Comics Guide: March 27-April 2, 2023

DARK HORSE COMICS

BIG GUY & RUSTY THE BOY ROBOT TP (2ND ED)

• I read the first edition, and found it a mildly entertaining bit of ephemera. That's not a bad thing in general, but when Frank Miller and Geoff Darrow are attached, you expect a bit more.

DRAGON AGE: MISSING #3

HARD BOILED TP (2ND ED)

• Speaking of which: Here are Frank Miller and Geoff Darrow doing what you expect of Frank Miller and Geoff Darrow.

HELLBOY IN LOVE #4

IT’S ONLY TEENAGE WASTELAND #4

LADY BALTIMORE: DREAM OF IKELOS ONE-SHOT

Story: Mike Mignola, Christopher Golden | Art: Bridgit Connell | Cover: Abigail Larson | $3.99

Lady Sofia Baltimore, accompanied by an array of formidable companions, continues her war against the Nazis in an occult alternate Outerverse. High in the frozen Italian alps, a mercenary sorcerer has revealed a dangerous magical artifact. German forces will use it to obliterate Allied forces who stand against them ... unless Sofia and Imogen can take possession of it first. 

Horror genius writing team Mike Mignola and Christopher Golden reunite, with stellar art by Bridgit Connell and colors by Michelle Madsen in a brand-new one-shot story!

• I've enjoyed all the Baltimore stories I've read — prose and comics, Lady and Lord — mainly due to the depressing, terrifying, compelling world in which they take place.
  • If you're not familiar, the concept is this: The massive bloodletting of World War I awakens all the creepy-crawlies of the world which had been a-slumbering. First out of the gate is vampires, but every other kind of horror imaginable — and many I had never imagined — come on their heels. Entire pockets of the world go silent, because something else is in control there. An English officer (Lord Baltimore) mysteriously resurrects — presumably by God, or Heaven, or something — a one-legged warrior with a literal heart of tin and a trusty harpoon. But once his mission is done — to kill the Big Bad behind the vampires who killed his family, and no, it's not Dracula — he finally (and gratefully) dies. His second wife, one of convenience instead of romance, picks up his mantle as the world lurches into the 1930s and 1940s. Nazism arises there as it did here, but is even more evil as it aligns with the dark forces already bedeviling an overwhelmed world on the verge of giving up. It's a grand showcase for the talents of Mike MIgnola and Christopher Golden, and they never fail to thrill me.

MISTER MAMMOTH HC

Dark Horse Books and Flux House Books are proud to bring you Mister Mammoth! This hardcover graphic novel is the English-language debut of the Mister Mammoth saga, written by Matt Kindt with art by Jean-Denis Pendanx.

Mr. Mammoth has solved every case he’s ever had — a perfect record. And he’s the kind of person you don’t forget — a seven-foot-tall pacifist, covered head to toe with an impressive collection of scars he refuses to talk about.

But he might be losing his edge. This new case has him stumped and his obsession with a soap opera actress might just be…unhealthy. This case might destroy his career, but it might hold the clues that unlock the only real mystery he’s ever cared about … his traumatic childhood and the scars he carries.

Mister Mammoth plays with the tropes of detective fiction but by the end, turns everything on its head.

Mister Mammoth is the first-ever original graphic novel from Matt Kindt’s all-new imprint, Flux House, which features crime, science fiction and humor stories, all told in startling and untraditional ways. For Mister Mammoth, Kindt — the bestselling creator of MIND MGMT and DEPT H. — is joined by internationally acclaimed artist Jean Denis Pendanx, who’s making his U.S. debut.

Upcoming Flux House publications will take many forms. Matchboxes! Briefcases! Cards! Don’t miss this first-ever Flux House graphic novel.

The Mister Mammoth hardcover volume will retail for $29.99.

• I know there are a lot of Matt Kindt fans on the board, so y'all let me know what you think of this. I never read Kindt's most famous work — Mind MGMT — so I'm no expert.

SURVIVAL STREET TP

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1053

BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS — GILDED CITY #6 (OF 6)

BLUE BEETLE: GRADUATION DAY #5 (OF 6)

DARK KNIGHTS OF STEEL #10 (OF 12)

DC/RWBY #2 (OF 7)

DETECTIVE #1070

GOTHAM CITY: YEAR ONE #6 (OF 6)

HARLEY QUINN #28

I AM BATMAN VOL 2: WELCOME TO NEW YORK HC

INFINITE FRONTIER TP

LAZARUS PLANET: REVENGE OF THE GODS #2 (OF 4)

PUNCHLINE: THE GOTHAM GAME #6 (OF 6)

SANDMAN UNIVERSE: DEAD BOYS DETECTIVES #4 (OF 6)

STARGIRL: THE LOST CHILDREN #5 (OF 6)

TASK FORCE Z VOL 2: WHAT’S EATING YOU

TIM DRAKE: ROBIN #7

UNSTOPPABLE DOOM PATROL #1 (OF 6)

Story: Dennis Culver | Art/Cover: Chris Burnham | $3.99

THE WORLD'S STRANGEST HEROES ARE BACK IN THE DC UNIVERSE! After the events of Lazarus Planet, more people than ever have active metagenes! Most of these new metahumans have become misfits, shunned and imprisoned by a fearful society. They are hidden away in the dark, lost to a system that only sees them as weapons or guinea pigs — ticking time bombs that can only be defused by the Unstoppable Doom Patrol! Robotman, Elasti-Woman and Negative Man are joined by their brand-new teammates Beast Girl and Degenerate and led by Crazy Jane's mysterious new alter, the Chief, on a mission of saving the world by saving the monsters!

• Doom Patrol reboots over the years have ranged from terrific to terrible. Crossed fingers.

WALLER VS. WILDSTORM #1 (OF 4)

Story: Spencer Ackerman, Evan Narcisse | Art: Jesus Merino | Cover: Jorge Fornes | $4.99

In the early 1980s, as the Cold War stubbornly refuses to thaw, a new battle heats up ... for the soul of the intelligence agency Checkmate. As the agency's super-heroic public face, Jackson King — a.k.a. the armored Battalion, former leader of Stormwatch and the symbol of American might — has long suspected that Adeline Kane is up to dirty tricks overseas, engineering horrors that betray everything he believes about service to one's country. But King doesn't know that Kane has a clever new ally — an ambitious young woman named Amanda Waller. She has her own ideas about how metahumans can serve their country. And honor, dignity and long lives don’t factor into them. ... National security reporter Spencer Ackerman (the Daily Beast, Reign of Terror), comics and video game writer Evan Narcisse (Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Gotham Knights), and veteran artist Jesús Merino (Wonder Woman, The Joker Presents: A Puzzlebox) celebrate WildStorm's legacy of espionage-flavored superhero morality plays, pitting Stormwatch against the deadliest people in the DCU — including Deathstroke himself!

