Comics Guide for Oct. 28, 2015

DARK HORSE

BURROUGHS’ TARZAN: THE SUNDAY COMICS, 1935–1937 (HC)

Writer: GEORGE A. CARLIN

Art: HAL FOSTER

FC, 108 pages, $125.00, HC, 15” x 20”

Celebrate Hal Foster with this deluxe collection of his Tarzan Sunday strips! This final volume compiles dozens of strips on archive-quality paper—expertly restored in gorgeous color at giant size, replicating their original appearance! This astonishing volume is presented in a format that collectors will adore! Collecting every Hal Foster Tarzan Sunday strip from September 1935 through May 1937.

From all-time great Hal Foster, creator of Prince Valiant!

I love these books, but geez, they're breaking the bank!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

THE COMPLETE LOVE HURTS (TPB)

Writer/Art/Cover: KIM W. ANDERSSON

FC, 240 pages, $19.99, TPB, 7” x 10”

Comics master Kim W. Andersson has received Sweden’s most prestigious comics award, and in October, his horror-romance comics will be collected by Dark Horse for the first time in Andersson’s US graphic novel debut, The Complete Love Hurts.

Tennyson wrote, “’Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” Well, Tennyson never met these lovers!

In this massive tome of romance comics with brutal, terrible twists, Swedish comics creator Kim W. Andersson, whose graphic novel Alena is currently being adapted into a movie, delivers a shocking series of short stories about love gone horribly wrong! Featuring lovelorn supervillains, psychopathic online daters, murderous reality TV show stars and heartbroken cowboys, samurais and astronauts, Love Hurts shows that no matter who you are or what you do, love can be one deadly bitch!

With a foreword by Peter Snejbjerg (B.P.R.D., Starman, Preacher), The Complete Love Hurts hits stores October 28 at a bargain price of $19.99, and will collect over 200 pages of Andersson’s horror-romance comics with material from Dark Horse Presents, Swedish alternative comics anthology From the Shadow of the Northern Lights and many more.

The cover did its job, luring me in -- I found it attractive, plus it made me curious. The interior is a series of vignettes about love gone wrong, usually in an EC way. Sometimes I saw the twist coming, but more often I didn't, and overall I found it a good read.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

THE EC ARCHIVES: THE HAUNT OF FEAR VOL 2 (HC)

Writers: BILL GAINES, AL FELDSTEIN, JERRY DE FUCCIO, JOHNNY CRAIG

Art: JOHNNY CRAIG, GRAHAM INGELS, JACK DAVIS, JACK KAMEN, GEORGE ROUSSOS, ED SMALLE, JOE ORLANDO

Colors: MARIE SEVERIN, CARLOS BADILLA

FC, 216 pages, $49.99, HC, 8 3/16” x 11”

Fright fans, beware! This hotly anticipated second volume -- collecting EC Comics classic The Haunt of Fear #7–12 -- is sure to chill you to the core! Featuring art from the celebrated talents of Johnny Craig, Graham Ingels, Jack Davis, Jack Kamen, George Roussos, Ed Smalle and Joe Orlando!

• Dark Horse reprints the infamous comic series!

• Includes all the original ads, text pieces, and letters!

I don't understand the order in which these books come out. There have been four volumes of Crypt of Terror, and that title may be complete, or close to it. Vault of Horror is well on its way, with three volumes. But Haunt of Fear has more or less just begun, with two volumes in the last year or so.

Similarly, Weird Science has four volumes out, while Weird Fantasy only has one. Two-Fisted Tales has four volumes out; Frontline Combat just one. Shock SuspenStories has three volumes out; Crime SuspenStories just one.

I realize that once all the books are reprinted this will be a moot point. I'm just curious.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

GREEN RIVER KILLER: A TRUE DETECTIVE STORY (TPB)

Writer: JEFF JENSEN

Art/Cover: JONATHAN CASE

B&W, 240 pages, $19.99, TPB, 6” x 9”

Throughout the 1980s, the highest priority of Seattle-area police was the apprehension of the Green River Killer, the man responsible for the murders of dozens of women. In 1990, with the body count numbering at least forty-eight, the case was put in the hands of a single detective, Tom Jensen. After 20 years, when the killer was finally captured with the help of DNA technology, Jensen spent 180 days interviewing Gary Leon Ridgway in an effort to learn his most closely held secrets -- an epic confrontation with evil that proved as disturbing and surreal as can be imagined.

Written by Jensen’s own son, acclaimed entertainment writer Jeff Jensen, Green River Killer: A True Detective Story presents the ultimate insider’s account of America’s most prolific serial killer.

Sure to appeal to fans of True Detective, Green River Killer features a story by Tomorrowland writer Jeff Jensen and gorgeous art by Jonathan Case and is priced at an affordable $19.99. 

• From the screenwriter of Tomorrowland!

• The Eisner Award–winning true-crime graphic novel now in paperback!

Praise for Green River Killer:

“An astounding graphic novel -- this is not just a riveting, relentless crime story, but a crackling morality tale pitting the dark glamour of evil against the day-to-day hard work demanded in the upkeep of decency. It’s a chilling, unnerving story, with sharp bursts of humor and a strong, true, humane heart. Absolutely fantastic.” -- Gillian Flynn, New York Times best-selling author of Dark Places and Sharp Objects

“Disturbingly true and refreshingly original. ... My gut was wrenched and I loved every second of it.” -- Damon Lindelof (Lost)

“Jeff Jensen’s journalistic eye for detail and Jonathan Case’s exquisitely paced visual storytelling combine to make a true-crime epic.” -- Brian K. Vaughan (Saga)

“Terrific. It’s got the scariest opening sequence I’ve read in years, and the novel as a whole makes compelling stay-up-late reading. Great, creepy stuff.” -- Stephen King

I was just going to sample this book one night when I was pretty tired, but found myself reading halfway through when I finally had to stop from fatigue -- at 5 a.m.! That's a pretty good indication of how much I liked it. The art is clear and un-fussy, and the story riveting.

