Comics Guide for July 1, 2015

DARK HORSE

AGE OF REPTILES: ANCIENT EGYPTIANS #2 (OF 4)

I've enjoyed the first two issues, which have are basically Darwinian tales of survival, as various lizards vie for their next meal. There's been no explanation for the title as yet, so I must assume that these stories are set in the Egypt of 65 million years ago, using the dinosaurs the fossil record indicates were there.

Writer/Art/Cover: RICARDO DELGADO

Colors: RYAN HILL

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

Ricardo Delgado delivers a stunning, elaborate prehistoric parable that evokes classic spaghetti westerns and noble samurai tales of yore! Traveling through a dense swamp teeming with primordial danger, a solitary Spinosaurus aegyptiacus is the unpredictable and deadly antihero of Age of Reptiles: Ancient Egyptians.

The Eisner-winning wordless series returns!

GO HERE FOR AN 8-PAGE PREVIEW

ARCHIE ARCHIVES VOLUME 11 (HC)

After a brief detour for Jughead Archives Vol. 1, Archie Archives continues apace. Given that Jughead was awarded his own Archives (and I've seen indications of a Reggie Archives in the works for the short-lived Reggie and Me), I wonder how future reprints will be arranged. Will Life with Archie be reprinted in Archie Archives, or will it be given its own series? What about Archie's Madhouse? What about Li'l Archie? Will there be a separate Betty & Veronica Archives, and will it contain books like Betty and Me? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Writers: BILL WOGGON, RAY GILL, SCOTT FLEMING

Art: BILL WOGGON, RAY GILL, AL FAGALY, BILL VIGODA, SAMM SCHWARTZ, IRVING NOVICK JOE EDWARDS

FC, 232 pages, $59.99

HC, 7″ x 10″

America’s typical teen is back to get into way more than a typical share of trouble, and he’s brought all his pals, as the voracious Jughead and the lovely Betty and Veronica get their own hilarious spotlight stories! The whole gang’s at it again with over two hundred pages of classic, gut-busting antics! Collecting Archie Comics #35–#36, Pep Comics #70–#72, and Laugh Comics #29–#31!

• Early stories from Archie legend Samm Schwartz!

• Includes vintage game pages and ads!

GO HERE FOR A 7-PAGE PREVIEW

BARB WIRE #1

I read the first issue, and I have to say I was a bit disappointed. There's really nothing new here -- it's just a reboot of the old Barb Wire, part of Dark Horse's long-vanished "Comics' Greatest World" imprint. And, I hate to say it, but Barb Wire isn't a world-beater in either incarnation, in a couple of senses of the word.

The premise of Barb Wire is that she's a bounty hunter in a world with super-powers. She doesn't have any of her own, but her targets appear to be low-intelligence lowlifes, so she can outsmart their powers and cuff 'em. Is visiting the bottom of a pond interesting? Not to me.

Further, Barb owns a bar in the wrong part of town with lousy clientele that doesn't make much money, but to which she is inexplicably, fiercely attached. She's not really in control there as much as she'd like: In first issue, two super-powered gang leaders essentially bully Barb and her staff into giving them whatever they want, and then decide to throw down against each other, potentially wrecking the bar. Barb is helpless to prevent any of this. Is helplessness interesting? Not to me.

At the end of the issue, what I decided is that if Barb wasn't gorgeous, there would be no book about her. If Barb Wire weighed 250 pounds and her a face reflected a long life of getting hit, there would be no reason to publish a series about her, as she isn't intrinsically interesting. At least not to me.

And I think the days are over, if they ever existed, when a girl's "super power" was her looks. Yes, the Adam Hughes covers are freakin' gorgeous. But is that enough to carry a series? Not to me.

Writer: CHRIS WARNER

Pencils: PATRICK OLLIFFE

Inks: TOM NGUYEN

Colors: GABE ELTAEB

Covers: ADAM HUGHES

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing 

Nail-hard tough and drop-dead gorgeous, Barb Wire is the baddest bounty hunter on the mean streets of Steel Harbor, where gangsters can lift bulldozers and leap rusting factories in a single bound. The hunting is stupid good and the bounties are hella big -- if Barb lives long enough to collect!

• Covers by Adam Hughes!

• Price box, barcode, etc., will appear on the back cover.

GO HERE FOR A 4-PAGE PREVIEW

DC COMICS

ABSOLUTE Y: THE LAST MAN VOL. 1 (HC)

If you are a long-timer on this board, you know that I was not this series' biggest fan, but Legionnaire and fellow columnist Chris Fluit loved it. Is it a generational thing? Probably. But even I recommend you read it, just to try it, because the writing and art are top-flight. If you're a fan or haven't read it yet, here's a way to collect the series in gorgeous, long-lasting hardback.

Written by BRIAN K. VAUGHAN

Art by PIA GUERRA, JOSE MARZAN, JR. and PAUL CHADWICK

Cover by J.G. JONES

512 pg, 8.25” x 12.5” FC, $125.00 US • MATURE READERS

This is the saga of Yorick Brown, the only survivor of a plague that kills every mammal with a Y chromosome. Accompanied by his pet monkey, Ampersand, a mysterious government agent and a brilliant young geneticist, Yorick travels the world in search of his lost love and the answer to why he’s the last man on earth.

ACTION COMICS #42

A lot of DC books will have "Teen Titans Go" variants this month. Dunno why this one qualifies, as neither Superman nor Doomsday have been in any incarnation of the Teen Titans. But here it is.

Written by GREG PAK

Art and cover by AARON KUDER

TEEN TITANS GO! Variant cover by DAN HIPP

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

This issue will arrive in stores with two covers.

The Superman epic you never expected – “TRUTH” continues! Who will stand by Clark Kent?

BAT-MITE #2

Ooooh! Lotsa Hawkmen! How can that make sense? It probably doesn't! Count me in!

Written by DAN JURGENS

Art and cover by CORIN HOWELL

32 pg, 2 of 6, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

Bat-Mite assists Batman on yet another case … whether the Dark Knight needs his help or not. This time, it leads the imp to the diabolical Doctor Trauma, who has terrible plans in store for Hawkman!

BIZARRO #2

I don't know if this book is good or not yet. But good, bad or indifferent, it's bound to give us a lot of memorable covers like this one.

Poor Jimmy Olsen! In the Silver Age he was turned into a giant turtle monster and had to marry gorillas. In the new movies he's been replaced by a girl.  Now he's baby-sitting Bizarro. The kid can't catch a break!

Written by HEATH CORSON

Art and cover by GUSTAVO DUARTE

32 pg, FC, 2 of 6, $2.99 US • RATED E

It am a good day to die! Bizarro and Jimmy am all that stand in the way of world destruction!

DETECTIVE COMICS #42

That does NOT look like a practical workout.

Written by FRANCIS MANAPUL and BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art by FERNANDO BLANCO

Cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

TEEN TITANS GO! Variant cover by DAN HIPP

The all-new Batman tries to find his place in Gotham City! But how can he manage his already uneasy relationship with the GCPD?

GREEN ARROW #42

More "Teen Titans Go."

Written by BEN PERCY

Art and cover by PATRICK ZIRCHER

TEEN TITANS GO! Variant cover by CRAIG ROUSSEAU

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Green Arrow strikes out against the forces that have been threatening to rip Seattle apart!

GREEN LANTERN #42

If a power ring can't stop you from turning into stone, what good is it?

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by BILLY TAN and MARK IRWIN

Cover by BILLY TAN

TEEN TITANS GO! Variant cover by JORGE CORONA

This issue will ship with two covers.

Renegade Green Lantern Hal Jordan’s investigation into the disappearance of the Green Lantern Corps will have to wait – he has bigger problems on his hands. Inexplicably, entire worlds are being turned to stone. But before Hal can discover the cause, he’ll have to face a criminal gang that’s pursuing him across the universe!

LOBO #8

Are those spiders on the girl's back? SQUASHED spiders? Ewwwww!

Written by CULLEN BUNN

Art and cover by CLIFF RICHARDS

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

Lobo battles fiendish robotic surgeons in the horrific “flesh factory”!

SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP #11

Secret Squirrel?!??? Man, does THAT make me feel old!

Written by SHOLLY FISCH

Art and cover by DARIO BRIZUELA

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

When peace talks between two rival nations are threatened, the call goes out to the ultra-top-secret International Sneaky Service’s number one agent: Secret Squirrel! And since the thing threatening the talks is a medieval ghost, the call also goes out to the not-so-secret Scooby gang!

IDW PUBLISHING

CORTO MALTESE: BEYOND THE WINDY ISLES (TPB)

I really want to read these, but it's not in the budget. Darn it!

Writer/Art/Cover: HUGO PRATT

BW • $29.99 • 120 pages • 9.25” x 11.75” 

The second of twelve volumes presenting the definitive English-language edition of Hugo Pratt’s masterpiece in the original oversized B&W format!

• Frank Miller calls Hugo Pratt “one of the true masters of comic art.”

• Advance solicited for a May release!

