COMICS-RELATED

BATMAN: YEAR ONE COMMEMORATIVE EDITION

Warner Bros. Home Entertainment | PG-13 | $33.99 (4K Ultra HD Combo Pack)

Originally released on Blu-ray and DVD in 2011, Batman: Year One is based on the landmark 1987 DC titles from 12-time Eisner Award winner and Eisner Award Hall of Fame member Frank Miller and illustrator David Mazzucchelli. The film depicts young Bruce Wayne’s return to Gotham City in his first attempts to fight injustice as a costumed Super Hero. The playboy billionaire chooses the guise of a giant bat to combat crime, creates an early bond with a young Lieutenant James Gordon (who is already battling corruption from inside the police department), inadvertently plays a role in the birth of Catwoman, and helps to bring down a crooked political system that infests Gotham City.

CLICK HERE for more.

THE LIFE AND TIMES OF SCROOGE MCDUCK DELUXE EDITION SIGNING (Nov. 11)

This oversized full color deluxe edition of Don Rosa’s Duckburg serial comes slipcased with a special commemorative coin *and* signed copies are available from Premiere Collectibles! They are hosting the official launch for The Complete Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck Deluxe Edition on Don Rosa’s Facebook page on Thursday, November 11th at 4 pm Eastern/ 3 pm Central/ 1 pm Pacific—if you place your order at https://premierecollectibles.com/scroogedeluxe, you can submit a question for Don if you’d like and you’ll be entered to win a hand-signed copy autographed by Don!

CLICK HERE for more.

DISNEY+ DAY (Nov. 12)

Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings and Jungle Cruise both drop, plus announcements and other content.

CLICK HERE for more.

THE TOP FIVE

FANTASTIC FOUR NO. 1 PANEL BY PANEL

Abrams ComicArts | $40.00

Story: Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Chip Kidd | Art: Jack Kirby | Introduction: Walter Mosley | Commentaries: Mark Evanier | Photographer: Geoff Spear | Essay: Tom Brevoort

The first issue of Fantastic Four by legendary creators Stan Lee and Jack Kirby introduced fans to a now-iconic team of superheroes — Mister Fantastic, the Invisible Girl, the Human Torch, and the Thing — ushering in the modern Marvel Age of comics. Timed for the 60th anniversary, this re-imagining by award-winning graphic designer Chip Kidd uses an original copy of the comic book to present the classic story as you’ve never seen it before — oversized and up-close — a panel-by-panel exploration of the entire issue that captures every single detail and nuance.

CC sez: I've been skeptical about this sort of thing ever since I got some annotated books and discovered that whatever "experts" were doing the annotation knew considerably less than I did about ... well, everything.

But the pedigree on this particular thing is so impressive that I'm tempted to buy it sight unseen.

ROBIN & BATMAN #1 (OF 3)

DC Comics | 40 pages | Prestige format | $5.99

Story: Jeff Lemire | Art/Cover: Dustin Nguyen | Variants: Jeff Lemire, Rafael Albuquerque

The Eisner-winning superstar team of writer Jeff Lemire (SWEET TOOTH) and artist Dustin Nguyen (BATMAN) are reuniting after their incredible run on DESCENDER and ASCENDER for ROBIN & BATMAN, a three-issue miniseries exploring the beginning of Dick Grayson’s crime-fighting career.

The world’s first sidekick is just starting out at the side of Batman, struggling to find his own path from personal tragedy to being a superhero. It’s an intimate look at the first growing pains of one of the legends of Gotham City.

CC sez: It's only taken 80 years! I fervently hope and pray that Batman isn't a total psycho in this one, though. I'd really love a few scenes where he shows the boy some parental love.

SMART GIRL HC

Titan | 208 oages | $29.99

Creator: Fernando Dagnino

Dagnino debuts his stunning story about a rogue android who has become self-aware and discovers what it means to be alive.

Yuki, un-affectionately called "scrappy" by her owner, is a Smart Girl  an android servant used for everything from security and domestics to carnal pleasure. When she starts to malfunction, she is soon to be replaced and destroyed. But something in her changes, and Yuki doesn’t accept her end. Instead, she becomes self-aware …

CC sez: While I always laugh when women in various apocalypse stories look fantastic  who does their hair, exactly?  I'm not at all surprised that robot women in comics are hot. If you were a scientist, would you build an ugly robot? Something you'd have to look at every day for the rest of your life? I rest my case.

VAMPIRELLA #25

Dynamite | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Story:  Christopher Priest | Art: Ergün Gündüz | Covers: Lucio Parrillo (A), Shannon Maer (B), Rose Besch (C), KyuYong Eom (D), Lorraine Cosplay (E), Ergün Gündüz (F), Zoe Lacchei (G), InHyuk Lee (H-RI), Maria Laura Sanapo (I-RI), Emanuela Lupacchino (J-RI), Marco Mastrazzo (K-RI), Maria Laura Sanapo (L-RI/BW), Rose Besch (M-RI/Monochromatic), Lucio Parrillo (N-RI/BW), InHyuk Lee (O-RI/Virgin), Lorraine Cosplay (P-RI/Virgin), Marco Mastrazzo (Q-RI/Virgin), Marco Mastrazzo (R-RI/ BW), Lucio Parrillo (S-RI/BW Virgin), KyuYong Eom (T-RI/Virgin), Zoe Lacchie (U-RI/Virgin)

RED MASS is here!