HELLBOY AND THE B.P.R.D.: 1953 -- THE PHANTOM HAND & THE KELPIE

Writer/Cover: MIKE MIGNOLA

Art: BEN STENBECK

Colors: DAVE STEWART

FC, 32 pages, $3.50, One-shot

Hellboy: Year Two!

Hellboy’s first experiences with Bruttenholm in England involve the phantom hand of a murderer and a demonic water spirit in stories reminiscent of the early Mignola masterpiece “The Corpse.” 

Hellboy’s first ghost hunt!

“A magnificent introduction to the universe Hellboy occupies.” -- Comic Book Resources

“This is a supremely enjoyable comic, and deserves a wide audience.” -- Multiversity Comics

“All the makings of another classic Hellboy story.” -- IGN

TLDR: Great book, go get it.

If I'm reading the press materials correctly, there will be two issues of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. 1953 a month, showing Hellboy's early days apprenticing as an occult investigator with Prof. Bruttenholm. If so, that's a treat for comics fans, if this issue is any indication.

The first story of the two in this issue is Hellboy at his best. While Bruttenholm and a colleague tend to sit around and drink brandy while discussing occult theories, Hellboy is more direct, attacking the ghost they are seeking physically. Or, as Bruttenholm explains it, "He's an idiot." But he's a terrifically entertaining idiot, especially his efforts at tough-guy dialogue, which are unique in this genre.

Hellboy's antics, the interplay between characters and the dialogue are so rich in the Hellboy world that sometimes it's easy to forget that they're there to support the story, instead of the other way around. But there is a story here, and a good one, which I won't spoil. Mignola knows his ghost stories and delivers a creepy corker.

Moreover, we learn more about Bruttenholm here than I can recall knowing from previous stories. He's always been something of an enigma to me, since he died early in the canon. What did he know or suspect of Hellboy's nature? Did he love the boy, or was he just using him? There's a discussion here that sheds light on those questions, and fleshes out Bruttenholm a bit more. He remains a sympathetic figure, but one that's more nuanced than before.

The second story is, essentially, a campfire tale about an event from 1935, so Hellboy is just part of the audience. It's a pretty good story, and as usual with Mignola, I learn something about myth, legend or folklore. (In this case, what a kelpie is.) It's not meant to be more than a back-up, but holds up fine as a plain, old ghost story.

I would be remiss in not mentioning the art. As much as I love Mignola's work -- and, boy, I do -- Stenbeck (Frankenstein Underground) wisely makes no attempt to ape him and goes his own way. He keeps just enough of Mignola's effects -- what eyes look like when they're possessed, certain shadows -- to indicate that we're still in the same world, but otherwise his work is very clean and direct, as opposed to Mignola's shadowy (and usually footless) figures and oblique views. Stenbeck's greatest strength is his storytelling; his layouts are very strong and his linework crisp, with rendering kept to a minimum. His work is much lighter than Mignola's as a result, and more cinematic -- it's another way to look at Hellboy's world, and a very attractive one at that.

DC COMICS

HALLOWEEN VARIANTS

This week's horror-themed variant covers include (from left) Aquaman #45, Cyborg #4, Deathstroke #11, Flash #45, Grayson #13, New Suicide Squad #13, Robin: Son of Batman #5, Sinestro #16 and Superman #45.

ART OPS #1

Written by SHAUN SIMON

Art and cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

In this new series by Shaun Simon, co-writer (with Gerard Way) of The True Lives of the Fabulous Killjoys, and legendary artist Michael Allred (iZOMBIE), art not only imitates life, it becomes it! When rogue figures from famous works of art come to life and escape their frames, it’s up to Reggie Riot and the agents of Art Operatives to track them down before they wreak havoc on the unsuspecting public. But Reggie has secrets of his own that may affect his ability to interact with these living works of art -- and he wants no part in the agency his mother ran before him. Pop culture will never be the same.

Here's another new Vertigo book. If Image and Vergito keep competing with titles like this, the readers are the winners.

BATGIRL #45

Written by BRENDEN FLETCHER and CAMERON STEWART

Art and cover by BABS TARR

On sale OCTOBER 28 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

As Barbara’s friends gather for a major celebration, a familiar face from her past returns … and he’s got a lot to say about their future together!

Wait -- is she doing the Batusi?

BATMAN ADVENTURES VOL 3 (TPB)

Written by KELLEY PUCKETT and PAUL DINI

Art by MIKE PAROBECK, RICK BURCHETT, BRUCE TIMM and others

Cover by BRUCE TIMM

208 pg, FC, $16.99 US

Inspired by Batman’s animated TV adventures, these tales from BATMAN ADVENTURES #21-27 feature Man-Bat, Two-Face, Poison Ivy, Superman and many others! Plus, BATMAN ADVENTURES ANNUAL #1 spotlights some of Batman’s greatest foes, including The Joker and Harley Quinn!

I still miss Mike Parobeck.

CONVERGENCE TPBs

This week's Convergence books -- the last of them -- collects the books featuring the post-Infinite Crisis characters. Not my favorites of the series, but we do get a last, rousing adventure with the JSA.

CONVERGENCE: INFINITE EARTHS BOOK ONE TPB

Written by DAN ABNETT, JERRY ORDWAY, LEN WEIN, PAUL LEVITZ and JUSTIN GRAY

Art by TOM DERENICK, TREVOR SCOTT, BEN CALDWELL, DENYS COWAN, BILL SIENKIEWICZ, JIM FERN, SHANNON WHEELER, CLAUDE ST-AUBIN and others

240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection stars the Justice Society of America, Infinity Inc., Batman and many more, as they fight in a gladiator-style competition to see which worlds will live...and which will perish! Collects CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #1-2, CONVERGENCE: INFINITY INC. #1-2, CONVERGENCE: DETECTIVE COMICS #1-2, CONVERGENCE: WORLD’S FINEST COMICS #1-2 and CONVERGENCE: ACTION COMICS #1-2.

