Comics Guide for May 4, 2016

MAY 4, 2016

BOOKS OF INTEREST

AVENGERS/IRON MAN: FORCE WORKS (TPB)

Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by DAN ABNETT & ANDY LANNING

Penciled by TOM TENNEY, DAVID TAYLOR, STEWART JOHNSON, JIM CALAFIORE, DAVE ROSS,

JIM CHEUNG & MORE

Cover by TOM TENNEY

472 PGS. / Rated T / $39.99

Before they reinvented the Guardians of the Galaxy, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning transformed the Avengers West Coast into Force Works! And fueled by the Scarlet Witch's uncanny hex powers, this new team is going proactive! But who's in charge: Wanda or Iron Man? As tragedy strikes, one Avenger won't live to work with this forceful new group for long. With the squad in need of a new powerhouse, will the enigmatic Century fit the bill? He'd better, in light of deadly threats including the invading Kree, alien scavengers and the cyborg Black Brigade! Will Force Works meet defeat at the hands of the Mandarin and his Avatars, or live to see a reunion with the Avengers? Collecting FORCE WORKS #1-11, #12 (main story) and #13-15; FORCE WORKS ASHCAN EDITION; CENTURY: DISTANT SONS; and material from IRON MAN/FORCE WORKS COLLECTORS' PREVIEW.

Do you know what I didn't like about '90s comics? Read this book and you'll see.

Costumes were hideous, stories were little more than outlines, characterization was haphazard, artwork was harsh and Liefeld-esque -- it was the "Image effect," a result of the success of Image Comics. And I hated every bit of it.

This series was one of many at Marvel that tried its best to be Image-like, reflecting everything I despised about books like Youngblood and Bloodstrike. I even missed a few issues, and didn't try to find them. Normally that would send my collector gene into a frenzy, but with Force Works -- a philosophy I find offensive, BTW -- it didn't kick in. Frankly, it was hard to tell I missed them.

But maybe you feel differently. Maybe you liked early Image Comics, are a big Rob Liefeld fan and have the Spawn movie on DVD. In which case, enjoy.

AVENGERS STAND-OFF

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SAM WILSON #9

Writer: NICK SPENCER

Art/Cover: ANGEL UNZUETA

32 PGS. / Rated T / $3.99

STANDOFF Epilogue!

• With Steve Rogers back as Cap, Sam struggles to find his place. Can the country handle two Captain Americas?

NEW AVENGERS #11

Writer: AL EWING

Art: GERARDO SANDOVAL

Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

32 PGS. / Rated T+ / $3.99

A.I.M. vs S.H.I.E.L.D. Starts NOW!

• They’ve lost the Island, the money, the toys, the charismatic leader, the champagne-dispensing robot and half the membership.

• Where do the New Avengers go from here? Can you say... TIPPY-TOE’S KOOKIE QUARTET?

• Guest-starring – The Scarlet Witch! The Plunderer! And the last chance to catch your breath before CIVIL WAR II!

"Avengers: Standoff" is over, and yet here come more tie-ins. The Captain America book is labeled an epilogue, which makes sense. But the New Avengers book -- and another book next month -- don't. I guess it'll come clear if and when I read them.

BALTIMORE: EMPTY GRAVES #2 (OF 5)

Publisher: DARK HORSE

Writers: MIKE MIGNOLA, CHRISTOPHER GOLDEN

Art: PETER BERGTING

Colors: DAVE STEWART

Cover: BEN STENBECK

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

Before Baltimore and company set out for Constantinople to hunt the Blood Red Witch, old friends are buried and they prepare to face their own graves in their hunt for the Red King.

“Why can’t all horror be this good? Recommended.”—SciFiPulse

This miniseries is hobbled with an unforgiving structure, and yet Mignola and Golden make that part painless -- while the stories are, as is usual with these two, genuinely dramatic and creeeeepy.

The structure is five issues of origins -- the five main members of Baltimore's crew narrate what terrible event took them from their normal lives and induced them to join the titular character's crusade. That could be a labored affair, but Mignola and Golden wisely construct a broader through-line that engages the reader as a story in its own right. So the the origin stories, while necessary, become vignettes within a broader story. The result is that the structure doesn't become onerous, and the book feels like a regular Hellboy book -- which is to say, good.

This issue's origin story, like last issue's, makes you want to throw up in your mouth a little bit. As is appropriate, the horror that visits the people who follow Baltimore is a cut above -- that is to say, worse -- than just tragedy. Their experiences cut right to what makes them human, hit them where they love, damage their ability to continue to function in a normal manner. And, as usual, Mignola uses horror elements based on obscure folklore or entirely invented -- it all feels new, and extra terrible, as these are fresh horrors that don't follow the rules of the familiar vampire or werewolf. So add terror of the unknown to the torture of loved ones and crushing of souls and you have genuine horror.

Last issue I was a bit disappointed in the art; the Stenbeck cover set a bar that Bergting didn't reach. But his work is growing on me, and holds up fine if you don't compare it to Stenbeck. So don't.

BEASTS OF BURDEN: WHAT THE CAT DRAGGED IN (ONE: SHOT)

Writers: EVAN DORKIN, SARAH DYER

Art/Cover: JILL THOMPSON

FC, 32 pages, $3.50, One-shot

Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson return to the characters that won them the 2005 Eisner Award for Best Short Story

Evan Dorkin (Eltingville Club, Milk and Cheese), Sarah Dyer (The Dark Horse Book of Monsters) and Jill Thompson (Scary Godmother) return to the characters that won them the Eisner Awards for Best Short Story and Best Publication for Teens with a new one-shot comic: Beasts of Burden: What the Cat Dragged In!

This standalone adventure is a perfect entry point for readers new to the award-winning series. When curiosity gets the best of Burden Hill’s cats (and one reluctant raccoon), sleeping demons are awakened and black magic is unleashed on the town of Burden Hill.

Multiple award-winning comics creators Evan Dorkin and Jill Thompson first introduced these very special investigators in The Dark Horse Book of Hauntings and the other "Dark Horse Book of ..." anthologies, for which they won coveted Eisner Awards for Best Short Story and Best Painter.

In 2009, the beasts of Burden Hill received their own miniseries, Animal Rites, which garnered widespread critical acclaim. In 2010, they met up with Mike Mignola’s Hellboy, cementing these unlikely heroes in the pages of Dark Horse history.

HERE'S AN INTERVIEW from Comics Alliance.

Not being a cat guy, I ignored this series when it came out about 10 years ago. That was a mistake.

Dorkin and Dyer manage to give the animals in this series more characterization than many human characters do in lesser books. I could usually tell which animal was speaking by the dialogue alone, before trying to distinguish visually, say, one of the black cats from the three present. And the raccoon was very funny.

Speaking of art, Thompson is Thompson -- which is to say, a treat. Her depiction of the animals as they move is a characterization all on its own, again instantly identifying each character for the reader without effort.

And, oh yeah, the story is good and creepy. Dark Horse is becoming the home for horror.

THE BLACK HOOD #10

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI

Art: GREG SCOTT, KELLY FITZPATRICK, RACHEL DEERING

Cover A: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Cover B: DAVID MACK

32-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

“The Lonely Crusade, Part 4” When he donned the Black Hood, Greg Hettinger swore to keep the awful truth from those he cares about most—his partner Devon, his friend Jessie. But he’s going to have to break those promises if he’s going to survive the death trap that the Crusaders have prepared for him … and nothing will ever be the same.

As I've said before, the Archie adventure line books -- the former MLJ characters -- come out so infrequently each issue is practically an event. I seem to have fallen off Archie's review list, so I don't know any more than you do about this issue -- all I can say is that this series has been genuinely surprising. Each issue seems to make it impossible for the new Black Hood to continue, and yet somehow Swierczynski finds a completely plausible path forward that in retrospect almost seems inevitable. The upshot is that Black Hood is immensely satisfying as a non-powered superhero whose continued survival doesn't require huge suspension of disbelief ... and doesn't seem at all guaranteed.

THE COMPLETE PEANUTS 1999–2000 (VOL. 25)

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS

Writer/Art/Cover: CHARLES M. SCHULZ

Introduction: BARACK OBAMA

$29.99 Hardcover
 • 315 Pages • Black & White • 8.5”x 7”

Fantagraphics Books is proud to announce that President Barack Obama has penned the introduction to the long-awaited 25th volume of the award-winning Complete Peanuts series! As announced in the New York Times business section, “Obama pays tribute to Charlie Brown, Snoopy and the Peanuts gang” in the latest volume of Fantagraphics’ beloved series, which began in 2004 and wraps up this year.

“In his final strip, Charles Schulz wondered how he could ever forget the Peanuts gang,” President Obama writes in The Complete Peanuts 1999–2000 (Vol. 25), which covers Jan. 1, 1999, through Feb. 13, 2000, when the final "Peanuts" strip was published the day after Schulz’s death. “Thanks to this groundbreaking series of books collecting all of Charles Schulz’s 'Peanuts' strips, the rest of us never will …”

This volume features another big surprise: the complete "Li’l Folks," the weekly one-panel comic that Charles Schulz produced between June 22, 1947, and January 22, 1950, the creative precursor to "Peanuts" and its inclusion in volume 25 brings The Complete Peanuts full circle.

The surprises do not end with the President, or with "Li’l Folks." Although Fantagraphics collects the final "Peanuts" strips in Vol. 25, it is not the end of The Complete Peanuts. A surprise 26th volume is announced for October 2016, collecting all of Schulz’s non-strip related Peanuts art: storybooks, comic book stories, single-panel gags, advertising art, book illustrations, photographs, and even a recipe.

