Comics Guide for October 7, 2015

CAPTAIN'S NOTE: This is a huge week, with a lot of No. Ones from Marvel and dozens of other interesting books, so the Guide is running extra long. Sorry about that. But the books are worth it, so let's get to it!

DARK HORSE COMICS

ADAM.3 #3 (of 5)

Writer/Art/Cover: SCOTT KOLINS

On sale Oct 7

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

Continuing the best work of his career, Scott Kolins (Flash, Avengers, Solomon Grundy) shows the terrifying cost of evil as Adam battles monsters who were once his closest friends! How many will suffer as S.E.E.D.S. Part 3: Epidemic threatens to destroy all life on the island paradise?

• Writer/artist Scott Kolins premieres Adam.3!

• Published in special “widescreen” format!

“Epic and masterfully done, but best of all original!” -- Geoff Johns

This &%$#'s getting' real!

Seriously, the story takes a serious turn where Adam's perfect little world is turned very dangerous. I suspect we're going to get some answers pretty soon about what's really going on here.

I've never been a Scott Kolins fan particularly, but he's really shooting for the moon here, and it shows.

BARB WIRE #4

Writer: CHRIS WARNER

Pencils: PATRICK OLLIFFE

Inks: TOM NGUYEN

Colors: GABE ELTAEB

Cover: ADAM HUGHES

On sale Oct 7

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing 

Wyvern Stormblüd is on a murderous rampage, and Barb Wire is the focus of the drunken disaster’s fury. Barb’s lost the one weapon capable of dropping the besotted behemoth, and if it can’t be found among the wreckage of a shuttered steel mill, she’ll be laid off for good!

The most fun you’ll have reading a comic this year!

I took a cue from the last line of the solicitation above and tried to read this issue of Barb Wire as a comedy, one I shouldn't take too seriously. I thought, "Maybe that's why this book irritates me so -- I'm taking it too seriously."

And I want to like it. A book this pretty and with such a great pedigree is a book I should like.

But even trying to find the humor in the continued, abject failure of the lead character in every aspect of her life, and her continual, deliberate humiliation by all the men in her life, still sets my teeth on edge. I guess they're going for a Peter Parker vibe, but instead it just comes across as ridiculing a woman's attempt to to be independent.

I'll keep trying to like this book, because I'll never be able to resist the Adam Hughes covers. But Barb needs a win once in a while, when she tells some guy not to call her "Babe" it needs to stick, and her failures need to be less personally humiliating. I half expect to see Barb turned over a knee and spanked by a big, strong man to put her in her place. The humor is here is in line with '60s comedies like Pillow Talk, and the time for that sort of casual misogyny is long gone.

I guess I just don't find any humor in seeing women turned into powerless victim.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

BOB POWELL’S COMPLETE JET POWERS (HC)

Writers: STEVE RUDE, JAMES VANCE, JOHN WOOLEY

Art: BOB POWELL

On sale Oct 7

FC, 200 pages, $49.99

HC, 7” x 10”

Finally collected in a deluxe hardcover: the complete adventures of Jet Powers, hero of the cult sci-fi comics by legendary artist Bob Powell in which the “Captain of Science” battles the diabolical Mr. Sinn. Collects stories from Jet Powers #1–4 and The American Air Forces. Introduction by Steve Rude (Nexus) and essay by James Vance and John Wooley.

• Complete collection of the cult favorite Jet Powers!

• Designed by Eisner winner Randall Dahlk (The Rocketeer Artist’s Edition).

I hate to be Mr. Negative, but here's another example of my mantra that "not every old comic book needs to be reprinted."

I always thought of Bob Powell as a decent draftsman who was a bit of clumsy with execution, who was only well regarded in his time because he was a level above the usual Golden Age artist, most of whom were terrible. This book falls in line with that assessment, as the layouts/storytelling are good, but faces change from panel to panel, legs and arms are often out of proportion or positioned oddly and the overall effect is uniform blandness.

Jet Powers is a particularly uninspired lead character, essentially Captain Midnight without the goofy sidekick. Oh wait, he gets a sidekick, a generic, cliched Oriental beauty of the 1950s vein, whose change in loyalties from her evil father to the heroic good guy is such a cliche that Powell doesn't even bother to depict it. She's his murderous prisoner in issue #1, then his wiling assistant in issue #2.

There are some oddities about Jet that should be mentioned, mainly that his hair style is an odd one, a cross between a crew cut and Norman Osborne. And it's entirely white. This odd look reminded me of nothing so much as Steve Ditko's first take on Captain Atom 10 years later. In addition, Jet wears a blue shirt with an atom symbol on it -- which, again, appears on Captain Atom 10 years later. Have I caught Steve Ditko in a swipe?

Anyway, I only read halfway through my digital review copy of Jet Powers, because it was so boring. Maybe I should amend my slogan from "not every old comic book needs reprinting" to "a notch above terrible isn't good."

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DEAD VENGEANCE #1 (of 4)

Writer/Art/Cover: BILL MORRISON

Inks: KEITH CHAMPAGNE

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

On sale Oct 7

Miniseries

A DEAD P.I. SOLVES HIS OWN MURDER

It’s 1940, and a phony body on exhibit in a carnival sideshow suddenly springs to life and shambles away. Not so phony after all, he is John Doe, radio commentator and archenemy of Detroit’s notorious Purple Gang! But why did he disappear in 1930, and why did the mayor, the mob, and the cops all want him dead?

Perfect for fans of The Goon!

A dead guy in a tank in a Detroit sideshow wakes up in 1940 but can't remember who he is. He remembers his best friend and calls him up, who takes him out on Lake MIchigan in a boat and begins to fill him in on who he is: John Dover, crusading radio reporter, who's been missing for 10 years. We only get half the story in this first issue, although we see a mysterious Gypsy woman lurking in the background.

OK, everybody know exactly where this story is going? Yeah, me too. But the art is nice -- kinda cartoony, but pleasant. It's kinda Goon-like, only lighter in tone and style. I expect Dead Vengeance to be a pleasant, if cliched, read, and I"ll be sticking around to see if I'm right.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

EERIE ARCHIVES VOL 20 (HC)

Writers/Art: Various

On sale Oct 7

FC, 264 pages, $49.99

HC, 8” x 11”

Bipedal shark creatures, tattooed assassins, cursed family trees, and time-travel disasters fill the pages of Eerie Archives Volume 20! The Rook returns, the interlocking “Fallen Angels” stories show how supernatural justice comes to a big city, and the adventures of Mac Tavish: Hero of Zodiac V and Abelmar Jones: Supernatural Ghetto Detective continue! Collects Eerie #95–99!

• All bonus features, fan pages, and letters columns are included! 

• Foreword by Ray Fawkes (Creepy, Constantine)!

I remember this cover vividly from 1979, when I would have been in college. I remember wondering how a skeleton could walk around without muscles and such, how he could become a cop (or did a cop become a skeleton?) and why the other cops didn't seem concerned at his, ah, condition.

Now that's a cover doing its job! But I couldn't afford it at the time. Now, decades later, I'll finally find out the answer to all those questions!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

EI8HT VOL 1 (TPB)

Writers: MIKE JOHNSON, RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

Art/Cover: RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

On sale Oct 7

FC, 128 pages, $17.99

TPB, 7” x 10”

Welcome to the Meld, an inhospitable dimension in time where a chrononaut finds himself trapped. With no memory or feedback from the team of scientists that sent him, he can’t count on anything but his heart and a stranger’s voice to guide him to his destiny. Collects issues #1–5.

“Snappy dialogue, eye-catching scenery and a mystery as deep as twenty-two pages can accommodate.” -- Comic Book Resources

“[EI8HT is] really amazing. The art is fantastic.” -- Jeff Lemire (Sweet Tooth, Black Hammer)

I haven't had a chance to read this one yet, but I'm looking forward to it!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

LARA CROFT AND THE FROZEN OMEN #1 (of 5)

Writer: CORINNA BECKHO

Pencils: RANDY GREEN

Inks: ANDY OWEN

Colors: MICHAEL ATIYEH

Cover: JEAN-SÉBASTIEN ROSSBACH

On sale Oct 7

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

The classic Lara Croft returns!

An all-new Lara Croft miniseries begins with Corinna Bechko at the helm!

It’s up to Lara to stop a group of cultists from causing worldwide cataclysmic devastation, and ancient ivory artifacts hold the key to both salvation and destruction! It’s a race against time in Lara’s new quest, filled with incredible action, dual pistols, and high-spirited adventure.

Lara Croft® is back with dual pistols, sharp wit, and an eye for action as acclaimed writer Corinna Beckho takes on the video game icon in Lara Croft and the Frozen Omen this October.

Based in the same universe as the Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris® and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light® video games from Crystal Dynamics, Lara Croft and the Frozen Omen is a five issue miniseries written by Bechko and illustrated by Tomb Raider® comics veteran Randy Green.

In this all-new adventure, Lara must stop a group of cultists from causing world-wide cataclysmic devastation, and ancient ivory artifacts hold the key to both salvation and destruction! It’s a race against time in Lara’s new quest, filled with incredible action, dual pistols, and non-stop adventure.

“Lara is incredibly fun to write,” Bechko told Polygon. “She doesn’t suffer fools, she’s smart, and she’s talented. She’s always ready for action, but she’s not afraid to think through a problem either. And she doesn’t ever wait around for someone else to save her. There’s a lot of satisfaction in writing a character like that.”

“We’re excited to continue our partnership with Dark Horse on a new Lara Croft comic,” said Rich Briggs, Brand Director at Crystal Dynamics. “This globe-trotting series is filled with the dual gun-wielding action and confident flair that nostalgic Lara Croft fans will love. It’s a great companion to the existing Tomb Raider comics, and offers fans another way to go on a high-octane adventure with Lara.”

A great entry point for new readers!

“[Bechko has] ears for good, tightly written dialogue.”—Comic Book Resources

DH is proud enough of this series to send out this lengthy press release, and the art looks pretty good. But I have a question, and I'm not trying to be snarky.

I've never played a Tomb Raider video game, never saw the movie, read only a handful of the Image series. But I do know who Lara Croft is from the barrage of Internet info, and what I know is that what makes her stand out from, say, Indiana Jones, or other two-fisted archaeologists, is that she has preposterously large breasts.

I'm being serious here: What else is there to this character that I should care about her?

I haven't read this book yet, but I intend to. I'd kinda like to know what I'm looking for, aside from the two obvious things.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

SHERLOCK HOLMES AND THE NECRONOMICON (HC)

Writer: SYLVAIN CORDURIÉ

Art/Cover: LACI

On sale Oct 7

FC, 96 pages, $17.99

HC, 7” x 10”

Following his encounter with the vampire Selymes, Sherlock Holmes embarks on an Arctic expedition under the assumed name of Thomas Sigerson. During his excursion, the great detective uncovers strange and dark forces at work, and learns that some mysteries are best left unsolved!

• The follow-up to the thrilling Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London!

• Reprinting the Soleil classic in English for the first time ever!

Read the comic! Watch the series!

How did I miss Sherlock Holmes and the Vampires of London? I'll try to find it, while I'll make time for this series as well.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DC COMICS

Horror Movie Variant Covers

No doubt due to Halloween, DC's variant covers this month are monster oriented. Included below are the variants for Action Comics #45, Batman Beyond #5, Green Arrow #45 and Green Lantern #45.

Interestingly, three out of four are direct homages. The first visually references the movie poster for the original The Day the Earth Stood Still, with Superman standing in for Gort. The second is quite likely an homage to Neal Adams' cover to Tomb of Dracula #1, although I have to say that monsters/villains/robots (including Gort) posing with an attractive victim in this manner appears so often, especially Tomb of Dracula and Dracula Lives covers that it's virtually a cliche. The third is another Neal Adams cover homaging an earlier Neal Adams cover, that of Green Lantern #87, with the figures reversed. That's the second time in as many months that Adams has homaged his own work from his 1972 Green Lantern run, which is starting to get a little creepy. Meanwhile, the Green Arrow/swamp monster cover seems original, unless one of you Legionnaires know of something. Anyway, here are the three pieces of art being homaged:

ASTRO CITY: PRIVATE LIVES (TPB)

Written by KURT BUSIEK

Art by BRENT ANDERSON and GRAHAM NOLAN

Cover by ALEX ROSS

On sale OCTOBER 7 • 176 pg, FC, $16.99 US

In these tales from ASTRO CITY #11-16, get to know the assistant to one of Astro City’s newest and most powerful mystic heroes, the Silver Adept. Plus, we take a look at the Gentleman Bandit as he continues his life of well-dressed crime as a member of the Menagerie Gang, and meet the proprietor of a roadside killer-robot sanctuary and museum. But the Broken Man isn’t done with our town yet, and he spies on both the Dancing Master and Starbright—a teen superhero whose destiny is entwined with that of his greatest foe!

