Comics Guide for May 27, 2015

I've forgotten whether our Invaders expert Richard Mantle has recommended this or not. If he did, here it is!

ALL-NEW INVADERS VOL. 3: THE MARTIANS ARE COMING (TPB)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by JAMES ROBINSON

Penciled by STEVE PUGH, BARRY KITSON & P. CRAIG RUSSELL

Cover by STEVE PUGH

112 PGS / Rated T+ / $17.99

Jim Hammond, the original Human Torch, has been driven mad by recent events — and now it’s up to Namor to stop his rampage! And in England, Spitfire and Union Jack must face a different kind of Invader — one from another world! In 1917, several WWI heroes banded together to battle Martians — and now the invading aliens are back! As the Winter Soldier dispatches the all-new Invaders to help Spitfire, Tanalth the Pursuer seeks answers — and Toro emerges from his Inhuman cocoon with dangerous new powers! Can the all-new Captain America help him navigate his rebirth? Killraven, the Eternals and the Inhumans guest-star as the Invaders struggle to solve the mystery of the Martian invasion! Plus: The team faces Lash and a neo-Nazi threat, but what do they want with Toro and the Iron Cross? Collecting ALL-NEW INVADERS #11-15.

AQUARION EVOL VOL 2 (GN)

Publisher: ONE PEACE BOOKS

Writer: SHOJI KAWAMORI

Art/Cover: AOGIRI

FC / $11.95

Twelve thousand years after Genesis of Aquarion on the planet Vega, Amata Sora meets Mikono Suzushiro. Together, part of the organization Neo-DEAVA, they must defend their planet from relentless invaders attacking from Altair, a sister planet devoid of females. These two unexpected heroes, along with other young men and women, known as Elements, pilot massive robots in defense of their planet in a battle against malicious assailants who are attempting to abduct women from their home planet.

Shorter pitch: "It's Shogun Warriors meets Mars Needs Women!"I think this is the last volume by Gail Simone. As much as I'm enjoying the new Batgirl, I don't want to slight the old one.

BATGIRL VOL. 5: DEADLINE (TPB)

Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by GAIL SIMONE and MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art by ROBERT GILL, FERNANDO PASARIN and JONATHAN GLAPION

Cover by ALEX GARNER

On sale MAY 27 • 256 pg, FC, $17.99 US

It’s a hazardous reunion between Batgirl and the former Court of Owls assassin Strix as they face off against the lethal new threat known as Silver – the man who knows the secret of Gotham City’s conspiracy of bats! Collects BATGIRL #27-34, ANNUAL #2 and BATGIRL: FUTURES END #1.I love this cover, even if one of the Clayfaces looks a little too much like Solomon Grundy. Have we seen that bat-pose before? My homage sense is getting a tingle.

BATMAN ‘66 #23

Written by JEFF PARKER

Art by BRENT SCHOONOVER and GIANCARLO CARACUZZO

Cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

Blank variant cover

On sale MAY 27 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E • DIGITAL FIRST

Retailers: This issue will arrive in stores with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

Two villains from Batman’s classic Rogues Gallery get the ’66 treatment in two separate stories! First, Hilda, aunt of Marsha Queen of Diamonds, messes with forces beyond her control and brings forth Solomon Grundy. Then, when False Face goes looking for a shape-shifting formula, he ends up creating Clayface!I wish DC would collect all of Batman Adventures, because it was an awfully good comic book that both kids and adults could enjoy. Maybe if this one sells, I'll get my wish.

And, boy, I sure miss Mike Parobeck.

BATMAN ADVENTURES VOL. 2 (TPB)

Written by KELLEY PUCKETT

Art and cover by MIKE PAROBECK and RICK BURCHETT

On sale MAY 27 • 232 pg, FC, $19.99 US

Inspired by Batman: The Animated Series, these stories from BATMAN ADVENTURES #11-20 feature The Joker, Batgirl, Robin, Commissioner Gordon, Man-Bat, Scarecrow and more! This volume includes the story “Batgirl: Day One,” featuring the very first comics appearance of Harley Quinn!

This book was real hit or miss. I don't recall if this particular run was a hit or a miss. Anyone else remember?

BATMAN: LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT VOL. 4 (TPB)

Written by JOSHUA WILLIAMSON, CHARLES SOULE, JIM KRUEGER, MIKE W. BARR and others

Art by WES CRAIG, DENNIS CALERO, DEXTER SOY, TOM RANEY and others

Cover by DAVID WILLIAMS

On sale MAY 27 • 200 pg, FC, $16.99 US

n these stories from LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT 100-PAGE SUPER SPECTACULAR #2-3, Batman battles The Riddler and Clayface. Plus, young Bruce Wayne discovers a cave that will affect his entire life.Wow, this is one Archie book that's really on track. Issue #4 already? Well, it's good, so buy it.

THE BLACK HOOD #4

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI

Art: MICHAEL GAYDOS, RACHEL DEERING, KELLY FITZPATRICK

Cover: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Variant Cover: DAVID MACK

Variant Cover: HOWARD CHAYKIN

Variant Cover: BILL SINEKIEWICZ

On Sale Date: 5/27

32-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

“Bullet’s Kiss, Part 4” The Connection’s lieutenants have discovered the identity of the new Black Hood. And now Greg Hettinger has only 24 hours to unmask their boss -- the man who set Greg up!  As the badly-injured Black Hood struggles to piece together the puzzle, he’s forced to put his faith in a woman who could end up saving him … or sending him straight to the slammer!

I've got five or 10 iterations of Captain Canuck #1 in the Comics Cave, as various short-lived publishers have trotted the character out over the years. The problem, as I see it, is that Captain Canuck isn't intrinsically very interesting -- the only reason I picked it up each time it appeared was in the hopes of more Richard Comely art. Without his participation, there's little reason to buy the book.

CAPTAIN CANUCK #1

Publisher: CHAPTER HOUSE PUBLISHING, INC

Writer/Art/Cover: KALMAN ANDRASOFSZKY

FC / $3.99

Captain Canuck is a reboot of the classic Canadian comic book hero created in 1975 by Richard Comely and Ron Leishman. This all-new series re-imagines Canuck as a kinetic and accessible 21st-century icon. Born of the true north and tested in war, Captain Canuck is thrust into battle at the head of the global crisis intervention agency called Equilibrium. He must find his way as warrior, leader, and ultimately, hero to save humanity from the machinations of Mr. Gold, Blue Fox, and the even more menacing forces that watch from the shadows.I have lots of Elephantmen that I've never read. The premise never grabbed me. But this benefits CBLDF, so buy it.

THE CBLDF PRESENTS: ELEPHANTMEN: SHOTS #1

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Story: RICHARD STARKINGS

Art: DOUGIE BRAITHWAITE, IAN CHURCHILL, BOO COOK, SHAKY KANE, MORITAT, TIM SALE, & DAVE SIM

Cover A: / 1:25 SKETCH VARIANT: J SCOTT CAMPBELL

Cover B: TIM SALE

MAY 27 / 40 PAGES / FC / M / $5.99

Led by Tim Sale’s 9-page WHEN THE NIGHT COMES story, this special collects all the ELEPHANTMEN strips from HERO COMICS, LIBERTY, and THE THOUGHT BUBBLE ANTHOLOGY. Features the hard to find JUDGE DREDD, STRONTIUM DOG, and MARINE MAN crossovers and beautiful covers by J SCOTT CAMPBELL and TIM SALE! All proceeds go to the CBLDF!Here's the final week of Convergence titles, which we'll talk about HERE.

CONVERGENCE #8

Written by JEFF KING and SCOTT LOBDELL

Art by CARLO PAGULAYAN and STEPHEN SEGOVIA

Cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN

Variant cover by TONY S. DANIEL and MARK MORALES

1:25 Variant cover by JILL THOMPSON

1:100 Superman sketch variant cover by JOHN ROMITA, JR.

On sale MAY 27 • 40 pg, FC, 8 of 8, $4.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for more information

All the heroes of the DC Universe unite to face a crisis of infinite proportions – but when all is done, there can be only one reality. But will even that survive the battle?CONVERGENCE: ACTION COMICS #2

Written by JUSTIN GRAY

Art by CLAUDE ST-AUBIN and SEAN PARSONS

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

Variant cover designed by CHIP KIDD

On sale MAY 27 • 40 pg, FC, 2 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Will Superman and Power Girl meet their demise at the hands of Red Son Wonder Woman?

This extra-sized issue includes a sneak peek at what’s coming up in the DC Universe!

CONVERGENCE: BLUE BEETLE #2

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

Art by YISHAN LI

Cover by BRET BLEVINS

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! A battle you never thought you’d see: Blue Beetle, Captain Atom and The Question battle an army of Legionnaires!