• Translation by Dean Mullaney and Simone Castaldi.

• Set in 1917, this volume takes Corto Maltese from the Mosquito Coast to Barbados to a deadly struggle among Jivaro head-hunters in the Peruvian Amazon.

MICKEY MOUSE #1

Disney's flagship character joins the IDW line.

Writers: ANDREA "CASTY" CASTELLAN, BILL WALSH, JONATHAN GRAY

Art: GIORGIO CAVAZZANO, MANUEL GONZALES

Cover: ANDREA "CASTY" CASTELLAN

Subscription Variant: AMY MEBBERSON

FC • 48 pages • $3.99

When two-fisted Mickey hunts "The Lost Explorers' Trail," he isn't counting on help from jungle daredevil Eurasia Toft ... but here she is!

MIKE ZECK'S CLASSIC MARVEL STORIES ARTIST'S EDITION (HC)

Secret Wars may have hurt Mike Zeck's reputation with some, but to me it just looked rushed (and micro-managed). Zeck impressed the heck out of me on Master of Kung Fu and Captain America, and I will never forget how good he can be.

Writer: J.M. DEMATTEIS, STEVEN GRANT, DAVID ANTHONY KRAFT, JIM SHOOTER

Art/Cover: MIKE ZECK

HC • BW • $95.00 net discount item • 192 Pages • 12" x 17"

Mike Zeck is one of the classic artists of the 1980s, at the forefront of many of the best books and in demand by fans and editors alike. This unique Artist's Edition showcases some of Zeck's finest works—the first two issues of the initial Punisher miniseries, the first issue of Secret Wars, a classic two-part Captain America story (featuring Deathlok, Nick Fury and Spider-Man), and the first part of what is arguable one of the best Spider-Man sagas ever done ... Kraven's Last Hunt! Additionally, there are extensive covers throughout, including many of Zeck's best!

ONYX #1 (OF 4)

Here's a new title that owes a lot to Rom, Spaceknight -- writer Chris Ryall insists on this point in an afterword -- but features a girl in the armor. She's come to Earth to stop an infection that killed her world (Dire Wraiths!) and threatens to kill ours. She meets the usual band of plucky scientists and specialized soldiers who will aid her in this task (after the ritual mistrust). I can dig it, but what sells me is the art, which is very clean. modern and engaging.

Side note: A large number of IDW titles this month will have variant covers in the style of EC Comics. Some of them may be straight-out homages, but I imagine some will just harken to the style and not the content. You be the judge!

Writer: CHRIS RYALL

Art/Cover: GABRIEL RODRIGUEZ

Variant: ASHLEY WOOD

Variant: CHARLES PAUL WILSON III

EC Comics Subscription Variant: ALAN ROBINSON

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

From deepest space comes the cyborg warrior Onyx ... but has she come to Earth in its time of dire need to save it or to end it? A star-born knight for a new generation takes flight here!

Onyx tells the tale of a female metal-suited warrior who comes to Earth on a quest to either save the planet or destroy it. It’s up to a team of super-soldiers to figure out which before it’s too late, and before a much greater threat overwhelms both them and the planet itself.

Comics readers will be introduced to Onyx in a standalone 5-page story, Onyx #0, that will be included as a free bonus story in many of IDW’s May titles, including The Transformers, Dirk Gently, Star Trek and many others. This five-pager by Ryall and Rodriguez introduces the character in a deep space setting and serves to set the table for the adventures to follow in July’s Onyx #1 and beyond.

“Gabriel and I are excited to release Onyx into the wild, and even more excited to give readers and retailers alike this advance look at the character in Onyx #0,” said Chris Ryall, also IDW’s Chief Creative Officer. “That allows for a nice, risk-free way for people to take a look at her during the ordering period for Onyx #1. And it puts even more phenomenal Gabriel Rodriguez artwork out into the world, which is always a good thing.”

Onyx #1 (of 4) will feature a unique cover plan to help kick it off, too. In addition to Rodriguez’s stunning cover image, Onyx #1 will also feature covers by Ryall’s ZvR co-creator Ashley Wood, a “plush” version of the character by Charles Paul Wilson III, an EC Comics homage cover as part of IDW’s EC Comics tribute month by Alan Robinson and an incentive cover by Sal Buscema.

“To jump into an action packed sci-fi adventure is something I've been hoping for a chance to do for years,” said Gabriel Rodriguez, “and to have the opportunity to share this wild trip with longtime friend and collaborator Chris Ryall, with a creation of our own, is the perfect way to do it. And not only as we’re trying a creative work approach that’s both new and challenging for both of us, but also because I think we've found a powerful character to give proper voice to lots of exciting ideas we want to explore. And I’m additionally enthusiastic about the visual feast this story is daring me to provide.”

Ryall and Rodriguez have previously partnered on multiple comic series: Clive Barker’s The Great and Secret Show, George A. Romero’s Land of the Dead and Beowulf, but this is the first time they’ve created an all-new title together. For Rodriguez, Onyx follows his work on the acclaimed, Eisner-winning series Locke & Key with writer Joe Hill, and the just-concluded Little Nemo: Return to Slumberland with writer Eric Shanower.

Ryall added a final note about partnering with Rodriguez once again. “Working with Gabriel again is such a reminder -- every page from him on every project is a similar reminder -- that there’s nothing in the world (or the universe, as we’ll see) that he can’t bring to vivid life on the comics page. This project is a true collaboration, with us each building the story and the pages from the ground up, and it’s been a blast to see Gabe take more of a hand in the storytelling, too. I see big things in this kid’s future … if only Onyx can help secure that future for us all, that is.”

Onyx #1, one of IDW’s Five Featured Firsts in July which welcomes a new #1 issue each week of the month!

SAVED BY THE BELL VOL. 1

I was sent a review copy of this, which I haven't read yet. Not because I think it won't be good, but because I never watched the show (and never will), so of what use is my opinion? If you're a fan of the show -- it was apparently significant in the childhood of a certain age group -- then here you go.

Writer: JOELLE SELLNER

Art: CHYNNA CLUGSTON FLORES, TIM FISH

Cover: CHYNNA CLUGSTON FLORES

TPB • FC • $12.99 • 112 pages

All your favorite characters -- Zack, Slater, Kelly, Lisa, Screech, and Jessie (and Mr. Belding, of course!) -- are back at Bayside High for freshman year, trading in brick phones and mullets for iPhones and Twitter accounts.

With comics dominating the multiplex, the best-seller lists, and even mobile devices, the art form’s popularity is at an all-time high. Yet this new comics-related hype often leaves children – the next generation of aficionados – out of the fun. Lion Forge, the new digital-first comics publisher, intends to turn that around with Roar, a game-changing young readers imprint launching in June to meet this fast-growing market need.

Anchored by a slate of tie-ins to classic TV shows and bolstered by several original series, Roar takes the idea of comics for all ages quite literally. “The comics industry has been increasingly supportive of all-ages comics in recent years, but we felt it was time to actually make comics for all young readers age groups,” Lion Forge CEO David Steward said. “We established Roar to reach preschool, middle grade, and young adult readers across sales channels, especially the school and library market, with a dedicated, high-quality effort. There’s just nothing like it right now, and I can’t wait to see what everyone thinks of the books.”

Roar titles are available on digital platforms today, and the imprint’s national print launch in partnership with IDW Publishing will kick off in June with three series written by Joelle Sellner (Teen Titans, Avengers: Earth’s Mightiest Heroes). Leading the pack is SAVED BY THE BELL, a modern reboot of the NBC teen sitcom with expressive artwork by multiple Eisner Award-nominated Chynna Clugston Flores (Blue Monday, Queen Bee) and Tim Fish (The Graphic Canon, Uncanny X-Men: Nation X). PUNKY BREWSTER follows in July, based on the NBC primetime series about a homeless girl and her foster father making a brand new family, and lushly illustrated by future superstar Lesley Vamos.  SAVED BY THE BELL and PUNKY BREWSTER content is developed through a licensing agreement with Universal Partnerships & Licensing. November sees the release of MER, an original YA graphic novel that brings mermaid legends into a modern setting, where high-fantasy underwater adventure meets high school intrigue, and illustrated by Abby Boeh (Fionna and Cake, Lady Knights/Women Warriors).

Headed by Senior Editor Adam Staffaroni, Roar intends to stand out for more than just its under-served target audience. “Every one of our comics is unique, with one thing in common: a highly kinetic style that’s just as entertaining as all the TV shows and digital devices competing for kids’ attention today,” Staffaroni said. “They’re even more fun, actually, because comics can activate a child’s imagination in a way all those other media can’t.”

Staffaroni has plans to expand the line throughout 2015 with print releases of the digital series CRYSTAL CADETS (a magical girl story by Anne Toole and Katie O’Neill), along with new licensed titles featuring American Greetings Properties CARE BEARS, MADBALLS, and PACKAGES FROM PLANET X.

“We’ve been working hard behind the scenes for a couple years now,  and it’s all been leading up to this incredible program launch,” Staffaroni said.