Astro City alert!

BATMAN AND ROBIN ETERNAL #1

Story and script by JAMES TYNION IV and SCOTT SNYDER

Art and cover by TONY S. DANIEL

1:50 Variant cover by MIKEL JANIN

Blank variant cover available

On sale OCTOBER 7 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

This issue will ship with three covers.

It’s here at last -- the sequel to the blockbuster weekly series BATMAN ETERNAL!

Five years ago, Batman and Robin worked the most disturbing case of their crimefighting careers-- bringing down the organization of the ultimate human trafficker, the mysterious woman known only as Mother. At the time, Dick Grayson never quite understood the scope of that case, but now its darkest secrets are coming back to haunt him and everyone else who ever worked with Batman! With  Bruce Wayne now lost to them, Dick and all his allies are out in the cold! Who can they trust? Is someone among them not who they say they are? And who is the deadly, silent young woman in black who’s come to Gotham City looking for Batman?

Prepare yourself for six months of international intrigue, twists and turns, and new additions to the world of Batman and Robin, from showrunners James Tynion IV and Scott Snyder, and writers Tim Seeley, Steve Orlando, Genevieve Valentine, Ed Brisson, and Jackson Lanzing & Collin Kelley!

I didn't read Batman Eternal, but if you did, here's a sequel.

BATMAN ETERNAL VOL. 3 (TPB)

Written by SCOTT SNYDER, JAMES TYNION IV, RAY FAWKES, KYLE HIGGINS and TIM SEELEY

Art by FERNANDO BLANCO, ANDREA MUTTI, JOE QUINONES and others

Cover by CLIFF CHIANG

On sale OCTOBER 7 • 448 pg, FC, $39.99 US

The third act of BATMAN ETERNAL begins as the GCPD have done the impossible: They’ve beaten Batman! Meanwhile, the rogues of Gotham City unite under a mysterious foe that even the Riddler is terrified of. The epic finale of the critically acclaimed series roars to its conclusion in these tales from issues #35-52 and BATMAN #28.

Speaking of which, here's a collection from Batman Eternal. And it looks like the Bat-family is back together again. Did that happen in that series? They got estranged in Scott Snyder's "Death of a Family," and that still pertains, AFAIK.

BATMAN: THE ROAD TO NO MAN’S LAND VOL. 1 (TPB)

Written by DENNIS O’NEIL, ALAN GRANT and CHUCK DIXON

Art by ROGER ROBINSON, MARK BUCKINGHAM, JIM APARO and others

Cover by GLEN ORBIK

On sale OCTOBER 7 • 424 pg, FC, $29.99 US

After a cataclysmic earthquake, those who refuse to vacate Gotham City live amid a citywide turf war. Collects BATMAN #555-559, BATMAN: SHADOW OF THE BAT #75-79, DETECTIVE COMICS #722-726, ROBIN #54 and THE BATMAN CHRONICLES #14.

This cover seems familiar. Even if it's not an homage, though, it's still sad to see the Dinosaur robot and the giant penny in such a state!

CONVERGENCE (HC)

Written by JEFF KING, SCOTT LOBDELL and DAN JURGENS

Art by ETHAN VAN SCIVER, CARLO PAGULAYAN, STEPHEN SEGOVIA, ANDY KUBERT, AARON LOPRESTI and others

Cover by ETHAN VAN SCIVER

On sale OCTOBER 7

320 pgs | Color | Rated T | $29.99 U.S.

Worlds live. Worlds die. And nothing will ever be the same.

But where do worlds go when they die? Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour, and Flashpoint all saw characters and timelines suddenly disappear ... but they've never been forgotten. Written by Jeff King (creator of USA Network's White Collar) and Scott Lobdell, this universe-shaking new graphic novel is the biggest story in DC Comics history and ties into literally every DC story ever told.

The Earthquakes felt round the Multiverse, Superman's lost days after "Doomed," the World's End -- all these points now converge with deadly consequences, as a mysterious force oversees the end of everything. Now, the entire DC Universe, from the dawn of time through The New 52, must fight to survive against a threat that bends the Multiverse to its will. Kingdom Come, Superman: Red Son, Wild West Justice League, Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew -- all your favorite characters from every era are all here, pitted against one another in a battledome-style scrum for the right to live on!

But are you going to say hello again just to say goodbye forever? All the worlds you remember can still be found here as the heroes you love are brought together for CONVERGENCE. This new hardcover graphic novel is the next great epic in DC Comics history!

About the Author:

Jeff King is the writer and creator of the hit USA series White Collar, as well as over a dozen other TV shows throughout the past 20 years. He is writing TELOS for DC Comics and was behind the epic CONVERGENCE event series.

Praise for CONVERGENCE:

"A love letter to fans of these characters."-- USA Today

"A real spectacle."-- PopMatters

"A big, loud, superhero epic."-- IGN

We covered Convergence thoroughly on this site, so most of you reading this know how most Legionnaires felt about it. ("Mixed reviews," I'd say.) Anyway, DC's going to reprint the whole shebang, starting with the main series above, and the individual stories as well, collected by "event." This week collects the books from the post-Zero Hour time frame in two TPBs, shown below.

I have to say I thought they handled the Hal Jordan/Parallax dichotomy very well.

CONVERGENCE: ZERO HOUR BOOK ONE-TWO (TPB)

BOOK ONE

Written by JUSTIN GRAY, CHRISTY MARX, RON MARZ, FRANK TIERI and FABIAN NICIEZA

Art by RON RANDALL, RAGS MORALES, CLAUDE ST-AUBIN, MIKE MANLEY, TOM MANDRAKE and KARL MOLINE

Cover by TBD

On sale OCTOBER 7 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection stars Green Arrow, Superboy, Catwoman the Suicide Squad and many more, as they fight in a gladiator-style competition to see which worlds will live...and which will perish! This book also addresses dangling plot threads from the 1990s that involve Green Arrow, Connor Hawke and Justice League International. Collects CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL #1-2, CONVERGENCE: CATWOMAN #1-2, CONVERGENCE: SUPERBOY #1-2, CONVERGENCE: GREEN ARROW #1-2 and CONVERGENCE: SUICIDE SQUAD #1-2.

BOOK TWO

Written by LOUISE SIMONSON, LARRY HAMA, KEITH GIFFEN and TONY BEDARD

Art by JUNE BRIGMAN, PHILIP TAN, TIMOTHY GREEN II, CLIFF RICHARDS, RON WAGNER and others

Cover by TBD

On sale OCTOBER 7 • 240 pg, FC, $19.99 US

This CONVERGENCE collection stars Batman, Aquaman, Green Lantern and many more, and includes the miniseries SUPERMAN: MAN OF STEEL #1-2, BATMAN: SHADOW OF THE BAT #1-2, SUPERGIRL: MATRIX #1-2, AQUAMAN #1-2 and GREEN LANTERN/PARALLAX #1-2.

TELOS #1

Written by JEFF KING

Art by CARLO PAGULAYAN and JASON PAZ

Cover by CARLO PAGULAYAN

1:25 Variant cover by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

On sale OCTOBER 7 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

This issue will ship with two covers.

The villain of the world-shattering CONVERGENCE event stars in his own new series! Set loose from his planetary tether at the end of the best-selling CONVERGENCE, Telos finds himself free and able to traverse space and time via a sliver of Brainiac’s powers. As this epic begins, he embarks on an odyssey, journeying across time and space in search of his past.

Did anyone come away from "Convergence" thinking, "Boy, I'd sure like to see more of that Telos fellow!" I sure didn't.

SENSATION COMICS FEATURING WONDER WOMAN #15

Written by ADAM BEECHEN and CARLA SPEED McNEIL

Art by JOSE LUIS GARCIA-LOPEZ, KEVIN NOWLAN, SCOTT HANNA and CARLA SPEED McNEIL

Cover by JENNY FRISON

On sale OCTOBER 7 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

In “Our Little Dance,” when the well-meaning members of Debbi Domaine’s family argue that Cheetah needs rehabilitation more than incarceration, Wonder Woman is dragged into court! And Diana teaches a young thug a lesson about how having a pet forces you to train “Both Ends of the Leash.”

As far as I'm concerned, Jenny Frison can draw Wonder Woman covers from now until the end of time.

SURVIVORS CLUB #1

Written by LAUREN BEUKES and DALE HALVORSEN

Art by RYAN KELLY

Cover by BILL SIENKIEWICZ

On sale OCTOBER 7 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • MATURE READERS

One was possessed by a poltergeist. Another was trapped in a haunted house. A third had a killer doll. Ever wonder what happened to these children of the 1980s? Find out in SURVIVORS CLUB, a new series cowritten by renowned horror novelist Lauren Beukes and videogame journalist Dave Halverson, with art by Ryan Kelly (NORTHLANDERS).

Having found each other over the internet, six grown-up survivors are drawn together by the horrors they experienced in 1987 when a rash of occult events occurred around the world—with fatal results. Now, there are indications that it may be happening all over again. Is it possible that these six aren’t just survivors—but were chosen for their fates?

I don't know anything about this, but what occurs to me is that books of this nature usually appear at Image now. And if you were an established writer, wouldn't you rather launch a book where you have total ownership rather than at Vertigo, where you don't?

IDW PUBLISHING

'ARTIST EDITION BLANK SKETCH' VARIANT COVERS

A bunch of variant covers at IDW this month are patterned after their successful "Artist's Edition" collections. This week's are from Atomic Robo and the Ring of Fire #2 and X-Files Season 11 #3.

ANGRY BIRDS: SUPER ANGRY BIRDS #2 (of 4)

Writer: JEFF PARKER

Art: RON RANDALL

Cover: RON RANDALL

Subscription Variant: MARCELO FERREIRA

When New Yolk City is in peril, only one team is brave enough… bold enough… mad enough to stand up and fight for the rights of its citizens. They are – the Super Angry Birds!

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

My first thought when I saw that first cover (on the left) is that it should have been a Flash/Blockbuster team-up in the Bob Haney era of Brave and Bold. The second cover (on the right) is an homage to Amazing Fantasy #15.

BEYOND MARS (HC)

Writer: JACK WILLIAMSON

Art/Cover: LEE ELIAS

HC • FC • $49.99 • 160 pages • 9.25" x 12"

Written by renowned science fiction author Jack Williamson and superbly drawn by Lee Elias, Beyond Mars is one of the rarest Sunday strips -- it only appeared in a single newspaper, The New York Sunday News. This oversized book presents the complete series -- all 161 strips from 1952 to 1955 -- in their original color!

The complete hard-to-find strip, in one collection!

I don't know anything about this one either, but after Jet Powers, I'm a little leery of obscure-title collections. Anyone have an opinion?

BOY-1 #3 (of 4)

Writer: H.S. TAK

Art: AMANCAY NAHUELPAN

Cover: BRENT MCKEE

Variant: DANIJEL ZEZELJ

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

In the near future, when the drug-addled heir of a genetic-engineering company begins to investigate his company's murky past, he discovers he is the catalyst in a terrifying global event that will transform him and forever alter the course of human evolution.

In the tradition of Y: The Last Man and Blade Runner.

I started reading this, and felt like I'd missed an issue. I have to go find issue #2 to find out if A) I read it and completely forgot it, B) I forgot to read it or C) there's a serious narrative jump between issues. I'm must (barely) interested enough in this storyline to find out.

HAUNTED HORROR #19: SPECIAL HALLOWEEN ISSUE

Writers: VARIOUS

Art: ALEX TOTH, LOU CAMERON, JACK ABEL, EUGENE HUGHES, ART GATES, AND MORE

Cover: BERNARD BAILY

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

A terrifying Spook-tacular Halloween Ish! Steve Banes of the infamous "The Horrors of It All" pre-code comics blog, assembles, Frankenstein-like, this Halloween horror-winner of a comic book! Tremble and read if you dare this frightful fare: "Out of the Black Night", "Trick or Treat" and many more morbid tales! This Halloween eye-candy won't rot your teeth—just your brain!

How appropriate!