Schulz’s widow Jean Schulz will write the Afterword to volume 26, capping the final volume in a star-studded lineup of contributors to the series with a personal reminiscence of her life with Charles Schulz. The Complete Peanuts is the definitive collection of the most critically and commercially successful comic strip of the 20th century, reprinting every single one of the almost 18,000 strips created by Schulz between 1950 and 2000. The New York Times best-selling series that launched in 1994 has over a half-million copies in print and continues to bring joy to readers of all ages all over the world.

As President Barack Obama remembers, “Like millions of Americans, I grew up with 'Peanuts.' But, I never outgrew it.” And neither have we!

I remember when this series began that I actually worried that I'd live long enough to get them all. Now the final book is here and I can stop worrying! (OK, there's a Vol. 26 on the way, too, but I've ordered the set on Amazon so I feel like I can put an exclamation point on it.)

That's not to say that I've read them all -- I'm only about halfway through, as I slowed down with the introduction of Woodstock, a character that others find charming (or something) but I have always found treacly and annoying. This may be heresy to some, but what always made "Peanuts" work for me was the underlying strain of bitterness/anger/depression that kept the strip from becoming too sentimental. With Woodstock, "Peanuts" went the happy-happy route and became for me just another unctuous and  merchandise-driven comic strip, so I began to lose interest.

Now, if Snoopy had eaten that damned bird ...

HELLBOY IN HELL #9

Writer/Art/Cover: MIKE MIGNOLA

Colors: DAVE STEWART

FC, 32 pages, $2.99, Ongoing

Hellboy faces demons furious about the fall of Hell and his role in it, and another family member makes an appearance.

First part in the two-issue conclusion to Hellboy in Hell!

“Any new Hellboy comic is a joy.”—Comic Book Resources

I have not read this book, as I'm not going to rush through it for the sake of this Guide -- Hellboy is just too good, and I mean to take my time with it.

LEGEND

Publisher: Z2 COMICS

Writer: SAM SATTLIN

Art/Cover: CHRIS KOEHLER

$3.99

What if a biological terror agent wiped out most of humanity, and our domesticated animals were left in charge? How would our dogs and cats set about ruling and rebuilding the world? LEGEND is the story of animals uniting to fight mutant creatures and attempting to restore the world their masters destroyed.

Sam Sattin is a novelist, comics creator, and essayist. He is the author of the THE SILENT END and LEAGUE OF SOMEBODIES, described by Pop Matters as "One of the most important novels of 2013." His work has appeared in The Atlantic, Salon Magazine, io9,Kotaku, The Fiction Advocate, Publishing Perspectives, The Weeklings, The Rumpus, The Good Men Project, Litreactor,  Buffalo Almanack, SF Signal, and elsewhere. Also an illustrator, he holds an MFA in Comics from California College of the Arts and has a creative writing MFA from Mills College. He's the recipient of NYS and SLS Fellowships, and lives in Oakland, California.

Chris Koehler is an artist and illustrator working out of San Francisco. His work has appeared in The Atlantic, Popular Science, Utne Reader, Los Angeles Times, Washington Post, Wired, the Boston Globe, OnEarth Magazine, Stanford Magazine, and SF Weekly, among others. His illustrations have also been recognized by Communication Arts, American Illustration, Society of Illustrators, and 3x3. In addition to being a freelance brush for hire, Chris teaches in the Illustration and MFA in Comics Programs at California College of the Arts and regularly shows in galleries. He can often be found hunched over a sketchbook in a coffee shop.

HERE ARE PREVIEW PAGES and an interview by Comics Alliance

I looked at the preview pages linked above (they appear to be Comics Alliance exclusives, so the link takes you off-site), and once again we have some animals that are written better than many human characters.

MISS FURY VOL. 2 #2

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: CORINNA BECHKO

Art: JONATHAN LAU      

Cover A: TULA LOTAY

Cover B: JONATHAN LAU

32 pages / Teen+ / $3.99

Marla is drawn deeper into the mystery surrounding the missing ship plans even as she comes to grips with her own troubled past. But who -- or what -- is stalking her through the snowy streets of New York? As friends are unmasked, enemies circle ... leaving Marla's alter ego Miss Fury all alone to fight a foe she can barely comprehend!

I haven't read any of the modern Miss Fury, but I posted this just because of the sheer shamelessness of Cover A. Strange how scenes of male characters getting dressed never makes the cover, eh?

PREDATOR: LIFE AND DEATH #3 (of 4)

Writer: DAN ABNETT

Art: BRIAN THIES

Colors: RAIN BEREDO

Cover: DAVID PALUMBO

FC, 32 pages, $3.99, Miniseries

The Colonial Marines discover the corporate claim jumpers they’re protecting have been hiding what they know about the massive, horseshoe-shaped alien spaceship. Meanwhile, the Predators go on the offensive!

I had hoped to catch up on this series before this Guide, but failed. I'm not going to waste the preview, though!

RAT QUEENS #16

Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer: KURTIS J. WIEBE

Art/Cover: TESS FOWLER & TAMRA BONVILLAIN

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

NEW STORY ARC

“WHEN BEARDS COLLIDE.” Part One

The Rat Queens return to Palisade to find that the world has moved on without them. The tavern is infested with would be heroes, drinking all the ale and getting in all the fights. What’s a warrior girl to do?

This book is going on hiatus, so the blurbs "NEW STORY ARC" and "Part One" are just depressing if you enjoy the book, which I do. Or maybe the book will go on hiatus after issue #17 -- the Bleeding Cool story linked to above was unclear. Anyway, I'll have to drown my sorrows by finding some other ongoing book that follows female adventurers with great characterization and usually decent art in a faux Medieval world straight out of Dungeons & Dragons. Shouldn't be too hard, right?

REBELS VOLUME 1: A WELL-REGULATED MILITIA (TPB)

Writer: BRIAN WOOD

Art: ANDREA MUTTI, MATTHEW WOODSON, ARIELA KRISTANTINA, TRISTAN JONES

Colors: JORDIE BELLAIRE

Cover: TULA LOTAY

FC, 240 pages, $24.99, TPB, 7” x 10”

This is 1775. With the War for Independence playing out across the colonies, Seth and Mercy Abbott find their new marriage tested at every turn as the demands of the frontlines and the home front collide. Rebels details the epic story of the colonists who, in a few short, turbulent years, created the nation of America. Collects Rebels #1–#10.

• An all-star team of artists led by Andrea Mutti!

• The full run of Rebels comics in one collection.

I bragged about this book all through its run, so take it as a given that I'm going to recommend the collection. Brian Wood is at his best with historical fiction -- he clearly enjoys it -- and the Revolutionary War is an underserved era. You know, human nature supposedly doesn't change, but people really were different in those days, shaped by circumstances, lack of technology and historical imperatives that simply don't exist today (at least in America). Wood accepts and uses those differences, for stories truly unlike anything else on the stands.

The art is rough and harsh, as were the lives of colonial-era Americans. Appropriate, and necessary to give the right flavor to the era.

STAR TREK NEW VISIONS: OF WOMAN BORN

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer/Photo-manipulation: JOHN BYRNE

$7.99 • FC • 48 pages

A god cannot die, and a story never truly ends. Dr. McCoy confronts Captain Kirk with a staggering discovery — Lt. Carolyn Palamas is pregnant with the child of Apollo. Or is she? Find out in “Of Woman Born,” courtesy of photomanipulator extraordinaire, John Byrne.

Ooh, ooh, a sequel to "A Requiem for Adonis"! Sign me up!

SUPER HUMAN RESOURCES SEASON 1 (GN)

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: KEN MARCUS

Art/Cover: JUSTIN BLEEP

128 pgs. / T / FC / $14.99

It's the first day of the strangest temp job Tim has ever had: in the HR department of the world's greatest super team. He discovers that with great power comes great stupidity.  Reprinting Season One of the sold-out, indie hit. Just in time for Season Two from Action Lab in April.

"In a word, this book is @%#$$-funny." -- Joe Kelly (Deadpool, Spider-Man, Action Comics, I Kill Giants).

Isn't there a TV series based on this concept coming on Syfy or someplace? Is it based on this book, or independent? Does anybody know what I'm talking about? Because I clearly don't.

Anyway, I didn't much care for the art on the preview, as it seemed more a collection of cartoon tricks rather than, you know, "art." But some people who aren't me like that sort of thing, so for you guys, here you go.

VAMPIRELLA VOL. 3 #3

Writer: KATE LETH

Art: EMAN CASALLOS    

Cover A: CHRISSIE ZULLO

Cover B: SERGIO DAVILA

32 pages / Teen+ / $3.99

Vampirella and her companions dive into research on the mysterious Slade, with no shortage of trouble in the way - from witches to taxidermy to mutated monsters on the attack, it's one hell of a week for Hollywood's favorite vampire!

I must be a little masochistic, because I loathe the new costume but keep reading the book anyway. That's partly because I just like the character (however she's dressed), and because this story offers a new big bad entrenched in hedonistic Hollywood, which is inherently fun.

WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK VOL 8: TERROR BEAGLE BOYS (HC)

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: CARL BARKS

$29.99

Carl Barks delivers another superb collection of outrageous hijinks, preposterous situations, bamboozlement, befuddlement, and all-around cartooning brilliance. Over 200 pages of stories, each meticulously restored and newly colored plus insightful story notes by an international panel of Barks experts.