Saved by the Bell is a trademark and copyright of NBCUniversal Media, LLC.  Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLC 2015.  All Rights Reserved. 

Punky Brewster is a trademark and copyright of National Broadcasting Company, Inc.  Licensed by Universal Studios Licensing LLC 2015.  All Rights Reserved. 

ZOMBIES VS ROBOTS #7

Here's another EC homage cover, but the main cover is pretty interesting, too!

Writers: CHRIS RYALL, STEVE NILES

Art: PAUL DAVIDSON, JAMES KOCHALKA, VALENTIN RAMON, JAMES MCDONALD

Cover: MARK TORRES

Subscription Variant: MARK TORRES

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

"The Man on the Moon!" A special full-length, standalone tale exploring different visions of the ZvR war as well as the origin of our mystery figure from above!

• Special art sequences by 2000 AD's Paul Davidson, James "Monkey vs Robot" Kochalka, Valentin "D4VE" Ramon, and James McDonald!

• Who is the Man on the Moon?

• Standalone issue! Great jumping-on point!

• Sets up the next great ZvR story arc, "WAR! 'BOTS!"

• Part of EC Comics cover month! Homage cover by Mark Torres!

IMAGE COMICS

8HOUSE: ARCLIGHT #1

This was initially announced a year ago January. I hope it's been worth the wait!

Story: BRANDON GRAHAM

Art / cover: MARIAN CHURCHLAND

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

A lady of the blood house has had her mind trapped in a strange alien root-body. She's hiding on the outskirts of her kingdom until she learns that the alien monster pretending to be her has returned.

The first issue of a shared fantasy universe. Sharp genderqueer knights, blood magic, music, dancing and a goose.

Here's the original announcement, which I have saved for 17 months:

In 2014, Brandon Graham (PROPHET, ELEPHANTMEN) will team up with four different creators to bring a series of science-fiction/fantasy miniseries set in a world ruled by eight houses to life.

The first of the series will be 8HOUSE: KIEM, written by Graham and drawn by Xurxo Penalta and follows a soldier who must project her mind into the body of her dead twin in order to fight monsters on a distant comet.

The second of the series is titled 8HOUSE: ARCLIGHT, written by Graham and featuring art by Marian Churchland (BEAST). ARCLIGHT will bring readers the chilling story of a high-ranking lady of one of the houses who has her mind trapped in a monster’s body. She will soon learn that the monster trapped in her body has taken over her old life in her absence.

The last of the series will be 8HOUSE: MIRROR, and will be written by Emma Ríos (PRETTY DEADLY) and drawn by Hwei Lim. 8HOUSE: MIRROR will examine what it means to be “human” and promises to take readers on an ironic space opera battle between self-absorbed humans intent on their own survival and noble monsters striving to save their worlds.

“Brandon Graham possesses one of the most irreverent creative minds in comics, which is what led me to tap him for the Prophet relaunch a couple years back,” said Eric Stephenson, Publisher at Image Comics. “Brandon’s work on Prophet also revealed he has a keen eye for talent, so in addition to being one of the most creatively adventurous project we publish all year, 8House is also one of the most gorgeous.”

AIRBOY #2 (OF 4)

The first issue was just as self-indulgent as I expected. I imagine the second issue will be much the same, with the added nastiness of humiliating a 1940s hero. Not my cup of tea, obviously, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Story: JAMES ROBINSON

Art / Cover: GREG HINKLE

Are the drugs wearing off, or just kicking in? After a night of debauchery, James and Greg have a hell of a hangover in the form of 1940s comic book character Airboy. The aviation hero is curious to learn what the future has to offer. Hey, you try denying a reality you’ve already altered.

THE AUTUMNLANDS, VOL. 1: TOOTH & CLAW (TPB)

Kurt Busiek is one of my favorite writers, so I've been looking forward to this collection. Especially since several Legionnaires have said nice things about it!

Story: KURT BUSIEK

Art / Cover: BENJAMIN DEWEY

Colors: JORDIE BELLAIRE

Lettering: COMICRAFT

184 PAGES / FC / M / $9.99

SPECIAL LOW INTRODUCTORY PRICE OF $9.99!

The debut collection of the hit epic-fantasy series. When the wizards of the Autumnlands reach through time to bring back a legendary hero, they don’t get the savior they expected. But in a shattered, besieged city, he’s their only hope of survival—and possibly their entire world’s, as well.

Collects THE AUTUMNLANDS: TOOTH & CLAW #1-6.

CRIMINAL, VOL. 6: THE LAST OF THE INNOCENT (TPB)

There's a head-slapping moment for everyone in this book -- where it happens seems to vary -- but I won't spoil it for you. I will recommend you read it!

Story: ED BRUBAKER

Art / Cover: SEAN PHILLIPS

120 PAGES / FC / M / $14.99

WINNER OF THE EISNER AWARD FOR BEST LIMITED SERIES!

BRUBAKER and PHILLIPS's gorgeous new CRIMINAL editions finally gets to the most critically-acclaimed and innovative piece of pulp fiction they've ever done.

It's "like Watchmen for the Archie set" as CRIMINAL reaches new heights.

IMPALER TWO VOLUME SET

I imagine this is some sort of Dracula story, but I've never heard of it before. Image sent me PR, so they must have confidence in it.

Publisher: TOP COW

Story: WILLIAM HARMS

Art / Cover: MATT TIMSON & NICK POSTIC

288 PAGES / FC / M / $19.99

Combining Volumes 1 and 2 of WILLIAM HARMS’ epic tale in this special, value-priced dual pack! Allocations may occur.

JUPITER’S CIRCLE #4

Things are progressing nicely.

Story: MARK MILLAR

Art: WILFREDO TORRES  

Cover: FRANK QUITELY

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

Fitz’s affair with his 19-year-old protégée creates tensions within the team.

NAILBITER #14

I just finished reading Popular Skullture: The Skull Motif in Pulps, Paperbacks and Comic Books, so I've got skulls on the brain (so to speak). So I thought this cover was awesome.

Story: JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art / Cover: MIKE HENDERSON

One of the biggest secrets of the serial killers is revealed!

PUNKS THE COMIC -- CBLDF SPECIAL

I've never read an issue of Punks, but if they're trying to help the CBLDF it's all right by me.

Story: JOSHUA HALE FIALKOV

Art / Cover: KODY CHAMBERLAIN

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $4.99

EVERY RULE OF THE COMIC CODE WILL BE BROKEN IN THESE 32 PAGES. To say thanks for the assured mutual destruction, 20% of all profits will be donated to the CBLDF. Help support an amazing cause and be seduced by the innocent. Or corrupted by the corrupt. Either/or.

SATELLITE SAM #15

I'm officially worried about the second girl that used to be on these covers. And I don't even know her name!

Story: MATT FRACTION

Art / Cover: HOWARD CHAYKIN

32 PAGES / BW / M / $3.50

THE END of the first SATELLITE SAM STORY!

Who lives? Who dies? Who gets away with what? Who pays? All the bloody answers come out as our broadcast day draws at long last to an end.

SUPREME: BLUE ROSE (TPB)

If Warren Ellis can make a Superman knock-off interesting to me, he will have attained Alan Moore status in my book.

Story: WARREN ELLIS

Art / Cover: TULA LOTAY

144 PAGES / FC / M / $14.99

Unemployed reporter Diana Dane is hired by a mysterious intelligence broker to solve the biggest mysteries of 21st Century America: What fell on the town of Littlehaven, and who or what is "Supreme?”

Collects SUPREME: BLUE ROSE #1-7.

WE STAND ON GUARD #1

Can't we all just get along?

Story: BRIAN K. VAUGHAN

Art / Cover: STEVE SKROCE

40 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

SAGA writer BRIAN K. VAUGHAN teams with artistic legend and MATRIX storyboard artist STEVE SKROCE for an action-packed military thriller that will have everyone talking. 100 years from now, a heroic band of Canadian civilians must defend their homeland from invasion ... by the United States of America! The hyper-detailed combat between badass freedom fighters and giant f***ing robots begins with a spectacular 40-PAGE FIRST ISSUE for the regular price of just $2.99!

MARVEL COMICS

A-FORCE #2

I've nothing to say about this book, really, except that it cries out for an Adam Hughes cover, doesn't it?

Writer: MARGUERITE BENNETT & G. WILLOW WILSON

Art/Cover: JORGE MOLINA (a/C)

Variant Cover by KRIS ANKA

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

• With monsters appearing on the utopian island of Arcadia and threatening its inhabitants, She-Hulk and her team of Avengers set out to discover the source.

• But when they stumble upon a conspiracy that reaches far beyond Arcadia, She-Hulk may just find herself on the wrong side of the law!

AVENGERS VOL. 6: INFINITE AVENGERS (TPB)

I've been waiting to read this. I'm pretty sure Cap won't be very happy.

