THE CAPTAIN'S COMMENTS

Here are some of this week's books worth special mention:

Alley Oop: The Complete Sundays 1934-36: Dark Horse has begun reprinting the adventures of the time-traveling caveman with the name derived from a French phrase favored by gymnasts and trapeze artists ("Allez hop!"). That's a comic strip I've always enjoyed more by reputation than experience, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuss was all about.

Chaos #1: Dynamite has landed yet another set of legacy characters, this time from defunct Chaos Comics. Unfortunately, though, they didn't get the headliner: Lady Death. Far and away the most popular character at Chaos, Lady Death moved to CrossGen when Chaos filed for Chapter 7 in 2002, and then to Avatar Press when CrossGen filed Chapter 11 in 2004, where she remains today.

That leaves a clutch of also-rans that I don't know much about, but that Dynamite will re-introduce in the six-issue Chaos miniseries beginning this week. That includes Evil Ernie, an undead serial killer; Chastity, a vampire, punk-rock assassin; Purgatori, the "queen of bloodsuckers"; and The Omen, a "band of supernatural misfits." Chastity is already slated for her own book beginning in July, and it is likely others will spin off if sales warrant.

I can't say I'm filled with optimism about this pedestrian crew, especially without Lady Death. But writer Tim Seeley has done good work on Hack/Slash and G.I. Joe, and he's bound to be better than Chaos creator Brian Pulido, whose work always seemed informed more by enthusiasm than talent.

Cyclops #1: After 50 years of thankless leadership of the X-Men, losing two wives, being displaced by Wolverine in virtually every way possible and -- the final insult -- being turned into a quasi-villain, Scott Summers is finally getting his own series. But it's not THAT Cyclops! It's the time-displaced younger version of the character we've known since 1963. D'oh! Only Sad Sack Summers could manage to demote himself!

Which is OK, really. It could be interesting. However, the tack they're taking -- at least in these early issues -- is to have young Summers hang out with his father, the space pirate. That doesn't appeal to me, because I've never liked Corsair, the Starjammers or the whole space-pirate concept.

Here are some reasons why. For one, transplanting Earth concepts like pirates -- complete with sashes and cutlasses -- into outer space always feels phony to me (alien races would have their own mythologies to exploit). For another, I always get annoyed when an alien team's token human is the leader for no discernible reason (when generally everyone around him is more powerful and/or more technologically advanced). Sure, I want the human to be prominent, because he or she provides the reader's POV. But give me a solid reason why the human should be the leader, not just writer's fiat.

And speaking of writer's fiat, the final reason I don't like Corsair or the Starjammers is because they were created by, and most of their stories have been written by, Chris Claremont. Now, Claremont has his strengths as a writer, but one thing he's terrible at is spontaneous exuberance (which is the basic appeal of swashbuckling). Any time any character in a Claremont story begins to experience joy, he or she is instantly buried by tons of words describing that joy, and reasons why the character is feeling it, and explanations about why this character hasn't experience it before, and possibly something unrelated, like what the character had for breakfast. So even if the whole idea of swashbuckling in space appealed to me -- which it doesn't -- whatever thrill I might have experienced would have been snuffed in its crib by the very writer who was trying to thrill me. So when I think "Starjammers," I think "meh."

But Greg Rucka is the writer on Cyclops, and I generally like his work, so maybe he can sell me on space pirates and a substitute Summers. That's a big lift even for a writer of Rucka's stature, but I'll try to keep an open mind.

Madame Frankenstein #1: Most Frankenstein riffs flat flat with me, but this Image title seems to head in a different direction than most, and the 1930s setting is appropriate (Frankenstein came out in 1931, Bride of Frankenstein in 1935) and welcome.

Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man #1: The Ultimate Spidey gets a re-launch with a title that distinguishes his book from the Marvel Universe: Ultimate Spider-Man book (which is based on the cartoon). I don't know if that's the reason for the new name, but it's not a bad thing. And, while I don't follow the Ultimate Universe, Morales is doubtless the most interesting character in it.

Nailbiter #1: An FBI agent notices that one small town in Oregon is producing a prodigious amount of serial killers. When he investigates, he disappears. His successor follows the same trail, in an Image series that promises to be deliciously creepy.

Original Sin #1: Given the unprecedented hype accompanying this big summer event at Marvel, is there anything I could add that you don't already know? On the off chance you haven't heard, Original Sin is a miniseries that will reveal damaging secrets about all the major Marvel characters all summer long, both in the miniseries and their own books, using The Watcher's eyes as the mechanism. The Watcher won't be using his eyes, you see, because the series opens with Uatu's mysterious murder, and that murder mystery will be the narrative engine that gets us to all these secrets.

I assume that, like most summer events, there will be good parts and bad. But one part I'm looking forward to is that Captain America will learn (in Avengers #29) that the Illuminati kicked him out for being too idealistic a little while back, and tampered with his memories to make him forget the Illuminati exist. That struck me as an outrage at the time, and I'm looking forward to seeing Cap getting his pound of flesh. Will he kick Iron Man out of the Avengers ... again?

X-Men: No More Humans: The third in Marvel's new original graphic novel series has arrived before I've had a chance to read the second. I was a bit disappointed in the first (Avengers: Endless Wartime), which I'll get around to reviewing one of these days. But I mention it because it demonstrates to me that you can take my favorite superheroes (The Avengers) and have them written by one of my favorite writers (Warren Ellis), and still come a-cropper. Fingers crossed for No More Humans.

THIS WEEK'S COMICS

The Comics Guide is assembled using the Diamond Comic Distributors Inc. website, as a guide, and is subject to change. Clicking on most images results in a larger image. All information is from Diamond and/or publisher solicitations and press releases, except for random comments by Captain Comics (in blue), and occasional comments by The Baron (in this here purplish color).

ARCHIE COMICS

B&V FRIENDS DOUBLE DIGEST #238

Script: FRANK DOYLE

Art: DAN DECARLO, JIMMY DECARLO, BILL YOSHIDA, BARRY GROSSMAN

Cover: BILL GALVAN, BOB SMITH, ROSARIO "TITO" PENA

160-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

Betty and Veronica are two beautiful brides -- but wait, brides? In high school?! And who exactly are they marrying? Get an early look at the married lives of our two favorite BFFs before Life With Archie and see what happens when Archie’s faced with the decision of a lifetime in “Archie’s Choice,” the 4-part story that leads the way in this jam-packed double digest!

WORLD OF ARCHIE DOUBLE DIGEST #39

Script: BILL GOLLIHER

Art: FERNANDO RUIZ, AL NICKERSON, BILL YOSHIDA, BARRY GROSSMAN

Cover: FERNANDO RUIZ, BOB SMITH, ROSARIO "TITO" PENA

160-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

Archie and Dilton are embarking on a new business venture -- aerial photography! The boys are ready to make history, but what happens when their new invention lands in a no-fly zone? Find out in “In Plane View,” the lead story to an entertaining double digest!

DARK HORSE

I don't know if this means anything, but of DH's 16 offerings this week, the bulk (10) are collections. And of the six comic books, only two are ongoing titles. It's regular monthlies that keep the lights on at most publishers, so let's hope this is an aberration, or that the collections are really pulling it in.

ALLEY OOP: THE COMPLETE SUNDAYS VOL 1, 1934-1936 (HC)

Writer/Art/Cover: V. T. HAMLIN

FC, 128 pages, $75.00

HC, 12” x 16”

COMIC STRIP MASTERPIECES!

Introducing the first in a series that will collect, in chronological order, all the Sunday pages of this popular newspaper strip! Go back in time to the prehistoric kingdom of Moo and follow the fantastic, whimsical -- and often cleverly satirical -- Stone Age adventures of V. T. Hamlin’s irrepressible caveman, Alley Oop! This oversized volume collects every Alley Oop Sunday strip from 1934 through 1936, in full color.

• After over ninety years, Alley Oop is still in publication!

• A beloved and enduring pop culture character!

• Reprinted in full color!

It's about time!

ANGEL & FAITH SEASON 10 #2

Writer: VICTOR GISCHLER

Art: WILL CONRAD

Colors: MICHELLE MADSEN

Cover: SCOTT FISCHER

Variant Cover: CHRIS SAMNEE

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Ongoing

VARIANT COVER BY CHRIS SAMNEE!

As Faith awkwardly settles into her new job at Kennedy’s bodyguards-for-hire company, Angel is finding that he knows less than everyone about what is going on in London’s magic town. Trying to get to the bottom of a fiendish group of scheming pixies, Angel travels further down a really wrong road ...

• Will Conrad (Serenity) returns to the Whedonverse!

• Executive produced by Joss Whedon!

Columnist Chris Fluit explained that Angel & Faith has been "graduated" to Season 10 from wherever it actually was (Season Five? Season Six?) so that it would match better as a companion book to Buffy the Vampire Slayer Season 10. Doesn't that leave an awesome possibility for someone to go back and fill in those missing seasons?

BAD BLOOD #5 (of 5)

Writer: JONATHAN MABERRY

Art/Cover: TYLER CROOK

FC, 32 pages , $3.99

Miniseries

The big showdown between man and monster takes place in the vampires’ lair and the fate of humanity is on the line.

• Written by Bram Stoker Award winner Jonathan Maberry (Ghost Road Blues).

• Art by Eisner Award winner Tyler Crook (B.P.R.D., The Sixth Gun).

I can't sample all the new vampire books fast enough to see which ones are best. There are so many vampires out there, it's hard to believe the human race made it to the end of the week!

CONAN AND THE PEOPLE OF THE BLACK CIRCLE (HC)

Writer: FRED VAN LENTE

Art/Cover: ARIEL OLIVETTI

FC, 96 pages, $19.99

HC, 7” x 10”

After an agent of the dreaded Black Seers of Yimsha assassinates the king of Vendhya, his sister Yasmina -- now a queen -- vows revenge! But her plans are derailed when Conan kidnaps her, and soon the Cimmerian has ruthless mercenaries, vengeance-crazed tribesmen, sinister sorcerers, and an entire army hard on his heels! Collects the four-issue miniseries.

• From the celebrated team behind Hercules and Hulk!

• Conan like you’ve never seen him -- fully painted by Olivetti!

• From the new writer of the monthly series!

Eisner and Harvey Award Winner: Best Anthology!

I can't imagine this being anything other than terrific. It's a great REH story, and Olivetti is painting it!

EMILY AND THE STRANGERS (HC)

Writers: ROB REGER, MARIAH HUEHNER

Art/Cover: EMILY IVIE

Cover: BUZZ PARKER

FC, 80 pages, $12.99

HC, 6” x 9”

In order to win a legendary haunted guitar, Emily is determined to create the most rockin’ song the world has ever known ... but can she do it solo? Emily isn’t known for playing well with others, but she’s going to have to rely on the help of some Strangers if she’s going to succeed on her musical journey to the true heart of rock ’n’ roll! Collects the three-issue miniseries.

• An Emily the Strange feature film is currently in development.

For some reason, this gives me a Scott Pilgrim vibe. Maybe it's the guitar. Anybody familiar with it?

FEAR AGENT VOLUME 2: MY WAR SECOND EDITION (TPB)

Writer: RICK REMENDER

Art: JEROME OPENA

Colors: MICHELLE MADSEN

Cover: TONY MOORE

FC, 136 pages, $16.99

TPB, 7” x 10”

Remender/Opeña!

Trapped in the past, alien exterminator Heath Huston must face the automaton regime that robbed him of all he loves. With the Feeders advancing on Earth, can Heath extract payback before the alien infestation arrives? Jerome Opeña (Avengers) joins Rick Remender for this exciting volume, collecting issues #5-10 of the acclaimed series.

“There’s nobody writing straight-ahead, classic action like Rick Remender, and nowhere better to get it than Fear Agent.” -- Kurt Busiek

There is no escape from Rick Remender, whose work is also currently appearing at Marvel and Image. NO ESCAPE!

GRINDHOUSE: DOORS OPEN AT MIDNIGHT #8 (of 8)

Writer: ALEX DE CAMPI

Art/Cover: GARY ERSKINE

Cover: DAN PANOSIAN

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

The knock-around teen gals of Oneida hockey camp discover that they may have taken on more than they bargained for, as they face off with an ancient, evil beast with a hunger for the sweet meat of virgins! And that calls for a shopping spree -- for all the guns!

• Gary Erskine (Judge Dredd) brings on the bloodthirsty fun!

• Alex de Campi (Ashes) turns the blood and guts up to eleven!

I never get around to buying this book, but every issue tempts me. I just think the lurid, over-the-top, unapologetic adolescence of the grindhouse genre is fun and funny, and is what comics were made for.

MAGNUS: ROBOT FIGHTER ARCHIVES VOL 3 (TPB)

Writers: RUSS MANNING, ROBERT SCHAEFER, HERB CASTLE, DON CHRISTENSEN

Art: RUSS MANNING, MIKE ROYER

FC, 184 pages, $19.99

TPB, 7” x 10”

Comics legend Russ Manning’s artistic flair reaches new heights in this final volume, as he pits the intrepid robot slayer Magnus against a seemingly endless cadre of wildly imaginative metal menaces. The classic sci-fi hero kicks, punches, and trademark chops his way through an army of robots to keep his futuristic world safe! Collects 1960s-era Magnus, Robot Fighter issues #15–#21.

Foreword by Keith Giffen!

Well, this is awkward. Dynamite is publishing the new adventures of Magnus! Let's hope they don't meet at a party.

MICHAEL AVON OEMING'S THE VICTORIES #11

Writer/Art/Cover: MICHAEL AVON OEMING

Colors: NICK FILARDI

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

Attack of the Jackals!

The surviving members of the Victories are at a standoff with the military. With Metatron and DD Mau dead, Faustus is on the edge. Will one more death push him into becoming the killer Jackal said he was? Will the Powers be able to save themselves and the innocents around them?

By Eisner Award winner Michael Avon Oeming (cocreator of Powers).

“Michael Avon Oeming has some of the biggest balls in comic story telling these days and writes his stories fearlessly.” -- Comic Bastards

MURDER MYSTERIES (2ND ED HC)

Writer: NEIL GAIMAN 

Art/Cover: P. CRAIG RUSSELL

Colors: LOVERN KINDZIERSKI

FC, 112 pages, $19.99

HC, 7” x 10”

Neil Gaiman!

Constructing and maintaining all of heaven and earth is an immense task, which God has divided up among the various ranks and stations of angels. As with any such huge effort, there are bound to be casualties. This unique passion play sheds light on the hands behind creation, as well as one lonely man in LA who gets to hear the whole story of a most unspeakable crime: a murder in paradise!

• Featuring sketches, high-res scans, and more bonus material from master artist P. Craig Russell!

I've pre-ordered this from Amazon. Gaiman and Russell is just too amazing a combination to pass up. How did I miss the first edition?

S.H.O.O.T. FIRST (TPB)

Writer: JUSTIN ACLIN

Art/Cover: NICOLAS DANIEL SELMA

Art/Colors: BEN BATES

Colors: MARLAC

FC, 112 pages, $12.99

TP, 7” x 10”

The Secular Humanist Occult Obliteration Taskforce exists to defend humanity from gods, fairies, monsters, and the legions of other creatures that survive on human beliefs and fears. If you’ve got a problem with a demon, dragon, or deity, better call SHOOT! Collects the four-issue miniseries, plus an eight-page story from MySpace Dark Horse Presents #35.

• An exciting, original, and irreverent concept from comics’ hottest new talent!

• Sci-fi action in the four-color tradition with a bold new twist!

“Aclin’s S.H.O.O.T. First might be the first of its kind.” -- Unleash the Fanboy

STAR WARS OMNIBUS: DARK TIMES VOL 2 (TPB)

Writer: RANDY STRADLEY

Pencils/Cover: DOUGLAS WHEATLEY

Pencils/Inks: GABRIEL GUZMAN

Colors: CHRIS CHUCKRY, GARRY HENDERSON, DAN JACKSON, DAVE MCCRAIG

FC, 456 pages, $24.99

TP, 6” x 9”

Jedi Dass Jennir takes a job that attracts the attention of Lord Vader himself! Meanwhile, Jedi Master K’Kruhk tries to shield a group of Padawans from the Empire’s hunt for Jedi. Culminating in a confrontation between the Jedi and Darth Vader, the galaxy’s dark times continue ... Collects Dark Times Volume 4 -- Blue Harvest, Dark Times Volume 5 -- Out of the Wilderness, Dark Times Volume 6 -- Fire Carrier and Dark Times Volume 7 -- A Spark Remains.

“Highest possible recommendation.” -- SciFi Pulse

TERMINATOR SALVATION: THE FINAL BATTLE #6 (of 12)

Writer: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

Art/Cover: PETE WOODS

Colors: MATT WILSON

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

THE FATE OF JOHN CONNOR REVEALED!

Years ago, cybernetic infiltrator Marcus Wright sacrificed himself in a noble effort to save the life of John Connor. Now, as the alliance between serial killer Thomas Parnell and Skynet endangers Skynet’s own survival, the machines pull out their last ace in the hole -- the resurrection of Wright!

• From J. Michael Straczynski (Ten Grand, Amazing Spider-Man, Thor)!

• Pete Woods (Superman, Deadpool)!

“They have my interest. Let the battle begin.” -- Comic Bastards

TRIGUN MAXIMUM OMNIBUS VOLUME 3 (TPB)

Writer/Art: YASUHIRO NIGHTOW

B&W, 616 pages, $19.99

TPB, 5” x 7”

616 PAGES OF TRIGUN!

Vash the Stampede is the deadliest gunslinger in the galaxy, but his brother, Knives, is the deadliest creature in existence! Knives is out to turn planet Gunsmoke into just that, and he may soon grow too powerful to be stopped -- though Vash may die trying! Sci-fi insanity from Yasuhiro Nightow! Collects Trigun Maximum volumes 7, 8, and 9.

• A mainstay of Cartoon Network’s Adult Swim!

Trigun: Badlands Rumble film released in 2010.

• Yasuhiro Nightow’s Blood Blockade Battlefront now being published by Dark Horse Manga.

I've read a few volumes of this. It's not bad stuff. A gunslinger is followed around a somewhat desolate Earth colony by two claims adjusters who consider him a menace.

