITE SAM starts HERE: The son of the slain star of SATELLITE SAM steps into his father’s shoes in more ways than one while falling into bed with any woman that’ll have him. One of the stars of the show with a dubious past finds herself in the media spotlight -- and trouble with the law. All while a sex and blackmail scandal threatens to envelop the show and the nascent LeMonde Television Network -- unless someone stands up and saves the day.

SEX! DEATH! LIVE TV! Brought to you by MATT FRACTION (SEX CRIMINALS, Hawkeye) and HOWARD CHAYKIN (BLACK KISS, CENTURY WEST).

It's been a looooong time since we've seen an issue of Satellite Sam, so I'm kinda relieved to see it. Maybe this'll jump-start the first Satellite Sam collection, which has been similarly delayed for months. Diamond currently has it listed for March 5, but that doesn't mean it will actually appear.

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936285435?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936287087?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936289254?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936290912?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936292980?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936293116?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180SEX #11

1936293129?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JOE CASEY

Art/Cover: PIOTR KOWALSKI

This issue, SEX goes even deeper than ever before! Simon Cooke faces his adulthood. Japanese businessmen get their freak on. Annabelle reprimands an employee. Then there's the battle cry heard throughout the underworld: "Breaks! Damn straight!" This one's a rub for the ages!1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936295126?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936297296?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936299096?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936299351?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936301558?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936303884?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180SEX CRIMINALS #3 (3RD PTG)

1936305964?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MATT FRACTION

Art/Cover: CHIP ZDARSKY

The third issue of Chip Zdarsky and Matt Fraction's SEX CRIMINALS, the critically-acclaimed Image Comics series that keeps flying off the shelves, has sold out instantly at the distributor level and will be going into a third printing.

"How do you spell 'success?" Why, 'S-E-X-C-E-S-S' of course! That's right! Throw out your fucking dictionaries cause they're garbage now! Everything is spelled differently now that SEX CRIMINALS is doing relatively well!” said Zdarsky. “Do you like to get to the point? You're SEXCINCT. Fancy travelling through space at the speed of light? How many parsecs will you go now that it's spelled PARSEX? Ugh, this is a horrible idea for a press release. Just cut it out."

SEX CRIMINALS launched on 9/25/2013 and shot to pull-list stardom quickly thereafter. Time magazine dubbed SEX CRIMINALS the #1 comic series of the year, Multiversity Comics named it Best New Series of 2013, ComicsAlliance recognized Chip Zdarsky as one of the Best Artists of 2013, and writer/actor Wil Wheaton calls it “one of the best things I’ve ever read, period.”

Is this an homage to a famous album cover or something? It looks familiar. I mentioned "album cover," not only for the similar B&W Beatles cover, but something about the bottom face says "Grace Slick." But it could be something else altogether.

• SHELTERED #7

1936216970?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ED BRISSON

Art/Cover: JOHNNIE CHRISTMAS

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

Curt shot first.1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936219206?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936219311?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936219417?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936219561?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936221878?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936224211?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPER DINOSAUR VOL 4 (TPB)

1936226326?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ROBERT KIRKMAN

Art/Cover: JASON HOWARD, CLIFF RATHBURN

128 PAGES / FC / E / $12.99

Collects SUPER DINOSAUR #18-23

Super Dinosaur and Derek Dynamo come face-to-face with a new threat unlike any they've faced before. Who is TYRANNOSAURUS X?! And where in the world is Derek’s mother?

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180THIEF OF THIEVES VOL 3 (TPB)

1936226567?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ROBERT KIRKMAN, ANDY DIGGLE

Art/Cover: SHAWN MARTINBROUGH, FELIX SERRANO

128 PAGES / FC / M / $14.99

Conrad Paulson lives a secret double life as master thief Redmond. There is nothing he can’t steal, nothing he can’t have ... except for the life he left behind. Now it’s go time for his Venice heist -- and THIEF OF THIEVES’ most EXPLOSIVE story arc yet!

Collects THIEF OF THIEVES #14-19

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180THREE #5

1936226732?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: KIERON GILLEN

Art/Cover: RYAN KELLY, JORDIE BELLAIRE

Historical consultant: PROF. STEPHEN HODKINSON

It comes down to this: three versus three hundred at the border of Sparta. The men who'd keep them slaves versus the three who would be free. The historical epic reaches its bloody denouement. The end of a story, the start of a legend.

I really, really love the historical authenticity. As have often been said, fiction can't top reality. More, please!1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936228491?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936230761?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936232726?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936232890?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936234750?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936236819?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180UMBRAL #4

1936236911?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ANTONY JOHNSTON

Art/Cover: CHRISTOPHER MITTEN

"AND BLACK WATERS REMAIN"

Rascal is trapped in the Umbral, Dalone is down and out, and a certain pirate ghost has vengeance on his mind!

THE PARANOID DARK FANTASY CONTINUES!1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936239210?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936241242?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936243493?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936246113?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936246181?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936246100?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE WALKING DEAD #122

1936248735?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ROBERT KIRKMAN

Art: CHARLIE ADLARD, STEFANO GAUDIANO, CLIFF RATHBURN

Cover: CHARLIE ADLARD, DAVE STEWART

32 PAGES / BW / M / $2.99

“ALL OUT WAR,” Part Eight

Negan has a plan.

I'm not even reading this (yet) and I'm already tired of the "War" story. Those of you who don't trade-wait, is it really gripping enough to go on this long? I wouldn't think the zombie apocalypse would allow for long, drawn-out campaigns. (Or, frankly, complicated or sophisticated plans of any kind.)

1801219677?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MARVEL COMICS

THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: THE ART OF THE MOVIE (SLIPCASE HC)

1936250736?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writer: MARIE JAVINS

240 PGS./All Ages/$49.99

Trim size: Landscape

Continuing their popular ART OF series of movie tie-in books, Marvel presents its latest blockbuster achievement! Featuring exclusive concept artwork, behind-the-scenes photographs, production stills, and in-depth interviews with the cast and crew, THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: THE ART OF THE MOVIE is a deluxe keepsake volume that provides an insider’s look into the making of the wall-crawler’s 2012 film directed by Marc Webb, and starring Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Martin Sheen and Sally Field!

In the giddy afterglow of the Avengers movie, I ordered the slipcase collection of HC "Art of ..." books for "Marvel Phase One." Now that I have it, though, I'm not quite sure what it adds to the enjoyment of the movie or the comics. Maybe film studies students would get something out of it, but for me, it's just decorative.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #24

1936250904?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: KELLY SUE DECONNICK, WARREN ELLIS

Art: MATTEO BUFFAGNI

Cover: JORGE MOLINA

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

• Mad Scientist June Covington is at war in New York City with A.I.M. for control of new Inhuman abilities! (And also because she hates people and likes killing them!)

• SPIDER-GIRL has to enlist the help of IRON MAN to understand what’s at stake, how to fight it – and, if she’s very lucky, how to recover her friend without ending up dead.

That sure is an unusual pair of writers. I suspect two separate stories, rather than a collaboration.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER (HC)

1936252867?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: Ed Brubaker

Art: Steve Epting, Various

Cover: TBD

$34.99

For more than fifty years, the Soviets employed an undercover agent - an unstoppable, untraceable killer known as the Winter Soldier. His suspected identity? Bucky Barnes, Captain America's one-time partner, thought to have died during World War II. Now, the Winter Soldier is back, working for the ruthless General Lukin -- who has obtained a functional Cosmic Cube, a weapon of limitless power that can bend reality itself. Vowing to end Lukin's reign of terror and destruction, Captain America relentlessly tracks the Cube -- only to find himself face-to-face against the Winter Soldier. Will Cap be forced to battle his resurrected partner so soon after finally learning the astonishing truth? Five-time Eisner Award-nominee Ed Brubaker's tale of suspense and intrigue has had both critics and fans reeling! Featuring never-before-seen extras and a new introduction by Ed Brubaker! Collecting CAPTAIN AMERICA (2005) #1-9 and #11-14.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180CATACLYSM: THE ULTIMATES’ LAST STAND #5 (of 5)

1936255125?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936257087?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art/Cover: MARK BAGLEY

Variant Cover: JORGE COHELO

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

THE BIGGEST ULTIMATE EVENT YET! MARVEL’S GALACTUS VS. THE ULTIMATES

• The stunning conclusion of the biggest Ultimate event ever!!!

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at CATACLYSM: THE ULTIMATES’ LAST STAND #5 -- the universe-shattering conclusion! From rock star creators Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley!

New York City lays a smoldering ruin. Fractured, broken, and dead, the remaining Ultimates stand on the precipice of destruction, consumed by Galactus, the Devourer of Worlds! Galactus’ World Eating Machine is complete. With mere minutes left, the heroes of Earth are out of time and out of options. Sacrifices must be made -- and not everyone is coming back. Who lives? Who dies? It’s Galactus vs. The Ultimates -- and the winner will shock the Ultimate Universe to its core! After this, nothing will ever be the same again!

Oh, thank God, this is finally ending. I don't know how Galactus will live this down at the next Cosmic Entities meeting.