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN

Penciled by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

Cover by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

152 PGS / Rated T+ / $19.99

ORIGINAL SIN tie-in! Remember when the Illuminati erased Captain America’s knowledge of their existence? So does Captain America! The Illuminati have fortified themselves to save the Earth — but Captain America will remind them of the cost. And as Avenger faces Avenger, the Time Gem reappears and takes the team on a peril-filled journey forward into days to come! 50 years into the future, the Avengers meet with the legacy of their actions! Then, 5,000 years into the future, the rogue planet’s mysterious origin is revealed! And finally, 50,000 years into the future, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes find themselves on Holoworld, captured in conceptual space. But as they try to figure out how to defeat an idea, the first Avenger meets the last Avenger, the Avengers World crumbles, and you won’t believe what comes next. Collecting AVENGERS (2012) #29-34.

FUTURE IMPERFECT #2

I have to say I never expected Old Hulk to fight Lumpy Thing. In fact, I never expected to see Thing's "pile of kumquats" look again!

P.S. to the artist: Having Things veins show outside his dinosaur hide (see right arm) kinda defeats the purpose of a dinosaur hide, doesn't it?

Writer: PETER DAVID

Art/Cover: GREG LAND

Variant by TBA

MONSTER SMASH!!!

• A BATTLE ROYALE between THE MAESTRO and the THING!!!

• But is it the BEN GRIMM we know and love under that rocky hide?

• What X-FACTOR member will show up as an unexpected ally of the rebels?

GIANT-SIZE LITTLE MARVEL: AVX #2

I guess I'm the only one who's a bit tired of this joke.

SKOTTIE YOUNG (w) • SKOTTIE YOUNG (a/C)

Variant Cover by TBA

• Our heroes may be little, but boy are they fierce!  The land of Marville brings you the best of Marvel as they face-off in a battle of the fittest, in a slightly smaller package.

• Super-powered dodgeball, high-tech hideouts and eye-puns a plenty, Marvel’s most adorable heroes aren’t pulling any punches in this larger-than-life, fun-size adventure.

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

*SECRET WARS SERIES

GROOT #2

Is this an homage to Kingdom Come covers, DC 100-Page Super Spectacular #6, or something else I'm not thinking of?

Writer; JEFF LOVENESS

Art: BRIAN KESINGER

Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

Variant by TBA

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

• STRANDED, and without anyone who can understand what’s coming out of his mouth, it’s Groot vs The Cosmos in a trek to get his best friend back!

• Featuring a special guest star who’s REALLY OUTTA THIS WORLD!

• Groot may look intimidating, but, trust us, he’s all bark!

GUARDIANS TEAM-UP #7

And here I thought Marvel would go a whole week without an Ant-Man appearance. What was I thinking?

Writers: PAUL SCHEER & NICK GIOVANNETTI

Art: SHAWN CRYSTAL

Cover by DAVID LOPEZ

• DRAX is taking his talents to South Beach, the home of pastel suits, chainsaws* and ANT-MAN.

• When a murderous alien ends up in Miami, it’s up to an unlikely duo of Ant-Man and Drax to stop him, that is of course if they can stop bickering with each other long enough. They’re Lethal Weapons who are Running Scared and they have 48 Hours to save the day before the Hot Fuzz come and replace them with The Other Guys.

* Oh yes there will be chainsaws!

RED SKULL #1 (of 3)

Does Johann still have Charlie's brain?That was an inspired bit of nastiness.

Writer: JOSHUA WILLIAMS

Art: LUCA PIZZARI

Cover by RILEY ROSSMO

Variant Cover by NICK PITTARA

Hushed whispers cut across Battleworld. One of the most vile villains in history still draws breath. But how can this be? He should be dead! And yet his legend grows even stronger. Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at RED SKULL #1 – a brand new Secret Wars limited series from rising star writer Josh Williamson (Nailbiter, Birthright) and artist Luca Pizzari (Amazing Spider-Man Special)! The Red Skull should be dead. Banished by Doom to the Shield long ago. If the zombies haven’t gotten to him, the Ultron robots or Annihilation bugs should have! And yet word has reached the other side that he still lives, quietly amassing an army, prepared to strike!

Now, a team of unlikely villains – Magneto, Winter Soldier, Lady Deathstrike, Electro, Moonstone and Jack O’Lantern will venture beyond safety to find the truth for themselves. Only problem – nobody ever comes back from beyond the Shield alive! Witness the horrors of Battleworld in a new way as Williamson and Pizzari unleash RED SKULL #1 on the masses this July!

SECRET WARS #4 (OF 8)

More Secret Warry-ness. Halfway home!

Writer: JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art: ESAD RIBIC

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Connecting cover by SIMONE BIANCHI

Variant by ERICA HENDERSON

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Agwengers Variant by CHRIS SAMNEE

Variant by ESAD RIBIC

Variant by Jim Starlin

ALL THE ANGELS SING!

SECRET WARS JOURNAL #3 (of 5)

I haven't seen Doc Samson in a while. Has he been dead?

Writers: SCOTT AUKERMAN & FRANK TIERI

Art: RICHARD ISANOVE & RB SILVA

Cover by JAKE WYATT

• COMEDY BANG BANG’S SCOTT AUKERMAN and RB SILVA follow psychologist Doc Samson as he tries to bring personal growth and inner peace to a land of RAGE-A-HOLIC HULKS!

• FRANK TIERI and RICHARD ISANOVE bring you a tale of murder and mayhem in the mighty Marvel Noir style! Will Wolverine discover a prominent citizen’s murder … or be the next victim?!

• The SECRETEST, WARRIEST book around! Go ahead, name a contender. NO! YOU’RE WRONG! BUT WE LOVE YOU ANYWAYS.

S.H.I.E.L.D. VOL. 1: PERFECT BULLETS (TPB)

I didn't realize this was written by Mark Waid. May have to read it after all!

Written by MARK WAID

Penciled by CARLOS PACHECO, HUMBERTO RAMOS, ALAN DAVIS, CHRIS SPROUSE, MIKE CHOI & PAUL RENAUD

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

136 PGS / Rated T+ / $17.99

High-tech weapons. High-stakes missions. High-octane adventure! Special Agent Phil Coulson and his S.H.I.E.L.D. team bring together the best and the brightest, the gifted and the elite from across the Marvel Universe to confront, combat and curtail dangers beyond the scope of any conventional peacekeeping force! Coulson and Agents Melinda May, Leo Fitz and Jemma Simmons face a possessed Heimdall! Simmons goes undercover at Ms. Marvel’s New Jersey high school! When magical terrorists strike, Coulson and Spider-Man must lead a strike team into Dr. Strange’s mansion! S.H.I.E.L.D. reveals its most secret agent yet: Sue Richards, the Invisible Woman! The team’s super-science is useless when a mystical threat rears its head — luckily, the Scarlet Witch might be able to help! But can a battered and broken S.H.I.E.L.D. team protect Earth from the Mindless Plague? Welcome to level eight! Collecting S.H.I.E.L.D. (2015) #1-6.

THOR VOL. 2: WHO HOLDS THE HAMMER? (PREMIERE HC)

Given her sales, I would not be at all surprised if this version of Thor continued into the "new" Marvel U, with or without Unworthy Odinson.

Written by JASON AARON, CM PUNK, NOELLE STEVENSON

Penciled by RUSSELL DAUTERMAN, ROB GUILLORY, MARGUERITE SAUVAGE & TIM TRUMAN

COVER BY RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

136 PGS / Rated T+ / $24.99

Trim size: standard

Who is the new Thor? That’s the question on everyone’s lips. Most especially the original Thor! And now he starts to narrow down the list of suspects. Meanwhile, tensions continue to flare between the All-Mother and All-Father, Malekith the Dark Elf forges his most dangerous pact yet, and the new Thor prepares to face her greatest challenge: the unstoppable machine of death and destruction that is…the Destroyer! As the battle for Mjolnir rages on, an unexpected character makes a shocking return — and the new Thor’s identity is revealed at last! Plus: Young Thor enters a drinking competition! The new Thor takes on a surprising foe! In the future, King Thor’s granddaughters quest to find him the perfect birthday gift! And more! Collecting THOR (2014) #6-8 and ANNUAL #1.

ULTIMATE END #3 (of 5)

Ultimate Universe. Still ending. STILL. ENDING.

Writer: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art/Cover: MARK BAGLEY

THE BATTLE YOU THOUGHT YOU’D NEVER SEE!

• The mash up of the ULTIMATE UNIVERSE and the MARVEL UNIVERSE reaches its tipping point.

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #7

I love the trend toward comics that are just for fun, like this one.

Writer: RYAN NORTH

Art/Cover: ERICA HENDERSON (A/C)

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

• Our friend Squirrel Girl doesn’t like our new friend Girl Squirrel! In this issue we’ll discover if this dislike is ... POTENTIALLY JUSTIFIED??

• Also: if you don’t care whether or not these two people like each other, perhaps me telling you that THE WORLD HAS GONE MAD AND SQUIRREL GIRL HAS TO FIGHT THE AVENGERS IN THIS ISSUE will attract your attention?