• Wait — if this is a period piece, we know how the story ends, right? (Spoiler: Waller wins.)

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

BARBARELLA: CENTER CANNOT HOLD #2

PIERCE BROWN RED RISING SON OF ARES VOL 3 HC

ROCKETMAN & ROCKETGIRL ONE-SHOT

Story: Jacob Edgar | Art: Jordi Perez | Cover: Leirix | $4.99

New York City, 1940! Masked bank robbers are making a helicopter getaway, and Rocketman and Rocketgirl are on the case! But after failing to apprehend the thieves, the team uncovers a more complex conspiracy ... Nazis hell-bent on stealing rocket technology for themselves! It's super-charged thrills from Jacob Edgar (The Ones) and Jordi Perez (Firefly)!

UNBREAKABLE RED SONJA #5

VAMPIRELLA YEAR ONE #6

IDW PUBLISHING

DEAD SEAS #4

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS SATURDAY MORNING ADVENTURES #1 (OF 4)

In 1983, six unsuspecting kids boarded a magical roller coaster and were transported to the Forgotten Realms…much to the awe and wonder of millions of children every Saturday morning! In celebration of its 40th anniversary, IDW will bring back the heroes of this cartoon classic in March with the new four-issue comic book miniseries, Dungeons & Dragons: Saturday Morning Adventures, a thrilling “lost episode” charting new territory in the world of D&D by writers David M. Booher (Canto), Sam Maggs (Rick and Morty Ever After), and artist George Kambadais (John Carter of Mars)!

Noble ranger Hank, intrepid acrobat Diana, quiet thief Sheila, impulsive barbarian Bobby, fearful cavalier Eric, and uncertain magician Presto only want to get back to their own world. But escaping the Realms has turned out to be much harder than getting there! Danger lurks at every turn, the enigmatic Dungeon Master is less than helpful, and Venger — the force of evil — will stop at nothing to get his hands on the magical weapons that the kids have come to rely on. To top it off, Hank has made a startling discovery: Despite the dangers, Sheila, Bobby, Diana and the others aren’t so sure they want to go home after all!

“As a lifelong D&D fan, it is an absolute dream to get to work reviving a childhood classic,” says Maggs. “It’s been such a blast working with IDW and the fine folks at Wizards of the Coast to home in on what made the Dungeons & Dragons Saturday morning cartoon such a cult favorite. Setting these characters up for a whole new run of stories has truly been a career highlight, and I hope fans will love seeing Uni (well … all our cool kids, but especially Uni) back in action as much as I do!”

“As a kid, I would wake up on Saturday morning, pour a bowl of cartoon-themed cereal, and plop myself in front of the Dungeons & Dragons cartoon. When IDW approached me about writing Saturday Morning Adventures, there was no chance I was passing up the opportunity to help this D&D party face Venger once more,” says Booher. “I can’t wait for readers to pour themselves a bowl of cereal and join us on a thrilling new adventure with Presto, Diana, Bobby and the whole crew!”

“Just imagine being me — a 12-year-old boy in the body of a 38-year-old man — getting to play with some of the coolest yet cutest characters in one of the most immersive universes ever made,” says Kambadais. “I am so lucky, yet so freaking scared as to whether one can ever be enough of an artist to take on this huge of a job. Here’s hoping that I’ll do right by Presto and Sheila (low-key my favorites)!”

“With Dungeons & Dragons: Saturday Morning Adventures, we celebrate the cult classic animated series that introduced so many fans to the Forgotten Realms. George Kambadais’ stunning art reminds us of that beloved old-school animated style while giving it his signature modern flair for the contemporary fan. This new series demonstrates the continued collaboration between IDW and Wizards of the Coast to create never-before-seen D&D comics,” says editor Jonathan Manning.

Each issue of Dungeons & Dragons: Saturday Morning Adventures will feature Cover A by series artist George Kambadais, Cover B by prolific My Little Pony artist Brenda Hickey, and a special retailer incentive cover by Tim Levins (Scooby Doo).

• To repeat what I said about a different D&D book last week: There's a D&D movie coming out, which is probably why this exists.

STAR TREK: STRANGE NEW WORLDS — ILLYRIAN ENIGMA #4

IMAGE COMICS

THE AMBASSADORS #1

Bestselling dream team Mark Millar and Frank Quitely launch the first issue of The Ambassadors with a checklist of white-hot artists handling each of the six interconnected issues. The lineup includes: Olivier Coipel, Travis Charest, Matteo Buffagni, Karl Kerschl and Matteo Scalera — a wish list for any comic book fan.

This six-issue Netflix miniseries will hit shelves as part of the highly anticipated "Big Game" summer event being prepped by Nemesis: Reloaded (with superstar Jorge Jiminez), Night Club with Juanan Ramirez and the brand new volume of The Magic Order — currently being made as a huge live action show for the streamer. The Ambassadors will lead directly into the big 2023 Summer event BIG GAME, where all the Millarworld characters from Kick-Ass, Kingsman, Starlight, Jupiter's Legacy and more come together in a huge adventure drawn by Marvel superstar Pepe Larraz.

The Ambassadors #1 will also feature variant covers by Larraz and Gigi Cavenago and give us a superhero comic unlike anything we've ever seen before.

"The idea for this is actually incredibly simple. Superheroes have always felt very American to the rest of the world, but what if the scientist who cracks the super genome is in Asia? What if this genius billionaire Korean girl launches the world's first real-life super-team from a headquarters in Seoul and it all takes off on the other side of the world with America watching like they watched the USSR putting the first man in orbit? What's exciting is that this opens us up to doing completely fresh kinds of superhero stories and this one has a Willy Wonka appeal," said Millar. "This scientist putting out a message to the world to volunteer their services and say why they deserve superpowers. It's a global competition and only six people will be chosen out of eight billion. It's worked out GREAT and I'm really excited for people to see this. I started working on it back in 2018 and some of the artists are so brilliant and so committed to their work they've spent four years on their single issue. It's going to blow your socks off when you see this."