1936259260?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936261057?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936263497?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEADPOOL #24

Writer: BRIAN POSEHN, GERRY DUGGAN

Art: MIKE HAWTHORNE

Cover: MARK BROOKS

32 PGS./Parental Advisory/$2.99

“Deadpool vs. S.H.I.E.L.D.” Part 4

• One helicarrier full of troops …

• One deadly creature intent on killing them all …

• A creature … named Deadpool.

DISNEY KINGDOMS: SEEKERS OF THE WEIRD #1 (SECOND PRINTING VARIANT)

1936265567?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: BRANDON SEIFERT

Art: KARL MOLINE

Cover: MIKE DEL MUNDO

32 PGS./All Ages/$3.99

“Proves that Disney’s many franchises could find a good home at Marvel.” -- IGN.com

“A fantastic start to an adventure comic that is very reminiscent of earlier, live-action Disney films.”-- ComicVine.com

“Siefert, Moline, and company give readers enough to spark imagination and inspire us to come back for more.” – ComicBookResources.com

“Full of action and weirdness … a really good way for Disney to enter the world of comics.” – TheDisneyBlog.com

“A gripping new comic  … demands attention with action-filled sequences that are sure to make fans of Disney’s darker side smile … a visually pleasing comic that will pique the curiosity of anyone who reads it, dying to know what happens next.” – InsideTheMagic.net

Dreamed up by famous Disney Imagineer Rolly Crump, Disney Kingdoms: Seekers of the Weird #1 is an all-new adventure inspired by Disney’s legendary -- but never constructed -- Museum of the Weird attraction! Originally conceived as a spooky walk-through attraction, the Museum of the Weird was a planned addition to the Haunted Mansion -- containing mystical oddities unearthed from around the globe.

When their parents are kidnapped, teens Maxwell and Melody are thrust into a thrilling race through the world's strangest -- and most threatening -- museum! Together, they must join forces with their mysterious and swashbuckling uncle as they attempt to rescue their family and save the world from an evil secret society … and they just might discover the truth behind their wild and weird destiny along the way!

The comment by IGN mirrors my own thinking. I've long considered this title a test: If it works, expect Disney's stable to get their own line of books. If not, no harm done to Mickey and the gang.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180FANTASTIC FOUR #1

1936265838?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936267901?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936268071?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936268335?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936269852?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JAMES ROBINSON

Art/Cover: LEONARD KIRK

Variant Cover: JEROME OPENA

75th Anniversary Variant: ALEX ROSS

75th AnniversarySsketch Variant: ALEX ROSS

Young Variant: SKOTTIE YOUNG

Animal Variant: KATIE COOK

Blank Variant also available

32 PGS./Rated T/$3.99

“THE FALL OF THE FANTASTIC FOUR” PART 1

Cosmic explorers, heroes forever united as family. The world’s greatest comic magazine begins anew as Marvel’s First Family bursts back into the spotlight in FANTASTIC FOUR #1, from Eisner-winning writer James Robinson (Starman, All-New Invaders) and critically acclaimed artist Leonard Kirk (Supergirl, Captain Britain and MI:13)!

The Fantastic Four’s lives are full of deadly twists and turns. They’ve explored other dimensions, fought terrifying monsters and stood together against some of the Marvel Universe’s deadliest villains! But they’ve always done so together. So what happens when the Fantastic Four go their separate ways?

The brilliant Mr. Fantastic, the compassionate Invisible Woman, the hot-headed Human Torch and the ever-lovin’ Thing are about to embark on a new mission full of danger and excitement -- and one that will see the Fantastic Four meet their untimely end!

"New readers and long-time Fantastic Four fans are in for an emotional and action-packed roller-coaster ride that will tear the team apart at the seams,” says Senior Editor Mark Paniccia. “Broken hearts, betrayal, conspiracies and even murder will test this family of superheroes beyond anything they've ever experienced."

“The team will be brought down,” says James Robinson, in an interview with Marvel.com. “Despite the fact these characters are a family and have always stuck together, there are forces that push them into directions you never thought you’d see.”

“Some rifts will be so big the Fantastic Four may never be the same,” added editor Mark Paniccia, “We’re talking about a serious, hard-core attempt at destroying them … not just on a physical level but emotionally as well.”

As the family of cosmic explorers rushes headlong into their darkest hours, who could possibly be behind their downfall? And how does it involve one of the Fantastic Four’s greatest enemies – the sadistic dragon Fin Fang Foom! “The Fall of the Fantastic Four” begins this February in FANTASTIC FOUR #1!

FANTASTIC FOUR #1 also features a special 75th Anniversary Cover by legendary artist Alex Ross! This stunning cover celebrates 75 years of Marvel with a gorgeous rendering of the Fantastic Four in Ross’ rich, highly detailed style. Don’t miss your chance to own this piece of Marvel history!

1936271903?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936274159?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936276147?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180GEORGE ROMERO EMPIRE OF THE DEAD: ACT ONE #2 (of 5)

1936276187?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936276351?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: GEORGE ROMERO

Art/Cover: ALEX MALEEV

NYC Variant: ARTHUR SUYDAM

Artist Variant: GREG HORN

32 PGS./Parental Advisory/$3.99

IT’S ZOMBIES VS VAMPIRES -- WITH HUMANS CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE -- AS THE LEGENDARY GEORGE ROMERO UNLEASHES HIS NEXT UNDEAD EPIC!

“Romero and Maleev make a great team, and this could very well end up being the best living dead story in years” -- Comicosity.com

Welcome to New York years after the eruption of an undead plague -- a city not only teeming with roaming zombies, but also ruled by vampires!

Zombie Godfather George Romero’s next undead epic continues in EMPIRE OF THE DEAD #2 -- written by George Romero and drawn by critically acclaimed artist Alex Maleev! Something is rotten in the big apple. And it’s not just the rotten flesh of the Zombies overrunning Manhattan! Deep in the pit of the bloody Circus Maximus -- the undead battle for the amusement of the living. But not all here is as it seems. Amid the fury of the arena, vampires roam New York City, hiding in plain sight! What menacing secrets lie in the dark corners of the once bustling metropolis? And when the zombies and vampires prowl -- where does that leave the humans? Find out in GEORGE ROMERO’S EMPIRE OF THE DEAD #2!

I'm on the fence on this. Not only are there a lot of zombie books these days, but there are a lot of zombies-plus-vampires books! Still, it's by zombie king George Romero, which is a big plus. My cunning scheme is to trade-wait and hope one of you Legionnaires samples it first!

1936278749?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936281008?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936283426?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #12

1936227462?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936229661?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art/Cover: by SARA PICHELLI

Variant Cover: MIKE DEODATO

32 PGS./Rated T/$3.99

“THE TRIAL OF JEAN GREY” PART 4!

• A surprise ally from one character’s past comes to help, but is that enough against the most powerful army in the Universe?

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #12, from the rock star creative team of Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli! Jean Grey has been abducted by the Shi’ar Empire – accused of cataclysmic crimes she has yet to commit. But not all is as it seems. How are Star-Lord’s malevolent father and the Spartax Empire involved? Now, as the Guardians of the Galaxy and the All-New X-Men race to the edge of the deep space to rescue her – they’ll enlist the help of some very unlikely allies. One of whom will have world-shattering consequences for one of the All-New X-Men! But even they may not be enough to stop the most powerful army in the Universe. Don’t miss the encounter that will have everyone buzzing this February in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #12!

Hey, is Angel flirting with Angelus in that second cover? Dude! It'll never work! She's owned by a different company!

1936231666?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936233561?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936236457?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180

HAWKEYE #15

1936236570?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MATT FRACTION

Cover/Art: DAVID AJA

• The brothers Barton double down against the bad guys as the Clown lays siege to their building. Can Hawkguy keep everyone safe against a killer nobody's even seen yet?

•  What happens when you're locked up with your loser big brother for like a week straight?

•  You go nuts, right? Clint goes a little nuts.

•  Plus ... two free staples!

Your eyes aren't fooling you: This is indeed Hawkeye #15, although Hawkeye #16 has already come out. And the next issue will be Hawkeye #17. Marvel hasn't really explained what caused them to do this, but they are in fact doing it.

One can only assume that the stories aren't so connected that they won't make sense as they ship out of order. Or maybe Marvel didn't have a choice.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #19

1936238937?profile=RESIZE_180x180Write: MARK WAID

Art: TBA

Cover: MAHMUD ASRAR

32 PGS./Rated T/$3.99

INHUMANITY TIE-IN! “THE HUMANITY BOMB” CHAPTER THREE

• Banner has one last chance to prevent Terrigenesis -- but at an unthinkable cost!

• Banner’s assistants are cannon fodder! Who will survive?

• The Hulk has unleashed a menace even worse than the Terrigen Mists -- and there’s no smashing it!

"Banner's assistants are cannon fodder!" Well, duh, they always were.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL UNIVERSE ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #23

1936239100?profile=RESIZE_180x180Adapted by Joe Caramagna

32 PGS./All Ages/$2.99

• Spidey and his friends cause so much damage in a fight, Nick Fury puts them on cleanup duty!