Can Vampirella cheat fate? That’s the question our interstellar vampire faces as she unites in unholy matrimony with the man who would be DRACULA!

Yes, you read that right. Don’t miss the WEDDING OF THE CENTURY as Vampi forges a bond in blood to save the life of an innocent man. And, unlike certain other weddings, this one will actually happen!

PLUS: It’s the FINAL ISSUE of the series!

Yes, you read that right. CHRISTOPHER PRIEST and ERGÜN GÜNDÜZ’s epic 25 issue journey comes to its conclusion! (Or does it?)

So check the registry, clean your tuxedo and save the date, ‘cause only Vampi could end her 50th anniversary celebration with a wedding!

CC se: This is the last issue of Christopher Priest's run. That's 25 issues in all, which would make for a nice omnibus, wouldn't you say?

WHATS THE FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE #1

Image | $4.99/$14.99 (with vinyl record)

Story: Matthew Rosenberg | Art/Cover: Tyler Boss| Covers: Boss, Martin, Young, Bendis

The team behind the breakout hit series 4 Kids Walk into a Bank reunite with a brand new series destined to be every bit the critical darling as its predecessor: What’s the Furthest Place from Here? This all new series sees this creative duo move to Image Comics and follows up the tease of something new from the team at the publisher’s Image Expo.

Matthew Rosenberg said, "We knew whatever we did after 4 Kids would have to be something ambitious and crazy, but we also needed it to feel like something that only Tyler and I could make. I feel like we really accomplished all of that here.”

The world has ended. Now all that remains are gangs of children living among the ruins. But Sid believes there must be something more out there. When she disappears into the wastelands her gang will risk everything to bring her home. A story about the things that matter most- Your survival, your loved ones, and your record collection.

Artist and co-creator Tyler Boss continued, “Matt and I really wanted to get outside of our comfort zone with this book and build it in a new and (hopefully) exciting way. Part of that was being unafraid to try something different and the other part was having a partner in Image who believed in us. Couldn't be happier to have our weird little big book's home be with Image.”

What’s the Furthest Place From Here? is an all-new series kicking off with a triple-sized first issue this November. There will also be a "deluxe" version that comes with an exclusive vinyl single featuring all-new music from Blake Schwarzenbach of Jawbreaker and Jets to Brazil, and Joyce Manor. These singles will be pressed in limited quantities, with comic shops to be the exclusive source for securing a copy, and each subsequent issue will also have a deluxe option with a new and exclusive accompanying single, with the lineup to be announced alongside the preorder window.

The first issue is solicited in the September dated Diamond PREVIEWS catalog and will be priced at $4.99 for one four special variant covers, and $14.99 with an exclusive cover and the accompanying vinyl single. Reserve your copy with your favorite local comic shop today, and follow creators Matthew Rosenberg and Tyler Boss, along with Image Comics for upcoming announcements around special covers and artists contributing to the soundtrack!

CC sez: Once again I am swayed by comics creators making music to add the related book to my Top Five. Why? Because I'm always impressed when people do things I can't!

This time, they're not just making music, but actually putting vinyl records in the book! 

MORE ITEMS OF NOTE

AMETHYST: PRINCESS OF GEMWORLD GN

DC Comics | Ages 8-12 | $9.99

Story: Shannon Hale & Dean Hale | Art/Colors: Asiah Fulmore

Amaya, Princess of House Amethyst in Gemworld, is something of a troublemaker. She and her brother have great fun together until a magical prank goes much too far and her parents ground her … to Earth! They hope a whole week in the mundane world will teach her that magic is a privilege … and maybe washing dishes by hand will help her realize the palace servants should be respected.

Three years later, Amy has settled into middle school and ordinary life. She doesn’t remember any other home. So when a Prince of the Realm brings her home and restores her magical destiny, how will she cope?

CC sez: This is certainly a new take on the character, who's always been a bit of a goody two shoes. Glad to see her Pippi Longstocking side come out.

BATMAN AND ROBIN AND HOWARD GN

DC Comics | $9.99

Story/Art: Jeffrey Brown

Sidelined by a crime-fighting field trip gone wrong, Damian Wayne must refocus his attention on his life as an average student and must learn how to be a team player — especially when meets his match in his new rival, Howard.

To Damian Wayne, there is nothing more important than protecting the streets of Gotham City as Robin. But when he makes a critical mistake while out on patrol, Damian finds himself benched. And what’s more, Damian’s dad, Bruce Wayne — a.k.a. Batman — decides that starting over in a new school will be just the distraction Damian needs from his superhero routine.