HCF 2015 DONALD DUCKS HALLOWEEN SCREAM #1

Publisher: IDW PUBLISHING

Writer/Art: WILLIAM VAN HORN

Cover: DAN NOONAN

Classic Disney haunts are home for the howl-iday! In "It's In the Bag" and "Public Ugly #1," trick-or-treating Donald scares up a literal ton of candy ... then is forced to get rid of it by fair means or foul!

I'm guessing this is the free book we'll see on Comic Fest.

MICKEY MOUSE: THE MYSTERIOUS CRYSTAL BALL

Writers: ANDREA "CASTY" CASTELLAN, BILL WALSH, JONATHAN GRAY

Art: GIORGIO CAVAZZANO, MANUEL GONZALES, PAUL MURRY

Cover: AMY MEBBERSON

TPB • FC • $12.99 • 148 pages • 6" x 9"

The adventures of Mickey Mouse return in these kid-friendly-sized collections of classic stories such as "The Lost Explorers' Trail," "Mickey Mouse vs. The Phantom Blot," "The Mysterious Crystal Ball," and more!

As I've said before, these European reprints are really rather good.

SHERLOCK HOLMES: THE SEVEN-PER-CENT SOLUTION #3 (of 5)

Writers: DAVID & SCOTT TIPTON

Art: RON JOSEPH

Cover: KELLEY JONES

Subscription Variant: JUAN CARLOS RUIZ

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Holmes and Watson have arrived in Vienna in the hopes of treating Holmes' addiction, but soon find themselves grappling with something they didn't expect: a mystery! The adaptation of the best-selling novel continues!

I can't seem to find the first issue of this mini, so I've not read the following two. I have to scout one up before I can say anything.

TET #2 (of 4)

Writer: PAUL ALLOR

Art/Cover/Variant: PAUL TUCKER

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

The city is on fire; the murder remains unsolved; star-crossed lovers are split apart. As the Tet Offensive begins, Eugene abandons his post, and navigates a hellish landscape, desperate to find the woman he loves. But who's going to save him?

I'm still baffled why anyone would set a series in such a painful period in American history, but points for originality.

IMAGE COMICS

AXCEND #1

Writer: SHANE DAVIS

Art/Cover: SHANE DAVIS, MICHELLE DELECKI, & MORRY HOLLOWELL

OCTOBER 7 / 32 PAGES/ FC / M / $3.50

Superman Earth One co-creator SHANE DAVIS returns to comics for an all-new ONGOING SERIES! What happens when a video game decides to come to our reality to play? When there are no extra lives, and Armageddon looms on the horizon, when your life revolves around gaming like teenager Eric Morn, you Press Start.

“In Axcend, teenager, Eric Morn's life revolves around gaming,” said Davis. “He quickly finds himself locked against a vicious player only to realize the game, Axcend, has carried over into the real world with apocalyptic consequences.”

Writer/artist SHANE DAVIS (Superman: Earth One), MICHELLE DELECKI (JLA,Venom) and MORRY HOLLOWELL (Civil War, Old Man Logan) bring you an epic sci-fi/thriller that's like Tron meets Inception with a cheat code! This special introductory issue features 28 full pages and no ads! Each issue of the series will feature a VS. linking cover variant by DAVIS showcasing the book's cast.

I've gotten spoiled with all of the off-beat, fascinating new books from Image -- a superhero book just seems kinda pedestrian!

BITCH PLANET, VOL 1: EXTRAORDINARY MACHINE (TPB)

Writer: KELLY SUE DeCONNICK

Art: VALENTINE DE LANDRO, ROBERT WILSON IV

Cover: VALENTINE DE LANDRO

JULY 8 / 156 PAGES / FC / M / $9.99

SPECIAL LOW INTRODUCTORY PRICE OF $9.99!

Eisner Award-nominated writer KELLY SUE DeCONNICK (PRETTY DEADLY, Captain Marvel) and VALENTINE DE LANDRO (X-Factor) present the premiere volume of BITCH PLANET, their critically acclaimed and deliciously vicious sci-fi satire. Think Margaret Atwood meets Inglourious Basterds. Discussion guide included.

Collects BITCH PLANET #1-5.

I've waited for this trade, rather than read any individual issues, because I figure it will take time for DeConnick to establish this contradictory premise. I'm not really hopeful she can pull off a female-empowerment, women-in-prison story that is, in addition, actually a good read, but I'm willing to give it a try. At first blush, the concept seems less like inspiration and more like a party trick or a lost bet.

CODENAME BABOUSHKA: THE CONCLAVE OF DEATH #1 (of 4)

Writer: ANTONY JOHNSTON

Art/Cover A: SHARI CHANKHAMMA

Cover B: TULA LOTAY

OCTOBER 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / T+ / $3.99

What if the sexy Russian Bond girl was actually the hero?

Written by Antony Johnston (THE FUSE, The Coldest City, Daredevil) with art by Shari Chankhamma (SHELTERED, The Sisters’ Luck), and letters by Simon Bowland, CODENAME BABOUSHKA is an action-packed modern pulp spy thriller. Full of high-stakes thrills in exotic locations, CODENAME BABOUSHKA follows a kick-ass female hero in the style of James Bond and Modesty Blaise!

"Codename Baboushka has everything you'd expect from me: a kick-ass female hero, bags of tension, and deep, dark secrets that everyone's trying to figure out,” said Johnston. “But it's also way more high-octane than anything I've done before, with guns, fists, and explosions everywhere!”

The enigmatic Contessa is a wealthy socialite, the last heiress to a noble Russian line -- and secretly a deadly assassin! Blackmailed by the US government to carry out dirty jobs even the CIA can’t sanction, she’s got nothing to lose ... and everything to fight for!

I'm big into both James Bond and Russian anything, so I feel like the target market for this. They're going to have to try hard to get me to dislike it!

P.S.: "Baboushka" -- usually transliterated "babushka" -- is Russian for "grandmother" or "old lady."

JUPITER'S CIRCLE, VOL. 1 (TPB)

Writer: MARK MILLAR

Art: WILFREDO TORRES & DAVIDE GIANFELICE

Cover: FRANK QUITELY

OCTOBER 7 / 144 PAGES / FC / M / $9.99

SPECIAL LOW INTRODUCTORY PRICE OF $9.99!

In midcentury America, a team of young superheroes faces epic threats in public while battling personal demons behind closed doors.

Collects JUPITER'S CIRCLE #1-6.

Recommended.

PAPER GIRLS #1

Writer: BRIAN K. VAUGHAN

Art: CLIFF CHIANG & MATT WILSON

Cover: CLIFF CHIANG

OCTOBER 7 / 48 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

SAGA writer BRIAN K. VAUGHAN launches a brand-new ONGOING SERIES with superstar Wonder Woman artist CLIFF CHIANG! In the early hours after Halloween of 1988, four 12-year-old newspaper delivery girls uncover the most important story of all time. Stand By Me meets War of the Worlds in this mysterious young adult adventure, starting with a spectacular DOUBLE-SIZED FIRST ISSUE for the regular price of just $2.99!

Here's another off-beat Image debut. I love Chiang's art, so I'm halfway to liking this already.

PLUTONA #2

Writer: JEFF LEMIRE & EMI LENOX

Art/Cover: EMI LENOX

OCTOBER 7 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

After discovering the body of PLUTONA, the world's greatest super hero, in the woods, five kids must decide what to do next, a decision that may tear their young lives apart.

I alluded last week to some things last week, while avoiding spoilers, that the solicitation above simply spells out. Well! That makes it easier!

The book begins with a Stand By Me vibe where a group of kids find a dead body in the woods. The twist is that the dead boy is the titular star, a superheroine named Plutona. The second half of the book is the story of Plutona's last day, but we don't get very far -- we see her home life (blue collar, single mom) and presumably each issue will bring her closer to her death, which is the beginning of the first issue. So maybe there are elements of "Who Killed Retro Girl?" as well, plus the non-linear storytelling so popular with the kids today.

SAINTS #1

Writer: SEAN LEWIS

Art/Cover: BEN MACKEY

Mature/$2.99

Award-winning playwright and This American Life personality  SEAN LEWIS teams with red-hot artist BEN MACKEY for an all-new ONGOING SERIES!  Dexter-style action collides with  a Preacher-esque sensibility in this crime/horror series for mature readers.  Blaise, Lucy, and Sebastian discover a Holy War is erupting and they, unwittingly, are the next generation of Saints poised to fight for a heaven that God has abandoned. The occult rises in  a spectacular, action-packed first issue crammed full  of heavy metal, sex, and deadly one-liners.

Did I say something about off-beat, fascinating new books from Image? Yes, yes I did. Here's another.

THE WALKING DEAD COMPENDIUM VOL.3

Writer: ROBERT KIRKMAN

Art: CHARLIE ADLARD, STEFANO GAUDIANO, & CLIFF RATHBURN

Cover: CHARLIE ADLARD & DAVE STEWART

OCTOBER 7 / 1,104 PAGES / B&W / M / $59.99

Just in time for the new season of The Walking Dead on AMC, the fan-favorite New York Times bestselling series returns with its third massive paperback collection. Image Comics/Skybound is pleased to announce that THE WALKING DEAD COMPENDIUM THREE by creator Robert Kirkman and artist Charlie Adlard will be available for $59.99 in bookstores on October 13, 2015.

For fans of the pop culture phenomenon hoping to catch up on the series, this massive volume will allow readers to binge-read over 1,000 pages of the survivalist horror story and will collect issues #97-144.

THE WALKING DEAD COMPENDIUM THREE contains the next chapter of Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard's Eisner Award-winning continuing story of dystopian terror. Rick Grimes’s dream of rebuilding civilization is tested as the people of Alexandria come into contact with other communities that have developed their own methods of survival.

If you're jonesing for TWD, here ya go. Season Six premiere is Oct. 11!

MARVEL COMICS

The new, post-Secret Wars Marvel Universe launches this week. I've included as many previews as I can, and all the press releases, but otherwise I don't know any more than you do. There are also at least three different variant-cover themes this month -- Kirby Monster, Hip-Hop and Cosplay -- but I haven't separated them out since I'm running the full solicitations anyway. 

ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT MARVEL POINT ONE #1

Writers: AL EWING, CHARLES SOULE, SKOTTIE YOUNG, GERRY CONWAY, MARC GUGGENHEIM

Art: FELIPE ANDRADE, RON GARNEY, PACO MEDINA, GERMAN PERALTA, MIKE PERKINS, STEFANO CASELLI

Cover by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Variant A by DAVID MARQUEZ

Variant B by DAVID MARQUEZ

Kirby Monster Variant by PAUL POPE

56 PGS./ One-Shot / Rated T+ / $5.99

After Secret Wars, it’s an All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe! This October, don’t miss your one-stop entry point into the changes, mysteries and shocking status quos that have developed in the eight months that have passed in the Marvel Universe. Today Marvel is pleased to present your first look inside ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT MARVEL POINT ONE #1! Featuring new stories of DAREDEVIL, CARNAGE, ALL-NEW INHUMANS, ROCKET RACCOON & GROOT, AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D. and CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS – this exciting launch issue is your first window into a new Marvel Universe! Featuring all-star talent from across the comic industry, fans won’t want to miss the kickoff to six new Marvel titles in ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT MARVEL POINT ONE #1 – on sale in October!

Here's a peek into the new Marvel Universe.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1

Writer: DAN SLOTT

Art: GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Design Variant by ALEX ROSS

Cosplay Variant by AARON RIVIN

Inhuman 50th Anniversary Variant by TBA

Sketch Variant by ALEX ROSS

Variant by MARK BAGLEY

Variant by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI

Blank Cover Also Available

Variant by J. SCOTT CAMPBELL

Variant by HUMBERTO RAMOS

Hip-Hop Variant by MIKE DEL MUNDO

Spider-Man Unlimited Game Variant by TBA

72 PGS / Rated T / $5.99

THE WORLD’S GREATEST SUPER HERO!

Spider-Man has gone global! Parker Industries is more successful than ever, with offices in New York, Shanghai, London and San Francisco and Peter Parker is racking up the frequent flyer miles with his “bodyguard” Spider-Man in tow, of course. But success breeds enemies and a reinvigorated Zodiac have also widened their scope to threaten the whole world. Join Dan Slott and Giuseppe Camuncoli as they take Spider-Man to the next level! This huge first issue also includes stories featuring Silk, Spidey 2099, Spider-Woman and much more!

How many first issues is this for the wall-crawler? I guess it doesn't matter. It's still the same ol' Spidey (except that he's rich and his chest emblem glows blue now).