• Enter the superhero cleanup company: DAMAGE CONTROL!

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180MIGHTY AVENGERS #7

1936241397?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: AL EWING

Art: VALERIO SCHITI

Cover: GREG LAND

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

The White Tiger unleashes her inner beast in MIGHTY AVENGERS #7, from rising star writer Al Ewing and critically acclaimed artist Valerio Schiti! For years, Ava Ayala has shouldered a tragic loss -- her parents and brother, the original White Tiger, were butchered at the hands of militia leader Gideon Mace. Now a member of the Mighty Avengers, Ava honors her noble family legacy by protecting the world as the new White Tiger. But when Gideon Mace reappears, White Tiger hunts for vengeance! Channeling the power of an ancient god of fear and bloodlust, she seeks to end Mace’s reign of terror once and for all! But will she lose her soul in the process? The hunt, and the quest for vengeance, is on in MIGHTY AVENGERS #7!

As I mentioned somewhere else, one good thing about the explosion of Avengers titles is that characters who can't carry their own books can get a little love. How else are we going to get a (semi-) solo White Tiger story?

1936243872?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936244079?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936246384?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936246591?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180MIRACLEMAN #3

1936248647?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936250747?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936251073?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936251088?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: "THE ORIGINAL WRITER" (ALAN MOORE)

Art: GARRY LEACH, ALAN DAVIS

Cover: ALAN DAVIS

Variant Cover: PAOLO RIVERA

Variant Cover: MIKE DEODATO

Variant Cover: J.G. JONES

48 PGS./PARENTAL ADVISORY/$4.99

• Face-to-face with a shocking enemy -- can Miracleman survive, or will London burn?

• A mysterious man with a sapphire grin stalks Michael Moran. Meet the sinister Mr. Cream. Try not to scream.

• A glimpse into the future introduced the Warpsmiths. Now, see these strange warriors battle on their world in “Cold War, Cold Warrior.”

• Including the Miracleman stories from WARRIOR #6-8 and the Warpsmith stories from WARRIOR #9-10, plus bonus content.

“Arguably the most significant work in postmodern superhero comics is finally available”-- Newsarama.com

“As resonant now as it was 30 years ago”-- ComicVine.com

“Miracleman reinterpreted the entire idea of heroes”-- CraveOnline.com

Already garnering rave reviews, MIRACLEMAN is a must-read for any comic fan. Long out of print, these timeless, groundbreaking stories are considered some of the most profound influences on modern comics still felt today. In addition to material originally published in Warrior Magazine, MIRACLEMAN #3 also contains new behind the scenes material about the making of this historic and iconic series.

1936251269?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936253439?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936255531?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE FANTASTIC FOUR VOL 10 (TPB)

1936255752?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936257598?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: STAN LEE

Art: JACK KIRBY, JOHN ROMITA, RON FRENZ

Cover: JACK KIRBY, RICHARD ISANOVE

288 PGS./Rated T/$24.99

Certifiably the World’s Greatest Comic Collaboration, the Stan Lee-Jack Kirby FANTASTIC FOUR run stands as one of the greatest accomplishments in the history of comics. Across ten titanic years, they laid the foundation of the Marvel Universe and birthed more amazing concepts and characters than perhaps any series before or since. But that’s enough waxing nostalgic, True Believer! This is a Marvel comic, after all! Expect plenty of explosive action and family drama including Dr. Doom, a mission to save Apollo 11, the Inhumans, the Sub-Mariner, Magneto and more! Top to it off, we celebrate the entire Lee/Kirby run with essays by critics, creators and comics luminaries — as well as the completed original version of Stan and Jack’s “lost” FF issue! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #94-104 and FANTASTIC FOUR: THE LOST ADVENTURE.

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE FANTASTIC FOUR VOL 10 TPB -- VARIANT EDITION VOL 62 (DM ONLY)

288 PGS./Rated T …$24.99

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEADPOOL #1 (2ND PRINTING)

1936260052?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Art: RAMON ROSANAS

Cover: JAY SHAW

You just can’t keep a good zombie down! From blockbuster Deadpool writer Cullen Bunn (Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, Deadpool Kills Deadpool) and red-hot artist Ramon Rosanas (Spider-Man: 1602) comes and undead Deadpool epic unlike any other!

Critics and fans have spoken. Night of the Living Deadpool is a hit!

“Magnificent” -- ComicBookResources.com

“Treat yourself to some horror humor and give this a read” -- Comicosity.com

“Do yourself a favor and check this one out”  ComicVine.com

Deadpool has woken up from his epic food coma to a world changed. Not only are there zombies everywhere -- but everything is grey! Yikes! Don’t miss out on the Deadpool adventure that has everyone talking as the Merc with a Mouth returns to take on hordes of the undead this February! Don’t miss the NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEADPOOL #1 2ND PRINTING VARIANT!

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180ORIGIN II #3 (OF 5)

1936262373?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: KIERON GILLEN

Art/Cover: ADAM KUBERT

32 PGS./Parental Advisory/$3.99

Logan: CAGED!

• Brutalized by devious captives, the clawed man of the woods may find the one thing he’d thought he lost - - humanity.

• Kieron Gillen and Adam Kubert uncover the mystery of the life of the man who will become WOLVERINE!

Sins and secrets revealed in 'Origin II' #3Witness the Wolverine’s first encounters with his greatest enemies!

Blockbuster writer Kieron Gillen and rock star artist Adam Kubert peel back another layer in Wolverine’s shadowy past -- and today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at ORIGIN II #3! Witness the very first meeting of the mysterious mutant and the man who would become one of his greatest enemies -- the malevolent Mr. Sinister! Broken and savage, the clawed mutant has been pulled back into the world of civilization – by force! Brutally beaten and held captive, the ferocious first “X-Man” is forcibly experimented on by Nathaniel Essex and his Marauders. And the only man who can save him is … Creed?!

But amid the horrors visited upon him, James Howlett may find the one thing he thought lost forever -- his humanity. At some point the Wolverine must choose: is he man or beast? What shocking revelations lie in the untold story of Wolverine’s past?

I hope Wolverine fans are enjoying this. I find I have no interest whatsoever. Call it Wolverine Burnout Syndrome.

1936262487?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936264518?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936264594?profile=RESIZE_180x180

REVOLUTIONARY WAR: SUPERSOLDIERS #1

1936266731?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ROB WILLIAMS

Art: BRENT ANDERSON

Cover: MARK BROOKS

Variant Cover: TBD

32 PGS./ ONE-SHOT/Rated T+/$3.99

Part 5 of “Revolutionary War”

• Some of the most popular heroes of Marvel UK return for SUPERSOLDIERS – and where the Supersoldiers go, trouble isn’t far behind!

• It’s the Supersoldiers versus Mys-Tech in all-out war!

• When a vast army of Mys-Tech Psycho Wraiths come calling on a small Scottish town, it’s up to the Supersoldiers to put them down for good!

SECRET AVENGERS #16

1936269033?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: NICK SPENCER, ALES KOT

Art: LUKE ROSS

Cover: BUTCH GUICE

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

HOW TO MA.I.M. A MOCKINGBIRD CONCLUSION!

• Maria Hill strikes a deal with ... A.I.M.???

• Some are dead. Some are alive. Some are in between. And some quit.

• The Secret Avengers will never be the same.

From the title, it seems possible that Mockingbird might bite the big one. That's OK with me -- with Black Widow, Sharon Carter and Maria Hill around, she seems a little redundant.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180SECRET AVENGERS VOL. 2: ILIAD (TPB)

1936269173?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: NICK SPENCER & ED BRISSON

Art: BUTCH GUICE, LUKE ROSS

Cover: TOMM COKER

136 PGS./Rated T+/$17.99

INFINITY tie-in! S.H.I.E.L.D. takes the fight to AIM’s door with deadly repercussions, and the Secret Avengers find themselves outgunned and trapped in enemy territory! As the truth about the events on AIM Island come to light, the fallout from the Secret Avengers’ attack continues! But what waits deep inside the chambers of the AIM High Council? And after the smoke clears, an old friend is laid to rest, while a new one joins the fray. Quake takes on Maria Hill, and everything rides on the outcome of their clash! And with the Avengers off-world, what will S.H.I.E.L.D. do when Thanos strikes? It’s up to Maria Hill, Nick Fury, Agent Coulson and the Iron Patriot to face certain death and repel the invasion! But what’s the deal with the newest member of the Secret Avengers? Collecting SECRET AVENGERS (2013) #6-11.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180SECRET SERVICE (TPB)

1936271259?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MARK MILLAR

Art: DAVE GIBBONS

160 PGS./Mature/$12.99

From the writer of KICK-ASS and the artist of WATCHMEN comes a collaboration decades in the making!