This extra-sized issue includes a sneak peek at what’s coming up in the DC Universe!

CONVERGENCE: BOOSTER GOLD #2

Written by DAN JURGENS

Art by ALVARO MARTINEZ and RAUL FERNANDEZ

Cover by DAN JURGENS and DANNY MIKI

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Booster Golds…Time Masters…is it possible that the combined might of these heroes can put an end to the Convergence battles?

CONVERGENCE: CRIME SYNDICATE #2

Written by BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art and cover by PHIL WINSLADE

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! The Crime Syndicate from the past and the heroes from the farthest future of DC One Million clash on the Convergence battlefields!

CONVERGENCE: DETECTIVE COMICS #2

Written by LEN WEIN

Art by DENYS COWAN and BILL SIENKIEWICZ

Cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Helena Wayne and Dick Grayson attempt to keep Bruce Wayne’s memory alive as they come to blows with the powerful Superman Red Son characters!

This extra-sized issue includes a sneak peek at what’s coming up in the DC Universe!CONVERGENCE: INFINITY INC. #2

Written by JERRY ORDWAY

Art and cover by BEN CALDWELL

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Jade, Obsidian, Nuklon and the rest of the Infinity Inc. team try to prove that they deserve their place among the Earth-2 heroes as they fight the post-apocalyptic Jonah Hex!

This extra-sized issue includes a sneak peek at what’s coming up in the DC Universe!CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #2

Written by DAN ABNETT

Art by TOM DERENICK and TREVOR SCOTT

Cover by DAN PANOSIAN

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! The original Justice Society is powered up and ready to fight the Weaponers of Qward – but with youth and power comes the ultimate cost!

Interestingly, in the original JLA/JSA crossover that introduced Earth-X (now Earth-10), and therefore the Freedom Fighters, Plastic Man and the Blackhawks had been killed by the Nazis before the story began. I assume that was because those characters already existed on Earth-One, where the Quality characters eventually ended up, and they didn't want the duplication. There's no such problem here, so we finally get to see Plas back with the other Quality folks!

CONVERGENCE: PLASTIC MAN AND THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS #2

Written by SIMON OLIVER

Art by JOHN McCREA

Cover by HILARY BARTA

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! The fantastic Plastic Man and the Freedom Fighters take the battle to the Earth-X Nazis and the robot super heroes from Futures End!

CONVERGENCE: SHAZAM! #2

Written by JEFF PARKER

Art and cover by EVAN “DOC” SHANER

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! The shining city of Fawcett takes on the murky gaslit world of Gotham City as Captain Marvel finds the Victorian-era Batman prepared to take on the mightiest of mortals! At the heart of the battle a new alliance of villains comes together to destroy the future, and one world will be sent to oblivion...

Once again, my homage sense is tingling. Cover A is an homage to Uncanny X-Men #132! (See below.)

CONVERGENCE: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #2

Written by PAUL LEVITZ

Art by JIM FERN, JOE RUBINSTEIN and SHANNON WHEELER

Cover by AARON LOPRESTI

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Cartoonist Scribbly Jibbet chronicles the battle of the reformed Seven Soldiers of Victory against the Qward invasion in the most unusual story in all of Convergence!

This extra-sized issue includes a sneak peek at what’s coming up in the DC Universe!The Heisman Trophy pose is pretty funny. And in case you don't know, what Deadpool is carrying is the head of Zombie Deadpool from the Marvel Zombies series. Even without a body, the zombie lives on -- and despite the lack of a larynx, is still a Merc with a Mouth ... that bites!

DEADPOOL CLASSIC VOL. 11: MERC WITH A MOUTH (TPB)

Written by VICTOR GISCHLER & MARY HK CHOI

Penciled by BONG DAZO, KYLE BAKER, ROB LIEFELD, MATTEO SCALERA & KEN LASHLEY

Cover by ED MCGUINNESS

376 PGS / Parental Advisory / $34.99

Under contract with A.I.M., Deadpool ventures into the Savage Land to obtain the ultimate biological weapon: his own dang head! Yup, Zombie Deadpool’s decapitated head makes its glorious return, and he’s tired of being carried around everywhere. Deadpool will have to keep his own head on straight if he hopes to survive these Savage Land shenanigans and collect his bounty. Then, as if the zombie thing wasn’t enough, it’s alternate-universe mayhem as Deadpool encounters a multitude of malevolent mirror images: S.H.I.E.L.D Major Wilson, Wanda Wilson and the Deadpool Kid! But what happens when Deadpool, A.I.M. agents and his foxy new ladylove travel into the Marvel Zombieverse to try to return “Headpool” home? Plus: an extended look at the life and loves of Wanda Wilson, the maniacal Lady Deadpool! Collecting DEADPOOL: MERC WITH A MOUTH #1-13 and LADY DEADPOOL #1.I didn't much care for Deathlok the first time around, in the Bronze Age. Not sure I want to read any more about him now. Can anyone recommend him?

DEATHLOK VOL. 1: CONTROL. ALT. DELETE. (TPB)

Written by NATHAN EDMONDSON

Penciled by MIKE PERKINS

Cover by MIKE PERKINS

120 PGS / Rated T+ / $16.99

A medic who travels to war zones to heal the wounded, Henry Hayes has no idea that when he’s in the field, he is activated by the mysterious Biotek group and becomes the ultimate weapon of assassination and war: Deathlok! But now, other parties good and bad are taking an interest in him. Deathlok tackles globetrotting missions including racing the clock in the Philippines; infiltrating a hostage situation in Stuttgart, Germany; taking on an aerial assault on a battlefield; and even stopping an airplane in mid-flight! Meanwhile, S.H.I.E.L.D. agent Andrea Hope investigates Henry Hayes, and she’ll go to an Avenger for help! As Domino finds Michael Collins, the previous Deathlok, Henry Hayes lands in the hospital while searching for his daughter! But will S.H.I.E.L.D. or Biotek track him down first? Collecting DEATHLOK (2014) #1-5 and material from ORIGINAL SINS #1.I don't read this book, but I really enjoyed the movie. Maybe I should read this book.

EDWARD SCISSORHANDS, VOL. 1: PARTS UNKNOWN

Publisher: IDW Publishing

Writer: KATE LETH

Art/Cover: DREW RAUSCH

An all-new adventure revisits Edward Scissorhands! Two generations of exile have left Edward digging through abandoned experiments, but once he wakes up a creature left buried, he discovers he isn't the only one missing a vital piece. Collects issues #1–5.

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 124 pages

“The story continues in the same delightfully whimsical and touching fashion of the film. An outstanding comic for all.” -- SciFiPulse.netI didn't see the movie, so this issue (which I read in review form) didn't make a lot of sense to me. But I bet it's exciting for those who loved the movie and want to see more.

FIGHT CLUB 2 #1

Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer: CHUCK PALAHNIUK

Art/Variant Cover: CAMERON STEWART

Colors: DAVE STEWART

Cover: DAVID MACK

Variant Cover: LEE BERMEJO

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

Tyler Durden lives!

Some imaginary friends never go away ...

Ten years after starting Project Mayhem, he lives a mundane life. A kid, a wife, pills to keep his destiny at bay. But it won’t last long; the wife has seen to that. The time has come ...

Rize or Die.

• Chuck Palahniuk writes the sequel to Fight Club!

• One of the most anticipated comics of the year.

• Named to ComicBook.com’s Top 10 Comic Events We Can’t Wait For in 2015!

“The first rule of Fight Club might be not to talk about it, but tongues are already wagging about Chuck Palahniuk’s sequel to his 1996 novel.” -- The Telegraph (London)

“Just wait until you see what happens next.” -- Hollywood Reporter Heat Vision, 5 Comics to Look Out For in 2015

I don't know a thing about this, but that's a pretty cool cover.

GENIUS, VOL. 1 (TPB)

Story: MARC BERNARDIN & ADAM FREEMAN

Art / Cover: AFUA RICHARDSON

256 PAGES / FC / T+ / $24.99

Collects PILOT SEASON: GENIUS #1 & GENIUS #1-5.

Writers Marc Bernardin and Adam Freeman (Alphas, X-Men Origins: Nightcrawler, The Authority, The Highwaymen) join forces with artist Afua Richardson for a contemporary, action-packed story in GENIUS. The first five issues of the series will be collected into trade paperback and available this May from Top Cow/Image Comics.