This new series promises an enormous story about ordinary people from around the world and explores what makes a select few worthy of power.

• This book sounds interesting, but the fact that it creates a universe with a number of books I don't care for is a turnoff. Now that the MCU has built the boat, every Mark Millar and Todd McFarlane wants to jump on board. 

BLOOD STAINED TEETH #10

INDIGO CHILDREN #1

From the critically-acclaimed creative team behind the smash-hit series Youth — Curt Pires, Alex Diotto and Dee Cunniffe — and up-and-comer Rockwell White (Wyrd) comes an all-new, action-packed mystery/science-fiction series.

The new series will also feature a lineup of exciting variant covers featuring artwork by Tyler Boss, Tula Lotay and Jenny Frisson, and the series has already been optioned for a feature film, currently in development from Alan Wake producer Jeff Ludwig.

"I'm ecstatic to be back at Image Comics with Indigo Children — a book that's been meticulously crafted with my closest collaborators Alex and Dee and new members of the team Rockwell and Hassan," said Pires. "We've been working on this book for years — fine tuning and perfecting it and are excited to finally bring it to the world come March 2023." 

White added: "I’m incredibly fortunate to work alongside this creative team for my first long-form comic book. It has been a surreal experience writing these characters and stories with Curt over the years and seeing them realized in such spectacular fashion."

Radiant Black meets The Department of Truth in this epic new story that follows journalist Donovan Price as he hunts down the extraordinarily gifted Indigo Children after their mysterious disappearances 15 years prior. 

"I'm thrilled to be back with Team Youth on this new project," said Cunniffe. "A weird little book which has scratched that X-Files and Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World itch I've had for years!"

Diotto added: "I'm very proud of the work our team has done on this book, and I can't wait for readers to join us in this new adventure!"

• All those words and I still can't tell if this is something I'd like.

KILLADELPHIA #29

LOCAL MAN #2

LOVESICK #6

MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS BEYOND #1 (OF 5)

Story: Derek Landy | Art/Cover: Greg Land

The Avengers will finally realize the shocking truth behind their latest, action-packed adventures when they confront the one and only BEYONDER in AVENGERS BEYOND! AVENGERS BEYOND will continue Derek Landy and Greg Land’s bold Avengers saga as the omnipotent orchestrator behind the groundbreaking original Secret Wars returns with a vengeance and hatches his latest twisted scheme for the Marvel Universe!

In the pages of Derek Landy and Greg Land’s ALL-OUT AVENGERS, readers have been dropped into the middle of some of the Avengers’ most pulse-pounding missions to date with no time for explanation! But fans aren’t the only ones asking questions and Earth’s Mightiest Heroes have realized something or someone has been influencing them for the past several months, altering the very fabric of reality in an attempt to prepare the planet for a threat that could destroy everything. Here, now, this unseen individual is to be dragged, kicking and screaming, from the shadows and into the light — and is revealed as the Beyonder! Something big is coming to the Marvel Universe.

“I am beyond excited to take everything we've done in All-Out Avengers and continue it into its next incarnation,” Landy said. “We're just beginning to brush up against the wider implications of the Beyonder's agenda and the chance to tell this kind of story — the story of gods, the one thing that scares them, and the Avengers caught in the middle — is an impossible dream come true for a kid who grew up with Secret Wars.”

• I always thought The Beyonder was kind of a dumb character. Maybe it's the "Squire of Gothos" swipe, in that he's a naive, child-like manboy with godlike power. Maybe it's the dopey outfit, which looks like his head is sticking out of jet turbine, or a metal grapefruit. Maybe it's the hair.
  • Yeah. It's the hair. Thanks for that, George Perez!

AVENGERS EPIC COLLECTION: ACTS OF VENGEANCE TP

BETSY BRADDOCK: CAPTAIN BRITAIN #2

CARNAGE EPIC COLLECTION: WEB OF CARNAGE TP

CLOBBERIN’ TIME #1

Story/Art: Steve Skroce | Teen | $3.99

It's Clobberin' Time all the time, as Ben Grimm teams up with heroes from across the Marvel Universe for BIG, FIST-POUNDING ACTION! But the stakes have never been higher! In this opening issue, Ben and the Incredible Hulk are stranded on a distant, ancient, alien world, where the duo must protect an ancient people against legions of Deviant hordes and ultimately face the wrath of a Celestial. Luckily, they have four fists between them!

• Marvel PR hasn't said a word about this. Sad. Time was, a new Ben Grimm series was big news.

DAMAGE CONTROL : NEW EMPLOYEE HANDBOOK TP

DAREDEVIL #9

DAREDEVIL EPIC COLLECTION: WATCH OUT FOR BULLSEYE TP

DEADPOOL #5

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #4

IT'S JEFF #1

Story: Kelly Thompson | Art/Cover: Gurihiru

In 2018’s West Coast Avengers, a new Marvel superhero swam into the hearts of fans and hit the Marvel Universe like an adorable tidal wave: JEFF THE LANDSHARK! Since his introduction, Jeff has teamed up with some of Marvel biggest heroes and became a megastar in his own right, even starring in his own Eisner-nominated Infinity Comic on the Marvel Unlimited App. Written by Jeff’s creator Kelly Thompson and brought to life by the amazing talents of Gurihiru, this hit series will be collected in print for the first time this March in Jeff’s self-titled print comic book debut: IT’S JEFF #1! This collection of irresistible short stories will charm readers everywhere along with a brand-new tale exclusive to the issue! 

The ingenious, the extraordinary, the unbearably innocent Jeff chomps his way across the Marvel Universe! You thought it was safe doing laundry or going for a leisurely swim in the pool … but no activity can protect against Jeff’s cuteness! Jeff’s hijinks features a who’s who cast of Marvel characters including the Avengers, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel and many, many more!

"I suspect I'm more excited than anyone to have this print edition in my hands, and I say that while knowing it's probably the single most asked fan question I've gotten over the last year — so I'm happy for all of us that it's finally happening!” Thompson said. “Working on IT'S JEFF with Gurihiru has been pure joy. They are masterful storytellers and are also masters of CUTE. Both vital things when making a mostly wordless comic about an adorable landshark just trying to do the right thing and also to EAT all of the things."