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

AVENGERS #0

Writers: MARK WAID, JAMES ROBINSON, G. WILLOW WILSON, AL EWING, GERRY DUGGAN

Art: MAHMUD ASRAR, LEONARD KIRK, GERARDO SANDOVAL, KENNETH ROCAFORT,

RYAN STEGMAN, VICTOR IBANEZ

Cover by KENNETH ROCAFORT

Wraparound Variant Cover by ART ADAMS

Cosplay Variant by MICHAEL COX

Kirby Monster Variant by DAVID MARQUEZ

56 PGS / Rated T+ / $5.99

This October, Earth’s Mightiest Heroes are reforged, retooled and recharged for the All-New, All-Different Marvel Universe! But first, kickoff the all-new Avengers line of titles with AVENGERS #0 – featuring new stories setting the stage for six new ongoing series! Someone is watching, carefully studying the movements of the Avengers and those in their orbit. But are they friend, or foe?! Find out in this exciting launch issue featuring new stories of ALL-NEW, ALL-DIFFERENT AVENGERS, SQUADRON SUPREME, A-FORCE, NEW AVENGERS, ULTIMATES and UNCANNY AVENGERS. Featuring all-star talents from across the comic industry, be there for the genesis of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes for a new era in AVENGERS #0!

I consider this to be ground zero for the center of the new Marvel Universe, now that the X-Men are being pushed to the side.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

AVENGERS: NO MORE BULLYING (TPB)

Written by SEAN RYAN, JODY HOUSER, GERRY DUGGAN, BOB HARRAS, RALPH MACCHIO,

MARK WAID & JOE CARAMAGNA

Penciled by CARLO BARBERI, TANA FORD, MARCIO TAKARA, JACKSON GUICE, BRETT LEWIS,

JAVIER RODRIGUEZ, ANDREA DI VITO, WELLINGTON ALVES, RON LIM & DARIO BRIZUELA

Cover by TODD NAUCK

144 PGS / Rated T+ / $14.99

The Marvel super heroes make bullying a thing of the past! The Avengers have always stood up for those who cannot stand up for themselves, but this time they’re in for a bombastic adventure of the highest order! Plus: Swing along with Spidey and a gathering of his amazing friends as they take on this important social issue in the inimitable Mighty Marvel Manner! Featuring guest stars from across the Marvel Universe including Thor, Hercules, Daredevil and the Guardians of the Galaxy! Collecting AVENGERS: NO MORE BULLYING #1, THOR (1966) #356, AVENGERS VS. #1, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN ON BULLYING PREVENTION and material from DAREDEVIL (2011) #28.

This is a nice idea, but what are the chances of any actual bullies reading this?

AGE OF ULTRON COLORING BOOK

Penciled by BRYAN HITCH, BRANDON PETERSON, CARLOS PACHECO & MORE

Cover by BRYAN HITCH

72 PGS / All Ages / $7.99

Unleash your inner colorist on page after page of Ultron! The Avengers’ deadliest foe is back like never before — in glorious black and white! The Adamantium menace has ravaged Earth and imposed his ruthless robotic rule. Only a few of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes are left standing as they mount a desperate bid to save the day. And it’s up to you to put the hue into humanity’s last hope! The most exciting pages of Age of Ultron — featuring the incredible line art of Bryan Hitch, Brandon Peterson, Carlos Pacheco and more — are assembled here, just waiting for you to decorate with pens, pencils and crayons. Spent your life waiting for a pink Ultron or a purple Hulk? Then feel free to paint the (destroyed) town red! Just be sure to stay within the lines…or perish!

“Around the world there are several other coloring books for adults hitting the bestseller lists and with Marvel being the premier graphic storytelling medium, now is the perfect time for us to join this latest book market trend,” says David Gabriel, SVP Sales and Marketing, Marvel. “With Marvel’s Adult Coloring books, fans can add their own personal style to classic Marvel stories. This truly is a way for fans of all ages to be a part of the creative process and bring their personal artistic style to these epic Marvel events."

So dig out those crayons, markers and colored pencils and prepare to return the color to the Marvel Universe, True Believer. But don’t forget your imagination – you’re going to need it! Channel your creative energies, unwind after a hard day’s work, or just relive your childhood memories! Look for the AGE OF ULTRON COLORING book in October with the CIVIL WAR COLORING BOOK and LITTLE MARVEL BY SKOTTIE YOUNG COLORING BOOK to follow later in 2016!

I'd have killed for this when I was in elementary school.

CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #1

Writer: AL EWING

Art/Cover: PACO MEDINA

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Classic Variant by Mark Bagley

Young Variant by SKOTTIE YOUNG

Variant by LEINIL FRANCIS YU

Connecting Variant A by RON LIM

Contest of Champions Game Variant by KABAM w/GABRIEL FRIZZERA

Hip-Hop Variant by DENYS COWAN

Kirby Monster Variant by DAN BRERETON

Blank Variant available

40 PGS / Rated T / $4.99

The Secret Wars may be over, but the battle is just beginning! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your first look at CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #1 – the brand-new in-continuity ongoing series inspired by the hit mobile game! Written by Al Ewing with art by Paco Medina – enter the Battlerealm, a broken section of space-time where cosmic beings gamble for the ultimate power. Where unwilling pawns from across the Marvel Universe do battle for their very lives, locked in combat with friends, foes and everything in between. Even those long dead are not immune to the Contest. As heroes and villains from various universes are mysteriously transported to Battlerealm, the war is about to begin. To the winners go the ultimate prize – their continued existence. The same cannot be said for the losers. Who will survive….the CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS? Find out this October!

Inspired by Marvel’s wildly popular mobile fighting game, “Marvel Contest of Champions”, the comic book series, CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS, will merge the worlds of gaming and comics into an epic journey and present a story unlike anything else from Marvel. “We’re doing something unique and exciting here by merging Kabam’s highly popular mobile game with the Marvel Universe,” says series editor Mark Paniccia. “The game has really cool elements and concepts that will become part of the Marvel Comics’ mythos, resonating in Marvel continuity in a big way. We’re working closely with the folks at Kabam to expand The Battlerealm and that organically ties into the aftermath of SECRET WARS.”

And just which heroes will take on the mantle of “champions” in order to fight for their very existence in the new Marvel Universe? “We're going to have a whole bunch of Marvel's finest popping up regularly -- even the dead aren't always beyond the reach of the Contest, so expect the return of an old face or two,” says series writer Al Ewing.  “Some of the 'pawns' are there until they die, but others are beamed in, forced to fight and then returned to Earth with their memories wiped, all to add spice to the battles -- in the first issue we have contestants ranging from Iron Man, Gamora and Venom to Moon Boy and Devil Dinosaur, so anyone can have a place in the Battlerealm!”

The contest begins as champions – both heroes and villains – from various universes must compete in a cosmic battle. The ultimate prize: their continued existence. The battle begins this fall with CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #1.

I hope this is better than the original Contest of Champions, but it probably won't be. It looks like more pointless violence without repercussions.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• DOCTOR STRANGE #1

1936729360?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936729552?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936731811?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801587028?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936726353?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936730837?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936733736?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801587028?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936736117?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936738125?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: JASON AARON

Art/Cover: CHRIS BACHALO

Hip-Hop Variant by JUAN DOE

Cosplay Variant by ALLEN LEE HANSARD

Blank Variant available

Variants by KEVIN NOWLAN, TOM PALMER, JOE QUESADA

Sketch Variant by JOE QUESADA

Kirby Monster Variant by ERICA HENDERSON

40 PGS / Rated T+ / $4.99

The Sorcerer Supreme returns for his first ongoing series in nearly 20 years!  And he’s making house calls! Today, Marvel is pleased to announce DOCTOR STRANGE #1 – a new ongoing series from blockbuster creators Jason Aaron (Star Wars, Thor) and Chris Bachalo (Uncanny X-Men, Avengers)! 

Prepare for a side of the Marvel Universe you’ve never seen before as the magical, mystical and all things weird lie at every turn. And if it’s bizarre enough, and you don’t know where to turn – call the Doctor. From inside his Sanctum Sanctorum – the strangest place in this or any universe -- the Master of the Mystic Arts protects this realm from the supernatural.

“Get ready for a brand new Doctor Strange for a brand new Marvel Universe,” says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso.  “Jason Aaron and Chris Bachalo have rebuilt Marvel’s ’Sorcerer Supreme' from the ground up with an excitingly original take that redefines the character going forward.”

A dark new power is rising. One that will have repercussions for all magic users. The threat is growing, and Strange knows he won’t be powerful enough to stop it. If he is to have any kind of hope, it will take a different kind of Sorcerer Supreme. Because all magic comes with a price, and it’s high time Stephen Strange balanced the scales.

“None of Marvel's other heavy hitters walk the same beat as Dr. Strange,” says Jason Aaron in an upcoming interview with Marvel.com. “None of them have to face the same sorts of repercussions whenever they use their powers. Being the Sorcerer Supreme is a unique responsibility. And it's one that Stephen Strange embraces. Even though there's no doubt that his job is one day going to leave him dead, damned or insane. So I want to celebrate all the weirdness that is Dr. Strange, while having him face a challenge unlike anything he's ever faced before. One that rewrites the rulebook for what it means to be the Sorcerer Supreme.”

This issue also contains a bonus five-page story by Jason Aaron and industry legend Kevin Nowlan setting up major story-threads!

For more on Doctor Strange #1, check out Marvel.com tomorrow for the full interview with writer Jason Aaron!

Can't say I'm crazy about Strange wielding an axe, but I do hope he finally becomes A-list. I've always had a soft spot for him.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DOCTOR STRANGE: DON’T PAY THE FERRYMAN (TPB)

1801462220?profile=RESIZE_320x320Written by ROGER STERN & PETER B. GILLIS

Penciled by SAL BUSCEMA & CHRIS WARNER

Cover by MIKE MIGNOLA

176 PGS / Rated T / $24.99

Flames of the Faltine! Is it getting hot in here, or is it just Mephisto? When Doctor Strange joins Reed and Sue Richards in battle with the Lord of Lies, the enchanting sorceress Topaz is freed from hell. But half her soul remains in torment. Can Strange complete her — or will he fall prey first to a siren’s song? Or perhaps to a feral feline demon? With a key part of his costume clawed to pieces, Stephen’s going to need a new Cloak — but when the unholy Urthona strikes, he might need a new body, too! The old saying goes, “Don’t pay the ferryman until you get to the other side.” But before Strange can reach it, there might just be a new Sorcerer Supreme! Collecting DOCTOR STRANGE (1974) #75-81.

I don't really remember this story specifically, even though I'm certain to have the issues somewhere in the Comics Cave. But I wish I did ... it sounds interesting!

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1

1801493217?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936740136?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936740375?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936742588?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1801587028?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936742700?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936744983?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936746900?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801587028?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936747339?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936749542?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936749650?profile=RESIZE_180x1801801587028?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Art & Cover by DAVID MARQUEZ

Deadpool Party Variant/Deadpool Party Sketch Variant by YASMINE PUTRI

Variant by ADI GRANOV

Classic Variant by BRUCE TIMM

Hip-Hop Variant by BRIAN STELFREEZE

Design Variant by DAVID MARQUEZ

Young Guns Variant Set by DAVID MARQUEZ, SARA PICHELLI, MAHMUD ASRAR, NICK BRADSHAW

VALERIO SCHITI and RYAN STEGMAN

Cosplay Variant by DALE OLIVER

32 PGS. / /Rated T+ / $3.99

This Fall, the Marvel Universe is reforged and recharged as All-New, All-Different Marvel kicks off in full force! New titles, new characters, and new creators explode on to the scene as only Marvel could bring you. Leading the charge for this movement is the blockbuster new title INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 – from the explosive creative team of Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez! Today, Marvel is pleased to present your new look at the highly anticipated first issue coming to comic shops on October 7th!

Exploding out of the pages of Secret Wars comes a fresh new take on the Armored Avenger in a gigantic new series! New armor, new villains, a new supporting cast and a new purpose as Tony Stark bursts across the landscape of the Marvel Universe. And a shocker of a last page that will have the entire comic industry talking! Plus, questions will be answered – what really happened at the end of Secret Wars #8? Who are Tony Stark’s biological parents? The quest begins here!

Strap in and suit up, True Believer. The marquee comic launch of the fall is coming as Bendis and Marquez armor up to bring you a new Iron Man for a new Marvel Universe. Don’t miss the blockbuster INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 – on sale October 7th!

