Welcome to Comics Guide Airlines! I'm your pilot, Captain Comics. This is an excellent flight, with lots to see, but as usual we have a few words about safety:

1. Remember that clicking on art will get you a larger version, so don't hurt your eyes squinting at the thumbnail!

2. We have separated Action Lab, Archie and Dynamite out of the "Other Publishers" list into their own sections because ... well, because. I do have their solicitations, so it's easy.

3. I will add any previews that arrive on Monday and Tuesday.

4. Remember to leave your flight attendant in his or her original upright position!

Here we go:

THE CAPTAIN'S PICKS

MIRACLEMAN #2

THE ORIGINAL WRITER & MICK ANGLO (W)

GARRY LEACH, ALAN DAVIS, PAUL NEARY, STEVE DILLON & MICK ANGLO (A)

ISSUE #2 – COVER BY ALAN DAVIS

VARIANT COVER BY ARTHUR ADAMS

VARIANT COVER BY MIKE PERKINS

VARIANT COVER BY MIKE MCKONE

SKETCH VARIANT BY ALAN DAVIS

48 PGS./Parental Advisory…$4.99

• KIMOTA! With one magic word, a long-forgotten legend lives again!

• Freelance reporter Michael Moran always knew he was meant for something more -- now, a strange series of events leads him to reclaim his destiny!

• Relive the ground-breaking eighties adventures that captured lightning in a bottle -- or experience them for the first time -- in these digitally restored, fully relettered editions!

• Issue 1 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #1 and MIRACLEMAN #1, plus the MARVELMAN PRIMER. Issue #2 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #1-5, plus bonus material.

Somone asked on this board if Miracleman could possibly have the same impact now as it did when it first came out. And no, I can't imagine that it would, since all its coolest stuff has been cannibalized over the years to the point where the title is no longer avant-garde. But that question is apparently pretty common, as I've seen a half dozen articles on the Internet the last few weeks by fanboys coming to Miracleman's defense. That's as it should be -- maybe Miracleman won't blow people's doors off today like it did in the 1980s, but it's still a historically significant book that changed the way people looked at superheroes.

ACTION LAB

FINAL PLAGUE #4

(W) J. D. Arnold

(A/CA) Tony Guaraldi-Brown

$2.99

Monkeys on the loose in New Jersey! The hounds are released in Iowa! And in Chicago - Lions, Tigers, and Bears! Oh my! The final plague continues to spread. Panic has gripped the globe, and the world begins to burn.

The next issue has a zombie tiger on the cover, and this month we have a zombie lion. You know, I haven't read this book, so I may be missing the point, but aren't lions and tigers pretty lethal when they AREN'T zombies? But we don't worry about them, because our odds of meeting one -- zombie plague or not -- are pretty minuscule.

What would scare me, if animals turned zombie, are all the animals we DO meet on a daily basis that are ordinarly NOT lethal, but now would be. Dogs, cats, raccoons, squirrels ... we would literally be eaten alive. Worst of all? Zombie rats. Think about thousands of zombie rats scrambling out of the sewers with a mad urge to eat us. Now THAT'S scary.

FRACTURE ENCORE EDITION ONE-SHO

(W) Shawn Gabborin

(A/CA) Chad Cicconi

$3.99

Just in time for Fracture Volume 2, see where the story began with this encore edition of Fracture Volume 1 #1! In the metropolis of Lower Triton, the city's greatest hero, Virtue, its nastiest villain, Malice, and an everyman named Jeff have something very important in common. They're all the same guy - and none of them knows it until now!

ARCHIE COMICS

ARCHIE DOUBLE DIGEST #248

Script: Mike Pellowski

Art: Fernando Ruiz, Jim Amash, Bill Yoshida, and Barry Grossman

Cover: Fernando Ruiz, Bob Smith, Rosario “Tito” Peña

160-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

Get ready for a wild ride filled with action and adventure! Journey along with Archie as he embarks on the dangerous task of… watering the plants?! Leave it to Archie to make household chores exciting! Find out if it’s a job well done in “Green Thumb Dumb,” the lead story to a hilarious double digest!

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG ARCHIVES 22 TPB

Publisher: ARCHIE COMIC PUBLICATIONS

Script & Art: Various

Cover: Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante

$7.99/$8.99CAN

5 x 7 3/8”

Trade Paperback, 112pp, Full Color

Archie's bestselling Sonic Archives graphic novel series continues! Get ready for super Sonic adventure as Sonic and his Freedom Fighter friends continue their battle in the lost city of Station Square amidst its mysterious human inhabitants! Buckle up for the dramatic conclusion to the Sonic Adventure videogame tie-in story as Super Sonic and Knuckles take on the gigantic monster Perfect Chaos in a battle that will leave you breathless! SONIC ARCHIVES VOLUME 22 collects SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #83-84 and SONIC SUPER SPECIAL #13.