CONVERGENCE: INFINITE EARTHS BOOK TWO TPB

Written by JEFF PARKER, BRIAN BUCCELLATO, SCOTT LOBDELL, DAN JURGENS and SIMON OLIVER

Art by PHIL WINSLADE, EVAN “DOC” SHANER, YISHAN, JOHN McCREA and others

240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection includes the miniseries SHAZAM! #1-2, BLUE BEETLE #1-2, CRIME SYNDICATE #1-2, CONVERGENCE: BOOSTER GOLD #1-2 and PLASTIC MAN AND THE FREEDOM FIGHTERS #1-2

DEATHSTROKE BOOK AND MASK SET

Written by TONY S. DANIEL

Art by TONY S. DANIEL and SANDU FLOREA

Cover by TONY S. DANIEL

144 pg, FC, approx. 8.5” wide x 11.75” tall x 5.25” deep, $29.99 US

The latest book and mask set stars classic DC villain Deathstroke, and features a PVC mask plus DEATHSTROKE VOL. 1: GODS OF WAR TPB, collecting issues #1-6 of the new, hit series!

Hey, it's Halloween. Why not?

JUSTICE LEAGUE: DARKSEID WAR – BATMAN #1

Written by PETER J. TOMASI

Art by FERNANDO PASARIN

Cover by FRANCIS MANAPUL

ONE-SHOT • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

As the Darkseid War rages on, Batman’s role in Gotham City -- and the world -- alters drastically as he’s forced to accept his new role as a God of Knowledge.

The "Darkseid War" one-shots were originally solicited with the subtitle "Gods and Men." Anybody know why it was changed?

IDW PUBLISHING

ARTIST'S EDITION VARIANTS

The only one this week is Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles #51.

EMPIRE VOL 2: UPRISING

Writer MARK WAID

Art/Cover: BARRY KITSON

TPB • FC • $17.99 • 104 pages

A decade after the groundbreaking first volume of Empire, Mark Waid and Barry Kitson's beloved Eisner-nominated series returns with the all-new Empire: Uprising! It's been a year since the events of the original series, and much has changed for Golgoth, the first supervillain to finally have conquered the world. But can he hold onto his rein–and does he even want to? Collects issues #1–4.

"Fans of the original Empire will find a lot to love about this newest extension of Golgoth's story … However, (it) also serves as a brisk and bloody introduction to the world of Empire that will surely send new readers seeking out what came before." -- Newsarama

Despite Kitson's beautiful, sunny art, or maybe because of it, Golgoth's world is both appalling and seductive. Similarly, Waid has fleshed out people who are gawdawful, and yet I find myself interested -- concerned? -- to learn their fates. I feel dirty after reading Empire, yet want to continue reading it.

Nice work, fellas!

GHOSTS AND GIRLS OF FICTION HOUSE (HC)

Writers/Art: MATT BAKER & Various; Cover: MAURICE WHITMAN

HC • FC • 152 pages • 8.5″ x 11″ • $24.99

The publisher Fiction House was infamous for what anti-comics crusader Dr. Fredric Wertham called “headlight comics,” i.e. comics featuring the ample female bosom. The Pre-Code publisher used their buxom heroines to star in jungle comics, science fiction tales, and scary GHOST STORIES!

The Chilling Archives of Horror Comics series curates the sexiest and scariest of these poltergeist-infused Good Girl Art comics in a pulse-pounding tome! Your hair will stand on end and at the same time your toes will curl!

BWAHHAHAHAHA (snort) HAHAHAHAHAHA! Can't wait to read this! The pre-Code books were like America's Id running rampant, weren't they?

DISNEY BOOKS

This week's Disney books. As I say every week, they're worth reading even for -- maybe especially for -- adults. As Mr. Spock would say, "The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."

WALT DISNEY'S COMICS & STORIES #724

Writer: BRUNO SARDA

Art: DAAN JIPPES, MASSIMO DE VITA

Cover: HENRIEKE GOORHUIS

Subscription Variant" WALT KELLY

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

Man-eating tigers menace Mickey under the big top in "Search for the Zodiac Stone," Part 4 of 12. Then we're celebrating Comics and Stories' 75th anniversary with a new Daan Jippes Donald Duck adventure!

• It's Walt Disney's Comics and Stories' 75th anniversary this month—and we're celebrating with the return of master Donald Duck man Daan Jippes!

• Disney's most long-lived, celebrated monthly title is back! Discover Walt Disney's Comics and Stories again for the first time!

• 40 action-packed pages for only $3.99!

• Variant "Disney Legacy" Halloween-inspired Haunted Mansion cover by Derek Charm!

WALT DISNEY COMICS & STORIES 75TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL

Writers: WILLIAM VAN HORN, CARL FALLBERG

Art: WILLIAM VAN HORN, WALT KELLY, AL TALIAFERRO, PAUL MURRY, AL HUBBARD

Cover: DAAN JIPPES & HEINRIKE GOORHUIS

Subscription Variant: WALT KELLY

FC • 64 pages • $5.99

"Howlin' crashwagons!" It's here! This king-size celebration of Disney's flagship title brings together Donald, Mickey, Uncle Scrooge, Goofy, Magica, Chip ‘n' Dale, Big Bad Wolf, Ludwig Von Drake, and a prized pantheon of favorite artists and writers -- tracing decades of thrills, memories and mayhem!

• This awesome, extra-length Comics and Stories special has something for everyone—collectors, new readers and fans of all ages!

• Story selection represents generations of prized issues... from Donald in 1943 to Scrooge in 1993 and everything in between!

• Includes Paul Murry's classic Mickey Mouse serial "Ridin' the Rails," reprinted in full for the first time!

IMAGE COMICS

BLACK MAGICK #1

Writer: GREG RUCKA

Art/Cover A: NICOLA SCOTT

Cover B: JILL THOMPSON

40 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

Magazine-Size Variant: 64 PAGES / FC / M / $5.99

Bestselling writer Greg Rucka and artist Nicola Scott team up to conjure an all-new ongoing series in BLACK MAGICK, set to launch just in time for Halloween.

