Comics Guide for Nov. 6, 2013

Let's try something new this week: Let's lead with the comics the publishers are most proud of, judging by the press releases and previews. They're not really my picks, even though I plan to pick up a number of them, as it's the publishers who are bringing attention to them. So let's call them ...

PUBLISHER PICKS!

'68 HALLOWED GROUND ONE-SHOT

In my never-ending quest to provide you, dear Legionnaire, with all the knowledge necessary to make your comics purchases, I have expended my precious, irreplaceable time (although not my precious, irreplaceable money) boning up on as many of this week's releases as I could.

To that end I read the available review copies of '68, which happened to be the last two issues of the mini-series that preceded this one-shot, '68: Jungle Jim #3-4. And what I discovered there is pretty much what I expected: '68 is a zombie apocalypse story set, weirdly, during the Vietnam War.

And it's actually a lot better than I expected, in that it's not exactly an apocalypse. It's what you'd expect if the dead came back to life under The Walking Dead rules: It's a problem, sure, but it's (literally) not the end of the world. Groups of disciplined, heavily armed men -- like, say, the U.S. Army and the Viet Cong -- do all right vs. the undead. (I also expect that American South and Rocky Mountain states would do all right, too, what with so many ordinary citizens armed to the teeth. We haven't seen that yet in '68 that I know of, but maybe we will with this one-shot, which is set in Mississippi.) I've felt this way since I first started reading The Walking Dead, and realized that those slowly shambling, brainless monsters wouldn't really be a match for the U.S. Army, especially given how a bunch of Georgia rednecks have managed to survive them for more than 100 issues now. Are you telling me Rick and his crew are better warriors/survivors from the get-go than the U.S. Marines? Give me a break!

So '68 scratches an itch I've had for a while that other zombie stories haven't.  Which, honestly, is a pretty low bar, given how many zombie books there are currently. Take that as you will.

Anyway, what makes this issue special is that artist Josh Medors passed away during this book's production, and this one-shot is dedicated to him. Plus, there's a Berni Wrightson variant cover, which is very cool. Plus plus, there's a screen print to benefit the Medors family.

All this info came across in various press releases which I've tried to stitch together, but there's still a lot of it, so I'll just post it all and let you read as much as you're inclined to.

Story MARK KIDWELL

Art JOSH MEDORS, KYLE CHARLES & JAY FOTOS

Cover A JOSH MEDORS, NAT JONES & JAY FOTOS

Cover B BERNIE WRIGHTSON, NAT JONES & JAY FOTOS

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

THIS SPECIAL ONE-SHOT IS DEDICATED TO THE LATE JOSH MEDORS AND HIS FAMILY — A SPECIAL STORY FOR A SPECIAL FRIEND.

In ‘68, the Vietnam War coincided with the rise of flesh-eating zombies. American G.I.s were forced to contend with not just the Viet Cong, but the fact that every fallen ally and enemy soon turned into an entirely new, mindless, and nearly unstoppable threat.

The setting changes from Vietnam to Streiner, Mississippi in February, 1968 in ‘68: HALLOWED GROUND. A passenger train derails as a result of a zombie attack, causing the death of hundreds. Survivors of the wreck find sanctuary in a small rural church, hoping to hold out against the coming swarms of living dead. Their only hope rests on the shoulders of two soldiers, both recently returned from Vietnam. One sits in the belfry, taking out zombies from afar, while the other defends the barricaded sanctuary against the onslaught. But will their efforts be enough?

Comics artist Josh Medors passed away late last year after a years-long battle with cancer. ‘68: HALLOWED GROUND is a very special one-shot comic dedicated to his memory and family. Written by Mark Kidwell and drawn by Medors, Kyle Charles, and Jay Fotos, the issue features a wraparound cover by Medors, Nat Jones and Fotos, and a special guest cover by horror comics legend Bernie Wrightson.

Wrightson is a legend in the comics industry and beyond for his work co-creating Swamp Thing and drawing a wide variety of classic horror comics. Artist Jay Fotos explains the one-shot, and Wrightson’s contribution:

"A unique storyline, told from two separate POVs, the ‘68 series' return to the grim American Heartland, covers by artists Josh Medors, Nat Jones, myself and very special guest cover artist, master of the macabre BERNIE WRIGHTSON make ‘68: HALLOWED GROUND a milestone in horror comics history!"

‘68: HALLOWED GROUND is not only dedicated to the memory of Medors—it was the last book he worked on. Fotos is excited about the influence that Medors had on the one-shot:

"When comics artist and longtime friend Josh Med passed away last year, the book he was working on was ‘68: HALLOWED GROUND. Josh was a true fan of horror, loved zombies and was very excited to be working on a ‘68 title. You can see the passion and care Josh gave his work on the book in the startling imagery of his cover. In tribute and thanks to our friend, the entire '68 crew has worked diligently to ensure that every thumbnail and layout Josh produced went into the final look and feel of the book."

Special edition print to benefit the family of Josh Medors 

The creators of the Image Comics series ‘68 are proud to present a limited collector's edition print in memory of the late comics artist Josh Medors. A courageous survivor of a rare form of spinal cancer, Josh outlived his original prognosis by years before finally passing in 2012. The print is an 11"x17" double-sided glossy reproduction of the ‘68: HALLOWED GROUND one-shot cover image by Medors, with a matching back cover illustration by Nat Jones and Jay Fotos. Printed at full production size, this print is limited to only 100 copies, and comes hand-numbered and signed in pencil by ‘68 series founders Mark Kidwell, Nat Jones, and Jay Fotos. It ships in a protective rigid Mylar sleeve and will be available worldwide. To honor their friend and colleague, the ‘68 creators are donating all proceeds from the sale of the print to Medors' wife Charlotte and son Garth.

The ‘68: HALLOWED GROUND benefit print is available for purchase at http://68zombie.acmeprints.com/josh-medors-benefit-print/ and costs $40.00.

Here's a couple of press releases announcing the sell-out of Afterlife with Archie #1, a second printing for issue #1 (out this week), followed by a video. Yes, a video!

Archie zombie series receives colossal demand amongst fans and retailers

NEW YORK - October 14, 2013 - Afterlife with Archie, the brand new ongoing series written by Harvey award winning writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Stephen King's The Stand) and Eisner award winning artist Francesco Francavilla (Black Beetle) sold out in less than 5 hours at Diamond and will be immediately going back for a 2nd printing.

The highly anticipated horror series dominated New York Comic Con and has received rave reviews from notable comic and news sites including THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, USA TODAY, HUFFINGTON POST, FANGORIA MAGAZINE, IGN, COMIC BOOK RESOURCES, NEWSARAMA, BLEEDING COOL, BLOODY DISGUSTING and many more.

"It is blood-soaked and wonderful" -- Complex Magazine

"Afterlife With Archie #1 not only surpasses expectations, it's one of the few truly scary comics in recent memory" -- Comic Book Resources

"A genuinely terrifying horror comic that looks absolutely stunning" -- IGN

It's everything about Archie taken to this moody, blood-soaked extreme, and Francavilla's art hits that note with absolute perfection" -- Comics Alliance

"Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa bridges the world of horror and Archie in a way you never thought possible" -- Comic Vine

Series artist Francavilla created a special cover for the 2nd printing of Afterlife With Archie #1. The debut issue was the fastest selling Archie comic of all time and is Archie's first direct market only series ever, taking the Archie characters in a dark, horror inspired direction.

**Archie Comics urges consumers to order Afterlife With Archie #1 and future issues through their local comic shop as the series has already generated buzz from all corners of the media and will continue to do so in the coming months with more sold out issues anticipated.

Afterlife with Archie, the most anticipated new horror series of 2013, is exclusively available at your local comic shop and digitally on the Afterlife with Archie App.

Afterlife with Archie #1 sells out, returns with new printing

Archie Comics is proud to announce the selling out of AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE #1, the debut issue of the ongoing horror series by Harvey award-winning writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Stephen King's The Stand) and Eisner award-winning artist Francesco Francavilla (Guardians of the Galaxy). The most talked about launch of the year, Afterlife with Archie explores what would happen if the zombie apocalypse began in Archie's hometown of Riverdale and the results are horrifying.

The issue has received widespread coverage from THE ASSOCIATED PRESS, DEADLINE, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER, TODAY, NEW YORK TIMES, NEW YORK DAILY NEWS, HUFFINGTON POST, ABC NEWS, MSN, LA TIMES, USA TODAY, COMPLEX MAGAZINE, MTV, BUZZFEED, YAHOO NEWS, FANGORIA MAGAZINE, BLOODY DISGUSTING, COMIC BOOK RESOURCES, NEWSARAMA, BLEEDING COOL, and many more.

Afterlife with Archie owes this victory to its loyal fans, the supportive retailers who jumped on board, plus the deadly combination of the creative team Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa and Francesco Francavilla for making this a tremendous success.

"Working with Roberto and Francesco on Afterlife has been an incredible experience," said Archie Comics Publisher/co-CEO Jon Goldwater. "Our expectations at Archie are always extremely high but the work they've done in bringing Afterlife with Archie alive has exceeded them. Thank you to all the retailers and fans for supporting Archie's first ever direct market only comic book."

Aguirre-Sacasa is also scripting the highly publicized live-action Archie feature film, previously announced in DEADLINE. Francavilla won an Eisner last year for best cover artist in part for his work on Archie Meets KISS, which lead to the creation of AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE.

From Archie Comics. Shocking Second Printing - with a new Francesco Francavilla Cover! New Ongoing Series! "Escape From Riverdale." This is how the end of the world begins! Harvey Award-winning writer Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa (Archie Meets Glee) and Eisner-winning artist Francesco Francavilla (Batman) take Archie and the gang where they've never been before - to the grave and back! A horrific accident sets off a series of grim events and Sabrina the Teenage Witch must try to repair the unspeakable evil her spell has unleashed. Gasp in horror as Riverdale faces an impending zombie Arch-pocalypse in this brand-new, spine-tingling ongoing series - but be warned, kiddies, this one's not for the faint of heart!

Afterlife with Archie, the most anticipated new horror series of 2013, is exclusively available at your local comic shop and digitally on the Afterlife with Archie App.

ALEX + ADA #1

I'm on the fence on this one, because the Luna Bros. are only 50/50 with me. I loved Girls at first, but over time the story just kinda went south for me, and the ending left me cold. But I loved Ultra from start to finish. Then came The Sword, which I started buying and then lost interest. 

What do you guys think? Read the poop below and let me know.

Story JONATHAN LUNA & SARAH VAUGHN

Art / cover  JONATHAN LUNA

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

After three years away from comics, Jonathan Luna (GIRLS, THE SWORD, ULTRA, Spider-Woman: Origin) is back, drawing and co-writing ALEX + ADA with Sarah Vaughn (Sparkshooter). In this near-future tale, Alex is attempting to recover from a setback in his life and return to normal. Ada, a Tanaka X5 and the latest and greatest model of companion android, comes into his life. She lives to serve, as long as her programming allows it, but does he want to be served?

The world of ALEX + ADA gives us a glimpse of what our own future may be like. It features a thriving robotics industry, alarm clocks that are floating holographic displays, breakfast served by floating robots, and normal human beings who are able to control their home electronics with a thought. Vaughn says that readers can expect "drama, humor, love, loss, and more robots than you can shake a stick at" in the series.

Luna took a break from comics after the finale of THE SWORD, producing an illustrated prose book named STAR BRIGHT AND THE LOOKING GLASS in the interim, but he’s excited to be back at the drawing board. "It’s so great. I feel like I’ve lost some time, but at the same time I’ve learned so much in the past few years from photography, painting, Star Bright, and life experiences. I’m reinvigorated and I feel so fortunate to be working in comics."

When asked to describe their working relationship, Vaughn said, "It looks a lot like Misery. I ended up having to hobble Jon. All kidding aside, we’ve been able to reach a good balance between our friendship and creative partnership." Luna, too, praises his co-writer: "Sarah is a good friend first and I never would’ve guessed that we’d be working together in this capacity. I’m very glad that we’re able to. It’s all been a very pleasant surprise."

Both creators debuted ALEX + ADA in an interview on Comic Book Resources, discussing both Luna’s break from and return to comics, the research required for ALEX + ADA, and their working process. Follow both creators on Twitter: @jonathanlunacom and @sarahvictoriav.

AMAZING X-MEN #1

Apparently, enough Nightcrawler fans have clapped their hands, and the elf is back. Naturally, that calls for a new series, and a new first issue. Here's the solicitation:

JASON AARON (W) • ED MCGUINNESS (A/C)

Blank variant also available

VARIANT COVER BY KEVIN NOWLAN

Nightcrawler variant by Milo Manara

Sketch variant by Ed McGuiness

Variant by Skottie Young

Deadpool variant by TBD

An AMAZING new era for the X-Men starts here! Ever since his Nightcrawler’s death in X-MEN: MESSIAH COMPLEX, the X-Men have been without their heart and soul. After learning that their friend may not be gone after all, it’s up to WOLVERINE, STORM, BEAST, ICEMAN, NORTHSTAR and FIRESTAR to find and bring back the fan favorite fuzzy blue elf! Super star artist ED MCGUINNESS (HULK) joins master X-Writer JASON AARON (WOLVERINE AND THE X-MEN, X-MEN: SCHISM) to bring you the most exciting comic on the stands!

Here's the press release:

To save a fallen companion, the X-Men must attempt a daring rescue mission from beyond the grave!

What would you do to save a fallen friend? This November, in the wake of Battle of the Atom, Wolverine must assemble the X-Men’s finest to attempt a daring rescue in Amazing X-Men #1, a swashbuckling new series from red-hot writer Jason Aaron and blockbuster artist Ed McGuinness!

The X-Men are through mourning the loss of Nightcrawler, the “heart and soul” of their family – it’s time to act! Wolverine must lead Storm, Beast, Ice Man and more on an epic journey to recover one of their greatest allies – in a story that’s been building since Wolverine and the X-Men #1!

“AMAZING X-MEN is the newest can’t miss X-Men book.” says Senior Editor Nick Lowe. “Two creators at the top of their game, fully committed, bringing back possibly the best X-Man ever… and that’s just the first arc! Just wait until you see what Jason and Ed have up their sleeves!”

Deadly foes! Swashbuckling adventures! Plenty of little blue Bamfs! How far will the Amazing X-Men go to rescue one of their own? And what price will they pay? Find out just how far this November when Nightcrawler returns in Amazing X-Men #1!

AMAZING X-MEN #1 (SEP130740)

Written by JASON AARON

Art & Wraparound Cover by ED MCGUINESS

FOC – 11/06/13 On-Sale 10/14/13

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

You know, I'll just skip over the "revolving door of death" debate. What's the point? It's flagrantly obvious that nobody really dies in comics any more, and Nightcrawler was a pretty popular character at one point, and he starred in one of the movies, so his return was inevitable.

I was never a big Kurt Wagner fan, back when he was alive the first time. He was all right, you know, but not one of my favorites. However, I can think of a number of people (hi, Fluit family!) who are probably kicking up their heels. And good for them!

So let's give Kurt a big ol' "Welcome back, bub." And somebody tidy up Charles Xavier's room, all right? I'm sure he'll be needing it soon.

Meanwhile, here are the preview pages:

TRANSFORMERS DARK CYBERTRON #1

The Transformers cartoon was after my time, in that I was a grown-up by the time it hit Saturday morning. But I understand better than most that what we love as kids stays with us forever, so for those of you in the sweet spot for Transformers, here's some robot-y goodness for you.

Further, it looks like actual progress in the Transformers saga, as their are hints that this storyline may even result in a Decepticon and Autobot team-up. I'm not Transformer expert to know if that's new, but it sure sounds new. And superstar Phil Jimenez (Wonder Woman) is part of the show!

Anyway, here's the solicit/press release:

(W) James Roberts, John Barber

(A) Phil Jimenez & Various

(CA) Phil Jimenez

$3.99

THE END OF EVERYTHING!

Darkness falls on the AUTOBOTS this November in the comic book event Transformers: Dark Cybertron! This series pushes the TRANSFORMERS characters to their limits, but they’ll have the help of some creative superstars on their journey. Joining writer and IDW senior editor John Barber and fan-favorite scribe James Roberts in a top-secret meeting earlier this year, the artistic force of Phil Jimenez helped plan Dark Cybertron from the start! “I’ve been a fan of the TRANSFORMERS brand since I was 13,” said Jimenez, “and this was a fanboy dream come true. The beauty of this story is it plays to the strengths of the characters and to my strengths as a storyteller; epic, world-shattering scale as well as those beautiful character moments that make readers care about a bunch of giant ‘Robots in Disguise.’”

The war between the AUTOBOTS and DECEPTICONS is over—but when the relentless SHOCKWAVE enacts a scheme millions of years in the making, yesterday’s nightmares tear apart today’s peace. “OPTIMUS PRIME, RODIMUS, BUMBLEBEE, even STARSCREAM—all these characters believed war was behind them, for better or worse,” says Barber. “The big question—other than who will survive—is whose side will the DECEPTICONS be on?”

The twelve-part series starts in Transformers: Dark Cybertron #1, then alternates between the monthly TRANSFORMERS titles Robots In Disguise and More Than Meets The Eye, concluding in a finale issue in March. This is the first time that both Transformers series have crossed over. “It’s thrilling to see the two casts crash back into each other’s lives,” says Roberts. “Fittingly, given the scale of SHOCKWAVE’s ambition, this is a massive, galaxy-spanning story—and one that shakes everything up.”