Certain that Gotham Metro Academy has nothing to teach him, Damian is completely unprepared for the challenge he finds in Howard — the smartest and most athletic kid in school. The boys’ rivalry is instantaneous and fierce … and both are sure only one of them can be the best in their class.

Written and illustrated by New York Times bestselling author Jeffrey Brown (the Jedi Academy series, Darth Vader and Son series), Batman and Robin and Howard is a hilarious, heartwarming tale.

“It was really exciting to have a chance to make a book with Batman — a character I’ve enjoyed seeing so many different versions of — but it turned out what I enjoyed even more was writing a story that showed Robin’s character, beyond the sidekick surface,” said Brown. “I wanted to take these superheroes out of their element a little, show how they might struggle in the real world like the rest of us — or maybe show how the rest of us can have a heroic side, too. And when Robin meets Howard, I thought readers might see that a friendly rivalry can be better than a rivalry, but sometimes just being friends is the best.”

CC sez: An excerpt of this was one of DC's FCBD offerings. It doesn't work for me; the hard edges I like most about Damian are shaved off here. But I don't expect continuity to be strictly maintained on books for young readers, like this one. The little brats can get into the grim-n-gritty (tm) when they grow up, like the rest of us.

NYX #1

Dynamite | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Christos Gage | Art: Marcelo Borstel | Covers: Lucio Parrillo (A), Rose Besch (B), Fernando Dagnino (C), Greebo Vigonte (D), Blank Authentix (E), Greebo Dagnino (F-RI/Virgin), Fernando Dagnino (G-RI/Virgin), Rose Besch (H-RI/BW), Lucio Parrillo (I-RI/BW), Rose Besch (J-RI/BW Virgin)

From the pages of Vampirella and Sacred Six comes Nyx, daughter of a human and the mad god Chaos himself! Nyx’s mortal side has been growing stronger, troubling her with all-too human emotions. Fortunately (for her), there’s still the side of her that transforms into a demon of living flame...and requires her to feed on the life force of living beings to survive.

Can a half-demon find her place in our world ... happiness ... even love? Probably not, as she’s about to get dragged into her dad’s workplace problem.

CC sez: Hey, another Chaos character gets her own book. Glad to see Dynamite's doing something with them.

As for finding love ... anybody really believe Nyx will have trouble attracting men? I didn't think so.

PHENOMX #1

Image | $6.99

Story: John Leguizamo, Aram Rappaport, Joe Miciak | Art: Chris Batista | Covers: Jim Muñiz José Marzán Jr. & Juan Fernández; Todd McFarlane

PhenomX is heading to comic shops this November from acclaimed actor John Leguizamo. The first issue is an extra-length comic featuring cover art by Spawn creator Todd McFarlane.

McFarlane and Leguizamo first met on the set of the 1997 Spawn movie, where Leguizamo delivered a memorable performance as Spawn’s arch-enemy, The Clown. In 2018, the two creators re-connected at New York Comic Con and made the decision to put their heads together.

PhenomX centers around the character Max Gomez, who was wrongfully imprisoned and is desperate to regain his freedom. Max agrees to become a subject in an underground government experiment.

When the trial gives him phenomenal shape-shifting abilities, Gomez learns his new “freedom” requires surviving a super-powered war fought on the streets of NYC.

Fans have been anticipating Leguizamo’s Latin superhero since a crowdfunding campaign was announced in 2019 for this creator-owned project. The all-Latino creative team includes artist Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez — author of the comic series La Boriqueña — as well as cover art by Jim Muñiz, José Marzán Jr. and Juan Fernández.

“In today’s world, it’s incredibly important to support Latin artists,” said Leguizamo. “There is a lack of Latin representation in Hollywood, and it’s important to showcase Latin superheroes.”

“John has been a multi-talented artist for such a long time it was exciting to hear that he wanted to bring some of those talents into our comic industry and to help give a voice to a certain segment of society,” said McFarlane. “John is well regarded in the Latino entertainment world and we are both hoping that his character not only makes an impact here but across the globe, regardless of your background. Cool comic books should have a place everywhere."

A multiple Emmy- and Tony-award winning actor and a Golden Globe and Critics Choice nominee, Leguizamo is considered the most prolific modern playwright on Broadway with six successful shows. He made history with the highest-grossing solo play in Los Angeles, and his storytelling has garnered critical acclaim and been celebrated by audiences.

The first issue is an extra-length comic featuring cover art by Spawn creator Todd McFarlane. PhenomX centers around the character, Max Gomez, who was wrongfully imprisoned and is desperate to regain his freedom, and Max agrees to become a subject in an underground government experiment. When the trial gives him phenomenal shape-shifting abilities, Gomez learns his new “freedom” requires surviving a superpowered war fought on the streets of New York City.

The all-Latino creative team launching the series includes writers, Leguizamo, Aram Rappaport, Joe Miciak, Damian Slattery, artist Chris Batista, cover artists  inker Sabrina Cintron, colorist Chris Sotomayor and editor and creative director, Edgardo Miranda-Rodriguez.