DARK HORSE COMICS

CONAN AND THE PEOPLE OF THE BLACK CIRCLE #4 (of 4)

CONAN’S LAST STAND!

Fred Van Lente (W) and Ariel Olivetti (A/Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Miniseries

To rescue the captive Devi Yasmina, Conan will have to overcome the malicious magicks of the Black Seers of Yimsha. But even if he can defeat the foul sorcerers in their own mountain fortress, he must still contend with their even more formidable master!

• From the celebrated team behind Hercules and Hulk!

“Ariel Olivetti’s art is simply beautiful.”—Comic Book Resources

FURIOUS #1 (of 5)

RAGE FUELED JUSTICE!

Bryan J. L. Glass (W)

Victor Santos (A/Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

Staring into a fractured mirror of her life, the world’s first superhero, Furious, seeks to atone for her past sins by doling out rage-fueled justice! But the spotlight of our celebrity-obsessed media threatens to undo her noblest efforts and expose her true identity before she can achieve redemption.

• From Bryan J. L. Glass and Victor Santos the creative team of Mice Templar!

• Furious is where celebrity, fame, and superheroes meet.

This isn't the first time the idea of superhero-as-celebrity has been explored -- Marvel's X-Statix and Image's Ultra leap to mind -- but I think the concept is more in tune with our times than the "dark avenger of the night" mystery-man image left over from the '40s, the super-cop of the '60s or even the dark anti-hero of the '80s and '90s. Which is not to say I will necessarily enjoy this -- I'm not too fond of our fame-crazed pop culture, and still can't force myself to watch reality shows.

GANTZ VOLUME 30 TP

ALIEN HELL!

Hiroya Oku (W/A)

B&W, 192 pages, $13.99

TP, 5 1/8” x 7 1/16”

As masses of helpless humans are brought aboard the gigantic alien mothership, the horror on the ground below looks like a picnic compared to what the monstrous invaders have in store for their prisoners. But despite the odds, Kei Kurono has infiltrated the mothership and its alien city, and he may have only one chance to find his lost love before she suffers a bizarre fate worse than death!

Gantz has sold over fifteen million copies in Japan!

• Popular anime series and live-action feature.

Gantz is unrelenting.”—Manga HelpersNEVER ENDING #3 (of 3)

HOW DO YOU KILL AN UNKILLABLE MAN?

Adam Knave (W), D. J. Kirkbride (W), and Robert Love (A/C/Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

It’s all down to this: the driven-yet-demented hero Chuck Baxter versus mortality and his own superpowers! Can evil scientist Archibald McCrae achieve his life’s goal and kill the earth’s only unkillable man? And when Chuck’s past comes to haunt him, how will he respond? Either way, this is the end.

• The Eisner and Harvey Award–winning writers behind Amelia Cole deliver their first superhero adventure!

SERENITY: LEAVES ON THE WIND #1 (of 6)

ZACK WHEDON WRITES THE CANONICAL FOLLOW-UP TO THE FILM!

Zack Whedon (W), Georges Jeanty (P/Variant cover), Karl Story (I), Laura Martin (C/Variant cover), and Dan Dos Santos (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Miniseries

Malcolm Reynolds’s crew shook the ’verse to its core when they laid bare the crimes against humanity undertaken by their sinister government—the Alliance. Always outlaws, Mal, a very pregnant Zoe, new pilot River Tam, and the other surviving crew members are in greater danger than ever. Meanwhile, everyone is asking the same question . . .

• Buffy’s Season 8 and 9 artist conquers the galaxy!

• Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

“As a science fiction story, Serenity has it all.”—Broken Frontier

Where’s Serenity?

SLEDGEHAMMER 44: LIGHTNING WAR #3 (of 3)

MIKE MIGNOLA’S IRON SOLDIER TAKES ON THE NAZIS!

Mike Mignola (W), John Arcudi (W), Laurence Campbell (A/Cover), and Dave Stewart (C)

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Miniseries

A battle between the Black Flame and the iron soldier known as Sledgehammer heats up as the fight over a cutting-edge American warplane explodes in the sky!

• From the pages of Hellboy!

“Mignola has hit a home run with [Sledgehammer].”—Comic Bastards

“Mignola has, seemingly without effort, created another iconic superhero.”—Geeks Unleashed

Yes, this does seem like "Iron Man in World War II" at first blush, but remember that Iron Man himself had predecessors in the '40s, like "Electro, the Marvel of the Age!" And this is by Mike Mignola, so it's bound to be a different take than straightforward superheroics. Wherever this gets collected, I'll be there to buy it.

Views: 829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I get a sense they're more romantically involved than you indicate (I've never read any of the pulps), at least in the main Shadow series...and then there's that I'm not sure what's going on thing going on with Margo's granddaughter in The Shadow Now mini - but the Shadow does seem attracted to her.  So, definitely more romance going on in the current comics..

Captain Comics said:

Is the comic similar, or does it suggest a different relationship between Shadow and Margo?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service