Comics Guide for Jan. 15, 2014

Welcome to the latest Comics Guide, which ranks up there with the Junior Woodchuck Guide in utility and necessity!*

(* Not meant to be a factual statement.)

Here are my top recommendations of the week:

DEADPOOL: THE GAUNTLET #1

WRITTEN by GERRY DUGGAN & BRIAN POSEHN

Art and Cover by REILLY BROWN

32 PGS./Rated T+…FREE

The Merc With a Mouth Fights Dracula & More in Marvel’s Latest Infinite Comic!

Prepare for a Deadpool epic unlike any other (and that’s saying something) when Deadpool: The Gauntlet #1 – the latest game-changing Infinite Comic hits digital devices weekly starting in January!

But that’s not all! We’re rolling out the red carpet for ol’ Wade Wilson by offering up his first Infinite Comic adventure for FREE. Available January 15th – Deadpool: The Gauntlet #1 will be available at participating retailers – completely FREE while supplies last!

From Deadpool writers Gerry Duggan and Brian Posehn along with red hot artist Reilly Brown comes an all-new 13-part adventure that takes Deadpool into unknown! Dracula has a very important package he needs delivered – and only the Merc With the Mouth can be trusted. Don’t miss the most exciting new Deadpool story that will send shockwaves through the main Deadpool series in 2014!

Head to your local comic shops on January 15th for a free copy of Deadpool: The Gauntlet #1, while supplies last! At participating locations only.

As you can see from this press release, the first issue of Deadpool: The Gauntlet will be free at participating comic shops while supplies last, so I wanted to alert Legionnaires as soon as I could. I mean, you may not even like Deadpool comics, but it's FREE! FREE FREE FREE!

*Whew!* That word always gets me worked up.

Meanwhile, that first issue is already available as a digital copy, if that's the way you roll. And here's a preview, just in case you're on the fence:

DISNEY KINGDOMS: SEEKERS OF THE WEIRD #1 (of 5)

Written by BRANDON SEIFERT!

Art by KARL MOLINE

Shuster Award-winning cover artist MIKE DEL MUNDO

Variant Cover by WALT DISNEY IMAGINEER BRIAN CROSBY

Variant Cover by Rolly Crump

Teaser Variant Also Available

32 PGS./All Ages …$3.99

AN ALL-NEW ADVENTURE INSPIRED BY DISNEY’S LEGENDARY BUT NEVER BUILT MUSEUM OF THE WEIRD!

Marvel & Disney are proud to present your first look at Disney Kingdoms: Seekers of the Weird #1, the first comic series published under the all-new Disney Kingdoms banner! Created in close partnership with designers, producers and creative directors from Walt Disney Imagineering, the Disney Kingdoms line promises new and exciting adventures expanding upon already beloved lands, attractions, characters, and worlds of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.

This January, experience the first all-new adventure inspired by Disney's legendary - but never constructed – Museum of the Weird! Dreamed up by famous Imagineer Rolly Crump in 1965, the Museum of the Weird was home to a collection of mystical curiosities said to have been unearthed from all corners of the globe. Originally conceived as a spooky walk-through attraction connected to the Haunted Mansion, Crump's innovative designs were left on the drawing board following the passing of Walt Disney....until now!

"We're thrilled to be part of this historic launch that taps into the immense creativity of Walt Disney Imagineering to create background stories for so many beloved attractions," said SVP of Marvel Publishing David Gabriel. "Grounded in rich Disney history, Disney Kingdoms is a great way to link Disney fans and Marvel fans!"

“Disney Kingdoms is the ultimate team-up for fans of Disney and Marvel,” said Editor Bill Rosemann. “Working hand-in-hand with the world-famous Walt Disney Imagineers, Marvel’s best and brightest creators will unleash entire worlds inspired by and built around the attractions and characters that you’ve always known—but will experience for the very first time!”

Written by Brandon Seifert (Witch Doctor) and drawn by Karl Moline (Avengers Arena) - when their parents are kidnapped, teens Maxwell and Melody are thrust into a thrilling race through the world's strangest - and most dangerous museum! Together, they must join forces with their mysterious and swashbuckling uncle as they attempt to rescue their family and save the world from an evil secret society! And they just might discover the truth behind their wild and weird destiny along the way!

I have to confess my first thought when I heard the title "Seekers of the Weird" was "I guess 'Challengers of the Unknown' was taken."

But I've put it up front because, whether good or bad, it signals a sea change of some kind. While Marvel has been at Disney for a few years, there really didn't seem to be any cross-pollination with the comic books. Now, here's a first issue of a Disney-Marvel hybrid. If it succeeds, can Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge and the mice be far behind?

It only makes sense that Disney would want to move their world-famous characters to its own in-house publisher, now that it has one. But it would be a blow to BOOM, as the loss of the Star Wars franchise is to  Dark Horse.

As for the book itself, take a look at the previews and decide for yourself:

MIRACLEMAN #1

THE ORIGINAL WRITER & MICK ANGLO (W)

GARRY LEACH, ALAN DAVIS, PAUL NEARY, STEVE DILLON & MICK ANGLO (A)

COVER BY JOE QUESADA

VARIANT COVER BY JOHN CASSADAY

VARIANT COVER BY MARK BUCKINGHAM

VARIANT COVER BY JEROME OPENA

VARIANT COVER BY LEINIL FRANCIS YU

SKETCH VARIANT BY JOE QUESADA

YOUNG VARIANT BY SKOTTIE YOUNG

CLASSIC VARIANT BY GARRY LEACH

64 PGS./Parental Advisory…$5.99

• KIMOTA! With one magic word, a long-forgotten legend lives again!

• Freelance reporter Michael Moran always knew he was meant for something more -- now, a strange series of events leads him to reclaim his destiny!

• Relive the ground-breaking eighties adventures that captured lightning in a bottle -- or experience them for the first time -- in these digitally restored, fully relettered editions!

• Issue 1 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #1 and MIRACLEMAN #1, plus the MARVELMAN PRIMER.

“[Miracleman’s] heights are highs Watchmen cannot touch. It’s that good. It’s that important.” -- Sequart.org

It was the series that changed comics forever. With the utterance of one word, Michael Moran transformed from the ordinary into the extraordinary – and Miracleman was born!

Long out-of-print, these timeless, groundbreaking stories injected a new sophistication into the super hero genre still felt today. Starting this January, Marvel will begin publishing the legendary run of Miracleman by the original creators that began in Warrior Magazine and continued under now defunct publisher Eclipse Comics!

Fans lucky enough to have read these trailblazing stories when they were originally produced have often referred to this legendary run on Miracleman as “the lost Watchmen,” and Marvel is proud to finally bring these incredible comics to an audience that has clamored for them.

"The wait is over," says Editor In Chief Axel Alonso. "Marvel will finally be bringing these timeless, ground-breaking stories to a whole new generation of reader."

“When these stories were originally colored, the artists were never consulted – and it shows” said Alonso. “The coloring methods used at the time really hurt the finished product. But through close collaboration with all the artists, we’re proud to now present these stories in a manner that matches their creative vision.”

“We've been working with the Miracleman artists to obtain original artwork or photostats in every instance possible, and then applying the same painstaking restoration methods and rigorous quality standards that are utilized on the Marvel Masterworks line. The Marvel Special Projects team have even been developing some new techniques specifically for this project. These Miracleman issues will receive the most advanced restoration possible to ensure the most authentic reading experience,” says SVP of Marvel Publishing David Gabriel. “The art is crisp, clear, and looks as good – if not better than the day it was published! Also, the stories are being completely relettered to meet today’s standards.”

“You’ve never really seen Miracleman, until you’ve seen this Miracleman,” said legendary Miracleman  artist Garry Leach.“I’m positive this will rapidly be recognized as the all-time, definitive, Miracleman series. It’s simply looking that ridiculously sharp!”

Making these stories available to an entirely new generation is one thing – but following the original groundbreaking run, the epic more than 30 years in the making will reach it’s cataclysmic conclusion! You heard correctly -- Marvel will also be publishing all-new Miracleman stories from legendary creators Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham! Long left unfinished, Gaiman and Buckingham’s famous storyline will ultimately see the light of day!

“The tragedy of Miracleman was that we published two issues, wrote three and a half – and then it all stopped,” Gaiman said, in an interview with Marvel.com. “And Miracleman #25 has been sitting in the darkness – nobody has seen it. It was drawn, it was written, it was lettered over 20 years ago.”

“I love the idea that I will get to finish this story,” added Gaiman.

"That Neil and Bucky can finally finish the story they started, is a great relief to still-gasping fans — myself among them," says Alonso.

In addition to material originally published in Warrior Magazine, Miracleman #1 also includes character designs, pencil sketches, original art, an article chronicling the history of Marvelman/Miracleman, an interview with Miracleman creator Mick Anglo, as well as a Mick Anglo’s first Marvelman stories. Re-presented in serialized form, each issue of Miracleman features additional content including new art, interviews with the creators as well as new covers from some of the industry’s most legendary artists!

Don’t miss your opportunity to experience the most popular comic few have ever read when Miracleman #1 makes it’s long overdue return to comic shops this January!

WOW, that's a whole lot of hyperbole! The thing is, it's probably deserved. It's been more than 25 years since I read the stories Marvel is about to reprint, and I still remember them fondly.

Who is Miracleman? If you don't know, it's a long and complicated story, which is filled with both tremendous creativity and an enormous number of lawyers. I'll write it up for a column soon, but the point is that Marvelman's been tied up in the courts for a quarter century, but now Marvel has the rights to publish it -- not only to reprint the existing material, but to finally finish the story (which ended eight issues short of its finale in the 1980s).

And that story is an updating of Captain Marvel, though the lens a UK publisher's 1950s reboot, multiple name changes and Alan Moore's 1980s brain. With, I should add, a follow-through by Neil Gaiman!

Is it worth all the agita? Emphatically, yes. I wholly and completely recommend MiraclemanMarvel is publishing the first two issues this month, and if you read those two and don't want more, I will be astounded. Now, here are a few pages:

MUST READ VALIANT: GREATEST HITS #1

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI, JAMES ASMUS, JOSHUA DYSART, DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI, and JUSTIN JORDAN

Art by LEE GARBETT, TOM FOWLER, KHARI EVANS, CLAYTON HENRY, PERE PEREZ, ROBERTO DE LA TORRE, MICO SUAYAN, and LEWIS LAROSA

$5.99/T+/112 pgs.

Never tried a Valiant comic?! Start reading here – with more than 100 pages of Valiant Comics greatness for just $5.99!

Valiant is proud to announce the upcoming release of MUST READ VALIANT: GREATEST HITS #1 – a specially priced, 112-page collection of critically adored, can't-miss moments from across the Valiant Universe! Collecting X-O Manowar #5, Quantum and Woody #1, Harbinger #1, Harbinger Wars #2, and Shadowman #0, MUST READ VALIANT: GREATEST HITS #1 is the perfect place to find out why Valiant has IGN declaring: "Nobody is making superhero books like this, which is exactly why you should be paying attention to Valiant Comics."

"One of our major obstacles is that everything we've put out has been so well received. Potential new readers are hearing good things about all of our books, which makes it difficult to know where to start reading. At New York Comic-Con this past weekend, we heard the same question again and again: 'I've heard great things, my friends love Valiant, but no one can agree where I should start. Can you help?'" said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. "MUST READ VALIANT: GREATEST HITS #1 is the perfect answer. This is a collection of the five single issues we've found to be most effective at giving new readers a clean entry point and a taste for more."

Valiant's ongoing monthly titles will also fall under the MUST READ VALIANT banner this winter with a new wave of self-contained stories and easy jumping-on points from some of the brightest talents in the industry today. Look for new MUST READ VALIANT milestones each month, beginning in November with Quantum and Woody #5 by James Asmus and Ming Doyle; then continuing on in December with Shadowman #13 by Peter Milligan and Roberto De La Torre; and in January with Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps #18 by Christos Gage, Joshua Dysart and Bart Sears; Harbinger #20 by Joshua Dysart and Clayton Henry; and Eternal Warrior #5 by Greg Pak and Diego Bernard.

For more information, visit Valiant on Facebook, on Twitter, and at ValiantUniverse.com.

For Valiant merchandise and more, visit Valiant.CinderBlock.com.

I haven't read all the issues in this book, but they are complete issues and they are cheap, both of which are good things. Valiant is obviously taking a bath to get people to try their books, which is just good business. And since I think Valiant's line is top-notch, I'll give them the Captain Comics bump.*

(* Really more of a nudge.)

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEADPOOL #1

Written by CULLEN BUNN

Art by RAMON ROSNAS

Cover by JAY SHAW

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

Deadpool goes where no Deadpool has gone before – to the … dead? Marvel is proud to present your first look at Night of the Living Deadpool #1 – from Cullen Bunn, the writer behind the trilogy of Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, Deadpool Killustrated, and Deadpool Kills Deadpool and artist Ramon Rosanas!

After waking up from a pretty epic food coma, our hero finds himself in the middle of the zombie apocalypse! And Deadpool’s not the only one with a full belly – there’s plenty of brainless eating machines just looking for their next good meal! Nothing says “tasty meal” like a mutant who can re-grow his flesh!

Don’t miss one of Deadpool’s darkest tales yet…and not just because it’s in black and white! Can the Merc with the Mouth avoid becoming the Merc in their Mouths? Find out this January when Deadpool takes on the undead in Night of the Living Deadpool #1!

I don't care who you are, that's funny right thar.

DARK HORSE

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH #115

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS OF HELLBOY!

Mike Mignola (W/Variant cover), John Arcudi (W), James Harren (A), Dave Stewart (C), and Rafael Albuquerque (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Ongoing

Two B.P.R.D. teams make their way through the monster-filled streets of a Manhattan wasteland in order to reach the Black Flame’s fortress and take down his army.

• First of five special covers celebrating 20 years of Hellboy!

• Art by James Harren (Conan the Barbarian), whom Multiversity calls one of their favorite artists ever.

• The fall of New York City!

• The reign of the Black Flame!