Here's another series I hope I live long enough to finish. Two books a year isn't enough, Fantagraphics! I'm getting old! Anyway, this post serves as a reminder to me to buy the darn thing!

THE WHISPER CAMPAIGN LTD (HC)

Publisher: COMICMIX

Writers: STEVEN GRANT & Various

Art: NORM BREYFOGLE & Various

Cover: DAVID FINCH

$100.00

Comics legend Norm Breyfogle suffered a stroke in December, and needs help to recover his life and hopefully draw again. You can help by purchasing The Whisper Campaign, a 280-page trade paperback containing Whisper #3-11 (Norm's first series assignment), published by First Comics in 1986. This series has never been reprinted before now and includes contributions by the biggest names in the business -- including an all-new GrimJack story by John Ostrander and Timothy Truman!

Once again I don't have independent confirmation that money spent on this book will actually make it to Breyfogle, but get it anyway. The money will probably get to Breyfogle, and Whisper was an interesting book that doesn't get near enough attention.

WILL EISNER'S THE SPIRIT #10

Writer: MATT WAGNER

Art: DAN SCHKADE

Colors: BRENNAN WAGNER       

Cover A: ERIC POWELL

32 pages / Teen+ / $3.99

The web of danger begins to tighten as The Spirit continues his quest to track down his kidnapper, the mysterious Mikado Vaas -- and his best bet is to first locate the crime lord's equally evasive daughter, Sachet Spice! Convinced that she is in Central City, The Spirit's search leads him into unexpectedly fragrant territory. Meanwhile, Ebony and Sammy manage to find a lead to tracking down the mysterious assassin sent by Vaas, the cold-blooded Pinky Fingers. The explosive finale is coming ... one that might change The Spirit's world forever! This sensational revival of Will Eisner's iconic hero is brought to you by the creative talents of legendary author Matt Wagner and the visual team of artist Dan Schkade and colorist Brennan Wagner.

"I've said it before and I'll say it again: you need to be reading The Spirit." -- Comic Bastards

"If this book isn't up for an Eisner award next year, I will be extremely surprised." -- Bounding Into Comics

I had trouble getting into this book at first because, well, not matter how good Wagner is he's not Will Eisner. It's not really fair to compare anyone to Eisner, but come on, if you start writing his signature book you are going to be compared. And the comparison is not going to be favorable.

But if you can forcibly divorce your brain from that comparison, Wagner and Schkade do a decent job. No, it's not Eisner. It's too slow moving -- Eisner would have a full story every issue, if not in the first half of every issue -- but it's a visit with old friends that's enjoyable for its own sake.

THE DC CONUNDRUM

As it happens, a bunch of DC books this week provide me with a narrative.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #32

Publisher: DC COMICS

Written by PETER J. TOMASI

Art by TYLER KIRKHAM

Cover by YANICK PAQUETTE

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

“Super League” continues this month as Kal-El’s bid to strengthen his forces brings him, Batman and Wonder Woman into China and into conflict with the might of that nation’s greatest heroes: the Great 10!

I'm trying to care about this "event," but we've seen Superman die so many times that I really don't feel any sense of urgency. Frankly, I don't really feel anything at all -- I'm just waiting for the inevitable Reset Button, which DC has essentially announced in advance! So we know none of this matters.

And, believe it or not, after all the final "New 52" issues there will be multiple Supermen appearing in "Rebirth," just like after 1992's awful, soul-killing "Death of Superman" stunt. Gosh, do you think the "real" Superman will return? (That's a rhetorical question. But I do wonder who or what constitutes the "real" Superman any more.)

Sorry to be so negative. But DC has screwed up its own continuity and some of its characters so badly that even this reader of four decades has trouble caring what happens next.

And what's coming next, of course, is *sigh* yet another reboot.

GOTHAM CENTRAL OMNIBUS (HC)

Written by ED BRUBAKER and GREG RUCKA

Art by MICHAEL LARK, STEFANO GAUDIANO, KANO and others

Cover by MICHAEL LARK

968 pg, FC, $99.99 US

Harvey Bullock, Maggie Sawyer, Renee Montoya and the GCPD are all that stands between order and chaos in Gotham City. It’s up to them to keep the world’s most dangerous criminals off the street, and also to clean up the mess left behind by Batman’s one-man war on crime. Now, the entire 40-issue run of GOTHAM CENTRAL is collected in a single hardcover.

Just to rub it in, here's a book from when DC continuity mattered, and it was a darn fine book. It wasn't the continuity that made it good, but having these characters fit comfortably into a niche while their stories are told did add to the enjoyment.

Subsequent reboots and bad stories have rendered just about every one of the characters in this series unusable, but back when these came out they were not only usable, but used well. Gotham Central showed us what life was like for police officers in a city where the force is ineffective and riddled with corruption, and a vigilante the police resent gets all the headlines. The book focuses on familiar names like Renee Montoya, Harvey Bullock, Crispus Allen and Jim Corrigan, and generally follows the TV tropes of a police procedural. If you can ignore what's happened to the characters since, this book will probably hold up as a bunch of well-crafted series worth the 100 smackers.

By contrast, can you think of anything from the New 52 continuity that you'd drop a C-note on? Again, rhetorical question. And finally ...

THE LEGEND OF WONDER WOMAN #5

Writter/Cover: RENAE DE LIZ

Art by RENAE DE LIZ and RAY DILLON

40 pg, FC, 5 of 9, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

Double shipping in May! In issue #5, the Holliday Girls are off to Boston! But while the girls go shopping, Etta and Diana have more dangerous errands to run. Diana visits the newspaper that published tales of the Duke of Deception…and discovers a new mission—perhaps she can save Themyscira by saving the people of Man’s World from him!

SUPERGIRL: COSMIC ADVENTURES IN THE EIGHTH GRADE (NEW EDITION TPB)

Written by LANDRY Q. WALKER

Art and cover by ERIC JONES

144 pg, FC, $12.99 US

Supergirl’s cosmic adventure is back in print! Supergirl meets Belinda Zee, a new junior high adversary, in this all-ages title collecting the six-issue miniseries. And that’s just the start of the fun that includes super-powered pets and cosmic adventure!

SUPERMAN: THE COMING OF THE SUPERMEN #4

Writer/Art/Cover: NEAL ADAMS

32 pg, FC, 4 of 6, $3.99 US • RATED T

Fry, Superman, fry! The battle between Kalibak and Superman rages on as the denizens of Apokolips cheer. And Darkseid’s homeworld unleashes a weapon that will permanently transmute the terran solar system!

What two things do these three books have in common? I'll tell you: 1) they are not in continuity, and 2) I can see myself reading them.

This is as opposed to, say, the final or penultimate New 52 issues of Flash, Green Arrow and Green Lantern, all of which come out this week. Flash and Green Lantern are, gasp, on the run from the law ... which might be interesting if that wasn't the hoariest cliche in comics. Green Arrow is dead ... again. These are characters that are among my favorites, that I have been reading about since the early 1960s ... and I have zero interest in these stories, the climaxes of their New 52 iterations.

So maybe what DC should do is more of the above: Books that just play with the best and most beloved aspects of familiar characters, without any regard for how they fit together or with other books or with various timelines. Just have fun with these characters. Cede to Marvel the "universe" aspect and just focus on iconic, standalone storytelling. I'd miss the comfort of continuity, which -- as with Gotham Central above -- adds to "feel" of a story. But the story has to be good for continuity to add to it, and I could live without continuity for a good Flash or Green Lantern story. That would beat the heck out of The New 52.

OK, done complaining. Well, at least for this week. What do you guys think?

FIRST ISSUES

3 FLOYDS ALPHA KING #1

Writer: NICK FLOYD & BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art: SIMON BISLEY & RYAN BROWNE

Cover: SIMON BISLEY

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

One thing that legendary cult microbrewery 3 Floyds is consistently is “not normal,” and in celebration of this originality, pub-crawling creators Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets, Dark Knight III: The Master Race) and Simon Bisley (Hellblazer, Lobo) have teamed up with 3 Floyds founder and brewmaster Nick Floyd along with colorist Ryan Brown and letterer Jared K. Fletcher to delve into the twisted mythos behind the brand in ALPHA KING. Issue #1 will be on tap this May.

“This book is what happens when beer and comics conceive on a barstool,” said Azzarello. “I'm a proud poppa."

ALPHA KING is set a long time ago in a metropolis far, far away (Hammond, Indiana), where Brewer and CiCi are producing a home-brew so distinct that it attracts the attention of a monstrous king and his horrid minions from another dimension. Swords are unsheathed, lines are crossed and sieges are laid for the rise of the Alpha King.

Featuring the insanity created by 3 Floyds—from their bottle washers to head brewers—this all-new series is a heavy metal mad mash-up through a futuristic medieval apocalypse. Zombies? Check. Barbarian hordes? Check. An Arctic Panzer Wolf? Sure, why not?

“I love the smell of hops in the morning …” added Floyd. “It smells like victory.”

As any Beer Geek can tell you, 3 Floyds brews some of the best and instantaneously memorable beers going today. Azzarello and Bisley bring their vision to the strange and wild characters created by 3 Floyds ... guaranteed to be a hardcore epic that is "not normal" from the first page to the blood-and-beer-soaked conclusion. Cheers!