The world’s greatest secret agent is on the most exciting case of his career. But will the end of the world as we know it take a back seat to training his street-punk nephew to be the next James Bond? Meanwhile, what’s the link between a series of kidnapped sci-fi stars, the murder of an entire town and a dark secret from inside Mount Everest? Under Uncle Jack’s supervision, Gary’s spy skills and confidence blossom -- but when the duo learns what’s behind the celebrity kidnappings, the knowledge comes at a price. The conspiracy begins to unravel, but who can be trusted when so many prominent figures seem to be involved?

It’s a must-be-seen-to-be-believed action spectacle! Collecting SECRET SERVICE #1-6.

This is scheduled to be released as a movie in 2015, according to imdb.com, starring Samuel L. Jackson and Colin Firth. Celebrities rumored to be in the cast include Taylor Swift, Lady Gaga, Elton John, David Beckham and Adele. That sounds ... awful.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN VOL 1: GETTING THE BAND BACK TOGETHER (TPB)

1936273288?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: NICK SPENCER

Art: STEVE LIEBER

Cover by MARCOS MARTIN

136 PGS./Rated T+/$16.99

It’s a new sleeper-hit series starring some of Spidey’s deadliest baddies! Boomerang and his fellow villains prove that with terrible powers come terrible responsibilities, and Spider-Man will soon learn that with superior villains come superior problems! Out on bail and aiming to stay out of jail, Boomerang must get his cronies on target -- but does Frank Castle, the one-man army known as the Punisher, have them targeted already? The Foes have a plan and the means to pull it off, but they’re about to learn the hard way that you can’t steal the head of Silvermane without severe repercussions! Rising star Nick Spencer teams with Eisner Award-winning sensation Steve Lieber for a walk on the Spider-Verse’s evil side! Collecting SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN #1-6.

Thanks to the Legionnaires, I have this on order. Can't wait!

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #28

1936275416?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: DAN SLOTT

Art/Cover: GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI

Variant Cover: Dave Marquez

32 PGS./Rated T/$3.99

“Goblin Nation” #2 (of 5)

• Goblins! Spiderlings! Super villains! Giant robots! It can only mean one thing: ASSAULT ON SPIDER-ISLAND!

• If you want to see people standing around talking, read another comic. Want to see heroes having a fist fight, go somewhere else?

• You are IN the GOBLIN NATION and this is ALL-OUT WAR!

This is it! Grab your seats and popcorn!

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP VOL. 1: VERSUS (TPB)

1936277620?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: CHRIS YOST, ERIK BURNHAM, ROB RODI

Art: DAVID LOPEZ, MARCO CHECCHETTO, IN-HYUK LEE, MICHAEL DEL MUNDO

Cover: PAOLO RIVERA

112 PGS./Rated T+/$17.99

What will the Superior Spider-Man do when he encounters the Marvel Universe’s greatest heroes? Challenge them, of course! And first up are the Avengers! Then, the Scarlet Spider returns to New York to check on Peter’s “superior” behavior, not realizing Doc Ock has taken over Peter’s life. But Ock sure knows who Kaine is: the man who once killed him! But when their reunion is interrupted by an army of mutant spider-clones, can Spider-Man and Kaine put aside their differences to deal with the Jackal? Plus: Thanos’ forces set their sights on Earth, but the Superior Spider-Man’s attention is divided when the lightning-powered Fulmina attempts to return Manhattan to the Dark Ages! Can Luke Cage’s Mighty Avengers help Spider-Man turn back an invasion and restore the city? Collecting SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN TEAM-UP #1-4 and SCARLET SPIDER (2012) #20.

I've ordered this as well. In for a penny ...

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180THOR BY WALTER SIMONSON VOL 4 (TPB)

1936279747?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: WALTER SIMONSON

Art: WALTER SIMONSON, SAL BUSCEMA

Cover: WALTER SIMONSON

240 PGS./Rated T/$29.99

Few people have ever left their mark on one character quite the way Walter Simonson has. His work on the Mighty Thor swept the Norse God of Thunder to heights never before seen and rarely achieved in his wake. Spanning epic tales of heroism and treachery, love and war, Simonson’s work is often considered the definitive Thor. From the majesty and mystery of fabled Asgard to the gritty streets of New York City, Thor was never the same. That is the mark of a true visionary. This fourth volume continues the collection of Simonson’s epic run, including the unforgettable Frog Thor storyline — completely remastered from the original artwork and newly colored by Steve Oliff! Collecting THOR (1966) #364-369 and #371-374.

Wow, Marvel, still milking that cow?

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• THUNDERBOLTS 20.NOW (2ND PRINTING VARIANT)

1936212062?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CHARLES SOULE

Art: CARLO BARBERI

Cover: JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

“There’s very little not to like about this issue” -- ComicVine.com

1801241562?profile=RESIZE_180x180THUNDERBOLTS #22

1936214423?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CHARLES SOULE

Art: CARLO BARBERI

Cover: JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at THUNDERBOLTS #21 from the critically acclaimed creative team of Charles Soule and Carlo Barberi! The Thunderbolts have a problem – and her name is Mercy. Slaughtering innocent people to fulfill her own twisted mission. But how far are they willing to go to stop her? Ghost Rider has inadvertently pulled the Thunderbolts into the underworld. And they’re about to come face-to-face with the big man himself – Mephisto! And he’s got a solution to their Mercy problem – only it’s going to cost them. Nothing good ever happens in the underworld. The Thunderbolts are pretty far from the side of angels, but would they make a deal with the devil? Find out when the blockbuster “No Mercy” arc continues in THUNDERBOLTS #22!

1936216703?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936218741?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936220943?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801241562?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY AVENGERS #17

1936223312?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: RICK REMENDER

Art/Cover: STEVE MCNIVEN

32 PGS./Rated T/$3.99

The conclusion of Ragnarök Now!

• The Avengers Assemble! But are they too late?

• The Twins’ revenge on Kang is complete, but at what cost?

• Planet X is born!

The earth-shattering Ragnarok Now arc reaches it staggering conclusion in UNCANNY AVENGERS #17, from blockbuster writer Rick Remender and critically acclaimed artist Steve McNiven! The Earth has been sentenced to die. Obliterated at the hands of the Celestial Executioner. The Apocalypse Twins’ final revenge against Kang the Conqueror is complete – at the cost of the entire universe! Fractured, broken, and destroyed, the remaining Uncanny Avengers must assemble for one final stand. But are they too late? One planet dies. Another lives. Witness the birth of … PLANET X!

This seems to be racing toward the reset button.

1936223371?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936223672?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936226735?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY AVENGERS VOL 1: THE RED SHADOW (TPB)

1936226924?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: RICK REMENDER

Art: JOHN CASSADAY & OLIVIER COIPEL

Cover: JOHN CASSADAY

136 PGS./Rated T+/$19.99

The Marvel Universe’s greatest era starts here! In the wake of Professor X’s funeral, Captain America creates a new Avengers unit comprised of Avengers and X-Men, humans and mutants working together. But the Red Skull has returned — straight out of the 1940s — and he wants to destroy all mutants! What gruesome weapon has given him dangerous new powers? Rogue and Scarlet Witch face off against the Red Skull’s S-Men, Wolverine and Captain America investigate the worldwide mutant assassination epidemic, and Havok and Thor battle the spreading influence of Honest John, the Living Propaganda! And when Avenger defects, the rest must face the terrible might of the Omega Skull! Plus: Wonder Man, Wasp and Sunfire join the team — just in time for the Grim Reaper’s revenge! Uncanny Avengers Assemble! Collecting UNCANNY AVENGERS #1-5.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180WOLVERINE #2

1936228705?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: PAUL CORNELL

Art/Cover: RYAN STEGMAN

Variant Cover: JEROME OPENA

Animal Variant Cover: KATIE COOK

Design Variant Cover: TBA

Blank Variant Cover available

32 PGS./PARENTAL ADVISORY/$3.99

WOLVERINE NO MORE? After the events of KILLABLE, Wolverine has something to prove. Before he can take on Sabretooth again, he'll need to build himself back up, get better and stronger than he's ever been … but it's not as easy as he thought, and he'll soon find himself turning to other means of revenge when the normal channels don't seem to be working fast enough. Can he fight back his demons, or is this the beginning of a Wolverine who's gone to the dark side? 

You know, it's not like Wolverine hasn't gone to the dark side before ... multiple times. Frankly, he's kind of a jerk even when he's being a good guy.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN #42

1936228697?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JASON AARON

Art: NICK BRADSHAW, PEPE LARRAZ, RAMON PEREZ, STEVE SANDERS, CHRIS BACHALO, NUNO ALVES, SHAWN CRYSTAL, JASON LATOUR

Cover: NICK BRADSHAW

32 PGS. / Rated T/$3.99

SCHOOL’S OUT FOREVER! FINAL ISSUE!

Close out the school year in style with a Graduation Day to remember in WOLVERINE & THE X-MEN #42!

They’ve fought monsters, aliens, the Hellfire Club, and even their own school building -- but now, the inaugural class of the Jean Grey School prepares to leave their hallowed halls behind. That is, if they survive that long!