For more on Marvel’s Invincible Iron Man, please visit www.marvel.com. Join the conversation on Twitter with don’t forget to follow us at @Marvel [www.twitter.com/Marvel]!

If the Avengers are the center of the new Marvel U, then Tony Stark is the center of the Avengers. His new series launches this month, accompanied by something called a "Launch Party Opt-In" (press release follows).

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 LAUNCH PARTY OPT-IN

1936751894?profile=RESIZE_1024x10241936754534?profile=RESIZE_320x320Launching alongside INVINICIBLE IRON MAN #1, the first piece of the BUILD YOUR OWN IRON MAN promotional item will allow fans to assemble their very own Iron Man armor. Based on artist David Marquez’s new armor design, collect all six pieces, launching alongside Invincible Iron Man and five other October Marvel titles, fold and compile your very own Iron Man standing nearly a foot tall!

To ensure these parties are a massive sales success, each retailer opting into the event will receive exclusive INVINCIBLE IRON MAN Party promotional materials. Check your Marvel Mailer for more information on how to opt-in by 8/10 to ensure your store has these items.

“Make no mistake, INVINCIBLE IRON MAN is the flagship title for the new Marvel Universe,” says David Gabriel, Marvel SVP, Sales & Marketing. “Brian and David are exploding out of Secret Wars with an exciting new beginning for the most recognizable super hero on the planet. This one is going to be BIG and we’re backing our retail partners with access to all kinds of promotional materials, exclusive variants, cake toppers and more – everything they need to entice customers to suit up with Tony Stark!”

1936759680?profile=RESIZE_180x180All qualifying retailers who opt in will receive the following as part of the INVINCIBLE IRON MAN launch:

Invincible Iron Man Invitational Postcards

Invincible Iron Man Build Your Own Iron Man Promo Item Piece 1 of 6

Invincible Iron Man Skottie Young Lithographs

Invincible Iron Man #1 Exclusive Deadpool Sketch Party Variant by Yasmine Putri

Mass media promotion around the launch of Invincible Iron Man and the associated parties

But that’s not all! Retailers who qualify will also be eligible to order the INVINICIBLE IRON MAN #1 Deadpool Party Variant. Everyone loves Tony’s new armor – even the Merc With a Mouth! From rising star Yasmine Putri, fans won’t want to miss this exciting variant only available at the upcoming launch parties.

Strap in and suit up! Prepare for the marquee comic launch of the fall as Brian Michael Bendis and David Marquez armor up and bring you a new Iron Man for a new Marvel Universe. Don’t miss the blockbuster  INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #1 – on-sale October 7th !

THE MARVEL LEGACY OF JACK KIRBY (SLIPCASE HC)

1936656007?profile=RESIZE_1024x1024Written by JOHN RHETT THOMAS

Cover by JACK KIRBY

240 PGS / Rated T / $49.99

Trim size: landscape

Jack Kirby earned the nickname “King” over 50 plus years in comics, from co-creating Captain America to the Fantastic Four to Devil Dinosaur. In addition, Jack’s explosive layouts, high drama and fantastic imagination helped evolve the art form in ways few others can claim. Now, the House of Ideas explores that work in THE MARVEL LEGACY OF JACK KIRBY HC. In essays and commentary, this deluxe, oversized volume reviews the comics, the influence and the times of Kirby, and puts a special focus on the month that changed everything, November 1961. Don’t ask — just buy!!!

Fully deserved, and it's about time. Marvel has always kinda shied away from honoring The King, but I guess now that the lawsuits are all settled, they're willing to embrace him and his legacy.

MARVEL SUPER HERO CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS VOL 1 (TPB)

1936759839?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: STEVEN GRANT, MARK GRUENWALD & BILL MANTLO

Art/Cover: JOHN ROMITA JR.

88 PGS / Rated T / $7.99

• The Grandmaster enters a cosmic wager with Death herself, using Earth’s mightiest heroes as his chess pieces!

• His goal? To return his fellow Elder of the Universe, the Collector, to life!

• The stakes? Nothing less than the fate of the Earth itself!

• Now, heroes from around the globe must battle it out in a contest like none ever seen before.

• Marvel’s historic first miniseries is re-released in a single volume, packed with extras!

• Guest-starring…everyone! (Everyone circa 1982, that is.)

• Collecting MARVEL SUPER HERO CONTEST OF CHAMPIONS #1-3.

IIRC, this was pretty weak material. I assume it's being collected in support of the new Contest of Champions series.

MARVEL SUPER HERO SPECTACULAR #1

1936761111?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: KARL KESEL

Art: DAVID BALDEON

Cover by TODD NAUCK

32 PGS / One-Shot / All Ages / $3.99

A SUPER HERO EXTRAVAGANZA THE LIKES OF WHICH THE WORLD HAS NEVER SEEN!

• Get a front row seat to the hottest ticket in town as we unveil Saturnalia and the Interstellar Circus Spectacular!

• But there’s more to these three rings than meets the EYE!

• Featuring a wild array of new characters and some of Marvel’s all-time most popular super heroes including the Avengers, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and Spider-Man!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

Evidently this book is just part of a big marketing push. Here's the "Marvel Super Hero Spectacular" press release:

‘Marvel Super Hero Spectacular’ TAKES OVER Retail WITH NATIONAL CELEBRATION and NEW MERCHANDISE

Super-Sized Multi-Platform Campaign to Debut with Tie-ins across Television, Home Entertainment, Digital, Publishing, and Merchandise Beginning September 25

‘Spectacular’ also celebrates the much-anticipated retail launch of

Playmation Marvel’s Avengers on October 4

Following the success of last year’s ‘Marvel Super Hero September’ campaign, Disney Consumer Products is kicking-off the second annual celebration on September 25 with five weeks of adrenaline-filled product offerings and activities for fans – including the launches of “Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron” on DVD and Blu-ray, and the much buzzed-about Playmation Marvel’s Avengers. This year’s campaign features a supercharged lineup of partners including Walmart, Target, Toys R Us and Party City, as well as Disney Store locations and DisneyStore.com, all of which will create programs designed to help fans celebrate their passion for all things Marvel.

1936762987?profile=RESIZE_180x180Fans can expect to see a whole new lineup of products across a range of categories, including: Spider-Man Color Shock Slingers to complement the popular Avengers role play items all from Hasbro, new LEGO Spider-Man construction sets, the hot holiday toy favorite – Marvel RC Hulk Smash from JAKKS Pacific, a new Black Widow young adult novel authored by #1 The New York Times best-selling author Margaret Stohl, a personalized Marvel’s Avengers: Black Ops Field Guide by Sourcebooks, and the first introduction of Marvel characters as part of the Disney Store’s Tsum Tsum line of collectible plush. For mobile Marvel fans, all-new characters including Ultimate Spider-Man, Red Hulk, and Hulkbuster, along with 18 new levels of play will be available in “Mix+Smash: Marvel Super Hero Mashers,” the hit app inspired by Hasbro’s popular customizable, mix-and-mash figure line – Marvel Super Hero Mashers. Additionally, October 4 sees the national launch of Playmation Marvel’s Avengers, the ground-breaking system of connected toys and wearables, from Hasbro.

1936764455?profile=RESIZE_180x180‘Marvel Super Hero Spectacular’ will extend well beyond core toys, books and consumer electronics. For collectors, Funko’s Marvel Collector Corps villains-themed subscription box will be sent out in October. Diamond will debut a Marvel Animated Minimates Two-Pack Series at Walgreens and a Dr. Strange Marvel Select Figure at specialty stores.  Fans of all ages will be able to showcase their Marvel pride with new athletic footwear available at Payless and professional scooters from Madd Gear. Just in time for Halloween, new costumes from Rubie’s, Disney Store, and Party City will debut allowing kids and adults to transform into their favorite Marvel Super Heroes. In supermarket aisles, fans will be treated with new Avengers and Spider-Man string cheese from Schreiber Cheese, Marvel granola bars from Conagra Foods, as well as other healthy snack options. Fans will be able to show their Marvel pride at home as well with new bedding for adults from Jay Franco available at ThinkGeek in October. And finally, Marvel Comics will publish a special one shot ‘Marvel Super Hero Spectacular’ comic to be sold throughout the celebration.

1936764603?profile=RESIZE_180x180At Disney Store locations, on every Sunday from September 27 – October 25, kids ages 3 and up are invited to take part in one of four Marvel events, including: Art of Drawing: Captain America Shield, Art of Drawing: Spider-Man, Spider-Man Story Time and the NEW Avengers Training Academy. Times vary by location; guests should contact their local Disney Store for more details.

‘Marvel Super Hero Spectacular’ is taking over MarvelKids.com throughout the celebration to encourage kids and families to “activate the super in you” across key areas of Be Healthy, Be Active, Be Creative and Be Responsible. Marvel’s online and social channels are joining the fun as well with fan activations including giveaways across Marvel.com and Marvel’s social channels, including @StyledbyMarvel on Instagram. The entire campaign will be leveraged on social media using the hashtag #MarvelSpectacular.

1936766605?profile=RESIZE_180x180To support the campaign, Marvel will execute a robust advertising and marketing program including a 30-second ‘Marvel Super Hero Spectacular’ commercial airing on Disney Channel, Disney XD, and Disney Store media walls. Disney XD will add more attention to the campaign by running special bumpers during its programming. There will also be ‘Marvel Super Hero Spectacular’ callouts during national Hasbro and Party City TV commercials running throughout the campaign period and in-theater ads as part of Hasbro’s Playmation spots.

The ‘Marvel Super Hero Spectacular’ celebration coincides with the launch of several Marvel TV series and DVD releases including: season three of Marvel’s Agents of SH.I.E.L.D on ABC (September 29), Marvel’s Avengers: Age of Ultron on DVD and Blu-ray release (October 2), and the launch of the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise site on MarvelKids.com.

On Disney XD, Marvel Super Hero Spectacular will bring exciting, all-new action-packed programming including the September 26 (9:30 p.m., ET/PT) premiere of the highly anticipated epic space adventure "Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy." In October, "Marvel's Ultimate Spider-Man: Web-Warriors" will feature a "Contest of Champions" four-episode story arc following Spider-Man, The Avengers and The Agents of S.M.A.S.H. as they battle their greatest villains for the fate of the planet. Beginning September 25, fans can also visit DisneyXD.com/Marvel to play "Marvel Fantasy Super Heroes,” a fantasy sport-like experience that invites players to assemble a team of super heroes and go head-to-head in a weekly battle arena.

“Marvel Super Hero Spectacular is a testament to the excitement for the Marvel brand and our aspirational characters,” said Paul Gitter, senior vice president of licensing for Marvel at Disney Consumer Products. “We have worked closely with our licensees and retailers to develop this campaign and create an even more spectacular experience than last year.”

Those looking for Marvel comic books, graphic novels, and other related merchandise, can go to comicshoplocator.com. For Marvel Super Hero Spectacular offerings, visit your local mass and specialty retailers, as well as Disney Store locations and Disneystore.com.

MARVEL UNIVERSE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1

1936712798?profile=RESIZE_180x180Adapted by JOE CARAMAGNA

Variant cover by MICHAEL RYAN

32 PGS / All Ages / $2.99

THE GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY RETURN IN THEIR NEW ON-GOING SERIES!

• Star-Lord! Rocket! Groot! Gamora! Drax!

• Join your favorite galactic guardians at the start of their new adventures!

This joins the other "Marvel Universe" books that adapt the cartoons and are aimed at kids.

SECRET WARS #6 (OF 8)1936768691?profile=RESIZE_320x320

Writer: JONATHAN HICKMAN

Art: ESAD RIBIC

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Connecting Variant by SIMONE BIANCHI

Variant by ESAD RIBIC

Variant by BABS TARR

Classic Variant by TBD

40 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

THE FINAL WAR!

Hard to believe there's still three more issues of this to go, when the new Marvel Universe is beginning its debut this week!