CC sez: You know what I'd like to see? Instead of Emilia Clarke writing a comic book that stars a character that looks exactly like an idealized version of Emilia Clarke, and John Leguizamo writing a comic book that stars a character that exactly just like an idealized version of John Leguizamo? The reverse. I'd like to see these actors-cum-comics writers try their hand at writing someone who isn't exactly like themselves, just to show they're writers, and not simply narcissists using their position to write comics about themselves as superheroes, a gig many non-celebrities would give their eyeteeth for, but will never get the chance.

But I suppose no actor can envision a project in which they don't have the starring role. Which is why actors who write comics remain, in my eyes, celebrities. And not writers.

YMMV.

RED ROOM: THE ANTISOCIAL NETWORK

Fantagraphics | $22.99

By Ed Piskor

A cyberpunk, outlaw, splatterpunk masterpiece from the New York Times bestselling creator of Hip Hop Family Tree and X-Men: Grand Design!

Aided by the anonymous dark web and nearly untraceable cryptocurrency, a criminal subculture has emerged. It livestreams murders as entertainment. Who are the killers? Who are the victims? Who is paying to watch? How to stop it? Red Room is constructed as a series of interconnected stories, shining a light on the characters who exist in the ugliest of corners in cyberspace. Piskor cuts the graphic horror with his sharp sense of humor, gorgeous cartooning and dynamic storytelling. Red Room peels back the curtain on the side of humanity few of us knew existed, let alone understood. Fans and followers of Piskor's YouTube channel sensation, Cartoonist Kayfabe, have already made Red Room: The Antisocial Network one of the most eagerly anticipated and talked-about releases of 2021. It is the first in a series of graphic novels, with the second scheduled for release in Summer 2022.

CC sez: I got the FCBD issue. I got the first two issues of the regular book.

I have finished exactly 0 of them. I've tried to read them, but with each one, at some point, I say "Enough. This is vile. There is material all over my house that I can read instead, that won't make me feel like I need to scrub my brain with steel wool."

Maybe I just have to be in the mood. I'll try again at some later date.

CLICK HERE for preview.

STILLWATER #11

Image Comics | $3.99

Story: Chip Zdarsky | Art: Mike Spicer | Art/Cover: Ramon K. Perez

THE EXPLOSIVE TRUTH IS REVEALED IN STILLWATER BY ZDARSKY & PÉREZ #11

All the lies, secrets and manipulation have been leading to Stillwater By Zdarsky & Pérez #11, the next jaw-dropping issue of the hit Image/Skybound series from the Eisner Award-nominated team of Chip Zdarsky, Ramón K Pérez and Mike Spicer.

Who are the true masterminds behind the courthouse explosion? And what do they really want?

CC sez: That looks downright painful.

THE THING #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Walter Mosley | Art/Cover: Tom Reilly

THE NEXT BIG THING BEGINS HERE!

Renowned storyteller Walter Mosley brings his signature style to a sweeping saga of Yancy Street's favorite son that will range from the urban sprawl of the back alleys of Manhattan to the farthest reaches of the cosmos itself! A lonely evening and a chance encounter (or is it?) sends Ben Grimm embarking on a sojourn that will have him encountering - and battling - figures both old and new. Featuring guest appearances from figures drawn from throughout the Marvel Universe as well as precision artwork by Tom Reilly, THE NEXT BIG THING will remind audiences why the Thing is one of the most popular and beloved characters in the history of comics!

CC sez: Hard to believe I didn't get a press release on this. Maybe Marvel doesn't consider The Thing a big deal any more. Or maybe they're just embarrassed by those orange overalls.

TROVER SAVES THE UNIVERSE #4 (OF 5)

GET READY TO BE FLABBERGASTED BY THE STUNNING REVEAL OF DR. KILL’S EMPLOYER IN TROVER SAVES THE UNIVERSE #4

“All of the hilarious time and space fun that made the video game great translated brilliantly to the comic book medium.” — Comic Watch

Image/Skybound is excited to reveal a first look at Trover Saves The Universe #4, continuing the hit limited series from acclaimed author Tess Stone, based upon the eponymous hit video game by Justin Roiland, Co-Creator of Rick & Morty and CEO of Squanch Games.

When the shocking identity of his employer is revealed, Dr. Kill sets his sights on the ICJ! Can Klover and Bo escape the planet Sadsack to warn Trover, Pink Trover and the rest of the eyehole monsters in time? And how can they ever match up against Dr. Kill’s ultimate power baby? 

CC sez: It looks like it's for kids, but it's rated mature. I guess only gamers are going to get this, and if you're a gamer you know the score already.