GENIUS, VOL. 1, asks: what if the greatest military mind of our generation was born to a people who are already supremely conditioned to wage war, who know nothing but violence from birth and must continually adapt to new predators in order to survive? What if the second coming of Alexander the Great, of Genghis Khan, of Napoleon, of Patton … what if it was a teenaged girl from South Central L.A. named Destiny? And what if she decides to secede three blocks of the ‘hood from the Union? Who is going to take it back from her and her army of gangbangers? Who CAN? This is the story of a city that declares war on a brilliant young woman pushed to the edge.

More praise for GENIUS:

“Genius is sure to hit home in a variety of ways for a variety of people and its ultimately nice to see a comic tackle the issue of poverty and the effects of a broken system for children as well as the fact that this same system may be somewhat responsible for gangs and gang warfare. It's a deep read and once the fighting starts, it grips you in an entirely different way as you begin to understand just how far Destiny and her crew will go to win this war.” -- We the Nerdy

“The reasons stories like this are so important isn't because they fill some quota. It is only through the telling of these stories that we come to understand who we are.” -- Capeless Crusader

“There are a lot of comics that come and go, but there's no doubt in my mind that this one's special and in the end it comes highly recommended.” -- Unleash the Fanboy

If there's a book from 1975 that absolutely deserves this treatment, it is this one.

GIANT-SIZE X-MEN 40TH ANNIVERSARY (HC)

Written by LEN WEIN, CHRIS CLAREMONT, JOSS WHEDON, CHRIS YOST, ED BRUBAKER, ROY THOMAS & KURT BUSIEK

Penciled by DAVE COCKRUM, JOHN BOLTON, NEAL ADAMS, RICK LEONARDI, TREVOR HAIRSINE, MARK TEXEIRA, PETE WOODS, RICH BUCKLER, RODNEY RAMOS, PAT OLLIFFE & JORGE MOLINA

Cover by ALEX ROSS

440 PGS / Rated T+ / $39.99

Trim size: oversized

Celebrate the birthday of the book that made a Giant-Size impact on comics! Revisit the fateful day that Professor X gathered an all-new, all-different, multinational mix of mutants -- as Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Banshee, Sunfire, Thunderbird and some guy named Wolverine unite with Cyclops in the rescue tale that ushered in four decades of uncanny adventures! See how the original team reacted to the newly expanded roster! Learn the tragic histories of Colossus and Wolverine! Ask yourself “What If?” they all died or never even met! And savor the explosive epic that revealed the group’s true deadly genesis and the ill-fated existence of a previous team! Collecting GIANT-SIZE X-MEN #1 and #3-4, CLASSIC X-MEN #1, X-MEN ORIGINS: COLOSSUS #1, X-MEN ORIGINS: WOLVERINE #1, X-MEN: DEADLY GENESIS #1-6, WHAT IF? (1989) #9 and #23, and material from X-MEN GOLD #1.

Here's another Bronze Age concept (see Deathlok above) that I didn't much care for the first time around. And with a better GotG available, why would we want to read the lesser version? Methinks Marvel's just cashing in.

GUARDIANS 3000 VOL. 1: TIME AFTER TIME (TPB)

Written by DAN ABNETT

Penciled by GERARDO SANDOVAL

Cover by ALEX ROSS

128 PGS / Rated T+ / $15.99

The original, classic Guardians of the Galaxy return! Vance Astro, Yondu, Martinex, Starhawk and Charlie-27 fight to save the 31st century from the Badoon. But they soon discover an even worse threat! Time is collapsing, the very future is in danger, and the only possibility of salvation relies on the Guardians’ shoulders. But as the team finds themselves caught in a deathtrap, and Vance encounters a Guardian that has been wiped from all memory, they must find a doorway into the past to save the future — and that means striking a deal with the most dangerous being in the galaxy! Even with allies like Star-Lord and the last Nova, can the Guardians meet their greatest challenge: not just guarding the galaxy, but saving the universe? Collecting GUARDIANS 3000 #1-5 and material from GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY (2013) #14.According to Bleeding Cool, Cover A has been altered to cover Madeline Pryor's underboobs. She'll be wearing a full-body black sheathe outfit. Meanwhile, Cover B will double as the cover to Jailbait Monthly. (Just kidding about that second one.)

INFERNO #1

Writer: DENNIS HOPELESS

Art/Cover: JAVIER GARRON

Variant by ADI GRANOV

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

This May, the WARZONE! is on fire as the red-hot world of the seminal X-Men story returns in the pages of INFERNO #1 – a brand-new Secret Wars series that’s too hot to handle from writer Dennis Hopeless (Spider-Woman, Avengers Arena) and artist Javier Garron (Cyclops)!

Welcome to the ruins of Manhattan, now ablaze with fire and brimstone. Five years ago, a band of demons rose out of the fiery depths and turned Manhattan in to Hell on Earth. The X-Men were all that stood in the way of complete and utter obliteration. The X-Men fought for survival … and the X-Men failed.

Now, on this the fifth anniversary of the fall of Manhattan, Colossus is leading a small band of surviving mutants back into the Inferno. None of them know what resides on the other side of those flames but he knows one thing … he’s not coming back without his sister!

“He lost his sister to the Inferno five years ago and is absolutely obsessed with getting her back,” says writer Dennis Hopeless in an interview with Marvel.com. “Unfortunately, nobody is allowed in or out of the Island. Piotr has been carrying this heavy burden around for years, always waiting for his next opportunity to right the wrong. He’s definitely not somebody you’d want to mess with.”

Amidst the flames lie demons, ghouls and the Goblin Queen herself. Colossus and his team of Nightcrawler, Boom Boom and Domino will face them all in an effort to save Illyana. But can she be saved? Or has she already been lost? The answers lie in the flames True Believer as INFERNO #1 burns bright during Secret Wars this May!

With the Avengers: Infinity War movies coming up, there's an inevitability vibe about this series.

INFINITY GAUNTLET #1

Written by GERRY DUGGAN & DUSTIN WEAVER

Art & Cover by DUSTIN WEAVER

Variant Covers by SKOTTIE YOUNG & ADI GRANOV

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

The stones are calling to one another, and the most powerful artifact in the universe will be re-assembled in INFINITY GAUNTLET #1! A brand new Secret Wars series launching this May, Gerry Duggan (Deadpool, Nova) and Dustin Weaver (Edge of Spider-Verse) bring you a cosmic tale of life, death and the things we do for survival.

“Editor Nick Lowe had discussed a family of Novas, and Dustin had some pretty spectacular ideas on the way in the door,” says Gerry Duggan in an interview with Marvel.com. “It’s a unique opportunity to showcase a family of survivors dealing with an alien invasion that was devastatingly successful.”

Welcome to New Xandar, in the southern hemisphere of Battleworld. Once a beautiful city-state, an invasion from a neighboring zone has left it a barren post-apocalytpic mess. In this hellish wasteland, Anwen Bakian and her family struggle and claw to survive. Mom left years ago to join the Nova Force, and never came back. Now it’s just her, her dad, sister and grandfather – all alone in a realm dominated by giant killer insects.

That is, until she finds a mysterious stone that may or may not unlock incredible cosmic power. Only, now she will find herself being hunted by those who seek the stone for their own – including the madman known as Thanos!

“If you want to see the most imaginative story and story-telling in comics,” says Senior Editor Nick Lowe, “you better pick up INFINITY GAUNTLET. “

A hero’s journey like you’ve never seen before begins this May. Don’t miss the start of an incredible new series from Duggan and Weaver that will flip the cosmic side of the Marvel Universe on its ear when the gauntlet is reborn in INFINITY GAUNTLET #1!

Yawn. Oh, sorry, I forgot I'm supposed to be excited about the Inhumans replacing the X-Men. I'll try to muster up some enthusiasm, if Marvel will give us some Inhumans as interesting and/or as iconic as the characters they're replacing. My favorite was Karnak, and they killed him off straightaway.

INHUMANS: ATTILAN RISING #1

Written by CHARLES SOULE

Art by JOHN TIMMS

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

Variant Cover by W. SCOTT FORBES

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

Design Variant by DAVE JOHNSON

Blank Variant Also Available

There’s a revolution brewing. The fires of rebellion burn brightly on Battleworld if you know where to look. Stretching far and wide into every domain of this new patchwork realm, revolutionaries prepare for war in INHUMANS: ATTILAN RISING #1 – from New York Times Bestselling writer Charles Soule (Death of Wolverine, Inhuman) and artist John Timms (Nova, Harley Quinn)! Medusa, ruler of Attilan and Queen of the Inhumans has been tasked with rooting out the rebels, and crushing the resistance once and for all! The man at the center of the resistance? Her husband Black Bolt. Uh-oh. Things are about to get complicated. Huge drama, spies, action, betrayal and sabotage await True Believer. When the dust settles, who will rise? Find out as the drums of war beat in the Inhuman nation this May in INHUMANS: ATTILAN RISING #1!