ABOUT 3 FLOYDS

3 Floyds is a craft brewery and pub based in Munster, Indiana, that was founded in 1996 by brothers Nick and Simon and their father Mike Floyd. They produce almost 20 beers, all of which have colorful names like Zombie Dust, Apocalypse Cow, Cimmerian Sabertooth Berzerker, Arctic Panzer Wolf, and -- yes -- Alpha King. Dark Lord is one of the most sought after brews and is only available once a year on “Dark Lord Day.” http://www.3floyds.com/

I though basing movies and comics on rides at Disneyland was the height of bizarre attempts at synergy, but here's a book based on a beer.  Well, I like comics and I like beer, so maybe I'll like it. But there are a whole host of things I like that I don't think should be smooshed together -- you can probably think of a few in your own life -- so I'm leery.

4001 A.D. #1 (of 4)

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by MATT KINDT

Art by CLAYTON CRAIN

Cover A by CLAYTON CRAIN

Cover B by TULA LOTAY

Cover C by RYAN BODENHEIM

Valiant x CGC Replica Variant by CLAYTON HENRY

Character Design Variant by CLAYTON CRAIN

Interlocking Mega-Cover Variant by RYAN LEE

Interlocking Artist Variant by RYAN SOOK

Interlocking B&W Sketch Artist Variant by RYAN SOOK

Blank Cover also available

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

Valiant is proud to announce "THE SUMMER OF 4001 A.D." – a blockbuster new slate of series and one-shots expanding out of the year's most ambitious crossover event! Encompassing the core 4001 A.D. event, the return of Valiant's acclaimed RAI ongoing series, and four all-new one-shots revealing the future incarnations of the Valiant Universe's most iconic heroes, "THE SUMMER OF 4001 A.D." is the biggest and most visionary Valiant event to date – and a perfect introduction to the largest independent superhero universe in comics today.

"From HARBINGER WARS to ARMOR HUNTERS and, most recently, BOOK OF DEATH, Valiant has quickly earned a reputation for producing some of the best and most accessible event comics anywhere in the industry. Now, with 4001 A.D., our writers, artists, and editors has made it their mission to not only match our previous successes in event-level storytelling, but surpass them entirely," said Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons. "Matt Kindt and Clayton Crain have done a wondrous job of making 4001 A.D. a complete world unto itself – one that is packed with lost heroes, 100-foot-tall suits of sentient alien armor, and city-sized robots floating on the edge of space."

As revealed at Emerald City Comicon 2016, Valiant is proud to announce that multiple Eisner Award-nominated artist David Mack (Fight Club 2, Daredevil) will join New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (DIVINITY, Mind MGMT) and superstar artist Clayton Crain (RAI, X-Force) for 4001 A.D. #1 (of 4) – the FIRST ISSUE of Valiant’s much-anticipated summer event uniting Rai with the 41st century’s greatest heroes in comic shops everywhere on May 4th!

“David Mack has a gorgeous, extraordinarily unique visual style, and I'm honored that he's joining the formidable team of Matt Kindt and Clayton Crain for 4001 A.D. #1,” said Valiant Editor-in-Chief Warren Simons. “We’ve called 4001 A.D. Valiant’s most ambitious event to date and now, with the addition of David, we’re readying what is sure to be one of the most intense creative visions of 2016. From start to finish, the entire team is fortifying a whole new idea of what the future can be. Comics don’t get any more satisfying – or much more beautiful – than this.”

To accommodate Mack’s stunning contributions to 4001 A.D. #1 (of 4)’s already jam-packed roster of surprises, the debut issue of the summer’s biggest comics event will now grow to a colossal 40 pages – all for the same previously solicited $3.99 cover price. Don’t miss the first shot fired in Rai’s revolutionary insurrection against the tyrannical forces of New Japan when 4001 A.D. #1 (of 4) starts here on May 4th – and launches “THE SUMMER OF 4001 A.D.” into the stratosphere with an essential series of new arcs and one-shots in its a wake.

Encompassing the core 4001 A.D. event, the return of Valiant’s acclaimed RAI ongoing series, and four standalone one-shots revealing the future incarnations of the Valiant Universe’s most formidable heroes, “THE SUMMER OF 4001 A.D.” is the biggest and most visionary Valiant event to date – and a perfect introduction to the largest independent superhero universe in comics today.

The fight for the future begins on May 4th in 4001 A.D. #1 (of 4) – the FIRST ISSUE of the all-new, standalone event series following Rai and the 41st century's most formidable heroes into the fight against New Japan from New York times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (DIVINITY II) and superstar artist Clayton Crain (RAI)!

Then, "THE SUMMER OF 4001 A.D." explodes out of the pages of 4001 A.D. #1 (of 4) with the return of Rai's award-winning ongoing series in RAI #13 – the FIRST ISSUE of an ALL-NEW JUMPING-ON POINT revealing the origin of New Japan and its very first guardian! Discover the secrets behind 4001 A.D. here as New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (Mind MGMT) and acclaimed artist CAFU (UNITY) unearth the answers that have eluded mankind for nearly two millennia. How did New Japan come to orbit Earth?  Who created Father? And what happened to the nine previous Rai that once swore allegiance to his empire?

Plus: "THE SUMMER OF 4001 A.D." escalates even further as an all-star cast of superstar talents come aboard to reveal what the 41st century holds for Valiant's most iconic heroes in a new series of four indispensable one-shots! Featuring X-O Manowar, Bloodshot, Shadowman, and the debut of an all-new, top-secret character with a crucial tie to the present and future of the Valiant Universe, "THE SUMMER OF 4001 A.D." erupts into full force here with four new chapters from Valiant's most acclaimed creators:

4001 A.D.: X-O MANOWAR #1

Written by Robert Venditti (BOOK OF DEATH); Art by Clayton Henry (HARBINGER WARS)

Coming in May

4001 A.D.: BLOODSHOT #1

Written by Jeff Lemire (BLOODSHOT REBORN); Art by Doug Braithwaite (ARMOR HUNTERS)

Coming in June

4001 A.D.: SHADOWMAN #1

Written by Jody Houser (FAITH) & Rafer Roberts (A&A: THE ADVENTURES OF ARCHER & ARMSTRONG); Art by Robert Gill (BOOK OF DEATH)

Coming in July

4001 A.D.: [CLASSIFIED] #1

Written by [CLASSIFIED]; Art by [CLASSIFIED]

Coming in August

Each of chapter of "THE SUMMER OF THE 4001 A.D." is designed for maximum accessibility and can be read in concert with the core 4001 A.D. series or stand on its own for a centuries-spanning vision of the future.

"The Valiant Universe has always spanned multiple time periods, not just the present. But perhaps more so than anywhere we've explored thus far, the future of 4001 A.D. is loaded with exciting developments for Valiant's most beloved characters – many of which we've been planning for years," said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. "Now, for the first time, 'THE SUMMER OF 4001 A.D.' is giving us the opportunity to build on the revelations at the heart of last summer's BOOK OF DEATH event and reveal the true and lasting impact that our heroes' modern-day exploits will have on the course of human history. From RAI to X-O MANOWAR to BLOODSHOT to SHADOWMAN, each of these new installments of 4001 A.D. will cover a sometimes shocking, sometimes poignant, but always vitally important milestone moment that informs the ongoing narrative behind Matt and Clayton's epic series. Which is to say nothing of the top-secret new character that will appear in the fourth and final 4001 A.D. one-shot – they are truly something special and are going to leave our longtime fans speculating for a long, long time."

One hundred years from today, Father – the benevolent artificial intelligence that governs the island nation of Japan – will gain sentience. To defend its borders, Father will take drastic action by launching Japan into space … where its people can thrive in isolation, away from the overpopulated and resource-deprived planet below. Over the centuries, as New Japan orbits our increasingly unstable world, it will become a model society – one built on peace, prosperity … and Father’s control.

A thousand years from today, Father will create the first Rai, founding a lineage of technologically enhanced heroes engineered to defend New Japan and sworn to protect it from all enemies. For hundreds of years into the future, the Rai will single-handedly enforce New Japan’s justice well … and serve Father without question.

Now, at the dawn of 4001 A.D., the latest Rai is about to inherit the dark truth behind the origin of his kind … and discover the sinister secret at the heart of Father’s existence. For New Japan to live, Earth must die … and as Rai challenges his former master for the first time in more than a millennium, the lone guardian of New Japan will be cast out of his own Father’s kingdom …

Exiled from the only realm he’s ever known, Rai now walks the ravaged world of 4001 A.D. in search of forgotten heroes like himself … on a mission to collect the last surviving legends of a broken planet … and to forge a rebellion with the power to bring the most advanced civilization in history crashing back down to Earth.

Earth must rise. Father must fall. Rai! Eternal Warrior! X-O Manowar! Bloodshot! Shadowman! Geomancer! And more! The war for the ultimate fate of humanity begins in 4001 A.D. #1 (of 4) by superstar creators Matt Kindt and Clayton Crain – and continues in May and beyond as "THE SUMMER OF 4001 A.D." rages on … and changes the future of the Valiant Universe for all time!

"[4001 A.D.] is really just a big story that needed a lot of space and was always intended to be this sort of epic blow-out/up kind of story. It’s also going to really connect the 4001 Universe with the present-day Valiant Universe in a crazy way, which is something we haven’t really done yet," series writer Matt Kindt told IGN.

"Having been cast to Earth and kicked out of Japan, Rai has been forced to come into his own. He’s been put into these adult roles as father and husband, but in reality he was too young – a teenager trying to grow up and out of the shadow that his Father casts. And this event is really about him growing up. Becoming his own man. And finally taking responsibility for his actions and his fate."