• It did? Well guess what: she also fights Ratatoskr, the Norse God of squirrels!

• Also, Old Guy Thor is in this issue! As is New Lady Thor! We don’t have Frog Thor, though.

• That seems like an oversight, actually??

X-TINCTION AGENDA #2

Hey, look! Wolverine! Must be one of the not-dead ones. I bet there are plenty of non-dead Wolverines in Secret Wars, and at least one will continue after it's over. One besides Old Man Logan, I mean, who is already slated for his own series.

MARC GUGGENHEIM (w)

CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO (a)

Cover by DAVID NAKAYAMA

Variant Cover by TBA

• The Secret Wars sequel to the landmark inaugural X-Crossover continues!  

• In desperate need of a cure for their people, Havok, Wolfsbane and the Press Gang have invaded X-City.

• As old friends become new enemies, the war to save Genosha from extinction is on!

*SECRET WARS SERIES

YEARS OF FUTURE PAST #2

Go Storm! (And please survive this time!)

Writer: MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art: MIKE NORTON

Cover by ART ADAMS

Variant by TBA

• Freed from their military prison, the X-Men race through the ruins of the city to rescue their teammates from a terrible fate!

• Horrified by what mutants must do to survive, Kate Pryde and her family must struggle to find a way to save their people- -- and seek out the haven where a dire weapon waits.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• OTHER PUBLISHERS

A CENTAUR'S LIFE VOL 6 (GN)

OK, I'm a grown-up, and this is just a fantasy manga. But it still freaks me out. Somewhere in the back of my head bestiality rears its head, and that's plain taboo. Doesn't help that this is a mature readers book, which means things I don't want to see (even though I probably won't see them!) are possible.

STK670877.jpg?width=525Writer/Art/Cover: KEI MURAYAMA

Mature / $12.99

Being a teenager is never easy, especially for a centaur! Himeno is a sweet, shy girl, who, like many teens her age, struggles with the trials and tribulations of attending high school. The difference is she's a centaur; but she's not alone. In fact, all of her classmates are supernatural creatures, sporting either horns, wings, tails, halos, or some other unearthly body appendage. Yet despite their fantastical natures, Himeno and her best friends - the dragon-winged Nozomi, and Kyoko with her spiraled horns - are down-to-earth, fun-loving teenagers who grapple with issues of life and love in a mostly normal daily school setting.

ARCHIE COMICS DOUBLE DIGEST #262

One of the things that linger in my memories of childhood is the flood of summer-related Archie products and covers during the hot months. I never read many of them, but the wonderful world displayed on the covers -- beaches, sailing, water-skiing, volleyball, etc. -- looked like so much fun and so vibrant and so wet that they were like a tonic on a hot day. Looks like the tradition is alive and well.

1936700162?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Script: TOM DEFALCO

Art:  BOB BOLLING, JACK MORELLI, JIM AMASH

Cover: DAN PARENT, BOB SMITH, ROSARIO “TITO” PEÑA

On Sale Date: 7/1

160-page, full color comic

$4.99 U.S.

Summer time is here and Archie and Veronica are ready to hit the hot sands of Riverdale Beach! Archie’s looking forward to a relaxing day laying out in the sun, but when Veronica gets too picky about where to set up shop on the beach, Archie’s day of rest turns into a “Beach of Burden”! Enjoy this brand new summer-fun lead story to this comics double digest!

1936702017?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936702217?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936704069?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936707442?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936698981?profile=RESIZE_180x180BOB'S BURGERS #1

I don't watch the cartoon, and I sure won't read the comic book, but if there are Bob's Burgers fans out there, this is definitely for you.

BobsV201CovAForte.jpg?width=525BobsV201CovBOrderUp.jpg?width=525BobsV201CovCWorkOfArt.jpg?width=525BobsV201CovEIncen10Sawanobo.jpg?width=525BobsV201CovFIncen25Dzankich.jpg?width=525Writer: RACHEL HASTINGS, JUSTIN HOOK, MIKE OLSEN, JEFF DRAKE, BEN DICKERSON, BRIAN HALL, MARK VON DER HEIDE, ADAM BEECHEN, JOHN MCNAMEE

Art: FRANK FORTE, STEVEN THEIS, TOM RIGGIN, MARIO D'ANNA, ADAM PHILIPPS, HECTOR REYNOSO, ANTHONY AGUINALDO

Cover A: FRANK FORTE

Cover B: DEREK SCHROEDER "Order Up"

Cover C: DEREK SCHROEDER "Work of Art"

32 pages / Teen + / $3.99

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce the release of Bob's Burgers #1, the first issue in an ongoing series that presents all-new adventures and antics of the Belcher Family, the beloved cast of the popular FOX animated comedy series. Building upon the success of their five-issue 2014 miniseries, Dynamite and partner Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products welcome a creative team assembled from the actual television show producers and animators to deliver the engaging Belcher Family fun that millions of fans adore.

"Bringing Bob's Burgers to the comic book medium is a lot of fun, because it allows us to tell stories that we wouldn't normally do on the TV show and it allows our artists to illustrate them in equally unique styles," says Mike Olsen, one of the contributing writers for the Bob's Burgers comic book series.

Loren Bouchard, the creator of Bob's Burgers, says, "We want the comic to appeal to fans of the show, and to that end, we strive to protect the tone, the heart, and most importantly, the characters, just as fiercely as we do when we're working on the TV show. If you enjoy the show and you don't enjoy the comic book, then we owe you a comic book, or at least an apology."

"We're very fortunate that Loren Bouchard and his creative team of writers and artists are able to take the time to create some of the best comics in the industry today. We wanted to wait to launch the ongoing series until Loren and his team were able to create enough material to do so, instead of continuing series of mini-series. Bob's Burgers has been successful thanks to the execution of Loren and his creative team. When you think about it, Bob's Burgers is the only television-based comic in the industry that has an entire team of show writers and artists working on the comic. It truly is canon," says Dynamite CEO/Publisher Nick Barrucci. 

The second-ever series of the Bob's Burgers comic book gives each member of the Belcher Family a chance to shine. Each monthly issue will include new installments of Tina's Erotic Friend Fiction, Louise's Unsolved Mysteries and Curious Curiosities, Gene's Rhymey Rhymes That Could Someday Be Songs, Linda's Attempts to Take a Nice Family Picture in Front of the Restaurant (And How It Always Goes Wrong) and Bob's Fantasy Food Trucks (If Money Were No Object).

The announcement of the ongoing Bob's Burgers series follows upon not only a bestselling 2014 miniseries, but the strong comic shop retailer support of Bob's Burgers as part of the worldwide Free Comic Book Day 2015 event. This year's Free Comic Book Day offered a special Bob's Burgers one-shot comic.

Bob's Burgers follows the ups and downs of Bob Belcher, who runs the family restaurant with the help of his wife Linda and their three kids, Tina, Gene and Louise. Bob has big ideas about burgers, but his family falls short on service and sophistication. The show debuted in 2011, and airs Sunday nights. Numerous critics have applauded the series' offbeat sense of humor. The show was recently nominated for an Emmy Award for Outstanding Animated Program, and was also a Critics' Choice Television nominee for Best Animated Series.

BBv2_103_TinaTAC_Page03_Art.jpg?width=150BBv2_109_LouiseWLB_Page01_Art.jpg?width=150BBv2_110_LouiseWLB_Page02_Art.jpg?width=150BBv2_119_Gene_FMLG_Page04_Art.jpg?width=150

1801478563?profile=RESIZE_180x180CAVEWOMAN CASTAWAY (ONE-SHOT)

Wherever the line is between "fan service" and "pornography," this cover just crossed it.

STK665199.jpg?width=525Publisher: AMRYL ENTERTAINMENT

Writer/Art/Cover: DEVON MASSEY

Meriem washes up on the shore of a mysterious island in the middle of nowhere. This Devon Massey cover is limited to just 400 copies, each book is bagged and boarded and comes with a Certificate of Authenticity!

DOCTOR WHO: THE TWELFTH DOCTOR #9

It's Who time!

1936707614?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Writer: ROBBIE MORRISON

Artist: BRIAN WILLIAMSON

Publisher: Titan Comics

32pp – FC - $3.99

Release Date: June 3, 2015

A brand-new story begins, as the Doctor and Clara are forced to ally with gangsters on the Vegas strip to combat an even more terrifying foe!

Will the Doctor's morals prove as alien as the unearthly invaders – or can he triumph without compromise ... in 'GANGLAND'?

- From writer Robbie Morrison (Spider-Man) and artist Brian Williamson (Torchwood, Gabba Gabba Hey)!

- Brand-new story arc - Gangland!

- The Godfather of Doctor Who stories is here!

- Comes with two covers to collect - Cover A: Regular Cover: Brian Williamson and Cover B: Photo Variant

IMPERIUM #6

More pretty Valiant material.