I'm beginning to think the whole purpose of Invincible is injury porn.

INVINCIBLE #120

Story: ROBERT KIRKMAN

Art / Cover: RYAN OTTLEY, CLIFF RATHBURN, & JEAN-FRANCOIS BEAULIEU

MAY 20 / 32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

Thragg vs. Battle Beast conclusion!I didn't know there was a film of this title! Was it any good?

KIDS OF THE ROUND TABLE #1

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: ROBERT TINNELL

Pencils/Inks: BRENDON FRAIM

Cover: BRENDON FRAIM (pencils), BRIAN FRAIM (inks)

32 pgs. / All Ages / FC / $3.99

Creator Robert Tinnell returns to the world of his popular film, KIDS OF THE ROUND TABLE. Kevin is a normal middle school kid who suddenly finds himself encountering the legendary wizard Merlin – and discovers he has a destiny that involves King Arthur’s sword, Excalibur, and grave danger in the form of the king’s greatest enemy!I never watched more than the first episode of this show back in the '80s when it debuted, because I found it ill-conceived and boring.

Of course, I was a smart aleck twentysomething who found everything ill-conceived and boring, so there's that.

KNIGHT RIDER, VOL. 1

Publisher: LION FORGE COMICS

Distributor: IDW PUBLISHING

Writers: GEOFFREY THORNE, SHANNON ERIC DENTON

Art: JASON JOHNSON, BRIAN DENHAM

112 pages, TPB, $14.99

Pub Date: May 27, 2105

Michael Knight and KITT – everyone’s ultimate dream car – return to action in this high-octane thriller, updated with tomorrow’s tech to combat the threats of today.

Secret agent Michael Knight just wants to take his girlfriend Katherine out for a night on the town. The bad news is that Katherine is also a brilliant scientist whom he’s been assigned to protect, along with her top-secret “Project: Rider” – not a good combination for a romantic evening!  When a team of mercenaries crashes their date, it’s up to Michael and the mysterious Bishop to keep Katherine safe and the project under wraps. What follows is a high-speed race through the streets and mountains of California in which loyalties are tested, alliances betrayed, and a global conspiracy is revealed. And, of course, at least one incredible talking car! All the turbo-charged thrill of the classic TV series is back in this high-tech spy-fi adventure!

I honestly, genuinely, sincerely find Cam Kennedy's art replusive. But some people just love it. If you're in the latter category, this is for you!

THE LIGHT AND DARKNESS WAR

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: TOM VEITCH

Art: CAM KENNEDY

208 pages, HC, FC,

$24.99 U.S. / $27.95 CAN / £17.99 UK

FROM THE CREATIVE TEAM OF  STAR WARS: DARK EMPIRE

May 27 sees a brand-new collection of ​ the ​classic saga THE LIGHT AND DARKNESS WAR from industry legends Tom Veitch (Star Wars, Animal Man) and Cam Kennedy (Daredevil, 2000AD) ​ hit comics stores!

Doorgunner Lazarus Jones is consumed with nightmares and grief after his helicopter crew is killed in Vietnam and spirals into depression and alcoholism. When a car crash hurls crippled Vietnam veteran Lazarus Jones into a coma, he once more finds himself with his brothers-in-arms -- dead warriors in an alternate reality, fighting an endless war against the forces of evil!​

“A ravishingly beautiful book!” -- Andy Diggle

A truly classic saga created by the ​Tom Veitch and Cam Kennedy -- the acclaimed team behind the legendary Star Wars spin-off series, Dark Empire -- this riveting and wondrously illustrated tale has been fully restored and remastered, and is packed with stunning new arts and in-depth features!

PACKED WITH NEVER-BEFORE-SEEN CONCEPT ART, COVER GALLERIES AND SKETCHBOOKS!

For more information visit:

http://titan-comics.com/c/214-the-light-darkness-war/

I haven't seen Rick Geary do an original story in a long time. I'm so enamored of his Treasury of Murder series that I will certainly pick this up!

LOUISE BROOKS DETECTIVE (HC)

Publisher: NBM

Writer/Art/Cover: RICK GEARY

$15.99

For the past two decades, NBM Publishing has released Rick Geary's The Treasury of Victorian Murder and Treasury of XXth Century Murder series.  Over the years he's chronicled such iconic true crimes as Jack the Ripper, the Lindbergh baby kidnapping, the assassination of Abraham Lincoln and the lives of Sacco and Vanzetti.

Stepping away for a bit from his impressive body of work in the Treasury of Murder true crime series, Geary creates a fictional story around a favorite actress: Louise Brooks. Spun around her actual brief meteoric career as a smoldering film actress who popularized bangs, Geary fantasizes about her coming back to her home town of Wichita where she becomes intrigued by a murder involving a friend, a famous reclusive writer and a shady beau. Not before she gets herself in great danger will she emerge with the solution the police fail to grasp!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• It was late and I was tired when I read the review e-copy, and the type was small enough that I had to blow up a lot of panels on my iPad, which disrupts the reading experience. But I suspect those are excuses for a book I just didn't enjoy very much. As you can tell from the solicits, Kot introduces a lot of characters and situations that have no apparent bearing on each other. That can pay off if the inevitable connections have a head-slapping moment, but so far they just seem disjointed and unrelated. The quick jump-cutting, extremely dark art (no joke, I sometimes had trouble telling black people apart) and reliance on ham-handed philosophy made reading this a chore.

Your experience may be entirely different. But I won't be back for the second issue.

MATERIAL #1

Material_01a.jpg?width=250Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Story: ALES KOT

Art: WILL TEMPEST

Cover: TOM MULLER

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

Bestselling writer Ales Kot (ZERO), artist Will Tempest, designer Tom Muller and letterer Clayton Cowles come together for an all-new thought-provoking suspense series that explores the ephemeral state of humanity in MATERIAL.

In MATERIAL, a man comes home from Guantanamo Bay, irrevocably changed. An actress receives an offer that can revive her career. A boy survives a riot and becomes embedded within a revolutionary movement. A philosopher is contacted by a being that dismantles his beliefs.

Look around you. Everything is material.

"Making Material keeps me sane,” confessed Kot. “It's a story that begins in America and spreads everywhere. It defies easy categorization. Our chief aim is to be truthful about LIFE as it is NOW through a vast VARIETY of explored HUMAN EXPERIENCE. Material also marks the return of 9-panel grid as a standard tool in a comic series. Expect backmatter files by excellent artists, writers, journalists and other beings. Expect new readers coming to comic book stores asking for it. Ideally, Material will be our Cerebus -- in that we intend to keep this one going for a long, long time."

Well, why not? He is a mobile organism designed only for killing, after all.

M.O.D.O.K. ASSASSIN #1 (of 5)

1801439621?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936689211?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801515659?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: CHRIS YOST

Art: AMILCAR PINNA

Cover by DAVID LAFUENTE

Variant by TBA

There’s a new killer in town, and he’s taking the Secret Wars by storm. Evil has a new face. A giant face with no body. Prepare to meet the deadliest hitman on all of Battleworld in M.O.D.O.K. ASSASSIN #1 – a brand new Secret Wars limited series coming this May from writer Christopher Yost (co-writer Marvel’s Thor: The Dark World, Amazing X-Men) and artist Amilcar Pinna (All-New Ultimates)!

Welcome to Killville, the only place on all of Battleworld where murder is always the correct answer. If you’ve got a problem, it’s nothing a little killing won’t solve. And in a world populated by the most fearsome thieves, mercenaries and ne’er do wells – there is one who is a HEAD above the rest. He is M.O.D.O.K.! The Mental Organism Designed Only for KILLING! And once he’s got you in his sights you’re good as dust!

“The fun here is showing how M.O.D.O.K. stands out against some of the worst that the Marvel Universe has to offer,” says writer Chris Yost in an interview with Marvel.com. “’It’s good to be bad’ is kind of the mission statement here. Can M.O.D.O.K. grow past his design? Would anyone want him to? Those are some big lofty theme-y questions, but let’s be clear…you’re going to see M.O.D.O.K. kill a bunch of people.”

Now, Killville’s most notorious mercenary is open for business, but this next job may put him in over his head! M.O.D.O.K. is going toe-to-toe with Doc Ock, Bullseye and even Baron Mordo – and that’s just the first issue, True Believer! Bullets will fly and heads will roll this May in M.O.D.O.K. ASSASSIN #1!

1936691265?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936691485?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936693700?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936696040?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801515659?profile=RESIZE_180x180I don't remember these stories at all. But then, I don't remember 1989 at all.