Fan favorite writer Jason Aaron ends his critically acclaimed run with one last bombastic issue -- and he’s bringing some friends! Wolverine & The X-Men artists past and present return to school for one last tearful goodbye, including Chris Bachalo, Nick Bradshaw, Ramón Pérez, Pepe Larraz and Steve Sanders. And if that’s not enough Shawn Crystal (DEADPOOL) and Nuno Alves (MARVEL FAIRY TALES) join in on the fun! Plus, a surprise taste of the new volume of Wolverine & The X-Men #1 from new series writer Jason Latour that will have you begging for more!

Where do the graduates go from here? Who stays? Who goes? And who survives?

Do I really need to point out that the cover above is an homage to Uncanny X-Men #141, one of the most homaged covers ever? Well, in case there's someone on the planet who hasn't seen the original cover, it's posted below the preview.

1936230960?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936233077?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936234126?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936234187?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936236316?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-FORCE BY CRAIG KYLE & CHRIS YOST: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL 1 (TPB)

1936238270?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: CRAIG KYLE, CHRIS YOST, CHARLIE HUSTON, JASON AARON, ROBERT KIRKMAN

Art: CLAYTON CRAIN, MIKE CHOI, ALINA URUSOV, JEFTE PALO, WERTHER DELL’EDERA, JASON PEARSON

Cover: CLAYTON CRAIN

384 PGS./Parental Advisory/$34.99

They’re the X-Men’s black-ops strike team, created to go places and do things the regular squad can’t or won’t. They’re the best trackers and killers the X-Men have to offer: Wolverine, X-23, Warpath, Wolfsbane, Archangel and more. They’re X-Force.

When the Purifiers resurrect some of the most heinous mutant-murderers in history, X-Force launches into battle with claws out and teeth bared. But can they rescue a teammate and put an end to Bastion’s machinations? And when the lethal Legacy virus is stolen, X-Force must take on the Marauders while Warpath hunts down the Demon Bear! But can the team save their friends from the Leper Queen before they literally run out of time? Plus: Wolverine, alone against Hydra!

Collecting X-FORCE (2008) #1-13, X-FORCE SPECIAL: AIN’T NO DOG #1, and material from X-FORCE ANNUAL (2010) #1.

Am I the only one who was a little freaked out by Wolverine operating a hit squad? And why would the other characters go along with it? For example, when did Psylocke become so bloodthirsty? And what was in it for Fantomex? And how on earth can Wolverine condemn Cyclops for doing bad things while under the influence of an alien power, while doing these terrible things himself while NOT under anyone's control? Quite a double standard, if you ask me.

So I had trouble with this series conceptually, both from a moral and a practical standpoint. What did you guys think?

VALIANT COMICS

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG VOL. 4: SECT CIVIL WAR (TPB)

1936238299?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: FRED VAN LENTE

Art: KHARI EVANS, CHRISCROSS

Cover: CLAYTON HENRY

$14.99/T+/112 pgs./TRADE PAPERBACK

Every enemy. Against each other.

For centuries, the cloak-and-dagger coalition of conspiracies collectively known as The Sect has worked together to bring silent oppression and undercover tyranny to a world that thought it was free. But, now after centuries of profit sharing and uneasy alliances, the factions of The Sect are about to erupt into open conflict…and the only men that can end the insanity are Archer & Armstrong! Too bad they’re fighting for different sides! Why? How? And will either survive? The knockdown, drag-out A&A event of the year starts now – and no conspirator is safe!

Collecting ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #14-17 by New York Times best-selling writer Fred Van Lente (Incredible Hercules) and acclaimed artists Khari Evans (Harbinger) and ChrisCross (Superman/Batman), jump into the series that IGN calls "a must read" with an all-new adventure pitching Archer & Armstrong into their biggest battle yet! 1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180BLOODSHOT AND H.A.R.D. CORPS: H.A.R.D. CORPS #0

1936238647?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936238771?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936241263?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: CHRISTOS GAGE, JOSHUA DYSART

Art: VALENTINE DE LANDRO, CHRISCROSS, JOSEPH COOPER

Cover: ARTURO LOZZI

Pullbox Exclusive Variant: MIGUEL SEPULVEDA

Variant Cover: LEWIS LAROSA

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

Remember the '90s?!

Start reading here as acclaimed writers Christos Gage (Superior Spider-Man) and Joshua Dysart (Harbinger Wars) partner up with an all-star cast of artistic talents to reveal the never-before-told origins of Bloodshot's brothers-in-arms and declassify three decades worth of the H.A.R.D. Corps' unsanctioned super-powered incursions into war zones across the globe. But, in the era of analog, Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps' cutting-edge enhancements are far from perfect and bugs are bound to pop up in the wetware with disastrous results.

For more information, visit Valiant on Facebook, on Twitter, and at ValiantUniverse.com. For Valiant merchandise and more, visit Valiant.CinderBlock.com.

This angle diverges sharply from the old Valiant timeline, so I'm pretty curious. I'm also trying to ignore how old it makes me feel to hear the '90s referred to as "the analog age."

1936243490?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936245992?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936248348?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936250495?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936252181?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801233162?profile=RESIZE_180x180

X-O MANOWAR #22

1936252303?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936254405?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936256635?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801233162?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ROBERT VENDITTI

Art, CARY NORD with VICENTE CIFUENTES

Cover: LEWIS LAROSA

Variant Cover: WILL CONRAD

Valiant Signature Series Variant: JIM CALAFIORE

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

UNITY EPILOGUE! When X-O Manowar thought he had finally found peace, he instead found only more war, death and destruction...

Now, at his lowest point, Aric of Dacia's fate rests in the hands with the most unlikely of allies. Will X-O Manowar regain his lost power and seek bloody vengeance on his enemies, or will be forge a new path? A brand new era for Valiant's flagship hero is about to begin.

If I'm correct in guessing the way this is going to go, I might find myself liking Aric of Dacia for the first time. Mind you, it hasn't been a requirement for me to like Aric to enjoy the book -- it'll just be a bonus.

1936256916?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936259490?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936261276?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936263670?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936263701?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936263834?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• OTHER PUBLISHERS

ATOMIC ROBO: REAL SCIENCE ADVENTURES VOL 2 (TPB)

1936230869?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RED 5 COMICS

Writer: BRIAN CLEVINGER

Art: JOHN BROGLIA and various

Cover: SCOTT WEGENER

$13.95

In the aftermath of the financial panic of 1893, Nikola Tesla and the Centurions of Science are all that stand between the rule of law and a shadowy cabal of corrupt industrialists plotting to usurp the federal government of the United States. Featuring: Black Coats, Swamp Men, the vast pneumatic tube network of New York City, and tons of action tying it all together!

There was, in fact, a financial bust as described in the solicitation above which, for some reason, I remember from high school American history. The Panic of 1873 gets more press, but the Panic of 1893 was worse -- in fact, it was the worst depression the U.S. suffered before the Big  One in 1929. It had something to do with a railroad loan bubble collapsing and a coup in Argentina (seriously!) and a crop failure and a few other things, but whatever started the Panic isn't as important as the end result, which was the same as the end result for virtually every financial downturn in the 19th century: a run on the banks. That in turn caused multiple banks go bankrupt, causing more bank runs, causing more bankruptcies, and so on. Why this vicious cycle stuck in my brainpan all these years I have no idea, especially since the invention of the FDIC during the Depression virtually eliminated bank runs -- or at least mitigated their most egregious effects -- some 30 years before I was born. Perhaps it was the shocking revelation of how precarious financial stability must have been in the 1800s, and how glad I am not to have lived then. Anyway, that's what I know about the Panic of 1893.

As for Atomic Robo, a reporter at my newspaper thinks it's the greatest thing since the FDIC, but I found the first trade to be somewhat derivative, which reduced its entertainment value substantially. Your mileage may vary.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180BALLISTIC #4
    1936230971?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Publisher: BLACK MASK COMICS

Writer: ADAM EGYPT MORTIMER

Art/Cover: DARICK ROBERTSON

$3.50

Darick Robertson and Adam Egypt Mortimer mix crime with psychedelics and a techno-utopia populated by sociopaths in this unparalleled comic-psychosis that reaches dizzying heights of madness as Butch and Gun come face to face with the superboss who truly runs Repo City State.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180BAR MAID #3

1936232842?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936235017?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936236992?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

Writer: PATRICK SHAND

Art: TBD

Cover: BILLY TUCCI

$3.50

After being betrayed and trapped by Japanese forces all looks lost for Cassidy and her band of freedom fighters. But a sacrifice by one of the team members leads to a daring escape. Safe from the Japanese for the time being Cassidy is devastated by the loss of one of the most important people in her life. Can she go on fighting the rising enemy bent on world domination or will this latest loss make her give up for good? Little does she know it's a decision that could alter history itself?

I think the middle cover is kinda clever. If her name isn't Tokyo Rose, it oughtta be.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180BRAVEST WARRIORS #17

1936239200?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: JASON JOHNSON, BREEHN BURNS

Art: MIKE HOLMES

Cover: TYSON HESSE, MICHAEL DIALYNAS

$3.99

The Bravest Warriors must once again save the galaxy! Join Chris, Beth, Danny, and Wallow as they-well ... save space! It seems there is a pattern developing in the life of a warrior, surely nothing can surprise our heroes now...or is there something out there? Something hidden in the shadows...something so big that not even the bravest of warriors will ever be ready?