• I guess that second cover is an upside-down-ish homage to the Jaws movie poster?

MOON KNIGHT BLACK WHITE BLOOD TREASURY EDITION TP

MOON KNIGHT MARC SPECTOR OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

• Collects Marc Spector: Moon Knight #1-34, Amazing Spider-Man (1963) #353-358, Moon Knight: Divided We Fall and material from Punisher Annual (1988) #2. I mention this because it's possible to get confused by all the various Moon Knight series.

NOVA RICHARD RIDER OMNIBUS HC

PLANET HULK WORLDBREAKER #5

SABRETOOTH AND EXILES #5

STAR WARS: HIGH REPUBLIC #7

STAR WARS: HIGH REPUBLIC — BLADE #4

STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI — JABBA’S PALACE #1

STRANGE ACADEMY: FINALS #5

THOR #32

THUNDERBOLTS: BACK ON TARGET TP

TRIALS OF X: VOL 7 TP

VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR II #1 (OF 5)

Story: David Michelinie | Art: Farid Karami  | Cover: Paulo Siqueira

This year, Venom co-creator David Michelinie made his epic return to the world of symbiotes in VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR, and the hit series took readers back to Venom’s early days as a wicked web-slinger. Now, prepare for round two as Michelinie is back with another all-new five-issue Venom saga in VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR II!

Known for his legendary run on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN where he introduced and defined Venom alongside Todd MacFarlane, Michelinie knows better than anyone how dangerous Venom can be. Join him for another captivating adventure set in the sinister symbiote’s past when brains — and Spider-Man — were still on the menu! This time, Michelinie will unite with rising star Farid Karami to weave an epic, blockbuster story pitting Venom against one of comic books’ most iconic villains — DOCTOR DOOM!

Swinging from the streets of NYC to the kingdom of Latveria, Eddie Brock is challenged like never before! What (or WHO) will Venom need to overcome the fiercest foe in the Marvel U? One thing’s for certain, this monster’s bringing the mayhem! 

"One of the happiest parts of my career was when I was originating and developing Venom,” Michelinie said. “So returning to that era is like having my own time machine. And to put Venom up against Doctor Doom, my favorite villain ... sweet icing on the cake!"

• Yawn.

BROCK VS. DOOM. 'NUFF SAID! 

WOLVERINE: WEAPON X DELUXE EDITION TP

X-MEN: UNFORGIVEN #1

Story: Tim Seeley | Art: Sid Kotian | Cover: Kyle Hotz | Teen+ | $4.99

MUTANTS ... OR MONSTERS? Beaten, broken and bruised after the destruction of SPIDER-MAN: UNFORGIVEN, the FORGIVEN desperately need a break, but, of course, there ain't no rest for the wicked. Body parts have mysteriously started washing up on the coast of Maine, and these extraneous organs call for help from the extraordinary X-MEN! But with former bloodsucker JUBILEE in tow, the team is risking more than they know?

REBELLION / 2000AD

• It's a big week for our UK cousins, so I'm breaking them out into their own section.

2000 AD PROG #2311

2000 AD PROG #2312 X-MAS SPECIAL

Story: Kek-W, Kenneth Niemand, Mike Carroll, Dan Abnett, Pat Mills, Garth Ennis | Art: Lee Carter, Jake Lynch, Mark Harrison, Simon Bisley, Clint Langley, Warwick Fraser-Combe, Kevin O'Neill | Cover: Greg Staples | $9.99

The Galaxy's Greatest Comic celebrates the festive period with the traditional 100-page end of year special, featuring a brand-new line-up of stories. Judge Dredd faces off against an old enemy that's bust out of containment in "The Last Temptation of Joe"; Proteus Vex must negotiate a full-blown interstellar war in "Crawlspace"; Cyd learns more about her state of being in "The Out" Book Three; ABC Warrior Joe Pineapples reveals his past in "Tin Man"; Rogue Trooper encounters Nort genetic experiments in "Brothers"; and a character from 2000 AD's history comes back to haunt Tharg,. All this and much more!

• There's two more Christmas specials below. I guess it takes a little while for these things to get across the pond.

2000 AD SEPTEMBER PROG PACK (NOV shipping)

2000 AD NOVEMBER PROG PACK (JAN shipping)

A SPELL OF TROUBLE TP

Story: Unknown | Art/Cover: Trini Tinture | Rebellion / 2000 AD | $23.99

Popular, rich and great at school, Carrie lives a charmed life — because, unbeknownst to her classmates, she's a witch! Hailing from a long line of witches and warlocks Carrie has never wanted for anything — that is until her bumbling, nonmagical and anti-magic cousin Angela shows up! And worst of all — if Carrie can't turn Angela into a legendary sorceress she'll lose all her powers! Worlds collide and sparks fly as these cousins have to learn to live together — or else! This comedy classic from British "girls" comic Jinty features a brand new cover by the original artist, Trini Tinturé, as well as another tale, the spooky, insect-infested Creepy Crawley, in a volume perfect for Halloween!

• Another UK character I know nothing about but seems interesting.

FERAL & FOE VOL 1 TP

Story: Dan Abnett | Art/Cover: Richard Elson | $19.99

2000 AD's new sword-and-sorcery hit series from the minds of Dan Abnett and Richard Elson! It is five years after the Last-of-All-War, when the Monarchy succeeded in defeating the Malign Lord. With their leader dead, his minions are scattered, fleeing retribution from the Wretchfinders. Necromancer Bode and warrior Wrath are two such beings, and were offered a deal — hunt and kill their own kind or be declared Feral & Foe. This brand new fantasy series is a must read for fans of Lord of the Rings and Games of Thrones, and players of the legendary Dungeons & Dragons!

• Maybe everybody else already knows this, but Abnett got his start at 2000AD.

FINN ORIGINS TP

Story: Pat Mills, Tony Skinner | Art: Liam Sharp, Kevin Wicks | Art/Cover: Jim Elston | $21.90

Finn is a cab driver by day, and a witch by night, part of a coven dedicated to protecting humanity from the agents of the old "Great One," the ancient intergalactic beings who separated humanity from their beastly nature, and have maintained control ever since. These arcane and anarchic adventures from Pat Mills, Tony Skinner, Jim Elston, Kevin Wicks and Liam Sharp are collected for the first time.