NICK FURY, AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. CLASSIC VOL. 3 (TPB)

1936602786?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by DOUG MURRAY, DG CHICHESTER & SCOTT LOBDELL

Penciled by NORMAN DWYER, JACKSON GUICE, ERNIE STINER, DAVE HOOVER & MC WYMAN

Cover by JACKSON GUICE

288 PGS / Rated T / $34.99

Nick Fury and his poker buddies Thing, Mr. Fantastic and Captain America play for high stakes against the Mandarin — but it could soon be Baron Strucker’s Hydra that holds all the cards! When terrorists attack, S.H.I.E.L.D. Central falls. The Avengers and the Fantastic Four join the fight — but after heavy losses, Nick launches a recruitment drive for new agents. Will Wolverine respond? Then, Ol’ One-Eye could be about to learn that Infinity isn’t forever as he hunts for the Formula that keeps him (relatively) young. Will the search kill both him and the cyborg known as Deathlok? And when a group of villains unleash havoc on the Helicarrier, they threaten an early end to the careers of Ivory, Knock-About, Psi-Borg and Violence — the brand-new Super Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.! Collecting NICK FURY, AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (1989) #24-35.

1801515659?profile=RESIZE_180x180As I suspected, this character (and title) will continue after Secret Wars is over.

OLD MAN LOGAN #1

1936696339?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936698451?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936698645?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936700742?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936700865?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art & Cover by ANDREA SORRENTINO

Variant Covers by STEVE MCNIVEN, ANDREA SORRENTINO & SKOTTIE YOUNG

Blank Variant Also Available

40 PGS / Rated T / $4.99

Your eyes do not deceive you! Secret Wars has made the impossible possible and the battle-weary hero returns to the fight once more in OLD MAN LOGAN #1! From New York Times Bestselling writer Brian Michael Bendis (All-New X-Men, Miles Morales: Ultimate Spider-Man) and rising star artist Andrea Sorrentino (All-New X-Men Annual, Uncanny X-Men Annual) comes a brand-new series returning fans to the world of one of the most revered and iconic X-Men stories of all time!

Welcome back to the Wastelands, a land dominated by victorious super villains. The greatest heroes the world has ever known – butchered and murdered by their arch-enemies. Tyrants, terrors and madmen now rule over the dusty wastes with an iron fist. Hope left this land a long time ago. But there is one man who may yet make a difference. A man with nothing else to lose…

“The original Old Man Logan story is a modern masterpiece,” says Marvel SVP, Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Fans have clamored for a return to that world and that character and Secret Wars has blown that door wide open. Bendis and Sorrentino are going to deliver an event-caliber story and an epic return for a fan-favorite that should NOT BE MISSED!”

Now, amidst the fury and chaos of Battleworld, a reluctant warrior pops his claws again and returns to combat. And the war for Battleworld begins in his own backyard. As the events of SECRET WARS unfold, will he find his life’s mission to rid the world of evil more attainable – or more impossible than ever before?

The drums of war beat in the Wasteland. And a hero is reforged in the fiery crucible of Battleworld. The journey begins with a resounding SNIKT this May as the X-Man formerly known as Wolverine crashes in to Secret Wars for OLD MAN LOGAN #1!

1936700843?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936702964?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936704918?profile=RESIZE_320x320

1936689639?profile=RESIZE_180x180Last issue was zombies in the Revolutionary War. Is it werewolves this issue?

THE ORDER OF THE FORGE #2 (OF 3)

1801523721?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer: VICTOR GISCHLER

Art: TAZIO BETTIN

Cover: JUAN FERREYRA

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

When the motley crew of Washington, Franklin, and Revere discover a sinister plot to enslave the free world, they must use their newfound powers to strike back -- but not before they engage in battle with the spectral force of America’s first conquerors!

• New series from Victor Gischler (Angel & Faith)!

• A dark fantasy/historical fiction genre smash-up!

• Perfect for fans of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter!1801483492?profile=RESIZE_180x180PARTS UNKNOWN VOL 1

STK664236.jpg?width=250Publisher: AFTERBURN

Writer: BEAU SMITH

Art/Cover: BRAD GORBY

FC / $18.99

Scalons. Ruthless reptile-like beings that are well versed in the ways of rape, pillage and plunder. When the atmosphere of their home planet went bad and killed the females of their race they knew the males had to branch out and do so quickly before they too were claimed by the toxic air of the planet Scalon. Earth became their new home, one that needed to be furnished to satisfy their own twisted needs. That meant spreading their evil seed with Earth women to produce a new hybrid race so that they could officially claim Earth as their own. To do this it meant that Earth women would be captured and taken against their will. Anyone that got in their way would die. Two members of an elite Chicago crime unit are going to try and make sure this doesn't happen!

Shorter pitch: "It's An Inconvenient Truth meets Mars Needs Women!"

(And won't Anthony Bourdain sue?)

1801464399?profile=RESIZE_180x180If, like me, you never read any of the individual issues of the pirates/private eye mash-up, this is your chance to catch up.

PIRATE EYE VOL 1: EXILED FROM EXILE (TPB)

1801405394?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: JOSIAH GRAHN

Art/Cover: CARL YONDER

128 pgs. /Teen/ FC / $14.99

Former pirate Smitty is finally adjusting to his new life as a detective for hire when an old enemy takes it all away. Now Smitty will be forced to find out just how far he will go to stay alive, to retrieve what he's lost and to take revenge.

Collects the critically-acclaimed Pirate Eye: Exiled from Exile #1-4.1801467370?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936707829?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936711094?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936713271?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936715631?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936717783?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936719949?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• I'm not on Avatar's PR list, so I don't have any special insight or knowledge about this book. The fact that it's by Alan Moore is reason enough to be interested.

PROVIDENCE #1

STK670273.jpg?width=525STK670274.jpg?width=250STK670275.jpg?width=250STK670270.jpg?width=250STK670276.jpg?width=2501936689639?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: ALAN MOORE

Art/Cover: JACEN BURROWS

Mature/$3.99

The most important work of 2015 begins here with the long-awaited arrival of Alan Moore's breathtaking epic PROVIDENCE with his artistic partner Jacen Burrows.  In his most carefully considered work in decades, Moore deconstructs all of Lovecraft's concepts, reinventing the entirety of his work inside a painstakingly researched framework of American history. Both sequel and prequel to NEONOMICON, PROVIDENCE begins in 1919 and blends the mythical visions of HPL flawlessly into the cauldron of racial and sexual intolerance that defined that era on the East Coast of America. Every line from artist Jacen Burrows is perfectly honed to complete this immersive experience. The result is a breathtaking masterpiece of sequential art that will define modern horror for this generation. Invoking a comparison it to a prior literary masterpiece is not something to be handled lightly, but in scope, importance and execution: Providence is the Watchmen of horror.

Moore has designed every cover, every single page, and every nuance of this work to create his most fully-realized vision to date.  There are no ads, all 32 pages are written by Moore, and Jacen Burrows has spent the past two years slaving over the finest detail possible on the pages.  The entire work is already written, intricately crafted to tie the most nuanced threads together over the breadth of the series.  Painstakingly researched, meticulously produced, this is a sequential masterpiece that will serve as important a call to the next generation of comic book writers as Watchmen did 30 years ago:  this is a definitive demonstration of just how good a comic book can be. Available with Regular, Pantheon, Portrait, Dreamscape Wraparound, Women of HPL, and a special Ancient Tome Incentive cover, all by collaborator Jacen Burrows.1801464399?profile=RESIZE_180x180Whoa! Two issues in three months? This book is on the verge of being on a schedule!

I have to say, as much as I enjoy the story -- it's rather fun to see the Archie kids put in "Elseworlds" -- I don't really care for the art. It has a sketchy, unfinished look.

SABRINA #3

1936689803?profile=RESIZE_320x3204072900-sabrina_3var.jpg?width=2501801239540?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936689896?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: ROBERTO AGUIRRE-SACASA

Art/Cover: ROBERT HACK

Creepshow Variant Cover: ROBERT HACK

32-page, full color comic
, $3.99 U.S., TEEN +

Rejected by the Council, Sabrina takes matters into her own hands to find Harvey’s missing soul. Recruiting two other young witches (from a neighboring coven), Sabrina holds a séance to locate her missing friend, but as ever, Madame Satan is pulling the strings behind the scenes, and what Sabrina taps into is much more dangerous—and diabolical. And will send our beloved teen witch on an epic quest.1801239540?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936690264?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936692330?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936694354?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936696449?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936698507?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936700499?profile=RESIZE_180x180I thought this was a four-issue miniseries, so you can imagine my confusion when I read the first four and thought it was over.

THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE #5

1936620804?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by NEIL GAIMAN

Art by J.H. WILLIAMS III

Cover A by J.H. WILLIAMS III

Cover B by DAVE McKEAN

1:100 special ink variant cover by J.H. WILLIAMS III

1:200 special ink variant cover by DAVE McKEAN

32 pg, FC, 5 of 6, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS • Combo Pack Edition: $4.99 US

The fate of the entire universe hangs in the balance when Dream finally gets his mother’s full attention. Magic, joy, war and heartbreak are brought to life on the pages with epic luminosity in the penultimate issue of THE SANDMAN: OVERTURE.

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.1801464414?profile=RESIZE_180x180The nostalgia is strong in these books.

THE SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN VOLUME 19 (TPB)

1801496342?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writer: ROY THOMAS

Pencils: JOHN BUSCEMA

Inks: ERNIE CHAN, TONY DEZUNIGA,

Cover: JOE JUSKO

B&W, 504 pages, $19.99

TPB, 7″ x 10″

While Conan fights to survive in a hostile kingdom, far away a similar dire circumstance is faced by an adventurer whose fate will determine Conan’s very existence. But this land is not of the Hyborian Age -- it is 1920s Mexico, and the adventurer is writer Robert E. Howard! Collects stories from Marvel’s The Savage Sword of Conan the Barbarian #192-201.

Over 500 pages, value priced.1801499944?profile=RESIZE_180x180

saswoconv19p1.jpg?width=150saswoconv19p2.jpg?width=150saswoconv19p3.jpg?width=1501801499944?profile=RESIZE_180x180saswoconv19p4.jpg?width=150saswoconv19p5.jpg?width=150saswoconv19p6.jpg?width=1501801499944?profile=RESIZE_180x180As I recall, 2099 wasn't a very happy time. Not sure I want to see what the Avengers would look like!

SECRET WARS 2099 #1 (of 5)

1801414503?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer: PETER DAVID

Art: WILL SLINEY

Cover by DAVE RAPOZA

Variant by TBA

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

When everything ends, it’s time to go back to the future! Behold Secret Wars’ WARZONE! and prepare for the ride of your life in SECRET WARS 2099 #1 – the newest Secret Wars series from the acclaimed Spider-Man 2099 creative team of Peter David and Will Sliney!

The patch-work surface of Marvel’s Secret Wars has now merged with Marvel 2099 and a new landscape has emerged as futuristic versions of your favorite characters, never-before-seen, make their first appearance and fold into the oncoming battle! Prepare to meet – the AVENGERS 2099 – Captain America, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Hercules! But in a world where megacorporations rule with an iron fist – what room is there for Earth’s Mightiest Heroes?

“2099 has always been a bit dystopian, with corporate America out of control and heroes few and far between. For the first time, we’re going to see how that affects the Avengers,” says series Editor Devin Lewis. “What do the Avengers look like and stand for in a world where greed is the accepted ‘good’? How will that affect their values or outlooks? And, is there anyone left from the old days who still believe in the ideals of the Heroic Age?

The future stage has been forged and the Avengers are set to defend those who cannot protect themselves. But just who is the mysterious force opposing 2099’s Mightiest Heroes? “The group that chooses to stand against the Avengers is made up of the last people anyone would expect,” proclaims Lewis.

This May, jump back to the year 2099 as Marvel’s Secret Wars incorporates the cyber punk dystopia in SECRET WARS 2099!

1936700667?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936702757?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936702749?profile=RESIZE_180x180

This sounds like an anthology that could be fun.

SECRET WARS JOURNAL #1 (of 5)

1801408555?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936702890?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936704830?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936706807?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writers: PRUDENCE SHEN & MICHAEL ROSENBERG

Art: RAMON BACHS & LUCA PIZZARI

Cover by KEVIN WADA

Variant Cover by ERIC NGUYEN

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

WITNESS THE STRANGE TALES OF BATTLEWORLD! TWO SCINTILLATING STORIES OF SECRET WARS!

This May, witness the strangest Battleworld has to offer as untold tales of this new, patchwork planet unfold in SECRET WARS JOURNAL #1! Jam packed with two explosive stories each issue, experience the Secret Wars from a completely new side as rising star creators bring you high octane adventure! This issue, writer Prudence Shen and artist Ramon Bachs bring you the Young Avengers of 1602! Is Lady Kate the nefarious Arrowhead Bandit who robs from the rich and gives to the poor using her hawk-like eyes? Then, writer Michael Rosenberg and artist Luca Pizzari take you to the realm of Egyptia. Can the enslaved X-Men there overthrow their tyrannical overlord Khonshu? Find out this May as two tales of the Secret Wars come to comic shops and digital devices in SECRET WARS JOURNAL #1!

1936708492?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936708600?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936711300?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936711706?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801484036?profile=RESIZE_180x180Where do you hide a gun in those outfits? (Yes, that's a rhetorical question.)

SCARLETT COUTURE #2 of 4)

STK669737.jpg?width=250STK669738.jpg?width=2501801464399?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover:  DES TAYLOR

32PP / FC / $3.99

Things are heating up for Scarlett Carver, secret agent and fashion heiress.

Having rescued a kidnap victim and escaped an explosion by the skin of her teeth, Scarlett finds the clock is ticking if she is going to discover exactly who is behind the murders of seemingly innocent models – and what it is that they want!

Scarlett Couture #2 comes with 2 covers to collect.

For more details visit:

http://titan-comics.com/c/257-scarlett-couture/

1936713941?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936716112?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936718687?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936718885?profile=RESIZE_180x180Sure, you can date a girl with this much obvious self-loathing, no prob. Just don't expect it to end well.

SEX #21

Sex_21.jpg?width=250Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Story: JOE CASEY

Art / Cover A: PIOTR KOWALSKI

Cover B: DUSTIN NGUYEN

Cover C: JIM MAHFOOD

MAY 27 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

The next phase begins right here.1936719032?profile=RESIZE_180x180I read the first issue of this. I'm not sure what's going on here, but at a guess I'd say that our protagonist is one of a lot of boys born at the same time that were offspring from members of a cult. Our guy somehow ended up in child services, and now, as an adult, the cult wants him back.

That's my guess. It was interesting enough that I'll be back for the next issue. I'm not crazy about the art, which is of the Jock school of scritchy-scratch.

SONS OF THE DEVIL #1

SondsOfTheDevil_01.jpg?width=250Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Story: BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art / cover A: TONI INFANTE

Cover B: FRANCIS MANAPUL

Cover C: PAOLO RIVERA

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

SONS OF THE DEVIL follows one man's discovery of familial ties to a cult. Announced at Image Expo by creators Brian Buccellato (Detective Comics, Injustice) and artist Toni Infante, SONS OF THE DEVIL launches on May 27. Image Comics is pleased to reveal early artwork (not for the faint of heart) for the chilling new series.

SONS OF THE DEVIL is a dark look at a blue collar 25-year-old orphan who learns he is the son of a cult leader. Akin to True Detective and The Following, SONS OF THE DEVIL is an exploration into the dark side of human psychology. It’s a grounded take on cults that balances the real world with the supernatural. It’s gritty, character-driven, and tonally lays somewhere between SOUTHERN BASTARDS and NAILBITER.

Watch the trailer for the new series here.

Sons of the Devil - Episode 1 from brian buccellato on Vimeo.

1936719421?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936721292?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936723351?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936725332?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936727348?profile=RESIZE_180x180One reason I didn't watch this show is that I see no reason to glamorize violent, drug-dealing, (usually) white-supremacist thugs. (See: Recent events in Waco, Texas.)

SONS OF ANARCHY VOL 1 (LTD ED HC)

STK671206.jpg?width=250Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: CHRISTOPHER GOLDEN

Art: DAMIAN COUCEIRO

Cover: DESIGN

Mature/$39.99

WHAT'S TO LOVE: The Sons of Anarchy TV series has captivated the attention of the entire BOOM! team with its smart plotting, compelling characters, and modern vision of the outlaw genre. We love the show so much we couldn't wait to help expand the world of SAMCRO.

