Comics Guide for September 2, 2015

We're going to try something new this week. In order to make the Guide more scroll-friendly, I'm putting the previews on our Facebook page. So if you're interested in seeing a preview of a given book (provided one is available), click on the link. And let me know if you think this is awesome or awful.

DARK HORSE COMICS

ADAM.3 #2 (OF 5)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer/Art/Cover: SCOTT KOLINS

On sale Sept 2

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

A nightmarish plague threatens Adam’s island home and everything he holds dear—including his beloved wife, his troubled son, and the animals he watches over. Lives are lost and captives are taken as an otherworldly invader penetrates Adam’s utopian environment.

• Writer/artist Scott Kolins premieres ADAM.3!

• Published in special “widescreen” format!

The narrative has taken a surprising and aggressive sideways lurch with this issue, and I have to say it's made me that much more interested in the book. And the mysteries are actually increasing instead of being explained away.

The art has improved a bit to my eye, too. Maybe I've just grown more attuned to it, or maybe Kolins has become more attuned to the "widescreen" format. I say this because a second issue usually has less detail than a first, but this issue seems to have more.  

My one complaint is that Adam's son Beo is such an obvious threat I can't believe Adam and Sky aren't taking some sort of precautions. I mean, good lord, he almost stabbed them when they were asleep! "Home" recorded it, so they should be aware that the kid's dangerous.

ALIENS: SALVATION (HC)

Writer: DAVE GIBBONS

Pencils/Cover: MIKE MIGNOLA

Inks: KEVIN NOWLAN

Colors: MATT HOLLINGSWORTH

MIGNOLA! GIBBONS! NOWLAN!

On sale Sept 2

FC, 56 pages, $10.99

HC, 6 5/8″ x 10 3/16″

One of the most memorable Aliens tales ever told, now available as a premier-edition hardcover! When the most pious crewman aboard the Nova Maru is forced to abandon ship with his mad captain, the two are marooned on an inhospitable and remote world—and they’re not alone . . .

• Back in print for the first time in over a decade!

• Deluxe hardcover format with a new cover by Mike Mignola!

First, let me say this is a very good Aliens story. It would be worth reading no matter who drew it. 

But look who did: Mike Mignola and Kevin Nowlan! I love them both, so this was a treat that I savored.

As to that story, a religious man is stranded on a planet with very few other survivors and a bunch of bugs. In addition to the struggle for survival, there's also the guy's attempt to work all this horror into his theology. I'm not terribly religious myself, so I wouldn't have any idea how a believer would go about interpreting the aliens without Dave Gibbons to give me a tour.

All in all, a great show.

BARB WIRE #3

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: CHRIS WARNER

Pencils: PATRICK OLLIFFE

Inks: TOM NGUYEN

Colors: GABE ELTAEB

Cover: ADAM HUGHES

On sale Sept 2

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing 

“Your death will be swift, though not painless!”—Wyvern Stormblüd

Bounty hunter Barb Wire goes after the lion in its lair when she confronts the drunken powerhouse named Wyvern Stormblüd in his squat—a decaying steel mill almost as hazardous as he is. It’s a battle between the swift and smart and the ’faced and ferocious!

My complaint about this title is probably getting annoying, but it continues. And it is this: I have no reason to care about Barb Wire.

She is terrible at everything she does, and lives and works in the sleaziest places in her city. It's really not very much fun to watch as her sleazy bar fails, as her sleazy TV show fails and as her efforts to play bounty hunter with sleazy, super-powered cretins (a drunk one this issue) don't really do her any good. She's neither a nice person nor a successful one, and given her talents and looks she could do other things, but instead she swims in filth. After a given issue, I just feel dirty.

Why should we care about her? I just can't figure out any reason to admire her. If I'm supposed to care because she's sexy, that's just insulting. (Although I confess the Adam Hughes covers and Patrick Oliffe insides are very attractive.) 

But I keep hoping Chris Warner will explain to me what's interesting/sympathetic about this character. Right now, I figure she pretty much deserves to be where she is, and don't care if she wins or loses (except for the lives of her hapless employees, whom she keeps putting in jeopardy). 

Does this stuff bother anyone else, or is it just me?

CONAN VOLUME 18: THE DAMNED HORDE (HC)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: FRED VAN LENTE

Art: BRIAN CHING

Colors: MICHAEL ATIYEH

Cover: DAN SCOTT

On sale Sept 2

FC, 152 pages, $24.99

HC, 7″ x 10″

Conan and his allies are thrown into battle against an army of brigands! Conan enters into an uncertain alliance to steal a legendary treasure that leads him on a perilous journey! Writer Fred Van Lente tackles the world’s most famous barbarian in this collection of issues #7-12 of Dark Horse Comics’ Conan the Avenger.

• The complete smash-hit second Conan the Avenger arc by Fred Van Lente!

“This is classic Conan here, folks, and it’s great fun to read.”—The Fandom Post

Written by Eisner winner Paul Tobin!

As I've been saying about the current issues of this title, Fred van Lente is doing a terrific job writing the book. Conan is always Conan, of course, but what sets van Lente's work apart is that he takes the time to develop secondary characters and give their dialogue a lot of vitality and humor. It's almost as if he's writing a farce, with Conan the straight man who lets things go to hell for a while before stepping in to fix it all by main strength or sheer determination.

As to the art, Ching's work is a bit scritchy-scratchy for my taste, but it fits the subject matter. Everything looks a bit dirty and used -- even, or maybe especially, the people.

The Damned Horde is a complete story, mildly based on some of REH's jottings, but really just another day in the Hyborian Age, where nothing really ever goes according to plan.

LADY KILLER (TPB)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writers: JOËLLE JONES, JAMIE S. RICH

Art: JOËLLE JONES

Cover: JOËLLE JONES, LAURA ALLRED (COVER)

On sale Sept 2

FC, 136 pages, $17.99

TPB, 7″ x 10″

Josie Schuller is a picture-perfect homemaker, wife, and mother—but she’s also a ruthless, efficient killer! She’s balanced cheerful domestic bliss with coldly performed assassinations, but when Josie finds herself in the crosshairs, her American Dream life is in danger! Collects issues #1-5.