“I’m calling it witch-noir, because it’s not quite crime and it’s not wholly about the supernatural, but the two are somehow dancing together,” said Rucka. “And with Nicola’s art, it’s turned into a beautiful dance, indeed. I’ve been waiting six years to share Rowan’s story with the world, waiting even longer to get to work with Nicola on something creator-owned. This is that chance, and we’re both seizing it!”

BLACK MAGICK follows Rowan Black, robbery/homicide detective in the city of Portsmouth, and the latest in a line of traditional witches who can trace their lineage—and memories—back to before the library of Alexandria burned. Rowan has carefully built a wall between her professional life and her faith, but now that barrier is cracking.

If magick is the power to impose one’s own will on reality, where does that leave the rest of us?

I don't have any inside info on this title, but Rucka can usually be counted on for a well-constructed story, and Scott's art (as much as we can see here) is attractive. Could be good.

MARVEL COMICS

ANGELA: QUEEN OF HEL #1

Written by MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art by KIM JACINTO & STEPHANIE HANS

Cover by JULIAN TOTINO TEDESCO

Variant Cover by STEPHANIE HANS

Hip-Hop Variant by ANNIE WU

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

There’s a new queen in town. And she’s taking over the underworld in ANGELA: QUEEN OF HEL #1 – the brand new ongoing series from Marguerite Bennett, Kim Jacinto and Stephanie Hans! Stolen from Asgard, exiled from Heven and robbed of Sera, her greatest companion – Angela is out for revenge. Plunging deep into the blackest depths of Hel to recover her friend, she’ll come face-to-face with the worst the underworld has to offer. Once there, the lost princess of Asgard will carve out a realm of her very own – as its new Queen! But in her attempt to save her friend, has she lost herself? All hail the new ruler of the underworld when ANGELA: QUEEN OF HEL #1 comes to comic shops and digital devices this October!

I'm pretty sure I dated the Queen of Hell once, and she didn't look anything like that. Eh, what? "Hel"? Oh, never mind.

GUIDEBOOK TO THE MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE -- MARVEL’S IRON MAN

Writers: MIKE O’SULLIVAN & THE OHOTMU TEAM

Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

At last, the Marvel Cinematic Universe receives its own guidebook! Starting with the 2008 blockbuster Marvel’s Iron Man, this series will profile fan-favorite Marvel Studios films and Marvel Television series!

But this isn’t your daddy’s Official Handbook — the MCU Guidebooks are completely overhauled, slicker, sleeker and packed with vital information about the people, places and objects that make the Marvel Cinematic Universe so compelling! Chock full of “fast facts,” movie-to-comic comparisons, behind-the-scenes artwork and production stills, this inaugural issue features Tony “Iron Man” Stark himself; allies like Pepper Potts, Happy Hogan, Ho Yinsen and Agent Phil Coulson; enemies like Obadiah Stane and the Ten Rings; Tony’s armors and equipment including JARVIS, the Arc Reactor, Stark Mansion … and don’t forget “Dum-E!” And much more! Relive the big-screen thrills of Marvel’s Iron Man, and begin building your indispensable library of Cinematic Universe reference books!

Do we need this? Probably not. Do we want this? Oh, yeah!

HOWLING COMMANDOS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #1

Written by FRANK BARBIERIE

Art & Cover by BRENT SCHOONOVER

Variant Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY & SKOTTIE YOUNG

Kirby Monster Variant by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Design Variant by BRENT SCHOONOVER

Hip-Hop Variant by WILFRED SANTIAGO

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

This October, to fight the monsters of this world, we need the monsters of the night! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at HOWLING COMMANDOS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 – the brand new series from writer Frank Barbierie and Brent Schoonover!

Hidden deep beneath Area 13 lies the clandestine headquarters of S.T.A.K.E. – a top-secret division of S.H.I.E.L.D. housing aliens, mythical beasts and all manner of extra-normal entities. Under the command of the legendary soldier Dum Dum Dugan, these monsters will step out of the shadows to defend the world against all things that go bump in the night. Supernatural threats may be too much to handle for ordinary men and women, but this top-secret squad is anything but ordinary. Strap in, hold on, and get ready to meet the all-new, all-different Howling Commandos. Don’t miss HOWLING COMMANDOS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. #1 – on sale this October!

Conceptually, I don't have much interest in this, the Marvel version of Creature Commandos. But I've always loved Dum Dum Dugan, and I think I may like him even more as a self-aware "Ghost Robot Frankenstein." Plus, it looks like they're going to mine Marvel's 1950s "kaiju" phase, which could be a lot of fun. Or really stupid. Let's hope for fun.

NEW AVENGERS #2

Written by AL EWING

Art & Cover by GERARDO SANDOVAL

Variant Cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ

Kirby Monster Variant by SIMON BISLEY

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

Find out this October as Ultimate Reed Richards makes landfall in the Marvel Universe in NEW AVENGERS #2 – the explosive next installment from writer Al Ewing and artist Gerardo Sandoval! He hails from a different universe. Hostile in his intentions, his presence spells trouble for any in his path. Just ask Bobby da Costa and his global super-science team – the New Avengers! Now, Sunspot, Songbird, Wiccan, Hulkling, Hawkeye, Pod, White Tiger, Power Man and Squirrel Girl must face their first true test as a team. Do they have what it takes to stand toe-to-toe with Ultimate Reed Richards himself? Find out this October as the adventure continues in NEW AVENGERS #2!

Outside of possibly Songbird and one or two others, this lineup doesn't really appeal to me. In fact, it feels like it's aimed for a younger generation, which it probably is. C'est la vie.

I do wonder about "Maker," the big bad who was once the Reed Richards of the Ultimate Universe. He appears to go to the same haberdasher as Brainstorm of the Silver Age Justice League of America.