1936708071?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936710134?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936712183?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Written by JOSHUA DYSART

Art by SCOT EATON

Cover A by SCOT EATON

Cover B by CAFU

Variant Cover by KANO

$3.99 | 32 pages | T+

“BROKEN ANGELS” – PART 2! Whatever other-dimensional horrors have besieged Angela Peace Baingana to transform her into the humanoid monster called Broken Angel…Toyo Harada needs her!

Possessed of the most brilliant scientific mind on this planet–even if it’s not her own–the woman called Peace is poised to single-handedly secure Harada’s vision of global salvation… he just has to destroy everything in his way to get her. The underwater smash-and-grab heist of BROKEN ANGELS crashes into an unbelievable battle!

1936712369?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936714445?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936714645?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936716719?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936718782?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936698981?profile=RESIZE_180x180JUSTICE, INC.: THE AVENGER #2

I read this, and it's just getting heated. Mark Waid knows how to pace a story. I won't say it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, as The Avenger, no matter how well he's done, is a B-list character. His concept is too derivative, his raison d'etre too tired. But Waid is doing a fine job here.

1936719071?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Writer: MARK WAID

Art: RONILSON FREIRE

Cover: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

FC l 32 pages l $3.99 l Teen+

FANS, ASK YOUR RETAILER FOR THE: Francesco Francavilla “Virgin” art retailer incentive cover

Richard Benson confronts the Invisible Death – but not before more killers can invade the headquarters of Justice, Inc. and take the fight to Benson's own doorstep! Alone and unaided, Benson's agents have to defend their fortress. Mark Waid, the award-winning writer behind Kingdom Come and Daredevil, continues his latest tour-de-force with the pulp hero he’s waited his entire lifetime to write!

1936720916?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936721000?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936722944?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936725252?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936727302?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936698981?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SONIC BOOM #9

More alternate covers from the Sonic/Mega Man crossover event.

1936729117?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936731487?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936733476?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Script: IAN FLYNN

Art: EDWIN HUANG, GARY MARTIN, JOHN WORKMAN AND GABRIEL CASSATA

Cover: PATRICK "SPAZ" SPAZIANTE 

Evil Friends Forever E.F.F. Variant Cover: BRENT MCCARTHY

Epic Poster Variant (pt6 of 12): BEN BATES

On Sale Date: 7/1

32-page, full color comic

$3.99 U.S.

The SONIC/MEGA MAN crossover event GOES BOOM! "Worlds Unite" Part Six: The war against Sigma has been waged!  Sonic, Mega Man and X lead their unified friends against hordes of mechaniloids led by the armored, super-powered Deadly Six!  That sounds pretty scary and exciting, and now is definitely the time for everyone to work together and pay close attention. Especially Sticks. She tends to do some distracting stuff, like falling off the Sky Patrol and landing into a Genesis Portal or something—wait? Did she really? Well, where did she land?  No way!  Is that - -?! You won't believe where Sticks lands, but what you BETTER believe is that this issue sports some awesome cover art by Patrick "SPAZ" Spaziante and the return of the EVIL FRIENDS FOREVER (E.F.F.) variant by Brent McCarthy! Plus part 6 of the epic 12-part connecting variant cover series by artist Ben Bates!

SWORDS OF SORROW: DEJAH THORIS & IRENE ADLER #2 (of 3)

Like the first issue, this one is pretty good, with two strong lead characters. I still don't know if there is a tradition of Irene Adler as an espionage agent, or if that was created for this series, but she's written as a good one, and clearly Holmes' equal.

My one complaint is a scene where Dejah steps out of character to lecture Holmes on his sexism, which I found ham-handed. Thoris is a stabber, not a lecturer, especially in this story with that one exception. If she really found fault with Holmes' behavior, she'd probably have just taken off his head, not given him a 2015-style lecture on female accomplishment. And it was pointless in-story as well; everyone was sexist then by our current standards, not just Holmes. He would have no idea what she was jabbering about, since it was unthinkable for anyone of that era to consider women anything but second class (and virtually property). It yanked me clean out of the story.

But the story found its footing again, and for the most part this has been one of the better Swords of Sorrow tie-ins.

SoSDejahIrene02CovAAnacleto.jpg?width=525

Writer: LEAH MOORE

Art: FRANCESCO MANNA

Cover: JAY ANACLETO

32 pages / Teen+ / $3.99

On Barsoom, the Princess of Helium is missing, and Irene Adler is the number one suspect. As Adler struggles to maintain her liberty and capture her own quarry, there are now two Martians roaming the dark, puddled streets of London, and Princess Dejah Thoris is not dressed for the weather. An official tie-in to the epic Swords of Sorrow crossover event, written by acclaimed writer Leah Moore (Doctor Who, Sherlock Holmes).

This product is not authorized by Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.

1936735959?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936735924?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936737844?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936737796?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936740002?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936698981?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• 1936698981?profile=RESIZE_180x180WILL EISNER’S THE SPIRIT #1

This series is set in the '40s (or something that looks like it) and yet doesn't fall into "The Spirit" continuity anywhere. The Spirit is missing at the beginning of the tale, and (spoiler) isn't found by the end. My guess is that we're going to systematically visit all of the elements of the original Spirit series via the classic story structure of trying to find him. Then at the end of that journey, he'll return, with the readers all on the same page, familiar with the basic elements of the strip. Yay.

Is this good? I dunno. It's hard to judge, because following Will Eisner isn't just hard, it's impossible. Even Darwyn Cooke didn't succeed, and Matt Wagner ain't no Darwyn Cooke.

But hey, maybe he recognizes that, and is following a well-worn path because he realizes that trying to one-up the most innovative writer/artist in the history of comics is a fool's errand. Maybe this is exactly the right way to go.

Again, I don't know. But the first issue is good enough that I'll be back next issue. And that's review enough.

1936699025?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

1936699139?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936700977?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936700994?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936701158?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936703264?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936703298?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Dynamite10thAnnivImage.jpg?width=250Writer: MATT WAGNER

Art: DAN SCHKADE

Cover: ERIC POWELL, MATT WAGNER W/ BRENNAN WAGNER

Fans & retailers, order the cover of your choice!

FC l 32 pages l $3.99 l Teen+

FANS, ASK YOUR RETAILER FOR THE: John Cassaday Exclusive Art retailer incentive cover

In celebration of the 75th anniversary of Will Eisner’s iconic and ground-breaking character, Dynamite Entertainment is proud to present an all-new ongoing series featuring THE SPIRIT.  Scripted by Eisner Award-winning author Matt Wagner, this monthly title will delight longtime fans as well as help introduce a whole new generation of fans to the character.  Set in the classic period of The Spirit’s golden age, the 1940s, the first 12-issue story arc follows the strip’s most beloved characters, Commissioner Dolan, his daughter Ellen, Ebony White and Sammy as they attempt to uncover why The Spirit has been missing, and presumed dead, for the past two years. Has the famous blue-masked hero finally fallen victim to one of the malicious felons or beautiful femme fatales from his lengthy rogues’ gallery of enemies?  In the words of Central City’s most prominent headlines: “WHO KILLED THE SPIRIT?” Illustrated by Dan Schkade and colored by Brennan Wagner, this series will strive to honor the vital and prestigious legacy of one of comicdom’s most talented and influential creators – Will Eisner.

The Spirit stands among the most iconic and influential characters in the industry with a publishing history in newspapers and comic books lasting generations.  Many of the most accomplished creators in the field have carried the torch that Will Eisner set ablaze, including Darwyn Cooke, Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Dave Gibbons and Joe R. Lansdale, just to name a few. Matt Wagner, whose long career in comics has yielded a vast library of critically acclaimed titles, takes the reins on The Spirit for the very first time, ensuring that Eisner's creation endures as we enter its fourth quarter-century.

"I discovered The Spirit via the black-and-white, magazine-sized reprints of the mid-'70s. It was the first time that I truly perceived sequential narrative as a legitimate art form, of the immense creative power of a comic-artist in his prime," says Wagner. "I can honestly say that seeing and experiencing The Spirit in my formative years ultimately led to my career as a comics author. It's such an immense thrill and a professional honor to have the chance to contribute to Will Eisner's legacy on the milestone 75th anniversary of his most influential and iconic character."

Matt Wagner is the accomplished creator of Grendel and Mage, a guiding creative force behind such mainstream blockbusters as Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman: Trinity and Batman: The Monster Men, and no stranger to pulp noir, courtesy of his groundbreaking work on such Dynamite titles as The Shadow: Year One, Green Hornet: Year One and Zorro. He recently set Hollywood abuzz with the launch of Django/Zorro, a comic book series co-written with influential filmmaker Quentin Tarantino that teams two Western icons in an official sequel to the hit film Django Unchained.

Dan Schkade, the interior artist of the upcoming series, says, "I've been a fan of The Spirit for half of my life. He's the perfect American hero: this laughing, self-made, middle class outlaw who serves his community, stands up to bullies, and loves life like only a dead man can. I'm honored, humbled, and more excited than I can describe to be working on this incredible revival."