Co-written by Roberts and Barber, superstar artist Phil Jimenez provides layouts and covers for issue one, and variant covers for the whole series—as well as doing the art for the GENERATIONS action figure releases from Hasbro and planning the event from day one! Jimenez is joined by a who’s-who of Transformers artists, including Robots in Disguise series artist Andrew Griffith, who provides finished art on the lead-off issue. According to Jimenez, “the script for #1 was probably one of the best I’ve worked from in years. Totally awesome stuff —I just hope people don't mind me butting in and adding my own two cents (or three) to this super cool universe. I think it all worked out pretty seamlessly, actually!”

This is an exciting time to be a fan of Transformers, with multiple series from IDW, fantastic toys and more from Hasbro. In that spirit, and in an unprecedented publishing move, Dark Cybertron comic books will be included in select GENERATIONS action figure releases from Hasbro, following their initial release from IDW. This is the first time that an entire mega-event has been distributed in such a way. “TRANSFORMERS fans are some of the most loyal and dedicated—but many of them have never seen our comics,” says Barber. “Dark Cybertron will introduce these fans to the world of comics—and we can’t wait to bring these new readers into the fold.”

PROTECTORS INC #1

This one doesn't excite me as the rest. I've kinda cooled on Straczynski's work, beginning with the tepid "The Other" and the inexcusable "Sins Past" in Amazing Spider-Man and continuing into the present. And I can't say I'm excited about yet another re-examination of the superhero genre from yet another angle. I think I've seen just about all of them.

But don't let me stop you if you're interested -- and if you pick it up, let me know if I'm missing anything! And first chance I get I'll read a review copy and let you know if my mind changes.

Story J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

Art GORDON PURCELL & MIKE ATIYEH

Cover A GORDON PURCELL & MIKE ATIYEH

Cover B WHILCE PORTACIO & MIKE ATIYEH

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

What's it like to be a hero in a world without villains? In PROTECTORS, INC., the life of a superhero is wonderful, thanks to a bevy of corporate sponsors, an adoring public, polite rivalries, sports franchises, and best of all, no super-powered bad guys to worry about. Wonderful, that is, until a hero is murdered in such a way that the only possible culprit is an unknown person with superpowers, throwing the status quo into upheaval. PROTECTORS, INC. comes from a place of deep appreciation for genre fiction.

"I've always loved superhero stories told from the bottom-up, from the point of view of ordinary people caught up in extraordinary circumstances, between people with massive amounts of power that can be used for good or ill," says Straczynski. "The book is a twelve-issue maxiseries, a superhero story crossed with a mystery and a procedural police story, and should be a fun read for folks interested in any one of those three genres."

The latest project from writer J. Michael Straczynski (TEN GRAND, SIDEKICK, RISING STARS) and artist Gordon Purcell (Star Trek: The Next Generation/Doctor Who, The X-Files), PROTECTORS, INC. focuses on Lieutenant Detective John Riley's search for the truth behind the murder of a being that shouldn't have been able to be murdered by anyone. Nothing is as it seems, however, and Riley's case will lead to a fifty-year-old secret, love affairs, and possibly even more death.

Purcell is equally excited and ready to unleash PROTECTORS, INC. on the world.

"Protectors, Inc. is one of the best projects I've ever worked on! Joe's script (I have all 12 issues here!) is fantastic and fascinating, and I feel like I'm drawing on all my comic experience to flesh out the Protectors world. I'm so jazzed to be able to share this project with the fans! Dig in--this is tasty stuff!"

PROTECTORS, INC. #1 features two separate covers. Cover A features art by Gordon Purcell and Mike Atiyeh, while Cover B features art by Whilce Portacio and Mike Atiyeh.

QUANTUM AND WOODY #5

Here's another one I'm trade-waiting, and I'm as excited for this one as much as I was for Archer & Armstrong -- and for much the same reasons. In the old Valiant, both A&A and Q&W managed to mix a huge dollop of humor with the heroics, and the new series are doing much the same. So count me in!

Anyway, judging by the cascade of press releases, which I've edited together, Valiant is pretty proud of this one. In addition, there are four covers, and a preview. Enjoy!

Written by JAMES ASMUS

Art by MING DOYLE

Cover by ANDREW ROBINSON

Pullbox Exclusive Variant by LEE GARBETT

Variant Cover by DAVID LOPEZ

Variant Cover by MIKE McKONE

$3.99 / T+ / 32 pgs.

All-new arc, all-new jumping-on point! All-new…problems?

Valiant is proud to present an advance preview of Quantum and Woody #5 – the FIRST ISSUE of "In Security," an all-new story arc from award-winning writer James Asmus (Thief of Thieves, Gambit) and fan favorite artist Ming Doyle (Mara)! Start reading here on with an all-new arc, an all-new jumping-on point, and all-new…problems?

Imbued with unpredictable new superpowers in the wake of an energy experiment gone wrong, Eric and Woody Henderson have just had their lives turned upside down – and they need to "klang" together every 24 hours or else their atoms will disperse. So what do you do when the most annoying person in your life is also the only thing keeping you alive? You move in with him! And his goat. And his barely legal clone girlfriend. Besides, every team of heroes needs a secret headquarters…and this one has a slightly used hot tub. Plus: Quantum gets a job – and meets his first true blue super-villain!

Before they can rid the night of evil, the world's worst superhero team takes on a junior two-bedroom, only in Quantum and Woody #5!

Fan favorite artist and rising star Ming Doyle (Mara, Guardians of the Galaxy Infinite – Rocket Raccoon) is joining writer James Asmus and colorist Jordie Bellaire as the newest member of the world's worst superhero team!
As revealed by Comic Book Resources, Asmus, Doyle and Bellaire will make their joint debut in November's Quantum and Woody #5 – launching the next installment of the MUST READ VALIANT initiative with an all-new new story arc and easily accessible entry point for the wildly acclaimed superhero series about two estranged foster brothers struggling with their newfound superpowers...and no responsibilities whatsoever.

"Quantum and Woody's going to be my first chance to do a superhero action comedy buddy-cop type thing… It's going to be really different, but I'm looking forward to the opportunity to play with these characters because they're so funny," Doyle told CBR. "I really want to get into more physical acting with them and exploring body language, and all of that goofiness… This is going to be really fun."

Find out why friends don't let friends have sidekicks when Ming Doyle teams-up with Quantum and Woody #5! Start reading here when MUST READ VALIANT delivers an all-new arc, an all-new jumping-on point, and all-new problems for the world's worst superhero team in comic shops everywhere on November 6th!

And look for Quantum and Woody Vol. 1: The World's Worst Superhero Team – the first trade paperback collection of the series that IGN calls "freaking glorious" – in stores same day and specially priced at just $9.99!

For more information on Quantum and Woody and the rest of the Valiant Universe, visit Valiant on Facebook, on Twitter and at ValiantUniverse.com.

Attention fans and retailers: Look for the Quantum and Woody Vol. 1 TPB in stores the same day! Intro priced at only $9.99!

'A Treasury of XXth Century Murder MADISON SQUARE TRAGEDY: The Murder of Stanford White' by Rick Geary

This series has been so excellent, from its start as "A treasury of 19th Century Murder" to present, that there is no way I'm going to miss one of these, EVER. Rick Geary is simply a national treasure.

Stanford White is one of New York’s most famous architects having designed many mansions and the first Madison Square Garden. His influence on New York’s look at the turn of the century was pervasive. As he became popular and in demand, he also became quite self-indulgent. He had a taste for budding young showgirls on Broadway, even setting up a private apartment to entertain them in, including a room with… a red velvet swing. When he meets Evelyn Nesbit, an exquisite young nymph, cover girl, showgirl, inspiration for Charles Dana Gibson’s “The Eternal Question” and for the later movie “The Girl in the Red Velvet Swing,” he knows he’s on to something special. However, Evelyn eventually marries a young Pittsburgh decadent heir with a dark side who develops a deep hatred for White and what he may or may not have done to her, setting up the most scandalous murder of the time.

“TOP TEN COMICS FOR FALL. No season would be complete without the latest in Rick Geary’s ongoing series of 20th-century murders: with elegant, unsettling penwork, Madison Square Tragedy: The Murder of Stanford White tells the notorious story of architect Stanford White, who was murdered by a jealous husband in a theater atop the original Madison Square Garden.” – Heidi McDonald, Publishers Weekly

6×9, 80pp, B&W clothbound, $15.99

DARK HORSE

BALTIMORE: INFERNAL TRAIN #3

“If you’re a fan of Mignola, then you’ll definitely enjoy Baltimore.”–Geeks of Doom

I am a fan of Mignola, and as I said last week, I do enjoy Baltimore. The same rule would apply to any of you. It's a RULE!

Mike Mignola (W), Christopher Golden (W), Ben Stenbeck (A/Cover), and Dave Stewart (C)

FC, 32 pages, $3.50

Miniseries

Baltimore jumps aboard the Infernal Train and fights high-priest vampires and an evil witch to stop them from resurrecting a vampire god.

• From Hellboy creator Mike Mignola!

“Golden and Mignola understand . . . well-told spook story spun out in dramatic segments by shadowy characters in seedy settings.” – PopMatters

CATALYST COMIX #5

JOE CASEY REWRITES THE RULES OF (SUPER)COMICS!!!

Joe Casey (W), Paul Maybury (A), Ulises Farinas (A), Dan McDaid (A), Brad Simpson (C), and Paul Pope (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $2.99

Miniseries

Catalyst Comix is getting hot, with another 32 pages of pure superhero swagger! Amazing Grace discovers a deep, dark secret! The Agents of Change bust some sick moves! And newly enlightened Franks Wells’s public bed-in becomes a fight with more than just pillows! It’s three times the super!

“Writer Joe Casey seems bent on exploring the seedier side of life in his work these days.” –Comic Book Resources

• Cover by Paul Pope (100%, Batman: Year 100)!

• Artists Dan McDaid (Doctor Who), Ulises Farinas (Gamma), and Paul Maybury (Aqua Leung)!

• Three story lines for the price of one!

“I have seen the future of superhero comic books, and it's called Catalyst Comix.” -- Comics the Gathering

“I think the artist line-up alone sells the book for me.”–Joe Casey, writer

How closely related is this to the "World's Greatest Comics" version? Not that it needs to be for me to enjoy it; I'm just curious.

GRINDHOUSE: DOORS OPEN AT MIDNIGHT #2

EXCESSIVE, GRATUITOUS, AND TASTELESS, JUST AS IT SHOULD BE!

Exactly. I'm not reading this book, because excessive, gratuitous and tasteless isn't my thing, but if you call something Grindhouse, it MUST be excessive, gratuitous and tasteless. I quite insist.

Incidentally, I'm not grossed out by the suggestion of insect eating on this cover (although that, too, is not my thing). I am kinda grossed out by the purple-and-green tongue, though. That's just nasty.

Alex de Campi (W), Chris Peterson (A), Nolan Woodard (C), and Dan Panosian (Cover)

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

Just because Grindhouse #1 was the most messed-up comic you’ve read this year, don’t think #2 can’t top it! The bee vixens’ queen is ten feet of pissed-off buzzing stinger, and the only one left to stop her is shotgun-wielding, motorcycle-straddling Deputy Garcia. Good thing she don’t take no bull!

• Eisner nominee Alex de Campi (Smoke, Ashes) is a writer to watch in 2013!

MICHAEL AVON OEMING'S VICTORIES #6

(W/A) Michael Avon Oeming (CA) Nick Filardi, Andrea Wicklund

With all superheroes ordered to internment camps until research can prove that they aren't a diseased risk to humanity, and one of the world's most powerful heroes now a mind slave to mysterious powers, who will stand to save humanity from the shadowy group taking over the world?

$3.99

OCCULTIST #2

(W) Tim Seeley (A) Mike Norton (CA) Allen Passalaqua, Steve Morris

Introducing the Providences! A trio of Catholic school students who dabble in the occult-and they take our hero on a wild and dangerous out-of-body trip that is literally out of this world! How far will they go, in search of the ultimate high?

$3.50

PLANTS VS ZOMBIES: LAWNMAGEDDON HC

The hit zombie video game—now a hit comic!

Paul Tobin (W), Ron Chan (A/Cover), and Matthew J. Rainwater (C)

FC, 80 pages, $9.99

HC, 6” x 9”

The confusing-yet-brilliant inventor known only as Crazy Dave helps his niece, Patrice, and young adventurer Nate Timely fend off a “fun-dead” neighborhood invasion in Plants vs. Zombies: Lawnmageddon! Winner of over thirty “Game of the Year” awards, Plants vs. Zombies is now determined to shuffle onto all-ages bookshelves to tickle funny bones and thrill . . . brains.

• The first Plants vs. Zombies comic book!

• Collecting all Plants vs. Zombies digital comics into one nifty hardcover!

• Tobin and Chan take us on an original Plants vs. Zombies adventure!

STAR WARS #3

(W) J. W. Rinzler (A) Mike Mayhew (CA) Ran Beredo, Nick Runge

A Queen steps down! The Hidden Fortress destroyed! The Imperial army on the march!

Annikin Starkiller and Princess Leia rescue two wayward droids in the desert, Darth Vader recruits a famous Knight of the Sith to his army, and a squad of lazersword-wielding Stormtroopers attempt to arrest Jedi General Luke Skywalker!

$3.99

I see they're not calling this THE Star Wars any more, although I don't know why.

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #25

Written by GREG PAK

Art and cover by AARON KUDER

1:25 B&W Variant cover by AARON KUDER

40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

This BATMAN: ZERO YEAR tie-in features the reintroduction of a major character! A cocky young Superman battles the forces of nature to save Gotham City, while a woman from his past tries to do the same thing on a smaller scale. But both are headed for a collision course...

With Morrison gone, I'm contemplating not buying this any more in trade. Is anyone sampling it currently, and if so, what do you think? Pak was pretty good on his Incredible Hulk/World War Hulk run, so I could be talked into it.

ALL-STAR WESTERN VOL 3: BLACK DIAMOND PROBABILITY

Written by JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by MORITAT, PHIL WINSLADE and STAZ JOHNSON

Cover by ARIEL OLIVETTI

176 pg, FC, $16.99 US

In these stories from issues #0 and 13-16, Someone has stolen the Black Diamond that Doctor Jekyll uses to create his infamous potion! Now it’s up to Jonah Hex to track it down! Plus: Find out how Hex got his famous scars!

Trade-waiting, and can't wait. Oh, Gray & Palmiotti, can you  do no wrong?

BATMAN BLACK & WHITE #3

BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE #3

Written by LEE BERMEJO, RIAN HUGHES, DAMION SCOTT, PAUL DINI and MARV WOLFMAN

Art by LEE BERMEJO, RIAN HUGHES, DAMION SCOTT, STEPHANE ROUX and RICCARDO BURCHIELLI

Cover by OLLY MOSS

48 pg, B&W, 3 of 6, $4.99 US • RATED T

It’s another spectacular selection of adventures by some of comics’ top talents, with tales of The Dark Knight by Lee Bermejo, Marv Wolfman and Riccardo Burchielli, Rian Hughes, Damion Scott, and Paul Dini and Stephane Roux.

BATMAN: NIGHT OF THE OWLS TP

Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, TONY S. DANIEL, PETER J. TOMASI, JUDD WINICK, DUANE SWIERCZYNSKI, GAIL SIMONE, SCOTT LOBDELL, KYLE HIGGINS, JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by GREG CAPULLO, JASON FABOK, TONY S. DANIEL, DAVID FINCH, PATRICK GLEASON, TRAVEL FOREMAN, ARDIAN SYAF, KENNETH ROCAFORT, GUILLEM MARCH and others

Cover by GREG CAPULLO

368 pg, FC, $19.99 US

In these stories from BATMAN #8-9, BATMAN ANNUAL #1, DETECTIVE COMICS #9, BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT #9, BATWING #9, BATMAN AND ROBIN #9, RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #9, BIRDS OF PREY #9, BATGIRL #9, NIGHTWING #8-9 and ALL-STAR WESTERN #9, evil spreads across Gotham City as Red Robin, Batwing, Robin, Batgirl, the Birds of Prey, Nightwing and even Catwoman find themselves in a battle coming from all sides.

Honestly, if you haven't read this, you should.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN #5

Written by GREG PAK

Art and cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND

1:25 Variant cover by JON BOGDANOVE

1:100 B&W Variant cover by BRETT BOOTH and NORM RAPMUND

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Combo pack edition: $4.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for more information.

When the new Toymaster uses a secret, potentially deadly element in his new video game, the characters created by players manifest in real life! The ultimate fighting game results—and a world-wide network of players must team up to create the most powerful, skilled Super Heroes imaginable with one goal: To kill Batman. Can Superman come to the rescue before the game claims its victim? Find out in this amazing issue that’s printed in a special horizontal storytelling format.

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

BATWING #25

Written by JUSTIN GRAY and JIMMY PALMIOTTI

Art by EDUARDO PANSICA and JULIO FERREIRA

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

A BATMAN: ZERO YEAR tie-in! As Gotham City descends into chaos, young Luke Fox is the only one who can stop one of his classmates from causing more destruction—but he didn’t count on his friend being so… VENOMOUS!

I am amazed and heartened that a superhero book starring an African-American has made it through its second year. I guess the bat doesn't hurt, but that can't be all of it.

And there's Gray & Palmiotti again, still doing no wrong.

DC COMICS ESSENTIALS JUSTICE LEAGUE #1

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

64 pg, FC, $1.00 US • RATED T

The issue that kicked of DC Comics—The New 52 is reprinted in this promotionally priced special! Don’t miss the start of the story that brought together Batman, Green Lantern, and the rest of the Justice League!