Plus: On Free Comic Book Day 2016, don’t miss a never-before-seen prelude to the blockbuster comics event of the year in the VALIANT: 4001 A.D. FCBD SPECIAL as Rai’s crusade to save the future from itself starts here with an all-new story! Then, the biggest Free Comic Book Day release of the year continues with exclusive looks inside Valiant’s next can’t-miss milestones, including A&A: THE ADVENTURES OF ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #1 by rising star Rafer Roberts and comic book superstar David Lafuente, and DIVINITY II #1 (of 4) by New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt and blockbuster artist Trevor Hairsine!

OK, that was a WHOLE LOT of press, which I've cobbled together from what seems an endless stream of PR about this book. I don't know what I can say to add to what Valiant has already said, so just go back read all the stuff you just skipped over.

ACTIONVERSE FEATURING MIDNIGHT TIGER #1

Publisher: ACTION LAB ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: VITO DELSANTE, RAY-ANTHONY HEIGHT

Art: RAY-ANTHONY HEIGHT

Colors: NATE LOVETT

Cover: RAY-ANTHONY HEIGHT/NATE LOVETT

Connecting Variant: RON FRENZ/MARC DEERING/ROSS CAMPBELL/DAVID BEDNARSKI

32 pgs / A / FC / $3.99 (reg.), $4.99 (var.)

Virtue has cleaned up crime in Apollo Bay and now has Midnight Tiger and Stray dead to rights. Will Molly Danger show up in time to save them? And Medulla’s plan is put in motion … how does Jake fit in?

Variant cover limited to 1,500 copies.

Another first issue that isn't. This is actually issue #4 of the "Actionverse" crossover.

AFTERSHOCK GENESIS #1 (of 4)

Publisher: AFTERSHOCK COMICS

Writers: PAUL JENKINS AND JOE PRUETT

Art: GEORGES JEANTY, DEXTER VINES, SZYMON KUDRANSKI

Covers: SZYMON KUDRANSKI, various

40 pages / FC / $1.00

In this one special volume, readers get several exclusive items:

• A special ZERO chapter of  PAUL JENKINS'  daring NEW AfterShock series-not to be printed or seen anywhere else!

• An exclusive prelude to Joe Pruett and Szymon Kudranksi's BLACK-EYED KIDS series.

• Previews of upcoming AfterShock series from top name creators!

• A look back to AfterShock #1 issues that you may have missed!

• Just in time for FREE COMIC BOOK DAY!

All of this and more in this specially low-priced issue!

Aftershock is only about a year old, but it has nine comics scheduled for this month alone! According to the press release. According to their website, they tried to get a book into the FCBD pipeline, but couldn't, so they're publishing this book instead at a really cheap price the same week. I guess that could be true -- I hear rumors that getting into FCBD is tough for small publishers. Anyway, some Legionnaires have mentioned enjoying Super Zero, which is represented in this book, along with some other samples.

Incidentally, does anyone think it's a coincidence that Cover B resembles the hand starting the universe in Silver Age Green Lantern? Yeah, I didn't think so either.

CINEMA PURGATORIO #1

Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writers: ALAN MOORE & VARIOUS

Art: KEVIN O'NEIL & VARIOUS

Cover: MICHAEL DIPASCALE

Mature/$5.99

Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill invite you, and some of the finest creators in comics, in to join them in a different kind of dark: Cinema Purgatorio!  This ongoing monthly series will feature Alan and Kevin in every issue and is their first major new project together since League of Extraordinary Gentlemen!  Anthology has become a dirty word, so far be it from us to clean it up.  Instead we'll shine our light onto the cutting edge of sequential art, with black and white artwork to allow illustrator's pure visions, and the greatest assembly of writing talent ever gathered on one series.  Every issue is perfect-bound, with no ads, and all of the works are very long-form, there are no collections planned before 2018.  Jump in now and embrace the new future of comics.  The one of which Alan Moore has always dreamed.  It's here, now. Hiding in the dark corner.  Welcome to Cinema Purgatorio.

It's Alan Moore. Do I need to say anything else?

DAREDEVIL/PUNISHER #1 (of 4)

Writer: CHARLES SOULE

Art: SZYMON KUDRANSKI

Cover by REILLY BROWN

40 PGS. / Rated T+ / $4.99

A simple change of venues for one of Matt Murdock’s cases becomes more complicated when THE PUNISHER attempts to send the defendant away…permanently! If DAREDEVIL and BLINDSPOT want to get this mobster his day in court, it will take every ounce of wit and wile they have. All Frank needs to get what he wants is a bullet. The race is on!

I give DD credit for being really the only Marvel hero who consistently treats The Punisher as they all should -- as a mass-murdering criminal.

DEADPOOL MASACRE #1

Writers: GERRY DUGGAN & BRIAN POSEHN

Art: SCOTT KOBLISH

Cover by FRANCISCO HERRERA

32 PGS. / Parental Advisory / $3.99

Months ago, we were proud to bring you DEADPOOL TRES PUNTO UNO — a tale told all in Spanish, revealing MASACRE, the Deadpool of Mexico! Due to popular demand (because apparently you were too lazy to translate it for yourself) Marvel has taken to an unspecified Internet translation site and is re-presenting the comic in POORLY TRANSLATED ENGLISH! Just in time for the “Fifth of May!”

Ay caramba!

GWENPOOL #0

Writer: CHRISTOPHER HASTINGS

Art: DANILO BEYRUTH & GURIHIRU

Cover by DANILO BEYRUTH

Variant: CHRIS BACHALO

48 PGS. / Rated T+ / $4.99

• “Who is Gwenpool, and where did she come from?” Ever since she made a splash in her first cover appearance, those have been the questions on everyone’s lips as they lounge about, sipping from a tropical beverage!

• Now, get all three of the original Gwenpool backup stories from HOWARD THE DUCK #1-3 featuring Ms. Poole’s first appearance and her battle alongside our favorite private duck in one convenient package!

• Plus: See Gwen’s first Xmas in the Marvel Universe, and the guy she killed to mark the occasion!

The first issue of Gwenpool came out last month, so this is sorta backwards, publishing the pre-first issue issue after the first issue. But the stories reprinted here preceded the first issue, so that mitigates it somewhat.

Who's running the pool for when a Gwenpool/Harley Quinn crossover happens?

HAUNTED: THE OTHER SIDE #1

Publisher: RED 5 COMICS

Writer: SCOTT CHITWOOD

Art/Cover: DANNY LUCKERT

$2.99

The barrier between our world and the spiritual realm has been closed, but evil ghosts continue to make their way through. As Sarah and her friends investigate, a new ghostly threat from the other side of the world arrives.

I'm not crazy about that cover art -- looks more fine art-y than comics art-y -- but I'm not such a purist that I wouldn't read this if the story is good. Since there's no preview or review copy available, we'll all just have to take our chances.

KINGS QUEST #1 (OF 4)

Writer: BEN ACKER, HEATH CORSON

Art: DAN MCDAID           

Cover A: MARC LAMING

Cover B: DAN MCDAID

Cover C: JONATHAN LAU

Cover D: CHRIS ELIOPOULOS "CUTE"

Subscription Variant: COLTON WORLEY

32 pages / Teen+ / $3.99

THE PERFECT JUMPING-ON POINT FOR NEW READERS! Join Flash Gordon, TWO Phantoms, Mandrake the Magician and Prince Valiant on a disastrous intergalactic rescue mission! All they have to do is defeat a limitless alien armada and NOT get eaten by a space jungle. Brought to you by the innumerable talents of Ben Acker (The Thrilling Adventure Hour), Heath Corson (Bizarro), and Dan McDaid (Judge Dredd)!

I didn't read all of the previous miniseries that first combined all the King Features characters, although I enjoyed what I did read. The upshot is that I don't know why Lothar is wearing a Phantom outfit, or why the true Phantom appears to be an untrained, teenage girl, or how Prince Valiant is in our time. But such is the case, and they're all on Mongo, to have a chance meeting with yet another King Features character who is almost unrecognizable (but cool).

I enjoyed the first issue enough that I'll read the second, which is something of a recommendation, I guess.

KOLCHAK: DAN SHAMBLE, ZOMBIE P.I. #1

Publisher: MOONSTONE

Writer: KEVIN J. ANDERSON, RICHARD DEAN STARR

Art: IBANEZ

Cover: DENNIS CALERO

$4.99

Be careful what you wish for! Kolchak, the irrepressible Night Stalker, wants proof that monsters exist -- and Dan Shamble, Zombie P.I., lives in a world where he solves all sorts of everyday crimes among monsters. And when a rogue trio of hoodlum genies decides to use dimensional doorways to dump magical toxic waste, and an unwitting nerdy werewolf kid as their bagman, Kolchak and Shamble find themselves in a hilariously confused situation. Best-selling novelist Kevin J. Anderson pens the first comic book appearance of his zombie PI character, Dan Shamble!

Here's a book with an interesting concept and a fine pedigree, but without a preview or review, I can't tell you any more about it. I will say that I didn't care much for Kolchak when I was younger and fiercer about fantasy being taken seriously. But the character and concept has grown on me as I've grown older and less sensitive about my hobby.

LADY DEATH: CHAOS RULES #1

Publisher: COFFIN COMICS

Writers: BRIAN PULIDO, BRIAN AUGUSTYN

Art: DHEERAJ VERMA

Cover A: J. SCOTT CAMPBELL

Cover B: MONTE MOORE

Cover C: PAOLO PANTALENA

Mature/$25.00

Superstar artist J. Scott Campbell lends his considerable talents to the launch of Brian Pulido's Coffin Comics & Lady Death. This premium edition, limited to quantities ordered, features intricate, cutting edge gold foil enhancements.