CLOWN FATALE #3 (of 4)

KILLER CLOWNS FOR HIRE!

Victor Gischler (W), Maurizio Rosenzweig (A), Moreno Dinisio (C), and Tim Seeley (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

The painted beauties go in guns a-blazin’ to earn the bounty they need to crawl out of their squalid clown life. But the girls find out they’re not quite as tough as they thought—and when they fail to carry out the job to the letter, the boss decides he wants a refund.

• Featuring covers by Tim Seeley (Hack/Slash, Revival)

• By Victor Gischler (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike—A Dark Place, Punisher MAX, X-Men)!

“[Gischler has] proven . . . to be a writer that can balance humor, drama, and action in an entertaining, fast paced package.”—Bleeding Cool

Wait, that's not a clown on the cover -- that's a cowgirl! If this whole series had been about cowgirls, I might have picked it up. Because, while even cowgirls can get the blues, clowns are just scary. Cowgirls yes! Clowns no!

KISS ME, SATAN! #5 (of 5)

IT’S A MONSTER SHOWDOWN!

Victor Gischler (W), Juan Ferreyra (A/C), and Dave Johnson (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

Barnabus Black infiltrates the werewolf mafia’s mansion, only to be overtaken by an army of angry monsters, a dangerous wizard, and their werewolf godfather!

• Featuring covers by Dave Johnson!

• By Victor Gischler (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Spike—A Dark Place, Punisher MAX, X-Men) and Juan Ferreyra (Colder, Rex Mundi)!

“You’ll get a charge from Light Brigade, a must have book that should be on everybody’s must have list! — Entertainment Weekly

I bet Satan is a really bad kisser.

MONSTERS AND OTHER STORIES TP

FC, 152 pages, $12.99

(W/A/CA) Gustavo Duarte

Newcomer Gustavo Duarte spins wordless tales brimming with humor, charm, and delightfully twisted horror!

In Monsters!, oversized beasts wreak havoc on cities in the tradition of Godzilla and King Kong. In Có!, an alien abduction disarms a gentle farmer, and in Birds, two business partners run from fate only to find themselves hopelessly unable to change the future.

• In the tradition of Pixar!

Giant beasts bent on destroying the world!

You might well wonder what this is, as I did. So I looked it up, to spare you the effort. No, no, don't thank me -- all part of the service.

Anyway, this is a collection of giant monsters and alien invasions and such (although the cover makes it looks more cartoony than serious) by a Brazilian artist named Gustavo Duarte. Don't worry about the language barrier; it's all wordless. And before DH published this book, you could only see Duarte's work in Brazil.

So now you know!

S.H.O.O.T. FIRST #4 (of 4)

WHO LIVES?! WHO DIES?!

Justin Aclin (W), Nicolás Daniel Selma (A/Cover), and Marlac (C)

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

The angels have found what they need to invoke the end of the world—and the Secular Humanist Occult Obliteration Taskforce is the only thing standing in their way. S.H.O.O.T. is changed forever in the action-packed conclusion to the miniseries everyone is talking about!

• Be sure to check out Justin Aclin’s Akaneiro!

SKYMAN #1 (of 4)

HIGH-FLYING ACTION FROM JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV!

Joshua Hale Fialkov (W), Manuel Garcia (P), Bit (I), Marta Martinez Garcia (C), and Freddie Williams II and Dan Scott (Cover/Variant cover)

FC, 32 pages, $2.99

Miniseries

After an embarrassing defeat at the hands of Captain Midnight, a drunken Skyman accidentally kills an innocent man! Needing a new face for their initiative ASAP, the Skyman Program turns to US Air Force Sgt. Eric Reid: a wounded veteran on the ropes, looking for a new lease on life.

• Ultimates writer Joshua Hale Fialkov pens an all-new superhero series!

Captain Midnight must be doing well to merit a spin-off miniseries. Or maybe DH just wants to trademark "Skyman." Anyway, I might even get it; I have to admit I'm curious why Skyman seems to be attacking President Obama in the second cover.

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER AND THE CRY OF SHADOWS #2 (of 5)

Fighting for the Empire!

Tim Siedell (W), Gabriel Guzman (A), Michael Atiyeh (C), and Felipe Massafera (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Miniseries

Clone trooper Hock has been through much since being left for dead by his Jedi leaders in the Clone Wars. Now, Hock believes he has found a truly great warrior who deserves loyalty and commands respect—Darth Vader! If Hock can impress the Dark Lord as a stormtrooper, he will have earned respect of his own from the leader he admires most.

• Tim Siedell (@badbanana) has one of Time’s 140 Best Twitter Feeds!

“A wonderful installment for Star Wars fans.”—Comic Book Resources

STAR WARS: DAWN OF THE JEDI — FORCE WAR #3 (of 5)

PRISONERS OF THE INFINITE EMPIRE!

John Ostrander (W), Jan Duursema (P), Dan Parsons (I), Wes Dzioba (C), and David Michael Beck (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Miniseries

Je’daii generals Daegen Lok and Xesh are captured by Xesh’s former Rakatan masters, and Xesh learns the truth behind his arrival on Tython. Half-mad with regret, he is forced to give the invaders the knowledge they need to defeat Xesh’s Je’daii friends—and enslave the entire planet!

• Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Volume 1 is one of the highest-selling collections in years!

“An awesome read.”—Geeks of Doom

THE STRAIN: THE FALL #7

GUILLERMO DEL TORO!

David Lapham (W), Mike Huddleston (A), Dan Jackson (C), and E. M. Gist (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

Why does Setrakian, an elderly pawnbroker and a vampire expert, keep a still-beating vampiric heart in a jar? The grisly tale behind this gruesome artifact is a heart-wrenching story, but one that fuels revenge! Meanwhile, Dr. Goodweather’s capture has taken a turn for the worse as he faces execution . . . by vampire!

• Soon to be a TV show on FX!

“The subtle build of tension and terror still peppers every page.”—IGN

X #9

A SUPERVILLAIN IS BORN!

Duane Swierczynski (W), Eric Nguyen (A), Michelle Madsen (C), and Dave Wilkins (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $2.99

Ongoing

Everyone in Arcadia knows: commit a crime, and sooner or later X will come for you. But how to get his attention if you want to die right now? And what if the notorious vigilante doesn’t want to execute a willing victim? It’s a clash of wills as X’s newest, most formidable nemesis takes the stage!

• A wild new arc begins!

• Swierczynski and Nguyen at the top of their game!

• Cover by Dave Wilkins!

“This is finely crafted mayhem from Dark Horse.” —Den of Geek
X VOL 1: BIG BAD TP

(W) Duane Swierczynski

(A) Eric Nguyen

(CA) Michelle Madsen & Various

FC, 128 pages, $14.99

A masked vigilante known only as "X" dispenses justice without mercy to the criminals who rule the decaying city of Arcadia. When muckraking blogger Leigh Ferguson snoops down the wrong alley, she gets swept into X's bloody war with a politically powerful crime lord. Duane Swierczynski (Godzilla, Cable and X-Force) and Eric Nguyen (Batman: Arkham Unchained) dish out nonstop, visceral action, with Dark Horse's most brutal and exciting character-X! Collects issues #0-#4 of the ongoing series.

Now that the first trade is here, does anyone want to recommend it? I'm on the fence, so let me hear it, Legionnaires!DC COMICS

ASTRO CITY #8

Written by KURT BUSIEK

Art by BRENT ANDERSON

Cover by ALEX ROSS

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

When the Confessor investigates the criminal charges against Winged Victory, it leads to open combat—with Samaritan! Can Astro City’s three greatest heroes find a way to work together? And even if they can, will it be too late to save her career? The 4-issue story arc continues as the threat against Winged Victory is revealed and her past is explored.

I don't suppose it's possible that anyone has failed to notice that Samaritan, Winged Victory and Confessor are Superman, Wonder Woman and Batman analogues. Honestly, I'm fine with that; it's not the characters that counts, but what is done with them. And Kurt Busiek absolutely delivers on that score in every issue of Astro City.

BATGIRL #27

Written by GAIL SIMONE

Art by FERNANDO PASARIN

Cover by ALEX GARNER

1:25 SCRIBBLENAUTS UNMASKED variant cover

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

In this tale tying into “GOTHTOPIA,” what kind of sick world pairs up Batgirl and the woman who tried to kill Jim Gordon — Knightfall?!

Wait -- you can't change Batgirl's outfit! What about all those statues? Those action figures? Alicia Silverstone in Batman & Robin? (OK, you can skip that last one.)

I imagine that if this really is a costume change, Barbara Gordon will revert back to her black-and-golds eventually. But while this monstrosity is here, let me point out for the umpteenth time that DOMINO MASKS DO NOT DISGUISE YOUR IDENTITY. It's ludicrous, for example, that it took the Crime Syndicate to "out" Richard Grayson, since his face has been on full display as Robin and Nightwing since 1940! So when anyone who knows Barbara Gordon looks at the character above, they are not going to say "who is that mysterious, masked woman?" They are going to say "Barbara, why are you wearing that outlandish outfit?"

OK, OK, it's a convention. But conventions can die when creators realize they don't work any more -- like the thought balloon, secret identities in general, snoopy girlfriends, sidekicks, trunks over leotards, and many more. It's one thing to slap a domino mask on a character as a disguise in 1940, when audiences were generally children and it was sort-of a "mystery man" standard. But to do it in 2014 is lazy and thoughtless.

BATMAN—THE DARK KNIGHT VOL. 3: MAD HC

Written by GREGG HURWITZ

Art by ETHAN VAN SCIVER and SZYMON KUDRANSKI

Cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

176 pg, FC, $24.99 US

In this new collection of issues #16-21 and BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT ANNUAL #1, Batman discovers a trail of bodies but no leads. His detective skills are put to the test as the Mad Hatter begins kidnapping Gotham City citizens for an unknown purpose. But as The Dark Knight delves deeper into this mystery, he soon realizes that this is unlike any other Mad Hatter case. The Hatter’s gory past will be revealed, and Batman’s resolve will be put to the test!

Batman -- The Dark Knight seems dedicated to beefing up Batman's B-list villains. The first volume worked on Clayface, the second on Scarecrow and this one seems dedicated to turning The Mad Hatter into less of a joke. Good luck with that guys! I mean that sincerely.

BATMAN: LI’L GOTHAM #10

Written by DEREK FRIDOLFS and DUSTIN NGUYEN

Art and cover by DUSTIN NGUYEN

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E • DIGITAL FIRST

Ivy looks forward to every fruitful season—except fall, where there is nothing but barren earth to take care of! Join Harley and Selina as they scour the town for something to cheer Ivy up. Also, what secret is hidden deep in the east wing of Wayne Manor? Only Alfred knows for sure!

This actually looks kinda cute. There's a TPB on the way, if it isn't out already.

COFFIN HILL #4

Written by CAITLIN KITTREDGE

Art by INAKI MIRANDA

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

Eve’s best friend Mel finally emerges from her decade-long fugue state...but is Mel really Mel, or has something sinister found a home behind her eyes? Meanwhile, Eve and Nate search for yet another missing person into the Coffin Hill woods—and land in the lair of a serial killer.

I haven't had time to review the three issues I've read, but I'll sum it up here: The first issue was cliched and boring. The second issue was imaginative and riveting. The third issue had the characters acting foolishly to advance the plot, and I began to dislike them. That's only a .333 batting average, but that second issue was so good I'm hanging in there and hoping for more.

CONSTANTINE #10

Written by RAY FAWKES

Art by ACO

Cover by HOWARD PORTER

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! Brought low by the evil of Blight, Constantine struggles to rally his mystical allies and turn the tide of battle. Only one thing stands in his path: the righteous wrath of The Spectre! Continued in this month’s TRINITY OF SIN: PANDORA #7!

CREATURE COMMANDOS TP

Written by J.M. DeMATTEIS, MIKE W. BARR and ROBERT KANIGHER

Art by PAT BRODERICK, JOHN CELARDO, FRED CARILLO and others

Cover by JOE KUBERT

288 pg, FC, $19.99 US

In one of DC’s strangest comics ever, a werewolf, a vampire, a gorgon, and Frankenstein’s monster fight against the German forces during World War II. Collecting stories from WEIRD WAR TALES #93, 97, 100, 102, 105, 108-112, 114-119, 121 and 124!

Since I have never read these issues and will never amass a complete run of Weird War Tales, you can bet I'm in for this one. Yeah, it's a dopey concept, but it's probably fun as well.

DC UNIVERSE VS. THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE #4

Written by KEITH GIFFEN and TONY BEDARD

Art by DEXTER SOY

Cover by ED BENES

32 pg, FC, 4 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T

At long last, the identity of Skeletor’s dark master is revealed! Can the combined forces of the Masters of the Universe and the Justice League withstand the power of his dark magic?

I think this issue was originally due in November. I haven't heard any reason for the delays.

FOREVER EVIL: ROGUES REBELLION #4

Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art by SCOTT HEPBURN

Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

1:25 B&W Variant cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

32 pg, FC, 4 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

The Rogues just can’t catch a break! On the run from the Crime Syndicate and the Secret Society, the Rogues are forced into a showdown with an army of escapees from Arkham Asylum!

Sometimes I think DC is more enamored of the Rogues than I am, but in this case, I'm all in. OF COURSE the Rogues would fight the Crime Syndicate; they're criminals who by nature don't work and play well with others. The way criminals work together generally is when the guys low on the ladder are afraid of the guys at the top of the ladder, and Len Snart -- as written -- doesn't scare and doesn't take orders from anybody. OF COURSE they would fight. And, as you'd expect, it's fun.

GREEN LANTERN CORPS #27

Written by VAN JENSEN and ROBERT VENDITTI

Art and cover by BERNARD CHANG

John Stewart stars in this special issue! GL Sector Houses across the galaxy are being destroyed, and the Durlans unleash a deadly new weapon designed to counter the GL’s rings!

Finally we're getting away from internal GLC power struggles and out into the universe again. I was getting a little tired of super-powered office politics.