Regarding his ongoing monthly contribution to The Spirit's legacy as cover artist, Eric Powell says, "Will Eisner is one of my artistic heroes. I'm really excited to work on The Spirit for the first time!" Eric Powell is best known as the creator of The Goon, and for his contributions to such high-profile comic projects as Big Trouble in Little China and Godzilla: Kingdom of Monsters.

"One of the most amazing creators in comics, Matt Wagner, will be joined by Dan Schkade on art, and our ongoing main cover artist will be none other than Eric  Powell! Matt is a multi-Eisner Award-winning writer/artist, and it's perfect that he is the writer of the ongoing series. Dan just captures The Spirit perfectly. Eric Powell, also an Eisner Award-winner, will be the main cover artist! His covers are so distinctive and amazing that he is definitely going to help each issue stand out," says Dynamite CEO/Publisher Nick Barrucci.

"We are very excited that Dynamite has taken on the challenge of bringing back Will Eisner's iconic character The Spirit, along with the emblematic cast of characters featured in new stories and adventures," say Nancy and Carl Grooper in a joint statement on behalf of the Eisner Estate. "It's a huge challenge, given the 75 years of great storytelling and artwork by the grandmaster and a pantheon of award-winning creators. We believe that Dynamite is up to this challenge and are looking forward to seeing this year's issues written by Matt Wagner.

"At Dynamite, The Spirit will be joining many iconic heroes including Flash Gordon, The Shadow, The Green Hornet, The Lone Ranger, Zorro, and others. Will Eisner created The Spirit in 1940 as a syndicated seven-page newspaper supplement, where The Spirit fought the villains of Central City weekly until 1952.  We're hoping to see Dynamite's new comics of The Spirit surpass the circulation of the Will Eisner's original series."

Nick Barrucci, CEO and Publisher of Dynamite Entertainment, says, "When I was 13 years old, I met Matt Wagner at my local comic store, and asked him if he would help me publish my comic.  Fortunately, he had the foresight to say no, in the politest way possible, as I can imagine he could tell that I would be terrible at it. When I was 15, I discovered The Spirit with the Harvey Comics reprint series from the 1970s, and from there, continued to follow the hero's two-fisted adventures in newspaper inserts.  I could never have imagined that one of my creative heroes would be working with a legendary creator's signature character, and one of my all time favorite heroes. It's surreal. From the very beginning, Will Eisner's incredible storytelling made a lasting impression on me. I would never have predicted that Dynamite would have the honor of publishing The Spirit, and to do the series justice, we aimed to bring the best creative team possible together for the series. Matt's mastery of the Pulps made him our top choice for The Spirit, right from the start. What he has in mind for Denny Colt and the rest of Eisner's colorful cast is guaranteed to thrill long-time fans and new readers alike.

"Bringing The Spirit to Dynamite is a dream come true.  Actually, that's not a strong enough sentiment.  It's a lifelong dream come true," says Nick Barrucci, CEO and Publisher of Dynamite Entertainment. "The Spirit is one of comicdom's greatest characters, and has stood the test of time for nearly 75 years.  Will is one of the greats, and his influence as a storyteller is incredible.  I've loved all of Will's work from The Spirit to his graphic novels from A Contract with God to The Dreamer, and his entire body of work.  This is a huge responsibility that we've undertaken as there have been some great creators involved in The Spirit throughout the seven decades of his career. I'm honored that Carl and Nancy feel that we are up to the task, and have entrusted us to publish The Spirit, especially beginning at such a landmark year -- his 75th Anniversary.  I believe that, with our proven track record for high-quality pulp comics by incredible talents (like Matt Wagner, Garth Ennis, and Kevin Smith), the addition of The Spirit to our line of classic adventure titles is a major win for longtime fans of Will Eisner's original crime fighter.  I cannot emphasize enough how important publishing The Spirit is to us."

Originally published in 1939 by Quality Comics, The Spirit has long been admired for the ingenuity of its creator, Will Eisner.  Eisner's amazing artistic skill and groundbreaking storytelling techniques in the weekly Sunday 16-page sections helped pave the way for modern comic books. His career spanned over seventy years, and he is largely considered as the inventor of the "graphic novel." In addition to The Spirit, his most celebrated works include A Contract with God and Last Day in Vietnam. The industry's highest accolade, the prestigious Eisner Award, is named in his honor, and awarded annually at San Diego Comic-Con International.

1936705142?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936707300?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936709251?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936711402?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936713450?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936713560?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-O MANOWAR #38 (WEDDING SPECTACULAR!)

More groovy Valiant stuff!

1936713655?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936713774?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936714025?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936716018?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936718128?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Written by ROBERT VENDITTI with AMY CHU, ANDY RUNTON, and RAFER ROBERTS

Art by RAFA SANDOVAL with CLAYTON HENRY, CAFU, ANDY RUNTON, and RAFER ROBERTS

Cover A (Wraparound) by RAFA SANDOVAL

Cover B by CARY NORD

Cover C by CAFU

Variant Cover by TOM FOWLER

Variant Cover by JAY FABARES

Blank Invitation Cover Also Available

$4.99 | 48 pages | T+

Save the date … because, on July 1st, you're invited to … the wedding of X-O Manowar!

Valiant is proud to present the first look inside X-O MANOWAR #38 – an oversized, 48-page wedding spectacular from New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (BOOK OF DEATH, Green Lantern), red-hot artist Rafa Sandoval (Ultimate Hawkeye) and an all-star cast of special guests from across the Valiant Universe! On  July 1st, witness the summer's most joyous celebration as Aric of Dacia – aka the unstoppable X-O Manowar – and his bride-to-be, Saana of Loam, begin a joyous new chapter for Valiant's alien-armored powerhouse!

Aric of Dacia nearly died in battle against the Armor Hunters, and watched a world end at the hands of the Dead Hand. As a king, he knows that it is his duty to marry and provide his people with an heir to protect them in the generations to come. He now makes the next step on his journey … with a guest list of the Valiant Universe’s finest, what could possibly go wrong? One hint: everything!

The essential wedding celebration of the summer kicks off with a full-length lead tale from Robert Venditti and Rafa Sandoval as Valiant’s alien armored Visigoth takes the next epic step in his evolution as a king and hero! Then, red-hot artist CAFU (UNITY) joins Robert Venditti for a tale of love, warfare, and cosmic fate on the outskirts of the Roman Empire as young Aric of Dacia prepares to cross the threshold into adulthood! Plus: Valiant newcomer Amy Chu (Vertigo CMYK) and Harvey Award-nominated artist Clayton Henry (IVAR, TIMEWALKER) reveal the the future queen of the Visigoth nation in the very first solo tale of Saana of Loam, while acclaimed writer and artist Rafer Roberts (X-O MANOWAR #25) dares attend…the bachelor party of X-O Manowar! And, last but not least, Eisner Award nominee and fan favorite cartoonist Andy Runton (Owly) returns to Valiant for an all-new Owly adventure, guest-starring the X-O Manowar armor!

On  July 1st, alien warriors, Visigoth valor, love and war collide as Valiant superstars Robert Venditti (Green Lantern) and Rafa Sandoval (Ultimate Hawkeye) officiate the biggest turning point yet for Valiant's number one hero with a can’t-miss matrimonial melee nearly two millennia in the making! Don't miss the wedding of the one and only X-O Manowar, right here in the oversized X-O MANOWAR #38 spectacular – featuring five fabulous covers by Rafa Sandoval (HARBINGER), Cary Nord (Conan), CAFU (UNITY), Valiant newcomer Jay Fabares, and Tom Fowler (QUANTUM AND WOODY)!

X-O MANOWAR #38 (WEDDING SPECTACULAR!)

1936719947?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by ROBERT VENDITTI with AMY CHU, ANDY RUNTON, and RAFER ROBERTS

Art by RAFA SANDOVAL with CLAYTON HENRY, CAFU, ANDY RUNTON, and RAFER ROBERTS

Cover A (Wraparound) by RAFA SANDOVAL

Cover B by CARY NORD

Cover C by CAFU

Blank Invitation Variant Also Available

Variant Cover by JAY FABARES

Variant Cover by TOM FOWLER

$4.99 |48 pgs.| T+ | ON SALE IN JULY!

This July, Valiant cordially invites you to the most momentous event of the summer… THE WEDDING OF X-O MANOWAR!

Valiant is proud to announce X-O MANOWAR #38 – an oversized, 48-page wedding spectacular uniting Aric of Dacia, aka the unstoppable X-O Manowar, with his new love, Saana of Loam, before a cast of special guests from across the Valiant Universe!

Join New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (ARMOR HUNTERS, Green Lantern) and red-hot artist Rafa Sandoval ( Ultimate Hawkeye) this July to stand and witness the biggest, brashest wedding celebration of the year as Valiant's alien armored Visigoth takes the epic next step in his evolution as a king and hero!

Aric of Dacia nearly died in battle against the Armor Hunters, and watched a world end at the hands of Dead Hand. As a king, he knows that it is his duty to marry and provide his people with an heir to protect them in the generations to come. He now makes the next step on his journey… With a guest list of the Valiant Universe's finest, what could possibly go wrong? One hint: everything!