Featuring the alluring and cruel diva of death as only creator, Brian Pulido can deliver. Chock full of sex, violence, and very, very bad behavior. Experience Lady Death fully realized! Long live Lady Death!

Notes: Creator Brian Pulido reunites with his premiere creation! Lady Death: Chaos Rules #1 captures the rockin' independent spirit of her original Chaos! Comics (1994-2002) run but brings her story to the present. She's bolder, darker, sexier Hope, with more brains and brawn.

There are few comics that earn my outright contempt, but Lady Death is among them. It's raison d'etre appears to be to present as much T&A and brokeback poses as possible, and most issues have so many variant covers that it handily crosses the line into fan gouging. But this issue has only three variants and they've offered a preview, so you can judge for yourself.

LADY MECHANIKA: THE LOST BOYS OF WEST ABBEY #1 (of 2)

Publisher: BENITEZ PRODUCTIONS

Writer: M. M. CHEN

Art/Cover: JOE BENITEZ, PETER STEIGERWALD

$3.99

The best-selling steampunk comic is back with a brand new story by the original art team!  Lady Mechanika returns home from her adventures in the Dark Continent only to find a killer on the loose in Mechanika City.  What connection does he have to Lady Mechanika's past? 

I have no interest in steampunk stories, but I love steampunk art. Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself. I am large, I contain multitudes.

THE PUNISHER #1

Written by BECKY CLOONAN

Art by STEVE DILLON

Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

Variant Covers by ALEX MALEEV, SKOTTIE YOUNG, JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Hip-Hop Variant by TIM BRADSTREET

Age of Apocalypse Variant by CHRIS STEVENS

Black Panther 50th Anniversary Variant by PHIL NOTO

Captain America 75th Anniversary Variant by JOHN CASSADAY

FRANK CASTLE LOSES CONTROL!

The one man war on crime is reforged, reloaded and reenergized this April! Frank Castle is back to wreak havoc on the underworld of the Marvel Universe once more in THE PUNISHER #1! Rising star writer Becky Cloonan (Gotham Academy, Southern Cross) teams with legendary Punisher artist Steve Dillon for a new take and a new beginning for Frank – and a violent ending for all those standing in his way!

A by-the-numbers drug bust is about to take Frank Castle by surprise – and he HATES surprises. There’s a new drug hitting the streets. One that has the ability to create unstable super soldiers. As the threads begin to pull loose, the man behind the drug’s startling connection to The Punisher is revealed. An old associate from Frank’s military days has resurfaced. But as he follows the trail of drugs and bodies deeper and deeper into the Northeast’s heart of darkness – has Frank Castle truly met his match?

“I try and look for outside inspiration in everything I do, and this Punisher series is no different,” says writer Becky Cloonan, discussing her take on the series with Marvel.com. “My goal is to present a new take on Frank Castle but still have him ring true to the character.”

Mobsters, villains and drug runners beware – Frank Castle is back … and he’s coming for you. Be there for the new beginning as Cloonan and Dillon take Frank Castle out of his comfort zone and to the edge of the world he thought he knew in THE PUNISHER #1!

Netflix has announced a Punisher series with Jon Bernthal. Yay!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• RENATO JONES: THE ONE % #1

872421435843280882.jpg?width=5251936760896?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: KAARE KYLE ANDREWS

48 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

Special double-sized first issue!

From acclaimed creator KAARE KYLE ANDREWS (Iron Fist: The Living Weapon, Spider-Man: Reign) comes a supercharged capitalist action thriller for a post-Great Recession world.Critically-acclaimed writer/artist/director Kaare Kyle Andrews (Spider-Man: Reign, Iron Fist: The Living Weapon) targets THE ONE% with his very first creator-owned comic.

In RENATO JONES: THE ONE %, society’s upper one percent own more than half the world’s wealth. They’ve crashed economies, bought governments, and amassed more power than any other group in history. And they still don’t have enough. With this kind of power how can anyone make them pay? WHO will make them pay? Enter Renato Jones, a mysterious vigilante out to even the score. And when he enters the fray THE SUPER-RICH ARE SUPER F***ED.

"Creator-owned comics have always been part of the plan,” said Andrews. “I can't believe I've waited so long to make the leap. I am hungry, I am angry, and I am throwing everything I have into this series. A dark neo-noir tribute to focus all of my rage and revenge.”

It doesn't matter how much of the work you do; writing, drawing, coloring. … You can only grab onto someone else's characters for so long ... but ultimately they're not yours. You're a visitor. I once said that I wanted to be more than a part of the machine, that I wanted to become the machine itself,” said Andrews, echoing the sentiments shared on stage at Image Expo when the project was first announced. “But the only way to do that is to build from the ground up. Control it. Own it. Truly BECOME THE MACHINE."

Andrews added: "Batman was a billionaire kid who watched his billionaire parents die at the hands of a poor street thug trying to keep his family alive. Batman didn't declare war against crime, he declared war against the impoverished. The world today doesn't need Batman. The jails are over-run with the poor. The true criminals, the ones that aren't prosecuted ... are protected by money and position. They bankrupt our country, take our jobs, take our homes, kill hope and compassion. And profit from all of it. Today's world needs someone who can make THEM pay. The ONEs. Today's world needs RENATO JONES. ... It's not Revenge. It's Restitution."

Wait, someone's going to take it to the one percent? Boy, talk about fantasy!

SMOSH #1 (of 6)

1936762797?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936762933?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936764392?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936766369?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: MICHAEL MCDERMOTT, YALE STEWART

Art: FRANCO VIGLINO, YALE STEWART  

Cover A: FRANCO VIGLINO

Cover B: YALE STEWART

Cover C: JERRY GAYLORD "May the Fourth"

32 pages / Teen+ / $3.99

SMOSH, the Kings of YouTube Comedy, now bring their wildly popular brand of humor to comics! Behold, the Super Virgin Squad! Gathered together in the V-Cave, a converted Cold War-era survivalist bomb shelter and secret suburban headquarters, this group of unique individuals channel their sexual frustration into superhuman abilities to defend the physically weak, the socially awkward... the geekiest among us! Billy, Paulie, and Stevie's latest mission? To save one of their moms from the presumably slimy seductions of a website swinger! Quick, virgins ... to the Chastity Cycle! Also, as a special back-up story, it's That Damn Neighbor! Benny Jean and Cletus just want to drink beer and admire their lawn flamingo, but the weirdo next door will not be ignored!

With over 9 billion views and 38 million combined subscribers on YouTube, and 31 million social followers, SMOSH has one of the strongest digital footprints of any media brand in existence today. Based on the strength of this audience, SMOSH has also seen multiple chart-topping musical endeavors, record-setting channel spin-offs and top-selling mobile and gaming apps, with more than two million downloads to date. And, in Summer 2015, the brand released its first feature length film SMOSH: The Movie which debuted at #1 on the iTunes comedy chart. SMOSH's Anthony Padilla and Ian Hecox also became the first digital stars to be immortalized in wax by the world famous Madame Tussauds.

I don't follow any "kings of YouTube comedy," so this is an unknown quantity for me. But maybe not for you. Check it out, and tell me what I'm missing.

SPACE BATTLE LUNCHTIME #1

1936766473?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

Writer/Art/Cover: NATALIE RIESS

$3.99

Space Battle Lunchtime is a hit show broadcast all over the universe, and the new season is about to start! When one of the competing chefs drops out at the last minute, an aspiring baker from earth, Peony, gets the opportunity of a lifetime (and a chance at a 20,000 Solarbuck prize!). But is she ready for the cutthroat world of intergalactic cooking?

A food entertainment/sci-fi fusion. I am speechless. (But strangely hungry.)

THUNDERBOLTS #1

1936768579?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936768809?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936770621?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936770865?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936770974?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936773063?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by JIM ZUB

Art & Cover by JON MALIN

Variant Cover by MARK BAGLEY

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Age of Apocalypse Variant by CHRIS STEVENS

Hip-Hop Variant by TONY PIPER

With a flash of lightning, the Thunderbolts have returned! Marvel is pleased to announce THUNDERBOLTS #1 – the new ongoing seires from creators Jim Zub and Jon Malin! From the ashes of AVENGERS: STANDOFF, the Winter Soldier assembles the original Thunderbolts – Moonstone, the Fixer, MACH-V, Atlas and a mysterious new character for a dangerous new mission. One that will put them at the forefront and in the crosshairs of the Marvel Universe!

“Doing the right thing is different than being good,” says writer Jim Zub in an speaking with Marvel.com. “We’ve assembled a potent mix of characters to explore with big drama, big action and unexpected twists along the way. The new team is stacked with powerful personalities and a mission that’s going to tear them up and get right to their core. I’m excited about putting them in tough spots and letting the sparks fly.”

The threats no one else is prepared for. The difficult choices no one else can make. The Thunderbolts are ready to answer the call. Witness their formation this Spring in AVENGERS: STANDOFF and follow their adventures when THUNDERBOLTS #1 comes to comic shops and digital devices this May!

I have such fond memories of several Thunderbolts runs (especially Busiek's), that I wonder if any new series can meet the bar of my nostalgia. But some of these characters desperately need a home, and this is the perfect title for them.

WEAVERS #1

1936773212?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936775110?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: SIMON SPURRIER

Art/Covers: DYLAN BURNETT

$3.99

What's to Love: From The Godfather to The Sopranos, organized crime stories have always fascinated us. Weavers is a macabre story with a twist on the familiar drama of dons, capos and made men, mixing in supernatural elements that only writer Simon Spurrier (The Spire, Cry Havoc) can think up.  It's perfect for fans of Day Men or Scalped!