SECRET WARS: OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1

Written by THE OHOTMU TEAM, LED BY MIKE O’SULLIVAN & JEFF CHRISTIANSEN

Cover by MIKE McKONE

64 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

Worlds are colliding! Both on Battleworld, and in the SECRET WARS OFFICIAL GUIDE TO THE MARVEL MULTIVERSE #1 – a collection of all-new Profiles! Journey through Marvel’s multiverse: Old Man Logan! The Ultimate Universe’s Spider-Man (Miles Morales)! The Age of Ultron! Weirdworld! The Spider-Verse event! The Age of Apocalypse’s Nightcrawler! Plus: profiles of the characters and events at the core of the Secret Wars: the Incursions of Earths, Namor’s Cabal, the Future Foundation kids and more! Also featuring key participants in previous Secret Wars: Volcana (Marsha Rosenberg), Thunderball (Eliot Franklin), the healer Zsaji, the Dark Elf Kurse, original Battleworld refugee Puff the dragon, and the Secret Wars II event itself! And because we love you: the Pet Avengers’ Throg, Lady Deadpool, Teen Hulk …and Obnoxio the Clown?!

Grant Morrison did this better at DC, but those who plan to read a lot of post-Secret Wars Marvel books might need it!

SPIDER-MAN 2099 #2

Written by PETER DAVID

Art by WILL SLINEY

Cover by FRANCESCO MATTINA

Variant Cover by DECLAN SHALVEY

Kirby Monster Variant by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

32 PGS. / Rated T / $3.99

Strap in and hold on webheads, because Miguel O’Hara is just getting started! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at SPIDER-MAN 2099 #2 – the next can’t miss issue from writer Peter David and artist Will Sliney! After the EXPLOSIVE end of Issue #001, Miguel O’Hara’s fantastic new life hangs in shambles, and Miguel has no choice but to being a hunt for answers. Who is this mysterious Doctor Chronos, and who does he work for? Watch as the search for justice pushes Miguel O’Hara down a darker path than he’s ever tread before -- this October in SPIDER-MAN 2099 #2!

Marvel sent me three covers, and why should I be the only one to look at them?

THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #1

Writer: RYAN NORTH

Art/Cover: ERICA HENDERSON

Hip-Hop Variant by PHIL NOTO

Variant by BEN CALDWELL

Kirby Monster Variant by CHRIS BACHALO

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

NEW SERIES. NEW AVENGER(!). STILL EATS NUTS AND KICKS BUTTS!

Not even Secret Wars can stop Marvel’s most unbeatable heroine! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at THE UNBEATABLE SQUIRREL GIRL #1 – the new series from the New York Times bestselling creative team of Ryan North and Erica Henderson!

Galactus. Thanos. M.O.D.O.K. With her unique combination of wit, empathy, and kick-butt squirrel powers, Doreen Green has taken ALL these chumps down. Now it’s time for her next challenge – balancing college life and being a full-time New Avenger! Alongside her friends Tippy Toe (a squirrel) and Nancy (a human), Squirrel Girl is all that stands between Earth and total annihilation! Sometimes. Other times there’s nothing world ending going on and she’s a normal college student. But that’s an adventure too!

Sometimes I find Squirrel Girl fresh and amusing, and sometimes embarrassing. Depends on how she's written, I suppose.

OTHER PUBLISHERS

THE BLACK HOOD #6

Publisher: ARCHIE COMICS

Script: Duane Swierczynski

Art: Howard Chaykin, Jesus Aburto, Rachel Deering

CVR A Reg: Francesco Francavilla

CVR B Variant: Howard Chaykin

CVR C Variant: David Mack

CVR D Variant: Greg Smallwood

On Sale Date: 10/28

32-page, full color comic

$3.99 U.S.

THE ACCLAIMED DARK CIRCLE SERIES RETURNS! “Flor de Muerto” After the soul-crushing events of “Bullet’s Kiss,” disfigured cop Greg Hettinger leaves Philly and checks into a Southern California rehab clinic. But a plane ride can’t separate Greg from his troubles. A fellow patient believes her former drug dealer (and lover) has sent someone to kill her, and it’s up to Greg to figure out which member of their circle is preparing to pull the trigger...

New to the dark, twisted world of The Black Hood? Then check yourself in for this thrilling one-shot from novelist Duane Swierczynski and superstar artist Howard Chaykin.

This series has surprised me often, and I will be surprised again as it continues, since I have no idea how the lead character can continue as he has.

BOOK OF DEATH #4 (of 4)

Publisher: VALIANT COMICS

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by ROBERT GILL and DOUG BRAITHWAITE

Cover A by CARY NORD

Cover B by MICO SUAYAN

Cover C by MARGUERITE SAUVAGE

Valiant Icons Variant by PERE PEREZ

Variant Cover by PAOLO RIVERA

$3.99 US | 40 pgs. | T+

An evil Geomancer has torn the world asunder. … The dark puppet master pulling the strings has been unmasked. ... And the Valiant Universe as we know it is being torn apart. … The end is here!

Now, not even the combined might of the Valiant’s best and brightest can avert the coming apocalypse -– not without a sacrifice, that is. Who will pay the ultimate price to avoid the Armageddon promised in the pages of the Book of the Geomancer? And how will it irrevocably change the course of Valiant Universe?

All the answers are here in the climactic final chapter by longtime Valiant scribe Robert Venditti (X-O MANOWAR) and all-star artists Robert Gill (ETERNAL WARRIOR) and Doug Braithwaite (UNITY)! So let it be written … so let it be done!

The finale! It's be a good ride, albeit somewhat depressing. I have new respect for Gilad Ann-Padda, though.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER #4 (of 4)*

Written by FRED VAN LENTE

Art & Cover by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

Anni’s final trial lays everything on the line…and the violent transformation it creates will determine the shape of the Valiant Universe forever!

Anni, the first Geomancer, has lived countless centuries and shepherded the Earth and her people through upheaval and disaster. Now, generations upon generations later, she finally begins the twilight of her life. The secrets of the Geomancer will not die with Anni, and the Earth must not be left without her warrior...

INCENTIVE | 24 pgs. | T+ | On sale OCTOBER 28

ATTENTION FANS – BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER:

• SPECIAL ALL-NEW LIMITED SERIES!

• QUANTITIES WILL BE LIMITED!

• NOT FOR SALE DIGITALLY!

• WON’T BE COLLECTED FOR THE TRADE!

• ASK YOUR LOCAL RETAILER HOW TO ORDER!