“A level of violence that can only be described as Mad Men’s Betty Draper meets Dexter.”—Comic Book Resources

Lady Killer somehow manages to perfectly incorporate the quaint concept of the 1950s TV housewife with blood-fueled antics of vicious killer for hire.”—IGN

I was really looking forward to this book for the art, which really captures the advertising style of the late 1950s and early 1960s (as I vaguely remember it). Aside from nostalgia, it's both clean and ironic, given what the main character does for a living (she's an assassin). The Mad Men look suits her better in the other half of her life, though, where she's a suburban wife and mother whose family has no idea what she does when they're not home.

So, yeah, I love the art. And what I knew of the story -- see above -- seemed sufficient. There would be violence, there would be irony, there would be black humor. That would be good enough.

But it turns out the story is more muscular than that, hinting at a bigger picture that we never quite see. What is the organization the protagonist works for? Who are these other women who seem to do the same thing? And, given the events of the book (which I won't spoil) what will happen to our star now?

These questions (and more) are deliberately raised and just as deliberately not answered. I'm thinking sequel, and that would be a fine thing.

THIS DAMNED BAND #2 (OF 6)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: PAUL CORNELL

Art/Cover: TONY PARKER

Colors: LOVERN KINDZIERSKI

On sale Sept 2

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

The band Motherfather is starting to wonder if maybe the whole “pretending to worship Satan” thing wasn’t such a good idea—especially after Satan himself comes around for a visit!

The wickedly funny romp that mixes classic rock with black magic continues from Paul Cornell (Wolverine, Action Comics) and Tony Parker (Mass Effect: Foundation)! 

“[Paul] Cornell does not disappoint.”—Comic Book Resources

I was going to read and review this title, but I never got around to it. I may never get around to it, because I read the first issue and it was a big, fat bundle of predictable cliches. Wait, that is a review. Oops.

DC COMICS

GREEN LANTERN 75 COVERS

In honor of the Emerald Gladiator's 75th anniversary, this month's variant covers at DC all involve Green Lantern. This week we have Batman Beyond #4, Detective Comics #44, Green Arrow #44 and Green Lantern #44. That cover with the Golden Age Batman and Golden Age Green Lantern make me nostalgic for team-ups that never happened, while the Howard Chaykin cover featuring Silver Age Green Lantern and Golden Age Green Lantern makes me nostalgic for team-ups that did happen. I'm guessing the Neal Adams cover is a switcheroo on Green Lantern #76 -- the first Denny O'Neil/Neal Adams issue -- which showed Green Arrow preventing Green Lantern from charging up his ring.

DC COMICS BOMBSHELLS #2

Written by MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art by BILQUIS EVELY and STEPHEN MOONEY

Cover by ANT LUCIA

1:25 Variant cover by KEVIN WADA

On sale SEPTEMBER 2 • 40 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST

This issue will ship with two covers.

Wonder Woman defies her mother’s orders and attempts to break Captain Steve Trevor out of his prison cell on Themyscira. But to accomplish this, she’s going to summon a little help from the deep in the form of Mera, Princess of Atlanta. Meanwhile, in Russia, two new heroes are about to be created to serve the Soviet Union: Supergirl and Stargirl!

This cover would make a fantastic poster.

THE FLASH SEASON ZERO #12

Written by STERLING GATES

Art by IBRAHIM MOUSTAFA

Photo cover

On sale SEPTEMBER 2 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • DIGITAL FIRST • FINAL ISSUE

While The Flash battles an army of dark energy-infused giant spiders, Caitlin and Cisco go on an adventure of their own! THE FLASH SEASON ZERO reaches its conclusion here!

Another great cover, although the profile covers are getting a bit redundant.

THE NEW 52: FUTURES END VOL. 3 (TPB)

Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO, KEITH GIFFEN, DAN JURGENS and JEFF LEMIRE

Art by various

Cover by RYAN SOOK

On sale SEPTEMBER 9 • 408 pg, FC, $29.99 US

In this final volume of the hit weekly series, Brainiac has arrived from the stars, and he intends to take New York City with him as a souvenir. Superman, Batman Beyond, Firestorm, Stormwatch, and the Justice League Dark must band together stop Brainiac and Brother Eye from destroying the future. Collects THE NEW 52: FUTURES END #31-48.

I didn't read this after the first few issues, because DC stopped sending me review copies. Is it worth getting in TPB form, Legionnaires?

SUICIDE SQUAD VOL. 1: TRIAL BY FIRE (TPB)

Written by JOHN OSTRANDER

Art by LUKE McDONNELL, KARL KESEL and BOB LEWIS

Cover by JERRY BINGHAM

On sale SEPTEMBER 2 • 232 pg, FC, $19.99 US

In these stories from SUICIDE SQUAD #1-8 and SECRET ORIGINS #14, the team must take down the evil Jihad before it can attack the U.S. Then, the Squad is sent into Russia to extract a famous dissident—but can they get out alive?

I still remember this series fondly. Yeah, Gail Simone and others did some great stuff with later iterations of Suicide Squad and the related Secret Six, but here's where it all began, courtesy of some excellent work by John Ostrander and Luke McDonnell. Recommended? Hells, yeah!

WONDER WOMAN VOL. 7: WAR-TORN (HC)

Written by MEREDITH FINCH

Art by DAVID FINCH, RICHARD FRIEND, MATT BANNING, JONATHAN GLAPION and others

Cover by DAVID FINCH and RICHARD FRIEND

On sale SEPTEMBER 2 • 176 pgs | Color $24.99 | Available Rated T

It's a new era for Wonder Woman, as the husband-wife team of Meredith and David Finch take the creative reins in WONDER WOMAN VOL. 7: WAR-TORN!

The new God of War, Diana of Themyscira finds that conflict follows her wherever she goes. As Wonder Woman, she must help the Justice League to stop a mysterious evil that's claiming countless innocent victims. As Queen of the Amazons, she's attempting to bring her sisters into a new era, allowing men to live on Paradise Island for the first time.

But this divided loyalty and break with tradition is inciting unrest among the Amazons. When a new challenger to the throne arises--one with a familiar face--will Diana be Queen enough to defeat her?

With dynamic art from critically acclaimed illustrator David Finch, this graphic novel collection is a fantastic jumping-on point for both new readers and fans alike. 

About the Author:

Meredith Finch made her comics debut with Tales from Oz: The Cowardly Lion, published by Zenescope Comics. She continues to write for Zenescope with such credits as the Grimm Fairy Tales: Swimsuit Edition, Grimm Tales of Terror and the Little Mermaid mini-series. In November 2014, Meredith made her DC Comics debut as she teamed up with acclaimed artist (and husband) David Finch to become the new creative team on the ever-popular WONDER WOMAN.