What It Is: Sid, a young man with nothing going for himself, becomes an unlikely new addition to The Weavers, a brutal, East Coast crime family whose members are bound to loyalty thanks to the supernatural spider inside each one of them, granting them powerful -- and often grotesque -- abilities. Once he realizes what he's capable of, Sid sets out to pursue his own secret agenda, counter to the group's objectives. But he doesn't have much time -- the longer the spider is inside him, the more loyal he becomes to The Weavers ...

1936775714?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024This is just wrong. Spiders are our friends! Stop contributing to the anti-spider propaganda!

BOOKS WITH PRESS RELEASES

Here are some books that I'm not reading, for the most part, but the publishers were proud enough to send press releases and/or variant covers and/or previews. Part of the purpose of this Guide is to give you information for your weekly purposes, so here's some info from the publishers rather than from me. It's not impartial, of course, but more info is always better than less.

A-FORCE #5

1936777508?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936779627?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936781549?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936784359?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936784653?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936786674?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by KELLY THOMPSON

Art & Cover by BEN CALDWELL

Variant Cover by KRIS ANKA

Story Thus Far Variant by MEGHAN HETRICK

Classic Variant by COLEEN DORAN

32 PGS. / Rated T+ / $3.99

“Rage, Rage Against The Dying Of The Light” STARTS NOW!

A-Force is back with a brand new story arc and they’re bringing a brand new creative team along for the ride!

Marvel is pleased to present your  first look at A-FORCE #5 – the first chapter of “Rage, Rage Against The Dying of the Light”! Fan-favorite creators Kelly Thompson and Ben Caldwell join forces to bring you the next chapter of Marvel’s mightiest women! The battle with Antimatter may be over but A-Force is just getting started. When a massive dragon attacks a small coastal town – She-Hulk, Captain Marvel, Medusa, Dazzler, Nico Minoru and new member Singularity spring into action! But this giant beast is more than she seems and she’s got her sights set squarely on A-Force! Oh – did we mention one of the team is keeping a secret? One that might tear A-Force apart? Now is the perfect time to jump on board the smash hit series that is a force to be reckoned with! Be there as Thompson and Caldwell take the reins when A-FORCE #5 comes to comic shops and digital devices this May!

1936786693?profile=RESIZE_180x180JOHNNY BOO'S BIG BOO BOX (Slipcase Edition: Books 1-5)

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer/Art/Cover: by JAMES KOCHALKA

HC w/slipcase • FC • $39.99 • 200 pages • 6.5” x 9.5” x 2”

Johnny Boo is the best little ghost in the whole world, because he has Boo Power. This means that he can go "BOO" really loudly! His pet ghost named Squiggle has Squiggle Power, which means that he can fly and do really fast loop-the-loops. Together they have the world's greatest ghost adventures! And now, for the first time, the first five books of the full-color, all-ages hit series is collected into one handsome slipcase edition, JOHNNY BOO’S BIG BOO BOX!

Collecting Johnny Boo's first five fan-favorite adventures, from Johnny Boo: The Best Little Ghost in the World to Johnny Boo Does Something!

MINIMUM WAGE VOL 2: SO MANY BAD DECISIONS

1936788712?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: BOB FINGERMAN

152 PAGES / BW / M / $14.99

Fan-favorite cartoonist Bob Fingerman returns to MINIMUM WAGE with VOLUME 2: SO MANY BAD DECISIONS, the hilarious slice-of-life story of one man’s search for happiness.

“I'm really excited about this volume, which concludes the storyline started in the previous collection,” said Fingerman. “In addition to the story itself, the book's heaving with bonus material, including a slew of all-new guest pinups done just for this edition from the likes of Amy Reeder, Joseph Michael Linsner, Andrew MacLean, Tommy Lee Edwards, French superstars Stan Manoukian and Julien/CDM and maybe more!"

MINIMUM WAGE, VOL. 2: SO MANY BAD DECISIONS follows post-divorce Rob and his continued struggles—both romantic and careerist—as he divvies up time between dating an Ayn Rand-worshiping, Goth wannabe standup comedian; depicting curiously sagacious mutant crustaceans; and landing in the not-so-healthy but all-too-familiar embrace of his ex. Can so many bad decisions lead to enlightenment?

Featured in New York Magazine’s “Approval Matrix” and Entertainment Weekly’s “Must List,” MINIMUM WAGE is a dose of comedic excellence perfect for fans of Louis C.K. standup and Saturday Night Live sketches.

Collects MINIMUM WAGE: SO MANY BAD DECISIONS #1-6.

NAILBITER #21

1936790123?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer: JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art/Cover: MIKE HENDERSON

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

Writer Joshua Williamson (BIRTHRIGHT) and artist Mike Henderson (Venom, Carnage) will launch a new story arc in their hit horror series NAILBITER this May.

Previously in NAILBITER, NSA agent Nicholas Finch found himself roped into the mystery of Buckaroo, Oregon, where sixteen of the world’s vilest serial killers were spawned—and his life has not gotten any simpler since. A new serial killer appeared, for one; not to mention the commitment of more grisly murders and a major revelation about Alice’s parentage.

In NAILBITER #21, Alice now knows that the Nailbiter is her father. Does that mean she will grow up to be a serial killer?

"It's awesome that we're starting year three of Nailbiter! The team and I are so thankful to the readers and retailers for keeping us alive and killing for the last two years,” said Williamson. “We've been building to the Bound by Blood story arc since the beginning, slowly revealing the secret relationships between the characters. And now with this story arc we focus on Alice as she learns some dark truths about her past. The only way for her to know everything is if she solves the town's big secret...why does it give birth to so many serial killers? How has it been hidden for so long? Crazy things are going to be revealed in this story arc...and it's going to be very bloody!"

"Another year, another arc, another murder spree!” said Henderson. “We can't thank everyone who's kept Nailbiter going strong enough but just to try: Alice takes center stage and learns some new things about her ever-weirder world and the result is some of our darkest and bloodiest yet."

PRIDE & JOY VOL 1

1936790178?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Art/Cover: JOHN HIGGINS

104 PAGES / FC / M / $14.99

“Ennis develops every narrative strand in this scary, violent noir surprisingly fully, and Higgins makes it look richly moody. ... A guilty pleasure par excellence.” —Booklist

Bestselling and Eisner-Award-winning writer Garth Ennis (Preacher, The Boys, War Story) and artist John Higgins present the action-packed crime story, PRIDE & JOY, coming from Image Comics this May.

Pride & Joy is an old favorite of mine, and I'm delighted to see it released in this lovely new Image edition,” said Ennis.

Still mourning the loss of his wife, Jimmy Kavanagh lives quietly in the backwoods of New England, raising his devoted daughter and resentful son. That is, until fate comes calling in the worst way and Jimmy's criminal past threatens to destroy his family.

Higgins added: “Pride & Joy was the first comic story I had worked on that felt complete, like a suspense novel, visceral and violent. Very pleased it will find a new audience with this Image graphic novel.”

SCARLET #8

1936792194?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936793740?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MARVEL COMICS

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art & Cover by ALEX MALEEV

40 PGS. / Mature / $3.95

The wait is over and Scarlet Rue is back in business! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your look inside SCARLET #8 – the smash-hit Marvel/ICON series returning this May! Scarlet Rue returns to rebel against a corrupt society once more! Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Maleev, the Eisner Award-winning team that brought you Daredevil and now International Iron Man bring you the long awaited next chapter in their smash hit creator owned series!

She’s ready to take her one-woman American Revolution to the next level.  It’s time to put a stop to the corruption that’s strangling her city. With the entire country is watching, she’s about to make her boldest move yet. Taking City Hall hostage! But how will the public react to her demands?

“Every day fans have asked us for SCARLET’s return and I wanted to make sure we had the rest of this chapter done and ready to go,” says series writer Brian Michael Bendis. “So not only is issue #8 headed your way but issues #9 and #10 are also done, fully painted, and following in a bi-weekly shipping schedule.”

Created in 2004, Marvel’s ICON imprint is designed specifically for top-tier creators to tell their bold, creator-owned stories featuring their own characters and creations. Producing critically acclaimed hits such as Scarlet, Powers, Kick-Ass and many more, Marvel’s ICON imprint has solidified itself as the place to be for exciting stories from A-list creators.

Catch up on past issues of SCARLET, available now digitally, before it’s exciting return. Don’t miss out on the series that will have everyone talking once more when SCARLET #8 comes to comic shops and digital devices this May!

© 2016 Jinxworld Inc.

1936795697?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE WALKING DEAD COLORING BOOK

1936797643?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Art: CHARLIE ADLARD &STEFANO GAUDIANO

96 PAGES / BW / M / $15.99

What could be more calming than the therapeutic coloring of New York Times bestselling THE WALKING DEAD COLORING BOOK? Color in walkers, brains and gore galore in this official 96-page coloring book set to release from Image Comics/Skybound this May.

This oversized adult coloring book features art from throughout the long-running series, THE WALKING DEAD. Sure, THE WALKING DEAD has never had color, but don’t let that stop you from coloring in all your favorite survivors and zombies!

Just make sure to stock up on plenty of red …

WE STAND ON GUARD VOL 1

1936797682?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: IMAGE COMICS

Writer: BRIAN K. VAUGHAN

Art/Cover: STEVE SKROCE

160 PAGES / FC / M / $24.99

“Intriguing, emotional and engaging.” —Paste Magazine

New York Times bestselling and multiple Eisner-award winning writer Brian K. Vaughan (SAGA, PAPER GIRLS, PRIVATE EYE) and legendary storyboard artist Steve Skroce’s WE STAND ON GUARD’s jaw-dropping military thriller will be collected for the first time into a deluxe hardcover edition—which will include original sketches and other never-before-seen extras—available this May.