DETECTIVE COMICS #25

DETECTIVE COMICS #25

Written by JOHN LAYMAN

Art and cover by JASON FABOK

1:25 B&W Variant cover by JASON FABOK

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

A BATMAN: ZERO YEAR tie-in! James Gordon confronts the corrupt elements in the G.C.P.D.—and the vigilante known as Batman!

This issue is also offered as a combo pack edition with a redemption code for a digital download of this issue.

DJANGO UNCHAINED HC

(W) Reginald Hudlin, Danijel Zezelj (A) R. M. Guera & Various

The seven-issue comics adaptation of the Oscar-winning movie by Quentin Tarantino is now collected in hardcover! Don't miss this blood-soaked tale of a bounty-hunting dentist and his partner Django, a recently freed slave, as they search the post-Civil War South for Django's wife!

$24.99

I read a smattering of this book in monthly form and was intrigued enough that I'm going to read the HC. I didn't see the movie, so it's all new to me!

EARTH 2 #17

Written by TOM TAYLOR

Art by NICOLAS SCOTT and TREVOR SCOTT

Cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

1:25 Variant cover by DOUG MAHNKE

1:100 B&W Variant cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Batman fights to keep Brutal and the forces of Darkseid from taking complete control of Earth! Beginning a new story by Tom Taylor (INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US)!

So is Batman going to take over this book, too, even if it's not the original Dark Knight? That's a bummer, but I do like the new color scheme. And, frankly, he might be more interesting than the timid and tepid revamp we've gotten so far. (I'm a little disappointed, can you tell?)

And I'm guessing this guy is Earth 2's Thomas Wayne (Bruce's brother in a few variant stories), without a single reason to believe that.

FOREVER EVIL #3

Written by GEOFF JOHNS

Art and cover by DAVID FINCH and RICHARD FRIEND

1:25 Villain A cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

1:25 Villain B cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

1:25 Villain C cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

1:200 B&W Variant cover by DAVID FINCH and RICHARD FRIEND

32 pg, FC, 3 of 7, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with six covers. Please see the order form for more information.

The first universe-wide event of The New 52 continues to explode across the DC Universe! With the world under the rule of the mysterious and deadly Crime Syndicate and our greatest heroes dead, it’s up to the unlikeliest of defenders to rise up to save us—humanity’s only hope—Lex Luthor?! Plus, a startling revelation about the dark secret of the Syndicate’s mission on Earth—and what it means for the future of the DC Universe and its heroes and villains.

Some on this board have complained about heroes fighting heroes too much lately, so here's a switch: Villains fighting villains. Which always made more sense to me anyway. THEY ARE NOT PEOPLE PERSONS! Of course they would fight -- over turf, money, prestige, women, men, power, all kinds of things. And not just when the world's invaded by super-criminals. In fact, I've always kinda wondered why Lex Luthor hasn't been quietly offing villains who might someday pose a threat to his plans. Come to think of it, maybe he's been doing that all along, and he's so good at it we never knew!

FRACTION TP

(W) David Tischman (A) Timothy Green (CA) Tomer Hanuka

All six issues of the cult-favorite 2004 series are collected in this new edition of the collection! FRACTION stars four tough young men from Philly's mean streets who pull off a drunken robbery. What they end up stealing is a high-tech suit of battle armor. How far will each of them go to use the armor for his own purposes?

$17.99
This is a "cult favorite"? Really?

GREEN ARROW #25

Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art and cover by ANDREA SORRENTINO

1:25 B&W Variant cover by ANDREA SORRENTINO

A BATMAN: ZERO YEAR tie-in! He’s just returned from the island and must try to find his place in the world! Now, Oliver Queen becomes Green Arrow for the first time as he battles Killer Moth in Gotham City!

I completely lost interest in this character when The New 52 de-aged him and put him back in charge of Queen Industries. I wasn't always happy with how the middle-aged Green Arrow was written, but at least he had a definable past, and one that had clearly shaped him. He wasn't just a character, he had character, etched in every line on his weather-beaten face. Now we just have another wet-behind-the-ears character learning the superhero ropes. Again. Seriously, do we have to watch GA make the same mistakes all over again? Or will they simply be new mistakes? Either way, it feels too much like a rerun.

GREEN LANTERN #25

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by BILLY TAN and ROB HUNTER

Cover by BILLY TAN

1:25 B&W Variant cover by BILLY TAN

Combo pack edition: $3.99 US

Retailers: This issue will ship with three covers. Please see the order form for more information.

The shockwaves of “Lights Out” are just starting to be felt, as Hal Jordan makes a controversial decision that will change the mission of the Green Lantern Corps! But not everyone agrees with Hal’s goals, and the dissent could weaken the Corps further!

I have no idea where this is going, as I haven't finished "Lights Out" yet. And that's a good thing.

HINTERKIND #2

Written by IAN EDGINTON

Art by FRANCESCO TRIFOGLI

Cover by GREG TOCCHINI

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

Having left the sanctuary of their Central Park village, Prosper and Angus find “the wild” lives up to its name as they run for their lives from the cannibal troll who lives under the Queensboro bridge. Meanwhile, on the West Coast, the Queen of the Sidhe, the first family of the fair folk discovers her daughter Tersia has more than a passing interest in her crown. When you’re near immortal and almost ageless, advancement via assassination is the only way to get ahead.

I read the first issue of this and went, "eh." The premise is more or less the same as a half-dozen other post-apocalyptic titles, especially Gold Key's Mighty Samson. You know the drill: It's decades after the end of the world, most of the planet is overrun with plants and mutant animals, and we follow a group of survivors trying to restart civilization in -- OF COURSE -- what used to be Manhattan. (Despite the fact that in virtually any end-of-the-world scenario, NYC would get it first and worst.)

One interesting aspect is (SPOILER!) the advent of mutants that look and talk like fairy-tale characters, raising the possibility that this is actually taking place in the distant past, not our future, and somehow civilization repeated itself and we somehow retained racial memories of cannibal giants who say "Fe Fi Fo Fum."

Nah. That would be more interesting, so they probably aren't going to do it.

JUDAS COIN TP

Written by WALTER SIMONSON

Art and cover by WALTER SIMONSON

104 pg, FC, $14.99 US

The acclaimed graphic novel from legendary writer/artist Walter Simonson shows how one of the silver coins Judas was paid to betray Jesus has had an impact on the DC Universe, with chapters starring the Golden Gladiator, (A.D. 73), the Viking Prince (A.D. 1000), Captain Fear (1720) and Bat Lash (1881). In the centerpiece of the book, Batman faces Two-Face in an epic, present-day battle before the story blasts into the future for a final chapter set in the year 2087 starring Manhunter 2070!

I have a negative review of this somewhere in the REVIEWS section. I'm on a clock so I'm not going to find it and link it up, but you know it's there if you want to read it.

JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA VOL 1 HC

(W) Geoff Johns & Various (A) David Finch & Various (CA) David Finch

Green Lantern! Green Arrow! Catwoman! Katana! Vibe! Hawkman! Stargirl! They aren't the world's greatest Super Heroes-they're the most dangerous! But why does a team like the JLA need to exist? What is their ultimate mission? And who is pulling the strings? Find out in this collection of the first five issues of the new series as the team takes on the Secret Society of Super-Villains!

$24.99

I doubt it's on purpose, but it's interesting how many of the characters in this lineup wear secondary colors. You know, villain colors.

MOVEMENT #6

Written by GAIL SIMONE

Art by FREDDIE WILLIAMS III

Cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+

As the Graveyard Faction terrorizes Coral City, the Movement is nowhere to be found!

Haven't read this yet. Any recommendations? The lack of Spandex is actually a plus, believe it or not.

SANDMAN OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

(W) Neil Gaiman (A) Jill Thompson & Various

In this second SANDMAN OMNIBUS, Delirium prevails upon the Sandman to help her find their errant brother, Destruction. But their quest will lead to a painful reunion between Morpheus and his son, Orpheus. Then, the Sandman and others are trapped in a mysterious inn while a tempest rages-and all they can do to while away the time is tell the stories of their lives. And when a young woman's baby is stolen, she turns to The Kindly Ones for vengeance, only to set off a series of events that will lead the Sandman to his ultimate fate, and the baby to find a destiny no one could have foretold.

This massive tome collects THE SANDMAN #38-75, plus stories from VERTIGO JAM #1 and VERTIGO: WINTER'S EDGE #3.

$150.00

SCOOBY DOO WHERE ARE YOU #39

Written by HEATHER NUHFER

Art by ROBERT POPE and SCOTT McRAE

Cover by SCOTT NEELY

32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

Shaggy and Scooby weren’t excited about the Dog Show, but when some of the pooches go missing, the gang has to solve the mystery. And Scooby’s not just AT the Dog Show—he’s going to be a contestant!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• STORMWATCH #25

1936119024?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JIM STARLIN

Art by YVEL GUICHET and

LeBEAU UNDERWOOD

Cover by JIM STARLIN and ROB HUNTER

Midnighter recalls the final pieces of his and Apollo’s origin just as the Lobo and the Stormwatch team are getting their faces kicked in by The Exec!

Starlin is writing this now? That's interesting to see, but I'm still not inclined to pick it up, as Starlin only seems to have one or two stories in him that he repeats on a loop. And even if it was Neil Gaiman writing it, I probably still wouldn't read it. Stormwatch has only had a couple of interesting aspects to it in its now 20-year history, which were effectively neutered when it was re-launched in The New 52. It's now just an entirely superfluous superhero team book in a landscape littered with them. And it doesn't help that it stars parody homage versions of Superman and Batman, since we have the real thing over in Justice League.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #4

1936121150?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by SCOTT SNYDER

Art and cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

Backup story art by DUSTIN NGUYEN

1:300 B&W Variant cover by JIM LEE and SCOTT WILLIAMS

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with eleven covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Superman rushes to stop Ascension’s attack and kicks off a huge battle with Wraith! Besieged on all sides, Superman has no choice but to call in some powerful friends...

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180SWAMP THING #25

1936126546?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by CHARLES SOULE

Art and cover by JESUS SAIZ

The evolution of Swamp Thing that began in SWAMP THING ANNUAL #2 is complete! But is it enough to defeat Seeder, who is so much more than he seems? Plus: A twist ending that will reshape Swamp Thing’s world!

I just finished the Rotworld saga, and I'm still enjoying this version of Swampy. A lot of that is due to Jesus Saiz, though. I really like his work.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRILLIUM #4

1936126847?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art and cover by JEFF LEMIRE

32 pg, FC, 4 of 8, $2.99 US • MATURE READERS

Everything Nika and William thought they knew is thrown into question as the world of Trillium is twisted inside out. New universes emerge in the wake of last issue’s shocking ending, and William and Nika find themselves more lost than ever!

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRINITY OF SIN THE PHANTOM STRANGER #13

1936128044?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by J.M. DeMATTEIS

Art by FERNANDO BLANCO

Cover by GUILLEM MARCH

Months ago, The Question came close to ending the Stranger’s life—and now the Stranger wants some payback!

I do not like this Phantom Stranger, Sam I am.

He's a jerk, and deserves everything that happens to him. It's OK for a lead character to be a jerk, but there should be some angle or aspect that makes the reader empathize with him. But frankly, I empathize more with Magneto than this guy. At least Magnus has something he believes in outside himself. This guy is entirely unsympathetic and I hope he croaks.

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180IDW PUBLISHING

COMICS ABOUT CARTOONISTS LTD SKETCH ED HC

1936129783?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A) Jack Kirby & Various (CA) TBD

Commission an artist for your one-of-a-kind cover, or even create your own, on the special blank sketch cover edition of this unique book! Comics about cartoonists, by some of the best cartoonists in history!

1801255650?profile=RESIZE_180x180CROW MIDNIGHT LEGENDS VOL 5: RESURRECTION TP

1936129944?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Jon J. Muth (A) Jamie Tolagson, Tommy Lee Edwards (CA) Kyle Hotz

Eric Draven returns as the Crow. Volume 5 reprints the Image Comics series issues #1-4, including the stories "Resurrection," "Shadows," "Death," and "The Line Between The Devil's Teeth." Written by Jon J Muth with art by Jamie Tolagson and Tommy Lee Edwards.

$17.99

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180DANGER GIRL/G.I. JOE RED LABEL ED HC

1936131247?profile=RESIZE_320x320(W) Andy Hartnell (A) John Royle

This Red Label edition of Danger Girl/G.I. Joe is signed by co-creators J. Scott Campbell and Andy Hartnell and series artist, John Royle.

Wait, what? Are the Danger Girl and G.I. Joe concepts related somehow? If not, why is IDW packaging them together?

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180DOCTOR WHO 3 VOL 03: SKY JACKS TP

1936131327?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Andy Diggle, Eddie Robson (A) Andy Kuhn (CA) Mark Buckingham

The TARDIS has recently been on the fritz, but now it has gone completely out of control and the Doctor is nowhere to be found! Meanwhile, white holes have been forming throughout time and space, sucking in everything around them. What does the Hypothetical Gentleman have to do with it all?

$17.99

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180DOCTOR WHO PRISONERS OF TIME #10

1936133725?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) David Tipton, Scott Tipton (A) Elena Casagrande (CA) Francesco Francavilla, Dave Sim

Our yearlong celebration of Doctor Who's 50th anniversary continues! Brilliant! The Tenth Doctor takes the spotlight in this issue of a 12-part epic adventure featuring all 11 incarnations of the Doctor. The Doctor brings Martha to 1950s Los Angeles and the Griffith Observatory to give her a glimpse of Gallifrey, but soon encounters a film crew whose members are mysteriously disappearing!

$3.99

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180GHOSTBUSTERS #9

1936136250?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Erik Burnham (A) Dan Schoening (CA) Dan Schoening, Ivan Barriga

"Devil's Night" -- When he died, Stingy Jack couldn't get into Heaven or Hell, and has wandered the Earth ever since. He's made his way to Manhattan, he's feeling malicious... and if the Ghostbusters can't stop him, he'll burn the city to the ground! It's the beginning of a busy season of horrifying holidays for our heroes -- HAPPY HORROR DAYS starts here!

$3.99

It's amazing to me that what I considered a mildly amusing movie 29 years ago has somehow become a franchise. I'm guessing it's the cartoon more than the movie that imbedded it in at least one generation's pop-culture landscape. But, geez, there's just not a lot of there there, you know?

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180GI JOE COBRA FILES #8

1936138752?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Mike Costa (A/CA) Antonio Fuso

THE HOUSE ALWAYS WINS - PART 2! TOMAX makes his move... and no one on the COBRA FILES team will be prepared for the sinister plan the Crimson Twin unleashes. Trapped and cornered in their own facility, will FLINT, CHAMELEON and the rest of the team make it out alive?

$3.99

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180JEFF SMITH BONE GREAT COW RACE ARTIST ED HC

1936141128?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A/CA) Jeff Smith

Jeff Smith's Bone was launched through Cartoon Books in 1991. Winning 10 Eisner Awards (while being nominated for another 11), Bone is one of the most successful and critically acclaimed independent comic book series of all time. Now, IDW Publishing presents The Great Cow Race, one of Smith's most well regarded tales, in the award-winning Artist's Edition format. Featuring the entire Bone clan-Fone, Smiley and Phoney-as well as Gran'ma Ben and Thorn, and, of course, those stupid, stupid Rat Creatures! Don't miss what promises to be one of the finest Artist's Editions of the year!e

Despite numerous enthusiastic recommendations, I just can't get into Bone. I even have that huge book that collects the whole thing on my bookshelf, but haven't managed to get more than a few pages into it. Just not my thing, I guess.

But I'm glad this is here for those that like it, and it seems there are a lot of you out there!

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180JUDGE DREDD CLASSICS #5

1936143593?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) John Wagner, Alan Grant (A) Carlos Ezquerra (CA) Jim Fern

"Apocalypse War" rages on in vibrant new color! Will East-Meg One release the citizens of Mega-City One from the clutches of Block Mania? And will Dredd be able to cut the Sovs off in time to keep them from infiltrating the south?

$3.99

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180MY LITTLE PONY QUEEN CHRYSALIS

1936143648?profile=RESIZE_320x320(W) Katie Cook (A/CA) Andy Price

My Little Pony: The Return of Queen Chrysalis is the biggest book in IDW Limited's history. Available in six different cover and case variations modeled after the core cast of the hit TV show, with one of six new core cast members offered each week. Limited to 50 copies, the Black Edition includes: a hand-drawn sketch plate and sketch card featuring Twilight Sparkle - two pieces of original art in each copy; a limited-edition, custom-designed tray case, hardcover portfolio and exclusive cover all themed around Twilight Sparkle; a mounted signature page signed by Katie Cook & Andy Price; and an Twilight Sparkle lithograph featuring artwork by Eisner Award nominee Sara Richard.

There are multiple variations of this, focusing -- at least on the cover -- on various major characters. I didn't bother putting all the covers up here, because life is too short. If you're into this, you'll find them.

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180MY LITTLE PONY RARITY LIMITED ED COMICFOLIO

1936145766?profile=RESIZE_320x320(W) Katie Cook (A/CA) Andy Price

Rarity is in need of some well-deserved R & R after working hard on her new fashion line. A sweet spa retreat turns sour when Rarity learns that the establishment is a little too "down to earth"! How will this resourceful pony make the best out of this "rustic" situation? Read on to find out! The Comicfolio is a new way to collect and treasure your favorite titles and contains a special edition, variant cover comic book & lithograph protected in a hand-built hardcover portfolio that's been die-cut and finished with a sparkle glitter treatment. Limited to 500 copies.