• So are we just dropping "warlock" as a male witch and just going with "witches" for both genders now? I see that a lot.

JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE #450

JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE #451

JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE #452

MONSTER FUN CHRISTMAS SPECIAL

Story: Cavan Scott, Juni Ba, Simon Furman, Ned Hartley, Chris Garbutt, Tom Paterson | Art: John Lucas, Dan Boultwood, Juni Ba, Laurent Lefeurve, Chris Garbutt, Tom Paterson | Cover: Various | $6.99

As the night draws in and the cold wind chills the air, the Monster Fun Christmas special is here to warm your spirits! Santa Claws has come early, delivering 32 pages of comics, competitions, and gags to keep you giggling into the new year!

MONSTER FUN GHOULISH GAMING SPECIAL 2023

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Matt Baxter | $6.50

Welcome to the next level of Monster Fun mayhem! Chockful of data-biting chuckles, this video game themed issue stars all of your favourite strips such as Kid Kong, Hell's Angel, Steel Commando, The Leopard from Lime Street, Hire A Horror, as well as a few new frightful faces! Boot up and get ready to overload your hard drive with the latest issue of Britain's best creature comic!

STEEL CLAW: COLD TRAIL SUPER PICTURE LIBRARY HC

Story: Tom Tully | Art/Cover: Jesus Blasco | $19.99

The Steel Claw, Louis Crandell, is assigned by the chief of the Shadow Squad to protect the four most important nuclear scientists as they meet for a secret conference. The assignment goes badly wrong, as the scientists are frozen solid, and their assassin chooses death over arrest The Steel Claw must redeem his reputation and find out who ordered the assassination. This cold war thriller is pure '60s spy adventure story drawn in a graphic noir style by Jesus Blasco.

• Looks like Jonathan Frid photo reference!

STEEL CLAW VOL 2: REIGN OF BRAIN TP

Story: Tom Tully \ Art/Cover: Jesus Blasco | $18.99

One of Britain's most enduring comic book heroes returns in two stories reprinted here for the first time! The second collection of the sci-fi classic, The Steel Claw collects writer Tom Tully's first two stories originally published in the comic Valiant between 1963 and 1964. Featuring the stunning, realistic black and white art of Spanish comics' legend Jesus Blasco!

• I wouldn't mind a nice, big Steel Claw omnibus, so I could get a comprehensive grasp of a character I know little about.

STRONTIUM DOG: THE SON GN

Story: John Wagner, Alan Grant | Art: Rob Williams, Laurence Campbell | Art/Cover: Carlos Ezquerra | $18.99

Johnny Alpha is assigned to mentor Kenton Sternhammer, one of the new recruits to the ranks of the Strontium Dogs. Johnny knows that Kenton Sternhammer is his old partner Wulf's offspring and while Kenton understandably wants to follow in his father's footsteps, Johnny is reluctant to allow it, knowing the fate that has befallen many a Strontium Dog, including Wulf, a death which still eats away at Johnny's conscience. This brand-new collection showcases all-time comics legend Carlos Ezquerra's final work on the character he co-created for Starlord in 1978, drawn before his death in 2018.

• I'm more familiar with this character. Can't say he ever did much for me.

PS ARTBOOKS

• This publisher is also having a big week. I know this isn't everybody's thing, but I gobble up all the hardcovers, most of which contain comics from before I was born.
  • Recently PS Artbooks has been pushing a lot of "Softee" books — what everybody else calls trade paperbacks — and I have just been assuming that they replicated material I already had in HC. And often they do. But this week I looked up two, and they were Softee-only. It appears I'm going to have to be more careful going forward with Softees, looking up each new release to see if they have "original" material or not.

GOLDEN AGE CLASSICS RANGERS OF FREEDOM VOL 1 HC/Softee/Slipcase

PRE CODE CLASSIC ADVENTURE COMICS VOL 6 HC/Softee/Slipcase

PRE-CODE CLASSICS WEIRD HORRORS VOL 1 SOFTEE

PS ARTBOOKS PLANET COMICS VOL 17 SOFTEE

PS ARTBOOKS PRE-CODE CLASSICS SPOOK VOL 2 SOFTEE

PS ARTBOOKS PSYCHO MAGAZINE #3

PS ARTBOOKS SPACEMEN MAGAZINE VOL 2 SC

PS ARTBOOKS SPACEMEN MAGAZINE FACSMILE #1

PS ARTBOOKS SPACEMEN MAGAZINE FACSMILE #2

PS ARTBOOKS SPACEMEN MAGAZINE FACSMILE #3

PS ARTBOOKS SPACEMEN MAGAZINE FACSMILE #4

PS ARTBOOKS SPACEMEN MAGAZINE FACSMILE #5

PS ARTBOOKS SPACEMEN MAGAZINE FACSMILE #6

PS ARTBOOKS SEVEN SEAS COMICS VOL 1 SOFTEE

PS ARTBOOKS THE THING FACSMILE ED #13

PS ARTBOOKS THE THING FACSMILE ED #14

PS ARTBOOKS THE THING FACSMILE ED #15

RACE FOR THE MOON: THRILLS OF TOMORROW SOFTEE

SCREAM MAGAZINE #76

SILVER AGE CLASSICS KONGA VOL HC HC/Softee/Slipcase

SILVER AGE CLASSICS STRANGE SUSPENSE STORIES VOL 6 HC/Softee/Slipcase

TITAN COMICS

• Here's another publisher with a big week. Is it summer already?

ASTRONEER COUNTDOWN GN

Story: Dave Dwonch, David Pepose, Jeremy Lawson, M. Goodwin | Art: Xenia Pamfil, Eryk Donovan, Jeremy Lawson, and M. Goodwin | Titan Comics | 112 pages | $13.99

For fans of the hugely successful Astroneer videogame, comes an all-new, all-ages adventure set in developer System Era’s universe! Inside each graphic novel, readers can redeem a unique, exclusive cosmetic game code!

When bored young Astroneer Seven plucks a mysterious crystal from the planet Boreas he is catapulted across time and space!

But the intrepid young adventurer has got bigger problems — by taking the crystal the very fabric of the planet starts to unravel threatening to start a chain reaction that could destroy the entire universe!