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

• S.H.I.E.L.D.: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION OMNIBUS (HC)

1936666778?profile=RESIZE_320x320Written by STAN LEE, STERANKO, GARY FRIEDRICH with JACK KIRBY, ROY THOMAS, DENNIS O’NEIL, ARCHIE GOODWIN,

STEVE PARKHOUSE & JIM STARLIN

Penciled by JACK KIRBY, STERANKO, FRANK SPRINGER & HERB TRIMPE with JOHN SEVERIN, DON HECK, BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH, HOWARD CHAYKIN, SAL BUSCEMA, JOE SINNOTT, DICK AYERS, HOWARD PURCELL & OGDEN WHITNEY

Cover by ALEX ROSS

Variant by JIM STERANKO (DM only)

We are proud to present, in a single complete volume, one of the Marvel’s most-innovative series—S.H.I.E.L.D.! With international threats on the rise, Tony Stark and a council of global powers tapped Nick Fury to protect the us from Hydra, A.I.M., Baron Strucker and the Yellow Claw. The greatest team in comics, Stan Lee & Jack Kirby, dove into the world of covert ops, mixing Cold War drama with the mighty Marvel manner. They set the tone, but when Steranko took over, he rewrote the entire rulebook. Steranko turned S.H.I.E.L.D. into one of the most visually innovative comic books ever published and every issue, every story is presented in oversized glory! You’ve been granted Priority A-1 access, so reserve your copy today! Collecting STRANGE TALES (1951) 135-168, NICK FURY, AGENT OF S.H.I.E.L.D. (1968) 1-15, FANTASTIC FOUR (1961) 21, TALES OF SUSPENSE (1959) 78, AVENGERS (1963) 72, MARVEL SPOTLIGHT (1971) 31 and material from NOT BRAND ECHH (1967) #3, 8 & 11

960 PGS./All Ages …$99.99

ISBN: 978-0-7851-9852-9

Trim size: oversized

If I didn't already have all of these issues in various formats, this is how I'd collect 'em. One order, and you got 'em all. And they're worth getting, especially the Steranko issues.

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT OMNIBUS (HC)

1936643625?profile=RESIZE_320x320Written by GERRY CONWAY, LEN WEIN, MARV WOLFMAN, MIKE FRIEDRICH, DOUG MOENCH, TONY ISABELLA & BILL MANTLO

Penciled by MIKE PLOOG, WERNER ROTH, TOM SUTTON, GIL KANE, DON PERLIN, ROSS ANDRU, GENE COLAN, VIRGILIO REDONDO, YONG MONTANO & FRANK ROBBINS

Cover by MIKE PLOOG

Variant by TBA (DM only)

1176 PGS / Rated T+ / $125.00

He’s Jack Russell by day, but he’s the Werewolf By Night! On his 18th birthday, Jack discovers that he has inherited his father’s curse — and that’s when things really get hairy! Can he save his sister from sharing his fate? Discover how Jack became one of Marvel’s supernatural stars of the seventies in these classic adventures, serving up everything from witches to aliens to Dracula himself! But which horrifying heroes will join Jack in the Legion of Monsters? Whether he’s teaming up with Spider-Man, eclipsing Moon Knight, or fighting like cats and dogs with Tigra, Jack is one lycanthrope you’re guaranteed to like! Collecting MARVEL SPOTLIGHT (1971) #2-4, WEREWOLF BY NIGHT (1972) #1-43, MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #12, TOMB OF DRACULA (1972) #18, GIANT-SIZE CREATURES #1, GIANT-SIZE WEREWOLF #2-5, MARVEL PREMIERE #28 and material from MONSTERS UNLEASHED #6-7.

Trim size: oversized

This book was pretty lame whenever Mike Ploog wasn't doing the art, but again I'd recommend this omnibus if you were wanting to read them all.

WHAT IF? INFINITY

If you thought the blockbuster INFINITY event turned the Marvel Universe on its head, you won’t believe what could have happened! Those questions and more will be answered in WHAT IF? INFINITY – a brand-new 5-issue limited series coming in October! Rising star writer Joshua Williamson (Secret Wars: Battleworld, Illuminati) and an assembly of today’s hottest artists – Mike Henderson, Riley Rossmo, Mike Norton, Jason Copland, Goran Suduzka show you just how 2013’s chartbusting INFINITY event could have gone down!

Each issue of WHAT IF? INFINITY explores a twisted take on the Marvel Universe where the Builder War had gone differently. What if Thanos had joined the Avengers to battle back the invading Builders? What if the Avengers lost the war, leaving the Earth vulnerable? What if Norman Osborn gained control of the Infinity Gauntlet, ushering in a new Dark Reign?

Was INFINITY truly the Avengers darkest hour? Find out this October as Williamson and company throw out the rulebook in WHAT IF? INFINITY!

For more information, visit Marvel.com for a full interview with WHAT IF? INFINITY writer Joshua Williamson.

I'm unlikely to get these -- I found the "What If? Age of Ultron" issues to be pretty weak tea -- but I'm posting them as a heads up for those who are interested. It looks like there will be one new issue each of the next three weeks, with five in all.

1936727240?profile=RESIZE_320x3201936727376?profile=RESIZE_320x3201801587028?profile=RESIZE_180x180WHAT IF? INFINITY – INHUMANS #1

Written by JOSH WILLIAMSON

Art by RILEY ROSSMO

Cover by CHRISTIAN WARD

32 PGS / ONE SHOT / Rated T+ / $3.99

What if the INHUMANS took over Earth?

BLACK BOLT is the new supreme ruler of Earth, but what happened to Earth’s Mightiest Heroes?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

WHAT IF? INFINITY – THANOS #1

Written by JOSH WILLIAMSON

Art by MIKE HENDERSON

Cover by TOM WHALEN

Variant Cover by KRIS ANKA

32 PGS / ONE SHOT / Rated T+ / $3.99

What if Thanos joined the Avengers?

Thanos made a deal with the Avengers to use his army to protect Earth from the invading forces, but it came with a cost …

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

OTHER PUBLISHERS

ALIENS / VAMPIRELLA #2 (OF 6)

AliensVampi02CovAHardman.jpg?width=250Writer: CORINNA BECHKO

Art: JAVIER GARCIA-MIRANDA

Cover: GABRIEL HARDMAN

$3.99 / Teen+ / 32 pages

ON SALE DATE: October 7

With the Xenomorphs awakened, the Martian base is in mortal danger. But can Vampirella win the trust of her human companions in time to launch a counter attack?

As in Walking Dead, it looks like our hero(ine) has to worry as much about humans as she does the monsters. We really do suck as a species, don't we?

BARRACUDA VOL 4: REVOLTS (GN)

STK681042.jpg?width=250Publisher: CINEBOOK

Writer: JEAN DUFAUX

Art/Cover: JEREMY

$15.95

Resistance to the Spanish invader begins. It's chaos in Puerto Blanco. Raffy, caught red-handed with Ferrango's wife Maria, is about to be thrown into a shark tank; the governor is toppled by a coup - and the Spanish occupy the city after bombarding it. Amid the blood and fire, alliances are formed and broken, betrayal follows betrayal, and the flame of resistance is kindled. Will love and friendship prove stronger than fanaticism and the thirst for power?

I don't know anything about this except that it's European, and the cover is cool. Really, that's all it takes to get me to post something. I'm so easy.

BLOODSHOT REBORN #7

1801516676?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936727448?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936729632?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936732165?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936732413?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936734614?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written by JEFF LEMIRE

Art by BUTCH GUICE

Cover A by MICO SUAYAN

Cover B by GLENN FABRY

Cover C by TREVOR HAIRSINE

Variant Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

Variant Cover by KANO

$3.99 US | 32 pgs. | T+ | On sale OCTOBER 7

"THE HUNT" is on!

As responsible as Ray Garrison feels for the violence unleashed by his old nanites, he finds himself with another more familiar and painful responsibility – the life of a woman he loves. How will Ray keep Magic safe, avoid the federal manhunt that’s closing in on him, and stop his impostor before they kill again?!

Be here as the next pulse-pounding story arc from New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire (All-New Hawkeye) and comics legend Butch Guice (The Winter Soldier) brings us one step closer to identifying the mysterious killer trying to claim all of Bloodshot's power!

Here's a jumping-on point, if you're not following Bloodshot already. And is he shacking up with the Geomancer now? Wow, let's hope, for his sake, that they never break up. An angry Geomancer could be the worst ex-girlfriend from hell in history!

And, needless to say, Cover D up there is an homage to the painting "American Gothic."

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

COMPLETE ADVENTURES OF CHOLLY & FLYTRAP (HC)

STK643237.jpg?width=250Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: ARTHUR SUYDAM

$29.99

SURVIVALISTS, BATTLEFIELD ENTREPRENEURS AND ALL-ROUND ANTI-HEROES!

Spawned by legendary artist and writer Arthur Suydam - blockbuster cover illustrator on Marvel Zombies - Cholly & Flytrap are survivors on a distant planet, barely held together with catgut and scar tissue, Cholly's always there with a snappy one-liner and quick-draw machine-gun fire. Flytrap is silent as the grave, built like a brick privy and graceful as a charging rhino. Collected for the first time ever, this volume contains all of Cholly & Flytrap's tales of derring-do, grievous bodily harm and giant bat riding!

if all you've ever heard about Suydam is what a d*ck he is to his fellow creators at conventions, here's some material to give you an idea why he keeps getting invited to conventions.

EC COMICS LIBRARY: KAMEN FORTY WHACKS & OTHER STORIES (HC)

STK681169.jpg?width=250Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writers: AL FELDSTEIN, WILLIAM M GAINES

Art/Cover: JACK KAMEN

Jack Kamen's precise, clean style was perfect for tales of men and women who act on the base instincts behind their glamorous façades. Enter the twisted world of Kamen's crime capers with stories like "Forty Whacks", "Contract for Death", "The Neat Job!", "Just Desserts!" plus 20 more tales of tension as only EC could do them! Like every book in the Fantagraphics EC Artists' Library, Forty Whacks and Other Stories also features essays and notes by EC experts on these superbly crafted, classic masterpieces.

I don't collect this series -- I'm getting Dark Horse's comprehensive reprints -- but these sure look nice.

FROM HELL AND ITS COMPANION (Slipcase Edition)

STK681252.jpg?width=250Writer: ALAN MOORE

Art/Cover: EDDIE CAMPBELL

TPB/slipcase • BW • $49.99 • 860 pages

Shrinkwrapped slipcase of two softcovers (572 + 288 pages), 7 5/8” x 10” x 2.25”

A quarter-century after its first chapter appeared in Taboo magazine, From Hell is universally acclaimed as a landmark in the field of graphic novels. This sprawling epic of Victorian murder and human darkness, created by British comics legends Alan Moore and Eddie Campbell, has racked up international awards, landed on bestseller lists, and spawned a Hollywood film.

Now, Top Shelf presents From Hell together with its indispensable From Hell Companion in a gorgeous new slipcase set! Get a jump on your holiday shopping with this September release and introduce a friend to a timeless masterpiece. Pre-order today!

English authorities believe they have finally solved the mystery of Jack the Ripper's identity -- and it's not who Alan Moore thought it was when he wrote this book. But even though From Hell needs to be shelved under "Fantasy" instead of "History" now, it's pretty heady stuff and I'll probably buy this to replace my worn-out copy.

P.S. As usual, the Moore GN is a lot better than the movie of the same name.

• GRUMPY CAT #1

1936728064?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936730168?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936730362?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936732165?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936732447?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936735319?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936735382?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936732165?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936735462?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: BEN MCCOOL, ROYAL MCGRAW, ELLIOTT SERRANO, BEN FISHER

Art: STEVE UY, KEN HAESER

Cover A: STEVE UY

Cover B: KEN HAESER

Cover C: TAVIS MAIDEN

Cover D: AGNES GARBOWSKA

Cover E: STEVE UY "Art & Photo"

Cover F Create-Your-Own-Meme: N/A

Cover G Blank Authentix: N/A

$3.99 / All Ages / 32 pages

Dynamite proudly presents The Misadventures of Grumpy Cat #1, featuring "The World's Grumpiest Cat" and her brother, Pokey! With her ever-present pout and sassy disposition, Grumpy Cat has won the hearts of people everywhere. Grumpy Cat is the perfect combination of unbearable cuteness, instant fan appeal, and established multimedia presence. If you love the memes, the videos, and that irresistible scowl, then get ready for the wildly fun antics of Grumpy Cat and Pokey in Dynamite's all-new, all-sensational Grumpy Cat comics!

Grumpy Cat's global following includes 7.6 million Facebook fans and over 31 million YouTube views. Since her photos first went viral in 2012, Grumpy Cat has gone from Internet star to real-life celebrity. She has two New York Time Best Selling Books, her own Lifetime movie Grumpy Cat's Worst Christmas Ever (voiced by actress Aubrey Plaza), has made numerous appearances including the MTV Movie Awards, American Idol, The Bachelorette, The Today Show, SXSW, Good Morning America, and even hosted WWE Monday Night Raw. Grumpy Cat is Friskies official "Spokescat", has filmed videos with Disney and Sesame Street, and appears in commercials for McDonald's and Honey Nut Cheerios.