INJUSTICE YEAR TWO #1

Written by TOM TAYLOR

Art by BRUNO REDONDO

Cover by JHEREMY RAAPACK

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

The best-selling prequel to the hit videogame picks up right where it left off! Year one is over—now, year two begins. The death of one of their own has divided Earth’s protectors as hero turns against hero. As Superman’s iron grip on the world tightens, at the edge of the galaxy, fear approaches...

How come so many of these covers depict Superman just on the verge of killing Batman? 1) It's redundant, and 2) we know it won't happen. I guess it's just the artist's way of getting both of the Big Guns on the cover. But it's getting monotonous.

JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 #2

Written by KEITH GIFFEN and J.M. DeMATTEIS

Art and cover by HOWARD PORTER

Before the team can figure out what happened to their memories, Cadmus sends some seemingly familiar faces into the darkness of Commonwealth space to face off against the first member of a new group of villains called LOCUS!

A review on this board said this book pointed out that the first issue wasted too much time on "The Wonder Twins" scientists who have cloned the Big Five Justice Leaguers in the future, at the expense of fleshing out those clones, who are either ciphers or outright unlikeable. I agree. Let's hope the second issue gets really interesting really fast, or this will be one heckuva wasted opportunity.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #11

Written by MATT KINDT

Art and cover by EDDIE BARROWS and EBER FERREIRA

“We Can Be Heroes” Blank variant cover available

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $4.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for more information.

A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! Survivors Martian Manhunter and Stargirl make a perilous trek across a Super-Villain occupied United States. Their first stop may be the last as they enter Gotham City and Clayface-occupied territory!

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

Clayface isn't much of a threat to the Martian Manhunter, but I guess the danger is word getting out that Manhunter and Stargirl have escaped. If the Syndicate got after them, they wouldn't last long.

NIGHTWING #27

Written by KYLE HIGGINS

Art and cover by WILL CONRAD

Nightwing’s being visited by an old friend from Gotham — the Mad Hatter! Desperate to protect Chicago, Nightwing’s been forced into an uneasy alliance with the mysterious Marionette. But who’s really pulling the strings?

Wait -- how'd he get away from the Crime Syndicate? Is this taking place before "Forever Evil"? (As you might guess, I don't follow Nightwing.)

SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? #41

Written by SCOTT GROSS

Art and cover by SCOTT GROSS

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

When the Mystery Inc. Gang takes an unexpected Midwestern detour, they make the best of it by visiting sites left by prehistoric North American culture known as the Mound Builders. But have the legendary Annunaki made a return appearance, or is someone looking for the secrets of the mound for themselves?

SUICIDE SQUAD #27

Written by MATT KINDT

Art by PATRICK ZIRCHER

Cover by STEVE SKROCE

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

A FOREVER EVIL tie-in! As Amanda Waller and James Gordon Jr. fight for their lives in the bowels of Belle Reve, Deadshot and the Squad struggle to survive a deadly trap that one of their own sprung on them!

James Gordon Jr. is believed dead -- and the crux of major plot point -- over in Batgirl so, uh, "spoiler."

SUPERBOY #27

Written by MARV WOLFMAN

Art by ANDRES GUINALDO

Cover by RAFA SANDOVAL and NORM RAPMUND

The son of Superman finds himself trapped with the Teen Titans in a future that may kill all of them.

Wait -- is Superboy considered the "son of Superman" now, or is that a reference to some other character?

SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #4

Written by CHARLES SOULE

Art by TONY S. DANIEL, BATT and SANDU FLOREA

Cover by TONY S. DANIEL

On sale JANUARY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $4.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.

The secret of Superman and Wonder Woman’s relationship is out and the world’s reaction is mixed, but that’s the least of the power couple’s worries as Zod seeks to release Faora from the Phantom Zone!

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

When these two break up, as they inevitably will, they're clearly going to have to trade down on their next date! Meanwhile, I'm really finding this book kinda sweet and romantic-ish. And I can't believe I just wrote that.

WORLDS’ FINEST #19

Written by PAUL LEVITZ

Art by R.B. SILVA and JOE WEEMS

Cover by EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

On sale JANUARY 15 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Desperate times call for desperate measures as Power Girl and Huntress reveal their true origins to this world’s Superman and Batman!

It's about bloody time! I never bought the explanation for why the two were staying undercover anyway, especially since this planet's Justice League was their best hope for getting home. And to drag it out almost two years was getting tedious. Plus, how long can anyone steal from Wayne Industries without Batman getting on their case? It defied in-story logic that Huntress could keep getting away with it.

So, OK, that silliness is disposed of. Maybe now this book will realize its potential!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• IDW PUBLISHING

BEN 10 #3

1936186510?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Jason Henderson

(A) Gordon Purcell

(CA) Eddie Nunez

$3.99

Ben 10's Omniverse universe-set high-seas adventure continues! Ben has joined forces with the heroic mer-people of TerraPisciss, but now the undersea kingdom is under threat from the forces of Ssserpent...!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180BLACK DYNAMITE

1936186475?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

(W) Brian Ash

(A) Sal Buscema, Ron Wimberly

(CA) Marcelo Ferreira

$3.99

HE'S A POWDER KEG OF BLACK FURY THAT'S ABOUT TO EXPLODE! The baddest kung-fu cat to ever appear on screen is coming to comics so you suckers better duck! Former CIA agent, international ladies man, and sworn ass-kicking enemy of The Man... he's BLACK DYNAMITE-and he's about to walk into the most dangerous journey of his life!

I assume this is a deliberate homage to blaxploitation, which is fine. But ... Sal Buscema?!??

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180GATE WAY #1 (FORMERLY PURGATORY)

1936186599?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Joe Halpin Sr

(A/CA) Moyano Juanfrancisco

$3.99

In a surreal setting where a red sky burns bright and the blanket of night brings a terror known only as the Dark Souls, ex-cop Jake Ryan struggles to make sense of his surroundings. Purgatory is a story that weaves a rich tapestry of loyalty, lust, intrigue and betrayal as beggars, thieves, priests, and murderers all vie for power in a world that rewards the bold and enslaves the weak.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO #198

1936187065?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Larry Hama

(A/CA) SL Galant

$3.99

The March to RAH #200 Continues! As things heat up in Sierra Gordo, SCARLETT and SNAKE EYES race against the clock to save G.I. JOE's HQ, The Pit, from the sinister grip of COBRA.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180G.I. JOE: SPECIAL MISSIONS #11

1936187257?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Chuck Dixon

(A) Paul Gulacy

(CA) Paul Gulacy, Will Rosado

$3.99

Destro Must Die, Part Two! Copperback is on the loose! The Joes recruited the devious diva to lead them to Destro but the hunt turns into a chase across the globe with Destro's life on the line and a killer new B.A.T. program that will shift the balance of power to Cobra's favor.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180G.I. JOE SPECIAL MISSIONS TP

1936187459?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Chuck Dixon

(A) Will Rosado & Various

(CA) Paul Gulacy

$19.99

When a COBRA satellite drops from space to crash in the Australian outback, Scarlett and the Special Missions team enters the race to retrieve it but the murderous, marauding, motorcycle maniacs who call themselves the Dreadnoks are in the neighborhood too, led by Zartan!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180ILLEGITIMATES #2

1936187498?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Taran Killam, Marc Andreyko

(A/CA) Kevin Sharpe

$3.99

The Illegitimates are assembled and identities revealed as Dannikor's world-changing plot kicks into gear! Can these kids process their newly revealed parentage and, more importantly, get along long enough to embrace their legacies and save the planet from a zombified doom? And, hey, what about the Illegitimates' moms...?

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180INDESTRUCTIBLE #2

1936189754?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Jeff Kline

(A) Javi Garron, Salvia Garcia

(CA) Jose Lopez

$3.99

Everyone has questions for Greg Pincus, the world's newest -- and most accidental -- superhero. But if Greg thought dealing with groupies, paparazzi and the po-po was maddening, wait until he meets the self-important, sniping League of Defenders!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180KISS KIDS TP

1936190832?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Chris Ryall, Tom Waltz

(A/CA) Jose Holder

$17.99

Presenting the adventures of Li'l Demon, Starchild, Catkid, and Spacey ... the KISS Kids gang! This rockin' new comic offers adventures for all ages (and many in-jokes and familiar characters for the KISS faithful, too). No blood or fire here, just laughs and fun tales of the little costumed maniacs and the crazy town in which they live. Also features an all-new introduction from the ageless Gene "Lil Demon" Simmons and Paul "Starchild" Stanley!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180MAGIC: THE GATHERING: THEROS #3

1936190951?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Jason Ciaramella

(A) Martin Coccolo

(CA) Volkan Baga

$4.99

Dack Fayden has managed to assemble the powerful artifact that first brought him to THEROS. But as a monster of the deep attacks the vessel he sails on, Dack must put his new acquisition to good use... and fast!

This issue includes an exclusive, alternate art playable Magic: The Gathering card!

I always read this as "Thermos."

1801205393?profile=RESIZE_180x180MAXX MAXXIMIZED #3

1936194208?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Sam Kieth, William Messner-Loebs

(A/CA) Sam Kieth

$3.99

Maxx is confronted by Mr. Gone in the outback, and spills vital clues about how he became the Maxx. Meanwhile, outback Julie retreats to her rock lair and begins the slow process of healing. Completely remastered-each page has been painstakingly scanned from the original art by Sam Kieth, who is also overseeing the new coloring. This is The Maxx better than ever!

Good grief! Is that girl wearing diapers under her pants?

I try to like Sam Kieth's work, I truly do. I recognize that he has an eccentric style in both story and art, and no matter how ridiculous or pointlessly obscure it gets I know I shouldn't dismiss it out of hand. But I have hard time liking Maxx. What am I missing, Kieth fans?

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDS FOREVER #1

1936194308?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Alex De Campi

(A) Carla Speed McNeil

(CA) Amy Mebberson

$3.99

Everyone knows beloved Twilight Sparkle and her best friends, but have you ever wanted to know what the other ponies in Equestria are up to? Starting in January you will get a chance with the new ongoing comic series My Little Pony: Friends Forever. This collection, based on the animated hit series, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, airing on the Hub Network, will be made up of one-shot stories that focus on different pairs of ponies getting into various hijinx and will feature a mix of new creators as well as old favorites.

“Every MY LITTLE PONY fan has a personal favorite character,” says editor Bobby Curnow, “This series will allow a closer look at those adored ponies (and creatures) while maintaining the fun, adventure and humor of our other MY LITTLE PONY comic books. If you like buddy comedies, this is the comic for you!”

“My hypothesis is that everyone has two Ponies: one that reflects their actual personality, and one that they aspire to be,” says Michael Kelly, Hasbro’s Director of Global Publishing. “I’m pretty sure this new series is all the proof I need. The only question is, will your two Ponies be featured?”

The first pony pairing will feature the loveable Applejack and Pinkie Pie in “The Pie’s The Limit” by two noted authors, Alex de Campi and Carla Speed McNeil. When these two ponies enter a baking contest they will learn more than just what it means to be the best at something but also what it means to be a friend.

“My daughter (3 years old) and I are both huge fans of the My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic animated series,” says writer Alex de Campi, “It's a delight and an honour to be briefly allowed to be custodians of these wonderful characters -- especially my daughter's favourite pony, Pinkie Pie.”

“Working with the MY LITTLE PONY brand is very satisfying,” says Carla Speed McNeil, “The characters are so well conceived that a writer can deal any set of ‘cards’ and make a great story, and so well designed that they're endlessly versatile while remaining loads of fun to draw. It's definitely the show I wish I'd had when I was a kid!”

Alex de Campi works in various art mediums from film to comics and is known for her work on IDW’s Smoke, which was nominated for the 2005 Eisner for Best Limited Series.

Carla Speed McNeil is a multiple Eisner Award nominated writer and artist, best known for her science fiction comic series Finder.

The Baron informs me that there is a sizable adult male following for My Little Pony. To each their own, I suppose.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180POPEYE CLASSICS ONGOING #18

1936196414?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A/CA) Bud Sagendorf

Good fortune is coming your way when you snag the new Popeye Classics comic book! Yes,  a cool old-skool comic that adults and kids can both enjoy. Bud Sagendorf's genius action and wackness in "The Box", "Kitty,Kitty", "The Tunnel" and a hilarious Wimpy comic "Duck Dinner". Oh, and a special non-Popeye story, "Sammy Bug's Big Leap!"...and MORE!

$3.99

Several Legionnaires recommend this book, and I am sorely tempted. I have all the Elzie Segar comic strips in collected form, but I don't have any Segar comic-book work, or any Bud Sagendorf work at all. So ... kinda WANT.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180POWERPUFF GIRLS

1936196388?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A/CA) Troy Little

$3.99

Oh NO, it looks like Buttercup was right all along! The Ex-Villains have reverted to their old ways and are tearing up Townsville! The Powerpuff Girls are out-numbered but never outmatched-that is, until the horrible shadow of HIM falls across the battlefield. Just when you thought things couldn't get any worse, huh?

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180RIO COMPLETE COLLECTION TP

1936198499?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A/CA) Doug Wildey

$29.99

Rio was Doug Wildey's masterpiece, a Western hero unlike any ever seen before in comics. Collected in its entirety in a single volume, this book presents all of Wildey's published Rio stories, as well as two new graphic novellas.

I have this in hardback, and I enjoyed it -- Wildey knows his way around an adventure story, and he poured his heart and soul into the artwork. Unfortunately, Rio didn't last long, so it doesn't really go anywhere. But I think those who like Wildey or Westerns would like it.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180TIM BRADSTREET SKETCHBOOK VOL 1 TP

1936200537?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A/CA) Tim Bradstreet

$9.99

Tim Bradstreet has been one of the most in-demand comic-book cover artists for two decades. From the Punisher to Star Trek, his stylized illustrations are all beautifully rendered. Now IDW Publishing is releasing an entire sketchbook of Tim's gorgeous pencils and sketches, complete with insightful commentary by the artist.