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180STAR TREK ONGOING VOL 1: RED LABEL ED HC

1936148046?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Mike Johnson (A/CA) Stephen Molnar, Joe Phillips

Collects the first four issues of the ongoing IDW series in a prestigious limited-edition format, featuring a set of EIGHT exclusive lithographs, in a custom slipcase!

Oooooh, slipcase. That tempts me sorely.

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRANSFORMERS MORE THAN MEETS EYE 100 PENNY PRESS #1

1936148173?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) James Roberts (A/CA) Nick Roche

Rediscover the beginning of the ultimate TRANSFORMERS saga, for only a buck! The first issue of the epic quest from the fan-favorite creative team behind Last Stand of the Wreckers!

$1.00

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• IMAGE COMICS

APHRODITE IX VOL 1: REBIRTH TP

1936114680?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story MATT HAWKINS

Art / cover STJEPAN SEJIC

144 PAGES / FC / T+ / $9.99

TOP COW’S FAVORITE EMERALD-HAIRED ASSASSIN RETURNS!

Hundreds of years after a cataclysmic event scorched the surface, Earth and its inhabitants have been forever altered and a new landscape and political struggle has taken hold between two distinct factions fighting for control. Aphrodite IX is both anachronism and advanced technology in a world that she no longer recognizes. To survive in this future, she must choose sides in a war that she wants no part in.

Collects APHRODITE IX #1-6.

I just read issues #2-5, and wasn't overly impressed. It's a decent comic book, mind you, professionally executed and visually attractive. But the post-apocalyptic world it's set in is fairly by the numbers (authoritarian cyborgs vs. royalty-ruled animal-human hybrids), with neither side being entirely sympathetic. And Aphrodite herself, in the first arc, was working for one team but technologically compromised by the other -- and since that meant committing murder, it was pretty hard to warm up to her. (The first arc ends that scenario, and it's unclear what the new status quo will be.)

Still, as I said, it's a very pretty book and might scratch an itch for those who enjoyed Image's early days.

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180BLACKACRE  VOL 2 TP

1936115013?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story DUFFY BOUDREAU

Art WENDELL CAVALCANTI & ANTONIO FABELA

cover BRIAN CHURILLA

152 PAGES / FC / M / $14.99

“FAMILY PLANNING”

After finding an unlikely home amongst the holy warriors of Sacred Yoke, Hull and Lee must prove their loyalty — and when Hull’s sent on a reconstruction mission, he learns the true price of the church’s charity. Meanwhile, two assassins approach from the south, seeking to track down the BlackAcre deserters and eliminate the evidence of the original mission once and for all.

Collects BLACKACRE #6-11

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180CYBER FORCE #7

1936115302?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Marc Silvestri (A) Marco Turini (CA) Marc Silvestri

"KILLJOY RETURNS!" Part Two

Killjoy has been released. But who should fear her most? The newly reformed Cyber Force, or her creators?

$2.99

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180DRUMHELLAR (PREVIOUSLY STRANGEWAYS) #1

1936117502?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936119531?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story ALEX LINK

Art RILEY ROSSMO

Cover A RILEY ROSSMO

Cover B ROC UPCHURCH

32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

When shock-induced visions drive a detective specializing in the paranormal to a small town in South Dakota, he finds himself up against flesh-hungry bog-men, his ex-girlfriend, their mutual ex-girlfriend (did we mention she’s a werewolf?), and a demon that’s stolen his arsenal of psychedelics. Then things start to get weird. We live in strange times. They call for strange ways!

1801218904?profile=RESIZE_180x180EAST OF WEST #7

1936119570?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art NICK DRAGOTTA

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.50

“THE QUEST”

Death begins his great hunt, lines are drawn among the chosen, and the Ranger picks up the scent of his prey.

I just read issues #3-6, and believe me, coming into a Hickman book in media res is not an easy task!

Still, it's as imaginative as you'd expect with Hickman at the helm. The story is, essentially, Death (of the Four Horsemen) falling in love with a human woman and defecting, with the other three try to track him down and ... I dunno, kill him? That doesn't seem conceptually possible. So I'm fuzzy on that.

Meanwhile, we're in another post-apocalyptic scenario where San Francisco is now New Shanghai, the capital of an empire that sorta looks like Edo-era Japan or ancient China, only with futuristic technology. Which is where Death's girlfriend is (naturally) the daughter of the ruler. And they're fighting another group who ... honestly, I'm a little confused. I need to read those first two issues!

My own nitpick is that Hickman lifts a scene almost literally from Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, in which a computer is testing the reborn, blank-slate Spock's knowledge, which Spock answers flawlessly, but then the computer throws him by asking "How do you feel?" That same scene, used for the same effect, is repeated in East of West #3 or #4 on another character who is newborn and flawlessly knowledgeable but emotionally inexperienced. Hickman's too good a writer for that sort of petty theft, so it bugs me.

Anyway, I like it enough that I think I'll pick up the trade on a light week. If nothing else, just to figure out who's doing what to whom!

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180FATALE #18

1936121841?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Ed Brubaker (A/CA) Sean Phillips

NOMINATED FOR MORE 2013 EISNER AWARDS THAN ANY OTHER COMIC!

Everything goes wrong when Josephine appears in a Seattle band's music video, and her effect on those who desire her runs wild, as the most exciting arc of Fatale continues.

And remember, each issue of FATALE contains extra content, artwork and articles that are only available in the printed single issues.

$3.50

Even my wife is reading this one. Good stuff.

But is it me, or did the lead character gain about 50 pounds for this cover?

1801224342?profile=RESIZE_180x180GHOSTED #5

1936121944?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story JOSHUA WILLIAMSON

Art GORAN SUDZUKA & MIROSLAV MRVA

Cover SEAN PHILLIPS

32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

Winters escaped one prison only to find himself trapped in the Trask Mansion with the last of his team of ghost thieves. Will their first score also be their last? The first arc ends here!

I'm reading this, and really like it. I have no idea where it's going, or how the opening premise can turn into a going concern (which is the case -- this started as a miniseries but has become an ongoing). But the story is interesting, and I really love the art. Sudzuka has kind of a Jordi Bernet vibe going on, which is easy on the eyes.

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE VOL 1 TP

1936126467?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story PHIL HESTER

Art/cover TODD NAUCK & GABE ELTAEB

144 PAGES / FC / T+ / $16.99

In the aftermath of INVINCIBLE: THE DEATH OF EVERYONE, Dinosaurus has left his mark on the world. Can heroes from across the universe — Invincible, the Guardians of the Globe, Tech Jacket, the Astounding Wolf-Man, and more — contain the damage? Or are the end times of the Invincible Universe ahead?

Collects INVINCIBLE UNIVERSE #1-6

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180MANHATTAN PROJECTS VOL 3 TP

1936127803?profile=RESIZE_320x320(W) Jonathan Hickman (A) Nick Pitarra, Jordie Bellaire

Story JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art NICK PITARRA

"BUILDING"

What if the research and development department created to produce the first atomic bomb was a front for a series of other, more unusual, programs?

The acclaimed FEEL GOOD, BAD SCIENCE epic series now in one super educational package. It's THE MANHATTAN PROJECTS, VOLUME 3: BUILDING!

Collecting issues 11-15 of the world's most irreverent alt history book.

$14.99

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180MORNING GLORIES #34

1936129247?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story NICK SPENCER

Art JOE EISMA

Cover RODIN ESQUEJO

32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.50

"Left unsaid."

I guess I'm going to have to pick up some early trades and find out what's going in this series, because it doesn't seem to be going away. Must be good!

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180REALITY CHECK #3

1936129557?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story GLEN BRUNSWICK

Art / cover VIKTOR BOGDANOVIC

The evil Devil-Inside has captured Will, Alison, and Dark Hour — and his mood is good — which only means that he plans to kill again. Is it really possible for your worst nightmare to come to life... and murder you?

The premise of this story is of a comic-book artist whose creation -- a Batman type who shares his creator's loneliness and awkwardness with women -- comes to life and takes the creator on an adventure. (He even carts him around in the Amazing Fantasy #15 cover pose for several pages.)

I'm sorry, but this is like fan fiction.

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180SPAWN #237

1936129535?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story TODD McFARLANE

Art SZYMON KUDRANSKI

Cover TODD McFARLANE

COGLIOSTRO RETURNS!!!

But is it too late to save Jim Downing from his fate?

Al Simmons' old mentor returns to guide Jim in his journey to control the vast powers that haunt him. But Cog has already betrayed one Spawn. Is he sinister enough to do it again, or is there more to his motivations than simple greed?

The lessons that will shape Jim's future BEGIN HERE! Secrets that rest at the very core of the Spawn mythos are set to be revealed!

1801223007?profile=RESIZE_180x180

TEN GRAND #5

1936130010?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) J. Michael Straczynski (A) C. P. Smith (CA) Ben Templesmith

Joe Fitzgerald has crossed into Hell itself in an attempt to rescue Laura, the spirit of his murdered love who had been safely ensconced in Heaven (or someplace that looks a lot like it) before all the forces of Hell tore the veil to take her down into the depths of utter darkness.  But why would they take her?  Why would Heaven allow her to be taken?  And what's Joe going to do when he finally learns the secret behind her situation?  Be assured that someone's going down for this, and going down hard.

$2.99

This is pretty interesting, but I'm growing a bit weary of devils-vs.-angels stories. However, Templesmith is exercising some new muscles here I've never seen him use before, and sometimes this weird, sketchy style is genuinely striking. It's like a school art project come to life, which isn't altogether a bad thing.

• MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS WEST COAST OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

1936116360?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A) Various (CA) Carlos Pacheco

It's a case of the Wild West Coast Avengers as the Whackos are lost in space-time! But to get home, Hawkeye and pals will have to go even further back - to Ancient Egypt, and a mind-bending triple crossover with Dr. Strange and the Silver Age Fantastic Four! Meanwhile, Hank Pym faces a very personal crisis, which can only mean one thing: a new costumed identity! Moon Knight grabs a place in the sun, joining the team just in time for a Zodiac attack as two old faces return - one from the grave! But with her marriage at stake, can Mockingbird lay to rest a troubling ghost from her jaunt to the past? Collecting WEST COAST AVENGERS (1985) #17-41 and ANNUAL #2-3, AVENGERS ANNUAL #16, FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) #19, and DR. STRANGE (1974) #53.

$75.00

I never really bought into West Coast Avengers/Avengers West Coast, and after the success of the Iron Man films, I've finally figured out why. It's because somewhere in the back of my head, I didn't really believe anybody would take orders from Hawkeye, and especially Tony Stark wouldn't take orders from Hawkeye.

Now, I'm cognizant that before Robert Downey Jr., Iron Man wasn't an A-list character, and often played secondary roles in the Marvel Universe. And Stark was an off-and-on drunk during these issues, so he wasn't held in high esteem by the Avengers. (In fact, I think when the West Coast branch opened, he'd been tossed off the New York team by Captain America. Or was that when Force Works started? It all runs together after a while!) But even though Stark wasn't played as a captain of industry or leader of men at this particular juncture, some part of me felt that a guy with Stark's resume -- Forbes list billionaire, CEO of top 100 company, a guy who rubbed shoulders with presidents -- would not be the type of personality to take orders. And especially orders from a former carny who had been comedy relief for 20 years.

Once again, Hawkeye is back to playing comedy relief -- both on comics and in cartoons -- which I think is his natural role. Which is why I never could swallow him as a leader. (I am fully cognizant that others feel differently. And that, as they say, is what makes horse races.)

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180CAPTAIN AMERICA #13

1936116692?profile=RESIZE_180x180RICK REMENDER (W) • NIC KLEIN (A)

COVER BY CARLOS PACHECO

LOOSE NUKE PART 3

• The main event! Captain America vs Nuke with the lives of thousand, and a nation’s future, on the line.

• The Iron Nail rises again! The first appearance of Captain America’s newest arch-nemesis is not to be missed!

32 PGS./Rated T …$3.99

I was actually entertained by the first Marvel NOW! Captain America trade, despite the fact that I haven't cared for much of Remender's work. I am hopeful the trend will continue!

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180CAPTAIN MARVEL #17

1936118691?profile=RESIZE_180x180KELLY SUE DECONNICK (W) • FILIPE ANDRADE (A/C)

THOR BATTLE VARIANT COVER ALSO AVAILABLE

THE CAROL CORPS ISSUE!

• THE special oversized issue to end all oversized issues!

• In the aftermath of Enemy Within, Carol Danvers must rebuild her memories through the eyes of her biggest fan.

• Find out why this is such a fan-beloved series!

40 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

This is a "fan-beloved" series? Well, I hope so. I haven't much enjoyed it, and I really, really want to. I understand a re-launch is in the works, and I can only hope it corrects what I see as the flaws in this series.

1801211174?profile=RESIZE_180x180CATACLYSM: THE ULTIMATES LAST STAND #1 (of 5)

1936118824?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936119061?profile=RESIZE_180x180BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS (W) • MARK BAGLEY (A)

Cover by MARK BAGLEY

Variant Cover by Leinil Yu

THE BIGGEST ULTIMATE EVENT YET! MARVEL’S GALACTUS VS. THE ULTIMATES

• AGE OF ULTRON ripped a hole into the Ultimate Universe

• GALACTUS came through…hungry

• Is this the last stand of the Ultimate heroes?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

There's no Fantastic Four in the Ultimate universe to find the Ultimate Nullifier, so clearly there will be a different end to Galactus' first visit to Ultimate Earth. Could it be ... a fatal one?

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180DAREDEVIL BY MILLER AND JANSON OMNIBUS HC NEW PTG

1936119122?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Roger McKenzie & Various (A) Frank Miller, Klaus Janson (CA) Frank Miller

Frank Miller's spellbinding scripts and pulse-pounding pencils herald one of Daredevil's greatest eras, just in time for the Kingpin and Bullseye's efforts to rob the Man Without Fear of everything he holds dear! Featuring the first appearances of Elektra, Stick and the Hand! The daring discovery that drew Ben Urich into Daredevil's domain of darkness! And such forgotten-yet-formidable foes as Death-Stalker and the Gladiator! Guest-starring the Hulk, the Avengers, and Power Man and Iron Fist! Collecting DAREDEVIL (1964) #158-161 and #163-191, and material from WHAT IF? (1977) #28.

$99.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180DAREDEVIL DARK NIGHTS #6

1936121388?profile=RESIZE_180x180JIMMY PALMIOTTI (W)

THONY SILAS (A)

Cover by AMANDA CONNER

• Matt Murdock is brought to the Caribbean by a client fleeing persecution, and he’s got a new partner for this case – the Fearless Defender herself, MISTY KNIGHT!

• Daredevil legend Jimmy Palmiotti teams with rising star Thony Silas for the latest, greatest Dark Nights event: IN THE NAME OF THE KING!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

I have to say that this cover is enormously cute.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180THE EMERALD CITY OF OZ #4 (of 5)

1936126525?profile=RESIZE_180x180ERIC SHANOWER (W) • SKOTTIE YOUNG (A/C)

• Bunnies! Lots of bunnies! Including a King Bunny who doesn’t want to be a king.

• Babies! Babies in mortal danger! Including one baby almost crushed beneath the wheels of Ozma’s Red Wagon and another baby nearly torn to pieces by tigers and bears. Well, sort of.

• Then Ozma discovers the Nome Army’s impending invasion of Oz. Is Ozma too late to save her land from annihilation?

32 PGS./All Ages …$3.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180FANTOMEX MAX #2 (OF 4)

1936126776?profile=RESIZE_180x180ANDREW HOPE (w)

SHAWN CRYSTAL (a/C)

Cover by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

• Fantomex finds himself at the bottom of the ocean… in Antarctica?

• Vicious villains, kidnapping, and the end of the world.

• Then, someone releases the Kraken!

32 PGS./Explicit Content …$3.99

I've never cared a bit for this character, whose origin and abilities are confusing and who speaks in a worse Pepe LePew accent than Gambit. And speaking of Gambit, I think Fantomex is supposed to be another one of those "lovable rogues" that I don't find lovable at all. But, again, I know my opinion isn't universal.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180HAWKEYE VOL 1 HC

1936128007?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Matt Fraction (A) Various (CA) David Aja

The must-read, sleeper-hit book of 2012! Clint Barton - a.k.a. the self-made hero Hawkeye, breakout star of the Avengers film, fights for justice...and good rooftop BBQs! And with Young Avenger Kate Bishop by his side, it's double the Hawkeye and double the trouble as they battle Superstorm Sandy, digital doomsday, dog detectives, lady problems, murder for money, tracksuited killers and more! It's cars, guns and videotape as Matt Fraction and David Aja (IMMORTAL IRON FIST) reunite for this exciting, adventurous reinvention of the arrowed Avenger! Plus: Relive Kate's first meeting with Clint as she learns wanting something can be miles away from actually earning it. And most important, Pizza Dog gets his own story! Can he solve the grisly murder that shocked Team Hawkguy? Who knows! He's a dog! Collecting HAWKEYE (2012) #1-11 and YOUNG AVENGERS PRESENTS #6.

$34.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180IRON MAN #18

1936128096?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936110299?profile=RESIZE_180x180KIERON GILLEN (W) • JOE BENNET (A) • COVER PAUL RIVOCHE

METROPOLIS VARIANT BY HAJIME SORAYAMA

MARVEL’S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. VARIANT ALSO AVAILABLE

AN ALL NEW ARC BEGINS! “IRON METROPOLITAN” PART ONE!

• TONY STARK has returned from space with a vision of a better world.

• Who is his secret ally? What is his secret resource? Who on Earth would stop him?