THE TRUE LIVES OF THE FABULOUS KILLJOYS (TPB, Ltd. Ed. HC)

Writers: GERARD WAY, SHAUN SIMON

Art/Cover: BECKY CLOONAN

Colors: DAN JACKSON

TPB, 7” x 10”, FC, 160 pages, $19.99

Ltd. Ed. HC, 8” x 12 3/16”, FC, 232 pages, $79.99

Years ago, the Killjoys fought against the tyrannical megacorporation Better Living Industries, costing them their lives, save for one -- the mysterious Girl. Today, the followers of the original Killjoys languish in the Desert while BLI systematically strips citizens of their individuality. As the fight for freedom fades, it’s left to the Girl to take up the mantle and bring down the fearsome BLI! Collects The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys #1-6 and “Dead Satellites” from Free Comic Book Day 2013.

• From Gerard Way, creator of the Eisner Award–winning The Umbrella Academy!

• Hardcover limited to 2,500 copies!

• Hardcover includes an extensive sketchbook with artwork from Becky Cloonan, Gabriel Bá, Paul Pope, Gerard Way, Fábio Moon, Rafael Grampá, and Brian Ewing.

“Killjoys is a celebration of expecting the unexpected and carving out your own path.” -- Multiversity Comics

VEIL #3 (of 5)

Writer: GREG RUCKA

Art/Cover: TONI FEJZULA

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Miniseries

New series from Greg Rucka!

When Veil’s only ally is ripped away from her, she’s left at the mercy of a mysterious and powerful enemy. Could this stranger know who Veil is? Why is he pursuing her? The truth is more terrifying than you can imagine.

• Rucka’s next great heroine is not what you expect!

• Not quite horror, not quite mystery -- and unlike anything Rucka’s done before!

I only know this character is supposed to be attractive because the solicitations keep telling me so. Frankly, she looks pretty creepy to me!

DC COMICS

ALL-STAR WESTERN VOL. 4: GOLD STANDARD (TPB)

Written by JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by MORITAT and STAZ JOHNSON

Cover by HOWARD PORTER

176 pg, FC, $16.99 U.S.

In these tales from issues #17-21, when a strange man clad in gold with force fields, lasers and the ability to fly drops into the past, Jonah Hex’s mettle and grit will be tested as never before. And if the Old West was a challenge, how will Hex handle modern-day Gotham City?

I shuddered when I read that Hex was going to time-travel, having lived through the ill-fated Hex of yesteryear. But apparently the sky didn't fall, and some Legionnaires said it was pretty good. So I'm still on board for this trade, podnuh.

AQUAMAN AND THE OTHERS #2

Writer: DAN JURGENS

Art: LAN MEDINA, ED TADEO

Cover: IVAN REIS, JOE PRADO

32 pg, FC, $2.99 U.S. • RATED T

The Others’ plane is blown to bits at 40,000 feet -- how will this group of non-flying heroes survive?

Plus: Who wants the team’s Atlantean relics? And why?

Not only is "The Others" a bland name for a super-group, but in an industry that generally uses all caps, it can lead to confusion.

Aquaman: "I'VE FOUND A RELIC OF ATLANTIS. NOW I NEED TO GET THE OTHERS."

The other relics? Or The Others? There were at least two times in the last Aquaman TPB where I didn't know what the Sea King was referring to.

ASTRO CITY #12

Writer: KURT BUSIEK

Art: GRAHAM NOLAN

Cover: ALEX ROSS

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

What makes a man dress to the nines to commit crimes? Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross are joined by ASTRO CITY’s first-ever guest artist, Graham Nolan (BATMAN, TALON, X-Men Forever), for a look deep into the life of a costumed criminal -- the Gentleman Bandit of the Menagerie Gang, the Sweet Adelines, the Gatsbies and more. Featuring appearances by the Jack-In-The-Box and the Confessor!

This is actually running a week earlier than the May solicitations would suggest. That's pretty awesome for a Kurt Busiek book! For the record, I love Busiek's work, and his lateness in the past was due to, of all things, mercury poisoning. But while he was very, very sick he gained a bad rep for lateness, so I'm delighted to see that turning around.

BATMAN ETERNAL #5

Writer: SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, RAY FAWKES, JOHN LAYMAN, TIM SEELEY

Art: ANDY CLARKE

Cover: ANDY KUBERT

As the Dark Knight’s weekly series continues, Red Robin takes center stage in a major Gotham City mystery that has Harper and Cullen Row caught in the crosshairs!

Maybe we'll finally find out how Red Robin and Batman are related in The New 52. We've received conflicting information.

BATMAN VOL. 4: ZERO YEAR -- SECRET CITY (HC)

Written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV

Art by GREG CAPULLO, DANNY MIKI, RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE and others

Cover by GREG CAPULLO and DANNY MIKI

176 pg, FC, $24.99 U.S.

The second arc of BATMAN: ZERO YEAR is collected as the New 52 origin of The Dark Knight delves into Bruce Wayne’s past with the Red Hood Gang and his run-ins with aspiring District Attorney Harvey Dent! You won’t want to miss the moment that Bruce becomes Batman! This new hardcover collects BATMAN #21-24.

I almost didn't bother to note that this is an homage cover. Is there anyone reading this who doesn't know that? If so, why are you even here? Anyway, I've posted the original below.

One other thing: Batman is now being depicted in his earliest days as he was in his earliest comics, complete with his original purple driving gloves. Those gloves just tickle me. "I am a fearsome BAT! Also, could I have the afternoon off, Miss Daisy?"

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #10

Written by GREG PAK

Art and cover by JAE LEE

1:25 MAD Variant cover

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $4.99 U.S.

This issue will ship with three covers.

Following the events of FIRST CONTACT, witness the last days of Batman and Superman of Earth 2 from a new perspective.

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

This was originally due out April 16. If you're trying to follow the Batman/Superman-Worlds' Finest crossover, it is not your imagination: You really are reading them out of order.

BATMAN VOL. 3: DEATH OF THE FAMILY (TPB)

Written by SCOTT SNYDER and JAMES TYNION IV

Art by GREG CAPULLO, JONATHAN GLAPION and JOCK

Cover by GREG CAPULLO

176 pg, FC, $16.99 U.S.

After having his face sliced off, The Joker makes his horrifying return to Gotham City in this epic from issues #13-17 that shook Batman to his core! But even for a man who’s committed a lifetime of murder, he’s more dangerous than ever before. How can Batman protect his city and those he’s closest to?

As I've said before, I think this was a great idea, often well executed, but the ending fell a little flat. I'd almost rather it were the other way around.

BATWING #31

Wriiters: JUSTIN GRAY, JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art: EDUARDO PANSICA, JULIO FERREIRA

Cover: DAN PANOSIAN

Batwing faces his most dangerous mission yet -- traveling straight into the madness that is The Gotham Underground to put an end to those behind The Uprising! Will Batman, Incorporated be in the market for a new Batwing? Or is our hero ready to prove himself once and for all?

I don't follow this book, so can anyone tell me why we have a Batwing in Gotham instead of Africa? Is it the same guy? If not, is the new guy still black? And what does he add to a Gotham where Bat-critters are thick on the ground?

DETECTIVE COMICS #31

Writers: FRANCIS MANAPUL, BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art and cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

1:25 BATMAN ‘66 variant cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

32 pg, FC, $3.99 U.S. • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $4.99 US

Death comes to Wayne Manor -- and the number one suspect is Bruce Wayne! In order to solve this mystery, Batman’s investigations will lead him to the mysterious man known as Sumo!

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

EARTH 2 #23

Writer: TOM TAYLOR

Art: NICOLA SCOTT, TREVOR SCOTT

Cover: GENE HA

1:25 BATMAN ‘66 Variant Cover: MICHAEL ALLRED

This issue will ship with two covers.

With Green Lantern resurrected, the heroes of Earth 2 go on the offensive against the forces of Darkseid and Apokolips! As the heroes prepare an all-out assault, plans are put into motion for the Red Tornado to make one last, desperate attempt to stop Superman.

IIRC, the Red Tornado of Earth 2 is the Lois Lane of Earth 2, her personality downloaded into an android body. And she's going to confront a mind-controlled Superman. Please, Mr. Taylor, don't go the cliched direction I expect this to go! If Supes gains his mental freedom through the power of luuuuuuv -- as opposed to things like being ordered to kill -- I may just throw up.

FAIREST #26

Writer: MARC ANDREYKO

Art: SHAWN McMANUS

Cover: ADAM HUGHES

32 pg, FC, $2.99 U.S. • MATURE READERS

The epic conclusion is here! As all roads have led back to Fabletown, Cinderella leads the battle against the seemingly endless onslaught of mice/mundy hybrids! This one has it all: Blood! Guts! Romance! Swordplay! Magic! Mystery! Noble sacrifice! And ... cheese? Read it before the clock strikes midnight!

"Cinderella leads the battle against the seemingly endless onslaught of mice/mundy hybrids!"

Weren't the horses on Cinderella's carriage magically transformed mice? Maybe they bear a grudge.

GODZILLA (HC)

Written by MAX BORENSTEIN and GREG BORENSTEIN

Art by ERIC BATTLE, YVEL GUICHET, ALAN QUAH and LEE LOUGHRIDGE

Cover by ARTHUR ADAMS

72 pg, FC, $19.99 U.S.

In May 2014, audiences will witness the epic rebirth of the King of Monsters as Legendary and Warner Bros. bring Godzilla to the big screen. To pave the way for the iconic creature’s return, Legendary Comics is proud to present the official Godzilla graphic novel!
Delve into an incredible mystery, generations in the making. At the dawn of the atomic age, humanity awakens lifeforms beyond imagination, unleashing monumental forces of nature. This explosive, larger-than-life adventure is the perfect way for fans to experience the new Godzilla before seeing it in theaters.

IN THEATERS MAY 16, 2014!

TM & © Toho Co., Ltd. © Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.

This bears a little explanation.

The DC solicitations called this GN just Godzilla, with the accompanying image at left. But I can't find that book. Instead, the info seems to line up with Godzilla: Awakening, a GN coming out this month from Legendary, with the cover at right. And the info saya "Cover by Arthur Adams," which also reflects the art at right. (The art at left is used for the cover of a Godzilla calendar.) So I've included the art on the left just in case, but I think if you're looking you'll find the one on the right.

GREEN ARROW #31

Writer: JEFF LEMIRE

Art/Cover: ANDREA SORRENTINO

“The Outsiders War” finale, featuring the return of Count Vertigo! As the final shot in this war is fired from his bow -- what is left of Green Arrow?

I find myself actually interested in how this ends.

GREEN LANTERN #31

Writer: ROBERT VENDITTI

Art/Cover: BILLY TAN

1:25 BATMAN ‘66 Variant Cover: MICHAEL ALLRED

Combo pack edition: $3.99 U.S.

“UPRISING” part 1! Rebellion has spread across the universe as former allies join forces with the Durlans, Khund and Outer Clanns to overthrow the authority of the Corps. It’s an all-out assault on Mogo, but will the greatest threat come from without -- or within? The outcome of the battle, the survival of the Corps and the future of the universe itself rests on the shoulders of Hal Jordan -- and after a bruising start to his tenure as Corps leader, he is more than ready for a fight! This new epic continues in this month’s GREEN LANTERN CORPS #31!

HINTERKIND #7

Writer: IAN EDGINTON

Art: FRANCESCO TRIFOGLI

Cover: GREG TOCCHINI

32 pg, FC, $2.99 U.S. • MATURE READERS

Princess Tersia has a vision of the future and the shape of things to come. She’s married to Jon Hobb and carrying his baby. Oh, and there’s a dragon! Is it a dream or a nightmare? Meanwhile, bounty hunters Starla and Jubal find the tables are turned as they’re run to ground by a Centaur posse.

I read the first trade of this since last month, and I enjoyed it more in TPB form than I did individual issues. And it looks to be even grimmer and deadlier than I expected, too. So I like it better (but I'm still not hooked).

JUSTICE LEAGUE 3000 #6

Writers: KEITH GIFFEN, J.M. DeMATTEIS

Art/Cover: HOWARD PORTER

The League decides to launch a mission to rescue Green Lantern without Cadmus’s approval! Plus: The unfortunate return of The Flash makes things awkward for everybody!

THE MOVEMENT #12

Writer: GAIL SIMONE

Art: FREDDIE WILLIAMS II

Cover: STEVEN SEGOVIA

32 pg, FC, $2.99 U.S. • RATED T+ • FINAL ISSUE

There’s no length the Movement won’t go to if it means rescuing one of their own from a cult that has deep roots in Burden’s hometown.

THE NEW 52 -- FUTURE'S END #1

Writer: KEITH GIFFEN, DAN JURGENS, BRIAN AZZARELLO, JEFF LEMIRE

Art: PATRICK ZIRCHER

Cover: RYAN SOOK

1:50 Variant Cover: JOHN ROMITA, JR.,  KLAUS JANSON

This issue will ship with two covers.

Five years from now, the DC Universe is reeling from a war with another Earth, leaving the world unprepared for an approaching evil that threatens to destroy the future. Can a time-traveling Batman Beyond help a massive cast of the DCU’s finest avert the impending apocalypse? Find out in this new weekly series that will forever alter the direction of The New 52! In this debut issue of The New 52’s weekly series, Batman Beyond arrives five years later! Grifter turns against humanity! And a Justice League member DIES!

I read the FCBD intro issue, and darned if it didn't read a whole lot like "Days of Future Past." Dystopic future? Check. Heroes mostly killed or captured? Check. Robot menace? Check. Hero sent to past in desperate attempt to change future? Aaaaaand ... check.

Let's hope the similarities end there, and something new and different emerges from the execution.

SAGA OF THE SWAMP THING BOOK 6 (TPB)

Written by ALAN MOORE

Art by RICK VEITCH, STEVEN BISSETTE and others • Cover by JOHN TOTLEBEN

208 pg, FC, $19.99 U.S. • MATURE READERS

This collection of issues #57-64 of SWAMP THING begins across the galaxy, where the Swamp Thing’s consciousness has been hurled. Trying to find his way back to Earth, Swamp Thing stops over on Thanagar, home of Hawkman; Rann, home of Adam Strange; and encounters the Green Lantern of a world of sentient plants.

When these hardbacks were first released, I bought them all despite already having all the individual issues. This is a series I'm likely to read again and again.SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP #4

Writer: SHOLLY FISCH

Art/Cover: DARIO BRIZUELA

32 pg, FC, $2.99 U.S. • RATED E

Is Titans Tower haunted?! Could there be more to the thumps in the night than a series of “ghostly” pranks by Beast Boy and Cyborg? Robin has called in some experts to solve the mystery -- if Scooby, Shaggy, Cyborg, and Beast Boy ever stop chowing down on pizza and start looking for clues, that is!

Hey, look, a team-up without Batman! Moreover, it looks like the Scoobies will only interact with the cartoon versions of the DCU, which answers a few questions I had about this title.

SWAMP THING #31

Writer: CHARLES SOULE

Art/Cover: JESUS SAIZ

32 pg, FC, $2.99 U.S. • RATED T+

“The Gift of the Sureen” reaches its finale as a major new player is revealed to the Swamp Thing’s world! In order to survive the Sureen’s “gift,” Alec Holland must become an entirely different being!

TEEN TITANS ANNUAL #3

Written by SCOTT LOBDELL

Art and cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

48 pg, FC, $4.99 U.S. • RATED T

Skitter finally returns to the team -- and it’s perfect timing, because the Teen Titans are going to need all the power they can muster in this final battle against the man known as Harvest! Plus, the team must deal with the staggering betrayal by one of their own!

This book has always seemed like it was assembled by committee. Is there any teen angst cliche it hasn't adopted?TRINITY OF SIN: PHANTOM STRANGER #19

Writer: J.M. DeMATTEIS

Art: FERNANDO BLANCO

Cover: GUILLEM MARCH

“The Crack in Creation,” part two. The Phantom Stranger and Madame Xanadu head to San Francisco to undo the latest crack in creation. There, they discover that the bookshop of blind psychic Cassandra Craft has been transformed into a living spell -- and the only way to stop that spell from rupturing reality might mean Cassandra’s death!

THE VAMPIRE DIARIES #5

Writer: BOBBIE CHASE, LEAH MOORE, JOHN REPPION

Art: DENNIS CALERO, GEORGE KAMBADAIS

Cover by DENNIS CALERO

40 pg, FC, $3.99 U.S. • DIGITAL FIRST

Stefan’s playmate from the turn of the 19th century has escaped captivity, and now she’s interested in only one thing: revenge! But Maude’s arrival in Mystic Falls in the fall of 2013 complicates the relationship between Elena and Katherine more than it already was. Then, an innocent game of hide and seek leads to a terrible discovery when Damon and Elena crash into a bricked-up room in the Salvatore family home.

THE WAKE #8

Written by SCOTT SNYDER

Art by SEAN MURPHY

Cover by ANDREW ROBINSON

32 pg, 8 of 10, FC, $2.99 U.S. • MATURE READERS

They say don’t go in the ocean. There are monsters out there. Terrible secrets in the deep. But Leeward isn’t scared of any of that, because the thing she’s running from on land is much, much worse…

I read the first trade of this one, and I'm still not sure what's going on with all the time jumping. (The story jumps around in time, not the characters.) I'll give the second trade a chance to pull it together, because I'm enjoying the Sean Murphy art.

WATCHMEN INTERNATIONAL EDITION (NEW ED TPB)

Written by ALAN MOORE

Art and cover by DAVE GIBBONS

448 pg, FC, $19.99 U.S.

Don’t miss this new edition of the WATCHMEN INTERNATIONAL EDITION! The story begins as a murder-mystery and quickly unfolds into a planet-altering conspiracy as these unlikely heroes -- Rorschach, Nite Owl, Silk Spectre, Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias -- must test the limits of their convictions and ask themselves where the true line is between good and evil. The original, epic story is collected here with a new cover, sketches, bonus material and an introduction by artist Dave Gibbons.

WATCHMEN (NEW EDITION TPB)

Written by ALAN MOORE

Art and cover by DAVE GIBBONS

448 pg, FC, $19.99 U.S.

Don’t miss this new edition of WATCHMEN! The story begins as a murder-mystery and quickly unfolds into a planet-altering conspiracy as these unlikely heroes – Rorschach, Nite Owl, Silk Spectre, Dr. Manhattan and Ozymandias – must test the limits of their convictions and ask themselves where the true line is between good and evil. The original, epic story is collected here with a new cover, sketches, bonus material and an introduction by artist Dave Gibbons.