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180CAPE HORN (HC)

1936239289?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writer: CHRISTIAN PERRISSIN

Art/Cover: ENEA RIBOLDI

$39.95

Tierra del Fuego, end of the 19th century. A vast and desolate land only frequented by gold diggers, English missionaries, Chilean and Argentinean military, and, of course, the age-old Ona, Alacaluf and Yaghan tribes. It is in this unique world, where the last of the Andean mountains plunge into the Pacific Ocean, that several characters with tormented destinies will cross paths on their journey to Cape Horn!

I hope they weren't in Tierra del Fuego in 1893! Argentina is right next door!

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHARLIE BROWN & FRIENDS (TPB)

1936241526?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: POCKET BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: CHARLES M. SCHULZ

Charles Schulz's Peanuts is one of the most timeless and beloved comic strips ever. Now AMP! helps carry on that legacy with new collections of Peanuts classics focused around topics sure to resonate with middle-grade readers. Second in the series is Charlie Brown and Friends. Whether it's the curious relationship between a bird, Woodstock, and a dog, Snoopy, or the never-ending crush that Peppermint Patty has on Charlie Brown, the gang's interactions are what make Peanuts resonate with kids. Together these books will introduce a new generation of kids to the lovable cast in time for the new animated Peanuts movie, which hits theaters in 2015!

$9.99

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180CROSSED BADLANDS #48

1936241615?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936243980?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936244186?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: DANIEL WAY

Art: EMILIANO URINOLA

Cover: RAFAEL ORTIZ

$3.99

The crew of the coast guard ship have found their holy grail -- a sailing vessel with enough top soil to start the new life they have been dreaming of. But before they can get to heaven they have to go through hell. And that means a trip upriver through the heart of a Crossed New Orleans before they can make a break for it. DANIEL WAY's bloody Crossed story continues! Available with Regular and Wraparound covers by Rafa Ortiz, Torture cover by Fernando Heinz, and special Red Crossed Incentive cover.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180DANCE CLASS VOL 7: SCHOOL NIGHT FEVER (HC)

1936245234?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: NBM

Writer: BEKA

Art/Cover: CRIP

$10.99

The national competition is coming up fast, and Julie, Lucie, and Alia will need all their skills, all their poise, and a lot of grit and determination to get their routine in perfect shape. The always jealous, ever-scheming Carla is trying to sabotage everything again, but the girls are used to that; what they weren't expecting was their teacher, Mary, falling sick at the worst possible moment! As they struggle to choreograph something on their own for the first time, it may be up to Lucie to step up and save the day!

NBM sent me a review copy of Dance Class, which my wife immediately snatched out of my hands. She took ballet as a child and loves ice-skate-dancing at the Olympics and all that sort of frou-frou stuff. But after reading it for a bit, she pronounced it "boring" and handed it back. My gut feeling is if she doesn't like it -- and I assume she's in the target audience, or at least closer to it than I am -- then it's unlikely I'll find much enjoyment there. It remains on my "maybe I'll read this" pile of books.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180DECEIVERS #3

1936247600?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: STEVEN GRANT

Art: JOSE HOLDER

Cover: LORENA CARVALHO

$3.99

All across Europe, Lincoln and Nicky are chased by various intelligence agencies fooled into thinking one of them is the notorious thief Ulysses. Meanwhile, the true mastermind Patrice continues to play all sides against each other ... but will she slip up?

The art doesn't look like much, but "Steven Grant" is a name to conjure with.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180EDGE OF EMPIRE #1

1936249869?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: ROD ESPINOSA

$3.99

A trio of noble sisters, all mighty mages and steam-tech experts, use their wits and combat savvy to aid their teammates in a dungeon quest gone horribly wrong. Then they must face a smug emperor and his warrior hordes in a Colosseum of Carnage!

Rod Espinosa, steampunk story-weaver extraordinaire, forges a world of grand adventure, where magic and mechanisms mix marvelously!

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180FAIRY TAIL VOL 35 (GN)

1936251889?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

Writer/Art/Cover: HIRO MASHIMA

$10.99

When Minerva of Saber Tooth sadistically thrashes Lucy to within an inch of her life, Fairy Tail vows vengeance! Their chance comes at the climax of the fourth day's events. It's Natsu and Gajeel vs. Sting and Rogue, the old dragon slayers against the new! Can the stadium contain the sheer power of these wizards' fire and iron?

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180FIRST KINGDOM VOL 3 (HC)

1936251991?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN

Writer/Art/Cover: JACK KATZ

$24.99

The third volume in the epic saga created by one of the most unique visionaries in the history of the graphic novel! Feuding, immortal cyborg gods; post apocalyptic worlds of bizarre and horrific mutations; hidden histories and secret kings; a story millennia in the telling -- all that barely brushes the surface of this stunning series! Now with newly restored art and lettering plus exclusive all-new interviews and special features.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180FUTURAMA COMICS #70

1936254108?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BONGO COMICS

Writer: JESSE LEON MCCANN

Art: JAMES LLOYD

Cover: JASON HO, MIKE ROTE

$2.99

Professor Farnsworth sells his soul to the Robot Devil in order to be young again, foregoing any and all future scientific discoveries. But when the Planet Express crew becomes responsible for a potentially world-ending calamity, the "old" professor and his scientific genius are needed more than ever! Can the professor break his contract with the Robot Devil and save all of humanity?

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180GANDHI: MY LIFE IS MY MESSAGE (GN)

1936256130?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

Writer: JASON QUINN

Art/Cover: SACHIN NAGAR

$16.99

Gandhi: Apostle of Peace is the second title by Jason Quinn for Campfire's Heroes line. "My life is my message." Mohandas Gandhi was a freedom fighter with a difference; rather than forcing change with the barrel of a gun, he sought to change the world with love and nonviolence. In this epic saga we grow alongside Gandhi from his childhood in the Indian State of Gujarat, through his studies in London during the 1890s, and on to his political awakening in South Africa. We then return with him to India and join his nonviolent struggle to free his nation from the shackles of the British Empire. Gandhi: Apostle of Peace gives us a portrait of the man behind the icon.

Elsewhere online, this book is titled Gandhi: Apostle of Peace, which matches up better with the description above. Maybe it changed.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180GEARHEARTS STEAMPUNK GLAMOR REVUE #9

1936258172?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

Writer: GUY C. BROWNLEE, PATRICIA H. ASH

Art: RICK BROWN & Various

Cover: GREG DANIELS

$3.99

It is time once more for the jewel that is Gearhearts to arrive! Issue 9 features an interview with bestselling author Cherie Priest, an adventure story by Jim Reader, and a series of photographs best described as "Mucha-esque": reminiscent of the flowing lines and romantic shapes of the artist Alphonse Mucha. Also, there are some of the loveliest Brass Belles yet seen in this publication!

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM FAIRY TALES: QUEST #4

1936260372?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936260441?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936260506?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

Writer: PATRICK SHAND

Art: SERGIO OSUNA

Cover: EMILIO LAISO

$3.99

AGE OF DARKNESS!

With the end of their quest just out of reach, our heroes end up in the ravaged town of Vallone ... the kingdom over which Aisling once ruled. Even if the fallen princess can survive the ghosts of her pasts, she still has to contend with the sinister surprise that waits for her, Blake, Bolder, and Druanna at the end of their voyage.

Check out that third cover: It's like Poison Ivy is moonlighting.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180GOLD DIGGER HOLIDAYS SPECIAL #3

1936262828?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: FRED PERRY

$3.50

Make merry any month of the year with a collection of favorite holiday-themed Gold Digger tales from creator Fred Perry!

In February?!??1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRAPHIC CLASSICS VOL 3: HG WELLS (3RD ED GN)

1936263021?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: EUREKA PRODUCTIONS

Writer: ROD LOTT & Various

Art: SIMON GANE & Various

Cover: SETH FRAIL

$12.95

Graphic Classics: H.G. Wells returns to print in an expanded edition, with 80 new pages and new stories! New to this edition are "The Island of Dr. Moreau" adapted by David Hontiveros and Reno Maniquis, and a newly illustrated "The Time Machine" by Antonella Caputo and Craig Wilson. Returning are "The Invisible Man" by Rod Lott and Simon Gane, "The Star" by Brad Teare, and Rich Tomasso's "The Inexperienced Ghost."

I've already read a review copy, and I really enjoy these GNs. It's like re-reading favorite books from my youth, plus it's comics. Win-win!