• The MANDARIN is dead. He died at the end of Fraction’s run. There’s probably a reason why we’re mentioning it.

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Agent May is my favorite part of TV's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Just so you know.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180LONGSHOT SAVES MARVEL UNIVERSE #1-2 (of 4)

1936129956?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936130008?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHRISTOPHER HASTINGS (W) • JACOPO CAMAGNI (A)

Covers by DAVID NAKAYAMA

Deadpool photobomb variant by David Nakayama

• When someone is targeting the lucky for death, it won’t take long before the luckiest X-Man, Longshot, is in the killer’s sights. But things quickly go from bad to worse as super heroes, villains, all of S.H.I.E.L.D. and even COSMIC ENTITIES have it out for our boy!

• Is Longshot finally in over his head, or can he beat the odds and save the Marvel Universe when no one else can?

32 PGS. (EACH)/Rated T+ …$2.99 (EACH)

I'm wracking my brains to remember how Longshot was left at the end of X-Factor, because I think he remained in Mojoworld with Shatterstar. Perhaps this takes place before that.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL FIRSTS: THE 1980s VOL 1 TPB

1936130089?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by HOWARD CHAYKIN, DENNY O’NEIL, BILL MANTLO, TOM DEFALCO, BRUCE JONES, STEVEN GRANT, MARK GRUENWALD, BOB LAYTON, CHRIS CLAREMONT, JO DUFFY, JOHN BYRNE, JIM OWSLEY & LOUISE SIMONSON

Penciled by HOWARD CHAYKIN, STEVE DITKO, JOHN ROMITA JR., GIL KANE, BOB LAYTON, FRANK MILLER, RICK LEONARDI, BOB MCLEOD, BRET BLEVINS, JOHN BYRNE, MARK GRUENWALD, PAUL SMITH, JOHN BUSCEMA, GEORGE FREEMAN & JUNE BRIGMAN

Cover by VARIOUS

Roll up your jacket sleeves, and dust off your Rubik’s Cube as Marvel heads back to the eighties! From Alpha Flight to Zabu, heroes old and new grab the spotlight in their own titles in this first classic collection of the decade’s most dazzling debuts! All your favorites are here — including Dominic Fortune, Captain Universe and the New Mutants — plus Marvel’s first “event” miniseries! Collecting material from HULK (1978) #21, MARVEL SPOTLIGHT (1979) #9, DAZZLER #1, material from KA-ZAR THE SAVAGE #11, MARVEL SUPER HERO CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #1, HERCULES (1982) #1, WOLVERINE (1982) #1, VISION AND THE SCARLET WITCH (1982) #1, MARVEL GRAPHIC NOVEL #4, SAGA OF CRYSTAR: CRYSTAL WARRIOR #1, ALPHA FLIGHT (1983) #1, HAWKEYE (1983) #1, CLOAK AND DAGGER (1983) #1, FALCON #1, MAGIK (1983) #1, JACK OF HEARTS #1 and POWER PACK (1984) #1.

472 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99

ISBN: 978-0-7851-8545-1

1936121281?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN #2

1936131449?profile=RESIZE_180x180MATT KINDT (W) • MARCO RUDY (A/C)

• Spider-Man’s got 99 problems...and a race against time is one of them!

• Spider-Man finds himself thousands of miles above the planet, fighting for his life against some of his greatest foe

• Marvel Knights’ Matt Kindt and Marco Rudy bring you the Wall-Crawler you love as you’ve never seen him before!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I never understood the purpose of the first Marvel Knights imprint, which didn't seem to do much taht couldn't have been done in the regular titles. Perhaps I missed something. Anyway, now we have a second Marvel Knights imprint. Anyone want to tell me how it differs from the regular, MAX or Ultimate books, so I don't wander through life in total ignorance?

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL UNIVERSE HULK: AGENTS OF S.M.A.S.H. #2 (of 4)

1936131613?profile=RESIZE_180x180Adapted by Joe Caramagna

• Hulk’s family of smashers continues to grow, as does the property damage!

• Based on the hit DISNEY XD animated show.

32 PGS./All Ages …$2.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL’S CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER ADAPTATION #1 (OF 2)

1936133875?profile=RESIZE_180x180PETER DAVID (W)

WELLINTON ALVES (A)

GET READY FOR CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER WITH THIS AWESOME ADAPTATION OF THE FIRST AVENGERS’S DEBUT MARVEL STUDIOS FILM!

• Travel back to the deadly days of World War II as the globe stands on the edge of destruction…and one skinny kid from Brooklyn steps forward to become the Strategic Scientific Reserve’s one and only Super-Soldier!

• Captain America! Bucky! The Howling Commandos! The Red Skull! All of this and more movie magic!

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

A little late for this, isn't it? Or too early for Captain America II, due next spring? Weird.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARVEL’S THOR: THE DARK WORLD — THE ART OF THE MOVIE SLIPCASE HC

1936134011?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by STUART MOORE & MARIE JAVINS

Continuing their popular ART OF series of movie tie-in books, Marvel presents its latest blockbuster achievement! Featuring exclusive concept artwork, behind-the-scenes photographs, production stills, and in-depth interviews with the cast and crew, THE ART OF THOR: THE DARK WORLD provides an insider’s look into the making of the highly anticipated film directed by Alan Taylor and starring Chris Hemsworth!

240 PGS./All Ages …$49.99

ISBN: 978-0-7851-6812-6

Trim size: landscape

1936121281?profile=RESIZE_180x180MIGHTY AVENGERS #3

1936136409?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936138815?profile=RESIZE_180x180AL EWING (W) • GREG LAND (A/C)

Variant Cover by RON WIMBERLY

INFINITY TIE-IN!

• The Blue Marvel joins the fight - and the Ebony Maw makes his move!

• A plague of demons is raging through Manhattan, and the only Avenger who can defeat them is... Spider Hero? What?

• Seriously, who is that guy?

32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

I've forgotten most of the Blue Marvel story, but isn't he supposed to have debuted during Jim Crow days? He should be pretty long in the tooth by now. Still, good to see another hero of color at Marvel, to make the MU look more like real-life America.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180OZ: ROAD TO OZ GN TPB

1936141067?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by ERIC SHANOWER

Penciled by SKOTTIE YOUNG

Cover by SKOTTIE YOUNG

When your name is Dorothy Gale, all roads lead to Oz! So when Dorothy helps a stranger with directions, she suddenly finds herself on yet another magical and enchanted journey! This time, the Shaggy Man and his handy-dandy love magnet will accompany Dorothy. Button-Bright, the wisest little boy who “don’t know” anything, will come along, too. They’re all on the road to Oz, but can they get there in time for Princess Ozma’s birthday gala? And will this finally be the time Dorothy doesn’t make it back to Kansas? Find out in Marvel Comics’ fifth amazing series adapting the L. Frank Baum classics! Collecting ROAD TO OZ #1-6.

136 PGS./All Ages …$16.99

ISBN: 978-0-7851-6405-0

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180PAINKILLER JANE: THE PRICE OF FREEDOM #1 (OF 4)

1936143370?profile=RESIZE_180x180JIMMY PALMIOTTI (W) • JUAN SANTACRUZ & SAM LOFTI (A)

COVER by AMANDA CONNER & DAVE JOHNSON

Variant cover by Dave Johnson

PAINKILLER JANE is back in action as we follow her on an adrenaline filled adventure protecting a Saudi Arabian princess on her visit to the New York City. It seems a number of people want her dead and the only thing between them and her royal highness is our gun toting, out of control, Painkiller Jane. Also in this issue a 10 page back up telling you all about the origin of Painkiller Jane and her friendship between her best friend Detective Maureen Fernandez.

40 PGS./Mature …$3.99

I vaguely remember enjoying PK when she was at, what, Event Comics? Something like that. But I'm pretty sure what I liked most about the older books was the art. Without Joe Quesada or similar, is there any point to reviving this character? Heroes with healing factors are thick on the ground these days.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHIELD ORIGINS TP

1936143482?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W/A) Various (CA) TBD

• MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. are coming to the ABC Network this fall! Get in on the espionage action with this collection of modern classics!

•  Thrill to the formative appearances of Agent Phil Coulson and Nick Fury Jr., and learn how Fury followed in his famous father's footsteps!

•  See S.H.I.E.L.D. recruit the Avengers' Hawkeye and Black Widow for an undercover team so secret even THEY can't know about it!

•  When the Superior Spider-Man comes on board the Helicarrier, will Fury, Coulson and Maria Hill learn that he's hiding a secret of his own?

•  Plus: the classic first appearance of S.H.I.E.L.D.!

•  Collecting BATTLE SCARS #6, SECRET AVENGERS (2013) #1, AVENGING SPIDER-MAN #20-21, and material from STRANGE TALES (1951) #135.

$7.99

If you're at all unfamiliar with S.H.I.E.L.D., this would be a good buy. I suspect the concept is going to be with us for a while.

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180THANOS: REDEMPTION TPB

1936145617?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JIM STARLIN & KEITH GIFFEN

Penciled by JIM STARLIN & RON LIM

Cover by JIM STARLIN

After decades of malevolent misdeeds and vile villainy, could the Mad Titan be attempting to redeem himself? Scorned by his paramour Death and changed by his recent battles with the universe’s cosmic powers, Thanos may have just decided to turn over a new leaf. But to make good on his vow, he must face the world devourer Galactus, the all-consuming universal Hunger, the unimaginably powerful Beyonder and the unknown threat of the Fallen One! Most of the universe doubts Thanos’ sincerity, but a handful of uneasy allies support him: Adam Warlock, Pip the Troll, Gladiator and Star-Lord. Witness Thanos’ cosmic struggle for repentance — but ask yourself, what dire fate awaits the universe if he fails? Collecting THANOS #1-12.

304 PGS./Rated T+ …$34.99

ISBN: 978-0-7851-8506-2

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180UNCANNY X-MEN VOL 2: BROKEN PREM HC

1936147781?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Brian Michael Bendis (A) Frazer Irving, Chris Bachalo (CA) Chris Bachalo

The all-new, all-revolutionary Uncanny X-Men have barely had time to find their footing as a team before they must face the evil Dormammu! Can Magik match the demon's lord's sorcery? Is she even on the X-Men's side anymore? Discover the secrets Magik has been hiding since AVX! Then: School is in session! The Uncanny X-Men have seen what can happen with no control over their powers. It cannot happen again. One mutant learns that once you leave the X-Men, the real world can be a punishing place. Another learns just what it means to be an X-Man. But what, exactly, are they being trained for? Plus: Cyclops and Magneto finally have it out! And which other former ally has signed up with S.H.I.E.L.D. to keep tabs on the X-Men? Collecting UNCANNY X-MEN (2013) #6-11.

$224.99

1801206969?profile=RESIZE_180x180X-MEN LEGACY #19

1936147899?profile=RESIZE_180x180(W) Simon Spurrier (A) Tan Eng Huat (CA) Mike Del Mundo

• One of Legion's most troublesome personalities threatens to annihilate an alien species!

•  S.W.O.R.D. director Abigail Brand is on the case - but will she be able to work with David to solve this extraterrestrial conundrum?

•  Odd couple adventures ensue as David and Brand team up to stop the destruction before it begins!

$2.99

This book is still being published? Why?

• ARCHIE COMICS

ARCHIE DOUBLE DIGEST #245

add245.150.jpg?width=150Archie in “A Tree Grows in Riverdale”—The holidays are here and Archie and the gang are getting into the Christmas spirit! Everyone except for one little guy… no, not one of Santa’s elves—a tiny Christmas tree! Can even a small sapling bring joy on Christmas? Find out in the lead story to this digest filled with holiday cheer!

Script: George Gladir

Art: Stan Goldberg, Mike Esposito, Bill Yoshida

Cover: Fernando Ruiz, Bob Smith, Rosario ‘Tito’ Peña

160-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

If you find Afterlife with Archie too troubling, come home, America, come home to a Riverdale where Archie and company have been teenagers for more than 70 years!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180BETTY AND VERONICA DOUBLE DIGEST #217
    bvdd217.150.jpg?width=150Betty and Veronica in “Treed”—It’s Christmas decorating time, and boy does Veronica have a big day planned for Betty and herself! With four huge trees to decorate in the mansion, the girls are sure going to be busy—unless they get some help from a magical holiday friend! But when Sugar Plum gets a little overzealous, will she help them out or crush their holiday fun? Find out in this fun story to a double digest filled with Christmas cheer!
    Script: Kathleen Webb
    Art: Jeff Shultz, Al Milgrom, Vickie Williams
    Cover: Dan Parent, Bob Smith, Rosario ‘Tito’ Peña
    Shipping Date: 10/9
    On Sale at Comic Specialty Shops: 10/23
    160-page, full color comic
    $3.99 US.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180QUANTUM AND WOODY VOL. 1: THE WORLD'S WORST SUPERHERO TEAM TPB

QW_TPB_001_COVER.jpg?width=150Written by JAMES ASMUS

Art by TOM FOWLER

Cover by RYAN SOOK

Those guys are the worst.

Once upon a time, Eric and Woody Henderson were inseparable. Adopted brothers. Best friends. Brilliant minds. Years later, they are estranged siblings, petty rivals, and washed-up failures. But when their father’s murder leads them into the throes of a life-altering scientific accident, Eric and Woody will find themselves with a whole new purpose – and a perfectly legitimate reason to wear costumes and fight crime. Go big or go home, folks! Quantum and Woody are coming! (And, yes, there is a goat too.)

Collecting QUANTUM AND WOODY #1-4 by creators James Asmus (Thief of Thieves) and Tom Fowler (Hulk: Season One), start reading here to jump into the action-packed, zeitgeist-shredding exploitation stunt comic that Comic Book Resources calls "yet another critically acclaimed hit for Valiant Comics."

$9.99/T+/112 pgs.

TRADE PAPERBACK

On my Amazon order list. From what I've seen so far, they've really taken the chocks off Woody. He was just annoying in the old series, but in this one he seems more aggressively lawless.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHADOWMAN #12

SM_012_COVER_JOHNSON.jpg?width=150 SM_012_VARIANT_KOTAKI.jpg?width=150Written by ALES KOT, CHRISTOPHER SEBELA, and NEIL DVORAK

Art by CLAYTON CRAIN, MICO SUAYAN, and NEIL DVORAK

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

Variant Cover by KEKAI KOTAKI

An all-star anthology of Shadowman tales from the Deadside and beyond!

Superstar artist Clayton Crain and a stellar roster of all-star creators bring you not one, not two, but three chilling Shadowman stories. Ales Kot (Suicide Squad, Zero), Christopher Sebela (Captain Marvel, Screamland), and Neil Dvorak (Easy Pieces) push the outer bounds of the world of Shadowman further than ever before!

$3.99/T+/32 pgs.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180OTHER PUBLISHERS

47 RONIN GN

1936120061?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W) Sean Michael Wilson (A/CA) Akiko Shimojima

In the 18th-century, forty-seven samurai avenged the death of their master in a plot that would take over two years to complete. After succeeding in their mission, the masterless samurai, known as ronin, all committed ritual suicide. The story, which is a national legend, remains the most potent example of Japan's deeply rooted cultural imperative of honor, persistence, loyalty, and sacrifice. In The 47 Ronin, Sean Michael Wilson has created a historically factual portrait, enhanced by evocative and often lyrical drawings by Akiko Shimojima. This version stands out as being the most accurate and most compelling.

$14.95

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ABSOLUTION RUBICON #5

1936120265?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936126456?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) Christos N. Gage (A/CA) Daniel Gete

The final explosive issue! The Polymath is beaten... John Dusk has saved the day... or has he? Even sick and dying the Polymath plans to take the city with him in a blaze of destruction. Can even the combined might of Dusk and the police Enhanciles do what has to be done to save the city? The final chapter sends John Dusk headlong into a dangerous future. Available with Regular, Wraparound, and Electric Blue Retailer Incentive covers by series artist Daniel Gete, a Final Justice cover by Caanan White, and a special Happy Kitty Premium cover by Gete that is limited to just 750 copies.

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936127857?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936129470?profile=RESIZE_320x320

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ACG COLLECTED WORKS ADV INTO UNKNOWN VOL 5 HC

1936130952?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(A) Edvard Moritz & Various

More stories from the famous forerunner of all horror anthology comicbooks! This volume collects issues #21-25 of Adventures of the Unknown, originally printed from July 1951 to November 1951.

$47.99

I'm still reading these, and still loving them. I realize these aren't for everyone, but reading these books goes to the heart of who I've been for more than 50 years. "Captain Comics" is more than just a title -- it's a state of mind!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ACG COLLECTED WORKS ADV INTO UNKNOWN VOL 3 SLIPCASE ED

1936130969?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Peter Crowther, Paul Difilippo (A) Ogden Whitney & Various

Richard Hughes's groundbreaking Adventures Into The Unknown, the world's first anthology-title, boldly stepped where no comic book had gone before. Now, the lovely folks at PS Artbooks are making them available again! This slipcased volume collects issues #11-15 (June/July 1950 to January 1951) of the ACG classic Adventures Into The Unknown. The volume has been meticulously compiled from the original source material and painstakingly digitally restored.

$64.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180AIR GEAR VOL 29 GN

1936132922?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Oh Great

Everybody knows that Itsuki is the most fearsome skater around. With his high-tech Air Gear skates, his moves are so smooth they're almost like flying. But when you're the best, someone always wants to take you down. Action, adventure, and high-stakes competition - and that's just the beginning!