*ATTENTION RETAILERS – BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER:

PLEASE SEE THE DIAMOND DAILY OR VALIANT RETAILER EMAIL TO FIND OUT HOW TO QUALIFY FOR THIS LIMITED RATIO INCENTIVE. QUANTITIES WILL BE BASED ON ORDERS OF BOOK OF DEATH #4 (of 4).

Recognize those three little boys? What do you know -- this was an origin story all along!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS (HC)

Publisher: IDW/Top Shelf

Writer: HUNTER S. THOMPSON

Adaptation/Art/Cover: TROY LITTLE

HC • FC • $24.99 • 176 pages • 6” x 9” • mature readers (16+)

“What were we doing out here ...? What was the meaning of this trip? Did I actually have a big red convertible out there on the street? Was I just roaming around these Mint Hotel escalators in a drug frenzy of some kind, or had I really come out here to Las Vegas to work on a story?” — Hunter S. Thompson, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

Legendary journalist Hunter S. Thompson’s genius was rooted in his ability to blend reality with fiction, serious cultural analysis with madcap escapades, astonishing words with unforgettable images.

In that spirit, and in proud partnership with the Thompson estate, Top Shelf Productions is pleased to announce Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, a delightfully bonkers graphic novel by Eisner-nominated artist Troy Little adapting Thompson’s book of the same name.

"I'm so pleased that one of the first collaborative projects to come out of the Top Shelf/IDW relationship will be Troy Little's inspired take on a true classic of American literature," said Top Shelf Editor-In-Chief  Chris Staros. "One of the most unforgettable writers turned loose in one of my favorite cities! We can't wait to show you what Troy's done with it."

The much-beloved Fear and Loathing, subtitled “A Savage Journey to the Heart of the American Dream,” follows Thompson analogue Raoul Duke on the mother of all Vegas benders, as he and his attorney Dr. Gonzo cover a motorcycle race, crash a drug-enforcement convention, and rack up obscenely large room-service bills, all while dosed to the gills on a truly spectacular assortment of mind-altering substances.

Troy Little’s faithful adaptation captures the full gonzo experience in a glorious full color graphic novel. Little is previously known for the Xeric-award-winning graphic novel Chiaroscuro and for his Eisner-nominated series Angora Napkin, both from IDW Publishing. Now, his irrepressibly energetic cartooning brings a new level of manic energy to Thompson’s rocket-fueled narrative.

“Buy the ticket, take the ride.” Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas comes to a store near you this fall!

• "Troy Little masterfully captures the madness and essential humor that makes this book an enduring classic." –- Darick Robertson (Transmetropolitan)

• "I am super into everything about this." -- Kelly Sue DeConnick (Bitch Planet, Captain Marvel, Pretty Deadly)

• "Pre-ether binge reading material. Glorious madness, as mercilessly demented as its original counterpart. The Good Doctor would look on this and raise his highball glass in hearty approval." -- John Layman (Chew)

• "An outstanding interpretation of Thompson’s gonzo masterpiece." — Gonzo Today

I remember loving this book when I was a cynical, know-it-all teenager. I'm not sure how much it would appeal to me today, but it looks like I'm about to find out!

GOD IS DEAD #44

Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: MIKE COSTA

Art: JUAN FRIGERI

Cover: JOSÉ LUIS

Mature/$3.99

The genie is out of the bottle and the gods are amok once more.  But now with no memory of antiquity they are ravenous with the power to kill and demand fealty.  Gluttonous deities descend upon an unknowing mortal plane and the resulting destruction pushes the planet once more toward oblivion.  Mike Costa delivers a new and terrifying chapter in the war of the divine! Available with Regular Cover by Jacen Burrows, Enchanting & End of Days Covers by Jose Luis, Iconic Cover by Juan Frigeri, a Carnage Wraparound Cover by German Nobile, and a special Gilded Incentive Cover also by Luis.

If all the returning divinities looked like this one, several of my friends would immediately change religions. Who is this supposed to be, Artemis?

HENCHGIRL #1

Publisher: SCOUT COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: KRISTEN GUDSNUK

Check out the comic that IO9 calls "A terribly fun read"! Mary Posa hates her job. She works long hours for little pay, no insurance, and, worst of all, no respect. Her coworkers are jerks and her boss doesn't appreciate her. He's also happens to be a supervillain. Cursed with a conscience, Mary would give anything to be something other than a Henchgirl!

I posted Henchman when it came out, so it's only fair to post Henchgirl.

JOHN CARTER: WARLORD OF MARS #12

Publisher: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

Writers: RON MARZ, IAN EDGINGTON

Art: ARIEL MEDEL

Cover A Main: BART SEARS

Cover B Variant: ABHISHEK MALSUNI

Cover C Variant: EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

$3.99 / Mature / 32 pages

The fate of Mars hangs in the balance as John Carter and Dejah Thoris race to revive the planet's dying atmosphere. Standing in their way are killer robots, savage Tharks and villains of all stripes. Will John and Dejah sacrifice themselves if it means saving their world? The first year of the series official approved by Edgar Rice Burroughs estate roars to a conclusion!

As I've mentioned before, I was surprised when I was sampled this book that it was so much better than I had imagined. Now I'm reading it regularly, and will read the book below to catch up.

JOHN CARTER WARLORD VOL 1: INVADERS OF MARS (TPB)

Writer: RON MARZ

Art: ABHISHEK MALSUNI

Cover: J. SCOTT CAMPBELL

160 pages / Mature / $19.99

John Carter, the Confederate soldier transported to distant Mars, must save his adopted world from an adversary who is every bit his equal on the Red Planet: Captain Joshua Clark, formerly of the Army of the Potomac and now the strategist for a species of star-hopping conquerors. While Carter and his staunch ally, the Thark chieftain Tars Tarkas, lead a legion of united Green Men and Red Men against the alien assailants, Dejah Thoris - the princess of Barsoom - is held captive by the bloodthirsty Clark in the fallen city of Helium. The "Invaders of Mars" storyline is cosmic-scale action and adventure, courtesy of Ron Marz, the groundbreaking writer of Green Lantern!