VENOM#1

Marvel Comics | Teen+ | $5.99

Story: Ram V & Al Ewing | Art/Cover: Bryan Hitch | Inks: Alex SInclair

The next era of VENOM is here. Following Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman’s character-redefining run, Marvel’s resident master of horror, Al Ewing, and titan of terror Ram V will be team up with superstar artist Bryan Hitch for an all-new saga in VENOM #1. This mastermind team will bring readers a mind-bending and gut-wrenching tale of symbiosis that chronicles two journeys: Eddie Brock’s into space to fulfill his new duties as King in Black, and his son Dylan Brock’s while he tackles his new role as a Marvel superhero.  

These two adventures will intertwine and impact one another to create a singular and epic new vision, and fans can get their first taste at what’s to come in the all-new VENOM #1 trailer, featuring never-before-seen artwork.

“When my editors at Marvel reached out about taking on Venom alongside Al Ewing and Bryan Hitch, I was not prepared for the kind of creative thrill it has been ever since,” Ram V said. “This story is going to expand and push the symbiote narrative and lore in even more unexpected and fantastic directions. It is also an utter thrill having the sort of call and response mechanic I’ve had with a writer like Al and an artist of Bryan’s caliber. Fans and new readers, strap in — you ain’t seen nothin’ yet.”

CC sez: So there are two Venoms now? One on Earth and one in space? That makes an additional character for me to ignore!

CROSSOVERS/EVENTS

CHRISTMAS

ARCHIE & FRIENDS: CHRISTMAS CALAMITY #1 ONE-SHOT

Archie Comics | 32 pages | $2.99

Story: Bill Golliher | Art: Bill Golliher, Jim Amash, Glenn Whitmore, Jack Morelli | Cover: Bill Golliher, Rosario “Tito” Peña

Get ready to enjoy some festive fun … and some festive foul-ups in this collection of holiday hilarity and merry mix-ups featuring a BRAND NEW CLASSIC-STYLE STORY! When all the reindeer and elves aren’t feeling well on Christmas Eve, a hand-wringing Jingles relays the news to Archie and the gang… and even perpetual naughty-list dweller Reggie Mantle is convinced the gang must do what they can to save Christmas for everyone! Do Archie and his pals have what it takes to help Santa out of this jolly jam?

CC sez: That's no way to treat a dog! A reindeer, sure, but not a dog!

FEAR STATE

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #9

DC Comics | &7.99

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Khary Randolph

Written by Brandon Thomas, Alyssa Wong, Dan Watters, and Sam Johns Art by Cian Tormey, Vasco Georgiev, Nikola Cizmesija, and Karl Mostert Outsiders story: "FEAR STATE" TIE-IN! The Fearful has turned the Outsiders against each other! Tim Drake has entered the fray to save the manipulated team, but it won’t be enough. The future of the Outsiders depends on the Signal, but he’ll need help…from the world of Future State. Signal, meet Future State Duke Thomas, and listen to every warning he has to deliver! Batwoman story: "FEAR STATE" TIE-IN! Batwoman now has the help of her sister, Beth, who is currently disguised as Red Alice to hit the underground network of villains in order to trace where the Anti-Oracle is. The only problem is, all of this is too familiar for Beth…and as old habits die hard, so might this be for Beth in keeping Red Alice at bay. Azrael story: Dead criminals are walking the streets of Gotham City, and Azrael’s faith is shaken. Is the rapture truly upon us, and will this avenging angel be called home? Or is there a more sinister and human force at work, and what warrior has been stalking Jean-Paul Valley without him noticing? Threats to Azrael’s body and soul are here, and he’ll need more than a flaming sword to stop them. Tweedledee and Tweedledum story: After their last job with the Mad Hatter, Tweedledee and Tweedledum took their money and decided to live a quiet life…but a quiet life can be just as dangerous. Tweedledee has fallen ill, and Tweedledum will find out quickly that a pile of stolen money isn’t enough to survive in Gotham City. Will his wickeder ways prevail and see him turn to a life of crime to save his cousin’s life?

FUTURE STATE: GOTHAM #7

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Joshua Williamson, Dennis Culver | Art: Giannis Milonogiannis | Cover: Simone Di Meo

It’s all-out war as the "Hunt the Batman" arc comes to its pulse-pounding conclusion! The Next Batman faces off against Nightwing and the entire Bat-Family while Jason Todd, now known as Peacekeeper Red, must stop Warmonger from driving every citizen in Gotham City to riot. Can Bat and Red win this one? Can they even survive?

I AM BATMAN #3

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: John Ridley | Art: Stephen Segovia | Cover: Gerardo Zaffino

Jace attempts to stem the tide of misinformation from the Seer as this mysterious adversary sends a heavily armed mob to a juvenile detention facility to break out a member of their militia. When Jace realizes his mother, Tanya, is at the facility, he’ll stop at nothing to save her! But will he be too late?