$10.99

I never expected to read the phrase "most fearsome skater" in my life.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180AIR GEAR OMNIBUS VOL 2 GN

1936135028?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Oh Great

Everybody knows that Itsuki is the most fearsome skater around. With his high-tech Air Gear skates, his moves are so smooth they're almost like flying. But when you're the best, someone always wants to take you down. Action, adventure, and high-stakes competition - and that's just the beginning!

$19.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180AIRBOY G8 GN

1936137049?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: MOONSTONE

(W) Chuck Dixon (A) Ken Hoover, Ver Curtis (CA) Tom Grindberg

A Return of the Originals event! Two high-flying legends meet for the very first time in an all out adventure by action-master Chuck Dixon! Airboy: Young impulsive WW2 flying ace Davey Nelson, and his perhaps-sentient plane Birdy, seek justice in the skies in their own unique gung-ho style! G-8: Secret Agent WW1 fighter pilot who is often called upon in the most dire of circumstances, and he is more than happy to do the grim work that needs to be done. When the Nazis start scaring up actual monsters to throw against the Allies, it's up to these two pilots to work together and keep the world safe from horrors unimaginable! Plus, an illustrated prose story by Chuck Dixon that teams up Airboy with Domino Lady!

$9.99

I am so tempted. Soooooo tempted. Can anyone nudge me over the edge?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ALL CRIME #2

1936137150?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ART OF FICTION

(W) Erik Warfield, Paul Grimshaw (A) Steve Gordon, Gibson Quarter (CA) Bruce Timm

The crime wave continues as Dodger and Marko steal a plane and attempt to flee the country - but not without a little help. It's time for more cons, murders, crazy soccer players, and did we mention the World Cup?

$3.95

That Timm cover makes it almost irresistible.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ARMY OF DARKNESS VS HACK SLASH #3

1936139617?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Tim Seeley (A) Daniel Leister (CA) Stefano Caselli

Cassie and Ash are hunted by an elite squad of mercenaries knows as The Dead Soldiers. But these aren't just any old killers... they're half-deadite! How will our heroes survive? How about a gory Wild West showdown, full of creative uses for mini-Ashes and tiny-Cassies?

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936142153?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936145064?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ASSASSINS CREED ANKH OF ISIS TRILOGY HC

1936145098?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W) Eric Corbeyran (A/CA) Djillali Defali

This first-ever collection of the Assassin's Creed three volume graphic novel series from Ubisoft collects together the exhilarating story of Desmond Miles' abduction by Abstergo. His subsequent flight from their grasp leads to Desmond joining the Assassins in their fight against the Templars. Their betrayal leads to Desmond "recovering" the memories of his ancestor Aquilus, as he searches for the power of the mystical Ankh.

$24.95

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ATTACK ON TITAN VOL 8 GN

1936145348?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Isayama Hajime

First time in PREVIEWS! Humanity has been devastated by the bizarre, giant humanoids known as the Titans. Little is known about where they came from or why they are bent on consuming humanity. Seemingly unintelligent, they have roamed the world killing off humankind for years. For the past century, what's left of mankind has hidden in a giant, three-walled city. People believe their 100-meter-high walls will protect them from the Titans, which are 10 to 20 meters tall. But the sudden appearance of an immense Titan is about to change everything.

$10.99
    1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180BAKUMAN TP COMP BOX SET

1936145360?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W) Tsugumi Ohba (A/CA) Takeshi Obata

Average student Moritaka Mashiro enjoys drawing for fun. When his classmate and aspiring writer Akito Takagi discovers his talent, he begs Moritaka to team up with him as a manga-creating duo. But what exactly does it take to make it in the manga-publishing world?

Includes a 2-sided color poster and an Otter #11 mini-comic

$159.99

I didn't realize Viz was still in business!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180BALLISTIC #3

1936148179?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: BLACK MASK COMICS

(W) Adam Egypt Mortimer (A/CA) Darick Robertson

Darick Robertson and Adam Egypt Mortimer pour jet fuel, red bull, and Adderall in the engines of Ballistic with issue #3, exploding every panel off the page as Butch and Gun take on all of the gangs in Repo City!

$3.50

What's Darick Robertson doing at this no-name publisher? I guess a job's a job. And if it makes Black Mask a "name" publisher, well, the more the merrier.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180BIONIC MAN VS THE BIONIC WOMAN TP

1936150032?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Keith Champagne (A) José Luis

Steve Austin and Jaime Sommers, the iconic heroes of THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN and THE BIONIC WOMAN, are together again... and at each other's throats! The FBI recruits Austin to capture the serial killer Trench, who targets accident survivors gifted with bionic limbs and organs. But Austin disappears, and only Jaime Sommers has any hope of tracking him down. When their paths cross, will their tragic past and different tactics pit them against one another?

$19.99

Didn't the Bionic Woman have more enhancements than Steve Austin? If so, she should make short work of him. Either that, or marry him and have a passel of little cyborgs!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180CALIGULA VOL 2 TP

1936150098?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) David Lapham (A/CA) German Nobile

They thought the mad emperor, Caligula was destroyed. But his evil lives on, hiding in plain sight. Now good Laurentius must track down the demon to stop the slaughter in the streets and to avenge his wife's death. But the demon is not alone this time. It seems that others with hellish powers have risen up and are shaping the world of the new ruling class. Even young Nero, his son, has a demonic influence changing the boy and directing him to take up the grievous excesses of his father. The modern master of horror, DAVID LAPHAM (Crossed Vol. 2 & 3, Stray Bullets), joins talented painter GERMAN NOBILE in a descent into the darkest corners of Rome's history. Collects issues #1 - 6 of the Caligula Heart of Rome series.

$19.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHARISMAGIC VOL 2 #6

1936150466?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936152628?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC

(W) Vince Hernandez (A/CA) Vincenzo Cucca

Be prepared because everything you thought you knew about magic is about to vanish!

The wizard Kon faces his greatest challenge, as he must make amends for the past by battling the combined might of Orlana, Serké and Samsun, with only the witch Dura by his side. Meanwhile, in the Golden Hall, Hank, Sudana and Sparkles must make a devastating choice-to either fight their friends Alle and Hector, or allow the Realm to be overtaken by their dark magic. And the fight for Earth worsens, as battle lines are further drawn by the most unexpected source, and the fate of the very planet will lay in the balance!

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180CHARLEY'S WAR VOL 10: THE END GN

1936153903?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W) Pat Mills (A/CA) Joe Colquhoun

In the final explosive volume of never-before-collected comic strip, including for the first time reproductions of strip pages from Joe Colquhoun's original artwork, we finally reach the epic conclusion of Charley's story, and the harrowing final days of World War I. The tenth action-packed volume of Charley's War is rich in the detailed minutiae of the terror-punctuated existence of a Tommy. Includes an extended feature on the historical background to the strip plus Pat Mills commentary and afterword. Collects stories from Battle (2/6/84-26/1/85).

$19.95

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180CROSSED BADLANDS #29 

1936155853?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

W) Christos N. Gage (A) Christian Zanier (CA) Matt Martin

Celebrate Christos Gage's first chapter of the fan favorite "Quisling" story arc with a special set of four exclusive progressive covers that illustrate the adage "beauty is more than skin deep"...Crossed style. This four cover limited edition set by Matt Martin is limited to 400 sets and will change the way you look at beauty pageants forever.

$39.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180D GRAY MAN 3-IN-1 ED  VOL 2 TP

1936158139?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Katsura Hoshino

Allen questions whether he is willing to fight the Clan of Noah - after all, he signed up to kill akuma, not humans! With his left eye injured, he can no longer tell akuma from humans, making him a target for attack. Despite this weakness, he is sent by the Black Ministry to find and protect his master, General Cross.

$14.99

Sure are a lot of boxed sets of manga comics. Do manga readers have more money than non-manga readers?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180

• DARK SHADOWS #22

1936122367?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Mike Raicht (A) Nacho Tenorio (CA) Francesco Francavilla

Evil Barnabas and his family of vampires triumphant and growing larger?! Say it ain't so! Will anyone be able to stop them before they spill more innocent blood? And most importantly, can Julia and Willie return Barnabas' good soul back in his body before it is too late? If not, prepare to enter a new even Darker Age on the Collinwood Estate.

$3.99

If Francavilla was doing the interiors, I'd be there, baby. But I've never heard of the other creators. Anybody reading this? Any recommendations?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEPARTMENT OF MONSTEROLOGY #2

1936122456?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RENEGADE ARTS ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Gordon Rennie (A/CA) P. j. Holden

"Investigating the Dark Forgotten Corners of our World. One Monster at a Time." The department follows up on the Chinese vampire attack, only to find that someone has beaten them to it!

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180DEVIL IS DUE IN DREARY T

1936122657?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCANA STUDIO

(W) David Parkin (A) Allan Jefferson (CA) Alex Sanchez

Jack and Tino, two strangers with a questionable past arrive in the reclusive town of Dreary where they unknowingly fulfill a prophecy that the town believes will precede the coming of the apocalypse. They are caught up in a whirlwind of judgment and paranoia, and it's a race against time to escape with their lives. The Devil is Due in Dreary is a music rich ride through the folklore of the old west. With rattling desert bones, pompadours, classic cars, and pearl handled pistols, it's an action packed rockabilly take on the classic western.

$12.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180DIARY OF A WIMPY KID VOL 8 HC

1936122615?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ABRAMS

(W/A/CA) Jeff Kinney

Greg Heffley's on a losing streak. His best friend, Rowley Jefferson, has abandoned him, and finding new friends in middle school is proving to be a tough task. To change his fortunes, Greg decides to take a leap of faith and turn his decisions over to chance. Will a roll of the dice turn things around, or is Greg's life destined to be just another hard luck story? The latest volume in the best-selling series!

$13.95

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180DILBERT: I SENSE A COLDNESS TO YOUR MENTORING TP

1936126221?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: POCKET BOOKS

(W/A/CA) Scott Adams

The boss. Everyone has one, and all of every boss's worst traits are embodied in The Boss in Dilbert. In I Sense a Coldness to Your Mentoring, the ongoing torture that The Boss wreaks on his helpless underlings is played out in full. From a total lack of mentoring skills to clueless budget requests and pointless, mind-numbing endless meetings, The Boss makes office life for Dilbert, Wally, Alice, and his secretary a living hell with cubicle walls.

$12.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT ASSASSINS #16

1936127629?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC

(W) Vince Hernandez (A/CA) Jordan Gunderson

A brand-new Assassins storyline begins!

The "Blood Origin" three-part storyline kicks off as the cruel history of the first Executive Assistant Academy forged many years ago is brutally exposed. Nestled alongside a barren and treacherous mountain range in China, within a spiritual Chinese village of hard living--a school of honor and discipline was introduced that would change the landscape forever. Meet Daffodil, the first graduate of the academy, as she discovers that a new world awaits those who cannot only fend for themselves-but also, use their vicious abilities to help those of great power!

$3.99

Murder, assassinations, kung fu skills, sure. But can she type?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936127647?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936127812?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180FAIRY TAIL VOL 31 GN

1936127871?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

W/A/CA) Hiro Mashima

Seven years have passed, and without its most powerful wizards Fairy Tail has become the laughingstock of the magical world! Even after retuning, Natsu, Erza, Makarov and the others quickly realize that restoring Fairy Tail's good name will be tougher than they imagined. New and far more powerful guilds have arisen, and the upcoming Grand Magic Games might be Fairy Tail's only chance at redemption. But how do you make up for seven years away in just a few days?

$10.99

"Fairy Tail" sounds like furry porn. Maybe it's a translation problem.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180GARFIELD #19

1936129397?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

W) Mark Evanier & Various (A) Andy Hirsch & Various (CA) Gary Barker

Garfield and the gang have plenty to give thanks for, and we're going to share two all-stories this month, including the gang getting into some turkey day shenanigans, and the next chapter of the Lasagna Monster saga!

$3.99

With Evanier writing this book, it's bound to be a lot better than the comic strip, which I've never found amusing.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180GET FUZZY TP FUZZY BUNCH

1936130879?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: POCKET BOOKS

(W/A/CA) Darby Conley

House cats are known to be aloof, but "cat-titude" reaches new heights in Get Fuzzy, the bitingly hilarious comic strip from cartoonist Darby Conley. At the center of this warm and fuzzy romp is Rob Wilco, a single, mild-mannered ad executive and guardian of anthropomorphic scamps Bucky and Satchel. Bucky is a temperamental cat who clearly wears the pants in this eccentric household. Satchel is a gentle pooch who tries to remain neutral, but frequently ends up on the receiving end of Bucky's mischief. Together, this unlikely trio endures all the trials and tribulations of a typical family - more or less.

$12.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM FAIRY TALE WONDERLAND TTLG #2

1936132908?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Raven Gregory, Patrick Shand

As Johnny, the future Mad Hatter, continues his horrific journey through Wonderland, he is pursued by shadowy threats that wish to drive him to the brink of sanity. However, when a mysterious girl named Adina crosses paths with Johnny, it seems as if he is being offered his one chance at redemption. Can Johnny save himself, or is his future set in stone? Find out as the brand new Wonderland trilogy continues!

$3.99

I'm sure the first time someone re-wrote Alice in Wonderland with Alice depicted as a grown-up instread of as a child, it was a great idea. But there have been so many variations on that idea since, it's tough to remember what the story was like when Alice was pre-pubescent.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936134977?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936137224?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180GHOST COP #1

1936139605?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

(W) V.J. Boyd, Justin Boyd (A/CA) Chris Dibari

In 1947, hard-boiled police detective Tom Fraley was murdered by a vicious serial killer. Now, in 2013, someone is replicating that killer's pattern. Fraley's spirit returns to hunt down the criminal and take vengeance for his own death.

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180GOD IS DEAD #3

1936141936?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936142156?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) Jonathan Hickman (A) Di Amorim (CA) Jonathan Hickman

It is god-mageddon as the pantheons clash for ultimate rule. Gods from every faith are locked in mortal combat with the Earth as the spoils. JONATHAN HICKMAN brings the wrath of the divine to comics in God is Dead! A small group of human resistance fighters undertake a covert mission to recover the DNA of a fallen deity. But can human kind, in all their arrogance, find a way to create their own secret weapon against these all powerful foes? The doomsday clock is ticking and with each moment we are moving closer to annihilation. Available with a Regular cover by Jonathan Hickman, End of Days cover and a premium Iconic card stock cover that is limited to just 5000 copies by Jacen Burrows, and a Pantheon Order Incentive cover by series artist Di Amorim.

$3.99

Wait, Hickman again? Marvel, Image, Avatar -- he's everywhere, he's everywhere!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180GRIMM VOL 1 TP

1936142251?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) David Greenwalt & Various (A) Jose Malaga (CA) Photo

Set in the world of the acclaimed NBC series, Grimm, by the show creators themselves! Homicide Detective Nick Burkhardt, joined by his mother Kelly, Hank, and Monroe, uncover family secrets long buried during their adventure in Europe. Hunted by Verrat soldiers, their quest to destroy the Coins of Zakynthos reveals dark secrets and promises death for a member of the cast!

$19.99

It appears that Hollywood has finally figured out that by using public-domain fairy tales, they can have their own "superhero" franchises without paying royalties to a comic-book publisher. But, man, there sure are a lot of them now.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180HIGURASHI WHEN THEY CRY  FESTIVAL ACCOMPANYING ARC VOL 23 GN

1936144603?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: HACHETTE BOOK GROUP USA

(W) Ryukishi07 (A/CA) Karin Suzuragi

Through Miyo Takano's efforts, the research on Hinamizawa Syndrome has won support her grandfather never received. But Dr. Irie has glimpsed the madness that drives Takano to achieve results by any means, and his loyalties are challenged when he is ordered to perform a vivisection on young Satoko Hojo!

$18.99

That skirt's riding a little high for a schoolgirl, don't you think?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180HIT #3

1936146663?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Bryce Carlson (A) Vanesa Del (CA) Ryan Sook

As the noose slowly tightens, Slater is left with a choice: does he give in to Blair's sadistic demands and rejoin the Hit Squad, or does he take action against the East Coast mafia to save Bonnie? But really, he doesn't have much of a choice at all...

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180H.P. LOVECRAFT: SHADOW OUT OF TIME GN

1936146688?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ABRAMS

(W) H. P. Lovecraft (A/CA) I. N. J. Culbard

In 1908, Nathaniel Wingate Peaslee experiences an unfortunate fainting spell. Five years later, he finally returns to his senses, but has no recollection of these lost years of his life. As he attempts to discover what happened during this time, he becomes increasingly tormented by vivid, disturbing dreams, dreams that will lead him on a journey through space and time to unlock the secrets of his past and of the universe.

$19.95

I just reviewed this in a column, which I should post pretty soon. Short take: This Lovecraft story actually works better in comics than it did in prose.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180INCREDIBLE CUTENESS OF BEING TP

1936146838?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TOP SHELF PRODUCTIONS

(W/A/CA) Keith Knight

The sixth collection of Keith Knight's multi award-winning comic strip finds ye olde gentleman cartoonist welcoming his progeny into the world alongside America's first Black president! Will the nation's premier race cartoonist mellow out now that he's a new dad in a "post-racial" world?

$15.95

BOOOOOOOOOOOBS!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180JOHNNY HIRO: SKILLS TO PAY THE BILLS VOL 2 GN

1936149056?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ST. MARTINS PRESS

(W/A/CA) Fred Chao

After a couple of years as an underpaid sushi chef for his incredibly stingy and negative boss, Mr. Masago, Johnny Hiro doubts his abilities to provide his girlfriend Mayumi with the kind of life he thinks she deserves. Throw in the aftereffects of Johnny's past relationships and Mr. Masago's prior business ventures with his current rival Shinto Pete, and it's all a big case study in how each decision influences the next and can create vast differences in the way life develops. Figuring all of this out is even harder in New York City, with its giant gorillas, sumo wrestlers, Japanese gangsters, and rogue catering companies.