Collects WONDER WOMAN #36-40 and ANNUAL #1.

Praise for WONDER WOMAN:

"It's pleasant to see [Meredith Finch] thoroughly gets the character... Solidly entertaining." -- Wired

"Compelling." -- Popmatters

"Meredith and David Finch have ushered in a new era for the heroine. They've put the character back where she should be: at the center of her own title." -- Newsarama

My review copy is embargoed until Sept. 8. That's when the book comes out in bookstores. But that's too late for us, isn't it? And all of DC's review books are like this now, embargoed until they've been out for a week already. Dunno what to do about it.

WONDER WOMAN VOL. 6: BONES (TPB)

Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art by CLIFF CHIANG and GORAN SUDZUKA

Cover by CLIFF CHIANG

On sale SEPTEMBER 2 • 160 pg, FC, $14.99 US

In this final WONDER WOMAN volume by Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang, Olympus must fall and its rightful ruler must be restored. Wonder Woman is locked in desperate battle with the First Born and the destiny of immortals at stake in these stories from WONDER WOMAN #30-35 and a story from SECRET ORIGINS #6.

However, this book has already come out in HC, so I'm free to talk about it.

And, yes, I know some of you didn't care for the Azzarello take on the Amazing Amazon. But I loved it -- for the first time, the WW mythos was streamlined into something that made sense to me, worked story-wise and upgraded Diana to Hercules status, where she should have always been. She's not just AN Amazon, she is THE Amazon, Bob Kanigher's idiotic contests on kangaroos notwithstanding.

All that egalitarian nonsense needed to go, because Diana needs to be special. And the Amazon society itself needed to make sense (How do they get pregnant? Where are the men? Why is Hippolyta so erratic? Are they all lesbians? Are they immortal?), and now it does. And the clay-statue origin was an awful thing to saddle Diana with, but now it's gone too -- instead, she's the daughter of Zeus! Now that's a special girl! And finally, he's established an infinite story springboard: The Greek gods as Diana's sociopathic, lethal, utterly decadent family -- "the original crime family" as Azzarello puts it. Perfect.

Some of you disagree. And thus are the speed contests of equine competitors made.

Anyway, if you don't like this new Wonder Woman, you won't be reading this book, so you don't need a review. And if you do like the new Wonder Woman, you will very likely have ordered this book already, and don't need a review. Which is good, because not much new ground is plowed here -- Azzarello essentially wraps up his run, answering whatever questions were left, tying up some character arcs and basically clearing the decks for the next writer.

IDW PUBLISHING

There are only five IDW books this week. Here are the two that interest me.

DANGER GIRL: RENEGADE #1 (of 4)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: ANDY HARTNELL

Art: STEPHEN MOLNAR

Cover: J. SCOTT CAMPBELL

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

Abbey Chase is renowned across the globe as a brilliant young archeologist and (a bit less renowned) as a member of the super-secret spy organization known as Danger. But what set of circumstances lead Abbey to become who she is—who trained and shaped her into the remarkable person she is? Now, for the first time ever, Danger Girl readers will find out the answer to these questions and more … in Danger Girl: Renegade!

• It’s the origin of ABBEY CHASE!

• Variant Cover by J. Scott Campbell!

I have held a grudge against this series ever since the first storyline, when they turned my favorite character into a traitor. Despite that, though, I enjoyed this issue, which begins the origin of the central character, Abbey. As it turns out, she led a colorful life of international intrigue before becoming a Danger Girl, and for a change it's not swiped from Modesty Blaise!

WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK: THE DAILY NEWSPAPER COMICS, VOL. 1 (HC)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: BOB KARP

Art/Cover: AL TALIAFERRO

HC • FC • $39.99 • 272 pages • 11" x 8.5"

From the Disney Vaults! The early Donald Duck daily strips are collected for the first time ever! The daily newspaper comics premiered on February 7, 1938, and within eight weeks became the all-time fastest growing syndicated comic strip in the world. This premiere volume includes more than 800 sequential daily comic strips from 1938 to 1940 drawn by Al Taliaferro and written by Bob Karp, and reproduced from pristine original material in the Disney Vaults!

I didn't think Donald got popular until Carl Barks got ahold of him. But here he is in a popular strip in 1938. Learn something new every day.

IMAGE COMICS

DARK CORRIDOR #2

Writer/Art/Cover: RICH TOMMASO

SEPTEMBER 2 / 24 PAGES / FC / M / $3.99

Carter burns through his money like a big-baller. Also, we see The Scalinas death at the hands of deadly daughter Nicole.

I've read the first two issues of this and don't know quite what to make of it. The title is an umbrella -- like Twilight Zone or Outer Limits -- and doesn't really mean anything. Each issue has two stories (I'm told) and in the first issue they didn't seem related. The mood seems to be horror/crime noir, but the art is more lightly-rendered, almost cartoony manga. It appears that some of the stories may connect down the road, but it's hard to tell right now.

Still on the fence. Will advise.

JUPITER’S CIRCLE #6

Writer: MARK MILLAR

Art/Cover D: DAVIDE GIANFELICE

Cover A/Cover B (Sketch Variant)/Cover C (B&W Variant): FRANK QUITELY

August 26 / 32 pages / Full Color / Mature Readers / $3.50

A love triangle disrupts the team. Final issue of volume 1!

The last two issues of this title have been the story of Skyfox of the Justice League the Union, before his fall from grace. It's set in the 1960s, and it is remarkably good.

Perhaps because he's unencumbered with the need to keep characters and relationships static to keep trademarks viable, Millar has crafted a story with consequences. We all know from Jupiter's Children that Skyfox makes a heel turn, and this story explains why -- but not with an editorial fiat, as is often the case, but because of a very human reason that we can all understand. It isn't pretty, but it's real, and we can all relate.

I'm also enjoying the art. I'm not familiar with Davide GianFelice, but he has an absolute mastery of anatomy and perspective to the point where he requires very little rendering. He achieves what he needs to with a minimum of lines, which reminds me of Alex Toth in style. And he can swing the Mad Men milieu, which not everyone can.

LAST DAYS OF AMERICAN CRIME, VOL. 1 HC

Story: RICK REMENDER

Art: GREG TOCCHINI

Cover: ALEX MALEEV

JULY 15 / 184 PAGES / FC / M / $24.99

The critically acclaimed, smutty, sci-fi and noir first collaboration between RICK REMENDER (LOW, DEADLY CLASS) and GREG TOCCHINI (LOW, Uncanny X-Force) is finally back in print, remastered, and delivered in a glorious hardcover format.

Collects LAST DAYS OF AMERICAN CRIME #1-3.

I'm not usually a Remender fan, but this is a very solid, enjoyable story.

There's some foofaraw about government mind control that technically makes this a sci-fi story, but you can safely ignore all that. It exists mostly to create a MacGuffin and a deadline for what is essentially a crime noir.

What I found irrestistible is that Remender doesn't pretend that his four main characters won't betray each other -- in fact, all of them expect it (as does the audience). The question, then, is who will betray the others first, and who will betray them best? As the story races to its conclusion, more and more cards are turned over and it really is quite thrilling.

It's also quite sexy, as the cover would indicate. I don't often find comics sexy, as the pneumatic pin-up girls that populate most books turn me off. But Greg Tocchini gives us a realistic femme fatale that ups the heat factor throughout.

PLUTONA #1 (of 4)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Story: JEFF LEMIRE & EMI LENOX

Art/Cover: EMI LENOX

SEPTEMBER 2 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $2.99

A brand new heartfelt super-hero series by JEFF LEMIRE (DESCENDER, Hawkeye) and amazing newcomer EMI LENOX! PLUTONA follows the story of five suburban kids who make a shocking discovery while exploring the woods one day after school...the body of Plutona, the world's greatest superhero. A dark and heartbreaking journey about friendship and coming of age all through the lens of the superhero genre.

This book actually contains two stories. The first introduces a group of kids in a pretty organic way that reminds me a bit of movies like Stand By Me. In the back pages are the first part of a story about the working-class superhero Plutona. We know these two stories will dovetail, and we know how, but we don't know when.

I'm not familiar with Emi Lenox, and don't even know his/her gender. But he/she has a style remarkably similar to to Lemire's own, which I suppose makes them natural storyteller partners. It's not gorgeous, but it does the job.

All in all, this book is off to a great start.

MARVEL

AGE OF APOCALYPSE #3

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: FABIAN NICIEZA

Art/Cover: GERARDO SANDOVAL

Variant by TBA

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

The race to claim the LEGACY VIRUS before it’s released by the human insurgency grows desperate! The X-MEN and the HORSEMEN of the APOCALYPSE vie for a weapon that can mean victory for Magneto’s rebels or ultimate power for the forces of En Sabah Nur.

You know, this really does have a real '90s vibe to it. Maybe it's the hair.

AGE OF ULTRON VS. MARVEL ZOMBIES #4

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: JAMES ROBINSON

Art: STEVE PUGH

Cover by LEONARD KIRK

UNHOLY ALLIANCE!

• The enemy of my enemy is my friend …

• But whoever wins, we lose ...

• Unless HANK PYM can deliver us from evil!

*SECRET WARS SERIES

I feel really stupid. I hadn't really thought about why these particular characters were in this series, and then duh, I got it. Hank Pym, Wasp, Vision, Wonder Man and the Golden Age Human Torch have all been "related" at one time or another to each other or to Ultron. It's a family reunion! Well, except for those gate-crashing zombies. They just got no couth.

DAREDEVIL #18

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: MARK WAID

Art/Cover: CHRIS SAMNEE

• The final chapter in the Autobiography of Matt Murdock is written by someone who may surprise you.

• Not everyone survives this phase in Daredevil’s life.

• Find out who lives, who dies...and who is changed forever.

I started trade-waiting this series when DD moved to San Francicso, and doggone it time hasn't run away from me. I've waited too long!

DARK TOWER: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE -- THE LADY OF THE SHADOWS #1 (of 5)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writers: ROBIN FURTH & PETER DAVID

Art: JONATHON MARKS

Cover by NIMIT MALAVIA

32 PGS / Parental Advisory / $3.99

A NEW CHARACTER ADDS HER STORY TO STEPHEN KING’S DARK FANTASY EPIC!

The ka-tet is assembling. Today, Marvel & Stephen King are proud to announce the next chapter in the bold epic Dark Tower series. Coming this September, Stephen King’s The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three – The Lady of Shadows #1 continues the epic story through the eyes of one of the series fan-favorite characters. Perfect for new and old fans alike, the rich and vibrant world of the Dark Tower series comes alive like never before! New York Times Bestselling writers Peter David & Robin Furth alongside rising star artist Jonathan Marks bring the action from Mid-World to our world in this exciting new installment!

The Gunslinger Roland and his companion Eddie Dean, the troubled young man with the ability to open doors to other worlds are now united. Together, they will find the Dark Tower. But first they must locate the 3rd member of their ka-tet, residing in our world. Enter Odetta Holmes, a wealthy, Civil Rights activist living in the South. But Odetta has a dark secret, and a darker side. To uncover that secret, we’ll have to go back to the beginning…

A bold new chapter begins as Odetta Holmes makes her entrance into this landmark series. Don’t miss Stephen King’s The Dark Tower: The Drawing of the Three – The Lady of Shadows #1, when it comes to comic shops and digital devices this September!

I don't follow this title, but Marvel was excited enough to send out this press release -- so here ya go.

DEADPOOL VS. THANOS #1 (of 4)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: TIM SEELEY

Art: ELMO BONDOC

Cover by TRADD MOORE

Variant Cover by RON LIM

Action Figure Variant Also Available

On-Sale – 09/02/15

Yes – you heard that correctly. The fight of the century is at hand dear reader, and the Merc With a Mouth is set to take it to the Titan With a Temper in September’s aptly named DEADPOOL VS. THANOS #1! Written by Tim Seeley (Death of Wolverine: The Logan Legacy) with art by Elmo Bondoc (Ms. Marvel) and covers by Tradd Moore (All-New Ghost Rider), strap  yourselves in for a wild ride across all corners of the Marvel Universe!

We all know the story of Thanos – the man who single-handedly turned bejeweled gloves into THE deadliest and most fashion-forward weapons in the entire universe. But did you know he also shares an ex with good ol’ Wade Wilson? It’s true! The cosmic lady known only as Death! And when her mysterious disappearance causes everyone in the universe to stop dying – both her former flames take an interest.

If they hope to locate Death and restore balance to the cosmos – they’ll need to work…together. Yeah, that won’t end well. Can the pair overcome their overwhelming hatred and announce of one another? Or will Thanos finally let Deadpool die once and for all? One thing is for certain – this fight won’t be pretty. The fists will fly this September in DEADPOOL VS. THANOS #1!

With a Deadpool movie and two Avengers movies featuring Thanos on the horizon, this book was pretty much inevitable.

FIGMENT 2 #1 (of 5)

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: JIM ZUB

Art: RAMON BACHS

Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Action Figure Variant Cover by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

Classic Disney Image Variant also available

32 PGS / All Ages / $3.99

THE LEGENDARY DREAMFINDER AND FIGMENT RETURN IN AN ALL-NEW ADVENTURE!

This September, journey back into the exciting depths of your own imagination with FIGMENT 2 #1 – the follow-up to the smash-hit, sold-out Disney Kingdoms series! Continuing the unique collaboration between Marvel and Walt Disney Imagineering, the Disney Kingdoms line of comics brings you new adventures inspired by the beloved lands, attractions, characters and worlds of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts! Critically acclaimed writer Jim Zub (Figment, Skullkickers) returns alongside artist Ramon Bachs for the next chapter in the life of the enigmatic inventor Dreamfinder and the legendary Figment!

Now in the present day, Figment and Dreamfinder must brave the modern world as new and unexpected adventures lie before them. Gone for over 100 years, our imaginative duo have become the stuff of legends. But with their greatest challenge still before them, will their legacy ultimately be their undoing?

“As soon as the first Figment series wrapped up I was bombarded with messages from excited readers asking if there would be more Dreamfinder comic stories,” says series writer Jim Zub. “Thankfully the team at Disney and Marvel saw the spark in our first journey and asked me for ideas on where things could go from there. I’m thrilled that they’ve entrusted me with these cherished characters and can’t wait for readers to dive into new realms of imagination with our creative team.”

A mainstay of Epcot® Theme Park at Walt Disney World® Resort, Figment and the enigmatic inventor Dreamfinder have captivated visitors of Epcot’s Journey Into Imagination attraction for years and Marvel and Disney are proud to continue their exciting story this September! Old friends, reunite, new challenges are met, and a brand new mystery unfolds. All it takes is one little spark to let your imagination soar. Don’t miss the highly anticipated return of the fan-favorite, sold out series when FIGMENT 2 #1 comes to comic shops and digital devices this September!

For more information, visit Marvel.com for an interview with writer Jim Zub and get caught up with the Figment HC, on sale now in comic shops and wherever books are sold.

Elements based on Figment © Disney

Another big, fat press release!

A.K.A. JESSICA JONES: ALIAS VOL. 1 (TPB)

Written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS

Penciled by MICHAEL GAYDOS & BILL SIENKIEWICZ

NEW COVER BY DAVID MACK

208 PGS / Explicit Content / $24.99

Meet Jessica Jones. Once upon a time, she was a costumed super hero — but not a very good one. Her powers were unremarkable compared to the amazing abilities of the costumed icons that populate the Marvel Universe. In a city of Marvels, she never found her niche. The self-destructive would-be Avenger is now the owner and sole employee of Alias Investigations — a small, private-investigative firm specializing in superhuman cases. When she uncovers the potentially explosive secret of one hero’s true identity, Jessica’s life immediately becomes expendable. But her wit, charm and intelligence just may help her survive another day. Thrust into the midst of a conspiracy that reaches the highest levels, has Jessica burned too many bridges to turn to old friends for help? Collecting ALIAS #1-9.
I was pretty impressed with this series when it first came out. I don't if it still holds up, but I'll recommend it anyway, just because it's going to be adapted to Netflix.

MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM #1

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Written by NEIL GAIMAN

Art & Cover by MARK BUCKINGHAM

Variant Cover by SIMONE BIANCHI

Variant Cover by JOE QUESADA

Special Jam Variant by GARRY LEACH, ALAN DAVIS, JOHN TOTLEBEN & RICK VEITCH

48 PGS / Parental Advisory / $4.99

On Sale Sept. 2!

It was the series that changed comics forever. And at long last – it will be completed. This September, a tale that began 25 years ago will finally be told in MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM #1! Visionary comic legends Neil Gaiman (Sandman, 1602) & Mark Buckingham (Fables) bring you a new Age of Miracles and a story of epic proportions! Kicking off The Golden Age storyline and then continuing into the unfinished The Silver Age & The Dark Age arcs, Gaiman & Buckingham’s lost Miracleman story will finally see the light of day!

Uttering a single, long-forgotten word, Michael Moran transformed from the ordinary into the extraordinary – and Miracleman was born! Years out of print and left unfinished, Marvel Comics is pleased to bring these iconic and trailblazing stories back to print for an entirely new generation of fans. Now is the chance to jump on board one of the most groundbreaking stories in comics history before these two industry titans bring you the cataclysmic conclusion to their famously unfinished storyline!

"That Neil and Bucky can finally finish the story they started, is a great relief to still-gasping fans — myself among them," says Marvel Editor-in-Chief Axel Alonso.

Visit Marvel.com for an exclusive video interview with Neil Gaiman

Gaiman and Buckingham reunite with series colorist D’Israeli and award-winning letterer Todd Klein to create the definitive Miracleman. Each issue has been remastered directly from the original artwork and will feature extensive additional content including scripts, original art, sketches, rare promotional pieces — and more! Look for this exciting jumping on point this September 2nd when MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM #1 comes to comic shops!

Plus, get caught up before September with Miracleman Book One: A Dream of Flying, Miracleman Book Two: The Red King Syndrome, and Miracleman Book Three: Olympus – available digitally and wherever books are sold!

MMMmmmm, I've waited for this a long time!

MOCKINGBIRD: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: CHELSEA CAIN

Art: JOELLE JONES (A)

Cover by PAUL RENAUD

Variant Cover by CHRISTIAN WARD

ACTION FIGURE VARIANT BY JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

40 PGS / One-Shot / Rated T+ / $4.99

• Mockingbird has always been one of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s best agents, but what happens when someone close to her is murdered?

• Forced to take matters into her own hands, someone is bound to pay!

• New York Times Bestselling Author Chelsea Cain joins the Marvel Universe to tell a story of bloody revenge!

• Plus! A special bonus story by superstar young adult author, Margaret Stohl (Beautiful Creatures), writer for the upcoming YA novel, Black Widow: Forever Red!

Mockingbird's off-and-on TV show is currently back on. Which may or may not explain this issue.

SQUADRON SINISTER #3 

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: MARC GUGGENHEIM

Art/Cover: CARLOS PACHECO

Manga Artist Variant by TBA

32 PGS / Rated T / $3.99

• It’s all-out war between the New Universe heroes of Nutopia and the Squadron Sinister!  But are the Sinisters a greater danger to themselves?  

• And which Sinister is going to die?

*SECRET WARS SERIES

How about that -- an homage cover to Fantastic Four #249!

OTHER PUBLISHERS

AERO-GIRL #4

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: DEWAYNE FEENSTRA

Art: AXUR ENEAS

Cover: AXUR ENEAS & JUAN PAUL REIBELING

32 pgs / All Ages / FC /  $3.99

The battle for Foxbay! Can Aero-Girl and Jak-Jak stop Dr. Chimera and his army of Ani-Men from unleashing his gene bomb and mutating the city’s animals?

I didn't get a chance to read this, but it has a nice preview.

ALIENS / VAMPIRELLA #1

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Writer: CORINNA BECHKO

Art: JAVIER GARC?A-MIRANDA

Cover A: GABRIEL HARDMAN

Cover B Blank Authentix: N/A

$3.99 / Teen+ / 32 pages

Humans have begun to colonize Mars, but something ancient and sinister got there first. Now Vampirella is faced with a mystery only she can solve, and the bloody realization that some monsters should never be awakened.

Writer Corinna Bechko says, "I've loved Alien since I first saw it as a kid on a crummy old TV in a well-lit room and got scared half to death anyway. Now that I have the chance to add a little corner to that universe I couldn't be happier. And pitting such an implacable horror against Vampirella? That's a meeting that definitely produces very fertile story-telling ground. The Alien franchise has always thrived with strong women in the lead. Smart, self-assured Vampirella is a joy to write for, even when she may have met her match."

"Aliens/Vampirella continues our string of successful crossovers with Dark Horse Comics. This is an incredible series -- featuring the iconic Vampirella against one of Fox's icons, Aliens -- and we're proud to have Corrina Bechko as the architect," says Dynamite CEO/Publisher Nick Barrucci.

"When I first heard about the Vampirella / Aliens crossover, I thought to myself, 'How is this going to work?' But then I read Corinna Bechko's outline for the series, and all my doubts were dispelled," says Dark Horse V.P. of Publishing Randy Stradley.

Vampirella is a raven-haired heroine who remains, even after 45 years of publication, one of the comic industry's leading ladies, due in no small part to Dynamite Entertainment's stewardship of the character. Since Vampirella's very healthy resurgence in 2010, Dynamite has published two volumes of a monthly series, several miniseries and one-shot specials, and crossovers with multimedia brands and comic book peers. The Vampirella franchise is a haven for writers and artists with a penchant for the macabre.

For more than 25 years, Dark Horse Comics has been the comic book home to the Aliens franchise, expanding upon the universe of terror first introduced in the 1979 Ridley Scott-helmed sci-fi/horror masterpiece. Featuring the nightmarish extraterrestrials as imagined by H. R. Giger, the Dark Horse comics have enjoyed unprecedented success in both the hobby and mass markets. Throughout the years, the Xenomorphs have interacted with many staples of the comic book industry, including Batman, Predator, Terminator, Judge Dredd, Superman and Green Lantern.

Dynamite Entertainment is proud to announce the full creative team for  Aliens/Vampirella, the upcoming horror crossover between their classic comic book heroine an the xenomorph monsters from Dark Horse Comics' long-running comic book, based on the renowned film series. Corinna Bechko (Star Wars: Legacy) will steer the series with her scripts, while artist Javier García-Miranda will provide the atmophere and action. Also, artist Gabriel Hardman will provide the distinctive covers worthy of the tradition of horror excellence that both long-standing terror icons represent.

As established in Aliens/Vampirella #1, humans have begun to colonize Mars, but something ancient and sinister got there first. Vampirella, a supernatural exterminator, is faced with a mystery only she can solve ... and the bloody realization that some monsters should never be awakened.

Bechko has been writing comics since her horror graphic novel Heathentown was published by Image/Shadowline in 2009. Since then, she has worked for numerous comics publishers including Marvel, DC, Boom, Dark Horse and Dynamite on titles such as Planet of the Apes, Star Wars: Legacy, Savage Hulk and Invisible Republic. Her background is in zoology. She lives in Los Angeles with her husband and a small menagerie.

Javier García-Miranda is a relative newcomer to the comic book industry, but has been making waves with his work on several Dynamite horror titles. He has illustrated  Aliens/Vampirella's raven-haired heroine before as part of the anniversary Vampirella #100 celebration. In addition, García-Miranda chronicled the fall and resurrection of Chaos! Comics' resident bat-winged villainess in the Purgatori miniseries, and worked on Dynamite's premier bad boy in Evil Ernie (Vol. 2) #6.

"I couldn't be happier to be teamed with Javier," says writer Corinna Bechko. "His work has an energy that is necessary for this story, and he's great at creating a really creepy feel for the scenes that require it. Plus, both his Vampirella and his xenomorphs are gorgeous."

Gabriel Hardman, cover artist for the entire Aliens/Vampirella series, is a prolific creator in the comic book industry, plus a frequent contributor to the film industry. A comic book writer and artist, he has worked on such titles as Kinski, Invisible Republic, Star Wars: Legacy, Planet of the Apes and Savage Hulk. He also served as storyboard artist for the films Inception, Interstellar, Tropic Thunder and X2.

This first issue is not only better than you could expect, it's better than it has any right to be.

The story is really strong. This is the near-ish future, and Vampirella has grown from whatever she is now to a competent, confident adult who appears to be a government agent of some kind. She is summoned when a problem arises on Mars, and the woman who steps onto the Red Planet is an admirable one who is completely sure of her abilities and agency. It's nice to see.

The Martians -- sure, let's call them that -- have found a "nest" of some kind, and you can guess from the title what sort of nest it is. Vampirella is summoned because the ancient corpses in the place look like the victims of vampires, but Vampi quickly rejects that analysis and begins an investigation.

And you know how you yell at the TV or movie screen when the characters in a horror movie do something completely dopey? Well, there's none of that here. I said Vampirella is competent, and she is -- all necessary and advisable safety protocols are observed. Our protagonists do absolutely nothing stupid.

But we still end up with one of the best shock endings I've seen in a bloodsucker's age.

Recommended? You betcha!

THE BEAST WITHIN: THE ART OF KEN BARR (HC)

Publisher: SQPINC

Writer/Art/Cover: KEN BARR

Mature/$24.99

Ken Barr is old-school masterful, and defines what it is to create whole new worlds of wonder. His storied career is filled with outstanding movie and television projects, science fiction and fantasy book covers, and many iconic images from the glory days of Marvel Comics. For the first time ever, a massive collection of Ken's favorite pieces have been assembled for this personal showcase.

Hey, remember when this guy was doing covers for Savage Sword of Conan? I sure do!

DOCTOR WHO: FOUR DOCTORS #4

IMPERIUM #8

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Written by JOSHUA DYSART

Art by SCOT EATON

Cover A by KANO

Cover B by SCOT EATON

Variant Cover by CLAYTON HENRY

$3.99 US | 32 pgs. | T+ | On sale SEPTEMBER 2

You never saw this one coming …

"BROKEN ANGELS” reaches its unbelievable climax as DIVINITY takes hold!

Toyo Harada is the most powerful mortal man in the world. To build his imperium, he has collected monsters. Now he comes face to face with a god. Confronted by the unfathomable depths of the man who is no longer a man, who can only be called Divinity, Harada plunges his mind into infinity. Can even the unstoppable Harada survive the fall?

Unstoppable vs. immovable. A good issue.

JERUSALEM CHRONICLES FROM THE HOLY CITY (TPB)

Publisher: DRAWN & QUARTERLY

Writer/Art/Cover: GUY DELISLE

Mature/$19.95

Available for the first time in a new trade paperback edition, with supplementary material added especially for this edition. Guy Delisle expertly lays the groundwork for a cultural road map of the Holy City, utilizing the classic stranger in a strange land point of view that made his other books required reading for understanding what daily life is like in cities few are able to travel to. Jerusalem explores the complexities of a city that represents so much to so many, eloquently examining the impact of conflict on the lives of people on both sides of the wall while drolly recounting the quotidian: checkpoints, traffic jams, and holidays. A sixteen-page appendix to the paperback edition lets the reader behind the curtain, revealing intimate process sketches from Delisle's time in the city.

I don't recall if I have this particular book on my shelf -- and it would take me forever to figure it out -- but graphic novels devoted to travelogues or political tourism have become something of a cottage industry. And I've yet to read one where I didn't learn something new.

JIMBO JONES #1 (ONE-SHOT)

Publisher: BONGO COMICS

Writer: NATHAN KANE

Art/Cover: JASON HO, MIKE ROTE

$3.99

Jonesin' for the next One-Shot Wonder? Bongo's bringing you the baddest, BMX-riding bully ever to roam the halls of Springfield Elementary! Hide your lunch money cuz Jimbo Jones is coming your way!

I don't know if I'm more amazed that they can figure out a way to star this minor character for a whole book, or that he has a last name.

JUSTICE, INC.: THE AVENGER #4

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

WRITER: MARK WAID

ART: RONILSON FREIRE

COVER: FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA

$3.99 / Teen + / 32 pages

With Justice, Inc. in shambles, the Avenger must face the Invisible Death alone in the skies over the Eastern Seaboard--and be willing to sacrifice his life to save his country from an outbreak of international war! Industry heavyweight Mark Waid (Daredevil, Indestructible Hulk) takes out all the stops in the latest epic story of globe-trotting adventurer Richard Henry Benson, the Man of a Thousand Faces!

I've enjoyed this book all along, until -- strangely -- this last issue. Some of the narration is too much like the pulps, wordy and overblown. And the medical miracle the Avenger pulls off in an airplane isn't remotely plausible.

But I'm picking nits. "The Invisible Death" neatly re-introduced The Avenger and had some great conceptual moments.

NEIL GAIMAN'S TEKNOPHAGE VOL 1

Publisher: SUPER GENIUS

Writers: NEIL GAIMAN & VARIOUS

Art/Cover: BRYAN TALBOT, AL DAVISON

HC $24.99 / TPB $14.99

The Teknophage, a 65-million-year old reptile, holds the keys to the universe.  An immensely powerful being, Henry Phage has spent his lifetime as a conqueror, using his immense psychic powers and his ability to manipulate wormholes in order to take over planets across galaxies and feed upon the suffering of the denizens within, effectively making himself a god.  From The Phage Building, located on the planet Kahlighoul, The Teknophage plots and plans the expansion of his intergalactic empire.  However, when he turns his sights towards Kahlighoul's sister planet, Earth, the Teknophage encounters a source of resistance that he did not expect.

This was one of the best of the Tekno Comix/Big Entertainment titles that came and went in the mid-1990s. That's not saying much, though, and I'm not sure it needs reprinting. But here it is, in case you're a Gaiman completist.

NINJA SLAYER KILLS VOL 1

Publisher: KODANSHA COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: KOTARO SEKINE

More than a thousand years ago, ninjas belonging to the Soukai Syndicate committed a forbidden form of hara-kiri, and stored their souls in the ancient Kinkaku Temple. Now, in the dystopia metropolis of Neo-Saitama, these sinister souls have been resurrected, and wreak havoc across Japan. Average salaryman Kenji Fukijido's wife and children are killed in a ninja crossfire. After a near brush with his own death, Kenji becomes the Ninja Slayer - a warrior obsessed with killing every last ninja to avenge his family.

Holy Kalashnikov! It's Ninja Punisher!

PROVIDENCE #4

Publisher: AVATAR PRESS INC

Writer: ALAN MOORE

Art/Cover: JACEN BURROWS

Mature/$4.99

Alan Moore's horror event of the year continues to push the limits of the comic book medium with an incredible ad-free 40 page fourth issue!  Robert Black's journey into the heart of the USA in 1919 continues as he finds the citizens of Salem to be most interesting. This work has been researched and developed by Moore and Burrows over the course of several years.  The end result is an amazing tome of Lovecraftian influenced nightmares where Moore has written every cover, every single page, and every nuance of this work to create his most fully-realized vision to date.  Fans of Moore's immersive style and meticulous grasp of storytelling will be thrilled to add this essential piece of comics history to their collections!  Available with Regular, Pantheon, Portrait, Dreamscape Wraparound, Women of HPL, and a special Ancient Tome Incentive cover, all by collaborator Jacen Burrows.

I'm required by the Code of the West to post all Alan Moore books. Well, maybe not the Code of the West, but some kinda Code. Not the Comics Code, of course, because that would be silly. But something involving a Code.

THE SHADOW VOL. 2 #2

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

WRITER: CULLEN BUNN

ART: GIOVANNI TIMPANO

COVER A: BUTCH GUICE

$3.99 / Teen + / 32 pages

As the Shadow continues his crusade against a cabal of magicians, he comes closer to uncovering the truth behind Houdini's message from beyond the grave. But the magicians are bringing in a specialist to eliminate the Shadow--an assassin who uses prestidigitation to lethal effect!

I'm enjoying Bunn's treatment of The Shadow, and Timpano's art is a good fit. I'm not crazy about the bad guys though -- I think writers enjoy writing stage-magician dialogue more than readers enjoy reading it. I'll probably enjoy this book more when this storyline is over.

SWORDS OF SORROW: MISS FURY / LADY RAWHIDE SPECIAL

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

WRITER: MIKKI KENDAL

ART: RONILSON FREIRE

COVER: MIRKA ANDOLFO

$3.99 / Teen+ / 32 pages

When everything is going wrong, sometimes the only person you can trust is a complete stranger. Can Miss Fury and Lady Rawhide put aside their differences long enough to figure out what's really going on?

Dynamite Entertainment, in response to the public's overly positive reaction to Gail Simone's Swords of Sorrow crossover event, is proud to build upon the enthusiasm with an all-new one-shot special entitled Swords of Sorrow: Miss Fury/Lady Rawhide, bringing together two iconic comic book heroines.

The Swords of Sorrow: Miss Fury & Lady Rawhide special unites the rebellious Western heroine of yesteryear with the unpredictable -- perhaps dangerously so -- costumed crime-fighter, whether they like it or not. Written by Mikki Kendall and illustrated by Ronilson Freire, the one-shot comes with a cover by artist Mirka Andolfo.

Regarding Swords of Sorrow and her contribution to the event, Kendall says, "Any time you get a chance to fulfill a childhood dream of writing comic books, it is of course very exciting. To be able to do it as part of the Swords of Sorrow event with such an amazing group of women writers is unreal. When this project first came up, I was afraid to get my hopes up, and I have been pinching myself throughout this process because I get to work with such fabulous writers. Between Gail Simone, Nancy Marguerite Bennett, Leah Moore, Mairghread Scott, Emma Beeby, Mikki Kendall, Nancy A. Collins and G. Willow Wilson, it's like a master class in being a woman in comics. I love being able to take a cheesecake character like Lady Rawhide and show her really getting her hands dirty, and taking Miss Fury on a wild ride right alongside her. Getting to play in a shared world and really let my imagination run wild for the story was so much fun. And the villains ... you have to really love being able to set up such wonderful conflicts for characters that don't get as much love as they deserve.

This was OK, but not the strongest of the team-ups this series has offered. For one thing, I can't get a handle on Miss Fury. OTOH, Lady Rawhide was her usual bombastic self, and they get to fight a Chaos! character, so it had its moments.

X-O MANOWAR #40

PREVIEW AVAILABLE!

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by RAFA SANDOVAL

Cover A by RAFA SANDOVAL

Cover B by TOM FOWLER

Variant Cover by ROBERT GILL  

$3.99 US | 32 pgs. | T+ | On sale SEPTEMBER 2               

“EXODUS” – PART 2! Two peoples. One world. Can a man of war broker peace between Earth and the alien nation it now harbors?

In the aftermath of a horrible tragedy, Aric is trapped between the two worlds he’s sworn to protect. As X-O Manowar, he has made it his mission to protect the Vine’s mass of alien refugees…but his people want them dead … and G.A.T.E. wants them gone! Now, an old enemy will attack Aric at his weakest moment – and the Earth may pay an impossible price for Aric’s loyalty.

EXODUS unleashes a monumental new chapter as New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (Green Lantern) and Rafa Sandoval (X-Men: Legacy) continue the series-defining X-O Manowar epic of the year!

Ran out of time before I could read this one, but it does have a nice preview.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Still a heck of a scroll--both places--but it's certainly easier to read through the list here (and your comments, always my favorite part anyway). Thumbs up from me!

• ADAM.3: I would have missed issue #1 if you hadn’t drawn my attention to it last month, so thanks for that. The logo is nearly indecipherable (until one realizes it’s on its side), but pretty cool nonetheless. I haven’t read #2 yet, but in the editorial of #1 Kollins cites Kirby as an influence. Kirby often said something along the lines of, “If you want to do a comic like Kirby would do, don’t copy Kirby, do something original.” Adam.3 is a wild success judged on that basis. I have no idea what’s goin on, but I’m enjoying the hell out of it. As Li’l Abner would have said, “It’s confoosin’ but amoozin’!”

DONALD DUCK NEWSPAPER STRIPS: If Carl Barks is “The Good Duck Artist,” who is Al Taliaferro?

The new format is fine. Like Mark, I read it mainly for your comments. I know it's time-consuming, but do try to have it up before my Wednesday afternoon trip to my LCS. Reviews of titles such as Adam.3 won't do me any good after I get back.

• Thanks for the comments, fellas!

I usually put the Guide up on Tuesday because a lot of stuff is embargoed until then (Dynamite, IDW). Weirdly, some stuff is embargoed until Wednesday (DC), or sometimes doesn't arrive until Wednesday (Archie & Titan), and I've given up on stuff like that because it was making me wait too long. Then there's Image Comics, which used to put its review copies out on Friday, then it moved to Tuesday night (useless!) but last week it was Friday again. Gah! But I hear you, Jeff: If I can't get something in time to post by Tuesday night, I won't wait for it.

I've toyed with the idea of putting stuff out piecemeal, so that some of it could go up over the weekend, but keeping it all in one place serve everyone's purpose better, doesn't it?

• I think it does. I also enjoy your comments most of all.

Captain Comics said:

I've toyed with the idea of putting stuff out piecemeal, so that some of it could go up over the weekend, but keeping it all in one place serve everyone's purpose better, doesn't it?

• MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM #1: The way I look at it, we've still got a while to wait. #1-8 will reprint #17-24. The run we've been waiting 20 years for won't begin until #9.

Back to the format of the Comics Guide, if you're constrained from posting some material until Tuesday or Wednesday, my vote is to leave it off rather than post piecemeal. What you are allowed to post shold be enough to discuss.

• I could post 12:01 Tuesday morning, and get the bulk of it. Howzat? I've also moved the PREVIEWS link to the bottom of each item, to make it stand out more. There shouldn't be any need to scroll on Facebook; the link should take you directly to the one you want. And I'm doing my best to keep it to a single take.

As to Miracleman, I've got all the original issues, so I've been in no hurry to check out the reprints. I figure I'll wait until it's all done for inevitable high-end collection, that I can keep on my bookshelf.

This reply was deleted.