I don't know many people who need another copy of Watchmen, but DC will always keep it in print to avoid the rights reverting to Moore and Gibbons. That will always temper my enthusiasm for the book just a tad.

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: DARK RIDERS (TPB)

Written by MIKE COSTA

Art by NEIL GOOGE

Cover by SAMWISE DIDIER and ALEX HORLEY

144 pg, FC, $16.99 U.S.

In this original WORLD OF WARCRAFT graphic novel, a stalwart mage searches for a powerful artifact, stolen by Dark Riders, only to find his son accused of murder. A righteous priest, driven by a mysterious fervor, investigates a savage Wolf Cult. As the paths of these two men cross, a fantastic adventure emerges! Supported by a cast of brave heroes, the two find out just how dangerous the wolf cult and dark riders are.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• DYNAMITE

THE BLACK BAT #10

1936312315?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936312465?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936312650?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801281988?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: BRIAN BUCCELLATO

Art: RONAN CLIQUET

Covers: JAE LEE

Subscription Variant Cover: BILLY TAN

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

The Black Bat is forced to deal with the idea of betrayal in his own inner circle. Also, the blowback from his prison break-in escalates as he is declared public enemy number one; and the war against him is brought right to his doorstep.

1936275026?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHAOS #1 (of 6)

1936312963?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936313359?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936316097?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936315747?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936316455?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936318568?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936320478?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936315747?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936320835?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936323289?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936325072?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936315747?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936325420?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: TIM SEELEY (Batman: Eternal)

Art: MIRKA ANDOLFO

Cover: J. SCOTT CAMPBELL

Variant Cover A: TIM SEELEY

Variant Cover B: EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

Subscription Variant: CARLOS RAFAEL

Blank Authentix Variant available

Retailer Shared Exclusive Variant: KEN HAESER

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

Dynamite proudly announces the return of Chaos! Comics, an expansive universe of fan-favorite horror characters including Evil Ernie, Purgatori, and Chastity. Superstar creator Tim Seeley (Hack/Slash, G.I. Joe) will write an epic six-issue event series re-introducing the entire cast, bolstered by the gorgeous and gruesome illustrations of artist Mirka Andolfo. The Chaos! Comics resurrection will revel in all the attitude, sex appeal, and pure unadulterated mayhem that longtime fans and fun-loving newcomers crave.

1936325653?profile=RESIZE_320x320"Evil Ernie came out when I was a teenager, when I was looking for something dangerous, scary and sexy to read, and I loved it," says Tim Seeley, referring to the original Chaos! Comics publishing era which took the industry by storm in the 1990s. "It was like punk music, late night horror movies, and a lingerie catalog rolled into one perfect creation. To say it had an effect on my work as a comics professional is a bit of an understatement!"

Evil Ernie, the undead serial killer. Chastity, the vampiric punk-rock assassin. Purgatori, the goddess of bloodsuckers. The Omen, a band of supernatural misfits. When each of these terrifying figures witnesses a vision of the world's impending doom, they rush headlong into conflict with one another. Some try desperately to avert the nuclear holocaust, out of altruism or self-interest, while others ... just want to raise some hell! It's the return of the Chaos! universe on a grand scale, the resurrection of fan-favorite boogeymen and femmes fatale amidst a violent, apocalyptic upheaval.

"The Chaos! universe gave rise to the kind of comics that would, depending on your age, make you hide them under your bed, tattoo the characters across your body, or paint them on the side of your van. Their characters inspired such intense reactions from readers. I want to be part of that. I want to really harness what made characters like Purgatori, Chastity, Evil Ernie and The Omen so unique and special both for existing fans ... and a whole new generation with room under their beds."

Tim Seeley is a prolific comic book writer and artist, having contributed to a wealth of name-brand creative properties including G.I.Joe, Forgotten Realms, New Exiles, Weapon X: First Class and G.I.Joe Vs. Transformers. He has developed his own comic-book series, including the wildly popular Hack/Slash horror series and the controversial, groundbreaking Loaded Bible. Recently, Seeley partnered with Dynamite on the wildly madcap Army of Darkness Vs. Hack/Slash comic book series, teaming his tough-as-nails heroine Cassie Hack with MGM's resident square-jawed champion, Ash Williams.

"Whenever you flipped the pages of an Evil Ernie, Cremator or Bad Kitty comic, it was like your own private All Hallows Eve party," says Nick Barrucci, CEO and Publisher of Dynamite Entertainment. "Skulls and gore, vicious attitudes and zombie hordes, buxom beauties and malevolent metalheads -- Chaos! Comics reveled in the rebel spirit of its hardcore audience. We launched an Evil Ernie miniseries last year to universal fan and critical acclaim, and we are proud to expand the Chaos! line to its full glory with Tim Seeley, a modern master of terror, at the helm. And I'm ecstatic to report, Mirka Andolfo's art blows us away with every new page she turns in. Watch out, Chaos! fans -- this will be a book to kill for!"

Wow, they're not going halfway with this, are they?

1936325708?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936325722?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936327541?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936329663?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936331803?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936333745?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936335809?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936335881?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936335968?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936315747?profile=RESIZE_180x180MISS FURY #10

MissFury010CovCalero.jpg?width=150MissFury010CovIncenBWSyaf.jpg?width=150MissFury010CovIncenBWTan.jpg?width=1501936315747?profile=RESIZE_180x180MissFury010CovIncenRafael.jpg?width=150MissFury010CovSyaf.jpg?width=150MissFury010CovTan.jpg?width=1501936315747?profile=RESIZE_180x180MissFury010CovWorley.jpg?width=150Writer: ROB WILLIAMS

Art: MARCIO ABREU

Cover: BILLY TAN COVER

Variant: ARDIAN SYAF

Variant: COLTON WORLEY

Variant: DENNIS CALERO

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

PHILADELPHIA 2 of 2. Miss Fury's search for the missing Captain Chandler continues, and US Naval Intelligence are willing to give her the top secret location of Schauburger's laboratory in Nazi Germany, but first she has to do something for them. A deal with the New York underworld to keep the docks safe from saboteurs and Axis agents has become a deal with the devil, as a new murderous costumed crazy has appeared calling himself The Mob. Miss Fury will have to return to her pulp roots in order to take down a super-villain who is all about respect ...

1936315747?profile=RESIZE_180x180RED SONJA #9

1936338177?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936338515?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936340808?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936239390?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936342919?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936344921?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: GAIL SIMONE

Art: WALTER GEOVANI

Cover: JENNY FRISON

Variant: STEPHANIE HANS

Subscription Variant: STEPHANIE BUSCEMA

Teen + / 32 pages / $3.99

The She-Devil continues her quest to find and capture the greatest artisans of the Hyborian Age, with hundreds of lives in the balance. In this saucy issue, she is on the trail of the land's greatest (and most dangerous) courtesan, in a world she has never before experienced! The epic run by Gail Simone and Walter Geovani continues!

That's another Jenny Frison cover at top left. It's not one of her better ones -- it's a strange camera angle -- but it's still pretty good. I like the pastel palette she favors, and her women look natural, which makes them sexier to me than the pneumatic look so popular today.

Also, I read the first Gail Simone trade -- I've been a busy little monkey boy -- and enjoyed it. In fact, I enjoyed it more than any Red Sonja story I've ever read, and most Conan stories, too! It's not Watchmen or anything, but it doesn't try to be. It's a good, solid story with great dialogue and characterization, and even slips in a new, intriguing origin for our titian-haired Hyrkanian in a painless fashion. I recommend it.

1936239390?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE LONE RANGER #24

1936345036?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ANDE PARKS

Artist: ESTEVE POLLS

Covers: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

Teen + / 32 pages / $3.99

The Lone Ranger and Tonto abandon their horses to pursue a murderous band of Old West robbers aboard a speeding train. The thieves are led by a villain the likes of which the West's most legendary heroes have never faced before ... a killer who seems unkillable himself. The Ranger and Tonto will chase the robbers through a train packed with innocents, trying desperately to avoid further bloodshed. All-out action and gunplay, set on an iron horse that speeds toward oblivion.

1936239390?profile=RESIZE_180x180TUROK: DINOSAUR HUNTER #4

1936345753?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936345945?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936346190?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936315747?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936346793?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936348606?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: GREG PAK

Art: MIRKO COLAK

Cover: BART SEARS

Subscription Variant: JAE LEE

Teen +/32 pages/$3.99

End of the first arc, by GREG PAK (Batman/Superman, Action Comics) and MIRKO COLAK (Conan)!

Turok's out of options. ... He's learned how to tame some of the thunder lizards, but his tribe is in shambles and the invading dinosaurs will soon overwhelm everything he holds dear. Will Turok break a promise to himself, and delve further into the forest for help?

1936315747?profile=RESIZE_180x180VAMPIRELLA: SOUTHERN GOTHIC (TPB)

VampiGothicV1TPCov152pgs.jpg?width=150Writer: NATE COSBY

Art: JOSE LUIS

Cover: JOHHNY DESJARDINS

Teen +/152 pages/$19.99

Vampirella, the beautiful and bloodthirsty heroine, travels to Mississippi to help an old flame solve the mystery of his murdered fiancee ... a woman who appears to have died thirty-seven times before. Burdened by a mystical wound that will not heal, can Vampi hack through racist demons, evade corrupt lawmen, and solve this strange Southern mystery ... or will the man she once loved sacrifice his soul to get the answers instead?

-- Issues one to five

-- Script to issue one by Nate Crosby

-- Complete cover gallery featuring the art of Johnny Desjardins and photo covers

"An enjoyable new look and a different setting!" -- Blood Disgusting

"Luis keeps the visuals interesting!" -- Newsarama

"Offers a worthwhile read on its own merits." -- Unleash the Fanboy

They don't grow corn in Mississippi, they grow soybeans. Wrong climate for corn.

• IDW PUBLICATIONS

AMELIA COLE AND THE HIDDEN WAR (TPB)

1936311729?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: ADAM P. KNAVE, D.J. KIRKBRIDE

Art/Cover: NICK BROKENSHIRE

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 120 pages

Magic do-gooder (or troublemaker, depending on who you ask) Amelia Cole is back, and this time, she’s The Protector! What is The Hidden War? Who is Omega Company? And is the Protector cloak as itchy as it looks? The mysterious “Unknown World” becomes increasingly dangerous as Adam P. Knave and D.J. Kirkbride write, and Nick Brokenshire illustrates on Amelia Cole and the Hidden War from IDW Publishing and Monkeybrain Comics!

“Amelia Cole and the Unknown World was one of the stand out titles of Monkeybrain’s launch and Hidden War continues that standard.” -- Bleeding Cool

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180BLACK DYNAMITE #2

STK620399.jpg?width=150Writer: BRIAN ASH

Art: JAMAL IGLE, SAL BUSCEMA

Cover: ERIC BATTLE

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

FROM BAD TO SUPER BAD. Exiled from the Community and on his own -- can the most not-to-be-trifled-with man of international ass-kicking survive Guantanamo Bay? You can bet your sweet ass he can! And if The Man is going to force him back into the game then it's time for BLACK DYNAMITE to show them how its played.

This title likes to do homage covers, but I don't recognize anything here. Is it maybe a visual reference to a blaxploitation movie poster?

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE CROW: PESTILENCE #3 (of 4)

1936313681?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: FRANK BILL

Art: DREW MOSS

Cover: JAMES O'BARR

Subscription Variant: JOHN LUCAS

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

As Salvador, led by The Crow, exacts his vengeance, the gang starts to push back…and Santa Muerte appears.

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180GABRIEL RODRIGUEZ' LOCKE & KEY: ARTIST'S EDITION PORTFOLIO

1936313870?profile=RESIZE_180x180Art/Cover: GABRIEL RODRIGUEZ

BW • $22.50 net price • 12 prints • 11” x 17”

From the people who bring you the Eisner Award-winning Artist's Edition series, comes the next Artist's Edition portfolio: 12 reproductions of covers and interior pages from the just-concluded Locke & Key by the series’ artist/co-creator, Gabriel Rodriguez! And, remember, this is a premium portfolio—like the Neal Adams Thrillkill and Bernie Wrightson Muck Monster portfolios before it—and matches the exacting quality of all previous Artist's Editions.

All pages scanned directly from the original art!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180G.I. JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO VOL 9 (TPB)

1936314088?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: LARRY HAMA

Art/Cover: S L GALLANT

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 132 pages

As the turmoil in Sierra Gordo deepens, G.I. JOE begins to unravel the true nature of the situation and COBRA's connection to it all, but the JOE team is spread thin leaving themselves exposed to an attack.

Collects issues #196–200.

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE ILLEGITIMATES #5 (of 6)

1936314243?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936316372?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: TARAN KILLAM, MARC ANDREYKO

Art/Cover: KEVIN SHARPE

Subscription Variant: JERRY ORDWAY

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

The battle heats up as the Illegitimates face off with Dannikor's forces on two fronts -- including outer space?! And, in the midst of battle, a TRAITOR is revealed and, trust us, your jaw will hit the floor!! Action, betrayal, death, and space battles as we careen towards the climax of the first, explosive arc!! What are you waiting for? Read this!!

1801215843?profile=RESIZE_180x180

IN THE DARK (HC)

STK632981.jpg?width=150Writers/Art: Various

Cover: Chris Wildgoose

The terror tome that has all the horror hounds frothing! Featuring top writers and artists from the comic-book industry, In The Darkcontains over 20 all-new, original horror stories that you'll want to read with the lights on.

In The Dark launched as a Kickstarter project put together by Anathema scribe Rachel Deering last year, and successfully doubled the intended target goal for the project. Assembled and edited by Deering, In The Dark dives into a myriad of sinister horror stories from writers including Justin Jordan, Cullen Bunn, Steve Niles, Duane Swierczynski, Tom Taylor, Tim Seeley, Brian Keene, F. Paul Wilson, Ed Brisson, Marguerite Bennett, Valerie D'Orazio, Paul Tobin, James Tynion IV and many more. Nate Powell, Tradd Moore,Damien Worm, Tyler Jenkins, Drew Moss and Andy Belanger are just a few of distinguished artists that will give each tale a unique and distinct style.

"This book is the 8-year-old Rachel's dream come true. I wanted to make something that, had I found it on the shelves as a kid, would have been my favorite book of all time," says Rachel Deering, In the Dark editor and project manager. "I wanted to give this generation a chance to feel that macabre magic that held me spellbound when I picked up my first horror anthology comic, and I can only hope it serves the scare the crap outta readers, young and old, for years to come."

Along with the terrifying original stories, this over 250-page hardcover will feature an introduction by New York Times bestselling author Scott Snyder and an in-depth look at the history of horror comics by comic book historian Mike Howlett.

"Rachel has assembled an amazing team for In the Dark," said Chris Ryall, IDW's Chief Creative Officer/Editor-in-Chief. "I know well how difficult it can be to put together an anthology at all, let alone one with solid creative teams from front to back, and that is exactly what Rachel has done here. The book's successful Kickstarter campaign speaks to peoples' interest in this project, and I'm excited that IDW can help bring the book to an even wider audience."

In The Dark is the latest anthology IDW is pleased to publish under its banner, joining Womanthology and the prose anthologies V-Wars and Zombies Vs. Robots: This Means War!

I talked about this last week, so evidently it got bumped after I'd already posted the Guide.

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180JINNRISE #10

1936318225?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: DAVID LISS

Art: ANDREW HUERTA

Cover: ELIZABETH TORQUE

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

In an effort to the defeat the alien Kibrani, Andrew and his ragtag team complete their quest to assemble an army of Jinn (Genies)! While legions of jinn prepare to face the full onslaught of the alien hoard, the key to victory may rest with the decision of a 10-year-old farm boy.

Siya Oum variant cover!1801216885?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE MAXX MAXXIMIZED #7

1936318555?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936320481?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: SAM KIETH, WILLIAM MESSNER-LOEBS

Art/Cover: SAM KIETH

Subscription Color Variant: SAM KIETH

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Guest starring Dale Keown's THE PITT!

While a doctor discovers a secret about an old Maxx acquaintance, Maxx and Julie take a trip to the Outback together where they discover, among other things—The Pitt! And while Maxx and Pitt defend themselves in the outback, they shift into miniature versions of themselves in Julie's apartment, fighting off a GIANT ISZ… who threatens to devour them!

Featuring an all-new cover by Sam Kieth!

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180MY LITTLE PONY VOL 4 (TPB)

1936322589?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: HEATHER NUHFER

Art:BRENDA HICKEY, AMY MEBBERSON

Cover: BRENDA HICKEY

TPB • FC • $17.99 • 104 pages

The ponies hit the high seas! A trip to Horseshoe Bay takes a turn for the dramatic when the gang is captured by Hoofbeard the Pirate! Plus, when a magical bookworm starts to cause some literary mischief, it’s only a matter of time before things start to get out of hoof!

Collects issues #13-16 of the hit ongoing series!

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE OTHER DEAD (HC)

1936324370?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: JOSHUA ORTEGA, DIGGER T. MESCH

Art: QING PING MUI

Cover: REYNIR HAUKSSON

HC • FC • $24.99 • 152 pages

The world’s first Zombie Animal epic is here! A deadly hurricane threatens New Orleans just as a frightening and mysterious outbreak hits the animal kingdom! Join all-star creators Joshua Ortega (Gears of War), Digger T. Mesch (Agent 88), and Kevin Eastman (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles) for the year's most critically acclaimed, talked-about new horror series! With art by rising star Qing Ping Mui!

“Definitely pick this book up for its cutthroat suspense and exciting action.” – AdventuresInPoorTaste.com

1936264140?profile=RESIZE_180x180POWERPUFF GIRLS #9

1936326510?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936328628?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer/Art/Cover: TROY LITTLE

Subscription Variant: MATT KAUFENBERG

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

The City of Townsville is under a NEW threat! Boy Band fever has struck the Powerpuff Girls, as the heartthrob crooners “3D” are playing a concert in the park! It looks like a magical night to remember, until the Rowdyruff Boys and the Boogieman crash the show! It’s an all out super powered battle of the bands for control of the airwaves! Which team will come out on top of this musical mash-up mayhem?

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROCKY & BULLWINKLE #3 (of 4)

1936330708?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MARK EVANIER

Art/Cover: ROGER LANGRIDGE

Subscription Variant: MATT KAUFENBERG

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

In “First Moose on the Moon,” The Pottsylvania Space Program, which was started in 1961, has finally managed to launch their first rocket…with Boris and Natasha inside! What are they building on the moon?! And Dudley’s up against Snidley’s new scheme: The Snidely Shopping Network, a TV channel that sells worthless junk. Why can’t Dudley turn it off?