Now, Seven and his ragtag crew of Astroneers must traverse the infinite to get the crystal back to Boreas before it’s too late! The countdown has begun … and it’ll take more than one plucky Astroneer to solve this astronomical problem!

“It's Adventure Time meets Invader Zim. A joyous, candy-colored odyssey injected with heart, hope, and humor.” — Jeff Spry (Space.com)

DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE #585

KAMEN RIDER ZERO ONE #3

Story: Brandon Easton | Art: Hendry Prasetya | Covers: Miguel Mercado, Nahuel Grego | Titan Comics | 32 pages | $3.99

NEW COMIC SERIES OF THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF THE NEW TOKUSATSU TV SHOW KAMEN RIDER ZERO-ONE!

Aruto Hiden is KAMEN RIDER ZERO-ONE! Along with his trusty humagear companion Izu, he’s saved the world numerous times as the insectile superhero! But when his company HIDEN INTELLIGENCE is attacked by the mysterious RAGNAROK, Aruto must not only face the volcanic cluster cell-powered villain but also his own past.

Z2 COMICS

• Dare I say it? Yes, another publisher with a big week. But this publisher launched as a Bill Jemas joint, so I'm pre-inclined to not pay any attention.

ALTER BRIDGE TOUR OF HORRORS HC

BEARTOOTH THE JOURNEY BELOW

BOBBY DIGITAL AND PIT OF SNAKES HC

GRAHAM COXON SUPERSTATE GN

LAST COMIC BOOK ON THE LEFT VOL 1 TP

MELISSA ETHERIDGE HEARTSTRINGS GN

VINCE STAPLES PRESENTS LIMBO BEACH

MANGA

ASUMI CHAN IS INTERESTED IN LESBIAN BROTHELS VOL 2 GN

BOX OF LIGHT VOL 2 GN

DAI DARK VOL 5 GN

FESTIVAL OF SHADOWS JAPANESE GHOST STORY GN

FIRE FORCE OMNIBUS VOL 3 VOLS 7-9 GN

FIST OF THE NORTH STAR VOL 8 GN

HIGEHIRO AFTER BEING REJECTED VOL 7 GN

I HEAR THE SUNSPOT FOUR SEASONS GN

KONOHANA KITAN VOL 12 GN

LES MISERABLES OMNIBUS VOL 2 GN

MULTI MIND MAYHEM VOL 7 GN

NO 6 OMNIBUS VOL 2 (VOL 4-6) GN

SAYONARA FOOTBALL VOL 16 GN

SEVEN DEADLY SINS MANGA BOX SET VOL 4

TOMBS JUNJI ITO STORY COLLECTION HC

VILLAINESS & DEMON KNIGHT VOL 1 GN

WELCOME BACK AUREOLE GN

WHEN WILL AYUMU MAKE HIS MOVE VOL 10 GN

WHY DON’T YOU EAT ME MY DEAR WOLF GN

WISTORIA WAND & SWORD VOL 3 GN

MORE COMICS

ALLEY OOP AND TIGER TAIL TRANSPLANT TP

• Comic strip reprints fans rejoice!

AMERICAN BORN CHINESE MOVIE EDITION GN

• There's a movie coming out. If you haven't read this yet, you probably should.

ANCIENT ENEMIES #3 (OF 6)

APPROACH #5

ARCHIE MILESTONES JUMBO DIGEST #19 JUGHEAD FUN AND GAMES

Script: Various  | Art: Various | Cover: Dan Parent, Bob Smith, Rosario “Tito” Peña | 192 pages | $8.99

From time travel to life lessons and everything in-between, this digest highlights the best and brightest Jughead moments and stories — with plenty of snacks and shenanigans along the way! 

• Full Samm Schwartz story below!

AV TEAM UP: CEREBUS & WOMAN-THING ONE-SHOT

BACK ISSUE #142

BEAUTY AND FEAST VOL 7 GN

BLACK PHOENIX VOL 1 GN

Story/Art: Rich Tommaso | Floating World Comics | $14.95

Black Phoenix is, at its core, a contemporary comics magazine featuring original characters and stories of various comics genres-all dreamed up by its sole author, Rich Tommaso. Don't be fooled by the pseudonyms inside-he changes names as often as drawing styles. But, the magazine is also like a walk through comics history itself. Each volume of these golden age, pulp styled digest anthologies is headed up by a long-form comics adventure which is backed up by a bunch of short-form comicsin the same genre or flavor.

• This sounds interesting, but I don't think it's $15 interesting.

BLAKE & MORTIMER VOL 29: EIGHT HOURS IN BERLIN GN

BUCK DANNY CLASSICS VOL 1: SABRES OVER KOREA GN

BUCK DANNY CLASSICS VOL 2: DUEL IN MIG ALLEY GN

BULLS OF BEACON HILL #3

CAVEWOMAN: RETURN TO MARKHAM'S MANSION ONE-SHOT #1

DAHLIA IN THE DARK #4 (OF 6)

DOCTOR WHO: DALEKS ULTIMATE COMIC STRIP COLLECTION VOL 2 TP

DONT SPIT IN THE WIND #1 (OF 4)

Story/Art: Stefano Cardoselli | Mad Cave Studios | $4.99

One man's trash is another man's living. Since earth became inhospitable, humanity escaped ages ago to live in a space station floating above the atmosphere. Now Travis and his crew of garbage men are tasked with cleaning up mountains of toxic waste, working for a company called Atomic Bros INC., to create a "Clear World." But when one of Travis' crew members goes missing near an old nuclear facility Travis' job becomes a bit more complicated.

THE EDGE #1

Story:Marvin Wynn | Art/Cover: Mark Louie Vuycankiat | Comicsburgh | $3.99

Infected by the super steroid The Edge, Revenant is on a rampage to eliminate Richard Tartabull. Can the strike team placed between them stop Revenant? Or will they all spread the infection of The Edge further?

• Since the front three characters look like Starfire, Cyborg and Nightwing, I think we can figure out the creators' inspiration.