Set one hundred years in our future, WE STAND ON GUARD follows a heroic band of Canadian civilians turned freedom fighters who must defend their homeland from invasion by a technologically superior opponent ... the United States of America.

WE STAND ON GUARD launched to critical acclaim and blends the episodic up-tempo pacing of Y the Last Man with an invasion story full of suspense and action.

WE STAND ON GUARD Deluxe Hardcover collects the complete series, issues 1-6.

• MASSIVELY MULTI-COVER PLAYERS

Feeling strangely generous this week. And what better gift to comics fans than lots of variant covers? (OK, don't answer that.) Anyway, here's a bunch of books with at least three covers that I don't read and have nothing to say about. But they have such pretty covers! (Remember: Click 'em to embiggen.)

CROSSED BADLANDS #96

1936761432?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936763238?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936763376?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936765171?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936767295?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: CHRISTOS N. GAGE

Art: FERNANDO HEINZ

Cover A: RAULO CACERES

Cover B: MICHAEL DIPASCALE

Cover C: GERMAN NOBILE

Cover D: RAULO CACERES

Cover E: RAULO CACERES

Mature/$3.99

The SHTF as the final issue of Christos Gage's horrifying tale comes to a bloody conclusion. Their carefully made plans and preparation may have worked for the hordes of raving Crossed maniacs but they can't stop Smokey. With a cruelty that surpasses the animalistic hedonism of the average infected, this Alpha Crossed is clever and his sadism boundless. What is worse than being trapped on the surface with the rampant Crossed? Imagine being trapped in an underground prison with the ultimate killing machine.

GRIMM FAIRY TALES: TALES OF TERROR VOL 2 #7

1936769487?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936771594?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936773628?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936775730?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

Writer: RALPH TEDESCO & Various

Cover A: ERIC J

Cover B: BIFULCO

Cover C: SANAPO

Mature/$3.99

When a husband and wife find a mysterious briefcase in the back of their car, the wife recounts a cryptic encounter that could have ended in horror. But that's only the beginning of the story in this creepy re-imagining of the urban legend "The Briefcase Killer."

GRIMM FAIRY TALES: WONDERLAND #47

1936775787?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936777551?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936779689?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936781716?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

Writer: ERICA J HEFLIN

Art: LEONARDO PACIAROTTI

Art: ROGER BONET

Cover A: MARTINEZ

Cover B: SALONGA

Cover C: BURNS

$3.99

Calie, Violet, and the Dark Cheshire continue to hunt the denizens of Wonderland on Earth!  An escaped and mutilated victim leads the Liddles to the hidden horror chamber ruled by Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. To get close, Calie and Violet must become victims of the Tweedles latest plot.

GRANT MORRISON'S 18 DAYS #11

1936781785?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936783707?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936784145?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: GRAPHIC INDIA PTE. LTD

Writers: GRANT MORRISON, SAMIT BASU

Art: JEEVAN KANG

Cover A: MUKESH SINGH

Cover B: LUKE ROSS

Cover C: JEEVAN KANG

$2.99

As the great war continues, we journey back in time to learn how the supreme and powerful living god Krishna came to be Arjuna's charioteer. In a special backup story we ask who is Gatok and why is this rumored warrior, who they say could defeat the Kaurava army before sundown, forbidden to fight?

HELLINA #2

1936785850?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936787845?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936788105?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936789626?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936792220?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: BOUNDLESS COMICS

Writer: JAI NITZ

Art: RICARDO SILVA

Cover A: GABRIEL ANDRADE

Cover B: RON ADRIAN

Cover C: RAULO CACERES

Cover D: MATT MARTIN

Cover E: RENATO CAMILO

Mature/$5.99

Hellina #2 is a giant-size 64 pages of whip-cracking action! Jai Nitz goes deeper into the new world of Hellina as Heaven's angelic horde have started a clandestine assault!  But Hellina is Hell's Adjudicator, and she'll fight fire with fire!  For those who love a whip-cracking, ball-busting, smoking-hot, demonic executioner, this series is for you!   Making it even better, we continue the legendary Hellina vs. Pandora series, in color for the first time!

Don't miss the amazing array of sexy covers with this issue including a Regular Cover by Gabriel Andrade, Wraparound and Stunning covers by Renato Camilo, Sacrilege Cover by Raulo Caceres, Enforcer Cover by Ron Adrian, and Stunning Cover by Matt Martin. Plus an array of super limited covers for the collector including Painted Century Set of 3 books (limited to 100 sets) by Michael DiPascale and Costume Change Set (limited to 250 sets) by Christian Zanier. For the erotic art collectors, there is a Wraparound and Stunning Nude covers also by Camilo, a Sacrilege Nude Cover by Caceres, an Enforcer Nude Cover by Adrian! To see the uncensored adult covers, please visit www.boundlesscomics.com.

There are nude versions of these covers available, which -- sadly -- explains some of the poses.

VAMPBLADE #4

1936793816?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936795737?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936797596?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936799627?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936799761?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ACTION LAB - DANGER ZONE

Writer: JASON MARTIN

Art/Cover A: WINSTON YOUNG

Cover B: WINSTON YOUNG

Cover C: DENNIS BUDD

Cover D: ANDREW MANGUM

$3.99

Now that Katie has learned more about Vampblade, and why killing space vampires feels oh so good, it's time for botNow tyh to return to the other-dimensional nest to score a big hit. Can Katie pull off her bold double life gamble, and if she does hack her way out of this showdown with the grotesque parasitic horde, will she be irrevocably changed?!? Features regular, "Risqué", "Action Figure", "booty", and "'90s Cheesecake" variant covers.

WAR STORIES #18

1936801433?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936803402?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936805170?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Art/Cover: TOMAS ARIA

Cover B: MATT MARTIN

Cover C: TOMAS ARIA

$3.99

A sneak attack on the squadron's home base leaves Jonah all at sea, while Max's engagement hits a sudden wall. But out in the English Channel waits their adversary, the mysterious E-Boat commander nicknamed Hans the Bastard- and the showdown he has planned is nothing like what our heroes are expecting. The concluding episode of Send A Gunboat, by Garth Ennis and Tomas Aira. Available with Regular, Wraparound Covers by Thomas Aria, Good Girl Nose Art, Battle Damage Retailer Incentive Covers by Matt Martin.

• Totally agree with you about Force Works. I got #1 then quit comics cold turkey after Green Lantern #50!

DC has little to interest me now except for some of their tpbs!

Like the Supergirl one! I'm getting two copies of that: one for my niece who loves the TV show and one for my cousin's daughter who loves the new dolls.

The Star Trek: New Visions series has been a treat each and every time!

I can only handle the Punisher in small doses so yes to Daredevil/Punisher and no to The Punisher!

• Good God, man, if I ever work at another newspaper I am hiring you as a reviewer.

Quick, succinct, powerful.

Were that I were so concise. This Guide would be much shorter!

• As the Avengers completist that I am/was I tried to stick with Force Works...
    Hated it.
    Once the Crossing hit I had NO IDEA what was going on and still don't.

• "Strange how scenes of male characters getting dressed never makes the cover, eh?"

Well, I wouldn't say never... :P

29748206608.9.GIF

• So, Kitty's asleep with her head on Kurt's butt?

• PEANUTS: This shipped to my LCS last week. There are a lot of Li’l Folks strips after the end of Peanuts. I, too, “did the math” when this series first started. And now the day has finally arrived (additional volume notwithstanding). Won’t the extra volume through off the symmetry of the dust jacket design? I catch up with this series, then allow muself to fall behind, only to get caught up again. Right now I’m in the middle of Vol. 22 (1993—1994).

STAR TREK NEW VISIONS: OF WOMAN BORN: It occurs to me that when James Blish adapted “Who Morns for Adonis” into prose, he tagged on a little “twist ending” that Carolyn Palamas was pregnant. (Remember, in the days before VHS, when fans had to buy prose adaptaions of their favorite shows?)

CARL BARKS LIBRARY: This is another one that shipped to my LCS last week. I haven’t read this volume yet, but other than that, this is one series I am caught up on. I use two bookmarks: one for the stories, one for the endnotes.

ON REBOOTS: Have you noticed there aren’t any high-numbered super-hero titles around anymore? They’re all been replaced by s series of short series. For example, Incredible Hulk (2011) lasted a mere 15 issues before it was replaced by Indestructible Hulk (2012) which lasted 20 issues before being replaced by Hulk (2014) which lasted only 16 issues. Now there is (choke) Totally Awesome Hulk. Yeah, yeah… Action Comics and Superman will soon resume their “legacy numbering,” butin my book, once you deviate you can’t go back; the “missing” numbers will remain missing. I think the longest running consecutively numbered super-hero series must be Spawn and Savage Dragon. How sad is that?

“…so just go back read all the stuff you just skipped over.”

That’s funny (because it’s true).

• I have the complete set of James Blish's Star Trek Logs and I do indeed remember that bit but I think it was in the original TV script but was dropped due to "decency standards".

• Hmm... could be, but I thought the change originated with Blish. He took other liberties from time to time as well, such as re-titling "The Man Trap" to "The Unreal McCoy."

For the record, the "Log" series was adapted by Alan Dean Foster from the animated series.

This reply was deleted.