A comedy classic from Eisner-winners Mark Evanier and Roger Langridge!

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180SINISTER DEXTER #6 (of 7)

1936332550?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936334740?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: DAN ABNETT

Art: ANDY CLARKE

Cover:ANTONIO FUSO

Subscription Variant: Third of four interlocking covers by DAVID MILGATE

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

There’s a new Gun Shark in Downlode but is he competition for Sinister and Dexter, a possible compatriot, or just another in a long line of souls for Death to shepherd across the River Styx?

Plus, a glimpse into the life of a bullet.

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180TALES OF THE TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES VOL 4

1936336932?profile=RESIZE_180x180Jim Lawson, Steve Murphy, Dean Clarrain, Eric Talbot, Dan Berger, Peter Laird (w)

Jim Lawson, Chris Allan, Dan Berger (a)

Jim Lawson (c)

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 140 pages

This volume collects the stories "Blind Faith," "Scars," "Darkness Weaves," and "Virus" as well as back-up stories and pinups by classic Turtles writers and artists Jim Lawson, Dean Clarrain, Chris Allan, Eric Talbot, Steve Murphy, Dan Berger, andPeter Laird.

• Collects issues #5–8 of Tales of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Volume Two.

1936264140?profile=RESIZE_180x180TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES COLOR CLASSICS VOL 2 #7

1936338904?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: KEVIN EASTMAN, PETER LAIRD, STEVE LAVIGNE

Art: JIM LAWSON, PETER LAIRD

Cover: KEVIN EASTMAN, PETER LAIRD, STEAVE LAVIGNE

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

A Mirage black-and-white classic presented in all-new full color! “Return to New York, Book Three” -- it's a battle royale between the TMNT, the Foot Elite Guard, and the deadly Shredder clones! Not everyone will survive this bloody brawl! Who will? Find it all here -- and more! -- in this grand finale to a classic TMNT tale!

TMNT #21 (Mirage, Vol. 1), now in full color!

1936290304?profile=RESIZE_180x180TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES: NEW ANIMATED ADVENTURES VOL 2 (TPB)

1936341138?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: KENNY BYERLY, CULLEN BUNN, BRIAN SMITH

Art: ADAM ARCHER, DARIO BRIZUELA, CHAD THOMAS

Cover: FELIPE SMITH

TPB • FC • $17.99 • 104 pages

Spinning straight out of the hit Nickelodeon show, Volume 2 collects four more fantastic tales. The Turtles battle Fishface, the Shellraiser goes haywire, Dogpound ruins a movie night for everyone, and Monkey Brains squares off against Rat King!

Collects issues #5-8!

• IMAGE COMICS

'68: RULE OF WAR #2 (of 4)

1936304091?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936306180?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: MARK KIDWELL

Art / Cover B: JEFF ZORNOW & JAY FOTOS

Cover A: NAT JONES & JAY FOTOS

MAY 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / $3.99

In the blood-soaked jungles of Cambodia, CIA Agent Declan Rule follows his son’s murderer straight into a living hell populated by the hard-wired and weaponized dead. In the skies over Vietnam a plane filled with desperate survivors sputters and coughs, burning its last drops of fuel. And deep in the Southeast Asian rainforest, a human monster hides his face behind a mask of atrocity to raise an army of the damned.1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936308408?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936308479?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936310658?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936310775?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936312867?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936314795?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180ALEX + ADA #6

1936316870?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: JONATHAN LUNA & SARAH VAUGHN

Art / Cover: JONATHAN LUNA

MAY 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

Ada now sees the world through different eyes, but life has become more complicated for her and Alex.

From these previews, it seems like my "Pinocchio" prediction is bearing fruit. Maybe the execution is such that I'd like it anyway -- I certainly like the art.

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936318793?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936320795?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936322779?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936322842?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180APHRODITE IX #10

1936323110?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936325054?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936326823?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936326979?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MATT HAWKINS

Art: STJEPAN SEJIC

Cover A: STJEPAN SEJIC

Cover B: LINDA SEJIC

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

CONCLUSION TO THE SECOND ARC OF THE ONGOING SERIES!

Aphrodite IX finally gets some vengeance. Heads will roll.

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936328941?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936329066?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936329153?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936331098?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936331135?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936331313?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801241562?profile=RESIZE_180x180APOCALYPSE AL #4 (of 4)

1936333242?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

Art/Cover A: SID KOTIAN & BILL FARMER

Cover B: ARIEL OLIVETTI

APRIL 30 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

In the fiery conclusion to Allison Carter's investigation, she at last comes face-to-face with the man trying to bring about the end of the world ... who has been working in secret with someone close to her the whole time. If love can be a reason to live, can it also be a reason to destroy ... everything? This time saving the world may require the ultimate sacrifice. Does Al have what it takes? Or must we all confront the possibility that there is an ominous reason that this is only a four-part series?

1801241562?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936335265?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936335489?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936337630?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936337598?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936339878?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936342021?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936206160?profile=RESIZE_180x180BURN THE ORPHANAGE: REIGN OF TERROR #1 (of 5)

1936344123?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936346070?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936206160?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936346861?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: DANIEL FREEDMAN & SINA GRACE

Art: SINA GRACE

Cover A: SINA GRACE & SHAUN STEVEN STRUBLE

Cover B: ANDY BELANGER

MAY 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

Daniel Freedman (Undying Love) and Sina Grace (THE LI'L DEPRESSED BOY, NOT MY BAG) are at it again! The original blow-up hit miniseries about revenge and action is now an all-new monthly Image Comics series called BURN THE ORPHANAGE: REIGN OF TERROR..

Rock finally returns home, only to find his city under siege. And you won’t believe who is the cause of all the chaos.

“We tested our fans with the oversized and sprawling chapters in Born to Lose, so Reign of Terror should feel like an unlocked level of absolute fun,” said Grace. “The gang is back together and we are glad to have them on their home turf, working with and against some familiar faces.”

REIGN OF TERROR moves readers into the the next phase of BURN THE ORPHANAGE. While Rock and his team of street fighters have gone on a lot of adventures together, they've never faced such overwhelming odds. “Friendships and allegiances will be tested as our heroes are put through a gauntlet of new and old foes, betrayal and oversized robot mayhem,” said Freedman. "Reign of Terror is exciting because it's the first in a series of longer form story arcs we have ready to tell. BURN THE ORPHANAGE is only just getting started."1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936348440?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936350497?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936352447?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936352610?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936354768?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936356784?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180BURN THE ORPHANAGE, VOL. 1: BORN TO LOSE (TPB)

STK639849.jpg?width=150Story: DANIEL FREEDMAN & SINA GRACE

Art / Cover: SINA GRACE

MAY 7 / 128 PAGES / FC / M / $12.99

Collects BURN THE ORPHANAGE: BORN TO LOSE #1-3

Collecting the critically acclaimed trilogy that kicks off a love letter to the games of yesteryear, BORN TO LOSE chronicles orphan Rock's journey as he fights his way through the mean streets for revenge. This collected edition includes pages of never-before-seen art and loads of extras!

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180CLONE #16

1936358903?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: DAVID SCHULNER, AARON GINSBURG, & WADE MCINTYRE

Art / Cover: JUAN JOSE RYP & ANDY TROY

MAY 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

Luke Taylor’s mission to uncover the truth behind the Clone program has only lead to the death of his friends. Who will be the next to die in his name?

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936360923?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936362776?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936364897?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936365161?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936367586?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936367669?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• 1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180CYBER FORCE #9

1936314656?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: MARC SILVESTRI

Art: MARCO TURINI & STJEPAN SEJIC

Cover: MARC SILVESTRI

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

RIPCLAW UNTAMED!

Ripclaw had a wife, a son and his anonymity before Velocity stumbled into his life with a trigger-happy convoy of S.H.O.C.s on her tail. Now it’s time for payback.

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936314708?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936316716?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936318863?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936320861?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936322840?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936322934?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180FATALE #22

1936323016?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: ED BRUBAKER

Art/Cover: SEAN PHILLIPS

FEBRUARY 19 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

The life story of the man-monster called The Bishop.

As always, every issue of FATALE includes extras and articles every month!

Only two issues left. (Sob!)1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936323132?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936323169?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936323304?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936325208?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936327042?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936329045?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801238541?profile=RESIZE_180x180I KILL GIANTS FIFTH ANNIVERSARY EDITION (TPB)

IKillGiants-TP-d0c31.jpg?width=150Story: JOE KELLY

Art / Cover A: J.M. KEN NIIMURA

MAY 7 / 232 PAGES / BW / T / $19.99

Collects I KILL GIANTS #1-7

Celebrating the fifth anniversary of a modern classic, this edition of the Eisner-nominated, International Manga Award-winning miniseries includes interviews with the creators, design art, covers and more.

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE VOL 2 (TPB)

InvincibleUniverse-V2-91234.jpg?width=150Story: PHIL HESTER

Art / Cover: TODD NAUCK & GABE ELTAEB

MAY 7 / 144 PAGES / FC / T+ / $12.99

Collects INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE #7-12

The greatest heroes of the Invincible Universe take on their greatest threats: Red Eye, the Lizard League and ... marriage?!

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180MADAME FRANKENSTEIN #1 (of 7)

1936331033?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936333044?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: JAMIE S. RICH

Art: MEGAN LEVENS

Cover A: JOELLE JONES & NICK FILARDI

Cover B: CHRISTOPHER MITTEN

MAY 7 / 32 PAGES / BW / T+ / $2.99

Sure to send a shiver down any reader’s spine, Image Comics’ new series MADAME FRANKENSTEIN is an all-new vintage-style horror drama series from Jamie S. Rich (You Have Killed Me) and newcomer Megan Levens. In 1932, Vincent Krall sets out to create his perfect woman by reanimating the corpse of his recently deceased lover. But he soon begins to realize that perhaps man was not meant to peer beyond the veil between life and death.

“I have always been fascinated by the Frankenstein legend and the deeper mythological meanings in Shelley's original novel, so when Megan came to me with her concept for a My Fair Lady-style appropriation of the concept, it took me all of two seconds to say yes,” said Rich. “There seemed to be so much potential there, both in terms of exploring the thematic depths of the story and playing around with the look and feel of classic horror. The downfall of Victor Frankenstein was that he played God and tried to build his own version of man. His hubris was in thinking too highly of his own capacity for creation. Our mad doctor's bigger mistake is underestimating the power of women.”

The time period and setting also helped to inspire the artwork in MADAME FRANKENSTEIN. “I've always been strongly drawn to the moody, old-Hollywood glamour of the classic Universal monster films, and I felt that aesthetic would be a perfect match for the elements of horror and romance in this story,” said Levens. “The period of the early 1930s gave me so much to work with visually, as the architecture, costumes, and even minute details like glassware and wallpaper helped ground the fantastic elements of the story in a reality that still feels a bit removed from the world of the reader. But the aspect of those films that appealed most to me was that they derived their sense of horror from the emotions of the characters. Even the monsters were shown feeling fear, love, and loneliness … and a monster you can empathize with is perhaps the most terrifying of all."

A dark exploration of one man’s manic obsession to build the perfect woman, MADAME FRANKENSTEIN is a terrifying retelling that would do Shelley proud.1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936335045?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936337251?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936339389?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936341428?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936343744?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936345432?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180NAILBITER #1

1936347387?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936347334?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936349241?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936349414?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936349503?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936351334?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art / Cover: MIKE HENDERSON

MAY 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

What if someone from your home town turned out to be a serial killer? What if 16 people did?

Joshua Williamson (GHOSTED, MASKS AND MOBSTERS, Captain Midnight) and artist Mike Henderson (MASKS AND MOBSTERS, Venom, TMNT) will be keeping readers up late at night with a new ongoing serial killer mystery from Image Comics.

Since 1969, Buckaroo, Oregon has been the birthplace for 16 serial killers and FBI criminal profiler Charles Kohl makes it his personal mission to understand why. But just as Kohl begins to peel back the truth behind why this small Pacific Northwestern town seems to breed some of the vilest murderers America has ever seen, he goes missing. Now the mystery falls to Kohl’s friend and NSA agent Nicholas Finch who must race put together the pieces of the puzzle his friend left behind, and do so before the body count gets any higher.

Williamson brings a unique and eerie perspective to the sub-genre of horror that explores serial killers. “Many years ago when I was an art director I was talking to one of my co-workers when she told me that she had broken up with her boyfriend. In the past she had said things were going really well so I was surprised by the news. She explained to me that her ex-boyfriend’s uncle had been arrested for killing five women. He was a serial killer. I asked 'But your ex didn’t know, right? He wasn’t a part of it, so why dump him?' She explained to me, 'I just can’t be with someone who is that close to something so evil,'" said Williamson. “That always stuck with me. We talk a lot about the families of the victims but never the families of the serial killers. The world they left behind. The family that has to find out that someone they loved was killing people. The harsh truth is that it destroys those families. And I always wanted to explore that.”

Williamson delved deep into research about serial killers, both real and fictional, pulling inspiration from the Zodiac killer, Jeffrey Dahmer, and the characters in films like Se7en, Silence of the Lambs and Psycho. “We talk a lot of the families of the victims, but what about the families of the killers? That’s what Nailbiter is about,” explained Williamson. “The people who have to deal with finding out someone they love is a murderer. Like how Twin Peaks shines a spotlight on a small town after Laura Palmer’s death, Nailbiter does the same but shows a small town after finding out a bunch of horrible killers are from there.”

“Josh and I had been working on Masks & Mobsters together for over a year when he pitched the idea of Nailbiter to me and it was an easy sell,” said Henderson. “We both wanted to create something new and expansive and I was drawn in by the eccentric cast of characters, which took on a new life when I started designing them.”

The process for bringing NAILBITER to life is an ongoing collaborative correspondence. “With each issue Mike and I text and chat about the plot, the pacing, the horror beats, and really try to get the most out of every page,” Williamson revealed. “But at the same time, once we get past the layout stage, Mike cuts loose, and brings the energy and excitement the book needs.”

To read more of Williamson’s interview on NAILBITER, visit: www.imagecomics.com.

"If Josh died I wish he'd leave NAILBITER to me in his will so I could say it was my idea." -- Scott Snyder (SEVERED, Batman, American Vampire)

The covers alone are creeping me out!1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936351464?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936353548?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936355699?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936357735?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936357873?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936358009?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936359839?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936360229?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936360502?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936360854?profile=RESIZE_180x180RAT QUEENS #6

1936360907?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936361111?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: KURTIS J. WIEBE

Art / Cover A: ROC UPCHURCH

MAY 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

“THE FAR REACHING TENTACLES OF N’RYGOTH,” Part One

A brand new booze-soaked arc of Rat Queens reveals a growing menace within the very walls of Palisade. And while Dee may have run from her past, the bloated, blood-feasting sky god N’rygoth never really lets his children stray too far.

FIRST ISSUE OF A NEW STORY ARC! PERFECT JUMP-ON POINT!

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936361303?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936363012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936363113?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936365372?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936367163?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936369387?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• 1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180REAL HEROES #2

1936312589?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936314756?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936316851?profile=RESIZE_180x180STORY / ART / COVER A: BRYAN HITCH

COVER B: KEVIN NOWLAN

COVER C: JOCK

APRIL 30 / 32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.99

The cast of The Olympians superhero movie franchise has been asked to save the world. It can't end well.

I'm guessing I don't need to mention that the second cover is a Watchmen homage. That's cute. But I don't know if the book is any good yet.

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936317051?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936319109?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936320922?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936323054?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936324893?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936326906?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936206160?profile=RESIZE_180x180REVENGE #3 (of 4)

1936328820?profile=RESIZE_180x180STORY: JONATHAN ROSS

ART / COVER: IAN CHURCHILL

With Ignatio the surgically enhanced dwarf as an unexpected ally and a new face stolen from a dead dog, Griffin Franks’ luck is finally looking up! But he still has to fight his way past a gang of corrupt killer cops and get back to Hollywood if he is going to get what he wants most in the world: REVENGE!

1936206160?profile=RESIZE_180x180REVIVAL #20

1936330903?profile=RESIZE_180x180STORY: TIM SEELEY

ART: MIKE NORTON

COVER: JENNY FRISON

Dana sends Ibrahaim after an elusive prey. Em makes a new friend who shares her passion for pain and guilt.

I kinda forgot to get the third trade in this series. My enthusiasm has obviously cooled.

1936332878?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936334769?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936336943?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936338888?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936341065?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936343581?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936206160?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936345384?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024SATELLITE SAM #8

1936347578?profile=RESIZE_180x180STORY: MATT FRACTION

ART / COVER: HOWARD CHAYKIN

APRIL 2 / 32 PAGES / BW / M / $3.50

SEX! DEATH! LIVE TV!

Michael and Kara make a major breakthrough in their unofficial investigation into the death of the man that played "Satellite Sam" as everyone’s kinks and obsessions go into overdrive -- and scandal threatens to tear the show and the network apart.

The dark and raunchy SATELLITE SAM turns up the heat with retailers by offering a scandalous new incentive comic stores won’t be able to resist. Retailers who order ten or more copies of SATELLITE SAM #8 will be able to indulge in the SATELLITE SAM TIJUANA BIBLE -- free!

In the spirit of Great Depression-era Tijuana Bibles, SATELLITE SAM indulges in the explicit and the definitively adults-only content in the format of those classic and illegal bootleg comics -- at the same time the cast of SATELLITE SAM #8 receive it themselves.

When asked to comment on the TIJUANA BIBLE, Chaykin said evasively: “Actually, as I recall this was Matt's idea -- I just got innocently sucked into a maelstrom of filth.”

Fraction however, had a different take: “I have long dreamed of producing a piece of filth with Howard Victor Chaykin, my number-one international pornographer of choice,” he began. “That we had a place in Satellite Sam where a classic Tijuana Bible could appear in both story and the real world as a special (‘special’) thank you to retailers and readers that are on this dark little journey with us was the cherry on top.”

“A perfect combination of (sort of) youthful integrity and (young) elder opportunism,” quipped Chaykin.

SATELLITE SAM #8, featuring the TIJUANA BIBLE as a story point, arrives in stores on 5/7, and will be available for $3.50. It can be pre-ordered with Diamond Code FEB140626. Retailers who order 10 or more copies of SATELLITE SAM #8 will receive 10 copies of the SATELLITE SAM TIJUANA BIBLE for free.