ELRIC SAGA VOL 1: ELRIC OF MELNIBONE HC (PROSE)

Michael Moorcock | Gallery | $29.99

From World Fantasy Lifetime Achievement Award-winner Michael Moorcock, comes the first book in his famous Elric of Melniboné series, brought to vivid new life with stunning illustrations. In one of the most well-known and well-loved fantasy epics of the 20th century, Elric is the brooding, albino emperor of the dying Kingdom of Melniboné. With Melniboné's years of grandeur and decadence long since passed, Elric's amoral cousin Yrkoon sets his eyes on the throne. Elric, realizing he is his country's best hope, must face his nefarious cousin in an epic battle for the right to rule. Elric of Melniboné is the first in Michael Moorcock's incredible series, which created fantasy archetypes that have echoed through the genre for generations. The beautiful, vivid illustrations bring new life to the story and are sure to captivate fans, new and old.

• If they're reprinting this whole series in hardback, I may have to get it.

E RATIC RECHARGED TP

EVERYTHING SUCKS: REAL GAMER HOURS ONE-SHOT

THE EXILED #2 (OF 6)

FART SCHOOL HC

Story/Art: Mel Stringer | Silver Sprocket | 200 pages | $24.99;

Mel imagines collaborating with other artists in a vibrant community, honing her craft, and becoming an accomplished artist. But it turns out that art school isn't quite the same in real life. Based on the author's experience attending art school in the early 2000s, this funny, heartfelt book will resonate with anyone with a youthful dream — or a DeviantArt account.

• Ha! I didn't have to go to school to learn how to fart! I was a natural!
  • Here's a preview.

FLESH-EATING CHEERLEADERS ART BOOK

• Shouldn't this be a cookbook?

GODFELL #2

GRANITE STATE PUNK #1

Story: Travis Gibb | Art/Colors: Patrick Buermeyer | Letters: Jerome Gagnon | Editor: Heather Gibb | $499

Granite State Punk is a rare, gritty look at witches, New Hampshire, addiction and punk rock told by Zeke ... a hardcore punk rocker who is on probation and trying to stay sober. He's not afraid to break the fourth wall and speak directly to the audience, and man, does he have a lot to say.

Zeke lives and breathes punk rock, and is not about to conform to the absurdities of the world around him. He has just been released from prison for one too many poor life choices, and is now living in the last place he ever wanted to be ... his dead parents' house. For years, Zeke tried to drown every ounce of the memories of this place and his messed-up childhood. While on an ankle monitor, he tries to find meaning to his life with his girlfriend Ember, who is secretly stealing his soul in order to unlock deep secrets of his family origins. Zeke is now forced to confront his past, and face the revelation that his history is filled with the occult, dark magic, and its connection to New Hampshire's most historic landmark, The Old Man of the Mountain.

"Granite State Punk is such a personal story to me," Travis Gibb said. "I have written more than a few comics in the last few years, but none have been set in my hometown of Rochester, New Hampshire. I believe this is the best book that I have ever written, and it's a dream come true to publish this book with SCOUT COMICS, the home of some of my favorite published comics in recent years." 

Granite State Punk is a gut-punch of a comic. Travis Gibb writes with brains and balls as he introduces us to the grimy world of Zeke, a character whose voice evokes classic Vertigo grit while delivering something whole, honest and original — something new. The occult has never been darker than in the kinetic art by Patrick Buermeyer, who nails the humorous and emotional beats while delivering constant nightmare fuel. That right there is a powerful team.” — Pat Shand (Destiny NY, Azza the Barbed)

"Granite State Punk is Travis Gibb doing what he does best. It’s pure punk, witchcraft and a hell of a good read. It’s an emotional story about loss and estrangement from family, and about the secrets that family has hidden from their child. This story breaks the fourth wall and does not give a flying F about it. It’s an important story about addiction and the cycle that addicts can find themselves in, but it’s also a story about witches and the mythical power of The Old Man of the Mountain (a landmark of New Hampshire)." — Jeremy Sparks (You Promised Me Comics)

• "... his girlfriend Ember, who is secretly stealing his soul ..." Oh, like he's using it for anything. He'll never miss it!
  • I think I've outgrown any curiosity I might have had about this lifestyle.

GREAT GATSBY #7

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #70

HEART EYES #5

HEAVEN’S DESIGN TEAM VOL 8 GN

THE HEAVY BRIGHT HC

Cathy Malkasian | Fantagraphics | 340 pages | $34.99

In this allegorical, fantastical graphic novel, a queer young woman aims to dispel the greed and cruel masculine energy that has consumed the world.

Once, the world lived in harmony. People trusted and aided each other, dreamed freely, and communed with their ancestors. And then one day the eggs appeared. One thousand black eggs, heavy as pure lead, which by some mystical property, provoked greed and violence in all who came in contact with them. A family of brutish men managed to hoard the eggs and build a misogynistic dynasty that held all of the land in an iron grip. Years later, Arna, an orphaned young woman immune to the beguiling power of the eggs, is charged with a monumental mission: hunt down these formidable men, pilfer their eggs and release the bright from the heavy. Along the way, she falls for the enchanting Sela, who shows her how beautiful the world can be.

In The Heavy Bright, masterful cartoonist and animator Cathy Malkasian propels the reader into a lushly watercolor, Ghibli-esque fantasy world tinged with equal parts whimsy and menace. Her characters are vulnerable and relatable, made real through deep, psychological underpinnings. Perhaps Malkasian’s most ambitious and impactful work to date, The Heavy Bright is an allegorical graphic novel that grapples with the themes of greed, corruption, ignorance and bigotry, toxic masculinity, female empowerment, gender and queerness, love, death and the urgent necessity for all to come together to heal our ailing world.

"What works is the world Malkasian has created: soft, swooping vistas seen from a variety of perspectives and frames as rich as the diverse and eccentric cast of characters, and epitomizing the message of the small and local and true being truly the biggest things." — Broken Frontier

"Malkasian continues to demonstrate bravura storytelling skills." — Booklist

"Malkasian's gentle pencil drawings, reminiscent of Raymond Briggs's The Snowman, are simultaneously magical and reflective of aspects of humanity. Allegorical, surreal and thoughtful, [Malkasian's work] is recommended for readers who prefer comics with philosophy as a side." — Library Journal

"Allegories are thick as fog in Malkasian's gloriously imagined fantastical fables." — Publishers Weekly

• I find that most allegories and metaphors aren't as clever as the writers think they are. But then, I never got around to Finnegan's Wake.