It was Bradstreet's covers that finally made me start buying Punisher regularly.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180TMNT ANNUAL DLX HC

1936202728?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A/CA) Kevin Eastman

$39.99

A Deluxe presentation of Kevin Eastman's solo Annual! Raphael and Casey find themselves in the middle of a criminal escapade gone wrong. Rival clans jockey for power in the NYC criminal underworld, and the Ninja Turtles are drawn into the chaos. Expect the unexpected in this fast-paced tale that set the stage for the exciting City Fall arc.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180TMNT NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES #7

1936202911?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Brian Smith

(A) Chad Thomas

(CA) Dario Brizuela

$3.99

It's a triple date disaster as three different pairs of friends (and enemies) all make their way to one fateful night at the movies! Will Don impress April? Will Leo win Karai over? And will Raph and Mike stop arguing long enough to grab some snacks?! These questions and more are answered in this crazy adventure!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180TORPEDO VOL 5 TP

1936202950?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Enrique Sanchez Abuli

(A/CA) Jordi Bernet

$17.99

Abuli and Bernet's masterpiece is a darkly humorous exploration of the criminal underbelly in 1930s New York City. Abuli's distinctive narrative builds the story over time and Bernet's masterful renditions of Torpedo and the city he inhabits are stunningly cinematic.

I'm a big Jordi Bernet fan (as I pontificated about somewhere else on this board recently) and I've been waiting for this series to be reprinted in a more durable format. But I'm about to give up and start grabbing these TPBs, because I'm missing out on a lot of Bernet babes and bad boys. He does both so well!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRANSFORMERS MORE THAN MEETS EYE #25 DARK CYBERTRON PART 6

1936203116?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) James Roberts, John Barber

(A) James Raiz & Various

(CA) Casey Coller

$3.99

A HERO FALLS-AND ONE RETURNS! The struggle in the DEAD UNIVERSE heats up as ORION PAX-the 'bot who was once OPTIMUS PRIME-and RODIMUS struggle with the legacy of PRIMES! Meanwhile, the Lost Light is under attack in deep space-and SHOCKWAVE and the terrifying NECROTITAN threatens CYBERTRON!

I wasn't sure how to punctuate that title, so I didn't try.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRIPLE HELIX #4

1936205298?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A/CA) John Byrne

$3.99

What do you do when everything you know turns out to be a lie -- even that? The team faces the literal end of the world-and even the CONCLAVE may have arrived too late to help.

This just seems so dated to me, but not dated enough for retro chic. I guess I'm just not nostalgic for the '80s yet!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180WRAITH: WELCOME TO CHRISTMASLAND #3

1936205508?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Joe Hill

(A/CA) Charles Paul Wilson III

$3.99

Three escaped convicts are looking for a set of wheels that can carry them to freedom. Charlie Manx has just the ride they need... but when they get to Christmasland, they'll wish they went to prison instead. Ten years of hard time looks pretty easy compared to 24 hours in a frozen graveyard disguised as the world's coldest, cruelest amusement park.

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-FILES: CONSPIRACY #1 (OF 2)

1936205665?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Paul Crilley

(A) John Stanisci

(CA) Miran Kim

$3.99

The event of the year begins here! When The Lone Gunmen discover Internet files from future, they learn that a plague will soon wipe out most of humanity. With Agents Mulder and Scully working one lead, the Gunmen must spring into action and investigate several urban legends: a group of ghost-hunters, mutant turtles that live in the sewers, shape-changing alien robots, and a vengeful spirit from beyond the grave!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-FILES SEASON 10 #1 DIRECTOR'S CUT

1936205694?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Joe Harris

(A) Michael Walsh

(CA) Carlos Valenzuela

$4.99

The X-Files: Season 10 from IDW took the world by storm, drawing praise from comic readers and longtime X-Philes alike. Now, in celebration of this acclaimed series, we are proud to release a special Director's Cut of the first issue, which includes all of the covers along with the comic's script, giving a rare insight into the inner workings of a comic book from initial thought to publication. Join series creator Chris Carter, writer Joe Harris (Great Pacific) and artist Michael Walsh (Comeback) as we reprise their story ushering THE X-FILES into a new era!

• IMAGE COMICS

ALEX + ADA #3

1936185672?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story JONATHAN LUNA & SARAH VAUGHN

Art / cover JONATHAN LUNA

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

Ada is an amazing piece of technology, but Alex realizes she’s missing something. He goes in search of it and finds out he’s not the only one unhappy with the way things are.

From this cover, I'm guessing Alex is going all Tron on us. But I haven't read the second issue yet, so I don't know how far the story has progressed -- nor have I formed a strong opinion yet. But Luna has a strong track record, so I'm hopeful.

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936187731?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936190119?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936192151?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936194559?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x180CARBON GREY, VOL. 3 #2 (of 2)

1936194680?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story PAUL GARDNER & HOANG NGUYEN

Art KHARI EVANS, HOANG NGUYEN & KINSUN LOH

Cover A HOANG NGUYEN & KINSUN LOH

Cover B HOANG NGUYEN & KINSUN LOH

Cover C HOANG NGUYEN

48 PAGES / FC / T+ / $4.99

"MOTHERS OF REVOLUTION," CONCLUSION

The war, which not long ago was everything, now seems insignificant in the face of the unimaginable destructive power of the stone. But there is still hope, for even as the world unravels, mortal enemies unite and the true meaning of Gottfaust’s prophecy is revealed in this, the double-length finale to our EPIC saga.

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x180EGOs #1

1936196960?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story STUART MOORE

Art / cover GUS STORMS

32 PAGES / FC / T+  / $2.99

A twisted far-future epic! An aging hero risks everything to rebuild his former team – but to do so, he must cross a line with his wife that can’t be uncrossed.

Writer Stuart Moore and artist Gus Storms unveil EGOs #1, a twisted far-future epic. Years ago, The Earth/Galactic Operatives defeated Masse, a sentient, hungry galaxy — but now Masse has returned, consuming entire planets and killing millions of people. Deuce, an aging hero, decides to reform his old team and go into battle to save the day. But in order to do that, he must cross a line with Pixel, his wife and former teammate, an act that threatens to tear apart the life they've built together. EGOs sits at the intersection of a mid-life crisis, a galaxy-spanning threat, and the incredibly creative ideas that make sci-fi tales so compelling.

"There are obviously echoes of other space-based super-teams here, but with darker, HBO-style characterization, and a twist at the end of issue #1 that hopefully comes as a surprise AND sets everything else in motion," says Moore. "I'm really proud of it — I think it's the best thing I've ever done."

Moore has a long history in the comics industry, having written acclaimed runs on Namor, Firestorm: The Nuclear Man, and Wolverine Noir. He has also served as editor on several groundbreaking and classic comics series, including Hellblazer, Preacher, Daredevil, and Transmetropolitan. Storms contributed his fine line and attractive palette to 12 Reasons to Die before joining Moore on EGOs and defining the vibrant, ultra-high-tech look of the series.

Creators throughout the industry have praised EGOs ahead of its release:

"I've known Stuart Moore since his days at Vertigo, and I always thought he was one of the very smartest minds in our industry. I'm delighted that he's writing a new book for my friends at Image, especially because EGOs is his best story yet." -- Brian K. Vaughan (SAGA, The Private Eye)

"Stuart Moore was one of comics' greatest editors precisely because he's a great writer. Everything he writes demands attention." -- Warren Ellis (Transmetropolitan, Planetary)

"With EGOs, Stuart Moore's thoughtful writing style really comes into its own. I look forward to following this one as it develops — very highly recommended." -- Garth Ennis (Preacher, Fury MAX)

EGOs sets up house at the junction of superhero stories and big-ideas sci-fi — then trashes the junction and builds its own huge, insane theme park.” -- Mike Carey (The Unwritten, Lucifer)

A preview of EGOs #1 will be appearing in SAGA #15, in stores on October 30th.

I was tempted to put this in the front as a recommendation, because the pedigree and description are both A-list. But since there's a convenient preview in Saga, I'll just wait to see that before I make up my mind.

1936199129?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936201232?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936201557?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936203854?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936206113?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936208446?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x180GHOSTED #6

1936208669?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art DAVIDE GIANFELICE & MIROSLAV MRVA

Cover MATTEO SCALERA

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

NEW STORY ARC!

After his last job, Jackson Winters won his freedom. But even now, he can’t put his very real ghosts to rest. News of his reappearance has spread, and there are people who have waited a long time to use his peculiar talents for all the wrong reasons.

I've said before that I thought the first story (Ghosted #1-5) was terrific -- a stunningly good cross between crime caper and haunted house story. Unfortunately, that's not a perfect indicator of how I'll like this new story, because there's a new artist -- and the art on the previous story was a perfect match of style and content and one of my favorite parts. Still, that first story was awfully good, and this one won't be burdened with an "origin," so I have high hopes.

1936208829?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936208930?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936208981?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936211190?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936213338?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936215557?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x180I LOVE TROUBLE TP

1936217763?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story KEL SYMONS

Art/cover MARK A. ROBINSON & NATHAN STOCKMAN

160 PAGES / FC / M / $16.99

Felicia Castillo is a small-time grifter on the run from a nasty New Orleans gangster she just ripped off when she discovers she has the amazing ability to teleport. This lands her in the crosshairs of the nefarious Mars Corporation, which exploits supernatural gifts of people like Felicia. They make her an offer she can’t refuse: use her unique talent to become an assassin that can get close to anyone, anywhere. However, Felicia soon learns that no matter how long or how far you run, your troubles always catch up to you.

Teleportation seems to me like the kind of super-power where  you don't really have to worry about anything any more. Hungry? Pop in and out of a pizzeria. Need a few bucks? Pop in and out of bank vault. Cops after you? Brazil awaits. The only time you'd be vulnerable is when you sleep, and surely you could pop around until you found a sufficiently deserted South Seas Island or vacation home.

I suppose Symons will gin up some drama, but I'm not sure how.

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x180PETER PANZERFAUST #16

1936219948?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story KURTIS J. WIEBE

Art / cover TYLER JENKINS

32 PAGES / FC / T  / $3.50

"THE HUNT," Part One

In the aftermath of the assault on The Sticks, the team is fractured and Lily’s father is dead. Parsons returns to Lily to hear of what happened and he learns her side of the story for the first time. It's a tale of revenge ... with the Hunters becoming the hunted!

THE FOURTH INCREDIBLE STORY ARC BEGINS HERE!

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936221939?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936224344?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936226717?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936226889?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936228925?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936231113?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x180PROPHET #42

1936231333?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Brandon Graham, Simon Roy

(A) Simon Roy, Giannis Milonogiannis

(CA) Emma Rios

$3.99

The Prophets learn more of the mysterious creatures that threaten them while Troll bonds with one of the greatest forces in the universe.

This title is running several months behind. Moreover, issue #45 is the last.

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936233295?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936235561?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936237620?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936239747?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936242153?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936242235?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x180PROTECTORS, INC. #3

1936242339?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

Art GORDON PURCELL & MIKE ATIYEH

Cover A GORDON PURCELL & MIKE ATIYEH

Cover B KALMAN ANDRASOFZKY

Lieutenant Detective John Riley gets the most important and possibly most dangerous assignment ever: to investigate the mysterious death of the Huntsman. Everyone around Riley wants him to classify this as an accidental death, or a death by natural causes. But Riley suspects murder, and intends to follow that suspicion wherever it leads...even if in doing so he jeopardizes a secret held for over fifty years at the very core of Protectors, Inc.

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936244562?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936246957?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936250697?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936252393?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936252780?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936252695?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• RAT QUEENS #4

1936182677?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936184927?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story KURTIS WIEBE

Art / covers ROC UPCHURCH

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

“GOLD, GUTS, AND GROG,” Part Four

Holy vengeance can be a real headache, but it's so much worse when it's coming from a fifteen foot tall lady troll who's just lost her dad. In this blood-splattered issue, the Rat Queens find out that every action has some sort of hilariously brutal consequence!

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936185134?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936185388?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936185551?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936187758?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936189979?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936191987?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAVAGE DRAGON ARCHIVES VOL. 3 TP

1936192043?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A/CA) Erik Larsen

Story ERIK LARSEN

Art & cover ERIK LARSEN

$19.99

Savage Dragon was dead, to begin with and by the end of this earth-shattering eouc, the world as we knew was dead as well. Featuring the resurrection of the Savage Dragon, the return of OverLord, the resurgence of the Vicious Circle and the revenge of Darklord. All this, and Dragon get married, gets widowed, and gets small. It's 25 action-packed issues of fandom's favorite fin-head! A thrill on every page! Collects SAVAGE DRAGON #51-75.

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180TEN GRAND VOL. 1 TP

1936192340?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

Art / cover BEN TEMPLESMITH

160 PAGES / FC / M / $12.99

TEN GRAND charts former mob enforcer Joe Fitzgerald's journey into the world of demonology and the ancient powers that threaten to tear down the pillars of Heaven itself in a new war between the forces of light and dark. Can the man willing to die a thousand deaths so he can be with his love for just a few minutes in-between save the lives of an entire world? Or will this be the end of...well, everything? Here's your chance to catch up on the story before leaping into the exciting second half of TEN GRAND's epic story.

Collects TEN GRAND #1-6

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180VELVET #3

1936194433?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story ED BRUBAKER

Art STEVE EPTING & ELIZABETH BREITWEISER

Cover STEVE EPTING

You all know the story: a beautiful woman seduced by a secret agent into revealing secrets and helping him on his mission ... but what happens to them once the agent is gone? Find out in issue three, as Velvet tracks Agent X-14's most recent asset down very dark paths.

Recommended, of course.

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936196577?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936196649?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936198797?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936201218?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936201526?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936203835?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180A VOICE IN THE DARK #3

1936206059?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story / art / cover LARIME TAYLOR

32 PAGES / BW / M / $3.99

"KILLING GAME," Part One

With freshman year pressures mounting, will Zoey be able to contain her compulsion to murder another student before school lets out for Thanksgiving break?

Written and drawn — by mouth — by disabled creator LARIME TAYLOR.