$17.99

• JULIUS CAESAR CAMPFIRE ED GN

1936120818?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) William Shakespeare

A strong addition to the popular Campfire Classics line, Julius Caesar joins Campfire's other Shakespears adaptations: The Merchant of Venice, Romeo and Juliet, Macbeth, and The Tempest. As Julius Caesar gains power in Rome, his loyal lieutenants Brutus and Cassius plot against the Roman general. One of Shakespeare's most famous stories, it is brought vividly to life!

$12.99

I realize that it's just the name of the imprint, but when I saw this title I had to laugh. Because nothing says s'mores like Julius Caesar!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180KNIGHTINGAIL SHADOW DIVISIONS #5

1936126450?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

(W) Wayne Gardiner (A) Mell Joy San (CA) Mell Joy San, Val Hochberg

The Shadow Ravens strike! After watching the heroes for months, the Shadow Ravens strike at the divided Centurions. What good are Kaeli, Daniel, and Maragus's powers against assassin warriors they can't see? And where is Knightingail who has not appeared to battle with her friends?

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE #202

1936127878?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: KENZER & COMPANY

(W/A) Jolly Blackburn (CA) TBD

This multiple award-winning comic magazine features the hilarious misadventures of a group of gamers (the "Knights") and their friends, along with useful role-playing and other articles for gamers, from a gamer's perspective. It's a slice of (fantasy) life in strips, articles, reviews and features, and a wonderful celebration of the gaming culture!

$5.99

Good lord! This book is still around? And I've still never seen a single issue!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180LAST ZOMBIE #5 THE END

1936129530?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

(W) Brian Keene (A/CA) David Hutchinson

Last issue! The final chapter reaches its horrific conclusion as the surviving team members at long last reach their destination, only to face threats from within and without their ranks. The fate of Ian's fiancée Jen and the bunker staff is revealed, but will Ian live long enough to find them?

$3.99

I would think "The Last Human" would be a far more frightening concept.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180LEGENDS OF RED SONJA #1

1936131046?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Gail Simone & Various (A) Jack Jadson & Various (CA) Jay Anacleto

Dynamite Entertainment presents a bold new experiment in graphic storytelling, as the biggest female stars in the worlds of prose, television, gaming and comics gather together to tell thrilling stories from the life of Red Sonja, which combine to make up her greatest adventure yet! This issue includes stories by Gail, Bram Stoker Award Winner Nancy A. Collins, and beloved Batman scribe, Devin Grayson, all braided together by an epic framing story told by Red Sonja scribe Gail Simone! This book is designed to appeal not just to fans of Sonja, but also the countless readers of these talented writers!

$3.99

Like with Conan at Marvel, I realized at some point that I'd read all the Dynamite Red Sonja stories I'd ever need to. Perhaps, like Conan at Dark Horse, someone will come along and breathe new life into the character. As it is, I'm tired of reading essentially the same story over and over.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180LOOK STRAIGHT AHEAD GN

1936133066?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ALTERNATIVE COMICS

(W/A/CA) Eliane, M. Will

Jeremy Knowles is a 17-year-old outcast who dreams of being a great artist. But when he suffers a severe mental breakdown brought on by bullying and other pressures at school, his future is called into question, as is his very existence. Can he survive the experience through the healing power of art? And just what does it mean to be "crazy," anyway?

$19.95

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180LORDS OF MARS #4

1936135146?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936137365?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Arvid Nelson (A) Roberto Castro (CA) Alex Ross

The legendary ape-man starts having second thoughts about his newfound Martians "pals", the devious Therns, who just so happen to be the bitter enemies of John Carter. But all that might not matter - Carter is paying the Therns a little visit, and he and the ape-man are on a collision course that will change the face of two planets forever. Jane, the ape-man's wife, goes looking for proof of the Therns' treachery, and she ends up finding more than she bargained for. The sky erupts with fire in Lords of Mars #4 - War in Heaven!

$3.99

Wait, where are Dejah Thoris' boobs? Aren't they supposed to be prominently featured on every Barsoom book at Dynamite? Fire the editor!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARIA M HC

1936137429?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

(W/A/CA) Gilbert Hernandez

A CRIME THRILLER DOUBLES AS AN ADAPTATION-STYLE META-LOVE AND ROCKETS STORY

A woman comes to the U.S. from Latin America to escape her shady past, only to fall into a new shady life. After a go at the adult entertainment business, Maria marries a drug lord and her dangerous past is nothing compared to her new life in America. The drug lord's son, Gorgo, secretly falls in love with her and he watches over her like a guardian angel. Danger and corruption (and of course sex) drive the first half of this love story.

Long-time Love and Rockets readers will find the storyline familiar... and that's because, in an Adaptation-style meta twist, Maria M. is actually the B-movie film adaptation of the life story of Luba's mother Maria, as previously seen in its "real" version in the classic graphic novel Poison River (available in the Beyond Palomar collection) - starring Maria's own daughter playing her own mother.

Confused? Don't be! Maria M. will work perfectly on its own terms as the kind of violent, sexy pulp tale that Gilbert Hernandez has proven so adept at these past several years, and the "source material" for the story will just provide an extra layer of delight for the cognoscenti.

Part two of Maria M. will be released in 2014.

$22.99

Speaking of boobs ...

Seriously, GIlbert Hernandez's stories don't do much for me, but what pushes my disinterest right on into dislike is his art, which I find too cartoony, and especially his many women drawn like the one above. I mean, come on.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARK WAID GREEN HORNET #7

1936139886?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Mark Waid (A) Ronilson Frere (CA) Paolo Rivera

Now that The Voice has been silenced, a new menace threatens the city--and without the Hornet around to protect the citizens, can Kato survive as a solo agent?

$3.99

Anyone reading this? It's written by Mark Waid, which is usually an automatic purchase for me, but Green Hornet is such a dull concept. Any recommendations from the Legion?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180MARK WAID GREEN HORNET TP VOL 01

1936142030?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Mark Waid (A) Daniel Indro, Ronilson Freire (CA) Paolo Rivera

The Green Hornet faces the most dangerous enemy in the his long and storied career: his egotistical and arrogant alter-ego, Britt Reid! A journalist with great influence in his city, Reid takes on the public persona of a social crusader, but he's far too sure of himself and his judgment. When he finally oversteps his bounds, an innocent man pays a terrible price... and the legend of the Green Hornet may be forever tarnished! From the mind of superstar writer Mark Waid (Kingdom Come) comes a new era for the classic pulp hero!

$19.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180MAXIMUM RIDE VOL 7 TP

1936142255?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: HACHETTE BOOK GROUP USA

(W) James Paterson (A/CA) NaRae Lee

Fang's blog has brought ITEX and their cruel research to the world's attention, and his readers take a stand at the facility where Max and the girls are being held, shutting the organization down. But Max isn't through saving the world yet! When the Flock is asked to aid a group of environmental scientists studying the effects of global warming, the expedition seems like a perfect combination of adventure and activism. But even in Antarctica, Max is an irresistible target with the eyes of the world upon her. For whoever controls her powers could also control the world!

$13.00

Good lord! That poor child! Clearly, someone has carved her eyes out with a spoon and replaced them with glow-in-the-dark saucers! *Choke!*

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180MIDNIGHT SECRETARY VOL 2 GN

1936142697?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Tomu Ohmi

Kaya thinks she's come to terms with being a vampire's secretary, until she overhears Kyohei call her "just food." She's shocked at how betrayed she feels, and the emotional blow causes her to make a mistake. To keep her work from suffering any more, Kyohei's older brother arranges a long-term transfer for Kaya. Will working at another company let time heal her wounds? Or will her feelings for Kyohei continue to burn in her heart no matter where she is?

$9.99

But can she type?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180MISS FURY VOL 1: ANGER IS AN ENERGY TP

1936145133?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Rob Williams (A) Jackson Herbert (CA) Alex Ross

Miss Fury, the original pulp heroine, returns! When the costumed adventurer foils a wartime plot by Nazi agents, a scientific mishap catapults her forward through time... or so it seems. Has she truly been propelled into the Washington, D.C. of the year 2013, where the Third
    Reich reigns supreme? Or is she merely the victim of a mental breakdown, a delusional witness to decades of bloodshed from World War II through the far-flung future? Whether lost in time or driven crazy, one thing is clear - Miss Fury simmers with rage, and those responsible will face her fearsome power!

$19.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180MR TOAST COMICS #6 LITTLE LOST GHOST

1936147999?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DKE INC

(W) Dan Goodsell (A/CA) Todd Webb

This is the sixth issue of Mr Toast Comics. This 28 page story contains "Little Lost Ghost," written by Dan Goodsell and drawn by Todd Webb. The book is in full color and measures 6" x 7 3/4".

$3.00

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180NARUTO TP VOL 63

1936148457?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Masashi Kishimoto

With the help of Kakashi and Guy, Naruto seems to have found a way around Tobi's invincible abilities. But why do Tobi's techniques seem to mimic Kakashi's so closely? And when Tobi's mask is finally torn off, will the revelation shock the ninja world?!

$9.99

I find this style of manga artwork really ugly. The spiky hair, the grimaces ... it's all so adolescent. I guess that's who it appeals to, and this old man should just shut up.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ORESAMA TEACHER GN VOL 15

1936150042?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Izumi Tsubaki

Mafuyu is really happy to be a normal student going on a normal school trip. In her delinquent past, school trips were all about beating up on hooligans from other schools, so she's excited at the chance to relax and enjoy the activities. But it turns out her old rivals from West High are in the same town on their school trip! Will Sakurada ruin her cherished taste of normalcy?!

$9.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180PANDORA HEARTS GN VOL 18

1936152387?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: HACHETTE BOOK GROUP USA

(W/A/CA) Jun Mochizuki

The tragedy that befell a bustling city a hundred years earlier. Eyes of ill omen. Stone seals. The warped gears that have continued turning since long ago play out a requiem for one who was much loved. The solemn sound of the dirge colors the world that hears it a melancholy gray, as though it was always meant to be!

$11.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180PATHFINDER GOBLINS #4

1936152609?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Jeremy Holt, F. Wesley Schneider (A) Christian Meesey, Jainai Jeffries (CA) Christian Meesey
    In "The Gobbling Goblin", as a small band of goblin's forage for food, one of them tells the legend of Kronkshaft-- a cautionary tale of one goblin's ambition to eat the impossible, and the humorous series of events that his insatiable hunger gets him into. And in "Horsechopper", everyone knows that goblins hate horses, even going so far as to craft vicious weapons called "horsechoppers." So what happens when a pair of unsuspecting goblins suddenly come face to face with their worst nightmare one day? A darkly comic spin on a survival horror tale!

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180PENNY FOR YOUR SOUL DEATH #3

1936152646?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

(W) Tom Hutchison (A) J. B. Neto (CA) J. B. Neto, Oren Kramek

The third Horseman of the Apocalypse is awoken, but can Jesus control the Horseman known as Death?

$3.50

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180POKEMON ADV BLACK & WHITE GN VOL 02

1936152902?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W) Hidenori Kusaki (A/CA) Satoshi Yamamoto

Pokémon Trainer Black meets White, a Pokemon Trainer who runs a growing talent agency for performing Pokemon. Will Black catch show biz fever too? Meanwhile, mysterious Team Plasma is urging everyone to release their beloved Pokemon into the wild! What are they thinking?!

$9.99

All I know about Pokemon is that children enslave beasts and force them to fight each other in cruel gladiatorial contests. Have I got it right?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180POKEMON ADV HEARTGOLD & SOULSILVER GN VOL 02

1936154033?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W) Hidenori Kusaki (A/CA) Satoshi Yamamoto

The thrilling conclusion to the story reuniting Pokémon Trainers Gold, Silver and Crystal...and Team Rocket too! Crystal and Gold battle the enemy while Silver collects the 16 mysterious plates that Team Rocket wants to get their hands on to set their latest diabolical plan in motion. Then, a mysterious force fi eld envelops our three heroes -along with Legendary Pokémon Arceus-and transports them all to...where?!

$9.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180POKEMON ADVENTURES TP VOL 19

1936156376?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W) Hidenori Kusaka (A/CA) Satoshi Yamamoto

Ruby is losing friends by the minute...! Why does Sapphire never want to see his face again? And why has one of Ruby's Pokémon run away? Meanwhile, the Hoenn region is on the verge of destruction as two Legendary Pokémon clash in the depths of the ocean...and only Ruby knows how to reach them to intervene!Then, what will happen when evil Team Aqua and equally evil Team Magma team up?!

$9.99

• PSYREN VOL 13 GN

1936126487?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Toshiaki Iwashiro

Under Miroku Amagi's leadership, W.I.S.E is growing steadily larger and more powerful, but Ageha and his fellow Psionists are unable to ascertain their whereabouts. In a desperate effort to prevent the giant meteor Ouroboros from striking the earth, Ageha hatches a dangerous plan...

$9.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180REGULAR SHOW #5

1936126770?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) K.C. Green, Brandon T. Snider (A) Allison Strejlau, Wook Jin Clark (CA) Phil Jacobson, Andy Hirsch
    Great place to start for new readers! Mordecai and Rigby are once again finding themselves in a situation that they will naturally make worse! Get ready for this thrill ride of an issue! Written by acclaimed cartoonist KC Green (GUNSHOW) and with incentive covers pretty enough to hang in your rec room!

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180REGULAR SHOW SKIPS #1

1936127991?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W/A) Madeline Rupert (CA) Madeline Rupert, Kel McDonald

WHY WE LOVE IT: No one is more mysterious in the crazy world of REGULAR SHOW than Skips, the park's enigmatic yeti groundskeeper who always seems to know what's going on. Finally, we get to see the world from his point of view.

WHY YOU'LL LOVE IT: Because you know that REGULAR SHOW is anything but ordinary...and newcomer Mad

Rupert has crafted a comic that is extraordinary.

WHAT'S IT ABOUT: Pops decides to take the team on a mini-for all the good work they've done. Little does Skips know, this vacation is not going to be a restful one...

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROBOCOP: LAST STAND #4

1936128136?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Frank Miller, Steven Grant (A) Korkut Öztekin (CA) Declan Shalvey

Roaring down the burning streets of a dying city in a juiced-cruiser, RoboCop must disappear into the night or meet his end by the onslaught of OCP officers on his tail. Barely functioning and fighting to maintain consciousness, RoboCop will need all the help he can get to survive.

$3.99

Frank Miller? Is this a reprint, or is he still working?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROBYN HOOD VOL 2: WANTED TP

1936128294?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Patrick Shand (A) Larry Watts (CA) Artgerm

ROBYN HOOD RETURNS IN THIS NEW, EPIC STORY ARC!

As a mysterious villain calling himself "the Sheriff" begins to terrorize Nottingham, the people that Robyn once liberated are again in need of her help. But with the police searching for her on Earth, Robyn has her own problems. Can Robyn rise up and be the hero that Nottingham needs, or will she be forced to face the consequences of her own actions? Find out in the sequel to the fan-favorite series, Robyn Hood: Wanted!

$15.99

I'm glad to see so many myths and stories re-inventing the central hero as a female, because we need to balance the scales. But some part of me is pretty sure it's being done just to get a set of boobs on the cover every issue. I hope I'm wrong.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROGUES #5

1936130145?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AMIGO COMICS

(W) El Torres (A) Diego Galindo, Carmelo Gonzalez (CA) Juan Carlos Ruiz

The criminals in the City of Crime are almost wiped out. But the Great Families of the Thieves' Brotherhood have an ambitious plan: Gathering the most dangerous, vicious and villainous crooks, they just need the most notorious-but-not-so-vicious rogues - Bram and The Weasel - to guide them through the secret passages and assault the Grey Palace itself!

$3.99

This is probably the best book Amigo puts out, as the artwork is really good. The story is a little juvenile, but I've only read one issue, so I might have just gotten a bad impression.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROY THOMAS PRESENTS BRIEFER FRANKENSTEIN 1945-1946 HC

1936131709?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Roy Thomas & Various (A/CA) Dick Briefer
    Dick Briefer's Frankenstein for Prize Comics is widely regarded as being America's first ongoing horror series. Indeed, it was Briefer's work that probably caused the creature to be actually named as Frankenstein instead of the nameless monstrosity from Shelley's novel. Splitting the stories between two stools - humor and horror - Briefer's tales are absorbing and unsettling in equal parts. Some of the humorous material has already been reprinted, though not necessarily in order nor in total. Until now, of course! This volume collects stories published between 1945 and November/December 1946.

$49.99

I've heard "Dick Briefer's Frankenstein" mentioned in reverent tones all my life, but now that I've read some of it (in the Craig Yoe book), I can't say I'm impressed. But I'll still get the collection, in case there's something I missed.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ROY THOMAS PRESENTS PLANET COMICS VOL 1 HC

1936131698?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: PS ARTBOOKS

(W) Carmine Infantino (A) Dick Briefer & Various

The first volume of the "out of this furshlugginer world" adventures of the awe-filled Planet Comics presents stories that appeared from Fiction House over a thirteen-year period ending in 1953. They're all here - Flint Baker, Reef Ryan, The Space Rangers, Gale Allen, Star Pirate, Mysta of the Moon, Norge Benson, plus many more and a bevy of the most scantily-clad females you're likely to see outside of Silvio Dante's Bada Bing strip joint in The Sopranos. This volume collects the first four issues from January 1940 to April 1940. Forward by Carmine Infantino.