WHAT IT IS: With nowhere left to turn, a troubled girl named Kendra finds herself back in Charming in desperate need for help. When the Sons of Anarchy realize she's the estranged daughter of an old member, Tig rallies the club to offer protection. But if SAMCRO wants to keep themselves and Kendra out of an early grave, they'll have to step into the line of fire and put alliances aside to do what's right. Written by New York

Times best-selling author Christopher Golden (Buffy the Vampire Slayer) and illustrated by Damian Couceiro (Planet of the Apes), this special edition hardcover collects the first six issues of the ongoing comic book series and runs parallel with Season 5 of Kurt Sutter's hit television series. It also features a gallery of extra content detailing artist Damian Couceiro's creative process.1801464399?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• Titan has really been pushing this series hard. I read the first issue, but to my disappointment was only mildly entertained. The story has a clutch of good SF ideas, but overall is a bit cliched -- post-apocalypse survival stories are a dime a dozen these days, I'm afraid. And the art, while very accomplished and attractive, is a bit static. So there's good and bad. But there's enough good that I'll be back for the next issue.

SURFACE TENSION #1 (OF 5)

1936688676?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

1936690786?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936692738?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936694936?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936694976?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writer/Art/Cover: JAY GUNN

40 PGS / $3.99

Wednesday, May 27, 2015

DANGER FROM THE DEPTHS! HUMANITY’S LAST GASP!

THE WATER LEVELS WILL RISE -- AND SO WILL YOUR PULSE!​

Titan Comics is proud to release a brand new creator-owned series called Surface Tension -- a thrilling and timely ecological fable of a planet rebelling against its inhabitants from rising star Jay Gunn!

​This isThe Walking Dead meets Princess Mononoke!​

"We are all made of water"

Months after mysterious corals drew 99% of humanity into the sea, a band of survivors ekes out a hollow existence on a remote British island.

When two people are cast up on the beach, completely blue, but very much alive, the island is thrown into turmoil.

What caused the mass extinction event? How did these two return from the deep, when billions died? Most importantly, what is the coral, and what does it want with the Earth?

A timely ecological fable of a planet rebelling against its inhabitants -- perfect for fans of The Walking Dead, The Day of the Triffids and Invasion of the Body Snatchers -- Surface Tension is a gorgeous adventure of unprecedented scope. The oceans have never seemed so threatening!

"A story for our times, written and drawn with passion!" -- Pat Mills (Judge Dredd, Sláine)

"Wondrous and grotesque ... an unnerving portrait of the human race at it's most helpless!" -- Broken Frontier

"A brand-new talent for a brand-new horror, Surface Tension is set to be a monstrous hit!" -- Laura Sneddon, Comics Beat

"Mysterious and compelling" -- The Scoop

"Colorful visuals, terrifying creatures and melting human flesh ... a suspenseful story and a cautionary tale!" -- Fangirl Nation

"Awash in monsters and mystery ... an infinite source of inspiration" -- Fanboy Comics

Check out the teaser trailer  to his hotly anticipated new series:​

1936695112?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936695185?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Preview pages:

1936695317?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936697378?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936699393?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936699538?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936701409?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936694936?profile=RESIZE_180x180Titan also sent out this National Geographic cover mock-up and press release, which is pretty funny.

HERE TO SAVE US?

1936703418?profile=RESIZE_320x320NATURAL GEOGRAPHIC COVER STORY: RISE OF THE CORALS

FULL EXPOSE SURFACES MAY 27

In this month's publication dedicated entirely to the Earth's most mysterious and modern natural marvels!

• Surface Tension, Rise of The Corals (COVER STORY)

• Reversing The Tide Of Eco-Catastrophy

• Where Did They Come From?

• Living Fossils Found In Ghana

• The Rise Of The Coral Cults

PLUS! Mapping a World Of Coral Giants (FREE PULL-OUT POSTER!) 1936705380?profile=RESIZE_180x180Another mediocre book in a series of (so far) mediocre books which, like most of them, spends a good deal of time acquainting the reader with the lesser-known of the two characters. So, yes, you'll know the premise of Masquerade by the end, if you didn't know it already from Project: Superpowers. Man, I hope this gets better quick!

SWORDS OF SORROW: MASQUERADE / KATO SPECIAL

1936707499?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: G. WILLOW WILSON, ERICA SCHULTZ

Art: NOAH SALONGA

Cover: BILLY TAN

32 pages / Teen + / $3.99

A team-up set up by SWORDS OF SORROW's Gail Simone, featuring the writers that she hand-picked: G. Willow Wilson and Erica Schultz! When Kato's luxury getaway car, Black Beauty, takes on a mind of its own and goes on a rampage through the streets of New York, Masquerade is hot on its trail ... but when the two clash, who will end up in the driver's seat? Strange forces are at work and unlikely heroes must come together to solve the mystery!1936707676?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936710458?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936712452?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936714412?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936714735?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936717091?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936719307?profile=RESIZE_180x180Here's a heads up for TMNT fans.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES/GHOSTBUSTERS: DIRECTOR’S CUT

1801599207?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writers: ERIK BURNHAM, TOM WALTZ

Art/Cover: DAN SCHOENING

FC • 48 pages • $5.99

The cross-over smash from 2014 returns in the form of a Director's Cut Edition! Tom Waltz, Erik Burnham, and Dan Schoening all give behind-the-scenes testimony detailing the creation of the story, and reveal all of the Easter eggs hidden in each issue! The perfect book for any fan of TMNT or Ghostbusters!

1801467472?profile=RESIZE_180x180Surely Thanos is smart enough to beat the Hulk in less than four issues!

THANOS VS. HULK (TPB)

1936591718?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JIM STARLIN

112 PGS / Rated T+ / $16.99

Cosmic legend and fan-favorite creator Jim Starlin delivers an epic tale of Smash versus Space as the Emerald Avenger goes head-to-head with the Mad Titan! It’s bad enough that the Hulk has been kidnapped by Pip the Troll and traded to Annihilus, lord of the Negative Zone. But things get worse when Thanos is thrown into the mix! Annihilus plots to exploit the Hulk in a most unexpected fashion, but Thanos soon launches some Machiavellian machinations of his own. As Annihilus gains vast new might, the Hulk rampages through the Negative Zone — with Annihilus’ perennial rival Blastaar in hot pursuit! But when Thanos’ devious scheme comes to a head, can the Hulk survive? And can Thanos withstand the Hulk’s pure physical power unleashed? Find out right here! Collecting THANOS VS. HULK #1-4 and WARLOCK (1972) #12.1801484036?profile=RESIZE_180x180These are the last covers based on the movie, that complete the movie poster.

UNCANNY AVENGERS: ULTRON FOREVER #1

1801415429?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801415532?profile=RESIZE_320x320

Publisher MARVEL COMICS

Writer: AL EWING

Art/Cover: ALAN DAVIS

AU Movie Connecting Variant G

AU Movie Connecting Variant H

40 PGS / One-Shot / Rated T+ / $4.99

Earth’s Mightiest Heroes from across the time stream collide to take on the greatest threat to our past, present and future in AVENGERS: ULTRON FOREVER #1, NEW AVENGERS: ULTRON FOREVER #1 and UNCANNY AVENGERS: ULTRON FOREVER #1 – a trio of oversized specials coming in 2015! Written by fan-favorite scribe Al Ewing (Captain America & The Mighty Avengers, Loki: Agent of Asgard) and drawn by legendary artist Alan Davis – prepare for a new team to assemble!

Peer into the future of the Marvel Universe as seen in the pages of Avengers. Ruled by the maniacal Ultron, no heroes remain alive. To save our future, Avengers plucked from all eras of the Marvel Universe must come together!

Now – the present day Vision and Black Widow, James Rhodes, the Incredible Hulk, two generations of Thor and Danielle Cage, the Captain America of the future must join forces if we are to have any hope for tomorrow! Yet as they travel into the future to defeat Ultron and his servants, even they will not be prepared for what they find.

“If I had to pick one word to describe this story, ‘epic’ would be it,” says Avengers: Ultron Forever writer Al Ewing, speaking with Marvel.com. “It sort of builds and builds, until by the third issue you’re experiencing cosmic-scale war between … but that would be spoiling it.”

In the shadows of a nightmarish future, a new team of Avengers will rise to show the world that heroes can come from anywhere and anytime. It all happens when Ewing and David unite for AVENGERS: ULTRON FOREVER – coming to comic shops and digital devices this April!

For more on Avengers: Ultron Forever, please visit Marvel.com.

I enjoyed both story and art. What more do you want, egg in your beer?

THE VALIANT (TPB)

1801432865?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by JEFF LEMIRE and MATT KINDT

Art by PAOLO RIVERA

Cover by PAOLO RIVERA

$9.99 | 128 pages  | T+

A battle ten millennia in the making is about to begin …

The Eternal Warrior has protected the Earth for more than 10,000 years. A master of countless weapons and long forgotten martial arts, he is guided by the Geomancers — those who speak for the Earth. During his long watch, the Eternal Warrior has failed three times. Each time, the Geomancer was killed...and a new dark age for humanity began. Each time, he was unable to stop The Immortal Enemy – a monstrous force of nature. A civilization killer. A horror that appears differently each time it arrives...and whose seemingly only purpose is to bring disorder and darkness to the world. Now, the time has come for The Immortal Enemy to return once more. But, this time, the Eternal Warrior will be ready. This time, he has a force greater than any single warrior. This time, he has ... THE VALIANT.