Plus: in addition to the full-length lead tale, the 48-page X-O Manowar wedding celebration also comes packed with special gifts and guests! First, Valiant superstars Robert Venditti ( The Flash) and Clayton Henry (IVAR, TIMEWALKER) offer up a toast with a tale of Aric and Saana's Visigoth forebears and the future they sought!

Then, Valiant newcomer Amy Chu ( Vertigo CMYK) and red-hot artist CAFU (UNITY) reveal the woman who will become queen in a very special solo tale of Saana of Loam, while Rafer Roberts ( Carpool Buddies of Doom) dares attend…the bachelor party of X-O Manowar! And, last but not least, Eisner Award nominee Andy Runtom ( Owly) returns to X-O Manowar for another chapter of Owly's adventures with Aric's all-powerful armor, Shanhara!

Alien warriors! Visigoth valor! Love! War! It all happens here as red-hot creators Robert Venditti and Rafa Sandoval lead off a can't-miss matrimonial melee two millennia in the making in X-O MANOWAR #38!

Featuring covers by Rafa Sandoval, Cary Nord, CAFU, Jay Fabares, and Tom Fowler, make sure to RSVP this July and get your place at the table of the summer's most joyous Valiant event… THE WEDDING OF X-O MANOWAR!

1936721978?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936724042?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936725840?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936727822?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936727987?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936729852?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936732258?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936734219?profile=RESIZE_180x180ZOMBIE TRAMP #13STK676833.jpg?width=525

1936734456?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936736514?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936738399?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer(s): Dan Mendoza

Artist Name(s): Dan Mendoza

Cover Artist(s): Dan Mendoza (regular, risqué variant), TMChu (limited variant), blank sketch (limited variant)

Risque variant cover (limited to 2500): Dan Mendoza

TMChu variant cover (limited to 2000): TMChu

Blank sketch cover (limited to 1500)

32 pgs. / Mature Readers/ FC / $3.99 / $4.99 Variant

Special anniversary issue - Dan Mendoza returns for the one year anniversary of the ongoing series in a special issue written and drawn by the Zombie Tramp creator himself. As Janey makes her way to Florida for vengeance, she's offered a chance at forgiveness to one of those that wronged her and set her on her twisted path.

Features regular and risqué variant covers by series creator Dan Mendoza (risqué limited to 2500 copies) and a variant cover by series artist TMChu (limited to 2000 copies), and for the first time a blank “sketch” cover (limited to 1500 copies).

• Superman did meet the original Titans once, in World's Finest Comics #205 while the comic was his team-up title. The New Teen Titans guested, along with the JLA, in Action Comics #546, the climax of the Marv Wolfman/Gil Kane New Braniac story.

• A CENTAUR'S LIFE VOL 6 (GN)

OK, I'm a grown-up, and this is just a fantasy manga. But it still freaks me out. Somewhere in the back of my head bestiality rears its head, and that's plain taboo. Doesn't help that this is a mature readers book, which means things I don't want to see (even though I probably won't see them!) are possible.

Mature / $12.99

Being a teenager is never easy, especially for a centaur! Himeno is a sweet, shy girl, who, like many teens her age, struggles with the trials and tribulations of attending high school. The difference is she's a centaur; but she's not alone. In fact, all of her classmates are supernatural creatures, sporting either horns, wings, tails, halos, or some other unearthly body appendage. Yet despite their fantastical natures, Himeno and her best friends - the dragon-winged Nozomi, and Kyoko with her spiraled horns - are down-to-earth, fun-loving teenagers who grapple with issues of life and love in a mostly normal daily school setting.

Actually, I've been reading this book, and been finding it quite interesting.  The story itself is fairly light-weight - in many ways it's a typical "high school days" manga that just happens to be set in a world where several different human races exist,  The one unusual storyline involves the relations between the human races and the world's one non-human race, the Antarctic snake-people.

What fascinates me about the book is the world-building that the author does. The author has obviously given serious thought as to what a world like ours would be like if several different races coexisted.  The book shows differences in clothing (i.e., how shirts for people with wings might be designed), technology (how a car for a centaur might be structured) and so on.  The book also explores the nature of their society. Japan is presented as having very strict "hate crime" laws, which is described in-story as being necessary  to maintain harmony between the races. (There's even an exploration of history, showing that some cultures used to enslave centaurs to use a draft animals) In one segment a teacher suggests that if humans all had the same form and the only difference between them was a minor thing like skin color, then there would hardly be any conflict in the world at all.

As for the "mature" label, I suspect that may be the publisher (or whoever determines these labels) covering their posterior.  There's a certain amount of mild nudity - nothing particularly prurient, in my opinion. (It's good to remember that the Japanese don't have exactly the same body taboos that we have) The main characters are teenage girls, so there is an occasional bit of sexual curiosity shown - nothing I would consider unnatural.  At one point, three girls - one a centaur, one a goat-folk, and one a draconid discuss the possibility of sex between different types of human, and compare their - how to put it - "personal areas", but nothing is shown to the reader, and it doesn't devolve into a sapphic lovefest, or anything like that. In the five volumes I've read, no actual sex has been shown, and it's only discussed very obliquely.

If there's an overarching storyline, it's to do with the mysterious UFOs that have been appearing, and how they figure into the on-going tension between the USA (which has just elected its first centaur president) and the snake-people.

Is it for everyone? Maybe not.  Is there a certain amount of fan service in it? Sure, but manga without fan service are few and far between. There's certainly nothing in it that would smack of bestiality, or that should upset anyone who wasn't especially uptight.

• Cap, my friend… you need to seriously re-think your decision not to buy Corto Maltese. (Start with the first volume, though.)

‘Nuff said.

• Today's Purchases:

A-Force #2
    Doctor Who: The Twelfth Doctor #9
    Secret Wars #4
    The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #7

• ABSOLUTE Y: THE LAST MAN VOL. 1 (HC)

If you are a long-timer on this board, you know that I was not this series' biggest fan, but Legionnaire and fellow columnist Chris Fluit loved it. Is it a generational thing? Probably. But even I recommend you read it, just to try it, because the writing and art are top-flight. If you're a fan or haven't read it yet, here's a way to collect the series in gorgeous, long-lasting hardback.

Thanks for the shout-out, Cap!

• MICKEY MOUSE #1

Disney's flagship character joins the IDW line.

I could never understand why so many little kids love Mickey when he had no cartoons, no movies and no comic books. This partially invalidates my long-standing opinion.

• Thanks, Baron. I'm genuinely relieved.

Funny line about race. And, oh, the USA just elected its first centaur president? Would that be a metaphor for anything, you think? photo tongue.gif

The Baron said:

A CENTAUR'S LIFE VOL 6 (GN)

Mature / $12.99

Actually, I've been reading this book, and been finding it quite interesting.  The story itself is fairly light-weight - in many ways it's a typical "high school days" manga that just happens to be set in a world where several different human races exist,  The one unusual storyline involves the relations between the human races and the world's one non-human race, the Antarctic snake-people.

What fascinates me about the book is the world-building that the author does. The author has obviously given serious thought as to what a world like ours would be like if several different races coexisted.  The book shows differences in clothing (i.e., how shirts for people with wings might be designed), technology (how a car for a centaur might be structured) and so on.  The book also explores the nature of their society. Japan is presented as having very strict "hate crime" laws, which is described in-story as being necessary  to maintain harmony between the races. (There's even an exploration of history, showing that some cultures used to enslave centaurs to use a draft animals) In one segment a teacher suggests that if humans all had the same form and the only difference between them was a minor thing like skin color, then there would hardly be any conflict in the world at all.

As for the "mature" label, I suspect that may be the publisher (or whoever determines these labels) covering their posterior.  There's a certain amount of mild nudity - nothing particularly prurient, in my opinion. (It's good to remember that the Japanese don't have exactly the same body taboos that we have) The main characters are teenage girls, so there is an occasional bit of sexual curiosity shown - nothing I would consider unnatural.  At one point, three girls - one a centaur, one a goat-folk, and one a draconid discuss the possibility of sex between different types of human, and compare their - how to put it - "personal areas", but nothing is shown to the reader, and it doesn't devolve into a sapphic lovefest, or anything like that. In the five volumes I've read, no actual sex has been shown, and it's only discussed very obliquely.

If there's an overarching storyline, it's to do with the mysterious UFOs that have been appearing, and how they figure into the on-going tension between the USA (which has just elected its first centaur president) and the snake-people.

Is it for everyone? Maybe not.  Is there a certain amount of fan service in it? Sure, but manga without fan service are few and far between. There's certainly nothing in it that would smack of bestiality, or that should upset anyone who wasn't especially uptight.

• OK, I've ordered the first two volumes from Amazon. Curse you, Jeff of Earth-J, Defiler of Budgets!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Cap, my friend… you need to seriously re-think your decision not to buy Corto Maltese. (Start with the first volume, though.)

‘Nuff said.

This reply was deleted.