What's so strange about this? I had to resist the urge to kill my roommate freshman year, like, every day.

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936208358?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936208777?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936208827?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936208936?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936211061?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936213325?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801206419?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL COMICS

ALL-NEW X-MEN #21!

1936215571?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art by BRANDON PETERSON & BRENT ANDERSON

Cover by STUART IMMONEN

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

• X-23 is back, joining the ALL-NEW X-MEN and kissing Cyclops? What does this mean to Jean Grey?

• Jean and X-23 are forced to team up against a mysterious force, so she better figure it out!

This January, the X-Men battle for their lives against the mutant-hunting Purifiers in the exciting ALL-NEW X-MEN #21 – from blockbuster creative team of Brian Michael Bendis, Brandon Peterson and legendary X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills artist Brent Anderson (back for a special flashback scene)! X-23 is back – but her first mission with her new team, after her horrific ordeal in Avengers Arena, has gone horribly. X-23 and the All-New X-Men face brutal torture at the hands of the Purifiers! Will her first mission be her last? This January, the claws come out in ALL-NEW X-MEN #21!

Since I trade-wait the X-books, I confess I'm verrrrry behind on this title. But I've enjoyed the two trades I've read so far more than any X-title in years, so it's got my recommendation.

1936217733?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936217832?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936220194?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936222265?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801230670?profile=RESIZE_180x180AMAZING X-MEN #3

1936224554?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JASON AARON

Art & Cover by ED MCGUINNESS

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

• BEAST UNLEASHED! Dr. McCoy is pushed over the edge and gives into his savage side like never before!

• The X-Men, split between heaven and hell, are in way over their heads!

• Can they get to Nightcrawler before evil Azazel does?

Prepare for a Beast like you’ve never seen before in AMAZING X-MEN #3 – from the critically acclaimed creative team of Jason Aaron and Ed McGuinness!

Split between heaven and hell the X-Men battle supernatural forces unlike any other – and they’re in way over their heads! Now, to shut down Azazel and his army of demons – Hank McCoy must unleash his animal side!

Plus, the moment you’ve all been waiting for – the X-Men come face-to-face with Nightcrawler! Don’t miss the bombastic AMAZING X-MEN #3!

I've always felt like The Beast's primary function is "scientist." There's nothing his mutant powers offer that aren't redundant with half the team. Any team.

1936226957?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936228714?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936230917?profile=RESIZE_180x180
    1801226287?profile=RESIZE_180x180AVENGERS ARENA VOL. 3: BOSS LEVEL TPB

1936231120?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by CHRISTOS GAGE & DENNIS HOPELESS

Penciled by KARL MOLINE & KEV WALKER

Cover by MIKE DEODATO JR.

136 PGS./Rated T+ …$15.99

The last epic chapter of Season One begins here! The contestants have fought one another in the arena, but now can they put aside their feuds and battle Arcade? The UK love triangle explodes! But between Nara, Anachronism and Bloodstone, whose heart will get broken — or stopped? And is Cullen’s big secret bigger than anyone could have guessed? The final conflicts begin as the surviving contestants lash out on Murder World Island in an all-out battle royale — while down in Arcade’s lair, it’s two other contestants vs. Arcade himself! Can the teens escape before more blood is spilled? Meanwhile, in the outside world, another desperate hunt is on as Hank Pym searches for the kidnapped Avengers Academy students! Collecting AVENGERS ARENA #13-18.

AVENGERS VOL. 4: INFINITY PREMIERE HC

1936233164?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Penciled by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

Cover by LEINIL YU

152 PGS./Rated T …$24.99

INFINITY TIE-IN! Deep in space, the Avengers join the Council of Worlds as they declare war on their cosmic invaders. As the Skrull Empire is reborn, witness the first encounter with the Builders! And when betrayal strikes the Galactic Council and the Avengers find themselves prisoners of war, one last desperate plan is hatched! The Builders make unexpected overtures, Ex Nihilo re-enters the picture, and the final battle for the Marvel Universe begins. Galactic empires fall and rise — and as Earth is targeted, the Avengers race back to their own solar system. But will they be in time to stop the Black Order from making their move? Or will Thanos’ mad plans conquer all life? Collecting AVENGERS (2012) #18-23.

I'm really looking forward to this!

1801205528?profile=RESIZE_180x180CATACLYSM: ULTIMATES #3 (of 3)

1936233353?profile=RESIZE_180x180JOSH HALE FIALKOV (W)

CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO (A)

Cover by MUKESH SINGH

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

• The Ultimate Weapon falls into Galactus’s hands.

• A plague consumes Europe.

• A point of no return for Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos.

I'm not dead yet!

Yes you are.

No I'm not! I don't want to go on the cart!

You'll be stone dead in a moment.

I think I'll go for a walk!

You're not fooling anyone, you know.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180DAREDEVIL #35

1936235521?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARK WAID (W)

Chris Samnee (A/C)

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

• Daredevil pulls his allies together to make an all-out assault on the Sons of the Serpent before they can infest the rest of the nation -- but he’s about to find out just how blind justice can be!

• PLUS...You’ve demanded it! An appearance by Elektra that sets the stage for a huge change in Matt’s life!

Recommended, of course.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEXTER PREMIERE HC

1936235497?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JEFF LINDSAY

Penciled by DALIBOR TALAJIC

Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

120 PGS./Parental Advisory … $24.99

It’s an all-new Dexter adventure — his first time in comic-book form — written by his creator, Jeff Lindsay! Dexter Morgan isn’t just Miami’s No. 1 forensic blood splatter expert. He’s also a serial killer — who targets other serial killers! But now, the deeply damaged Dexter must face his two worst nightmares: his high school reunion and a former classmate with a secret that could destroy him! And as if that weren’t enough, Dexter and his detective sister, Deborah, are on a hot new case — that ends in flames! Dexter may have met his match, but did he help create him? Determined to prove how sneaky he really is, Dexter infiltrates his rival’s lair — but has he actually stepped into a trap? The bodies are piling up under the hot Miami sun — and Dexter might be next! Collecting DEXTER #1-5.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180FANTASTIC FOUR #16

1936235635?profile=RESIZE_180x180MATT FRACTION & KARL KESEL (W)

RAFF IENCO (A)

Cover by MARK BAGLEY

40 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

FINAL ISSUE!

The Fantastic Four are … DOOMED! Dr. Doom has taken on the power of Kang and Annihilus and is supreme ruler of the entire world. Good News: this is in the Doomed Universe. Bad News: our universe is next. The only ones in his way are the Fantastic Four and … the Fantastic Four! The Elemental Eight face off against Doom the Annihilating Conqueror with the fate of infinite realities in the balance! Plus the fate of Old John Storm! All in the fiery finish to the most mind-bending F4 adventure ever!

That is a pretty awesome description. Maybe I will break down and get this "interim" series in trade.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• FANTASTIC FOUR EPIC COLLECTION: ALL IN THE FAMILY TPB

1936182872?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936185659?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801205528?profile=RESIZE_180x180Volume #17 in the Fantastic Four Epic Collection

Written by STAN LEE, JIM SHOOTER, ROGER STERN, TOM DEFALCO, ROY THOMAS, STEVE ENGLEHART & CHRIS CLAREMONT

Penciled by JERRY ORDWAY, JOHN BUSCEMA, PAUL NEARY & JON BOGDANOVE

Cover by RON FRENZ

496 PGS./Rated T …$34.99

After a lengthy absence, the Thing returns to the Fantastic Four! But he’s returned just before his ex-girlfriend Alicia’s wedding to the Human Torch, and Alicia’s stepfather the Puppet Master isn’t happy about the nuptials! Then, when Mr. Fantastic turns down the X-Men’s request to help their dying teammate Shadowcat, Dr. Doom is more than happy to offer assistance! But is he secretly plotting to drive the FF apart? He’s certainly up to something when he kidnaps Franklin and offers him to Mephisto! And when Mr. Fantastic and Invisible Woman take a leave of absence, the old order changeth as the Torch’s ex-flame Crystal and the new Ms. Marvel join the team — just in time to face down Diablo’s vicious elementals! Collecting FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #296-307 and ANNUAL #20, and FANTASTIC FOUR VS. THE X-MEN #1-4.

1801205528?profile=RESIZE_180x180INHUMANITY: SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1

1936187888?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by CHRISTOS GAGE

Art by STEPHANIE HANS

Cover by JEFF DEKAL

ONE-SHOT 32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

INHUMANITY TIE-IN!

The Inhuman city of Attilan has detonated and crashed from the skies, leaving dangerous wreckage and equally dangerous Inhuman technology all over Manhattan. It’s up to the Superior Spider-Man to stop the chaos. But he’s not alone. And he’s about to learn that super powers aren’t all it takes to be superior – and heroes can come from anywhere.1801230670?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936188066?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936191000?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936193995?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801230670?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL KNIGHTS: HULK #2 (OF 4)

1936195821?profile=RESIZE_180x180JOE KEATINGE (W)

PIOTR KOWALSKI (A/C)

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

CONTINUING THE ALL-NEW HULK EPIC SPOTLIGHTING TWO RISING STARS!

• An amnesiac Dr. Bruce Banner has awoken in Paris and now finds himself in a desperate power struggle … for the Hulk!

• Who wants Banner’s monstrous alter ego to do their bidding — and what happens when he doesn’t know who the Hulk is, or how to unleash him?

• A mind-bending mystery + creepy robots + crazy science = quirky cool Hulk action downloaded directly from the mad minds of Keatinge & Kowalski!

1801230670?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE SUB-MARINER VOL. 5 HC

1936195989?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936197983?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by ROY THOMAS with ALLYN BRODSKY

Penciled by SAL BUSCEMA with ROSS ANDRU & FRANK SPRINGER

Cover by SAL BUSCEMA

288 PGS./Rated T …$69.99

Brace yourself for one of the most epic eras in the history of Prince Namor, the Sub-Mariner! Roy Thomas and Sal Buscema have prepared for you a string of classics that have defined the Atlantean’s life forevermore — and lucky you, the Marvel Masterworks are bringing them to you in one sweet package! Featuring team-ups with Hercules and Captain Marvel, gladiator battles against Triton and Stingray, the return of Attuma and Prince Byrrah, the founding of the Titans Three — who would soon become none other than the Defenders — and oh, did we forget the Red Raven? But the heart of the drama is Namor and Lady Dorma’s wedding, and the scheming Lemurian Llyra’s plans to destroy it all! Collecting SUB-MARINER (1968) #25-38 and KA-ZAR (1970) #1.

MARVEL MASTERWORKS: THE SUB-MARINER VOL. 5 HC — VARIANT EDITION VOL. 202 (DM ONLY)

288 PGS./Rated T …$69.99

1801241372?profile=RESIZE_180x180NOVA #12

1936200312?profile=RESIZE_180x180GERRY DUGGAN (W)

PACO MEDINA (A)

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

Cover by Ed McGuinness

• Hot on the trail of the missing Nova Corps, Nova manages to save the lives of some new friends in deep space.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180REVOLUTIONARY WAR: DARK ANGEL #1

1936200457?profile=RESIZE_180x180KIERON GILLEN (W)

DIETRICH SMITH (A)

Cover by MARK BROOKS

Variant Cover by Salvador Larroca

32 PGS./ ONE-SHOT/Rated T+ …$3.99

Part 2 of “Revolutionary War”

• When Shevaun Haldane experiences a troubling vision in Darkmoor Castle, she realizes danger may be coming for the heroes of Marvel UK.

• With time running out, Shevaun has no choice but to suit up as Dark Angel once again.

• An adventure that will take fans through the past, present, and future of Marvel UK!

There was a Dark Angel on TV for a while, played by Jessica Alba. Any relation?

SECRET AVENGERS #14

1936202511?profile=RESIZE_180x180NICK SPENCER & ALES KOT (W)

BUTCH GUICE (A/C)

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

HOW TO MA.I.M. A MOCKINGBIRD, Part Three

• The traitor at the heart of the group is revealed.

• Mockingbird faces a crossroads that threatens to tear her apart.

• Travel to the past. See the future.

I read the first trade. It was ... OK.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #25

1936202649?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by DAN SLOTT & CHRISTOS GAGE

Art & Cover by HUMBERTO RAMOS

Variant Cover by JG JONES

40 PGS./Rated T …$4.99

Special super-sized 25th issue!

• Otto Octavius, the Superior Spider-Man, in a life-or-death struggle against the original Superior Venom!

• Plus: With one last goblin on his side, the Goblin King’s court is now complete!

• Guest starring: The Avengers!

“Darkest Hours” Concludes in the Special Super-Sized SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #25!

This January, the Superior Spider-Man reaches his landmark 25th issue – but will it be his last?! From all-star creators Dan Slott, Christos Gage, and Humberto Ramos comes the shocking conclusion of Darkest Hours! For years, the symbiote has tried to return to its original host – and now it finally has! Peter Parker was strong enough to overcome the symbiote’s dark grasp – but is Otto Octavius? The Superior Spider-Man is no more. There is only…the Superior Venom!!

“The creative team of Slott, Gage, Ramos, Olazaba, and Delgado has been knocking each and every one of these issues out of the park with their particular brand of action and humanity that you really can’t find anywhere else,” says Editor Ellie Pyle. “But this issue has surprises we haven’t even hinted at!”

It’s all been leading to this! As the Superior Venom battles the Avengers – the Goblin King’s final pieces fall into place. And seeds sown here bear bitter fruit in the upcoming Goblin Nation arc! Not everyone will make it to issue #26. You cannot afford to miss the utterly shocking SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #25!

If the rumors of Peter Parker's imminent return are true, this may be your last chance to enjoy the Amazing Spider-Otto. Either way, though, you should savor what is sure to be a temporary arrangement that is nevertheless quite entertaining!