PRESS RELEASES

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #78

Marvel Comics| Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Kelly Thompson | Art: Sara Pichelli | Beyond Board: Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason, Zeb Wells, Kelly Thompson | Cover: Art Adams

This November, fans will see Ben Reilly’s early outings as Spider-Man in the pages of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #78-80. Now backed by the Beyond Corporation, Spider-Man is in for a slew of dangerous missions. After being brutally taken down by Morbius, Spider-Man will fall into a trap by one the deadliest foes in his legendary rogue gallery: Kraven the Hunter! The hunter is going to test his prey like never before and Spider-Man is sent into a hallucinatory spiral that will test his sanity and force him to do the impossible.

Also arriving in November will be AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #78.BEY, a pivotal issue written by Jed MacKay with art by Eleonora Carlini that will feature the Daughters of the Dragon as Spider-Man’s tough new trainers! But is even their skill level enough for the mission that the Beyond Corporation is about to send them on? This special installment of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN will debut a mysterious new villain: OBSIDIAN STAR!

Also on sale 11/10: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #78.BEY

On sale 11/17: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #79

On sale 11/24: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #80

BETTER PLACE GN

IDW | 160 pages | Middle Grade, 8+ | $19.99

Mixed-color (partially in B&W, partially in color) softcover graphic novel with flaps

Story: Duane Murray | Art: Shawn Daley

This sidekick misses his superhero. ... After hearing that his grandfather has gone to a "better place," a boy sets off on a grand adventure to find him, dressed as his favorite comic book character.

Dylan just moved to a new house, with no friends, and a mother who doesn’t have time for him. Luckily, he has his grandad. Together, they are Red Rocket and Kid Cosmo, who save the universe every day with the power of imagination! But one day, Dylan learns that his grandad is suddenly gone … to a “better place.” Now, Kid Cosmo will have to save the day, all by himself.

The debut graphic novel from the talented Toronto team of Duane Murray and Shawn Daley, Better Place also features guest art contributions from such familiar faces as Jeff Lemire, Matt Kindt, Nate Powell, and more!

DARK SOULS: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION TPB

Titan | 384 pages | $34.99

Story: George Mann | Art: Alan Quah

Ten years after Dark Souls was first released on the PlayStation, comes the ultimate collection of the comic series inspired by one of the most influential games of the 21st century!

Step back into the Kingdom of Lordan 10 years after its first appearance in Dark Souls and immerse yourself in the complete collection of Titan Comics' graphic novel series. Dark Souls: The Breath of Andolus, Dark Souls: Winter's Spite, Dark Souls: Legends of the Flame, Dark Souls: Tales of Ember and Dark Souls: The Age of Fire are collected in this anniversary edition!

EPIC TAVERN'S TALES FROM THE FANTASTICAL CRIMES UNIT #1

Scout Comics | $3.99

Story: Shawn French | Art: Steve Mardo| Colors: Steve Lavigne

Scout Comics & Entertainment Holdings, Inc and Hyperkinetic Studios are proud to announce the comic book adaption of the popular video game EPIC TAVERN under their Black Caravan Horror/Sci-Fi Imprint. Hidden within this comic are clues that readers can follow from the comic into the game and back, unlocking new storylines and a special Final Boss battle in their quest for the most powerful artifact in all of Beor.

Angel is a Centaur Foal. Hard-boiled detective Victor Marshall finds himself partnered with idealistic young necromancer Emilia Mortalis and her crew of undead animal pals to investigate the disappearance of a young centaur in this official adaptation of the video game Epic Tavern.

“Scout and their Black Caravan imprint are the perfect partners for introducing our Epic Tavern story world and characters to a whole new audience," French said. "It’s rare for a writer to get to adapt their own work into another medium. Usually, you’re handing it off and making a million compromises in the process. Instead, we get to pick through hundreds of Epic Tavern quests and characters, and combine our very favorites into a new comic adventure.”

NO ONE ELSE

Fantagraphics

By R. Kikuo Johnson

In this graphic novel, Charlene is a divorced mom, has a young son named Brandon, and works full-time as a nurse while also caring for her infirm father. She is barely holding their lives together when tragedy strikes and leaves Charlene and Brandon on their own. Charlene, who has put everyone but herself first for years, sees it as an opportunity for a new start of sorts. That is, at least, until her easy-come, easy-go brother, Robbie — a well-intentioned but unserious semi-professional musician — rolls back into town after a long absence. Brandon, a good kid who aches for his absent father, focuses his grief on his cat, Batman, who hasn't been seen for a few days since he ran into the sugar cane fields that lie on the edge of their housing tract.

No One Else is a graphic novel of great tender truth, as Charlene, Brandon, and Robbie learn to navigate life day to day with their plans, fears, and desires. Gorgeously drawn and set in the author's hometown on the Hawaiian island of Maui, it is the long-awaited follow up to Johnson's acclaimed debut graphic novel, Night Fisher, and a mature work of literary fiction that is certain to be one of the most talked-about books of 2021.

CLICK HERE for preview.

SIX SIDEKICKS OF TRIGGER KEATON #6

Image | $3.99

Story: Kyle Starks | Art/Cover: Chris Schweizer | Covers: Chris Schweizer, Leila del Duca

WILL WE EVER FIND OUT WHODUNNIT IN THE FINALE OF KYLE STARKS & CHRIS SCHWEIZER’S THE SIX SIDEKICKS OF TRIGGER KEATON???