When Satellite Sam #7 came out, I asked the Legion if the covers in this series -- which usually depict a couple of lingerie-clad women in compromising situations -- reflected story content, or if it was just Howard Chaykin being Howard Chaykin. Since then I've read Satellite Sam Volume 1, and got the answer to my question: It's just Chaykin scratching his lesbian fantasy itch.

Wow. That didn't come out well, did it?

Anyway, I have found the execution of the story top-notch, full of interesting characters, but I'm not sure I really care about the underlying story. IOW, I like the parts of Satellite Sam, but not necessarily the whole. I'll give it one more trade to hook me.

1936347639?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936349546?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936351538?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936351704?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936351646?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936353770?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936206160?profile=RESIZE_180x180SPAWN #243

Spawn-243-fd570.jpg?width=150Story / Cover: TODD MCFARLANE

Art: SZYMON KUDRANSKI

MAY 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

Sara is in great danger after mysteriously disappearing, and Jim frantically searches for the person responsible. Not knowing where to point the finger and with time running out, Jim seeks out the one individual who may have answers ... but it may be too late.

1936308012?profile=RESIZE_180x180TODD, THE UGLIEST KID ON EARTH VOL 2 (TPB)

Todd-V2-bfe21.jpg?width=150Story: KEN KRISTENSEN

Art / Cover: M.K. PERKER

MAY 7 / 104 PAGES / FC / T+ / $12.99

Collects TODD, THE UGLIEST KID ON EARTH #5-8

The politically incorrect comedy that Ain’t It Cool says “clubs the baby seal of life.” Its second hilarious story arc is now in trade paperback format!

After uncovering a satanic cult run by Charlie Rose at PBS, Peggy gets kidnapped, Gus goes on the lam, and Todd warms up to the wrong people ... in Hell.

Debuting in 2013, TODD, THE UGLIEST KID ON EARTH introduced the world to a happy-go-lucky kid who remains cheerful in a world designed to crush his spirit. In the first volume of this dark humor hit by Eisner Award-nominated artist MK Perker (Air, The Unwritten) and writer Ken Kristensen (The Amazing Adventures of The Escapist, Indestructible), Todd took on an axe-murderer. In volume two, due out in May, Todd confronts something even darker: the unholy intersection of comic book conventions, public television and paranormal investigation -- a conspiracy that literally goes as deep as the dark abyss of Hell.

"The survival of PBS in American culture has always been difficult to explain," said writer Kristensen. "A television network with high artistic standards, educational programming and a ratings juggernaut in Downton Abbey? Clearly they've made a deal with the devil -- and Todd, the Ugliest Kid on Earth will unearth the ugly truth."

TODD, THE UGLIEST KID ON EARTH VOLUME 2 features an introduction by news talk titan Larry King (yes, that Larry King!). It will be in comic book stores on May 7 and bookstores on May 20.

"Todd is a classic dark comedy and is a must read for anyone looking for one of the most off-beat comics ever." -- Jimmie Gillespie, The Outhousers

"A cautionary tale of the human spirit triumphing over a stacked deck of inborn adversity. I laughed and laughed hard at almost every other page. I don’t mean those conciliatory titters we give writers when they try to make a joke, I mean outright belly-aching guffaws." -- Rob Patey, Ain't it Cool News

"M.K. Perker’s art is simply outstanding. He blends caricatures with a highly detailed cartoon sensibility. The mixture of styles makes the absurdity and off-the-wall dark humor jump off the page. Perker can handle anything you throw at him and Kristensen can’t throw enough. The fun these guys are having is palpable and they leave it all on the page. 5/5 stars " -- Russell, Johnson, Unleash the Fanboy

"Perker is one of the most consistently brilliant artists out there. He has a skill for pulling off dark and macabre things with a sense of whimsy. He perfectly balances the story’s gags with the more detailed character work and dramatic moments. 4.5/5 stars" -- Cody Farrell, Comic Book Therapy

• MARVEL COMICS

AGE OF ULTRON (TPB)

1936309624?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Penciled by BRYAN HITCH, CARLOS PACHECO, BRANDON PETERSON, BUTCH GUICE, ALEX MALEEV, DAVID MARQUEZ & JOE QUESADA

Cover by BRYAN HITCH

280 PGS./Rated T+/$34.99

Humanity’s time is over. Submit or perish, because the Age of Ultron has arrived! The artificial intelligence known as Ultron has fought for years to eradicate mankind — and now, it has all but succeeded. The few remaining heroes are battered, broken, almost beaten and left considering desperate measures — some more desperate than others. But when Wolverine breaks ranks and pursues his own plan to defeat Ultron, will his drastic action cause more problems than it solves? Brian Michael Bendis presents the ultimate triumph of the Avengers’ greatest villain in an epic that will shake worlds! Collecting AVENGERS (2010) #12.1 and AGE OF ULTRON #1-10.

1936255664?profile=RESIZE_180x180ALL-NEW GHOST RIDER #1 (2ND PTG)    

1936312374?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by FELIPE SMITH           

Art & Cover by TRADD MOORE

“This first issue delivers one hell of a hook …”  -- The Onion A.V. Club

I've never been a big Ghost Rider fan, but this series seems really interesting. For one thing, they avoided the mistake they made the last time they came up with a new host for the Rider, when they offered suburban white kid Danny Ketch. I have nothing against suburban white kids -- I was one -- but they're not particularly compelling. This new host reflects a life and an environment I know next to nothing about, which automatically sharpens my interest.

Anyway, I'm dangerously close to ordering this in trade. Anyone want to give me a push?

1936298598?profile=RESIZE_180x180ALL-NEW X-FACTOR #7

1936314457?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: PETER DAVID

Art: CARMINE DI GIANDOMENICO

Cover: KRIS ANKA, JARED FLETCHER

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

• One of the country’s most outspoken anti-mutant leaders … has a mutant daughter?

• It’s up to X-Factor to rescue this young girl from her father!

• Serval Industries brings you the heroes you need in any situation!

I feel badly that there is a Peter David series in this world that I am not reading. But I don't feel badly enough to buy anything with that sketchy art.

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1.1

1936316392?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936318602?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: DAN SLOTT

Art: RAMON PEREZ

COVER: ALEX ROSS

Sketch Variant: ALEX ROSS

Variant: JOHN ROMITA JR.

32 PGS./Rated T/$3.99

YEAR ONE: LEARNING TO CRAWL!

Following the debut of the highly anticipated return of Peter Parker in Amazing Spider-Man #1, experience his early days as Spider-Man like you’ve never seen before in "Learning to Crawl," a new 5-issue series beginning in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1.1! New York Times bestselling writer Dan Slott (Superior Spider-Man, Silver Surfer) and Eisner Award-Winning Artist Ramón Pérez (Wolverine and the X-Men, Tale of Sand) craft an all-new spin on the earliest days of the webbed wonder that have bitter consequences to this very day!

From that fateful night he lost his Uncle Ben, a new life began. But there is more to the story of how Peter Parker became the Amazing Spider-Man.  

“We all love a good ‘Year One’ story,” says Senior Editor Nick Lowe. “But this is so much MORE! Not only does this address Spider-Man’s past, but it sets up a new villain that will be a huge part of Dan Slott’s AMAZING SPIDER-MAN plans moving forward.”

We all know how Peter Parker learned responsibility, but this series tells the story of how Spider-Man became the superhero we all know and love!  Set within the first 60 days of his webslinging career, "Learning to Crawl" is an all-new tale set parallel to the character’s first appearance in 1962’s Amazing Fantasy #15 and 1963’s Amazing Spider-Man #1-3 that will blaze new trails for upcoming Amazing Spider-Man story arcs in Dan Slott’s new series!

“It’s one thing to know that with great power comes great responsibility, but what do you do with it?” says series writer Dan Slott, in an interview with Marvel.com.

Fans eagerly awaiting "Learning to Crawl" can get their first taste early with a special 8-page lead-in story from Slott & Pérez in the back of the highly anticipated Amazing Spider-Man #1 later this month!

Now is your chance to experience the story you never knew about the story you know by heart! How did Peter Parker rise to the occasion to become the greatest hero the world has ever seen? And who is the mysterious new villain Clash? All will be answered when the exciting AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1.1 the first chapter of "Learning to Crawl" swings into comic shops!

I feel I can't comment on anything Spider-related until I read the trade with the final issues of Superior Spider-Man. And I can't wait!

1936319147?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936321118?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936321505?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180ANNIHILATION OMNIBUS (HC)

1936321620?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by KEITH GIFFEN, DAN ABNETT, ANDY LANNING, JAVIER GRILLO-MARXUACH, SIMON FURMAN, CHRISTOS GAGE & STUART MOORE

Penciled by MITCH BREITWEISER, SCOTT KOLINS, ARIEL OLIVETTI, KEV WALKER, RENATO ARLEM, GREG TITUS, JORGE LUCAS, ANDREA DI VITO, GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI & MIKE MCKONE

Cover by GABRIELE DELL’OTTO

880 PGS./Rated T+/$125

Trim size: oversized

Marvel’s cosmic superstars return in explosive, widescreen sci-fi style! Annihilus, lord of the Negative Zone, has declared war! And as his unstoppable Annihilation Wave swarms into the Marvel Universe, demolishing all in its path, only a handful of heroes can resist the destruction! Nova learns the ways of war from Drax the Destroyer; the Silver Surfer seeks out his former master, Galactus, for aid; the Super-Skrull fights for his son’s life; and Ronan the Accuser faces Gamora and her woman warriors! Nova and Quasar’s army leads the charge — but as heroes fall and Annihilus rises, the universe’s one remaining hope may be Thanos, the Mad Titan! Collecting DRAX THE DESTROYER #1-4, ANNIHILATION: PROLOGUE, ANNIHILATION: NOVA #1-4, ANNIHILATION: SILVER SURFER #1-4, ANNIHILATION: SUPER-SKRULL #1-4, ANNIHILATION: RONAN #1-4, ANNIHILATION #1-6, ANNIHILATION: HERALDS OF GALACTUS #1-2 and ANNIHILATION: NOVA CORPS FILES.

1936309898?profile=RESIZE_180x180BLACK WIDOW #6

1936323529?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: NATHAN EDMONDSON 

Art/Cover: PHIL NOTO

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

• The entity behind the attacks sits alone and mysterious on the dark water -- can Natasha infiltrate the floating lair?

• Black Widow’s strength and cunning will be put to the test as she follows the trail of blood and destruction to the beginning…

• This is a mission too dangerous even for S.H.I.E.L.D.

• Read the thrilling conclusion of the first arc of the book that critics are calling “an example of just how good a comic book can be.” -- Bag&Bored

Eagerly awaiting this trade as well.

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180CASTLE: UNHOLY STORM PREMIERE (HC)

1936325615?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Art: ROBERT ATKINS

CoverL CARLO PAGULAYAN, SCOTT HANNA, PAUL MOUNTS

112 PGS./13 & Up/$24.99

Marvel Entertainment and ABC Studios are proud to announce CASTLE: UNHOLY STORM, an all-new graphic novel inspired by the popular Castle television series.

Derrick Storm is back and he has a new, deadly case to solve. When the daughters of four high-powered international businessmen are discovered dead in New York, the NYPD scrambles to bring the murderer to justice. But when a fifth girl is found mutilated in a pool of her own blood, her prestigious French family hires Derrick Storm to run his own investigation and find the real killer. Storm has only one lead -- a strange symbol drawn in blood. Storm enlists the help of the beautiful and daring Clara Strike, his CIA handler. Together they uncover a deep web of deception under the guise of mysticism and devotion. And in a race against time, this most unlikely pair unlock a mystery capable of creating global catastrophe!

CASTLE: UNHOLY STORM brings together a star-studded cast of the best creators in the industry, including writer Cullen Bunn (Fearless Defenders, Venom), interior artists Robert Atkins (Amazing Spider-Man) and Will Sliney (Fearless Defenders) along with cover artist Carlo Pagulayan (Iron Man, Hulk).

“We are incredibly excited to, once again, be partnering with marvel to bring Richard Castle’s early literary works to life,” said Andrew W. Marlowe, “Castle” Creator/Executive Producer. “It’s a great way to expand the Castle universe for all our fans.”

The release of CASTLE: UNHOLY STORM marks the fourth adaptation of the Derrick Storm novels by New York Times best-selling author Richard Castle.

“We are, once again, excited to bring the Derrick Storm’s novels to life” said Axel Alonso, Marvel Entertainment Editor in Chief. “Whether you’re new to the world of Castle or a longtime fan, there’s something for everyone in CASTLE: UNHOLY STORM -- and it’s the kind of book that reaffirms Marvel’s commitment to creating new fans of comic books.”

Castle stars Nathan Fillion as Richard Castle, Stana Katic as NYPD Detective Kate Beckett, Tamala Jones as Medical Examiner Lanie Parish, Jon Huertas as NYPD Detective Javier Esposito, Seamus Dever as NYPD Detective Kevin Ryan, Penny Johnson Jerald as NYPD Captain Victoria Gates, Molly Quinn as Alexis Castle with Susan Sullivan as Martha Rodgers.

Castle is produced by ABC Studios. Andrew Marlowe is the show’s creator/executive producer, along with executive producers Rob Bowman, David Amann, David Grae, and Armyan Bernstein.

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180CYCLOPS #1

1936327469?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936329441?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936331522?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: GREG RUCKA

Art: RUSSELL DAUTERMAN

Cover: ALEXANDER LOZANO

Artist Variant: GREG LAND

Young Variant: SKOTTIE YOUNG

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

What would you do if you were suddenly thrust into the future? See your older self. Learn the path you’ve taken. The mistakes you’ve made. Now, imagine that the father you thought died long ago is alive and well – and is a space pirate! This May, experience the ongoing adventures of young Scott Summers in CYCLOPS #1 – the all-new series from Eisner Award winning writer Greg Rucka and artist Russel Dauterman!

Spinning directly out of the blockbuster All-New X-Men crossover “The Trial of Jean Grey” comes the very first ongoing solo series for one of the time-travelling Original X-Men. After clashing with the Shi’ar on the edge of deep space, Scott Summers is about to encounter the last person he’d ever expect to meet – his father!

Long thought dead, Corsair, leader of that intergalactic band of misfits the Starjammers, has returned! And he’s got a new recruit in the form of his son, young Cyclops himself! Scott Summers is leaving the X-Men behind to stay in space amd learn a few valuable lessons from dad: 1) How to shave, 2) How to talk to women, 3) How to steal a Badoon spaceship.

“I’m beyond excited for readers to see how Greg and Russell are collaborating with this book,” says Editor Jeanine Schaefer. “Greg is absolutely on fire, hitting every beat you would ever want from a space opera meets intergalactic road trip; and a star is born with Russell’s work here -- when he’s huge people are going to be coming back to this series again and again.”

“This book is everything Marvel is about – high stakes, intergalactic action, adventure and intrigue with the emotional core of a father and son who have to repair their relationship,” says Editor Tom Brennan. “Corsair and Cyclops are both in a bold new world -- a man back from the dead and a teen out of time. They need each other now, and the universe needs them more than ever.”

1936333525?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936333716?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936333782?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180DAREDEVIL #1 (2ND PTG)

STK644776.jpg?width=150Writer: MARK WAID

Art: Various

Cover: CHRIS SAMNEE

Because you demanded it! Join Marvel's fearless hero as he begins his most awe-inspiring adventure yet in the sunny city of San Francisco! Gifted with an imperceptible radar sense and a passion for justice, blind lawyer Matt Murdock -- a.k.a. Daredevil -- protects the Golden City's streets from all manner of evil. But big changes are in store for Matt Murdock as old haunts and familiar faces rise to give the devil his due. Hold on tight, because here comes Daredevil ... the Man Without Fear!

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEADPOOL VS. CARNAGE #3 (of 4)

1936333901?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Art: SALVADOR ESPIN

Cover: GLENN FABRY

32 PGS./Parental Advisory/$3.99

• In this issue: Carnage kills people!

• Deadpool goes to pieces -- literally!

• Blood drips from every page!

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180FIRE (HC)

1936336110?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer/Art/Cover: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

120 PGS./Mature/$19.99

Imagine that you are a shy, quiet college student. Just an average guy trying to get through each day as best he can. Then your government contacts you. They want you to be part of an experiment in the art of human covert operations. Instead of creating an agent from someone within their own ranks, they want to create an agent from nobody, from scratch, from you! Loosely based on events in the American intelligence community during the Reagan administration, Fire tells the unique and powerful story of a young man’s journey through the complex world of international intelligence. Fire was Bendis’ first major work and helped him attract and develop a new audience for crime graphic novels that he would further challenge in later works such as Jinx, Goldfish, Torso, and Powers.

1936255664?profile=RESIZE_180x180INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK VOL 2: GODS AND MONSTER (TPB)

1936338262?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by MARK WAID

Penciled by WALTER SIMONSON & MATTEO SCALERA

Cover by WALTER SIMONSON

136 PGS./Rated T+/$19.99

Superstar creator Walter Simonson returns to his signature character: the mighty Thor! When Bruce Banner takes his lab team to Jotunheim, it can mean only one thing: Hulk vs. Frost Giants! Thor joins the fray, but what’s wrong with the God of Thunder — and why doesn’t he recognize Hulk? As the Frost Giants prepare to invade Earth, not even Hulk and Thor can stand in their way — so they’ll have to call in some help! Plus: Hulk takes on urban crime, and takes the witness stand, as the secrets of Matt Murdock and Bruce Banner’s friendship are revealed! Daredevil guest-stars as the Hulk experiences blind rage! Collecting INDESTRUCTIBLE HULK #6-10.

1936255664?profile=RESIZE_180x180IRON FIST: LIVING WEAPON #2

1936340292?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936342376?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer/Art/Cover: KAARE ANDREWS

Artist Variant: J.G. JONES

• K’UN LUN under attack!

• Danny Rand returns to the aid of his adopted home, but will he make it in time?

• More of the secret origin of Iron Fist!