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180HACKTIVIST #2

1936262994?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: ALYSSA MILANO & Various

Art/Cover: MARCUS TO

$3.99

With a government contract on the table in exchange for their pardons, Nate and Ed open the doors of their social networking company, YourLife, to the CIA to continue their operations in Tunisia. However, Ed may already be thinking a few moves ahead of them all, with bigger, more dangerous plans for sve_Urs3lf.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180HENRY AND GLENN FOREVER AND EVER #4

1936263289?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MICROCOSM PUBLISHING

Writer: TOM NEELY

Art: TOM NEELY & Various

Cover: TOM NEELY, KRISTINA COLLANTES

$5.00

In the final installment of the greatest love story ever told, about the domestic life of "Henry" and "Glenn" as well as their neighbors "Daryl" and "John," we are treated to three new short stories. This issue includes the shocking conclusion to the story of Glenn's mother living with them, plus Henry reveals he has a thing for feet, our heroes discuss philosophers and philosophies, and Henry saves Glenn from some giant lizards after his drummer quits. It's a true testament to the power of love to overcome even the biggest, manliest egos of our time. The book also features dozens of pin up art and full color covers from the original serialized series. Will our lovers continue to frustrate, inspire, and show us the way?

The cover above appears to be an "homage" to Love and Rockets #1:

1936265206?profile=original

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180INSUFFICIENT DIRECTION (GN)

1936265222?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

Writer: MOYOCO ANNO

Art: MOYOCO ANNO, HIDEAKI ANNO

$14.95

From the pen of internationally renowned comic artist Moyoco Anno, comes a biography of one of the animation world's biggest and most polarizing names, her husband Hideaki Anno. Long before Hideaki Anno married Moyoco Anno, he was known as the creator of one of the most popular animated works of all time, Neon Genesis Evangelion. But little was known about the author's personal life. Along came comic artist Moyoco Anno, then came love, then came marriage and then came a comic about how she changed his life. Hopefully for the better.

"Insufficient Direction"? Have they been talking to my high school guidance counselor?

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• JELLABY VOL 1: LOST MONSTER (GN)

1936210545?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CAPSTONE PUBLISHING

Writer/Art/Cover: KEAN SOO

$12.95

Quiet but bright Portia has just moved to a new neighborhood with her mom. Adjusting to life without a father is hard enough, but school is boring and her classmates are standoffish - and even Portia's mom is sort of distant. But things start to get better when Portia mounts a midnight excursion into the woods behind her house where she discovers a shy and sweet purple monster. Life with Jellaby is exciting, but Portia's purple friend has secrets of his own.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180LEGEND OF OZ: THE WICKED WEST #15

1936214897?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

Writer: DIRK MANNING

Art: ALISSON BORGES

Cover: ALISSON BORGES, NEI RUFFINO

Ongoing, $3.50

The final chapter in the epic origin story of the Flying Monkeys of Oz. Don't count on a happy ending.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180LEONARD STARR'S MARY PERKINS ON STAGE VOL 12 (TPB)

1936217077?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: CLASSIC COMICS PRESS

Writer: LEONARD STARR, DON MCGREGOR

Art/Cover: LEONARD STARR

$24.95

Leonard Starr's Mary Perkins On Stage Volume 12 continues the complete reprinting of this classic American comic strip, reprinting dailies and Sundays from June 12, 1972 to January 13, 1974, with an introduction by comics' writer Don McGregor (Sabre, Detectives Inc., Ragamuffins).

I've never seen so much as two consecutive panels of this comic strip. Is it historic or interesting in any way?

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180LOVING DEAD (HC)

1936219187?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writer/Art/Cover: STEFANO RAFFAELE

$19.95

Stefano Raffaele presents a thrilling post-apocalyptic zombie love story! Alan was a simple carpenter until a freak accident ended his life. Now he is among the undead in a world where 95% of the population has died and risen again in sentient zombie form. The few "living" survivors live in organized safe havens where some have banded together to eradicate the zombie menace. While on the run from these violent factions, Alan finds the girl of his dreams -- the decaying, yet beautiful Lynn. As their bodies degenerate, Alan and Lynn make a desperate effort to "live" again by seeking out an experimental serum that might save them.

OK, this must be said: Yuch. No matter how I turn this over in my head, it ends up turning my stomach.

Because, OK, if they're zombies, they are animated dead things that eat flesh and are mindlessly aggressive and therefore incompatible with human life -- and we must destroy them. But if they can think -- and the word "sentient" is in the description above, plus we have two falling in love -- then they aren't undead zombies, but some other form of life, possibly still human, that has a flesh-wasting disease like ebola or something. Which means they shouldn't be trying to eat us. Because if they're human enough to fall in love, then A) they wouldn't be mindlessly aggressive and B) eating flesh should disgust them. So then they should leave us alone, and we should leave them alone. But if they're human enough to fall in love and are leaving us alone, then humans trying to eradicate them is genocide. But if they are still trying to eat us, and if they are sentient, then trying to eat us is pretty close to cannibalism ... and the love affair above is not only disgusting to think about, but pretty close to necrophilia.

WHICH IS IT? It seems to me the creators are trying to have it both ways -- actually multiple ways -- that don't add up if you think about it. And, as you can see, I've already thought about it more than I want to.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180MEGAGOGO VOL 1 (GN)

1936219473?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

Writer/Art/Cover: WOOK JIN CLARK

$19.99

What do you get when you put a washed up loser, an awkward teen going through puberty, and an immortal being into a giant robot? MEGAGOGO, THAT'S WHAT!! A new ongoing graphic novel series from Wook Jin Clark! After ten years of peace and quiet, monsters have returned to wreak havoc on the South. Adam, along with a rag-tag team of misfits, must defend the city of Atlanta. But first they'll have to get past ... the KKK!

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180NANCY DREW DIARIES VOL 1 (GN)

1936221580?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: NBM

Writer: STEFAN PETRUCHA

Art/Cover: SHO MURASE

$9.99

Nancy stars in a horror movie about a monstrous River Heights urban legend - but is it really an urban legend? And will Nancy, Bess, and George live long enough to find out? Plus, it's double trouble for the world's greatest teen super sleuth in "Writ in Stone!" A sweet young boy Nancy has often babysat has gone missing, and while Nancy picks up the trail, a historic stone marker that may prove the Chinese discovered America before Columbus is stolen! Can Nancy solve two baffling mysteries at the same time, with all of River Heights watching?

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180NEGIMA OMNIBUS VOL 9 (GN)

1936223944?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

Writer/Art/Cover: KEN AKAMATSU

$19.99

With the plot of the insidious Cosmo Entelecheia revealed, Fate has forced Negi to choose between the safety of his friends and the destiny of the Magic World. Everyone is going to have to draw on all their strength to get out of this one, but will it be enough? Inspired by the story of his father's conquests during the war, Negi cannot fail! Contains Negima! volumes 25-27!

I wondered if it was significant that NEGIMA was an acronym of ENIGMA, but I Googled it and it's not. Negima is by the same guy who did Love Hina, only set a bit younger which allows it to -- according to the sites I visited -- subvert and dismiss the situations and expectations of the "harem" genre.

There is magic, also.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180PEANUTS VOL 2 #16

1936225984?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

Writer/Art/Cover: CHARLES M. SCHULZ

$3.99

Every Valentine's Day, Charlie Brown waits by his mailbox, hoping against all odds, he will recieve his first ever Valentine. This will be the year everything will change! Or so he thinks ...

Lucy has a different opinion on the matter. Taking him through his prospective sweethearts, Lucy decides that this Valentine's Day, she will teach Charlie Brown to reign in his expectations.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180REGULAR SHOW #10

1936226127?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: K.C. GREEN, ANDREW GREENSTONE

Art: ALLISON STREJLAU, ANDREW GREENSTONE

Cover: ANDY HIRSCH, MICHAEL DIALYNAS

$3.99

It's just a regular day at the park, nothing exciting going on and the only thing left to do is a couple of chores that shouldn't take too long. Mordecai and Rigby think they're up to the challenge when the tasks take a very different turn. Will they be able to save the park in time or is it already too late?

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180REX: ZOMBIE KILLER #3

1936228099?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

Writer: ROB ANDERSON

Art/Cover: DAFU YU

$3.50

Rex the Golden Retriever needs something that's in Las Vegas, but the city is infested with zombies. You think that will stop him? Don't worry, Rex has a plan -- and it might involve gorillas.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROBOCOP BETA (ONE-SHOT)

1936228184?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: ED BRISSON

Art: EMILIO LAISO

Cover: GREG SMALLWOOD

$3.99

WHY WE LOVE IT: With the release of RoboCop, a re-of the all-classic, fans of the new and old will be immersed in the action, oppression and humanity that is RoboCop. We cannot wait to be first in line for this new motion picture event!

WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT: Four anthology-one-exploring the world of the new film, brought to you by some of the freshest voices in the industry -Joe Harris (GREAT PACIFIC), Frank Barbiere (FIVE GHOSTS), Ed Brisson (SHELTERED), and Michael Moreci (HOAX HUNTERS).