The "Create-Your-Own-Meme" Edition - available only as a variant for the first issue of Grumpy Cat #1 - features the same great story, but with a unique cover with space for you to create your own meme... allowing you to make Grumpy Cat as much of a curmudgeon as you desire!

I think it's a pretty safe bet that I will never, ever read an issue of this. But apparently it's a thing now, so for all you Grumpy Cat lovers, here's a heads up about the first issue. And Dynamite's proud enough of it that here's a second press release:

DYNAMITE PROUDLY ANNOUNCES THE FULL CREATIVE TEAM
    FOR OCTOBER'S GRUMPY CAT #1, UNVEILS COVER ARTWORK

Dynamite Entertainment, following the wave of excitement generated from the May announcement of their upcoming Grumpy Cat comic book series, is pleased to announce the complete creative team for the upcoming first issue, scheduled for release in October. The series writers include Ben Fisher (Smuggling Spirits), Ben McCool (Captain America and the Korvac Saga), Royal McGraw (Detective Comics), and Elliott R. Serrano (Army of Darkness). The interior artists will be Ken Haeser (The Living Corpse) and Steve Uy (Avengers: The Initiative), who also contribute cover artwork alongside Rebekie Bennington (Doodle Jump), Agnes Garbowska (My Little Pony), and Tavis Maiden (The Konamis). Dynamite will also offer two special cover variants: a Blank Authentix edition, perfect for fans with artistic talent to personalize; and the first-ever "Create-Your-Own-Meme" edition that provide Grumpy Cat lovers an outlet for their own curmudgeonly witticisms.

Each of the contributing writers and artists has chimed in with their enthusiasm for the project:

Rebekie Bennington, artist: "When I first got the message about doing some art for Grumpy Cat, I didn't know if I could handle the pressure of being judged by the grumpiest cat on the internet... but then I realized that my own general grumpiness made me a perfect fit!"

Ben Fisher, writer: "Grumpy Cat has managed to transcend from meme to globally recognized personality with astonishing speed. Nearly anyone with Internet access knows that face, across all ages and nationalities. It's a huge honor to be given the opportunity to participate in her entrance into a new medium. Comic books are a natural fit for Grumpy Cat, along with her supporting cast of friends and family. I'm having a blast writing these great characters and developing their world. Also, Dynamite promised that if the books do well, they'll let me pitch the Chocolate Rain graphic novel."

Agnes Garbowska, artist: "I'm working on Grumpy Cat! I am so honoured that I can take part in capturing Grumpy Cat herself in comic book form. Currently, I am working on the covers for the comics. I wrapped up a cover for issue #1 and am working on a cover for the next issue. I am super excited to be a part of the Grumpy Cat team!"

Ken Haeser, artist: "I jumped at the chance to work on Grumpy Cat when Dynamite told me they were putting out a comic. How often do you get to work on something that is so universally known? Everyone knows Grumpy Cat! And hopefully it'll bring in a lot of non-comic readers to check it out. All I know is that it is going to be a lot of fun!"

Tavis Maiden, artist: "This is literally the first thing I've worked on that my kids think is cool. When I was tasked with capturing Grumpy Cat's likeness and personality for the covers, I was met with grueling deadlines, harsh criticism, and sweeping revisions... er, I mean, praise be to our Fluffy Overlord, may we never be good enough for her."

Ben McCool, writer: "Like millions worldwide, I've had countless chuckles over the past few years thanks to Grumpy Cat. I was lucky enough to attend the miserable moggy's official birthday party last year, and didn't think I could possibly trump it in terms of cat-related coolness. Little did I know I'd find myself in a position to write stories about Grumpy (along with Pokey, her eternally optimistic, happy-go-lucky brother -- shenanigans aplenty are an absolute guarantee)! I'm delighted to be part of such an exciting, fun-filled project, and can't wait for you all to read the madcap misadventures of Grumpy Cat."

Royal McGraw, writer: "Life isn't always roses. Sometimes it's the stuff you use to fertilize roses. Grumpy Cat has become an internet sensation because she's not afraid to voice the grumpy truth... and look adorable doing it. Personally, I'm thrilled to help Dynamite Entertainment bring Grumpy Cat to a brand new medium!"

Elliott R. Serrano, writer: "I'm really excited to be a member of Team Grumpy Cat! Ever since she gained fame on the 'internetz', Grumpy Cat was destined to join the pantheon of animal personalities that have captured our imagination. Grumpy Cat gets to say the things that we all think, yet are too polite to say. When writing Grumpy Cat, I had to get in touch with that part of myself that's not afraid to point out that while the cloud may have a silver lining, it's still raining. Let's face it, the reason we all love Grumpy Cat is because we each have a little Grumpy Cat inside of us."

Steve Uy, artist: "Cat memes have become a part of American culture, and there doesn't seem to be anything stopping it. One day, when it overcomes hot dogs and baseball, I'll be able to tell my grandchildren that I was a part of the very first cat meme book with Grumpy Cat, and they will look upon me with awe and respect, and shower me with more love than I need. That is why I'm a part of this book."

HEROES REBORN #1

1936737285?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936739502?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936741084?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936733300?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writers: SEAMUS FAHEY & ZACH CRALEY

Artist: RUBINE

Cover By: PAUL POPE

32 pages / $3.99

Fresh from the brand new Heroes Reborn television series, the Heroes comic will delve into the secrets of the characters. Each five-part story arc will spotlight a different character, exploring secrets behind what makes them tick.

I'm thrilled to exclusively reveal that fans of Heroes will be able to get their first taste of the upcoming new comic series from Titan Comics with a special SDCC ashcan, which comes with a cover by New York Times bestselling and Eisner Award winning artist, Paul Pope (Battling Boy)!

The comic series -- based on NBC’s upcoming event series Heroes Reborn premiering this fall - hits stores October 2015 and begins with a sensational five-story arc featuring the origins of one of the series’ new main characters. The comic series will be written by Heroes Reborn Supervising Producer Seamus Fahey and Zach Craley and illustrated by Rubine.

The Heroes SDCC ashcan provides an exciting introduction to the new show plus amazing previews of Titan's Heroes comic and magazine! The Ashcan features 6 black and white preview pages from the first issue of the comic. There is also a 6-page preview feature from the magazine with Titan's access-all-areas set report – including an exclusive interview with show creator Tim Kring. All this, plus cover art by Paul Pope!

Heroes Reborn Supervising Producer Seamus Fahey will give fans a sneak peek at the new Heroes comic series at the Titan Comics panel on Thursday July 9 at 2:30PM (Room 4) and will be signing copies of this special ashcan on Friday July 10 at 12:00PM at the Titan Booth #5537.

To keep up to date with news about Titan Comics at SDCC follow Titan Comics on Twitter at @ComicsTitan or join Titan Comics at Facebook.

I was unmoved by the TV series debut, and probably won't follow it. Which means I probably won't follow the comic book series either. But if you were moved, here ya go.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

IMPERIUM #9

1936743204?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936745129?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936747201?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936749406?profile=RESIZE_180x180On Sale OCTOBER 7

Written by JOSHUA DYSART

Art by CAFU

Cover A by KANO

Cover B by GIUSEPPE CAMUNCOLI

Variant Cover by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

$3.99 | 32 pgs. | T+

NEW ARC! "THE VINE IMPERATIVE" – PART 1

In 1968 … Earth's most powerful man brokered peace with a secret alien faction. This October … their peace will erupt into war!

Valiant is proud to present an advance preview of IMPERIUM #9 – the FIRST ISSUE of "THE VINE IMPERATIVE", an all-new story arc from New York Times best-selling writer Joshua Dysart (HARBINGER, HARBINGER WARS) and red-hot rising star CAFU (UNITY)! Start reading here on October 7th with a perfect new jumping-on point as Toyo Harada’s war to save humanity collides with the only enemy that this planet cannot contain … a sinister network of undercover alien spies!

A deadly chess game between Harada and the alien visitors called the Vine has been unfolding for decades. The Vine plantings, the secret alien agents of a galaxy-spanning race, now hold positions of influence all over the planet. Toyo Harada, Earth’s most powerful psiot, has amassed a bedrock of power through his corporate, political, and super-powered maneuverings. A tense standoff has long held between these two slumbering giants and each was content to bend the world to their will without the other interfering … until now.

Now, openly hunted by the governments of the world, Harada's campaign of world domination continues from his East African stronghold, the Foundation Zone. Soon, the Vine agents who have watched him for decades will move to keep his machinations in check, and, if Harada wants to rule the world…he’ll have to get rid of the competition first!

"The relationship between the Vine plantings and Harada has always been something I was interested in, and it's never really been touched on," writer Joshua Dysart told Newsarama. "Harada and a powerful Vine planting would've surely met early in Harada's rise to power, and that meeting would've been pretty explosive, since both would've have seen the other as a threat. With the backstory of LV-99 (a Vine-designed sentient biological weapon now in service to Harada) hovering over the book, I thought it was a good time to tell that story."

Cold war turns red hot on October 7th as the acclaimed writer of HARBINGER and the artist of UNITY team-up for a fraught confrontation between two secret armies…and two different worlds! Jump on the board the series that Bloody Disgusting calls “the height of sophisticated comic book stories” here as Toyo Harada and a clandestine alien network collide in "THE VINE IMPERATIVE", beginning in IMPERIUM #9 – featuring covers by Kano (BOOK OF DEATH: THE FALL OF HARBINGER), Giuseppe Camuncoli (Amazing Spider-Man), and Juan José Ryp (NINJAK)!

Here's another press release, touting another Valiant jumping-on point.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

JUGHEAD #1

1936749376?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936749615?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936751542?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936753547?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936753707?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936753726?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936753820?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936753917?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936755794?profile=RESIZE_180x180Script: CHIP ZDARSKY

Art: ERICA HENDERSON

CVR A Reg Cover: ERICA HENDERSON

CVR B Variant: ANTON EMDIN

CVR C Variant: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

CVR D Variant: ROBERT HACK

CVR E Variant: RAMON K. PEREZ

CVR F Variant: CHIP ZDARSKY

On Sale Date: 10/7

32-page, full color comic, $3.99 U.S.

Hamburgers and a crown made of paper. The mysterious “S” shirt and a dog named Hot Dog. Did we mention Hamburgers? All of these things are synonymous with the greatest comic book character of all time: Jughead! This October, Archie Comics is launching a new ongoing JUGHEAD series by the unbeatable team of Chip Zdarsky and Erica Henderson!

Featuring the adventures of Archie’s hamburger-loving best friend, the new series will debut with an all new #1 issue from two of the comic book industry’s brightest stars. Zdarsky, known for his work on the hit Image series Sex Criminals, will bring his unique brand of comedy to comics’ biggest jokester.

“Jughead is the one character that I totally attempted to emulate when I was younger,” said Zdarsky. “Cool without being cool, voracious appetite, a slacker who doesn't always live up to his potential.”

Joining Zdarsky on JUGHEAD will be Erica Henderson, best known for her work on Marvel’s Unbeatable Squirrel Girl, whose emotive artistic style and knack for capturing characters in their silliest moments perfectly suits the gluttonous teenager.

The new series will run alongside the upcoming ARCHIE series, launching on July 8, by Mark Waid and Fiona Staples, telling off-the-wall and hilarious stories in the new and revamped Riverdale.

On getting inside of Jughead’s head, Zdarsky said, “He has moments where he shines and then goes back to being cool and zen. I love Jughead. He's the teen who's comfortable with himself, which is such rare, weird thing.”

Sooooo looking forward to this!

OYSTER WAR

STK675146.jpg?width=250Oni Press, Portland’s premier independent comic book publisher, announced Oyster War, a colorful, comedic historical graphic novel by three time Eisner-nominated cartoonist Ben Towle (Amelia Earhart: This Broad Ocean). Oyster War will release on September 23rd, and will be an SPX debut.

In the coastal town of Blood's Haven, the economy runs on oysters. Oyster farming is one of the most lucrative professions, but also the most dangerous. Not just from the unforgiving ocean and its watery depths—there are also oyster pirates to worry about! Commander Davidson Bulloch and his motley crew are tasked with capturing these ne'er-do-wells—but they don't know that Treacher Fink, the pirates' leader, possesses a magical artifact that can call forth a legendary spirit with the power to control the sea and everything in it!