1936204881?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936207357?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936207515?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801230670?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN VOL. 4: NECESSARY EVIL TPB

1936209493?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by DAN SLOTT

Penciled by RYAN STEGMAN & GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI

Cover by RYAN STEGMAN

112 PGS./Rated T …$17.99

Back by popular demand, Spider-Man 2099 returns! But when the future Spidey and the Superior Spidey clash, who will be the most superior Spider-Man in the multiverse? It may not matter, because the end of the battle brings about a moment that will alter the world of Spider-Man — and the Marvel Universe — for years to come! But which Spider was responsible for this shocking change? Then, from the ashes of battle comes the first team-up between the Superior Spider-Man and the Black Cat. Felicia Hardy always cared for the Spider more than the man, but what happens when that man is Otto Octavius? And as an Osborn we haven’t seen in a while returns, Otto celebrates a milestone! Is the world ready for “Dr. Peter Parker” — or what he plans to do next? Collecting SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #17-21.

1801205528?profile=RESIZE_180x180THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #17

1936212408?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JASON AARON

Art by RON GARNEY & EMMANUELA LUPPACHINO

Cover ESAD RIBIC

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

THE GRAND FINALE OF THE ACCURSED!

From critically acclaimed creators Jason Aaron and Ron Garney – Thor and the League of Realms desperate chase across the Nine Realms has finally come to an end. Malekith and his Dark Elves prepare to make their final stand against the forces of good. Prepare for the knock-down, drag-out fight you’ve been waiting for as Thor and Malekith battle to the finish as Earth hangs in the balance!

Thor and his companions stand ready to defend Midgard – except for the traitor among them! But even as the final battle begins – has Malekith already won? All will be revealed in the climactic THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #17!

I enjoyed the first two trades, and they didn't have Ron Garney! This is the best run of Thor since the Simonson days, IMHO.

1936212507?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936214762?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936216965?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801226287?profile=RESIZE_180x180THOR: GOD OF THUNDER VOL. 1 — THE GOD BUTCHER TPB

1936217083?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JASON AARON

Penciled by ESAD RIBIC

Cover by ESAD RIBIC

136 PGS./Rated T+ …$19.99

A trail of blood threatens to consume Thor’s past, present and future! Throughout the ages, gods have been vanishing, their mortal worshippers left in chaos. The only hope for these ravaged worlds is for Thor to unravel the gruesome mystery of the God Butcher! In the distant past, the Thunder God discovers a forgotten cave that echoes with the cries of tortured gods — and is shocked to find himself among them! In the present, Thor follows the bloody wake of murdered gods across the depths of space. And thousands of years from now, the last god-king of a ruined Asgard makes his final stand against the God Butcher’s berserker legions. As three Thors from three eras race to stop the God Butcher, the full extent of his vicious scheme takes terrifying shape! Collecting THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #1-5.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180THUNDERBOLTS 20.NOW
    1936219358?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936219348?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936219653?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by CHARLES SOULE

Art by CARLO BARBERI

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Variant Cover by PHIL NOTO

Animal Variant by KATIE COOK

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$2.99

Marvel is pleased to present your first look at THUNDERBOLTS 20.NOW – from the red hot creative team of Charles Soule and Carlo Barberi! General Ross’ ragtag team of Thunderbolts were brought together to solve the problems that no one else could. But what happens when the problem…is one of them? The god-like Mercy has continues to wreak havoc and destruction – leaving nothing but blood and bodies in her wake. She’s gone too far – and the Red Hulk has turned to an unlikely ally in his quest to shut her down for good – Johnny Blaze, the original GHOST RIDER!

But even the Spirit of Vengeance himself may not be enough to keep this team of sinners and killers out of hell itself. Or maybe he’ll lead them there? Find out when Thunderbolts explodes onto the All-New Marvel NOW! scene in THUNDERBOLTS 20.NOW!

The Thunderbolts aren't a "ragtag team" -- they're a nonsensical team, where everyone has to act completely out of character to avoid killing each other on page two. And now they're dragging poor ol' Ghost "Can't Keep My Own Title" Rider into this mess. Bleah.

1936221882?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936224245?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936226937?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801226287?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY AVENGERS #14 SECOND PRINTING VARIANT

1936228735?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by RICK REMENDER

Art and Cover by Steve MCNIVEN

FOC – 12/16/13, ON SALE – 1/15/14

It’s one of the most shocking comics of the year – and today, Marvel is proud to announce that Uncanny Avengers #14 has sold out at the distributor level (though copies may be available at retail level) and will immediately be going back to press. From the all-star creative team of Rick Remender and Steve McNiven comes one of the most talked about comics of 2013!

“Remender has reached an important point in his saga that is as dramatic and emotional as it is bloody. Steve McNiven is just the artist to handle all those elements.” - IGN.com

“One of the most tense superhero books I’ve read in a long time” – NewsarAma.com

“What it comes down to is, you should not miss this issue” – ComicVine.com

The Avengers Unity Squad stands fractured in their attempts to stop the Apocalypse Twins. Can they settle their differences in time? Or are they too far gone? It all builds to the most shocking moment of 2013 – and one that will have rippling effects across the entire Marvel Universe! You don’t want to miss this issue when UNCANNY AVENGERS #14 returns to comic shops this January!

I just realized that I'm in no hurry to read about the "deaths" of two major characters in this book, as spoiled in the fan press, because not a molecule in me believes they'll stay dead long. That is sad.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY X-FORCE #16

1936229058?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAM HUMPHRIES (W) • HARVEY TOLIBAO (A)

COVER by RAMON PEREZ

“VENDETTA”—A Four Part X-FORCE Event!

32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

"VENDETTA" PART II

•  Classic X-Force villain STRYFE has returned! And he's eager to exact his revenge on the man who left him broken and adrift in the timestream: CABLE.

•  As Stryfe's plan comes to bear, Hope is brought face-to-face with Bishop, the man who crusaded across centuries in a mission to exterminate her. But this time around, she's ready to retaliate...and they'll hold nothing back as they race to destroy one another.

•  Don't miss this no-holds-barred, knockdown, drag-out X-FORCE event! Because when the dust settles, only ONE X-Force team will be left standing ...

If anyone missed it, this cover is an homage to (Uncanny) X-Men #100.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY X-MEN #16

1936230995?profile=RESIZE_180x180BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W)

CHRIS BACHALO (A/C)

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

• Magneto reaches a crossroads. Everything he’s fought for is called into question and he’s forced to make a decision that will change him forever!

I've enjoyed this less than Bendis' other X-book, because I can't buy Magneto as a sorta good guy and I can't buy Cyclops as a sorta bad guy. (They meet somewhere in the middle.) But for what it is, it's well done, and I'm still reading it.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180WOLVERINE MAX #15

1936233071?profile=RESIZE_180x180JASON STARR (w)

ROLAND BOSCHI (a)

Cover by JOCK

32 PGS./Explicit Content …$3.99

Series finale!

• Will Logan get the answers he’s looking for, or just more questions?

• At the end of everything, he makes a decision that will change his life forever.

THERE IS A STRICT NO OVERPRINT POLICY ON ALL MAX TITLES.

1801227049?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN LEGACY #22

1936233205?profile=RESIZE_180x180SIMON SPURRIER (W)

KHOI PHAM (A)

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

• War and death, nations turning against nations…the demonic shade of the deceased Professor Xavier that has been plaguing Legion’s psyche has escaped into the real world. What price will Legion pay to stop him from razing the Earth?

• And prophesied to stop Legion and imbued with the power she needs to do so, will Young X-Man Blindfold take matters into her own hands and extinguish her first love?

• One thing’s for sure: as this groundbreaking series races to its conclusion, anything is possible!

Like the return of Professor X? That kind of possible? Just sayin' ...

• 07 GHOST VOL 8 GN

1936186541?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Yoshiki Nakamura

$9.99

While the Seven Ghosts travel to their past lives' memory bank to investigate who tampered with their memories, Teito unearths a shocking secret of his own - he is the evil god Verloren's vessel! And unless he regains the Eye of Mikael, his soul may crumble, spelling the end of the world.

I'm still convinced they named this book specifically to make it the first book in any alphabetical listing.

1936188696?profile=RESIZE_180x1803 GUNS #6

1936188988?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Steven Grant (A) Emilio Laiso

(CA) Rafael Albuquerque

$3.99

Nothing is as it seems. While anything but a friendship has formed between Marcus and Bobby, they must rely entirely on each other if they want to make it out of this alive. With Joey at their side, this might be just the advantage they need. Unfortunately, they will never see what Ckota has coming ...

1936188696?profile=RESIZE_180x180ADVENTURE TIME #24

1936191205?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Kristina Ness

(A) Shelli Paroline & Various

(CA) Mike Holmes, Brad McGinty

$3.99

Princess Bubblegum faces the consequences of her science experiment gone wrong as she finally finds a way to save the day! But is it too late? Find out if Princess Bubblegum is able to right all her wrongs or if her friends will never be themselves again, it's a crazy conclusion to this arc!

1936188696?profile=RESIZE_180x180ADVENTURE TIME MATHEMATICAL EDITION VOL 3 HC

1936193816?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Ryan North

(A) Shelli Paroline, Braden Lamb

(CA) Stephanie Gonzaga

$34.99

Finn, Jake and Marceline only want to do one thing...PLAY TOTALLY RAD VIDEO GAMES! But some evil wizard has given BMO a virus! Will the heroes be able to save their friend in time? Don't miss these brand new adventures, written by acclaimed cartoonist Ryan North (DINOSAUR COMICS) and drawn by the hottest team in allages comics, Shelli Paroline and Braden Lamb (ICE AGE). This totally mathematical hardcover edition features neverbeforeseen extras, including an inside look into the making of the ADVENTURE TIME comic!

1936188696?profile=RESIZE_180x180ANNOYING ORANGE VOL 4: TALES FROM CRISPER GN

1936195928?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: NBM

(W/A/CA) Mike Kazaleh, Scott Shaw

GN, $7.99; HC, $11.99

Don't adjust your television; that really is a talking orange and he really is that annoying! Annoying Orange and his friends from the fruit bowl have already taken over the airwaves and the Internet with their groaningly silly adventures, and now it's time for them to scare the seeds out of you in this bumper crop of horrific pulpy parodies. Gather 'round the campfire (not so close, Marshmallow!) and join your host, Annoying Orange, for an evening of Tales From the Crisper!

1936188696?profile=RESIZE_180x180ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #17

1936198142?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936200286?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by FRED VAN LENTE

Art by KHARI EVANS

Cover by CLAYTON HENRY

Variant Cover by MICHAEL WALSH

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

The SECT CIVIL WAR reaches its earth-shattering climax!

(…and for once we mean that literally)! ARCHER versus ARMSTRONG! An incredible second identity for MARY-MARIA! Obadiah Archer gets a bold new role – and mission! The secret of the MASTER BUILDERS revealed! We were kidding, before but now we're serious: This one changes EVERYTHING, and the Valiant Universe will never be the same again!

1936200362?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936200844?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936203263?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936205420?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936207765?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180BETTY & VERONICA #269

1936209844?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936212406?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS

Script:  Dan Parent

Art: Jeff Shultz

Cover: Dan Parent, Bob Smith

Rosie the Riveter Variant Cover: Jeff Shultz, Rosario “Tito” Peña

160-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

"Just Another Day" – This issue presents a first for an Archie Comic: An entire story happening in real time (well, comic book real time that is)! Find out what a typical day is like for Betty, Veronica and Archie!  Do they go about their day like every other teenager? Of course not!  Follow along with the infamous love triangle as we get a peek into the typical day of a Riverdale teen—with not so typical outcomes!  Featuring story and art by fan favorite Archie artist Dan Parent and another installment of the classic art-inspired variant cover series by Jeff Shultz!

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180CASE CLOSED VOL 49 GN

1936214561?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Gosho Aoyama

$9.99

The Men in Black are back - and they've got a political candidate in their crosshairs! After eavesdropping on their plans, Conan teams up with the FBI to stop the assassination. But if the Men in Black realize they've been bugged, their next target will be Richard Moore's home!

Can Conan save the politician without putting Mr. Moore and Rachel in danger? Only if he can decipher the code words the Men in Black use to plan their hit!"

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180CLIVE BARKER NEXT TESTAMENT #7

1936215016?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Clive Barker, Mark L. Miller

(A) Haemi Jang

(CA) Goni Montes

$3.99

As Tristan and Elspeth continue their race to Providence, their new traveling companions may hold the key to the mystery of Wick's brethren. Meanwhile, Wick's jealousy leads to a show of force unlike any of his previous acts.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180CURSE #1

1936215143?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Michael Moreci, Tim Daniel

(A) Riley Rossmo, Colin Lorimer

(CA) Riley Rossmo

$3.99

WHY WE LOVE IT: BOOM! Studios has a long history of publishing some of the industry's best modern horror, and CURSE takes us back to our roots with a werewolf story unlike any you've ever seen.

WHY YOU WILL LOVE IT: The CURSE creative team practically screams "horror" from writers Michael Moreci (HOAX HUNTERS) & Tim Daniel (ENORMOUS) and artists Riley Rossmo (DRUMHELLAR) & Colin Lorimer (UXB), you're in store for a smart, realistic, and haunting read.

WHAT IT'S ABOUT: Laney Griffith is a man who will do anything to save his son from leukemia, but the cost of treatment has broken him financially. When he pursues an elusive murderer in the wilderness of his small, rural community, in the hopes of securing a substantial bounty, Laney is confronted with something he never could have expected: a werewolf. The captive lycan, in human form, turns Laney's life upsidedown, forcing him to confront his haunted past and race against the clock-because the wolf will return, and Laney's son's condition continues to worsen. CURSE is a story of a family's survival at all costs.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180DAY MEN #2  2ND PTG

1936215434?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Matt Gagnon, Michael Alan Nelson

(A/CA) Brian Stelfreeze

$3.99

From BOOM! Entertainment. David Reid is not having a good day. A fullblown war has erupted between the Virgo and Ramses families, and David is left to pick up the pieces while his vampire employers sleep. But with the Ramses' legendary Day Man Jacob the Burner on his tail, will David even make it to sundown? Scheduled to ship 01/08/14. (6679)

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEPARTMENT OF MONSTEROLOGY #4

1936215523?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RENEGADE ARTS ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Gordon Rennie

(A/CA) P. j. Holden

$3.99

The finale to the first arc reaches an explosive finish as Team Carnaski are attacked by possessed Samwi and now face probable oblivion, while back at HQ someone may have uncovered the secret of Team Carter's disappearance!