1936255664?profile=RESIZE_180x180IRON MAN: FATAL FRONTIER (HC)

1936344452?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by KIERON GILLEN & AL EWING

Penciled by LAN MEDINA & NEIL EDWARDS

Cover by PAUL RENAUD

168 PGS./Rated T+/$34.99

Trim size: oversized

It’s the first print edition of the story previously available only in Marvel’s innovative Infinite Comics format! The moon has declared war on Earth! After stopping a missile aimed at Hollywood, Iron Man travels to the moon to investigate, and clashes with the robotic Udarnik and his moon-based society! And when Iron Man’s old foe Endotherm attacks, Tony realizes a new moon element called Phlogistone drives those who use it insane. But what is Cortex Incorporated hiding from Iron Man, and is Tony at risk of losing his mind? Tony’s old mentor Eli Warren has abused Extremis in his desperate search for Phlogistone, and now Dr. Doom has joined the hunt! How far will Iron Man go to stop the spread of the new element? Collecting IRON MAN: FATAL FRONTIER INFINITE COMIC #1-13.

1936255664?profile=RESIZE_180x180LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD #2 (2ND PTG)

1936346827?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by AL EWING

Art by LEE GARBETT

Cover by JENNY FRISON

Loki vs. Lorelei! It's the battle of the Asgardian younger siblings - from the casinos of Monte Carlo to a speed date in New York! Loki goes speed dating. We should have mentioned that earlier, really.

“… an incredibly intriguing book and one to keep on your pull list” -- Comic Vine

1936298598?profile=RESIZE_180x180LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD #4

1936348469?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: AL EWING

Art: LEE GARBETT

Cover: JENNY FRISON

32 PGS./Rated T+/$2.99

• Ancient hero Sigurd wants his magic sword back from Loki ... The All-Mother wants Sigurd back from Midgard ...

• ... and Loki wants to put a crew together for a caper that’ll rock the nine realms.

• Somebody’s going to get what they want.

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180MAGNETO #3

1936348538?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Art: GABRIEL HERNANDEZ WALTA

Cover: DECLAN SHALVEY

Variant: MARK BROOKS

• MAGNETO CUTS LOOSE!

• At the source of the newest Sentinel threat, Magneto puts what’s left of his magnetic powers to good use.

• This may very well be the first step in Magneto becoming the VILLAIN he once was …

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• MILES MORALES: THE ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #1

1936307077?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936309041?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936311503?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art/Cover: DAVE MARQUEZ

Variant: FIONA STAPLES

Variant: BRANDON PETERSON

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

PART ONE OF THE BIGGEST SPIDER-MAN STORY OF THE YEAR “REVIVAL”!

The character that took the world by storm returns for a brand-new series in MILES MORALES: ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #1. Legendary writer Brian Michael Bendis and New York Times bestselling artist David Marquez are back for “Revival” – one of the biggest Spider-Man stories of the year!

Miles is back in action with a new status quo and a brand new outlook. But his new lease on life is short lived, as one of Peter Parker’s greatest foes returns to the fold, ready to leave New York City a smoldering ruin! S.H.I.E.L.D. is no more – and it’s up to Miles to take down one of the most dangerous foes in the entire Ultimate Universe!

And Miles will come face to face with Peter Parker’s legacy in a way you’ve never seen before -- with a last page so shocking that EVERYONE will be talking!

“Spider-Man’s greatest enemy will haunt Miles Morales,” says editor Mark Paniccia, “and in more ways than one. This is going to break all kinds of molds. Readers are going to flip.”

“The reaction to Miles is one of the great joys of my life and career. I am so excited to join David [Marquez] and Justin [Ponsor] for the next and the new,” says series writer Brian Michael Bendis. “I am going to have to unplug my computer when this issue ships …”

As Miles' new journey begins, he’ll go head-to-head with one of the greatest Spidey villains in history, not to mention a last page that will have USM fans screaming! You do not want to miss one of the biggest issues of the year when MILES MORALES: ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #1 explodes into comic shops!

1936311472?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936311895?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936311895?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936313798?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936255664?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MIRACLEMAN #5

1936315925?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936317955?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936320816?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936255664?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: THE ORIGINAL WRITER 

Art: ALAN DAVIS & JOHN RIDGWAY

Cover: ALAN DAVIS

Variants: JIM CHEUNG, HUMBERTO RAMOS, ALEX ROSS

48 PGS./Parental Advisory/$4.99

With the utterance of a single word, Michael Moran transforms into the extraordinary –and Miracleman is born! But who created him? The twisted genius who gave birth to Miracleman has come forth, initiating a long-held plan that threatens the future of Miracleman and his entire family! Who is Dr. Emil Gargunza and what is Project Zarathustra? The secrets will be revealed when Book Two: The Red King Syndrome begins in MIRACLEMAN #5!

Long out of print, these timeless, earth-shattering stories are once again available to the masses – and Marvel is proud to finally present these incredible comics to an audience that has clamored for them.

“There are few comics in the history of the medium that reach the heights of Miracleman,” says Marvel SVP of Sales & Marketing David Gabriel. “Thankfully there are few artists in the business that as renowned as Alex Ross and we’re thrilled to have him contribute such a stunningly beautiful cover.”

Issue #5 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #12-15, plus bonus material. Issue #6 includes material originally presented in WARRIOR #16-18, plus bonus material.

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180MOON KNIGHT #3

1936322795?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936324624?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: WARREN ELLIS

Art/Cover: DECLAN SHALVEY

Variant Cover: RYAN STEGMAN

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

In this issue: Moon Knight punches ghosts.

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180NEW WARRIORS #4

1936324771?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CHRISTOPHER YOST

Art: MARCUS TO

Cover: RAMON PEREZ

32 PGS./Rated T+/$3.99

THE KIDS ARE ALL FIGHT (PART 4 of 4)

• The end is here as the Second Evolutionary War begins!

• The New Warriors face off against the High Evolutionary. Can they stop world-wide genocide? Should they? How many lives would you sacrifice to save all of humanity?

• Judgement is coming for the Marvel Universe.

ORIGINAL SIN #1

1936326600?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936326894?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936328730?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936330873?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936332872?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936334869?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936328730?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JASON AARON

Art by MIKE DEODATO

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Variants: GABRIELLE DELL’OTTO, ED MCGUINNESS, SKOTTIE YOUNG, STEVE MCNIVEN

Blank Cover Also Available!

This May, the secrets come out. Marvel is proud to present a fuller look at beautifully rendered interior pages from ORIGINAL SIN #1 – the 8-part blockbuster event from New York Times Bestselling writer Jason Aaron and critically acclaimed artist Mike Deodato!

On the moon, the dead body of Uatu, The Watcher is discovered. His home destroyed. Looted of its valuable alien technology. His death sends shockwaves through the superhero community. But something far more dangerous was taken. The Watchers eyeball – which has borne witness to every every event, every skeleton and every secret history of the Marvel Universe now rests in the hands of his killer. Secrets that are about to get out.

Who holds the eye? It could be anyone – even one of the Marvel Universe’s greatest heroes. Each cover, gorgeously rendered by some of the top talent in the industry features a different Marvel hero in possession of the Watcher’s dangerous and mysterious eye. But which hero (or villain) is behind his murder?

Everyone is a suspect – and no one is safe!

The manhunt is on as the Avengers, the X-Men, Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four and everyone in between desperately search for the Watcher’s killer – but are they ready for their sins to be revealed?

As they unearth the motive behind The Watcher’s murder, they’ll uncover a shocking truth that will shake the Marvel Universe to its core. What did The Watcher see that made him a target? And it’s only a matter of time before more bodies start popping up!

“This is a murder mystery on a Marvel Universe scale, so the suspects and motivations span all of space and time, and even the nature of existence itself!” says Executive Editor Tom Brevoort. “And in fact, there are two possibilities: first, that the Watcher was killed because of some grudge or slight, or to gain possession of his secrets. Or, more menacingly, the Watcher was killed in order to prevent him from seeing what comes next—to prevent him from interceding as he has so many times before! Neither is a particularly comforting thought to the heroes of the Marvel Universe! Nor is the notion that the being who could murder a nigh-omnipotent, eternal figure such as the Watcher must rank among the most dangerous and powerful individuals in existence!”

You thought you knew the whole story? You we’re wrong! The next stage of the Marvel Universe begins in May’s blockbuster ORIGINAL SIN #1!

Everybody has one. This is Marvel’s ORIGINAL SIN!

Every issue of ORIGINAL SIN includes a code for a free digital copy of that same comic on the Marvel Comics app for iOS and Android devices. Additionally, each issue of ORIGINAL SIN features special augmented reality content available exclusive through the Marvel AR app – including cover recaps, behind the scenes features and more that add value to your reading experience at no additional cost.

1936337213?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936339253?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936341245?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936328730?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936343646?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936343594?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936345434?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936328730?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936346653?profile=RESIZE_180x180Original Sin will reach unprecedented levels of marketing and promotion, exceeding the mass media buzz of any other previous event in Marvel’s comic book history.

Exceeding the investment of previous Marvel events, Original Sin is set to reach new and current audiences in 2014 thanks to vast social media outreach, new levels of targeted web and video advertising, radio campaigns, television placements including Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Declassified and other high-profile press estimated to be seen and heard by millions of potential consumers.

In addition to new marketing strategies, Marvel is proud to announce exciting programs to aid comic shops and retailers in promoting Original Sin. Participating retailers will have access to exclusive launch party items including lithographs by fan-favorite artist Skottie Young, special variant covers, and even rubber glow-in-the-dark Watcher eyeballs!

Original Sin and the associated tie-ins will also be featured in special fold out insert ads running in top circulating Marvel publications from April through September. Special in-store marketing collateral will also be provided including postcards, a special in-store promotional trailer and more.

Special retailer incentives will also be made available to qualifying retailers.

For more on Marvel’s Original Sin, please visit Marvel.com. Join the conversation on Twitter with hashtag #OriginalSin and don’t forget to follow us at @Marvel [www.twitter.com/Marvel]!

1936348197?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936348329?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936350579?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936350664?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936312519?profile=RESIZE_180x180

THE PUNISHER #5

1936352667?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: NATHAN EDMONDSON

Art/Cover: MITCHELL THOMAS GERADS

• The Dos Soles plan to takeover L.A. begins! WAR IN THE STREETS!

• Where there’s war in the streets, there’s Frank Castle.

• The fall of a friend???

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAVAGE WOLVERINE #18

1936354955?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JEN VAN METER

Art: RICH ELLIS

Cover: SHANE DAVIS

• In the 1960s southwest, Wolverine must defend a group of innocent workers from evil.

• Meanwhile, in Dallas, an event will change the world.

• Jen Van Meter (CAPTAIN MARVEL) and Rich Ellis (SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN) bring you a moment in history through the eyes of Wolverine.

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHE-HULK #4

1936354993?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: CHARLES SOULE

Art: JAVIER PULIDO

Cover: KEVIN P. WADA

32 PGS./Rated T+/$2.99

• Jen’s new client Kristoff Vernard has been kidnapped by his dad, DOCTOR DOOM!

• What does fellow lawyer (and recently outted Man Without Fear) MATT MURDOCK know about it?

• It’s an international jailbreak, She-Hulk Style, as Charles Soule (INHUMANITY) and Javier Pulido (HAWKEYE) take us to Latverian soil!

1936298532?profile=RESIZE_180x180SILVER SURFER #1 (2ND PTG)

STK644777.jpg?width=150Writer: DAN SLOTT

Art/Cover: MICHAEL ALLRED

"New Dawn" -- The universe is big. Bigger than you could ever imagine. And the Silver Surfer, the lone sentinel of the skyways, is about to discover that the best way to see it ... is with someone else. Meet the Earth girl who's challenged the Surfer to go beyond the boundaries of the known Marvel U -- into the strange, the new, and the utterly fantastic! Anywhere and everywhere ... Hang On!

UNCANNY X-MEN VOL. 3: THE GOOD, THE BAD, THE INHUMAN (PREMIERE HC)

1936355267?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Penciled by CHRIS BACHALO & KRIS ANKA

Cover by ALEXANDER LOZANO

136 PGS./Rated T+/$24.99

Trim size: standard

The new Xavier School changes as the effects of BATTLE OF THE ATOM are felt — and Kitty Pryde and the All-New X-Men join Cyclops’ renegade squad! Meanwhile, Magneto goes off on personal mission that sets him at odds with much of the X-Men — and the Marvel Universe. As Magneto reaches a crossroads, everything he’s fought for is called into question — and he’s forced to make a decision that will change him forever! Elsewhere, the ladies of the Uncanny X-Men go out on the town — and find themselves face-to-face with the effects of Inhumanity! And Cyclops declares a training day for the X-Men’s students, but the “training” seems to be that the teachers just abandoned them to fend for themselves on a dangerous mission! What will these inexperienced young mutants do now? Collecting UNCANNY X-MEN #14, #15.INH and #16-18.

1936255664?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN ADAMANTIUM COLLECTION

1936355325?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024

1936357301?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by STAN LEE, ROY THOMAS, CHRIS CLAREMONT, FABIAN NICIEZA, GRANT MORRISON,

JOSS WHEDON, ED BRUBAKER, MATT FRACTION & BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Penciled by JACK KIRBY, NEAL ADAMS, JOHN BYRNE, BRENT ANDERSON, JIM LEE, ANDY KUBERT,

FRANK QUITELY, JOHN CASSADAY, GREG LAND, TERRY DODSON & STUART IMMONEN

Cover by ALEX ROSS

720 PGS./Rated T+/$200

The super-sized, slipcased “Adamantium Collection” format is back, and it’s the X-Men’s turn in the spotlight! It’s the best and brightest moments from the mighty mutants’ long and storied history like you’ve never seen them before — and packed with extras! Thrill to the X-Men’s debut, seminal battles against Magneto and the Sentinels, the classic “Days of Future Past” and “God Loves, Man Kills” stories, Magneto’s return, Cyclops and Jean Grey’s wedding, Cassandra Nova’s deadly attack on mutantkind, the discovery of a cure for mutation, the X-Men’s exodus to San Francisco, and the original teen team’s shocking arrival in the present day! Collecting X-MEN (1963) #1, #57-59 and #141; UNCANNY X-MEN (1981) #142 and #500; MARVEL GRAPHIC NOVEL #5; X-MEN (1991) #1-3 and #30; NEW X-MEN (2001) #114-116; ASTONISHING X-MEN (2004) #1-6; and ALL-NEW X-MEN #1-5.

1801214406?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN: DAYS OF FUTURE PAST (PROSE NOVEL HC)

1936359430?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by ALEXANDER IRVINE

Adapted from the graphic novel by CHRIS CLAREMONT & JOHN BYRNE

Cover by JOHN BYRNE

304 PGS./No Rating/$24.99

In a dark and dangerous post-apocalyptic future, the mutant-hunting killing machines known as the Sentinels rule America with an iron fist. Almost all mutants, super heroes and villains have been exterminated. Only a handful remain to fight against their oppressive robotic overseers -- and most of those are powerless, locked in mutant concentration camps. Now, Kate Pryde must travel back in time and warn the present-day X-Men of the coming danger -- and hopefully prevent this horrible future from ever taking place! Experience the classic, genre-defining X-Men event like never before in this new adaptation!

1936255664?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• X-MEN: NO MORE HUMANS (OGN)

1936300978?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by MIKE CAREY

Penciled by SALVADOR LARROCA

Cover by SALVADOR LARROCA

128 PGS./Rated T+/$24.99

Marvel Entertainment is excited to announce an all-new Original Graphic Novel, X-MEN: NO MORE HUMANS by best-selling author and classic X-Men scribe Mike Carey (X-Men) and superstar artist Salvador Larroca (X-Men, Invincible Iron Man). This 128-page hardcover hits comic shops and bookstores everywhere on May 7th, 2014 and is the first X-MEN Original Graphic Novel since the classic X-MEN: GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS.

“We are so lucky to have Mike Carey, one of the most popular X-Men writers of the last ten years, who just happens to be a best-selling novelist, and Salvador Larroca, whose runs on X-Treme X-Men, X-Men, Uncanny X-Men and Cable and X-Force earned him a place in all X-Fans hearts,” says Senior Editor Nick Lowe.

Following the shattering events of the “Battle of the Atom” the X-Men awaken to find all the world’s humans gone. From normal everyday folks to the Avengers and Fantastic Four, all Homo sapiens have disappeared. It’s up to the disparate sides of the X-Men to come together, get to the bottom of this mystery and find a way to get the humans back. But do all of the mutants want their human brethren to return?

“’Battle of the Atom’ was the perfect launching pad for X-MEN: NO MORE HUMANS, in a lot of different ways,” states writer Mike Carey. “It raised, in a very direct and powerful way, the question of how the X-Men influence the world around them, for good or bad - and it introduced Raze - a fascinating new villain, conflicted and with his own scary and consistent agenda. I came in at just the right time to bounce off that.”

Carey continues, “X-MEN: NO MORE HUMANS is an X-Men story in a classic mold - one that pits the mutant heroes, not just against external enemies, but also against each other, forcing them to confront their own ideals and prejudices as they cope with world-changing and potentially world-ending events.”

X-MEN: NO MORE HUMANS will also include a code for a free digital copy of the graphic novel and a free digital copy of X-Men: Battle of the Atom #1 on the Marvel Comics app for iOS and Android devices. For more on X-Men, please visit marvel.com and join in the conversation on Twitter with #xmen.

1936303234?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936305248?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936305567?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936307984?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936309898?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN VS. HULK (TPB)

1936309994?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by CHRISTOS GAGE, MARC SUMERAK, ALEXANDER ZALBON, CHRIS CLAREMONT, ROGER STERN, JOHN BYRNE & DOUG MOENCH

Penciled by ANDREA DIVITO, SANFORD GREEN, JOYCE CHIN, JEREMY RAAPACK, JOHN BYRNE & WALTER SIMONSON

Cover by ED MCGUINNESS

208 PGS./Rated T+/$24.99

The Illuminati shot the Hulk into space. Now he’s back, he’s mad, and he’s got some pointed questions for Illuminati member Professor X. But Xavier’s got some very powerful friends looking out for him! Thrill to all-out action as the Hulk battles through every X-Man there is -- and then some! Featuring the meanest Hulk/Wolverine battle yet, as well as a rematch against the unstoppable Juggernaut! Plus: The X-Men must track down the Hulk before mysterious earthquakes decimate San Francisco! Dazzler rocks out, and the Hulk’s got a backstage pass! To teach Colossus a lesson, Wolverine orchestrates a clash with the savage Hulk! Iceman, Angel and Hulk battle Sentinels in space! And the Hulk and classic X-Men battle aliens in Europe! Collecting WORLD WAR HULK: X-MEN #1-3, HULK TEAM-UP #1, X-MEN VS. HULK #1, INCREDIBLE HULK ANNUAL #7 and material from RAMPAGING HULK (1977) #2.