"Fans ... of the broader works of Burroughs will be pleased." -- Geek Sushi

"It offers both long-term and new fans... a great place for jumping into the action. An excellent tribute to the fantasy and science fiction masterpieces that were the originals." -- Graphic Policy

"Ron Marz is a great storyteller, Malsuni's art is a perfect complement to that storytelling ... A must-read." -- Comic Bastards

MESSENGER: LEGEND JOAN OF ARC (GN)

Publisher: CANDLEWICK PRESS

Writer: TONY LEE

Art/Cover: SAM HART

$12.99

It is 1424. France and England have been fighting for more than a hundred years, and Jehanne D'Arc experiences her first saintly vision. Even her parents think she's delirious - until her next vision allows them to save the village. From a small town to the besieged city of Orleans and on to the cathedral of Reims, Joan follows her faith and leads the French to victory after victory. But not everyone believes in the divine voices she hears. Some call her a heretic and want her burned at the stake. From the creators of Outlaw: The Legend of Robin Hood and Excalibur: The Legend of King Arthur comes a visually striking, action-packed story of a young woman facing the men who lead her country, her enemies' deadly arrows, and her own fears, to become a heroine whose name would be remembered for centuries to come. Available in Softcover and Hardcover editions.

My personal reading of this legend is that Jehanne D'Arc was probably a schizophrenic, or the victim of some similar mental illness, that unscrupulous people around her used for propaganda -- until, inevitably, she came to a brutal end. So thinking about Joan of Arc makes me very sad.

But given how I usually tout history-based GNs, I feel obliged to point out those that I personally don't plan to read, like this one. After all, some of you may have a different interpretation, and this story may have a more positive impact for you. If so, here you go.

NECESSARY MONSTERS (GN)

Publisher: DEVILS DUE/1FIRST COMICS LLC

Writer: DANIEL MERLIN GOODBREY

Art/Cover: SEAN AZZOPARDI

Mature/$12.95

There exists a world of horrors beneath the one we know, where the creatures of our nightmares stalk amongst humanity. The Chain polices this world, a covert agency of killer monsters keeping the human herd from growing too thin. Introduction by Kieron Gillen.

I have to say this cover did its job, snagging my attention even though I've looked at dozens of covers today. I may actually pursue this one, given that I like "hidden history" stories.

PURGATORI  VOL 1: TO HELL AND BACK (TPB)

Writer: AARON GILLESPIE

Art: Javier GARCIA MIRANDA

Cover: NEI RUFFINO

152 pages / Teen+ / $17.99

Behold ... Purgatori, the vampire goddess! Born a slave in ancient Alexandria, she refused the life of servitude, rising up against her masters and claiming an unnatural power as her own. In her long life, she has dined on kings and queens, and toppled countless empires across the globe ... but now, she finds herself again on her knees, a slave to her unquenchable thirst!

Lucifer, the lord of Hell, has stripped Purgatori of most of her power and exiled her to Earth, where her insatiable need for blood threatens to overwhelm her sanity. Her only hope for regaining her full stature is by acquiring the Chalice of Regeneration, a cup from antiquity lost to the desert sands. But Purgatori has a rival for the prize, an old enemy with an intense grudge. And even if the vampire goddess can once again attain her former glory, can she withstand the machinations of Lucifer, the weaponsmith Cremator, and Purgatori's own blood clone?

"Anytime someone runs with the whole dark side of Christian mythology thing, they usually get my attention, and with an underdog this dark, I'm intrigued. This is worth a watch." -- Buccaneer Book Reviews

"It is good to see that (Dynamite Entertainment is) ... treating these properties with respect and dignity." -- Comic Wow!

I get some of the Chaos! characters mixed up -- so many of them are half-dressed, hot chicks with fangs -- that I may read this just to set in my mind which one the red one is.

RED SHOES AND OTHER TALES (HC)

Publisher: PAPERCUTZ

Writer/Art/Cover: METAPHROG

$12.99

As the child of peasants, Karen grew up with a pair of simple red shoes. Then, when her parents died, Karen was adopted by a rich old woman who gave Karen a new pair of red shoes that would make princesses green with envy. This newfound wealth causes Karen to forget her humble origins and grow up to become a cruel and vain adult. Then, one day, the red shoes that sparked her greed come to life and steer Karen down a path she never would have imagined in her wildest dreams. This volume also includes Metaphrog's adaptation of the Hans Christian Andersen classic, "The Little Match Girl" and a tale of their own invention, "The Glass Case."

I read the TPB of this one, and it was well done. My chief complaint is that with three short stories, it simply wasn't long enough.

SHAFT: A COMPLICATED MAN (TPB)

Writer: DAVID WALKER

Art: BILQUIS EVELY

Cover: DENYS COWAN, BILL SIENKIEWICZ

$19.99 / Mature / 176 pages

Who's the black private dick that's a sex machine with all the chicks? Shaft! (You're damn right!) Created by author Ernest Tidyman and made famous in a series of novels and films, iconic hero Shaft makes his graphic novel debut in an all-new adventure. He's gone toe-to-toe with organized crime bosses, stood up to the cops, squared off against kidnappers, and foiled assassination attempts. But who was John Shaft before he became the hardboiled investigator with a reputation as big as New York City itself? Recently arriving home from his tour of duty in Vietnam, his first case - tracking down a missing person for his girlfriend - quickly turns into a matter of life and death, making him a target of gangsters and the police!

Winner of the 2015 Glyph Comics Award for "Story of the Year" and nominated for the 2015 Dwayne McDuffie Award for Diversity!

"Slick dialogue, superb art, and a central character who's as cool as they come. Need I say more?" -- Big Comic Page

"Gives the reader a real sense of John Shaft's character while telling a suspense-filled story." -- Rhymes With Geek

"A strong debut from Dynamite Entertainment and one that has my attention." -- Comic Book Resources

"Believable dialogue, a complex protagonist, massive story potential, and great artwork." -- Comic Bastards

OK, my inner fanboy will not allow me to pass this one up. I MUST read this book.