Presenting the complete sold-out epic from New York Times best-selling writers Jeff Lemire (BLOODSHOT REBORN, Green Arrow) & Matt Kindt (RAI, Mind MGMT) and Eisner Award-winning artist Paolo Rivera (Daredevil), discover why Valiant is one of the most critically acclaimed publishers in comics today with an all-star introduction to Bloodshot, the Eternal Warrior, Geomancer and a visionary cast of heroes and villains from across the Valiant Universe – all for the low introductory price of $9.99.

Collecting THE VALIANT #1-4.

This is the first Phantom Eagle book I actually want to read!

WHERE MONSTERS DWELL #1 (of 5)

1801419813?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801422550?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801487859?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by GARTH ENNIS

Art by RUSS BRAUN

Cover by FRANK CHO

Variant Cover by ALEX MALEEV

This May, legendary comic scribe Garth Ennis returns to Marvel Comics proper, and he’s bringing his frequent collaborator Russ Braun along for the Secret Wars ride! Today, Marvel is pleased to announce WHERE MONSTERS DWELL #1 – a brand new 5-issue limited series launching during Secret Wars!

“In a book like this, the sky is the limit,”  exclaims Senior Editor Nick Lowe. “But it’s going to be crazy! One of the coolest things about Secret Wars is the door it opens to stories of all kinds. WHERE MONSTERS DWELL fits square in the middle of the Secret Wars pocket, but it approaches at a very Ennis-ian angle.”

Dogfights! Dinosaurs! Dames! Danger! This book has it all! Enter the Valley of Flame, Battleworld’s home to the deadliest creatures prehistory has to offer. Stranded amidst its Pterodactyl-filled skies? Karl Kaufman, the high-flying aerial ace known as the Phantom Eagle!

Expanding on working with Ennis, Lowe added, “Garth is the best all-around writer in comics, period. His stories are perfectly paced, his characters are three-dimensional, horrifying, hilarious and come alive on the page and he crushes you with cliffhangers better than anyone.”

Marooned in the Valley of Flame alongside socialite Clementine Franklin-Cox, he’ll face down dinosaurs, cannibals, and the worst that Battleworld has to offer from inside the cockpit of his biplane. Fighter planes and prehistoric creatures collide this May in a raucous tale of the Phantom Eagle as Garth Ennis and Russ Braun dare you to enter WHERE MONSTERS DWELL!

1936719418?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936719442?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936721705?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936723993?profile=RESIZE_320x320

• 1801487859?profile=RESIZE_180x180I honestly tried to read this twice, and just couldn't force myself to go very far. It feels like the adolescent, self-important junk I wrote and drew in high school and college. Maybe it gets better the farther you go into it, but I'm afraid I'm never going to find out. Maybe you will, and can tell me how wrong I am!

YOU DON’T SAY (TPB)

1801392916?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IDW/TOP SHELF

Writer/Art/Cover: NATE POWELL

TPB • BW • $19.99 • 176 pages • 6.5” x 9.5”

Ever since he first joined Top Shelf with the 2006 autobiographical collection Please Release, Nate Powell has been one of the most fascinating cartoonists we've had the pleasure to publish. Longtime fans have joined us in watching his career unfold: winning the Eisner Award for Best Graphic Novel, speaking at the United Nations and on The Rachel Maddow Show, bringing the award-winning March saga to life, and much more.

Now, following the release of the New York Times bestseller March: Book Two, Powell looks back on the past decade and has assembled a stunning collection of seventeen short works. Shipping in May 2015 and open for pre-orders now at your local retailer, you mustn't miss You Don't Say.

"You Don't Say is more than just a collection of immaculate stories; it's also a glimpse at the evolution of one of today's most gifted storytellers." — Scott Snyder

"Haunting, poetic, and visually lyrical, You Don’t Say will get stuck in your head — you’ll be humming its tunes long after you’ve closed the book." — Becky Cloonan

A celebrity glares. A community burns. A child’s heart breaks. A recipe summons a ghost. A dying woman makes her peace. An art form sustains the spirit.

In You Don't Say, award-winning graphic novelist Nate Powell (Swallow Me Whole, March) collects a decade of powerful short works. Autobiography, fiction, essay comics, collaborations, and more fill these thoughtful, pitch-black pages, comprising rare and previously unreleased material from 2004-2013.

1936687874?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936690031?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936690454?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936692714?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936692773?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936692932?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936696073?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936697961?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801477059?profile=RESIZE_180x180I mentioned last week that Vampblade was probably going to become a regular in the Zombie Tramp books and, lo, here she is. She seems to be a parody of Blade and Vampirella.

ZOMBIE TRAMP VS: VAMPBLADE #1

1936698142?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

1936700215?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936702157?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936702438?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936704296?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936705018?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936707194?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: JASON MARTIN, DAN MENDOZA

Art/Cover: WINSTON YOUNG

Connecting character variant covers (limited to 1,500)

Connecting risque variant covers (limited to 2,000)

32 pgs. / Mature Readers / FC

$3.99 / $4.99 Variant

Action Lab: Danger Zone’s breakaway star gets a new deadly friend to play with!

What do you get when the street walking undead crosses paths with a vampire assassin? Spinning out of the smash hit ZOMBIE TRAMP series this May, Action Lab: Danger Zone answers that kooky question with the new blood splattered mini-series, ZOMBIE TRAMP VS: VAMPBLADE #1!

In a story too big to contain in the pages of her regular monthly series, fan favorite undead anti-heroine Zombie Tramp breaks out into an all new three issue limited series that pits her against a new larger-then-life supernatural foe…Vampblade! Can Zombie Tramp hold her own against this new interdimensional weapon-wielding comic book bad girl brought to life, or has she met her sexy/crazy/cool match!?! Let the hair pulling and blood spilling begin!

How did this crossover happen? Vampblade creator, Zombie Tramp co-writer, and Danger Zone publisher, Jason Martin, says “With Zombie Tramp growing more and more popular, we knew everyone wanted more, so why not introduce some equally crazy friends for Janey to play with in her supernaturally powered journey of discovery, revenge, and redemption! Vampblade, who’s introduced in the upcoming story arc of Zombie Tramp starting with this month’s issue 9, gets even more of a spotlight here in this full on showdown with our resident zombie queen! Fans of the regular series’ unorthodox blend of horror, comedy, and anything-goes action will love what we have planned for Zombie Tramp VS, and where it leads next! Just like with Zombie Tramp, there’s much more beyond the surface to Vampblade, and readers will find she has her own unique genre-bending mythology to explore.”

“I’m excited to be part of introducing what I’m hoping to be the first of many ZOMBIE TRAMP VS titles,” said Zombie Tramp creator, Dan Mendoza. “We have a lot of ideas coming that will help fill out a bigger universe all tied together in that trademark Zombie Tramp style fans enjoy so much.”

Written by Zombie Tramp co-writers Martin and Mendoza, and drawn by the amazing new artistic talent Winston Young (Zombie Tramp), ZOMBIE TRAMP VS: VAMPBLADE #1 comes with a total of five covers, including interlocking and risque variants, and is recommended for Mature Readers.

1936709188?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936711487?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936711672?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936713856?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936714062?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936716144?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• Surely Thanos is smart enough to beat the Hulk in less than four issues!

Actually, I always thought that Thanos was kind of a dumbass - a "very intelligent imbecile", to borrow a phrase.

• But he can talk in complete sentences! ("Hulk smash!" doesn't count.)

• Captain Comics said:

But he can talk in complete sentences! ("Hulk smash!" doesn't count.)

It is possible to be able to speak in complete sentences and still be a dumbass. Voice of experience, here.

• Batman 66 #23's release mentions Solomon Grundy and just one Clayfare, so it probably is Grundy on the cover.

Vampblade seems to be in part a satire of Witchblade, if her hand is any indication.

• Could be. I don't know what the half-shaved, half-purple hair is supposed to represent. But then, I don't read every comic book in existence, and among those I don't read is Witchblade.

• On his text page for Alpha Flight #1 John Byrne noted Vindicator's visual similarity to Captain Canuck, and explained he was designed independently. (He was designed a while before he was used.) My theory is they were both influenced, perhaps without the creators realising it, by the hero of Super President. (Adult content elsewhere at site.)

This reply was deleted.