“I started work on Oyster War five years ago with a very specific vision,” says creator Ben Towle. “I'd done several historical fiction books previously and now I wanted to jump squarely into the realm of the fantastic. Oyster War is a nautical adventure story set in a not-quite-real late 19th century US that's full of pirates, brawlers, sea serpents, and shape-shifters. It's far and away my favorite work to-date. I couldn't be happier with the way Oni's bringing the Oyster War print collection to life. Presentation was always in the back of my mind as I worked on the story. From the get-go I conceived of Oyster War as a big, hardcover, European album-sized book with high-end production values—and that's exactly what's going to wind up in readers' hands!”

This press release is all I know about this Oni debut.

ROWANS RUIN #1

STK685108.jpg?width=150Publisher: BOOM! STUDIOS

Writer: MIKE CAREY

Art/Cover: MIKE PERKINS

$3.99

What's to Love: The team of Mike Carey (Suicide Risk, The Unwritten) and Mike Perkins (Deathlok) come together for the first time since 2005's Spellbinders for a taut horror thriller set in their native England. If you're a fan of horror films like Insidious and The Conjuring, or comics like Curse and Nailbiter, you'll love how Rowans Ruin unfolds as it slowly clues you in on the terrifying secret that is at the heart of the story.

What It's About: Katie has always had things pretty easy, growing up in comfortable circumstances in Florida. But when she finds herself with a long summer break before grad school, she decides to do a house-swap with a British girl, Emily, as a way to vacation relatively cheaply-and to get out from under her parents' attentiveness. England is great, so different from Florida, and the house, called Rowans Rise, is charming. But soon she starts having nightmares-really, really, strong ones. Curious, Katie researches the owners of the house, and discovers it may have more of a sinister history than she thought...

Here's what Mike Carey's up to, in case you were curious.

THE STORY OF MY TITS

STK681265.jpg?width=250Writer/Art/Cover: JENNIFER HAYDEN

TPB • BW • $29.99 • 352 pages

When Jennifer Hayden was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 43, she realized that her tits told a story. Across a lifetime, they’d held so many meanings: hope and fear, pride and embarrassment, life and death. And then they were gone. Now, their story has become a way of understanding her story. Growing up flat-chested and highly aware of her inadequacies … heading off to college, where she “bloomed” in more ways than one … navigating adulthood between her mother’s mastectomy, her father’s mistress and her musician boyfriend’s problems of his own -- not to mention his sprawling family. Then the kids come along. … As cancer strikes three different lives, some relationships crumble while others emerge even stronger, and this sarcastic child of the ‘70s finally finds a goddess she can believe in.

For everyone who’s faced cancer personally, or watched a loved one fight that battle, Hayden’s story is a much-needed breath of fresh air, an irresistible blend of sweetness and skepticism. Rich with both symbolism & humor, The Story of My Tits will leave you laughing, weeping, and feeling grateful for every day.

A landmark work of graphic memoir and a cancer narrative that pulls no punches.

"Heartbreaking and riveting, Jennifer Hayden's caustic, sarcastic wit streams through her quirky drawings, unfolding a survivor's tale and so much more. The Story of My Tits takes us from her flat-chested adolescence to small-boobed acceptance, then loss - until the dramatic reconstruction of Jennifer herself." — Marisa Acocella Marchetto, author of Cancer Vixen and Ann Tenna

"Hayden's work reminds me of why I began drawing comics, and why I continue... comforting, straightforward and strongly connected to life." — Gabrielle Bell, author of Lucky and Cecil & Jordan in New York

"Hayden's cheerful profanity and scratchy lines give the work a homey, intimate feel." — Publishers Weekly

"The central character is the author herself, and she's a joy... seriously fun, alive, and inspiring — as an artist, a writer, a woman, and a human being." — Under the Radar

No, this isn't remotely porn, despite the provocative title. And while I usually shy away from autobiographical graphic novels, this seems like a story worth telling.

Story-of-my-tits-montage-A.110403.png

Story-of-My-Tits-interior-Galley-170-2up.110656.png

Story-of-My-Tits-interior-Galley-308-2up-bi.110740.png

CLICK HERE FOR A 12-PAGE PREVIEW!

• SURFACE TENSION #5 (of 5)

1936726688?profile=RESIZE_320x320Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: JAY GUNN

32 pages / $3.99

Jay Gunn’s creator-owned thriller draws to an unforgettable close, as Megumi and Ryan – forever changed by their experiences inside the alien coral – battle on behalf of what’s left of humanity.

As the island of Breith comes under sustained assault from the sea, as the final day for the survivors dawns at last, Megumi must decide if humanity is worth saving ...!

Is there hope for a new beginning … or will we be washed beneath the waves?

Just when I was starting to get into this, it ends.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

1936728725?profile=RESIZE_180x180A TRAIN CALLED LOVE #1 (of 10)

1936728840?profile=RESIZE_320x320Writer: GARTH ENNIS

Art: MARK DOS SANTOS

Cover A: RUSS BRAUN

$3.99 / Mature / 32 pages

ON SALE DATE: October 7

Dynamite Entertainment is pleased to announce that fan-favorite writer Garth Ennis will launch a brand new creator-owned series, A Train Called Love, this coming October. A volatile comic book exploration of romance as only Garth Ennis can deliver, A Train Called Love will feature Mark Dos Santos (Grimm Fairy Tales, Cthulhu Tales) as regular artist and Russ Braun (The Boys, Fables) on cover duties.

"A Train Called Love is a story I've been wanting to tell for some time, largely because people keep asking me about doing a romance comic and the idea just wouldn't go away," says Garth Ennis. "This is what I came up with: guns, gangsters, mayhem, big white hoods, dubious films with horses, mad Germans, obscene phone calls, crazy ladies, total losers, hot chicks, dishy guys, movie stars, lots of narcotics, terrible bands from Williamsburg, taxidermy, incontinence, unrequited crushes, a big fluffy white rabbit and a rather unpleasant scene involving an escalator. Thus shall I explore the highs and lows of love."

Valerie's getting dirty phone calls, but when she goes to take revenge she meets Myles, the man of her dreams. But Myles is up against Emil and Gustav, mentally unstable guns for hire. And Valerie's sister Penny's friend Marcy just wants to play her own songs, but no one in the bar tonight cares -- least of all Penny's loser boyfriend Marv and his buddies Chip and Jev, who want their homeboy Mike to play the race card in a dubious scheme to get rich. But Mike has just fallen foul of a certain organisation with a lot of Ks in its name. And then there's Mister Fluffy.

Over the years, Dynamite Entertainment has been the proud home to numerous Garth Ennis projects, including the superhero genre-busting The Boys (with co-creator Darick Robertson), terse cop drama Red Team, gut-wrenching war story Battlefields, revenge fantasy-come-true Jennifer Blood, and pulp hero revival The Shadow. The publisher has also collected several additional titles from the author's earlier works, including Just a Pilgrim, Dan Dare and Seven Brothers. Outside of Dynamite, the author is revered for his prolific work on such titles as Preacher, The Punisher, Hellblazer, The Pro, The Darkness and The Authority: Kev.

"With so many groundbreaking, industry-shaking titles under his belt, it's not like Garth Ennis has anything left to prove ... and yet here he goes again, knocking us over with one of the most fantastic scripts I've read in a long, long time. I can't wait to see A Train Called Love hit store shelves -- his fans are going to be ravenous," says Nick Barrucci, Publisher and CEO of Dynamite Entertainment. "He's one of the best comic book writers in the history of the medium, and we're proud to publish his all-new series. It's a series that's completely unlike any he's ever done before, something gloriously fresh and unpredictable!"

Joseph Rybandt, Senior Editor of Dynamite Entertainment, says, "'Ennis: Unchained'… not that he was ever chained, but that just seems to fit here."

A Mark Millar romance book? That's almost enough to get me to buy it sight unseen. (Almost.)

WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK VOL 7: TRICK OR TREAT (HC)

STK681179.jpg?width=250Publisher: FANTAGRAPHICS BOOKS

Writer/Art/Cover: CARL BARKS

$29.99

When Donald offers tricks instead of treats for Halloween, Witch Hazel (first appearance) conjures a trick or two of her own - in a legendary story that restores nine lost pages! Then, Donald hypnotizes Uncle Scrooge - or does he? Plus, one of Barks's favorites, "Omelet," Donald's misadventures as a chicken farmer. Sixteen stories of all-around comic book excellence, each meticulously restored and newly colored.

It's weird how they don't put the volume numbers on the outside of the books in the Carl Barks Library. I understand why they do it, but as a guy who intends to get them all, it's a bit tedious having to look at tiny print in the indicia to figure out what order to put them in.

ZOMBIE TRAMP #15

1936729052?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936731261?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936731381?profile=RESIZE_180x180

1936733300?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936733522?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writers: JASON MARTIN, DAN MENDOZA

Art: XENIA XIU

32 pgs./ Mature Readers/ FC / $3.99 (reg.) / $4.99 (Var.)

Cover: TMCHU (regular, risqué variant), DAN MENDOZA (limited variant), BLITZ CADET (artist variant)

While being hunted on the deep South golf course, Zombie Tramp turns the tables on the satanic Country Club cult members who aim to bag her, only to encounter their dark master, the powerful King in Yellow. It’s Caddy Shack meets Deliverance by way of True Detective!

Features a variant cover by series creator Dan Mendoza (limited to 2000 copies) a risqué variant cover (limited to 2500 copies), and an artist showcase variant by Tank Girl’s Brett Parson (limited to 1500 copies).

I haven't run a bunch of Zombie Tramp covers in a while. That's reason enough to run some!

ZOMBIES VS CHEERLEADERS HALLOWEEN 2015 #1

1936735788?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936737582?profile=RESIZE_180x180STK683974.jpg?width=1501936737731?profile=RESIZE_180x1801936739814?profile=RESIZE_180x180Publisher: ZENESCOPE ENTERTAINMENT INC

Writers: STEVEN L. FRANK, DAVE FRANCHINI

Art: BILL MAUS, DAVID NAMISATO

Cover A: MARK BLOODWORTH

Cover B: BILL MAUS

Cover C: JAMIE TYNDALL

Cover D: MATT HEBB

$3.99

5FINITY's indie cult hit is back with all new tales of hilarity and horror!

See what happens when cheerleaders visit an old age home for Halloween! It isn't pretty... Also, shenanigans ensue when a disgruntled bar-back contaminates the Pumpkin Ale; will there be a cheerleader to the rescue?

Featuring four new stories!

Speaking of zombies, it appears the ones in Cover A are more interested in tearing the cheerleader's clothes off than feasting on her nubile flesh. Even dead, men are still pigs.

• BOB POWELL’S COMPLETE JET POWERS:

“I hate to be Mr. Negative, but here's another example of my mantra that ‘not every old comic book needs to be reprinted.’”

I’m going to have to disagree with your assessment of this one, Cap, although it’s going to end up being a case of “horseraces.” The stories may be somewhat bland by today’s standards (or even by the standards of the day), but it presents a time capsule of the era, both in terms of comic books and American pop culture. I also find it interesting that the original concept lasted only four issues (Jet Powers #1-4), then they completely revamped the title (The American Air Forces) and direction of the series, yet used essentially the same main character! I wonder what fans of the day made of that?

Interestingly, Steve Rude’s introduction discusses only the first four issues, although the essay by James Vance and John Wooley discusses the entire series and gives it more of an historical context. Did the preview you read online include the editorial material? One advantage Jet Powers has over, say, the Crime Does Not Pay archive series is, one volume and you’re done! You now have the complete set! I’m not trying to talk you into buying it. If you’ve read more than the first story you’ve read more than I have. I just wanted to present an alternate view from a kind of historical perspective.

And, yes, I think Steve Ditko’s Captain Atom is quite similar to the earlier Jet Powers.

BEYOND MARS:

“I don't know anything about this one either, but after Jet Powers, I'm a little leery of obscure-title collections. Anyone have an opinion?”

Well, I didn’t have an opinion until I bought it yesterday, but I had preordered it (and Jet Powers) weeks ago based on the solicitation in Previews. I’ve only just skimmed it so far, but the art looks great. It reminds me a bit of Dan Dare if Dan Dare had been drawn in the style of Milton Caniff (which Beyond Mars certainly is). From what little I’ve read so far, it reads a bit like Miss Fury, but science fiction rather than intrigue. Give it a look when you go to your LCS. One advantage this collection has, like Jet Powers above, one volume and you’re done! You now have the complete set!

This reply was deleted.