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180EXCEL SAGA VOL 27 TP

1936217591?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Rikdo Koshi

$9.99

The final volume is here! Excel, who had seemed back to her old self, is now a stranger once more after making contact with something - or someone - beyond the forbidden portal. Will she be the captive in the end of a tragedy that happened so long ago? There is but one power that can prevail over all the mysteries of human knowledge - namely, the power of Excel's ego. You didn't think she'd ever forgotten about world conquest...did you? The ignorant masses will kneel at last before the spectacular conclusion of the aptly named ... Excel Saga!

The Legion's expert on all things Japanese, the ever-erudite Baron, had this to say about Excel:

"This is my all-time favorite manga. Seriously, times when my comics budget was zero, I skipped meals in order to have the cash to buy the latest volume. Paradoxically, it's one of those things that it's hard to give a blanket recommendation to. Why? Because it's a parody -- albeit a brilliant one, IMO -- of various manga clichés, so that if you're not reasonably familiar with the sort of thing being parodied, you may not get the full effect of the humor."

Thus endeth the lesson.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180FAIRY TALES OF OSCAR WILDE VOL 3 SC

1936217778?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: NBM

(W/A/CA) P. Craig Russell

$8.99

First time in softcover! One of comic art's most respected and pioneering artists, well known for his opera adaptations and beautiful fantasy work, P. Craig Russell is in the process of adapting Oscar Wilde's famous fairy tales in a series of landmark volumes. A hideous dwarf is captured in the woods and brought in to the court of the beautiful royal infanta for her amusement. He is full of good humor and tricks and becomes quite popular but remains quite unaware of his looks. She has him perform in front of her friends for her birthday. He is very touched and quite proud to receive such attention, until he sees himself in the mirror and realizes their entertainment may be at his expense. Now available in paperback for the first time.

MMMMMmmmmm P. Craig Russell art. Raphael, eat your heart out.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180GARFIELD VOL 3 TP

1936219896?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Mark Evanier

(A) Gary Barker, Andy Hirsch

(CA) Gary Barker, Dan Davis

$13.99

The latest collection of Garfield's return to comic books sends the gang into some wacky adventures, as Odie makes a new friend, Pet Force takes on a scary team of SuperVillains, and Garfield faces his most fearsome foe, the Lasagna Monster! Mark Evanier, Gary Barker, Andy Hirsch and an amazing group of guest artists bring home even more fun with the Fat Cat.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM FAIRY TALES: DARK QUEEN

1936222305?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936224474?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936224607?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936226836?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Eric M Esquivel

(A) Lalit Kumar Sharma

(CA) Stjepan Sejic

$5.99

For centuries the Dark Horde has tried in vain to take control of both earth and the realms of power. But the return of their most evil and powerful leader may finally be what they need to realize their terrible goal. The Age of Darkness is about to begin and all will bow before the Dark Queen.

You'd think a girl who looks like that could get a better job than "Dark Queen." She'd go far in Hollywood, or if she can't act, cable news. I mean, even Hooters has a better retirement plan than being evil in a fairy tale.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM FAIRY TALES: NO TOMORROW #5

1936226939?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936228739?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936229006?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Raven Gregory

(A) TBD

(CA) Harvey Tolibao

$2.99

The stunning conclusion to Zenescope's epic horror/fantasy series is HERE! As the world teeters on the brink of the apocalypse itself, Patrick sets out to bring an end to Keres reign of terror no matter what the price. But in order to defeat death, he may have to make the greatest sacrifice.

• GOD IS DEAD #5 

1936182785?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936183223?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936185619?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) Jonathan Hickman

(A) Di Amorim

(CA) Jonathan Hickman

$3.99

The world is only hours away from Armageddon as the pantheons of Asgard and Olympus collide. With the first attempt at creating a god weapon resulting in the birth of Mammon, the enclave of scientists strikes a desperate stake as they hope they can create a being able to stand against the deities waging war across the globe. But tampering with the very stuff of gods is a dangerous game and the end result is nothing short of staggering. Join JONATHAN HICKMAN for the end of the world as God Is Dead rolls toward an unbelievable climax! Available with a Regular cover by Jonathan Hickman, End of Days cover, a premium Iconic card stock cover that is limited to just 5000 copies by Jacen Burrows, and a Pantheon Order Incentive cover by series artist Di Amorim.

I've just about talked myself into buying the trade for this. It sounds like a comic-book I would have tried to write and draw when I was 12, only by people who are really good at making comic books!

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180GOLDEN AGE GREATS SPOTLIGHT VOL 14

1936185685?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AC COMICS

(W) Ware James & Various

(A) George Tuska & Various

(CA) Fran Smith

$29.95

Full coverage of this bizarre, sometimes forgotten but historically important publisher. Text overview plus full-story reprints of Chesler characters including Dynamic Man, Rocketman, Black Dwarf, Madame Satan, Devils' Dagger, Veiled Avenger, Yankee Doodle Jones, Mr. E, Master Key, Dan Hastings, Sky Chief, The Echo, Yankee Boy, Johnny Rebel, Hale the Magician, Green Knight, and more!

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRAVEL COMBAT MAGICIAN #0

1936185891?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936187935?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936190181?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) Mike Wolfer

(A/CA) Gabriel Rearte

$4.99

Gravel returns with a super-size launch issue and an all-new monthly series! Mike Wolfer has worked on every issue of Gravel to date, and he's back to his black magic ways, joined by artist Gabriel Rearte who is conjuring stunning pages! This #0 is a perfect starting place for new readers, with a self-contained story and a huge what-has-come-before summary of all the previous Gravel issues. After dismantling the aristocratic, magical hierarchy of England and surviving a war against a blood-thirsty serial killer, William Gravel disappeared. But even a man who can walk through walls cannot escape Combat Magic-fueled assassins. And he's not happy about it. Written by long-time Warren Ellis collaborator MIKE WOLFER, GRAVEL: COMBAT MAGICIAN presents a fresh starting point for new readers to enter the world of ultra-violent black magic. Available with a Regular cover by artist Gabriel Rearte, Wraparound, Horror and a Black Magic Order Incentive cover by Wolfer.

If you're wondering why Warren Ellis' name is prominent on this book, it's because he's written all the previous appearances of the character, in miniseries titled Strange Kiss, Stranger Kisses and Strange Killings. I have those books, but it took a Google hit to remind me of them. Which, as I always say, is a review in itself.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM #9

1936190291?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Marc Gaffen, Kyle McVey

(A) Rod Rodolfo

(CA) Lucio Parillo

$3.99

The Portland Police Department finds itself in disarray as a mysterious, hulking Wesen starts picking off cops one by one in its frantic search for the "Grimm." With his fellow officers caught in the crossfire, Nick must throw himself headfirst into danger if he has any hope to stop the monster before it claims another colleague's life.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180HARBINGER #20

1936190485?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936192479?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936194599?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JOSHUA DYSART

Art & Cover by CLAYTON HENRY

Interlocking Pullbox Variant by ZACHARY MONTOYA

Variant Cover by KHARI EVANS

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

Valiant is proud to announce that acclaimed artist Clayton Henry (Harbinger Wars, Archer & Armstrong) has signed on as the publisher's next exclusive artist for the launch of "Resistance" – a brand new story arc beginning this January in Harbinger #20!

Henry joins artists Doug Braithwaite (Unity), Trevor Hairsine (Eternal Warrior), and Cary Nord (X-O Manowar), as well as New York Times best-selling writer Joshua Dysart (Harbinger, Bloodshot and H.A.R.D. Corps) and acclaimed colorist Brian Reber (Unity), as the latest addition to Valiant's roster of exclusive talent.

The best-selling Harbinger Wars creative team of Dysart and Henry will reunite for "Resistance" – an all-new jumping on point that will lead Peter Stanchek and the Renegades into the final act of their crusade against Toyo Harada…and introduce an unlikely new ally into their growing battle against the Harbinger Foundation.

Peter Stanchek and his team of teenage superhuman outlaws have decided that the best defense is a strong offense. Pursued from coast-to-coast by their would-be overlord in the Harbinger Foundation, the Renegades are about to launch a strategic strike on Harada's secret empire – and they'll start by revealing to the world just what kind of power they've been hiding all along. The ace up their sleeve?

A whistleblower named Ax has just unleashed a secret with the potential to change the course of human history – superhumans walk among us … and billionaire philanthropist Toyo Harada may just be the most powerful of them all. As a "psiot" with nearly unlimited telekinetic potential, Harada and his secret Harbinger Foundation have shaped the world from the shadows for more than half a century, using their abilities to secretly control the balance of power. Treason. Conspiracy. Mass murder. Harada's crimes are too numerous to count … but he won't be held accountable by the laws of mortal men. Instead, he's about to seize the opportunity to inflict his agenda on the governments of the world … and his former protege Peter Stanchek will soon become humanity's only hope of nullifying a tyrant from whom no secret is safe.

The Valiant Universe discovers the true of face of its very first super-villain – and meets the Renegades who would oppose him – when "RESISTANCE" ushers in humanity's next great upheaval!

As the latest installment of the MUST READ VALIANT campaign, Harbinger #20 is a perfect introduction to the series that Comic Vine says "[will] leave your jaw on the floor.

"This arc will be incredibly new-reader friendly... We've built a lot of great jumping-on points into the previous issues, but this will be the easiest one yet. If you've haven't read the book, this is the one to try. If friends haven't read the book, this is the one to hand to them," Dysart told Comic Vine.

For more information on Harbinger and the rest of the Valiant Universe, visit Valiant on Facebook, on Twitter, and at ValiantUniverse.com.

For Valiant merchandise and more, visit Valiant.CinderBlock.com.

I doubt anyone read all that stuff above -- it's three or four press releases written together -- but the upshot is that Peter Stanchek's last resort in battling Toyo Harada is outing him as a "psiot." And the thing is, the previews have indicate that Harada is, in fact, going to reveal his powers and intentions to the world! That's going to change everything in the Valiant Universe, which is one of the things I really like about this company: They don't offer the illusion of change -- things actually change.

1936196772?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936196924?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936197269?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936197300?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936197508?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936199554?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936201606?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936201624?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936203988?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936204008?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936204144?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936204248?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180HEARTS TOON BOOKS YR HC GN

1936206476?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Thereza Rowe

$12.95

When Penelope the Fox drops her heart into the sea, she's swept off on a perilous journey, dodging sharks and royal cat-guards until a cartwheeling chicken leads her to the land of lost things. Young readers will fall in love with Thereza Rowe's bold and playful designs. And as they follow Penelope (and her heart!), they will learn what is truly precious.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180HELLRAISER DARK WATCH #12

1936208968?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Clive Barker, Brandon Seifert

(A) Tom Garcia

(CA) Sami Makkonen

$3.99

FINAL ISSUE. The war between Hells reaches its climax, and the fates of Elliott Spencer, Kirsty Cotton, and Harry D'Amour hang in the balance.

As someone posted the last time a Clive Barker book shipped: "Clive Barker's still alive?" That made me laugh. But it also made me think. Isn't this about the third or fourth time that a line based on Barker concepts has been canceled? (Notwithstanding Clive Barker's Testament above, which I would not be surprised to see canceled soon.) And, outside of the movie series with the guy that has nails in his face, has Barker had a successful concept in any medium? I'm beginning to think he's a one-hit wonder. Any Barker fans want to rise to his defense?

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180HIS FAVORITE VOL 6 GN

1936211084?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Suzuki Tanaka

$12.99

Awkward Yoshida's life got fl ipped upside down when the hottest guy in school started hanging around him. Sato may have strong feelings for Yoshida, but he always loves expressing them in the cruelest ways possible. Just what happened in Sato's childhood to shape him into the man he is today?

I always say I'm glad to see books out there that I would never read, and Yaoi certainly qualifies in that regard. So I'm glad these books exist, at least in theory. Judging from the number of Yaoi books showing up these days, there must be an awful lot of readers out there who buy them, too.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180HYPERNATURALS VOL 3 TP

1936211207?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning

(A) Tom Derenick, Andres Guinaldo

(CA) Francesco Mattina

$16.99

With the galaxy on the brink of complete destruction and nowhere else to turn, the Hypernaturals must work with their most dangerous enemy if they want to save the Quantinuum. It's a fight for survival as the world as we know it teeters on the edge of annihilation..
    Collecting 9-12 of the critically acclaimed series, THE HYPERNATURALS VOLUME THREE sees Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, the superstar writing duo behind ANNIHILATION and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, team up with fan-favorite artists Tom Derenick (JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA) and Andres Guinaldo (NIGHTWING) to take cosmic superheroes
    to an all-new frontier!

You know, with the Infinity story in Avengers, this seems kinda superfluous. Why would I want to read about faux Avengers in cosmic battle when I can read about the real Avengers in cosmic battle? Unless it's funny. I might get it if it's funny.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180IMAGINE AGENTS #4

1936211236?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Brian Joines

(A) Bachan

(CA) Khary Randolph

$3.99

Dapple's plan has taken a turn for the worse, and no man, woman, or figment is safe! With Elliot in the clutches of evil and Furdlegurr in the stomach of evil, Rebecca and Terry must find a way to rescue them without getting stomped out in the process. It is up to Dave to overcome his resentment of figments and work with Blounder to take Dapple down once and for all.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180JENNIFER BLOOD #35

1936213524?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Michael Carroll

(A) Kewber Baal

(CA) Colton Worley

$3.99

As the Blood Legacy arc reaches its climax, Jennifer comes face-to-face with her nemesis in a blood-drenched conflict that leads her to finally confront the shocking reality of what she has become, and the true cost of her quest for revenge.