1936309898?profile=RESIZE_180x180VALIANT COMICS

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #20

1936310161?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936312354?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936312385?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936314407?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: FRED VAN LENTE

Art: PERE PEREZ

Covers: SHAWN CRYSTAL and MICHAEL WALSH

Variant Cover: MICO SUAYAN

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

ALL-NEW ARC! START READING HERE! “AMERICAN WASTELAND” begins here!

His whole life, Obadiah Archer has been lied to about his true heritage – but when he and his pal Armstrong arrive in L.A. to meet his real parents, they find them in the clutches of the CHURCH OF RETROLOGY! What insidious plans does THE LIZARD KING, the head of the favored religion of the Left Coast’s rich and famous, have for the Valiant Universe’s premier conspiracy busters? And what lurks in the Hollywood Hotel? (Hint: You can check in anytime you like, but you can never leave!)

1936314475?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936316418?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936318645?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936320788?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936322691?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936312385?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHADOWMAN VOL. 4: FEAR, BLOOD, AND SHADOWS (TPB)

1936324486?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: PETER MILLIGAN

Art: ROBERTO DE LA TORRE & AL BARRIONUEVO

Cover: ROBERTO DE LA TORRE

$14.99/T+/32 pgs.

Master storytellers Peter Milligan and Roberto de la Torre present an all-new new beginning for New Orleans’ mysterious defender.

When a troubled young man with a history of violence and a penchant for blackouts meets an overwhelming source of power with a mystical scythe, the results are doomed to be destructive. A voodoo loa has possessed Jack Boniface – or so he believes. But after Jack awakens in an alleyway covered in blood, he embarks on a journey across lands of shadows and death to discover if he can expel the dark force that’s seized control of his life…and which may be responsible for a violent rampage throughout New Orleans…

Collecting SHADOWMAN #13-16 by comics icon Peter Milligan (Hellblazer, X-Statix) and visionary artist Roberto De La Torre (Daredevil), start reading here as Shadowman begins a brand new era…and Jack Boniface gets dragged to his blackest depths yet!

• OTHER PUBLISHERS

ADVENTURE TIME FLIP SIDE #5

STK639341.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: Paul Tobin, Colleen Coover

Art: Wook Jin Clark

Cover: Colleen Coover

All Ages/$3.99

Ooo is in chaos, everything is up in smoke and the only way to set it all back to normal is to get Monkey Wizard to FINALLY kidnap Painting Princess-Finn and Jake have even done all the work for him!! It looks like the simpler the task, the harder it's going be for our heroes!

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180ALL YOU NEED IS KILL VOL 1 (GN)

STK637145.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer: NICK MAMATAS

Art/Cover: LEE FERGUSON

Mature/$14.99

When the alien Mimics invade, Keiji Kiriya is just one of many recruits shoved into a suit of battle armor called a Jacket and sent out to kill. Keiji dies on the battlefield, only to be reborn each morning to fight and die again and again. On his 158th iteration, he gets a message from a mysterious ally--the female soldier known as the Full Metal Bitch. Is she the key to Keiji's escape or his final death? Now a major motion picture starring Tom Cruise!

The official graphic novel adaptation based on the original novel!

I’ve read the novel this is based on – it was a pretty good read, so the GN might well be worth a look.  Can’t say as I’m thrilled to hear about the movie – I’m not a big Cruise fan.

At this point, who IS a big Tom Cruise fan?

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180ANDROID ANGELS (GN)

STK633002.jpg?width=150Publisher: GEN MANGA ENTERTAINMENT

Writer/Art/Cover: KOSUKE KABAYA

All Ages/$14.95

Wouldn't it be great to live with the perfect woman or perfect man? Android butlers and maids are the future. These short stories are tales from a land beyond, where androids not only protect humans, but also live and are intimate with them. Android Angels depicts a future world in which consumers can easily rent android companions, but only for a three-year span, leading to questions about the morality of erasing the memories of artificial humans and what happens to human relationships abruptly broken off every three years.

This description sounds  familiar, also – I wonder if it’s based on something I’ve read. I’m curious what the rationale is behind the three-year limit. Why wouldn’t you just be able to re-up if you were satisfied with your android?

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180BAR MAID #5

STK635118.jpg?width=150STK635119.jpg?width=1501936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180STK635120.jpg?width=150Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

Writer: PATRICK SHAND

Art: JACOB BEAR

Cover A: IVAN NUNES

Cover B: PASQUALE QUALANO

Cover C: FRANCHESCO

Mature/$3.50

Cassidy leads the final showdown between the rebels and the Japanese Imperial Army. As the secret weapon the Japanese have been working on is finally uncovered, our heroes find themselves in a dilemma that they cannot possibly escape. Don't miss the thrilling conclusion to Zenescope's B.A.R. Maid!

One thing that's as true of today's comics as it was of Golden Age comics: There's no lack of "good girl" art, is there? Although I think they call it "fan service" now.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180BENITO MAMBO (DLX HC)

STK635915.jpg?width=150Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writer/Art/Cover: CHRISTIAN DURIEUX

All Ages/$34.95

Benito is a little boy who dreams of becoming a mambo dancer. His outraged millionaire father forbids Benito's dancing destiny and exiles him from the family home. On the fantastical journey that follows, young Benito will meet a host of quirky characters, and traverse the globe. He will eventually reach the magical Kingdom of Matamore where love awaits him! A whimsical, colorful (both literally and figuratively) fable that will appeal to fans of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's famous The Little Prince, and Archaia's Return of the Dapper Men. Presented in a deluxe oversized edition with cloth spine.

"Benito is a little boy who dreams of becoming a mambo dancer."

I think I can say, without fear of contradiction, that at no point in my childhood did I ever dream of becoming a mambo dancer.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180BLEACH 3-IN-1 VOL 8 (TPB)

STK637140.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: TITE KUBO

All Ages/$14.99

Ichigo and his friends have returned home from the battle in the Seireitei, but everything is far from back to normal. Ichigo's inner Hollow is getting more powerful and can't wait to devour him, and having to deal with the sinister new transfer student isn't helping matters. Plus, a deadly new enemy is poised to attack Karakura Town!

An OK series, but one that just seemed to go on too long repeating the same pattern – Hero encounters new opponent, new opponent has some power or skill that the hero cannot counteract, hero encounters new teacher who helps him learn new power or skill that overcomes the opponent, rinse, lather, repeat.  I think I gave up after about 54 volumes.

You're better man than I, Gunga Baron. For my part, "Bleach 3-in-1" sounds like a detergent.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180CALIBAN #2

STK638206.jpg?width=150STK638209.jpg?width=1501936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180STK638210.jpg?width=300Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Art/Cover A: FACUNDO PERCIO

Cover B (Terror): FACUNDO PERCIO

Cover C (Wrap): FACUNDO PERCIO

Mature/$3.99

Horror in space has never been more terrifying than when told by master storyteller GARTH ENNIS and Fashion Beast artist FACUNDO PERCIO! No one imagined it possible, there is no other life in the universe outside of humanity. But an accident in hyperspace has forced the crew of the Caliban into accepting that simple is not true. Amid the carnage of the mishap, an alien horror begins to unfold that will take these unsuspecting space travelers to the very edge of sanity. There are things in this universe that were not meant to be encountered. Ennis delivers a new frightening vision of terror in the pages of Caliban! Available with Regular, Wraparound, Terror, and Design Sketch Incentive covers by Facundo Percio and a ultra-limited Dark Matter edition of just 1500 copies.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180CLAYMORE VOL 24 (GN)

STK637141.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

(W/A/CA) NORIHIRO YAGI

Teen +/$9.99

Priscilla, whose monstrous savagery was reawakened in the previous battle, is bent on absorbing the power of those who fell in her wake and destroying the rebel Claymores. Raki and several former top warriors band together with a defensive plan, but even their skills may be no match against Priscilla's poisoned wrath.

Man, those poisoned wraths are the worst, aren’t they?

They're even worse than Dire Wraiths!

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180CLOCKWORK GAME (GN)

STK635961.jpg?width=150Publisher: CAFE DIGITAL COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JANE IRWIN

All Ages/$19.95

In 1769, the court of Empress Maria Theresia witnessed one of that era's most amazing feats of engineering: The Turk, a machine that could play chess. Clockwork Game retells the story of the automaton's 85-year career, which spanned two continents and included challenges from Napoleon, Charles Babbage, and Benjamin Franklin.

Long-time Legionnaire Jeff of Earth-J has recommended this book, and I'm attempting to get an interview with Jane Irwin. Meanwhile, here's what he said in the Forum:

"This graphic novel tells the history of 'The Turk,' the mechanical chess player of the 18th and 19th centuries. It has been serialized online over the course of six years, and has finally been collected in printed form. The story itself is true, but fictionalized somewhat for storytelling purposes. Irwin has heavily annotated where she embellished the story and why in an exhausting series of Endnotes. Clockwork Game is meticulously researched and includes a four-page bibliography. I had heard of The Turk but knew virtually nothing about it. Historical personages who cross The Turk’s path include Benjamin Franklin, Charles Babbage, Napoleon, Beethoven, P.T. Barnum and Edgar Allan Poe. It really is a fascinating story and I recommend it to everyone."

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180COMPLETE PEANUTS VOL 21 1991-1992 (HC)

STK632915.jpg?width=300Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: CHARLES M. SCHULZ

All Ages/$29.99

Peanuts enters its final decade, and The Complete Peanuts enters its homestretch, with material that is perhaps the most neglected of Schulz's career. Schulz's cartooning has never looked more confident, and his sense of humor never more unrestrained. This latest volume includes an introduction by Tom Tomorrow plus scholarly essays about this most over-looked period in the Peanuts canon.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180COMPLETE PEANUTS VOL 1 1950-1952 (TPB)

STK637585.jpg?width=300Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: CHARLES M. SCHULZ

All Ages/$22.99

THE FIRST PAPERBACK VOLUME OF THE BESTSELLING SERIES!

The bestselling, award-winning, critically acclaimed series that sparked a renaissance for fans of classic comic strips upon its debut in 2004 is now coming in softcover! This first volume, covering the first two and a quarter years of the strip, features hundreds of strips rarely reprinted before this series. Three major cast members - Schroeder, Lucy, and Linus - initially show up as infants and only "grow" into their final "mature" selves as the months go by. Even Snoopy debuts as a puppy! The Complete Peanuts offers a unique chance to see a master of the art form refine his skills and solidify his universe, day by day. This volume is rounded out with Garrison Keillor's introduction, a biographical essay by David Michaelis (Schulz and Peanuts) and an in-depth interview with Schulz conducted in 1987 by Gary Groth and Rick Marschall.

I'm still getting the hardbacks, but if those are too pricey for you, here's an alternative. And those early strips are really interesting.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180CRITTER #20

STK627940.jpg?width=300Publisher: BIG DOG INK

Writer: TOM HUTCHISON

Art: FICO OSSIO

Cover: FICO OSSIO, JENEVIEVE BROOMALL

All Ages/$1.00

The landmark 20th-issue of Critter takes the almost famous catgirl in an all new direction! Pain, confusion and loss have been the staples of Critter's super hero career so far, and there's only so much one can take before it's time for a change. This issue is a perfect jumping on point for new readers!

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180CROSSED BADLANDS #53

STK638211.jpg?width=150STK638212.jpg?width=150STK638214.jpg?width=1501936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180STK638215.jpg?width=300Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Art/Cover A: CHRISTIAN ZANIER

Cover B (Final Fantasy): MATT MARTIN

Cover C (Torture): CHRISTIAN ZANIER

Cover C (Wraparound): GABRIEL ANDRADE

Mature/$3.99

Part four of GARTH ENNIS' return to Crossed: Badlands continues to give the hordes of infected a dire dose of horror!  It is the beginning of the infection and as more and more countries fall to the rapidly expanding infection, a group of military men start to place the pieces together and form assumptions about how this all happened.  In each country a patient zero began the Crossed horror, but what does that mean for how the first infected actually came about?  The creator of Crossed and Preacher, continues the tale that set off C-Day in comic shops worldwide!  Available with Regular, Torture, and Red Crossed Incentive covers by Christian Zanier, a Fatale Fantasy cover by Matt Martin and a Wraparound cover by Gabriel Andrade.

All together now: Ew.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180DARWIN'S DIARIES VOL 2: DEATH OF BEAST (GN)

STK636096.jpg?width=150Publisher: CINEBOOK

Writer: SYLVAIN RUNBERG

Art/Cover: EDUARDO OCANA

All Ages/$13.95

With the beast killed by the soldiers, the strike ends and things seem to return to normal. But there are still some unanswered questions and lingering tensions, especially towards the neo-Druids who live in the forest.

Evidently Darwin led a much more interesting life than they taught us in school.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180DAY MEN PEN & INK #1

STK626167.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: MATT GAGNON, MICHAEL ALAN NELSON

Art/Cover: BRIAN STELFREEZE

All Ages/$9.99

WHY WE LOVE IT: It's pretty simple. We think Brian Stelfreeze is one of the industry's best artists and storytellers and deserves to be showcased in his purest form. As fans of Brian's art, we wanted this for ourselves.

WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT: Stelfreeze is known around the convention circuit as a great mentor to young creators with an understanding of the craft of making comic books that is second to none. A rare opportunity to learn the creative process of a comics industry luminary.

WHAT IT'S ABOUT: Collecting DAY MEN #1-2 in an oversized prestige format, DAY MEN: PEN & INK #1 presents Brian Stelfreeze's artwork stripped down to the inks side-by-side with in-depth annotations from the entire creative team.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEAD LETTERS #1 (2ND PTG)

STK645418.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: CHRISTOPHER SEBELA

Art: CHRIS VISIONS

Cover: ARTYOM TRAKHANOV

All Ages/$3.99

From BOOM! Entertainment. Second Printing of the sold-out premiere!

WHY WE LOVE IT: Here at BOOM! Studios, crime is in our blood - from our comic-turned-feature film 2 Guns to our critically acclaimed series Hit, we've always had a passion for all things noir. Dead Letters is the next step in our exploration of the genre.

WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT: Creators Christopher Sebela (Ghost, High Crimes) and newcomer Chris Visions are two fresh voices that are about to take the industry by storm. Don't miss out on a wholly unique take on supernatural noir.

WHAT IT'S ABOUT: Sam Whistler wakes up in an unfamiliar motel room, dressed in hospital scrubs and his arms wrapped in bandages. He remembers nothing -- not how he got here, not where here is ... not even his own name. But the goons knocking down his door sure do, and it's going to take every single move in Sam's forgotten repertoire to outrun and outsmart the gang war he's just stumbled into.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEAD LETTERS #2

STK639345.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: CHRISTOPHER SEBELA

Art/Cover: CHRIS VISIONS

All Ages/$3.99

After his harrowing first day in the city only known as "Here," Sam Whistler finds himself in the employ of the Big Man himself, tasked with infiltrating the two rival gangs warring for control over the abandoned domain.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180EPIC #1

STK636138.jpg?width=150Publisher: COMIXTRIBE

Writer: TYLER JAMES

Art/Cover: FICO OSSIO

All Ages/$3.99

Miami's newest teenage superhero has a weakness for beautiful girls -- literally! Hot on the heels of its world-wide Free Comic Book Day debut, your new favorite superhero action comedy begins its Epic ongoing series run! Witness the frightening origin of Epic's first fearsome foe, the half-man/half-spider monstrosity Daddy Long Legs! See the scintillating first appearance of Scarewolf! Watch our hero whiff at his first attempt to woo the pretty new girl at school! All that and a foil-embossed cover, brought to you by writer Tyler James (The Red Ten) and rising-star artist Fico Ossio (Critter)!

This concept probably took all of 10 seconds to dream up.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180FATHOM KIANI VOL 3 #3

STK639744.jpg?width=150STK639745.jpg?width=150Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC

Writer: VINCE HERNANDEZ

Art/Cover A: GIUSEPPE CAFARO

Cover B: DAWN MCTEIGUE

All Ages/$3.99

Kiani has risen!

Kiani severs her ties with Luzhin and the Volna after discovering the true dangers such a powerful research facility is capable of. However, her escape does not go according to plan-as the Russians prove they are not easily dissuaded from their attempts to become the world's greatest nation-even if it means killing her in the process!

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180I'M A FEMINIST, BUT: COMICS ABOUT WOMEN (GN)

STK630302.jpg?width=150Publisher: ALTERNATIVE COMICS

Writer: SHANNON O'LEARY & Various

Art: GABRIELLE BELL & Various

Cover: Joan Reilly

All Ages/$20.00

A comics anthology that asks: What do we really mean when we say, "I'm not a feminist, but ..." or "I am 100% a feminist, but ..." What do our great big "buts" say about where things stand between the sexes in the 21st Century? Contributors include Lauren Weinstein, Jeffrey Brown, Gabrielle Bell, Justin Hall, Ron Rege Jr., Vanessa Davis, Josh Neufeld, Andi Zeisler, Angie Wang, Emily Flake, Dylan Williams and many more.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180GARFIELD #25

STK639350.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: MARK EVANIER, SCOTT NICKEL

Art: ANDY HIRSCH, DAVE DEGRAND

Cover: GARY BARKER

All Ages/$4.99

We've spent an amazing two years with Garfield and the gang, so of course we're going to bring you an extra-large sized anniversary issue, full of two all-new jumbo stories, to celebrate! First, Mark Evanier and Andy Hirsch team up to tell a tale of a very special day in Garfield's life. Then, Scott Nickel and David DeGrand join forces for the return of Garfield's food foes...but this time, they've all joined forces to take down the Fat Cat once and for all! And if THAT isn't enough, the legendary George Pérez does this issue's variant cover!

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180GET FUZZY TREASURY JERKTASTIC PARK (TPB)

STK635283.jpg?width=150Publisher: ANDREWS MCMEEL

Writer/Art/Cover: DARBY CONLEY

All Ages/$18.99

Collecting the cartoons from The Birth of Canis and The Fuzzy Bunch, this treasury is a rollicking read full of Bucky's signature bullying of Satchel and Rob's inability to keep the peace.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM FAIRY TALES #97

STK637298.jpg?width=150STK637299.jpg?width=1501936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180STK637300.jpg?width=150Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

Writer: SHANE MCKENZIE

Art: ANTONIO BIFULCO

Cover A: RENATO REI

Cover B: GIUSEPPE CAFARO

Cover C: ALE GARZA

Mature/$2.99

She's one of the prettiest and sweetest dentists who'll ever clean your teeth... By day that is. But by night, the Tooth Fairy is an entity found in children's nightmares. And the Dark Queen has an important job for her!  The Grimm Universe introduces a brand new character that will keep you away from the dentist! Don't miss this frightening issue of Grimm Fairy Tales as it continues toward the landmark 100th issue!