$47.99

I've seen lots of cool Planet Comics covers in my long life, but never read a single interior story that I can remember. I'm guessing the quality ended at the cover. But what the heck, I'm in!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SAILOR MOON KODANSHA ED BOX SET #2 VOL 7-12 TP

1936131741?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Naoko Takeuchi

Usagi Tsukino is a normal girl until she meets up with Luna, a talking cat, who tells her that she is Sailor Moon. As Sailor Moon, Usagi must fight evils and enforce justice, in the name of the Moon and the mysterious Moon Princess. She meets other girls destined to be Sailor Senshi (Sailor Scouts), and together, they fight the forces of evil!

$65.94

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SANKAREA VOL 3: UNDYING LOVE GN

1936131748?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Mitsuru Hattori

Since he was little, Chihiro has felt an unusual emotional connection to zombie movies. It's not that he feels bad for the survivors - instead he fantasizes about comforting the poor undead girls they slaughter! When his beloved pet passes away, he decides to brew up a resurrection potion in secret. But he's discovered by popular girl and local heiress Sanka Rea, whose life isn't as perfect as it seems - and Furuya suggests that she could serve as a test subject!

$10.99

OK, this sounds creepy even for manga.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SCOTT PILGRIM COLOR VOL 4 HC

1936131786?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ONI PRESS INC.

(W/A/CA) Bryan Lee O'Malley

The full color re-mastering of the Scott Pilgrim epic continues! Its summertime, but who can relax? Scott's relationship with Ramona Flowers is sweeter than ever, but he's still got girl troubles, seven evil ex-boyfriends still want to kill him, and worst of all, now Ramona wants him to get a job?!? Kicks, punches, rock & roll, subspace, half-ninjas, experience points, samurai swords, girly action, and laughable attempts to seek gainful employment are all that stand in the way of Scott Pilgrim getting it together! Includes previously unpublished extras, deleted scenes, and exclusive bonus content, all in glorious color!

$24.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SCREWED #6

1936131892?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

(W) Keith Thomas, Tyler Kirkham (A) David Miller (CA) Tyler Kirkham, Oracle

It's been a long and crazy road for Anne, but can it finally come to an end? While desperately racing to save Erin from the maniacal Suture, Anne finds herself face to face with the man who "screwed" her out of her happy life. Broken, exhausted and desperately holding onto sanity, she's the only one who can possibly stop the monsters and save Erin before it's too late! Don't miss this electrifying final chapter of Tyler Kirkham's Screwed!

$2.99

Looking at the covers, I'm guessing this is a modern take on Frankenstein, only with a girl stitched together. Maybe she can team up with Robyn Hood, above.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936134150?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936136525?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHADOW NOW #2 (OF 6)

1936136599?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) David Liss (A) Colton Worley (CA) Tim Bradstreet

The Shadow Network is in tatters, Lamont Cranston lies near death, and Shiwan Khan is on the rise, but it's mistake to count out the Shadow! From the ashes of his ruined life, Cranston begins to rebuild all he has lost. Meanwhile, Khan expands his own reach, and a major new player in the Shadow continuity is revealed. It's the Shadow like you've never seen him before!

$3.99

Tim Bradstreet, that is one awesome cover, dude.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SHAHRAZAD #1

1936136729?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BIG DOG INK

(W) Kim Hutchinson, Kari Castor (A) Mike Krome (CA) Mike Krome, J. Scott Campbell

A new heroine rises from the legends of the ancient world. Shahrazad was known for her amazing stories of 1001 Arabian Nights, but now it is time to tell her story! She lives a life unlike anything you could imagine. An existence that spans generations as well as genres. In this new ongoing series, Shahrazad stares into the storms on the horizon with determination, but the forces of nature, and of history, are not to be taken lightly!

$3.50

And here is an actual heroine from mythology, only a little more active than in her original tales!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SKIP BEAT 3-IN-1 ED VOL 6 TP

1936136895?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Yoshiki Nakamura

Saving Kyoko from Reino's attack has finally knocked some sense into Sho's head, but before he can tell Kyoko how he feels, Ren shows up to ruin the moment. But Kyoko's got bigger problems to deal with than their secret battle for her affections - she's in danger of being typecast as creepy and twisted! How will she ever get to play a beautiful princess if everyone just wants her to play the damaged bully?!

$14.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SPIDER VOL 2: BUSINESSMAN FROM HELL TP

1936137163?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) David Liss (A) Ivan Rodriquez

Who has the drive, the intelligence, and the means to destroy the Spider? The Fly, a playboy with all the resources of Richard Wentworth's masked alter-ego! Dedicated to criminal perfection, the Fly targets the outlaw hero and the city itself in the midst of a serial killer's rampage and terrorist attacks! Will the Spider overcome the Fly's machinations and prevent the wholesale slaughter of every police officer in the Big Apple.
    Collects issues #7-12.

$19.99

When I was younger, I pronounced this character as SpiderMasterOfMen as all one word, because every old cover pulp cover I saw reprinted read that way. Now, if it doesn't say "Master of Men," I feel a little let down.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180STEAM ENGINES OF OZ #3

1936139657?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCANA STUDIO

(W) Erik W. Hendrix (A/CA) Yannis Roumboulias

The Tin Man and his Emerald Army face off against Victoria and her unlikely allies. Do they stand a chance against the Emerald City's deadliest weapons? Surprises abound in the final chapter of the first arc in this epic SteamPunk re-imagining of Oz. Who joins in the fray and whatever happened to Scarecrow? Secrets will be revealed and loyalties tested. Who will be left standing in the end?

$3.99

A lot of steampunk is just silly, but this is a really cool concept. Anybody seen it?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180STEAM ENGINES OF OZ VOL 1 TP

1936142090?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ARCANA STUDIO

(W) Erik W. Hendrix, Sean O'Reilly (A/CA) Yannis Roumboulias

Arcana Comics & SteamPunk Originals collects the first four chapters of an epic SteamPunk future set in the world of Oz. A century after the witch was killed, the Emerald City is ruled by a once-revered hero, and salvation comes from the unlikely wrench of young Victoria Wright. She comes to find out the smallest of actions can have much larger implications, and the most insignificant of us can change the world. Rediscover old friends and new heroes along the way, and learn how something that was once a gift can turn into a curse.

$19.95

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180STEAMPUNK HALLOWEEN #1 2013

1936144488?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ANTARCTIC PRESS

(W/A/CA) Various

Even on All Hallows' Eve, ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggedy beasties stand no chance against intrepid heroes and explorers armed with the latest steam-driven technology...or do they? Will phantoms of phlogiston fall before the stalwarts of steam, or will they be bold enough to best the brass and glass?

$3.50

BOOOOOOOOOBS!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180STROBE EDGE VOL 7 GN

1936146513?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Io Sakisaka

Ninako is thrilled that she's in the same class as Ren for the new school year, but is their closeness due to the fact that he only sees her as a friend? Meanwhile, Ninako's friend Sayuri faces an old flame's ardor... Will her past love stay in the past?

$9.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SUICIDE RISK #7

1936148788?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: BOOM ENTERTAINMENT

(W) Mike Carey (A) Elena Casagrande (CA) Tommy Lee Edwards

With the Nightmare Crew's true plan revealed, Leo Winters must test the very limits of his burgeoning power to stop them -but will using his powers play right into their hands? Or, cause an even bigger tragedy than the one Leo's putting so much at risk trying to stop?

$3.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180SWEET REIN VOL 1 GN

1936148837?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Sakura Tsukuba

Sad at the thought of spending Christmas alone, Kurumi Sagara goes out for a walk. While she's crossing the street, a boy bumps into her, and a rein suddenly appears that binds them together. The overjoyed boy tells her she's his master and that she's a Santa Claus. Kurumi dismisses him as a crazy person, but then he transforms into a reindeer?!.

$9.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180TEGAMI BACHI VOL 15 GN

1936149492?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Hiroyuki Asada

Searching for the truth about Amberground, Lag heads home to the little town of Campbell. There, a woman named Sabrina Mary holds the secrets he seeks. But can he handle what he learns about his world, his government...and his own mother?

$9.99

I feel guilty not saying more about all this manga, but I'd rather be silent and thought a fool than open my mouth and confirm it.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180TEZUKA ODE TO KIRIHITO PART 2 SC

1936149598?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Osamu Tezuka

From Vertical, Inc.! The young doctor Kirihito Osanai has been introduced to the Monmow disease, which transforms humans into dog-like beasts and then kills them within a month of the transformation. While studying the disease's pathology, Kirihito becomes an unwilling test subject for the hospital's research as he contracts the disease, which alienates him from his fiancee and his colleagues. As the disease begins its transformation, Kirihito's attitude toward life changes and he accepts his fate. While he becomes a spiritual figure to a rural village, his former colleagues seek to uncover the mystery behind the disease. Originally published in three volumes in the 1970s, this groundbreaking graphic novel examines the ethics of medicine and the line between man and nature. The complete story is published in a 2-volume collection.

$14.95

• THE LONE RANGER #19

1936121845?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Ande Parks (A) Esteve Polls (CA) Francesco Francavilla

Beginning a series of stand-alone tales from the Old West, this issue revisits an unknown part of Tonto's past. Tonto will finally come face to face with the rogue Indian braves who indirectly caused the deaths of his wife and son. The outcome of their meeting alters Tonto's life forever. This issue also reveals how Tonto acquired his horse, Scout. Vengeance, blood and horses as a secret chapter of Tonto's past unfolds.

$3.99

I got the Dynamite Lone Ranger books for a while, but kinda drifted away. Am I missing anything?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180TRISH OUT OF WATER #2

1936126560?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936126733?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ASPEN MLT INC

(W) Vince Hernandez (A) Giuseppe Cafaro (CA) Randy Green

What would you do if your life was turned upside down-- before it even really started?
    After the shocking and life-altering discovery in her home, and the subsequent reveal that her boyfriend was cheating on her behind her back, Trish quickly realized that her life will never truly be the same. However, the discovery that she may be something altogether more amazing will lead to even further questions than she could have ever imagined-including who is now out to kill her!

Aspen's own Vince Hernandez is joined by the artistic talents of Giuseppe Cafaro and Andrea Dotta to bring to you Aspen's newest hit series, TRISH OUT OF WATER!

$3.99

Get it? TRISH out of water. TRISH. Rhymes with FISH. Get it? Get it? Huh? Get it?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180UBER #3

1936126695?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

(W) Kieron Gillen (A/CA) Canaan White

What would comics have looked like in the World of Uber? Would this have been the Action #1 cover, drawn by series artist Caanan White? Now you can add this very limited 1500 copy edition to your collection!

$5.99

OK, that's just wrong.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180UBER #4 

1936128125?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

The Uber War Crimes cover series continues its line of rare collectible images of the brutal war. Now you can add this very limited 1500 copy edition to your collection, with an exclusive new cover by series artist Caanan White!

$5.99

I'm trying to figure out what war crime this guy has done. Or has discovered. Or whatever it is this cover is trying to tell me. Because it just looks like a guy standing around smoking. Well, smoking from his eyes, but otherwise it seems unremarkable.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180UBER #7

1936128306?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

KIERON GILLEN's Uber has taken the comics world by storm. The war in the Pacific has changed. With the deployment of Ubers into the naval combat, suddenly the balance of power is shifting. The Japanese super soldiers have a specific goal and supported by their Kamikaze pilots, they are succeeding in devastating the Allied fleet. As the Allies race to catch up to their enemies' development of Ubers, they must find a way to stem the tide of destruction raining down upon them. Available with Regular or Wraparound cover by Caanan White, Propaganda Poster cover by Michael Dipascale, and a special Blitzkrieg Incentive cover by Caanan White

$3.99

Oh, come on! Now the Japanese are getting into the act? Jeebus, the Allies don't have a chance!

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936128343?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936130075?profile=RESIZE_320x320

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180ULTIMO VOL 9 GN

1936131436?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W) Stan Lee, Hiroyuki Takei (A/CA) Hiroyuki Takei

Yamato decides that the only way to return his life to normal is to defeat the dastardly puppet master Dunstan, and to do that he'll need all the doji on his side. Unfortunately, he hasn't quite figured out yet what is good and what is evil! Memories from past lives reveal centuries-long love-hate relationships between doji and their masters - both good and evil! Untangling the threads is a battle in itself...

$9.99

Look at the credits: Stan Lee. Who once wrote another Ultimo, you might recall. Does anyone know what the heck this is all about?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180USAGI YOJIMBO: RONIN VOL 1 SC (NEW PTG)

1936131485?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

(W/A/CA) Stan Sakai

This seminal book collects the classic original Usagi stories chronicling a time of settling unrest and political intrigue, told through the story of a wandering and masterless samurai named Miyamoto Usagi, AKA Usagi Yojimbo!

$16.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180VAMPIRE KNIGHT VOL 17 TP

1936133837?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W/A/CA) Matsuri Hino

Kaname has returned Cross Academy to kill Sara Shirabuki. Zero has joined forces with Sara, leaving Yuki in the middle of the conflict. Even if Kaname's ultimate goal is to kill all purebloods, is Yuki ready to fight him? Age Rating: T+

$9.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180VAMPIRELLA #36

1936134067?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936136459?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Brandon Jerwa (A) Patrick Berkenkotter (CA) Fabiano Neves

Vampirella's new leadership role in the monster world has been as much a catalyst for division as it has for unity. Even with her recent victories, there are some who believe she's heading down the wrong path...and Adam Van Helsing has decided that it's time to let her know. Honesty is the key to a healthy relationship, right?

$3.99

You know, I've never read an adequate in-story explanation for Vampirella's outfit (impractical, gravity-defying, bizarre, chilly), or why she continues to wear it on Earth when A) it will draw attention, and B) she has many other options available. I mean, I know it's there as "fan service," but is there an in-story reason? Anybody know?

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180VAMPIRELLA STRIKES TP

1936136491?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: DYNAMIC FORCES

(W) Tom Sniegoski (A) Johnny Desjardins (CA) Michael Turner

For years, the raven-haired heroine Vampirella has hunted the world's supernatural threats, all the while fighting back her own bloodthirsty nature. After a night out in Boston leads to particularly brutal violence, she seeks comfort in her Brownstone home... but discovers the
    most unexpected surprise of all. Angels have been sent to her by God - and they come asking for help! Enter Janus, a former soldier in the legion of Heaven, who skirts the line between the damned and divine. Only a fallen angel can navigate Vampirella through the seedy, demon-run underworld, where she hopes to find the source of an addictive, body-altering drug derived from archangel blood. Will Vampirella's mission redeem her... or will she uncover secrets so shocking that their discovery will damn her forever?

$19.99

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180WOLFSMUND VOL 2 GN

1936138863?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: RANDOM HOUSE

(W/A/CA) Mitsuhisa Kuji

It is the 14th-century and as the Swiss begin to initiate their movements toward independence a fortress in the Alps known as the Wolfsmund continues to strike fear amongst the German and Italian communities that dare threaten Hapsburg (Austrian) rule!

$12.95

The description does not provide explanation for the cover illustration, which fills me with dread. Baron, what manga genre is this? Because you know there is one.

1936119977?profile=RESIZE_180x180YU-GI-OH 5DS VOL 5 GN

1936138944?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: VIZ LLC

(W) Masahiro Hikokubo (A/CA) Masashi Sato

Kalin's handless combo Type Zero has Jack backed into a corner! However, the King just might have a secret plan for victory. Meanwhile, the Skeleton Knight appears and tells Yusei that Sect is in the aerial fortress beyond the Duel Gate! Can Yusei's loyalty overcome Sect's thirst for power and save Sect from the Skeleton Knight?

$9.99

• You know, I'll just skip over the "revolving door of death" debate. What's the point? It's flagrantly obvious that nobody really dies in comics any more, and Nightcrawler was a pretty popular character at one point, and he starred in one of the movies, so his return was inevitable.

I was never a big Kurt Wagner fan, back when he was alive the first time. He was all right, you know, but not one of my favorites. However, I can think of a number of people (hi, Fluit family!) who are probably kicking up their heels. And good for them!

So let's give Kurt a big ol' "Welcome back, bub." And somebody tidy up Charles Xavier's room, all right? I'm sure he'll be needing it soon.

"Hi, Cap!"  As you guessed, I'm happy to see Kurt return, even though I knew it would happen sooner or later.  However, his death was really well done (i wrote an obituary column for him at the time) and I can only hope that his return is as well-written.   

Wait, what? Are the Danger Girl and G.I. Joe concepts related somehow? If not, why is IDW packaging them together?

They had a crossover mini-series earlier this summer.  It was actually a pretty good pairing as the concepts have a lot in common- kind of like if Indiana Jones and Tomb Raider met up. 

I've never cared a bit for this character, whose origin and abilities are confusing and who speaks in a worse Pepe LePew accent than Gambit. And speaking of Gambit, I think Fantomex is supposed to be another one of those "lovable rogues" that I don't find lovable at all. But, again, I know my opinion isn't universal.

I shared your opinion regarding Fantomex until recently but Rick Remender of all people changed my mind with his depiction of Fantomex in Uncanny X-Force.  

• AMAZING X-MEN #1 MCGUINNESS WRAPAROUND
    BATMAN BLACK & WHITE #3 (OF 6) Love this book so much! Stories: uneven but sound. Art: AWESOME.
    EAST OF WEST #7
    MIGHTY AVENGERS #3 INF
    QUANTUM & WOODY #5 REG ROBINSON

This reply was deleted.