STEAMPUNK BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 1880 (TPB)

Writer: TONY LEE

Art: ANEKE

Cover: ARDIAN SYAF

$15.99 / Teen+ / 112 pages

New York Times bestselling author Tony Lee reimagines the classic Battlestar Galactica concept and characters with a Victorian aesthetic and Industrial Age metalworks!

When the colonial world of Caprica is destroyed by Professor Baltar's clockwork army of city-trampling Cyclonics, Archduke Adama of the Aethership Galactica takes to the skies... choosing the survival of the human race over the rescue of his captive son, Apollo. Disobeying orders and striking out on her own, Lady Athena seeks to free her kidnapped brother with the help of the runaway pilot, Captain Starbuck, and his humanoid Daggit copilot, Muffit... if only they can withstand an assault by vengeful Sky Pirates! Will the ironclad ships and daring spacefarers of this Steampunk universe endure the mechanical menace of the Cyclonics?

"Tons of clever and interesting ideas that really make this seem fresh and new. I highly recommend it." -- Front Towards Gamer

"The blend of steampunk and traditional sci-fi that fans of the two genres need (and) perfect for Battlestar fans. Highly recommended." -- Unleash the Fanboy

"If you like steampunk or space operas in general, give this a chance." -- Comic Wow!

As I've mentioned before, I'm not much on steampunk. But one thing about this cover is that it reminded me, weirdly, of a superhero team book cover.

STORY OF LEE VOL 2 (GN)

Publisher: NBM

Writer: SEAN MICHAEL WILSON

Art/Cover: NAMI TAMURA

$11.99

Finally Lee's dream comes true, as she moves from her native Hong Kong to her dream location: the UK. And with her dream handsome guy: Matt. Exciting! But of course, then comes the reality of being in a new country, of actually living together, and that might not be so easy, especially as Matt's best friend, Richard, seems more than a little jealous. And once again, wise Uncle Jun turns up to offer his advice. With art by Nami Tamura, a Japanese artist published by Kodansha.

The first volume of Story of Lee was about the joy, hope and infinite possibility we feel in young love, whereas this one takes the relationship between Lee and Matt to the next level, where the freshness has worn off and the hard part of building a lasting relationship begins.

And frankly, I'm not sure Matt has what it takes. I'm many years past my own courtship days, but he appears to be something of a thoughtless jerk, and perhaps a bit commitment-averse. Given that Lee is now in a foreign land with uncertain command of the language, his selfishness crosses over into cruelty. If not for Lee's uncle, things would have take a natural turn with the characters breaking up and Lee returning to Hong Kong. (The uncle's wisdom and insight borders on the magical, making him a sort of oracle that I'm guessing is a stock character in manga.)

So despite disliking Matt more and more, I found myself plowing on until the end, and wanting to know what happens next. I think that means I still like The Story of Lee.

SUPERMAN WAR YEARS (HC)

Publisher: CHARTWELL BOOKS

Writer: JERRY SIEGEL

Art/Cover:  JOE SCHUSTER, JACK BURNLEY

$24.99

This compilation of comic books from the early years of Superman reveals his involvement in World War II. Superman was not like any previous comic book character. He was the first costumed man with two identities, who possessed extraordinary strength and powers. He would protect the public when ordinary measures would not do. He was not the first super hero, but the Man of Steel would become the prototype for all super heroes thereafter.

Batman's already out, and here's Superman. I think Wonder Woman's next.

WEBWITCH #1

Publisher: BOUNDLESS COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: MATT MARTIN

Mature/$5.99

Ten Years in the making, Matt Martin's Webwitch launches with an enormous 64 page first issue!  Written and drawn by the cover maestro, Matt Martin, Webwitch is the story of a sultry secret agent, with skills far beyond her peers.  She never suspects those heightened reflexes and amazing agility are due to alien DNA, locked away in her system.  All seems to be perfect for Nina as she falls in love with her handler and together they go on exotic missions... until her world crumbles.  The Webwitch alien race comes to Earth, bringing carnage and death, and activates her as a sleeper agent.  Now with her true nature revealed, and new abilities to change form, Nina is torn between worlds.  Webwitch is a thrill ride of everything from monster carnage and alien melting death rays to sexy women, and even sexier aliens! 

This monstrous launch issue has the first chapter of the story as well as the first chapter of the Tim Vigil's Webwitch story ,which acts as a lead-in to this new series, in full-color for the first time.  But that's not all, a huge gallery of Matt Martin art is also included with over a dozen of his amazing Webwitch covers from years past!  This issue has an amazing array of variant covers including Regular, Wraparound, Honey Trap, and a Retailer Incentive Pure Art by Martin and Alien Seduction cover by Juan Jose Ryp.   Christian Zanier illustrates the Vintage Vixen (a homage to sexy spies of the past) and the ultra-collectable Costume Change 6 cover set (with sexy topless and nude covers included!) that is limited to just 250 sets.

I shouldn't pick on this title, but sometimes the T&A is so in-your-face that it just ticks me off. Is that girl on Cover A actually twerking? Come on, boys, grow up.

WES CRAVEN COMING OF RAGE #1

Publisher: LIQUID COMICS LLC

Writers: WES CRAVEN, STEVE NILES

Art/Cover: FRANCESCO BIAGINI

Mature/$3.99

From horror icon Wes Craven, director of Scream and Nightmare On Elm Street comes his first comic book series. Wes Craven writes the series with Steve Niles, bringing two horror masters together for the first time. Says Craven: "About a year ago I had the beginning of an unwritten joke come into my head: A Vampire, a Werewolf and a Zombie walk into a bar ... Just that. My imagination went crazy thinking about what could happen when three such impossibly different characters were thrown together. I met with comic book legend Steve Niles. We hit it off, and decided to work out the story of a very special young man's coming of age, and the two unlikely friends who helped him to survive it. After a bit of hard, fun work, a series of comic books were born, telling the story of how these three ended up on the run together, and how the central character, Ritchie, lost his innocence and became one of the most powerful vampires in the world."

Steve Niles and Wes Craven sound like a winning combination, so this title might be worth checking out.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –