Comics Guide for September 23, 2015

DARK HORSE COMICS

B.P.R.D. HELL ON EARTH VOLUME 11: FLESH AND STONE (TPB)

Writers: MIKE MIGNOLA, JOHN ARCUDI

Art: JAMES HARREN

Colors: DAVE STEWART

Cover: LAURENCE CAMPBELL

On sale Sept 23

FC, 144 pages, $19.99

TPB, 7″ x 10″

Things seem to be going well for the BPRD. With their alliance with the military, they now have all the munitions they need and, compared to what they faced in New York, an easy mission to clear a small town. But the town has strange connections to Howards’s past as a prehistoric warrior, and more than its share of monsters. This volume collects B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth #125–129.

I'm way behind on my B.P.R.D. -- I've been trade waiting, and the last one I got was a hardback from the frog war. So I'm looking forward to picking up this and other trades, especially since the art has taken a quantum leap forward in quality.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER SEASON 10 #19

Writer: CHRISTOS GAGE

Art/Variant Cover: REBEKAH ISAACS

Colors: DAN JACKSON

Cover: STEVE MORRIS

On sale Sept 23

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Ongoing

With a little help from Willow, Giles is given a second chance at adulthood, and the demon scourge smells weakness. Meanwhile, Buffy and Dawn are reunited with their neglectful father, Hank Summers.

The crossover event of the season: Big meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

I don't have anything to say about this book. I just wanted everyone to see the homage cover of Incredible Hulk #1!

HELLBOUND (HC)

VICTOR GISCHLER (W), DAVIDE DILEO (W), RICCARDO BURCHIELLI (A), LUCA SAPONTI (C), AND LEE BERMEJO (COVER)

On sale Sept 23

FC, 144 pages, $17.99

HC, 7″ x 10″

From creators Victor Gischler (Angel & Faith) and Riccardo Burchielli (DMZ)

When two disgraced FBI agents are sent to investigate gruesome murders along Route 5, they discover there’s a lot more going on than a simple string of bodies left by some garden-variety serial killer. Horrific nightmares are tormenting the small towns along the highway, and only one man in junkyard armor keeps them at bay.

• For fans of From Hell, True Detective, and Se7en.

Kind of a cliched idea, but it looks like the executon might be pretty good.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

HELLBOY IN HELL #8

MIKE MIGNOLA (W/A/COVER) AND DAVE STEWART (C)

On sale Sept 23

FC, 32 pages, $2.99

Ongoing

The Hounds of Pluto Part 2 of 2

A mummified cat, a trial in Hell, and a horrible family reunion stand in the way of Hellboy’s search for a cure.

“Mike Mignola has returned to his signature creation to do the best work of his career in Hellboy in Hell”--The Los Angeles Times/Hero Complex

“The master of modern horror comics.”—IGN

MMMmmm, yummy.

THE HELLBOY 100 PROJECT (HC & TPB)

Art: Various

On sale Sept 23

FC, 120 pages, $24.99

HC, 7” x 10”

On sale Sept 23

FC, 120 pages, $12.99

TPB, 7” x 10”

In the now-grand tradition of Hero Initiative’s previous and wildly successful 100 Project books, Mike Mignola’s signature creation comes to the fore! ALL of Hero’s original covers to Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1952 #1 are on display in this great book, with art by John Cassaday, Francis Manapul, Todd Nauck, Whilce Portacio, Eric Powell, Paolo Rivera, Bill Sienkiewicz, and of course, Mike Mignola!

This book will NEVER be reprinted, and all proceeds go to Hero Initiative and comic book creators in medical and financial need!

I love Hellboy, but I dunno if I really need or want this. Your mileage may vary.

NEGATIVE SPACE #2 (OF 4)

RYAN K LINDSAY (W) AND OWEN GIENI (A/COVER)

On sale Aug 12

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

Our hero is plunged into a terrifying conflict between an emotion-harvesting corporation and the resistance cult that attempts to defy them. But as the mysteries surrounding this secret war darken and deepen, he discovers a new power within himself that could shift the balance in dramatic and unpredictable ways!

• Story by Ryan K Lindsay (Headspace, CMYK) with art by Owen Gieni (Manifest Destiny, Shutter)!

• From suicide note to suicide mission!

Read the first issue, and wasn't really sure where it was going. I'll give it a few more to see if it's anything I can recommend.

THE NEW DEAL (HC)

Writer/Art/Cover: JONATHAN CASE

On sale Sept 23

FC, 96 pages, $16.99

HC, 7″ x 10″

“Case is a master at human expression.”­ -- Newsarama

“One part comedy, one part mystery and one part historical exploration, The New Deal hopes to explore social and political themes of the era in a way that the original films never did.” -- Comic Book Resources

Eisner Award winner Jonathan Case (Green River Killer) is back with his latest original graphic novel, and he’s ready to take readers to an iconic era of American history.

The New Deal harks back to the 1930s and the Depression era of New York City as Case explores class misconceptions, racial tension and deft cat burglary through the lens of a bellhop and a maid in the Waldorf Astoria.

When a charming woman named Nina checks in to the iconic hotel with a high-society entourage, young Frank, a bellhop, and Theresa, a maid, get caught up in a series of mysterious thefts. The stakes quickly grow perilous, and the pair must rely on each other to discover the truth while navigating delicate class politics.

“It’s a fun opportunity because of the comedy caper and crime aspect. It’s seen through these characters that are on the outside of everything that’s happening in the social scenes,” Case told Comic Book Resources. “It’s a really interesting time period, set in 1935, 1936, and there’s a wealth of economic and social conflicts, and exciting things happening at that time, like women’s rights and race relations. Even though it’s a comedy and it’s played mostly for whimsical laughs, I get to explore some of those things I’m interested in.”

Releasing September 23 for $16.99, The New Deal displays Case’s love of black-and-white film through his lovingly researched art.

Praise for Jonathan Case’s Dear Creature:

Dear Creature is sure to be one of the quirkiest and most surprising love stories you will ever read.” -- Gene Luen Yang (Boxers & Saints)

“Case’s B&W art sometimes stretches reality for humorous effect, but keeps even the strangest scenes from feeling merely grotesque. The script also generates a surprising amount of pathos for the lovers’ doomed passion. Startlingly assured for a debut effort.” -- Publishers Weekly

“Case shows that he’s a creator to watch out for, and I hope he keeps doing weird and wonderful comics like this one.” -- Comic Book Resources’ Comics Should Be Good

I was really looking forward to this, and was a little disappointed. The '30s give you a lot of meat to work with: Artistically you've got art deco architecture and elaborate Myrna Loy-style fashions, and story-wise you've got one of the most dramatic backdrops in American history. But this story features a (white) bellhop who is irresponsible and a (black) hotel maid who is not, and they do almost nothing -- which is more than the "star" of the book does, who wears the fashions mentioned above. Really, The New Deal was a pretty empty exercise -- more set-up for a sequel than an interesting story in itself.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

POWER CUBED #1 (OF 4)

Writer/Art/Cover: AARON LOPRESTI

On sale Sept 23

FC, 32 pages, $3.99

Miniseries

GREAT POWER  ...  CUBED

What if you had a piece of technology that created anything you could possibly want, and all you had to do was imagine it? What would you wish for? For Kenny Logan, his first wish is to survive his eighteenth birthday! His unique matter-reinterpreting device has attracted the attention of a bumbling Nazi scientist with plans for world domination and an elite government agent who is hell bent on acquiring the device to stop an alien invasion at any cost. Aaron Lopresti delivers a comical coming-of-age tale in a fantastic sci-fi universe!

A weird and wonderful adventure from the mind of Aaron Lopresti (Planet Hulk, Wonder Woman, Justice League International, Detective Comics).

“Technology, sci-fi, and Nazi scientists -- yep, it’s going to be quite a ride.” -- Bleeding Cool

Huh. The Cosmic Cube gets around, doesn't it?

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

DC COMICS

ASTRO CITY #27

Written by KURT BUSIEK

Art by JOE INFURNARI

Cover by ALEX ROSS

On sale SEPTEMBER 23 • 32 pg, FC, $3.99 US • RATED T

American Chibi has been a mystery since her debut—until now. Learn the secrets behind her origin, her powers and the deadly threat she stands against in an issue featuring the guest art of rising star Joe Infurnari (The Bunker, Jersey Gods). Plus, is this world—or any other—ready for…Chibi Honor Guard?!

What is this an homage to? I want to say Giant-Size X-Men #1, but the positions make me think of some other book that I can't put my finger on. Anybody know?

ASTRO CITY VOL. 2: CONFESSION (HC NEW EDITION)

Written by KURT BUSIEK

Art by BRENT ANDERSON and WILL BLYBERG

Cover by ALEX ROSS

On sale SEPTEMBER 9 • 208 pg, FC, $24.99 US

The classic ASTRO CITY epic is back in a new hardcover collecting issues #4-9 and #1/2! Brian Kinney has left his rural home to seek adventure in the big city – Astro City. After working his way into the super hero scene as a busboy and waiter, Brian attracts the attention of Astro City’s vigilante Confessor. Dubbed Altar Boy, Brian becomes the Confessor’s sidekick. While Astro City suffers under the looming threat of a serial killer on the loose and the city government moves to ban super heroes altogether, Brian questions the actions of his mentor. If that weren’t enough, there just may be an alien invasion looming!

One of the best Astro City stories ever, which makes it one of the best stories you'll ever read.

GREEN LANTERN 75th ANNIVERSARY VARIANT COVERS

Deathstroke #10, Flash #44, Grayson #12 and Sinestro #15.

FREE COUNTRY: A TALE OF THE CHILDREN’S CRUSADE (HC)

Written by NEIL GAIMAN, TOBY LITT, ALISA KWITNEY and JAMIE DELANO

Art by PETER GROSS, CHRIS BACHALO, MIKE BARREIRO and PETER SNEJBJERG

Cover by MARK BUCKINGHAM

On sale SEPTEMBER 23 • 200 pg, FC, $24.99 US • MATURE READERS

“A long time ago, I wrote the first part of a story, and waited to find out how it middled, then worked with Jamie Delano and Alisa Kwitney on the end. For years people have asked how and when they could read all the story of The Children’s Crusade. I’m glad to say that it’s now been retooled and refinished, and is something both old and new – a forgotten jewel and a new delight.”—Neil Gaiman

For the first time ever, the two-issue miniseries THE CHILDREN’S CRUSADE, written by Neil Gaiman, Alisa Kwitney and Jamie Delano, is collected – and with them, a new chapter written by Toby Litt that completes the tale as Gaiman originally envisioned it. 

When several children go missing in a small English town, the Dead Boy Detectives are on the case. A series of strange and unexpected twists takes them to Free Country, a place that dates back a millennium, where children never grow old and are free from the abuse and tyranny of adults. But Free Country is failing, and what it needs is the strength of five innately powerful children – including the young sorcerer Timothy Hunter – to restore their uncanny world to what it once was.

This hardcover collects THE CHILDREN’S CRUSADE #1 and THE CHILDREN’S CRUSADE #2, written by Gaiman with cowriters Alisa Kwitney and Jamie Delano. A brand-new middle chapter written by DEAD BOY DETECTIVES novelist Toby Litt and drawn by artist Peter Gross (THE BOOKS OF MAGIC, THE UNWRITTEN) completes this compelling tale of ancient history, stolen dreams and lost children. It also features a new introduction by Gaiman, plus new cover art by artist Mark Buckingham (FABLES, DEAD BOY DETECTIVES).

This is the only Neil Gaiman story I've read to date where I was unimpressed.

THE JOKER: ENDGAME (HC)

Written by JAMES TYNION IV, BECKY CLOONAN, CAMERON STEWART, BRENDEN FLETCHER, BRIAN BUCCELLATO, FRANK TIERI and others

Art by KELLEY JONES, GRAHAM NOLAN, JOHN McCREA, SAM KIETH, DUSTIN NGUYEN, ROGE ANTONIO, JEFF STOKEY, BENGAL and others

Cover by ANDY KUBERT

On sale SEPTEMBER 23 • 176 pg, FC, $24.99 US

Gotham City is overrun by Jokerized victims, and The Joker himself is prowling the streets. Even as Batman confronts the Clown Prince of Crime, ordinary citizens and Arkham inmates must confront the mark

The Joker has left on the city and themselves. Is anyone truly safe? This jam-packed collection features backup stories from BATMAN #35-39, BATMAN ANNUAL #3, GOTHAM ACADEMY: ENDGAME #1, BATGIRL: ENDGAME #1, DETECTIVE COMICS: ENDGAME #1 and ARKHAM MANOR: ENDGAME #1.

This includes the entire "Endgame" story that ran in Batman, plus the the ancillary stories in related Bat-titles. To tell you the truth, I think you're better off just getting the Batman collection -- the ancillary stories don't add much, plus they keep interrupting the Snyder-Capullo story, which is the best part.

SCOOBY-DOO TEAM-UP #12

Written by SHOLLY FISCH

Art and cover by DARIO BRIZUELA

On sale SEPTEMBER 23 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED E

An urgent cry for help sends Scooby and the gang rushing to Gotham City -- but the call was made by Harley Quinn and Poison Ivy! They stole an ancient relic, and now they’re sure it was cursed. Our heroes have to join Harley and Ivy to get to the bottom of the mystery -- and, with a little help from Batgirl, they just might capture the villains, too!

I'm delighted to live in a world where a comic book like this exists.

IDW PUBLISHING

DONALD DUCK #5

Writers: GUIDO MARTINA, JONATHAN GRAY

Art: GIOVAN BATTISTA CARPI, DAAN JIPPES

Cover: MARCO ROTA

Subscription Variant:DEREK CHARM

FC • 40 pages • $3.99

With great power comes ... no responsibility! In a historic Disney epic making its US debut, Donald becomes “The Diabolical Duck Avenger” -- a super-anti-hero ready to get even with Uncle Scrooge once and for all!

• Long-demanded by fans, the true origin of Donald’s not-so-heroic super identity is here at last!

• Continues this beloved series’ legacy numbering at #372.

• 40 action-packed pages for only $3.99!

• “Disney Legacy” Frontierland cover by Thom Pratt!

These European Duck stories are honestly very good.

DONALD DUCK: SHELLFISH MOTIVES

Writers: ROMANO SCARPA, DICK KINNEY, JONATHAN GRAY

Art: ROMANO SCARPA, MAU HEYMANS, AL HUBBARD, AL TALIAFERRO

Cover: DEREK CHARM

TPB • FC • $9.99 • 96 pages • 6” x 9”

The adventures of Donald Duck return in these kid-friendly-sized collections. Includes the stories “Shellfish Motives,” “Suspicious Customer,” and more!

See above.

ORPHAN BLACK VOL 1 (TPB)

Writers: JOHN FAWCETT, GRAEME MANSON, JODY HOUSER

Art: SZYMON KUDRANSI, CAT STAGGS, ALAN QUAN

Cover: NICK RUNGE

TPB • FC • $19.99 • 124 pages

Sarah’s life was changed dramatically after witnessing the suicide of a woman who looked just like her. Sarah learned that, not only were she and the woman clones, but there were others just like them, and dangerous factions at work set on capturing them all. Now, the mysterious world of Orphan Black widens, with new layers of the conspiracy being peeled back in this miniseries by co-creators John Fawcett and Graeme Manson! Collects issues #1–5.

“Closely related to the television series and manages to make it new-reader friendly as well as offer stuff that fans haven’t quite seen before.” -- All-Comics.com

I keep meaning to catch up on this series. Anybody got a recommendation?

IMAGE COMICS

REYN #8

Story: KEL SYMONS

Art/Cover: NATHAN STOCKMAN

SEPTEMBER 23 / 24 PAGES / FC / T+ / $2.99

Does ERB Inc. know about this cover? Dejah Thoris should sue.

WOLF #3

Story: ALES KOT

Art/Cover: MATT TAYLOR

Colors: LEE LOUGHRIDGE

SEPTEMBER 23 / 32 PAGES / FC / M / $3.50

Freddy's in trouble.

I'm still following this book, although I'm not yet at the point where I will recommend it.

MARVEL COMICS

LAST DAYS TRADE PAPERBACKS

This looks like the tail end of "last days," for those who followed the end of the old Marvel Universe. I'll be getting Black Widow, because I like the character and the series, but you guys will have to tell me if Loki and/or Punisher are any good.

BLACK WIDOW VOL. 3: LAST DAYS (TPB)

Written by NATHAN EDMONDSON

Penciled by PHIL NOTO

Cover by PHIL NOTO

176 PGS / Rated T+ / $24.99

The world has turned against Black Widow. Her web is broken. It’s all been worth it, though, because the path to Chaos is finally at her feet. But can Natasha still turn to the Avengers or S.H.I.E.L.D.? And how far can she travel her brutal road to the answers she needs, while still calling herself a hero? As Chaos looms, an enemy resurfaces with a surprising agenda, and Natasha gets an offer she can’t refuse. This is it: Black Widow goes head-to-head with Chaos at long last! Then, at the end of all things, Black Widow finds herself unexpectedly connected to one of the darkest moments of her past. See how the first lines of red in her ledger were written. Will Natasha fall into darkness? Is it too late for redemption? Collecting BLACK WIDOW (2014) #13-20.

LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD VOL. 3 — LAST DAYS (TPB)

Written by AL EWING

Penciled by LEE GARBETT

Cover by LEE GARBETT

136 PGS / Rated T+ / $17.99

He’s Loki’s older, nastier, vastly more powerful future self. His machinations have cost Loki everything — but who is King Loki? What dread Asgard is he the Agent of? And what evil scheme has he been brewing all this time? Loki began his third life by annihilating the soul of his second — his better, purer self. Now he pays the price. What lie — or truth — will save him now? As the Ten Realms face their last hours, ancient enemies march on Asgardia seeking a final vengeance — including King Loki. It’s all-out war in the heavens! And as the Marvel Universe dies, there’s time for one last story: the showdown you’ve been waiting for! It’s Loki versus Loki at the very end of all that is — and only one will take a bow when the curtain falls! Collecting LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD #12-17.

THE PUNISHER VOL. 3: LAST DAYS (TPB)

Written by NATHAN EDMONDSON

Penciled by MITCH GERADS

Cover by MITCH GERADS

176 PGS / Parental Advisory / $24.99

The Howling Commandos have gone a step too far: They have Frank Castle’s only remaining family sequestered in a Los Angeles hotel. As the city erupts into chaos, Frank brings the fight — and most of L.A.’s gangs — to them! As Frank follows the trail of corruption all the way to the nation’s capital, he finds himself up against a force that will test his morals, his resolve, and his fiber as a soldier. With the Punisher on a government hit list, has Frank walked into the lion’s den? Or can he find the man pulling the strings — before Captain America stops him? Frank Castle is out for punishment, and his long quest for vengeance is nearly at an end. But the clock is ticking — and he plans to go out with a bang, not a whimper. Collecting PUNISHER (2014) #13-20.

FURY: S.H.I.E.L.D. 50TH ANNIVERSARY #1

Writer: DAVID F. WALKER

Art: SCOTT HEPBURN

Cover by MIKE DEODATO

Variant Cover by CHRISTIAN WARD

Action Figure Variant by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER

32 PGS / One-Shot / Rated T+ / $3.99

• A mission 50 years in the making!

• When a villain from the past shows up in the present day, Nick Fury is forced to team-up with Nick Fury Sr.!

• Will the Nick Fury of the present be able to work alongside his father?

I have a morbid curiosity to see what sort of comics/TV S.H.I.E.L.D. amalgam emerges in the new Marvel U.

CLICK HERE FOR PREVIEW!

HOWARD THE DUCK VOL. 0: WHAT THE DUCK (TPB)

Written by CHIP ZDARSKY

Penciled by JOE QUINONES

Cover by JOE QUINONES

112 PGS / Rated T+ / $16.99

Hot off the pages of the…well, the post-credits scene at the end of a popular movie…Howard the Duck is back! Join the foul-mouthed fowl, trapped in a world he never made (but has grown accustomed to) as he takes on weird cases that only a talking duck can crack — as the Marvel Universe’s resident private investigator! Howard’s first case begins with the Black Cat but soon goes cosmic, landing him in the Collector’s clutches! But he’s not alone — Rocket Raccoon is a prisoner, as well! Can these two anthropomorphic animals turn the tables and break free? Well, yeah. Plus: Howard investigates a a senior citizens crime spree, teams up with Doctor Strange for some magical antics and learns a lot about new friend Tara Tam, because communication is key. Plus: a SECRET WARS tie-in! Sort of. Collecting HOWARD THE DUCK (2015) #1-5.

I'm of the opinion that Howard the Duck died when Steve Gerber did. But I'm old -- maybe you youngsters have a different perspective. So is this any good, or can I continue to pretend that Howard is dead?

YEARS OF FUTURE PAST #5

Writer: MARGUERITE BENNETT

Art: MIKE NORTON

Cover by ART ADAMS

32 PGS / Rated T+ / $3.99

• The hour of judgment crashes down with the ruins of New York City as the traitor is revealed

• The last hope of mutantkind must survive the humans, the Sentinels--and the rage of the X-Men

*SECRET WARS SERIES

What's the most "homaged" cover? Fantastic Four #1? Amazing Fantasy #15? Action Comics #1? Whatever it is, The X-Men #141 must be catching up!

OTHER PUBLISHERS

BATMAN: THE WAR YEARS (HC)

Publisher: CHARTWELL BOOKS

Writers: BOB KANE, BILL FINGER

Art: BOB KANE, SHELLY MOLDOFF

$24.99

This new compilation of comic books from the early years of Batman details his involvement in World War II. For many readers, this is the first time ever look at Batman in the war. Batman, created in 1939, the caped crusader, lone mysterious vigilante, brooding anti-hero. He was a great detective and solved crime in Gotham City. Here we see him battling Hitler and fighting the war.

We've talked about this elsewhere on the board. For some reason, Chartwell is reprinting the bulk of the Batman books published during World War II. I have them all already in at least two formats, so I won't be buying this book, but does anybody have any idea why this exists -- or why DC didn't publish it themselves?

BIG HERO 6 MANGA VOL 2 (GN)

Publisher: YEN PRESS

Writer/Art/Cover: HARUKI UENO

$12.00

From Yen Press. The sequel to the #1 New York Times bestselling manga tie-in, based on the Disney animated box-office hit Big Hero 6! Hiro teams up with Baymax to resolve the mysterious disappearance of his brother and role model, Tadashi. With four reliable friends and an upgraded Baymax by his side, Hiro finally confronts the masked man, the one who holds the key to the truth!! Spurred by his desire for revenge, Hiro corners the masked man, but then something goes wrong with Baymax! Can Baymax protect Hiro?! Read the wonderfully miraculous conclusion to the story of a boy and his kind-hearted health-care robot!

Here's another Marvel concept being published in comics form by some other publisher. Weird but true.

BOOK OF DEATH #3 (of 4)

Written by ROBERT VENDITTI

Art by ROBERT GILL and DOUG BRAITHWAITE

Cover A by CARY NORD

Cover B by CLAYTON CRAIN

Cover C by STEPHEN SEGOVIA

Valiant Icons Variant by PERE PEREZ

Artist Variant by PAOLO RIVERA

$3.99 US | 40 pgs. | T+ | On sale SEPTEMBER 23

At last, the force behind BOOK OF DEATH can be revealed ...

On  September 23rd, New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (WRATH OF THE ETERNAL WARRIOR) and blockbuster artists Robert Gill (ARMOR HUNTERS: HARBINGER) and Doug Braithwaite (ARMOR HUNTERS) reveal the sinister mastermind behind the events foretold in the Geomancer's book as Master Darque descends on the Valiant Universe! History's most powerful necromancer has returned with a powerful new ally at his side … and if he can't manipulate the Eternal Warrior and new Geomancer into joining him, he'll destroy human civilization instead!

As the terrible future chronicled in the Book of the Geomancer continues to reveal itself via a series of horrible, unnatural calamities, an unexpected and untold player – Master Darque – has emerged to make his play for young Tama, the latest in the line of Earth-communing mystics called Geomancers. … But does the reappearance of Darque mean that the apocalyptic future foretold by Tama has been avoided …or guaranteed? As the heroes of the Valiant Universe fall and nature itself turns on humanity, all that stands between the devastated planet and ultimate evil is the Earth’s undying Fist and Steel himself …Gilad Anni-Padda, the Eternal Warrior!

"I can tell you that Darque has been waiting a very long time for this opportunity," writer Robert Venditti told io9.com. "He has found a way to access the power of the Geomancer, though only in a limited way, which is absolutely something that he'd like to change. Enter the Eternal Warrior and the new Geomancer, Tama – both of whom have committed themselves to the fight, even if they don't quite know who exactly they're fighting against."

"Master Darque is one of Valiant's most iconic characters, let alone villains, and this is the first time that we will see him unleashed in full on the heroes of the Valiant Universe," said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. "Tama comes from a future where Darque has already succeeded and she knows the darkness that awaits humanity firsthand. But the revelation of Darque as the inciting force behind BOOK OF DEATH is only the first of many secrets that have yet to be revealed in this series… The first appearances of major new characters, defining moments for some of our most prominent heroes, and glimpses of the future that's coming. … This is a series that readers will be returning to for years to come."

On  September 23rd, Master Darque's unnatural conquest of all that is and will be comes head-to-head with the one warrior that would oppose him in BOOK OF DEATH #3 (of 4) by Valiant's all-stars Robert Venditti, Robert Gill and Doug Braithwaite! Featuring covers by Cary Nord (X-O MANOWAR), Clayton Crain (RAI), Stephen Segovia (NINJAK), Pere Pérez (ARCHER & ARMSTRONG) and Paolo Rivera (THE VALIANT), jump on board here to find out why fans and critics are calling BOOK OF DEATH one of 2015's best comic book events:

" Valiant understands how to do summer events right … [BOOK OF DEATH] is still an event people can't miss." -- Comic Vine

" An instantly engaging, intriguing world full of unique characters. … BOOK OF DEATH is turning out to be a perfect jumping-on point for the Valiant Universe." -- Tech Times

" Venditti brings the fireworks. ... Fun and accessible -- perhaps even moreso -- than its caped counterparts over at the Big Two." -- Newsarama

" Spellbinding … Robert Venditti, Robert Gill and Doug Braithwaite are on the right track towards making [BOOK OF DEATH] a Valiant event to remember …" - The Beat

" BOOK OF DEATH remains one of the stronger events of the year; compact and fluid, with excellent storytelling and high-quality art, it's a must-read." -– Comicsverse

I've been enjoying this, despite how depressing it is. For one thing, it's really an excellent showcase for Gilad Anni-Padda, who deserves one.

CLICK HERE FOR A PREVIEW!

BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER #3 (of 4)*

Written by FRED VAN LENTE

Art & Cover by JUAN JOSÉ RYP

INCENTIVE | 24 pgs. | T+ | On sale SEPTEMBER 23

Before BOOK OF DEATH…the coming of humanity’s first Geomancer continues!

Buried deep in a time long forgotten, the hero called Anni becomes history’s fi rst observer—and warrior—for the Earth. But what happens when the Earth just wants humanity dead? Fred Van Lente (IVAR, TIMEWALKER) and Juan José Ryp (NINJAK) finally tell the violent, untold story of the world’s first Geomancer!

ATTENTION FANS – BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER:

• SPECIAL ALL-NEW LIMITED SERIES!

• QUANTITIES WILL BE LIMITED!

• NOT FOR SALE DIGITALLY!

• WON’T BE COLLECTED FOR THE TRADE!

• ASK YOUR LOCAL RETAILER HOW TO ORDER!

* ATTENTION RETAILERS – BOOK OF DEATH: LEGENDS OF THE GEOMANCER:

PLEASE SEE THE DIAMOND DAILY OR VALIANT RETAILER EMAIL TO FIND OUT HOW TO QUALIFY FOR THIS LIMITED RATIO INCENTIVE. QUANTITIES WILL BE BASED ON ORDERS OF BOOK OF DEATH #3 (of 4).

CLICK HERE FOR A PREVIEW!

CALVIN & HOBBES: ATTACK OF SNOW GOONS (NEW PTG)

Publisher: ANDREWS MCMEEL

Writer/Art/Cover: BILL WATTERSON

$14.99

With the help of his faithful stuffed tiger companion and his alter-egos - Spaceman Spiff, Stupendous Man, and Tracer Bullet - Calvin continues to navigate the tricky waters of youth in the latest collection by comic strip genius Bill Watterson. Collection covers strips from July 8, 1990 to April 10, 1991.

More Bill Watterson, for those who, somehow, haven't treated themselves to Calvin & Hobbes. There are two more collections this week, $18.99 each:

CALVIN & HOBBES: THE DAYS ARE JUST PACKED (SC NEW PTG)

CALVIN & HOBBES: THERE'S TREASURE EVERYWHERE (NEW PTG)

COMIC BOOK STORY OF BEER (GN)

Publisher: TEN SPEED PRESS

Writer: JONATHAN HENNESSEY, MIKE SMITH

Art/Cover: AARON MCCONNELL

$18.99

The Comic Book Story of Beer traces beer's influence through world history as a liberating and emancipating force that improved the life of everyday people, beginning with early human's experiments with fermentation all the way up through the contemporary explosion of craft brewing. No book has ever told the story of beer in a graphic format, until this one. Shedding light on abstract subjects like pasteurization, "original gravity," and "lagering," artist Aaron McConnell has a flair for cinematic action and demonstrates versatility in depicting characters and episodes from beer's rich history. Hand-drawn in a classic, accessible style, The Comic Book Story of Beer makes a great gift, and will appeal to the most avid comic book geek and those who live for beer.

For some reason, I'm really attracted to this book.

COMPLETE FLASH GORDON LIBRARY VOL 4: STORM QUEEN OF VALKIR (HC)

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: ALEX RAYMOND

$49.99

Gordon's alive! Continuing the space-bound adventures of Flash Gordon, the original guardian of the galaxy as he strives to save us all from a slew of super-villainy hell-bent on domination, destruction and devilment; including the ruthless, seductive, Storm Queen of Valkir!

Wow! It's been so many years since volume three was published, I thought Titan had quit on us! But nope, here's volume four. It's a great format, so I'm on board with it.

DEBBIE'S INFERNO

Publisher: BIG PLANET/ RETROFIT COMICS

Writer/Art/Cover: ANNE EMOND

$6.00

The first print comic by Anne Emond, creator of the popular Comiques! Debbie thinks it's pretty great to wallow in her comfy bed with her cat, watching TV and eating snacks. Until her room starts flooding with a strange liquid and Debbie is too lazy to escape! Luckily, her cat finally admits it can talk and leads Debbie through a modern Inferno, on a spiritual quest through Debbie's personal states of mind.

I hate to make negative comments on books I haven't read, but this seems like the worst possible idea for a GN I can imagine. Hey, I read Dante's Inferno as a lad, and I've read various parodies, homages and commentaries since. I'm pretty familiar with the source material. So do I really want to see Dante Alighieri replaced in one of Western literature's seminal books by a lonely cat lady? No, I do not.

DEMOCRACY (GN)

Publisher: BLOOMSBURY

Writer: ABRAHAM KAWA

Art: ALECOS PAPADATOS, ANNIE DI

Cover: ALECOS PAPADATOS

$27.00

From the team behind the international phenomenon Logicomix comes a new graphic novel, Democracy, written and illustrated by Alecos Papadatos and in collaboration with Abraham Kawa. Democracy opens in 490 BCE, when Athens is at war. Leander, trying to rouse his comrades for battle, begins to recount his own life, bearing direct witness to the evils of the old tyrannical regimes and to the birth of a new political system. The story that emerges, of the death of the gods and the tortuous birth of democracy, is crammed with extraordinary characters and tells in incident and vivid detail how this greatest of civic inventions came about. We see that democracy was born through a combination of chance and historical contingency - but also through the cunning, courage, and willful action of a group of highly talented and driven individuals.

Given my snobbiness above, I guess I have to say nice things about this book. To tell you the truth, I know less about how the democracy concept evolved between Plato and James Madison than I do about Inferno, so maybe I'll learn something. And, hey, no cats!

FOUR DOCTORS: DOCTOR WHO #5

Publisher: TITAN COMICS

Writer: PAUL CORNELL

Art/Cover: NEIL EDWARDS

Can the Doctors and their surviving companions put time back on the right track? The Doctor Who event of 2015 concludes!

And lo, there shall come an ending.

JOHN CARTER: WARLORD OF MARS #11

Writers: RON MARZ, IAN EDGINTON

Art: ARIEL MEDEL

Cover A Main: BART SEARS

Cover B Variant: ABHISHEK MALSUNI

Cover C Variant: EMANUELA LUPACCHINO

Cover D Subscription: JONATHAN LAU

$3.99 / Mature / 32 pages

ON SALE DATE: September 23

John Carter and Dejah Thoris discover what may well be the key to repairing the dying atmosphere of Mars. But the long-lost technology of the White Martians is not only protected by deadly robots, it's also being sought by other agents who will stop at nothing to retrieve it. John and Dejah might well save Mars, but only if they can save themselves! The start of a two-part story that could change Mars forever!

Dejah needs to go up to that Reyn book in the Image section and take her wardrobe back. The nerve of some people!

PITIFUL HUMAN LIZARD #1

Publisher: CHAPTER HOUSE PUBLISHING, INC

Writer/Art/Cover: JASON LOO

$3.99

Toronto's got a new superhero! And he's pitiful! Lucas Barrett is a 9-to-5 office lackey during the day and a struggling superhero on evenings and weekends. He's also broke. While his job salary is not enough to support his crime-fighting hobby, Lucas finds an alternate plan that may heighten his superhero status. This is the 52-page, full-color debut issue of The Pitiful Human-Lizard!

Bwah-ha-ha!

RED SONJA #18

Writer: GAIL SIMONE

Art: WALTER GEOVANI

Cover A Main: JENNY FRISON

Cover B Variant: ADRIANA MELO

Cover C Subscription: STEPHANIE BUSCEMA

$3.99 / Teen + / 32 pages

Gail Simone concludes her epic run on Red Sonja with the most heart-wrenching event in the life of our heroine! Face-to-face with the man she hates and distrusts most in the world, Red Sonja hears - for the first time ever - his side of the story. The last survivor of the craven murderers who wiped out her tribe finally comes clean at the end of Sonja's blade. But then... something wholly shocking and unexpected happens. Nothing will prepare you for what's to come, as Sonja's infamous blood rage comes to a boil!

This book feels very much like an ending, and I suspect it is -- not only for the title, but Simone's presence as writer.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BATMAN: THE WAR YEARS: “War Years” volumes of Superman, Batman and wonder Woman were all solicited for September 30 release. (Looks as if Batman’s shipping a week early.) I didn’t get the impression from the solicitation that this is a comprehensive collection of “the war years,” but rather a single-volume set concentrating on WWII themed stories. In any case, a $25 hardcover ($16.25 with my pre-order discount) and an intro by Roy Thomas is worth the risk. Besides, I have plenty of friends with kids the right age to appreciate these volumes if I don’t like them. Check back here on Thursday and I’ll let you know.

THE COMIC BOOK STORY OF BEER: I get a bigger discount when I pre-order, but I sometimes end up getting hammered (by product shipping on the same day, I mean, not by beer) on heavy days. My “pre-order cut-off” is usually $20… unless it’s something I think my LCS might not order otherwise. What I’m trying to say is I think I did pre-order this.

FLASH GORDON LIBRARY: Did Titan publish volumes 1-3 in the United States? I know Dark Horse and Checker and Dark Horse (again) all published the Alex Raymond material. No matter. The point is, this volume is supposed to pick up with the post-Alex Raymond era (despite what it says above), and that stuff has not been reprinted to my knowledge.

• We've talked about this elsewhere on the board. For some reason, Chartwell is reprinting the bulk of the Batman books published during World War II. I have them all already in at least two formats, so I won't be buying this book, but does anybody have any idea why this exists -- or why DC didn't publish it themselves?

(1) It's normal for businesses to contract out work. It's not always cheaper to do things in-house, and it ties up capital. DC might bind its hardbacks itself, or it might pay a company to do it. I would think working with a book publisher is a variation on the latter kind of arrangement.

(2) Marvel and DC collections were always done in association with a book publisher before the 80s. Archie's collections are published by IDW.

(3) Apparently, Chartwell Books is an imprint of Book Sales.

(4) Book Sales may have initiated the project.

(5) Book Sales may be better at getting its products into bookstores than DC is. If that's the market DC may consider the volumes to be not really in competition with its own, as they're presumably sold mainly through comics stores.

(6) There might be reasons why the project is financially viable for Book Sales but wouldn't be for DC having to do with where their offices are based etc.

(corrected and altered)

• I don't know if anyone needs the Hellboy 100 Project, but it is for a good cause the Hero Initiative. Which, full disclosure, I've done volunteer work for them off and on for 13? 14? years now

• The Astro City cover seems to be inspired by early issues of Kingdom Come.  The group in the upper left mirrors the perspective of a group including Zeus and Shazam in either #1 or #2 of KC, while the chibi characters seem to be particularly similar to the JSA (Starman, Stargirl) and Captain Marvel.

• Due to circumstances beyond my control I was unable to purchase these today, but they are in my P&H for next time and I’ve flipped through them.

BATMAN: THE WAR YEARS: This is a much larger book than I anticipated, especially for the price. In a market where tpbs (such as Marvel’s “Epic” line) sell for $35, this is a real bargain. The contents are war-themed and from a mix of titles including World’s Finest . The pages are printed on slick paper (which wouldn’t have been my preference.) Roy Thomas’ introduction (which I didn’t read) appears to be continued in the two other volumes.

FLASH GORDON LIBRARY, V4: I confirmed that this volume marks the beginning of Austin Briggs’ Sundays (but I couldn’t flip through it because it’s shrink-wrapped). Austin Briggs drew the Sundays after Alex Raymond and before Mac Raboy. If this series gets up to the Mac Raboy years, I’ll buy those volumes, too. Dark Horse reprinted four volumes of them several years ago, but they were softcover and black & white.

THE STORY OF BEER: In color. (For some reason I thought it was going to be in black & white.) I can hardly wait to drink it… I mean read it.

• Why am I thirsty all of a sudden?

• BATMAN: THE WAR YEARS: Bought last week’s books at my LCS yesterday. The introduction is not continued into the other volumes (as I surmised after a quick flip-through), but rather later in the book. Roy Thomas’ insights are as insightful as always, but I can’t really recommend this book to anyone who already own all of DC’s Batman and Dark Knight Archives. (That’s you, Cap.) For anyone else who has an interest in this era, though, it’s a good opportunity to obtain a number of similarly-themed comics at a relatively inexpensive price.

FLASH GORDON LIBRARY, V4: This volume picks up exactly where the Dark Horse Flash Gordon and Jungle Jim series left off, with no duplication and no omissions. Titan’s volumes one through three presented the complete Alex Raymond (plus the conclusion of Raymond’s final story as drawn by Austin Briggs), but there’s no volume number on the cover or binding, just the years included. It’s a different size than the DH version, but it won’t look as if there’s anything missing when shelved together.

THE STORY OF BEER is pretty good, too, but I’ll likely post something on the main forum when I’ve finished reading it.

This reply was deleted.