WHAT IT'S ABOUT: Alex Murphy was the first successful attempt at creating a man in the machine. But before he could rise, many had to fall. Through the eyes of the failed test subjects on the path to making a successful integration between man and machine, Dr. Norton is forced to ask whether the sacrifice of a few is truly the path towards salvation. His morality must come head to head with Sellars' vision.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROBOCOP VOL 2: LAST STAND PT 1 (TPB)

1936228637?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: FRANK MILLER, STEVEN GRANT

Art: KORKUT OZTEKIN

Cover: DECLAN SHALVEY

$14.99

From the pages of Frank Miller's original RoboCop 3 screenplay comes RoboCop: Last Stand. This tale of redemption, revenge, and corruption brings RoboCop's final chapter to life as he originally envisioned. Sequentially adapted by Steven Grant (PUNISHER: CIRCLE OF BLOOD, 2 GUNS) and illustrated by Korkut Öztekin (HELLRAISER: THE DARK WATCH), this is an event no RoboCop or Frank Miller fan should miss!

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROVER RED CHARLIE #1 FETCH

1936230883?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Art/Cover: MICHAEL DIPASCALE

$3.99

Get a fresh chance to experience GARTH ENNIS' unique new series from the start with this limited edition special first printing cover to Rover Red Charlie #1! Limited to just 1500 copies.

Is this Garth Ennis doing his version of WE3?

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180RUSTY RILEY DAILIES VOL 1 1948 -1949 (HC)

1936232996?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: CLASSIC COMICS PRESS

Writer: FRANK GODWIN, HOWARD CHAYKIN

Art/Cover: FRANK GODWIN

$49.95

Classic Comics Press is pleased to present the long-awaited first volume of Frank Godwin's classic American comic strip Rusty Riley. This volume will include dailies from the comic strips beginning January 26, 1948 to November 29, 1949. Included in this volume is an introduction by Howard Chaykin (Black Kiss, American Century, Bite Club), an interview with Frank Godwin's daughter, rarely seen Godwin art and more!

Another comic strip I've never seen. And in this case, I've never even heard of it. Is there some reason I should buy this, Legionnaires?

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180SERGIO ARAGONES FUNNIES #12

1936233036?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BONGO COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: SERGIO ARAGONES

$3.50

The Sergio Aragonés Funnies maxi-series comes to an end (for now!) with another astonishing anthology of autobiographical anecdotes, perplexing puzzles, and silly short stories from the maestro of mirth! Join Sergio as he encounters Japanese icon Toshiro Mifune and spins a tale of a comic fan determined to emulate his favorite superhero!

Sergio Aragones and Bongo seem like a good fit.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180SERUSIS #5

1936233285?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

Write: TOM HUTCHISON

Art/Cover: OWEN GIENI

$3.50

Adam and Dot have found something they had not counted on in the Master's stronghold. Meanwhile, Kayla is captured by the Relitons but finds she is not alone!

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180SNOWPIERCER VOL 2: THE EXPLORERS (HC)

1936233382?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

Writer: LOB

Art/Cover: JEAN-MARC ROCHETTE

$24.99

Coursing through an eternal winter, on an icy track wrapped around the frozen planet Earth, there travels a train that never stops. This is Snowpiercer: one thousand and one carriages long. The last bastion of human civilization. Or is it? A second train also travels through the snow on the same track, its inhabitants living in constant fear of crashing into the first Snowpiercer. And from this second train, a small group of scavenging explorers now emerges, risking their lives in the deadly cold!

I have a review copy of this I haven't gotten to, but I have read Snow Piercer Volume 1, and liked it (a column is forthcoming). There's also a movie that hasn't been released in the U.S. yet, and the more I research that online the confused-er I get.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180SPIDER ULTIMATE WIDESCREEN COLLECTION (TPB)

1936233431?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MOONSTONE

Writer: NORVELL W. PAGE, C.J. HENDERSON

Art/Cover: GARY CARBON, COURTNEY SKINNER

$23.95

This huge tome reprints the out of print "Judgement Knight" graphic novel, as well as "The Spider: Judgement Knight" issues #1-3, "Chaos Maker", "No Sympathy for the Devil", "The Iron Man War" graphic novel, and the "Satan's Seven Swordsman" graphic novel!

Oh, Moonstone, Moonstone, Moonstone. You've lost The Spider (and The Phantom, Zorro, Doc Savage and The Avenger), but you keep trying to pretend you haven't. You're not fooling anyone, you know.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180STEAM WARS #4

1936233681?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: FRED PERRY

$3.99

The Hegemonic Crux have learned the exact location of the Resistance's last stronghold, and they bring their full might to bear, including terrifying "Death Blimp". Only a small band of resistance fighters, who have stowed away on Lord Baron's battle platform, can hope to gain control of its weapons and turn the tide. But first, Baron must be removed from command in a duel of fate with his son!

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180STONE COLLECTOR VOL 1 (GN)

1936233719?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: GEN MANGA ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: KEVIN HAN

Art/Cover: ZOM-J

$14.95

Pieces of curse fall from the sky as if to mock the cruelty and evil of humanity. These stones create wretched beasts and the flood of these beasts turn human flesh into the undead. There is only one thing that can destroy these hellish fiends -- Jade Stone. This is the story of a Stone Collector. One who wields Jade-forged blades. A man whose family was murdered by these evil abominations and who has vowed to rid the world of their chthonic presence.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180TAROT: LOVE IS MAGICK (S&N DELUXE BUNDLE)

1936235713?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BROADSWORD COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JIM BALENT

$24.99

Here are 3 rare issues of Tarot that all revolve around Love! You'll receive either the A or B cover (or even a Photocover edition) to the Tarot issues #27: "The Goblin Queen," which features the unconditional love of Mudwart to his Queen, Raven Hex; #43: "Dead Leaves," Tarot's bizarre journey to help one Witch realize how beautiful she is and to learn to love herself; and #40: "The Lovers," the love triangle between Tarot, Skeleton Man & Boo Cat. The accompanying pencil print is a brand new Jim Balent portrait of Tarot that measures approx. 6.5" x 10" and is signed & numbered by the artist. Limited to 500 copies.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180TAROT: WITCH OF THE BLACK ROSE #84 (DLX ED)

1936237772?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: BROADSWORD COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JIM BALENT

$19.99

This deluxe litho plate edition comes bagged and boarded and includes a copy of Tarot #84 (either cover A or B) and a black & white 6 1/2" x 10" litho of Tarot entitled "A Shadow of Danger." This limited collector's litho is penciled by Jim Balent himself, comes signed by the artist, and is limited to a printing of 500 copies.

Two Broadsword covers in a row that I can post without feeling like a pornographer. I hope this is a trend!

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180VALERIAN VOL 6: AMBASSADOR OF THE SHADOWS (GN)

1936237914?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: CINEBOOK

Writer: PIERRE CHRISTEN

Art/Cover: JEAN-CLAUDE MEZIERES

$11.95

Who threatens the diplomatic future of Earth? And who are the mysterious Shadows? Point Central is a multicultural space station that serves as a sort of United Nations to the galaxy. Tasked with protecting the new ambassador from Earth, Valerian is kidnapped alongside his charge in a lightning commando attack. It's up to Laureline to do all the heavy lifting and slog through the seedy bowels of the station as she tries to locate and rescue them -- figure out who kidnapped them and why.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180WHERE BOLD STARS GO TO DIE (GN)

1936237987?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: SLAVE LABOR GRAPHICS

Writer: GERRY ALANGUILAN

Art/Cover: ARLAN ESMENA

$7.95

From the creator of the acclaimed Elmer graphic novel comes this new story of love, lust and compulsion. Lovestruck Daniel fell in love with a long forgotten, once popular sex starlet by the name of Anna Marie through a video cassette he found at an old downtown thrift shop. What began as an infatuation soon becomes an obsession as Daniel's fantasies push him to find love in places beyond reason, beyond reality and beyond this world.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180WILL EISNER DREAMER (GN)

1936238509?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: WW NORTON

Writer/Art/Cover: WILL EISNER

$16.95

An extraordinary autobiographical story from a legend in American comics, this roman à clef about Eisner's early years in the thriving comics industry prior to World War II features new annotations that reveal comics pioneers such as Bob Kane and Jack Kirby who appear under pseudonyms.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180WILL EISNER READER (GN)

1936238623?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: WW NORTON

$16.95

Born in 1917, Will Eisner was the author of The Spirit. This collection, the Will Eisner Reader, features a collection of his brilliant short-story gems, including "A Sunset in Sunshine City," an ode to memory and nostalgia inspired by Eisner's transition to life in Florida after his "retirement" in 1985.

1936212828?profile=RESIZE_180x180WILL EISNER'S CONTRACT WITH GOD TRILOGY (NEW PTG HC)

1936238880?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: WW NORTON

$35.00

The legendary graphic novel and the sequels that launched an art form. Set during the Great Depression, this literary trilogy, assembled in one volume for the first time, presents a treasure house of now near-mythic stories that fictionally illustrate the bittersweet tenement life of Eisner's youth. With nearly one dozen new illustrations and a revealing brand-new foreword, this book ultimately tells the epic story of life, death, and resurrection while exploring man's fractious relationship with an all-too-vengeful God. This mesmerizing, fictional chronicle of the universal American immigrant experience is Eisner's most poignant and enduring legacy.

Since Norton primarily publishes textbooks, does that mean these three titles are aimed at college or high school literature courses? That's not a bad fit at all.

This reply was deleted.