“My only complaint about this series is that it isn't the 99 Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton, because I seriously don't want it to end!” — Big Comic Page

We’re not crying, you’re crying. And it’s definitely not over the death of Trigger Keaton. We’ve made it to the miniseries finale of The Six Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton and your reward for coming along for the ride is a slapstick dumpster fire of epic proportions. Image/Skybound today revealed a first look at the hugely-anticipated issue #6 from Eisner Award nominees Kyle Starks (Sex Castle) and Chris Schweizer (Crogan Adventures), complete with a variant cover from Leila del Duca (The House of Lost Horizons) to send us off in style. 

Have these six dummies figured out who killed their terribly unlikable TV star employer? Will they get their satisfaction? Will they likely have to fight some more? Yes, my friends, they will definitely have to fight some more! That’s what we’re here for! Fights and dumb mysteries! Come and enjoy this satisfying conclusion to these six finding friendship and the killer and maybe a better life too. Or maybe not. Maybe it all goes to crap. We’re not going to just give it away.

STAR WARS INSIDER: FICTION COLLECTION VOL. 2 HC

Titan Comics | 148 pages | $24.99

Stories: Timothy Zahn, John Jackson Miller, Delilah S. Dawson, Jason Fry, Michael Kogge, Alexander Freed, James S. A. Corey, Jennifer Heddle, Jason Hough, Joe Schreiber, Janine K. Spendlove, Edward M. Erdelac, Mur Lafferty, Sylvain Neuvel, Paul S. Kemp, more | Art: Magali Villeneuve, Drew Baker, John Van Fleet, Joe Corroney, Brian Miller, Carsten Bradley, Brian Rood, Marek Okon, Jose Cabrera, Jason Chan, David Rabbitte, Chris Scalf, more

Star Wars Insider, the official magazine of the Star Wars saga, presents a stunning collection of exclusive tales, both Legends and current continuity, from the galaxy far, far away.

A collection of exciting short stories featuring tales that will take you from the Battle of Endor to the desolate world of Jakku. The stories, which cover both Legends and tales that fit in with the current Star Wars continuity, feature popular characters such as Hondo Ohnaka, Lando Calrissian, Asajj Ventress, and Princess Leia.

Stories include:

• Princess Leia Organa embarks on a vital mercy mission;
  • Obi-Wan Kenobi escorts a precious cargo to Tatooine;
  • A journalist uncovers the sinister truth about Orson Krennic; and
  • Lando Calrissian takes a deadly gamble on Lothal.

This special edition of short stories from the Legends era and tales from the current era of storytelling that were first published in Star Wars Insider.

UNIMPRESSED HC

Fantagraphics | $29.99

Story/Art: Miranda Tacchia

As seen on her popular Instagram account (@mrmtacchia), Southern Californian cartoonist and animator Miranda Tacchia's first book collects more than two hundred hilarious one-liners (and even funnier drawings) tackling modern friendship, romance, urban living, and self-image.

Have you ever schemed with a friend? Stared at your phone screen well after you should have gone to sleep? Braced for heartbreak? Been told to smile more? Then Unimpressed will undoubtedly speak to you. In a book that bridges comics and memes, Tacchia uses her biting sense of humor and background in animation to create brilliant character portraits of women with only markers, Post-it notes, and tape. A master of expression, figure, and subtle (and other times not-so-subtle) comedy, Tacchia's protagonists are usually "unimpressed women" - who all share the fact that "they don't give a shit about you," as Tacchia puts it.

What makes Unimpressed so impressive and entertaining is how Tacchia taps into instantly relatable feelings and situations while simultaneously creating art that exudes confidence and vulnerability. (Sample caption: "When you went from giving him an earful to a mouthful.") Her often scabrous depiction of life as a young single woman today echoes that of Phoebe Waller-Bridge's (Fleabag) or Abbi Jacobsen and Ilana Glazer's (Broad City). Funny, smart, observant, sexy, gross, and relatable - Unimpressed is a wonderful debut and a great gift idea.

CLICK here for preview.

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN

THE BOOK OF MAGGOR THOOM GN    

Story/Art/Cover: James Turner

On the dark and shadowy surface of a living black hole resides one Maggor Thoom, demon. After endless eons of success as the star employee of the Insanity Acquisition Department, he has lost his passion and purpose. Yet he knows all to well that those who do not drink the Antediluvian Kool-Aid are soon fed to the ravenous Maw. To save himself from annihilation, Mr. Thoom sets off on a desperate journey of self-discovery: he flees The Void and seeks help on a small, blue orb known as Earth. Unfortunately for Thoom, his arrival is detected by the Archon Hunters, an organization dedicated to protecting the world from eldritch horrors such as himself. Immediately two crack hunters are dispatched from headquarters. Their task: hunt down and terminate with extreme prejudice the potential World Destroyer.