The more I read about this series, the more it seems like the kind of downbeat drama that mostly only the cable networks dare to do, like Breaking Bad, The Americans, The Border and that sort of thing. I've asked before and gotten no response, but is anyone reading this? I'm starting to get intrigued.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180JUGHEAD DOUBLE DIGEST #199

1936213590?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS

Script: Craig Boldman

Art: Rex Lindsey, Rich Koslowski, Jack Morelli, and Barry Grossman

Cover: Fernando Ruiz, Bob Smith, Rosario “Tito” Peña

160-page, full color comic, $3.99 US.

Ever wonder how a small town like Riverdale manages to stay local and keep big name chain stores away? Well, it’s a bit of an odd story—and Jughead has everything to do with it! Find out how Jughead shaped the financial model of the town in “Give Me a Sign”!

After Afterlife with Archie, I may not be able to look at Jughead's outsize appetite the same way again.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180LENORE VOLUME II #9

1936215819?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN

(W/A/CA) Roman Dirge

$3.99

Taxidermy is missing and Lenore has an important question for him, so she forces Pooty and Ragamuffin to join her in a mighty quest, dressed as fantasy heroes, to rescue their lost friend from the evil clutches of something that is clutch-y. What obstacles will be thrown in the path of our brave and noble warriors? Honestly, no idea yet.

I've been enjoying the collections of the series, which stars a dead girl (technically a zombie, I suppose) who lives in a haunted house in a dark enchanted forest, and has adventures with demons, vampires and the like. It's really rather charming albeit a bit gross in a 10-year-old-boy sort of way.

That's not to everyone's taste. I'm weird enough to like it, though.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180LIL BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #1

1936215900?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936217892?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Art Baltazar, Franco

(A) Art Baltazar

$3.99

AW YEAH BATTLESTAR GALACTICA! The search for Earth continues in this awesome epic event of tiny proportions! Who are these Cylons? Are they friends or foes? Does complaining to daddy Adama help or make things worse? Fear not, Apollo and Starbuck are here to save the day! Find out the answers to questions you've always wanted answered: How old do you have to be to ride a colonial viper? Is there a height requirement? And what does Baltar have to say in all of this? And where do Baby Cylons come from? Come join the new and smaller adventures aboard the Battlestar Galactica. And if that isn't enough, each Li'l book comes with a two-page activity sheet!

I thought DC was pushing "Aw Yeah!" as a catchphrase for the Li'l Titans, but apparently Art Baltazar takes it with him wherever he goes.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180MEGA MAN #33

1936220372?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936220488?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS

Script: Ian Flynn

Art: Brent McCarthy, Gary Martin, John Workman and Matt Herms

Cover: Brent McCarthy

"BOX ART MEGA MAN" Variant cover: Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante

32-page, full color comic, $2.99 U.S.

The critically acclaimed Mega Man series continues with the dramatic, action-packed epilogue to the "BLACKOUT: THE CURSE OF RA MOON" storyline in, "Unplugged"! The battle against the sinister alien being known as Ra Moon has ended, and Mega Man's final fate remains in doubt! With major repairs looming, and Rock's future as a super fighting robot in question, Dr. Light must work to restore our hero to his former glory. This may be a job that even Dr. Light can’t handle, but at least he’s got some help from his trusty pal Dr. Wily. WAIT A MINUTE—DR. WILY?! Why on earth is the evil scientist helping to save the Blue Bomber? And how far will Dr. Wily go to remain free? Featuring cover art from Brent McCarthy and a special "BOX ART MEGA MAN" variant cover from Mega Man artist supreme Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante!

1936222635?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936222766?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936224802?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936227077?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936227339?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• MISS FURY #8

1936185603?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936185621?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936188009?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936188091?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Rob Williams

(A) Jackson Herbert

(CA) Billy Tan

$3.99

The Pharoah of Time is alive and he and his enormous mothership have come to 1943's New York City for Miss Fury. But which one will he find? The immoral murderer with the samurai sword, the titanic stash of grenades and the epic love of debauchery? Or the Miss Fury who is lost in time, grasping for a sense of sanity and for the good inside her. It's a metaphysical battle played out wiith mondo martial arts as two futures of our hero fight for supremacy, and only one Miss Fury is getting out alive.

I may pick up a trade of this just to compare it to the Golden Age collections. Anyone know how much of the GA concept carried over?1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180NIGHTS GN

1936190384?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Kou Yoneda

$12.99

A collection of masterful, sensual stories by popular yaoi creator Kou Yoneda! In the title story, Masato Karashima is a "transporter," a man paid to smuggle anything from guns to drugs to people. When he's hired by yakuza gang member Masaki Hozumi, he finds himself attracted to the older man, and what starts out as a business transaction quickly spirals into a cat-and-mouse game of lust and deception. In "Emotion Spectrum," a high-school student tries to be a good wingman for a classmate, with an unexpected result, while "Reply" is told from the alternating perspectives of an emotionally reserved salesman and the shy mechanic who's in love with him.

More Yaoi.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180NOIR #3

1936192459?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Victor Gischler

(A) Andrea Mutti

(CA) Ardian Syaf

$3.99

The unlikely team of The Black Sparrow and Miss Fury strong arm the Mohawk Akash into revealing a map they hope will lead them to the lost treasure of the Templars. But is the map actually worthless without the rune codes? Their quest takes them deep into the wilderness and to an ancient place that's been locked away for centuries. Danger and betrayal lurk around every corner.

I wonder if Noir, Miss Fury and Catwoman all shop at the same store. Clearly, there was a sale somewhere on black cat-suits.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180PRINCELESS ENCORE EDITION #2

1936194567?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Jeremy Whitley

(A/CA) M Goodwin

$2.99

Now's your chance to experience Adrienne's Eisner-nominated first adventure again or for the first time. Adrienne is determined to save her youngest sister Appalonia, but to do so she's going to have to raid her own family's castle and face the scariest guardian of all - her father!

From what I can gather, here's another example of sort-of fairy tales where the girls realize they need princes like a fish needs a bicycle (See: Frozen, Brave.)

Since I've never actually seen a copy of an Action Lab comic book -- my LCS orders very conservatively -- I can really only guess. But Jamal Igle's new publishing arm seems to be doing its best to be quirky and diiferent from other comics.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180REGULAR SHOW #8

1936194674?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Nick Sumida, Kevin Burkhalter (A) Allison Strejlau, Kevin Burkhalter (CA) Lydia Paige, Reed Black

$3.99

The newest issue of this not so regular REGULAR SHOW comic once again takes Mordecai and Rigby on an adventure that could only be found in a comic book! A great series for fans of slacker comedy, 80's humor and awesome, one-art!

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROVER RED CHARLIE #2

1936195052?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936196900?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) Garth Ennis

(A/CA) Michael DiPascale

$3.99

Three canine best friends try to make their way at the end of the world. Having fled the death and destruction of the city, Rover, Red, and Charlie find that feeders aren't the only ones you can't trust in this topsy-turvy world. When they meet up with a wary hisspot, they find out that this new world order is even crazier than they could imagine. GARTH ENNIS - the father of Preacher and Crossed - delivers a story like no other, as an unlikely band of canines set out to survive in a world gone horribly mad and fully-painted by Michael Dipascale. Step into the mind of man's best friend! Available with a Regular, Wraparound, and a Dog Days Order Incentive cover by series artist Michael Dipascale.

If this is half as good as WE3, then I will certainly pick it up. What can I say? I love dogs.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROY THOMAS PRESENTS CLASSIC PHANTOM LADY VOL 3 TP

1936197181?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Roy Thomas

(A) Matt Baker, Carmine Infantino

(CA) Matt Baker

$24.99

She was not only the scourge of wrongdoers but also the nemesis of a good night's sleep for all red-blooded teenagers way back in the far-out fifties! With her modern-day counterpart now residing in the DC Universe, these classic Phantom Lady tales from half a century ago are guaranteed to set pulses racing. Containing stories from the following issues: All Top Comics issues #8-17, Farrell Publication's Phantom Lady issues #1-4, and Wonder Boy issues #17 and #18.

This is Volume Two in the hardback series. Color me confused.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROY THOMAS PRESENTS PLANET COMICS SLIPCASE EDITION VOL 2

1936199425?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(A) Arthur Peddy & Various

$64.99

More "out of this world" yarns from the heroes (and heroines!) of the spaceways that appeared from Fiction House over a thirteen-year period ending in 1953. They're all here: Flint Baker, Reef Ryan, The Space Rangers, Gale Allen, Star Pirate, Mysta of the Moon, Norge Benson, plus many more. This slipcased edition collects issues #5-8 (May 1940 to August 1940).

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHADOW NOW #4

1936199559?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) David Liss (A) Colton Worley

(CA) Tim Bradstreet

$3.99

Uneasy alliances abound as Khan, pursing his own dangerous endgame, places the assassination of the Shadow in Batu's hands. As Batu bristles under her grandfather's watchful eye, she forms a dangerous partnership with a local gang leader who claims to have the key to defeating the Shadow. Meanwhile, the Shadow draws both the Russian and Vietnamese mafias into his orbit, preparing to turn rivals into deadly enemies. Long-plotted schemes come to fruition as the Shadow moves to defeat his greatest enemy!

Lord, I love me some Tim Bradstreet covers.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180SIMPSONS COMICS #208

1936201572?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BONGO COMICS

(W) Ian Boothby, John Delaney

$2.99

Bart is separated from his family at the airport, gets on the wrong flight, and ends up in a seat reserved for a boy his age named "Brit" Simpson, ending up in England. Once there, Bart finds himself in the town of Springshire, where everything looks and everyone acts all too familiar. He even has to evade the evil Sideshow Bobby, a former police officer with a grudge against Brit.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180SIXTH GUN #37

1936201639?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

(W) Cullen Bunn

(A/CA) Brian Hurtt

$3.99

Drake and Becky lead a posse in pursuit of their enemies-and they've found them! Beset on all sides by murderous enemies, Becky has her final showdown with Missy Hume. And if that wasn't enough... in the midst of a deadly shoot-out... our heroes are betrayed by one of their own!

I'm guessing she doesn't get very many second dates.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #256

1936204004?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936206168?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS

Script: Ian Flynn 

Art: Jerry Gaylord, Terry Austin, John Workman, and Steve Downer

Cover: Ben Bates

End of the World Variant Cover: Tracy Yardley!, Phyllis Novin and Dustin Evans

32-page, full color comic 

$2.99 U.S.

It's the dramatic conclusion to the epic "Countdown to Chaos" SAGA! In Part Four, it’s a race against time as the countdown reaches its thrilling end! Metal Sonic is out to kill Sally and the Death Egg II has launched—things are not going well for our true blue hero! Can he and Tails get to the Aquatic Ruins Zone in time to save the day? And what horrifying discovery awaits Dr. Eggman? You definitely won’t want to miss this earth-shattering climax of the storyline that shook the Sonic comic books to the core! Featuring the final adjoining cover in the series from artist Ben Bates, and a special "end of the world" variant cover from Tracy Yardley!

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180STITCHED #18

1936208941?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936209256?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936212279?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) Mike Wolfer

(A/CA) Fernando Heinz Furukawa

$3.99

It's all been leading to this! The final showdown between the Shinju-kai and the newly transformed "Stitches" begins here. Kenji Nakamura leads his supernatural samurai into the very heart of the Shinju-kai office building, but he doesn't know that the Shinju-kai have prepared for the assault. Betrayal is the order of the day and no one but Katsumi knows the hideous secrets of the Stitched! Available with a Regular, Wraparound, Gore, and special Slashed Incentive cover by series artist Fernando Furukawa.

This isn't more torture porn, is it? Those covers are uncomfortably close to those on Crossed.

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNITY #3

1936214345?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936216770?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936216849?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936217022?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by MATT KINDT

Art & Cover by DOUG BRAITHWAITE

Variant Cover by J.G. JONES

Variant Cover by SHANE DAVIS

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

Enter: Livewire!

On an airtight team of stone-cold soldiers, Amanda McKee is the one variable in the equation that equals absolute kill. Now, as the last woman standing against the unstoppable force known as X-O Manowar, the Harbinger Foundation's most seasoned technopath has just added one new item to her resume – newest bearer of the X-O Manowar armor and the finger behind the trigger of the universe's most powerful weapon. Watch out world…this means trouble.

I'm trade-waiting so I'm utterly ignorant, but columnist Chris Fluit says this title is a winner. Here are some preview pages if you're on the fence:

1936219168?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936221383?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936223483?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936225662?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936225787?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936227909?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x180WARLORD OF MARS #32

1936230004?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936231877?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936231961?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801231446?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936233840?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Arvid Nelson

(A) Wagner Reis

(CA) Joe Jusko, Lucio Parrillo

$3.99

John Carter has spilled blood in the service of Helium. But for thousands of years before his arrival, his adopted homeland suffered at the hands of Mars' other races. Now, his victories have awakened a legendary hero... one with a genocidal agenda of payback! When Carter protests, he finds himself on the run alongside his family. With no friends to turn to, alliances must be made with old enemies!

If I ran into someone who only had the CENSORED covers in his collection, I think I'd be a little concerned.

• Captain Comics said:

Wait -- you can't change Batgirl's outfit! What about all those statues? Those action figures? Alicia Silverstone in Batman & Robin? (OK, you can skip that last one.)

I imagine that if this really is a costume change, Barbara Gordon will revert back to her black-and-golds eventually.

But first they have to sell a lot of statues and action figures with THIS outfit.

• Don't worry too much about Batgirl's costume. It's part of Gothtopia which the first part was in last week's Detective Comics #27. It's an alternate/imaginary/I don't know what story.

• Only 6 DC titles this week and one is Astro City. Am I not "getting" the DCnU? Am I that trapped in the past? Or have I finally decided that DC Comics is not going where I particularly want to go?

I'm on board with the Creature Commandos TPB, of course!

My least favorite Marvel character is a toss up between Cable and Deadpool. I can handle the Punisher in small doses.

It's one thing for Marvel to put a book out on a Disney property; it's quite another to put one out on a Disney property that was NEVER produced! It feels like they're testing the waters if pure Disney comic books will sell again.

This reply was deleted.