You'll note Jenny Frison has been absent as a cover artist at Zenescope for several weeks now. That's because she's now at Marvel (Loki: Agent of Asgard) and Dynamite (Red Sonja). Toldja she was good.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• GOD IS DEAD #12

STK638216.jpg?width=145STK638217.jpg?width=295STK638218.jpg?width=150STK638220.jpg?width=150Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: MIKE COSTA

Art: GERMAN ERRAMOUSPE

Cover A: JACEN BURROWS

Cover B (Carnage Wraparound) GERMAN NOBILE

Cover C: (End of Days): JACEN BURROWS

Cover D (Iconic): JACEN BURROWS

Mature/$3.99

MIKE COSTA expands JONATHAN HICKMAN's vision for the war of the divine in the pages of God is Dead!  The End of Days has come again as returned gods vie for control of a vulnerable mortal planet.  Mother Earth Gaia has faced the fury of the returned gods and the final battle will take an unimaginable toll on Earth and her inhabitants!  Available with a Regular, End of Days, and Iconic covers by Jacen Burrows, a Carnage Wraparound cover by German Nobile, and a special Gilded Retailer Incentive Cover also by Burrows.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180HEY MISTER: COME HELL OR HIGHWATER PANTS (GN)

STK637290.jpg?width=150Publisher: TOP SHELF PRODUCTIONS

Writer/Art/Cover: PETE SICKMAN-GARNER

Mature/$14.95

Meet Satan. After eons of ruling the underworld, he's sad as Hell and can't take it anymore. So why not skip town and check out "the air up there"? He can shack up with old pals Mister, Young Tim, and Aunt Mary -- but we all know slacker roommates can lead to friction in the long term. Meanwhile, Jesus Christ is wrestling with his own midlife crisis, not to mention the world's biggest daddy issues. With Satan's time on earth running out, and Hell breaking loose in his absence, it's time for a road trip down below! Can our heroes save a sinner's soul without pissing off the Powers That Be?

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180HIGH SCHOOL DEBUT 3-IN-1 VOL 2 (TPB)

STK637135.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: KAZUNE KAWAHARA

All Ages/$14.99

When Haruna and Yoh start dating, their path to true love is filled with obstacles - awkward dates, a manipulative sister, and even a vengeful nemesis! Through it all, Haruna's determination keeps her going! But when Yoh's ex-girlfriend shows up, how will she handle the competition?

The idea of making your “debut” in high school is one I’ve come across a few times. I gather the idea is that a kid who for whatever reason wishes to change whatever their image was in elementary school “debuts” their new image in high school.  I assume this only works if no one from your old school goes to your new one.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180KLINGON ART OF WAR (HC)

STK635386.jpg?width=150Publisher: ANDREWS MCMEEL

Writer: KEITH R.A. DECANDIDO

All Ages/$25.99

Klingons fight, but they do not merely fight. For Klingons, battle is a dance, a way of living with dignity and purpose. This is central to the concept at the heart of the warrior culture: honor. The Klingon Art of War lays out the principles of the Klingon code that animates their entire culture. Each chapter introduces another part of the Klingon ethic and explores the ways it informs Klingon life, behavior, and history. Each chapter also celebrates famous Klingons, warships, and battles, and the role they've played in advancing the Klingon Empire. Passed down from the time of Kahless, ten precepts have shaped Klingon culture and indoctrinated Klingons in the Way of the Warrior. With this new translation, people from all walks of life-and all worlds-can harness the ancient Klingon wisdom and learn to embody courage, discipline, and honor.

As an old Trek fanboy, this is one of those things that I would’ve snapped up once upon a time. However, for 26 bucks, I shall have to wait and see if this one ends up in the cheapie bin.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180LIBERATOR EARTH CRISIS #2

STK636082.jpg?width=150Publisher: BLACK MASK COMICS

Writer: MATT MINER, EARTH CRISIS

Art: JAVIER SANCHEZ ARANDA

Cover: ROD REIS

Mature/$3.99

When Sarah Mann takes a crappy custodial job at a cosmetics lab, she discovers cold-blooded scientist Dr. Elena Reznik's secret facility where illegal vivisections are performed on live, conscious animals. Inspired by the stories of Jeanette and Damon's animal liberations, Sarah pulls on her own mask and sets out to rescue the tortured animals. Different sides of the same story are told in the simultaneously released comic book and concept album by hardcore legends Earth Crisis.

Evidently, there was in fact a band named Earth Crisis. And despite their being involved in comics here, the name had nothing to do with JLA/JSA team-ups. Darn it!

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180LUCKY LUKE VOL 45: TYING THE KNOT (TPB)

STK636089.jpg?width=150Publisher: CINEBOOK

Writer: LAURENT GERRA

Art/Cover: ACHDE

All Ages/$11.95

Time for the Daltons to try on a different kind of ball-and-chain! Urgent message for the Dalton brothers: the president has approved a special measure to combat overpopulation in the country's prisons. They're going to be hanged! Their last hope lies in a little known law that would see them walk free if they were to marry. A frantic Ma Dalton tries to locate brides for her boys, but their reputation precedes them, and the only candidates she eventually locates could well turn out to be a worse choice than the rope!

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180MIDNIGHT SECRETARY VOL 5 (GN)

STK637131.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: TOMU OHMI

Mature/$9.99

After Kaya's contract with Erde ended, Kyohei hired her to be his executive secretary at his new company, LVC. Working openly day and night with the man she loves is a dream come true for Kaya, but the honeymoon is short-lived. Mariko, the daughter of one of the LVC executives, has a long history with Kyohei and is determined to renew their special friendship. Can love conquer family ties and vampire politics?

“Vampire politics”? Surely everyone just does whatever the head vampire says?

Maybe he needs to get elected first?

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180NARUTO 3-IN-1 VOL 8 (TPB)

STK637139.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: MASASHI KISHIMOTO

All Ages/$14.99

Orochimaru's nefarious plans for Sasuke are revealed, and Naruto vows to save his friend. But first he and the others must battle the mysterious Kimimaro, who has deadly past ties to the Sound Ninja Four! Kankuro, Temari and Gaara unexpectedly aid Konohagakure against the Sound Ninja. But what is behind this rekindling of the Leaf and Sand alliance?

“The Sound Ninja Four” would be a good band name.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180NECROMANTICAL #1

STK633500.jpg?width=150Publisher: ARDDEN ENTERTAINMENT

Writer: MASSIMO ROSI

Art/Cover: STEFANO CARDOSELLI

All Ages/$3.99

The next sci-fi phenomenon starts right here! In a near-future world where global pollution is killing humanity, only the wealthy can survive thanks to the transplant of artificial organs, leaving the other 99% to die slowly, painfully. Clive Sparks is a policeman in search of a missing young girl taken by a gang of organ traffickers. He also happens to be the first hybrid experiment of a human crossed with a robot, and he is looking for the truth at any cost. In a world on the edge of catastrophe, a half-artificial police man may just be the only hope for the whole human race.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180NISEKOI FALSE LOVE VOL 3 (GN)   

STK637138.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: NAOSHI KOMI

All Ages/$9.99

When Chitoge transfers into Raku's class, they're forced into a false love relationship to keep the peace between their feuding gangster families. Everyone at school's fooled by their act -- even Raku's crush, Onodera! Raku wants Onodera to know the truth, but he just can't seem to find a way to tell her. Meanwhile, the ever-vigilant Claude sends his protege Tsugumi to watch over Raku and rescue Chitoge from his evil intentions. What chance does Raku stand against a highly trained assassin?!

“False Love Relationship” would also be a good band name.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180OTOMEN VOL 18 (GN)  

STK637132.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: AVA KANNO

All Ages/$9.99

For the sake of his mom, Asuka turns away from his friends and Ryo... But the unimaginable happens when Asuka's friends stage an intervention at his graduation! With everything on the line, how will things end for our beloved otomen?!

Apparently, the title, "Otomen" is a pun made of the Japanese word otome (乙女), meaning "young lady" or "mistress", and the English word "men".  From what I have read, the protagonist is jock who secretly likes very “feminine” things. The Japanese are by all accounts very big on wordplay of this sort.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180PANDORA BOX VOL 4: GREED (GN)    

STK636099.jpg?width=150Publisher: CINEBOOK

Writer: ALCANTE

Art/Cover: JUSZEZAK

Mature/$11.95

John Midas is a financial genius. For years he's made a killing on the stock market. He's one of the richest men on earth; on Wall Street, he's a legend. The only thing he loves more than money is his daughter, who lives a simple life away from his gold-plated world. Now Midas has his eye set on Brazil and its currency -- but fate may not let him pull off his scheme without extracting a steep price.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180PHANTOM THIEF JEANNE VOL 2 (GN)   

Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: ARINA TANEMURA

Teen/$10.99

Devastated by Chiaki's deceit, Maron decides to cut him out of her life and never to rely on anyone. After the announcement is issued that Phantom Thief Jeanne intends to steal another painting, Maron goes missing, leaving the painting for Phantom Thief Sinbad to take. Has Maron now turned her back on being Phantom Thief Jeanne too?

I think I’d turn my back on being Phantom Thief Jeanne, too.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180POKEMON ADVENTURES VOL 22: RUBY SAPPHIRE (GN) 

STK637128.jpg?width=150Publisher: PERFECT SQUARE

Writer/Art/Cover: HIDENORI KUSAKA

All Ages/$9.99

As the battle between Legendary Pokemon Groudon and Kyogre rages on, so does the battle to control the orbs that control them. Then, when tragedy strikes, long hidden secrets are revealed, and Ruby comes to a profound realization.

Now, what role will Ruby's secret sixth Pokemon play in turning things around ...?

“Ruby comes to a profound realization.” 

“Maybe there’s better things to do in life than chase around after Pokemon”?

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180PSYREN VOL 16 (GN)   

STK637137.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: TOSHIAKI IWASHIRO

All Ages/$9.99

In this final volume, Ageha's fellow Psionists and the Elmore Wood gang attack W.I.S.E’s capital to rescue their friends, and Kyle and the others find themselves in a desperate struggle for their lives against the Star Commanders. Fortunately, the long lost Oboro appears just in time, as do Matsuri and Kagetora, who have finally made it to Psyren. As the melee intensifies, Ageha confronts Miroku Amagi alone to settle the score once and for all.

I think  it would be more interesting if they fought the Elmore Leonard gang.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180RANMA 1/2 2-IN-1 VOL 2 (TPB)   

STK637142.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: RUMIKO TAKAHASHI

All Ages/$14.99

Contains volumes 3 and 4!

Being a martial artist, Ranma just can't resist the call to combat and takes on one opponent after another: Ryoga, a lone-wolf fighter with no sense of direction; Shampoo, a Chinese Amazon who has pledged to kill him; and finally Shampoo's suitor Mousse, a martial arts master of hidden weapons. Is there such a thing as TOO much fighting spirit?

I read this series years ago. It wasn’t bad, although it did tend to have a limited series of gags that it trotted out in rotation. To be fair, lots of comics are like that.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180REVELATIONS #5

STK639358.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: PAUL JENKINS

Art/Cover: HUMBERTO RAMOS

Mature/$3.99

What once began as a murder investigation has taken on a life of its own. Detective Charlie Northern has gotten too close to the truth and the people he cares for the most have been taken out of the equation. With nothing left to lose, Northern will stop at nothing to find out the truth behind the murder and the secrets buried within the Vatican.

So this is where Paul Jenkins ended up. I bet he was hoping this would be his Walking Dead.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180REX ZOMBIE KILLER #4   

STK635759.jpg?width=150Publisher: BIG DOG INK

Writer: ROB ANDERSON

Art/Cover: DAFU YU

All Ages/$3.50

Rex the Golden Retriever and his pack of gorillas, pit bulls and squirrels have reached their so-called "safe place," but Rex's human is a prisoner. Will the animals survive a showdown with the soldiers running the bunker?

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHAHRAZAD #5    

STK632571.jpg?width=150Publisher: BIG DOG INK

Writer: KARI CASTOR, KIM HUTCHISON

Art/Cover: MIKE KROME

All Ages/$3.50

The Sirens return for revenge against the captor, Janus, and Shahrazad and her crew are caught in the middle!

That name is only one "A" off from being Shaharazad of Arabian fable fame. I wonder why the change? Surely Shahararazad is in the public domain.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180SIXTH GUN #40    

STK637849.jpg?width=150Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

Writer: CULLEN BUNN

Art/Cover: BRIAN HURTT

All Ages/$3.99

Fleeing the town of Brimstone, Drake, Becky and their allies are pursued by a relentless Jesup. Fueled by Griselda's magic and his own rage, Jesup is nigh unstoppable! The unexpected outcome of this encounter will change the fate of the Six forever!

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180STROBE EDGE VOL 10 (GN)  

STK637134.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: IO SAKISAKA

All Ages/$9.99

Ninako loves Ren, but seeing Ando get hurt while protecting her makes her feel sad and confused -- to the point where she turns Ren down when he confesses his love for her! Has Ninako lost her chance with Ren? Or will they find a way to be together?

Where does Stimpy fit into all this?

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUGAR BOOGER #2    

STK633481.jpg?width=150Publisher: ALTERNATIVE COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: KEVIN SCALZO

All Ages/$5.95

Your favorite candy booger makin', candy booger eatin' bear is back! This time around he's distraught over the environment! That's right, something is polluting his beloved countryside, and he's dismayed to find out: It's his own candy boogers that are stinking and littering up the place something foul! But don't worry there's still plenty of time for candy eating and boogers!

Even as a lad I would have been disgusted by the concept of sugar boogers. Perhaps today's lads are made of sterner stuff.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUICIDE RISK #13    

STK639361.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: MIKE CAREY

Art: ELENA CASAGRANDE

Cover: STEPHANIE HANS

All Ages/$3.99

While it was supervillain Requiem who stood trial for crimes against humanity, it was beat cop Leo Winters who paid the price. Now with the horrifying truth coming out, it's up to Leo's daughter Tracey to find away to save her family ...and hopefully even herself ...

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180THORGAL VOL 15: CAGE (GN)  

STK636092.jpg?width=150Publisher: CINEBOOK

Writer: JEAN VAN

Art/Cover: GRZEGORZ ROSINKSI

All Ages/$11.95

No such thing as a simple, happy homecoming for Thorgal! It is time at last for Thorgal to return to his family. After her rescue by Jolan however, Aaricia is not staying idle, and she tries to put together a fleet to attack Shaigan's stronghold, unaware that her husband is no longer the dreaded pirate lord. By the time the two find themselves on their own island again, Aaricia is disinclined to simply forgive everything, and locks Thorgal up in a cage while she makes up her mind about him.

I keep hearing about Thor Gal, but I never see her! Where is she? When does she show up? (I bet she's hot!)

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180USAGI YOJIMBO VOL 3: WANDERERS ROAD (TPB)

Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: STAN SAKAI

All Ages/$16.99

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180VAMPIRE KNIGHT VOL 18 (TPB)    

STK637133.jpg?width=150Publisher: VIZ MEDIA LLC

Writer/Art/Cover: MATSURI HINO

All Ages/$9.99

Yukio and Zero team up to go after Kaname. Yuki and Kaname fight each other in the headquarters of the Hunter Society while Sara tries to control Zero through her blood. The female progenitor's origin metal intervenes, and Yuki realizes there is only one way to stop Kaname ...

“Yuki realizes there is only one way to stop Kaname ...”

Her handy Bat-Kaname-Repellent Spray?

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180WHITE LAMA (HC)

STK635931.jpg?width=150Publisher: HUMANOIDS INC

Writer: ALEJANDRO JODOROWSKY

Art/Cover: GEORGES BESS

Mature/$39.95

Alexandro Jodorowsky (The Metabarons, The Incal) partners with artist Georges Bess (Son Of A Gun) to tell a tale of mystical adventure, martial arts and spiritual awakenings. Tibet at the end of the 19th century, when the Grand Lama Mipam dies, corruption spreads across the land. Gabriel, the child of white explorers, is raised by natives after his parents' deaths, and is soon chosen as the reincarnation of the Grand Lama. He will have to learn the sacred ways, and defeat his own personal demons, to fend off a great evil and save the country from destruction.

I guess it's only a matter of time before White Lama and Green Lama team up and find the Black, Blue, Indigo, Orange, Red, Violet and Yellow Lamas.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180WOODS #1

STK639387.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: JAMES TYNION IV

Art: MICHAEL DIALYNAS

Cover: RAMON K. PEREZ, MATTHEW WOODSON

All Ages/$3.99

WHY WE LOVE IT: As fans of James Tynion IV's work in the Batman universe (BATMAN ETERNAL, RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS), we were eager to publish his first original comic series. Plus, THE WOODS gives us that same eerie, small-town horror feel we get whenever we read a Stephen King novel.

WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT: If you're fan of teen conspiracy comics like MORNING GLORIES, SHELTERED, and REVIVAL, you'll immediately be sucked into THE WOODS.

WHAT IT'S ABOUT: On October 16, 2013, 437 students, 52 teachers, and 24 additional staff from Bay Point Preparatory High School in suburban Milwaukee, WI, vanished without a trace. Countless light years away, far outside the bounds of the charted universe, 513 people find themselves in the middle of an ancient, primordial wilderness.

Where are they? Why are they there? The answers will prove stranger than anyone could possibly imagine.

1936298320?profile=RESIZE_180x180WWE ONGOING #4    

STK633347.jpg?width=150Publisher: SUPER GENIUS

Writer: MICK FOLEY

Art: ALITHA MARTINEZ

Cover: JOLYON YATES

All Ages/$3.99

"Last Ride." The stage is set for an all out battle royal in the streets of Titan City as CM Punk rallies the people to the streets, Randy Orton attempts one last desperate move to win the support of the citizenry, and John Cena is on the verge of uncovering who framed him and stole the ten million dollars. One man may prove to be the difference maker -- The Undertaker. Whoever wins the dead man to their side could wins the heart and soul of Titan City.

This reply was deleted.