CC sez: What th--?

CIMMERIAN BEYOND THE BLACK RIVER #2

CC sez: Though y'all would enjoy this homage to Thor #337!

DOUBLE YOUR PLEASURE TWIN YURI ANTHOLOGY GN

Ghost Ship | Mature | $14.99

CC sez: Some Yuri books eschew graphic physical depictions of hot girl-on-girl action, relying instead on chaste emotional or spiritual love between women.

I don't think this is one of those books.

ERO NINJA SCROLLS VOL 1 GN

Ghost Ship | Mature | $13.99

CC sez: Ditto this one. It's set in the fictional "Ero" era of Japan, where Ghost Ship says outright there's a lot of sex going on. And it's not Yuri; the boys get to play, too.

EX LIBRIS GN

Uncivilized Books | $29.95

Story: Matt Madden | Art/Cover: Matt Madden

A character is trapped in a room with nothing but a futon and a bookcase full of comics. As they peruse covers, read stories and fragments of stories, they begin to suspect that the comics contain hidden messages and... a threat. Fiction and reality blur; sanity and madness become increasingly intertwined as the reader becomes convinced the key to their predicament is to be found between the panels of the strange books. With a dizzying array of inventive visual and narrative styles, Ex Libris continues the line of exploration and play that Madden initiated with 99 Ways to Tell a Story: Exercises in Style.

CC sez: They had me at "room full of nothing but a futon and bookcase full of comics."

LORE OLYMPUS VOL 1 GN

Del Rey | $19.99

Story/Art: Rachel Smythe

Scandalous gossip, wild parties, and forbidden love - the Greek tale of Hades and Persephone gets a romantic modern update in the gorgeously illustrated, Eisner-nominated Lore Olympus, including a brand new, exclusive short story! An ingenious take on the Greek Pantheon, this is the modern update on the story of Hades and Persephone. Follow the propulsive love story of two Greek gods, told with lavish artwork and contemporary sensibilities.

CC sez: That blurb also describes Punderworld, which came out weeks ago!

MY DATE WITH MONSTERS #1

Aftershock | $4.99

Story: Paul Tobin | Art/Cover: Andy MacDonald

Seven years ago, an attempt to weaponize dreams resulted in holes being punched through the world we know and into the world of dreams. Nightmarish creatures now stalk the land, sprouting from (and killing) anyone unlucky enough to dream. The only way to save the world is for certain people to have their dreams come true.

Which is how Risa Harumi finds herself not only fighting monsters, but forced into finding true love. Monsters and modern dating? It feels like a nightmare either way, and the only help Risa has is a friendly-ish monster named Croak and her pre-teen daughter, Machi.

From Paul Tobin (BUNNY MASK) and Andy MacDonald (I BREATHED A BODY, Multiple Man), comes a unique story of one woman's quest to save the world, if only she could learn the difference between love and monsters.

CC sez: I like the art. But I bet that date isn't going to have a happy ending.

PROVENANCE OF SECRETS #1

Scout | $3.99

Provenance of Secrets brings early '50s crime noir into the realms of cosmic horror. Set in L.A., a brutal murder throws up some increasingly strange leads, and pushes a detective down a path to something that is far from his usual work. Taking the world that Robert Chambers' "The King In Yellow" existed within, will only make this noir even darker and haunting. Provenance of Secrets is a recipe for a horror noir, one that you'll keep reading knowing it will only get more terrifying.

CC sez: Gosh, I actually like the sound of that. Scout is pull-only at my LCS, so I'll never see an actual copy. But still.

THE RECOUNT TPB

Scout Comics | $19.99

Story: Jonathan Hedrick | Art: Joe Bocardo | Art/Cover: Gabriel Ibarra Nunez

During his resignation speech, a corrupt U.S. president is assassinated by an agent in his Secret Service detail. The transition of power was immediately succeeded to his VP, Meredith McDearmon. Soon after, the ruthless cult-like conspirators, known only as "The Masses," announce to the American public their vow to take out anyone who sided with the dead president. The only person who can be trusted, Special Agent Barto, must get the newly sworn in Commander-in-Chief to the safety of the White House before the nation collapses under the violent weight of The Masses.

CC sez: I used to think this sort of story was preposterous. Now it's practically predictive.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• RED ROOM: I bought (and read) the first issue. That was enough for me. I you want Ed Piskor, I recommend X-Men: Grand Design

VENOM: "So there are two Venoms now?" - I dunno... you tell me. Everything I know about Venom I learned from you. 

• This is the last issue of Christopher Priest's run. That's 25 issues in all, which would make for a nice omnibus, wouldn't you say? - This is just the last issue of this series. Christopher Priest's run continues in Vampirella/Dracula: Unholy. The only reason I know that was from filling out my Previews last weekend.

• ROBIN & BATMAN and THE THING: These are two I was definitely considering, but although this was an extremely light week, I gave them both a pass. (Neither one "looked" like "comics" to me.)

• Understood.

This reply was deleted.