HEY KIDDO HC (NEW PTG)

Story/Art: Jarrett J Krosoczka | Graphix | $27.99

The powerful, unforgettable graphic memoir from Jarrett Krosoczka, about growing up with a drug-addicted mother, a missing father, and two unforgettably opinionated grandparents.

In kindergarten, Jarrett Krosoczka's teacher asks him to draw his family, with a mommy and a daddy. But Jarrett's family is much more complicated than that. His mom is an addict, in and out of rehab, and in and out of Jarrett's life. His father is a mystery — Jarrett doesn't know where to find him, or even what his name is. Jarrett lives with his grandparents — two very loud, very loving, very opinionated people who had thought they were through with raising children until Jarrett came along. Jarrett goes through his childhood trying to make his non-normal life as normal as possible, finding a way to express himself through drawing even as so little is being said to him about what's going on. Only as a teenager can Jarrett begin to piece together the truth of his family, reckoning with his mother and tracking down his father. Hey, Kiddo is a profoundly important memoir about growing up in a family grappling with addiction, and finding the art that helps you survive.

HIDE OR SEEK: SUPERPOWER PROTECTION PROGRAM SC (PROSE)

Story: Dan DiDio, Anthony Maranville, Chris Silvestri | Permuted Press | $21.00

Nick Pappas — a teenage boy with nascent superpowers — has his world turned upside down when he's taken into witness protection after his superhero father is murdered on national television. But things are not what they appear to be in the small town he's relocated to. He soon discovers that, not only is it populated with family members of super villains, but it's also a prison and he's considered one of its most dangerous inmates. He can't be sure who to trust, and to make matters worse, he's developing powers of his own — with no way to control them.

• So this is where Dan DiDio ended up!

HIGHBALL TP

Story: Stuart Moore | Art/Cover: Fred Harper | Ahoy Comics | $17.99

Guardians of the Galaxy meets The Hitchhiker’s Guide for “a world of laughs and no-holds-barred satire” (ScreenRant). Meet Highball, the best shot in the galaxy, with one big problem: he can only hit the target when he’s dead drunk! In his quest to save the galaxy — or maybe just do his job — Highball faces off against a fierce but alluring bird-warrior, a disturbingly racist A.I., a crypto-obsessed fellow pilot, and, of course, his own shameful inadequacies. Collects all 5 issues of the comic book series written by Stuart Moore (The Zodiac Legacy) with art by Fred Harper (Snelson) and colors by Lee Loughridge.

• Heads up, Ahoy fans!

A HISTORY OF MODERN MANGA HC (PROSE)

Prose | Insight Editions | $39.99 

The history of manga is inextricably linked to the social, economic, political and cultural evolution of Japan. Essential to the daily lives of its inhabitants and to its economy, manga is one of the drivers of the international development of one of the world's largest economies. How did the manga market reach one billion copies annually in less than half a century? Who are the major players in this incredible expansion? Discover, over the pages and years, the major events and artists who have marked the history of modern manga in this new, updated and expanded edition.

• This sounds fascinating. I probably won't get it, as I don't know where I'd get it, short of ordering it on Amazon, which already gets enough of my money. If I stumble across it at In Stock Trades or Thrift Books or someplace I'll snatch it up.

JALISCO LATINA SUPERHERO TP

Story: Kayden Phoenix | Art: Various | Phoenix Studios | $14.99

Jalisco, a humble Mexican girl, tries to find her stolen mom. On her journey, she's saved by the Adelitas who train her and give her a folklorico dress with blades at the hems. Jalisco goes after Malinche, the leader of the femicides, using her culture as a weapon. A peasant sets out to find her stolen mom but ends up stopping a statewide femicide, becoming Mexico's first superhero.

• This is one of two new Latina super-character GNs out this week. (See Santa Latina below.) Is March Latin Month, as well as Women's Month, or is it just a coincidence?

KARMAN LINE OGN

Story: Dennis Hopeless | Art/Cover: Piotr Kowalski | Mad Cave Studios | $17.99

It's all sex, lies and betrayal on a reality show streaming from the International Space Station until the crew receives a message reading "ABORT MISSION AND GET HOME NOW." Things unravel quickly as they find their shuttle damaged and a crew member dead. They'll have to fight to survive and escape ... with cameras recording everything.

LIQUID KILL #2 (OF 6)

LOVECRAFT UNKNOWN KADATH #7

LUCKY LUKE VOL 82 RIN TIN CANS ARK TP

MIRACLE KINGDOM #1

Story: Michael David McCarthy | Art:  Alonso Molina Gonzales | Colors:  Ichsan Ansori | Letters: Lucas Gattoni | Cover variant: Gioele Filippo | Scout Comics | $4.99

When a blue-collar angel and his trusty cherub sidekick sniff out a series of unexplained wonders performed by a sham televangelist on Earth, they unwittingly discover a foul plot that suggests Heaven just may be going to Hell in a handbasket!

Have you ever prayed for something stupid and meaningless, like finding a parking space or getting to work on time?  Or have you ever made a heartfelt plea for a miracle or something life changing?  What if I told you every word is not only heard, but also tallied, approved and debited by an accountant in Heaven?  Welcome to the Department of Divine Intervention, where the outcome of the universe is just another day in the office.  From the mailroom where incoming prayers are sorted, to the courtrooms where the merits of miracles are tirelessly debated — it’s all a perfectly woven system, or at least it’s supposed to be.

In the realm of televised faith healing, nothing makes a televangelist break into nervous sweat quite like a well-meaning accountant ready to audit the church books.  In fact, such a prospect could darn-near scare the red out of the devil!

Meet Lester Benny.  Outrageous on-air personality.  Impassioned pastor.  And to his flock, a savior with a divine gift to cure any disease or curb any ailment.  Assuming, of course, the applicable “charitable” donation has been generously met.

Enter Winston Donovan, a quiet, enigmatic bean counter with a flair for the vintage and little tolerance for chicanery.  When a desperate mother urges Winston to rescue her son from a cultish church, Winston accepts the case and sets off on a mission to expose Lester Benny as a two-bit charlatan.

Oh, but do take care when pulling at threads.  Some answers were hidden by design.  And meant to stay that way.

“Things are not always as they appear, especially in this first issue of MIRACLE KINGDOM.  Slightly absurd and playfully self-aware, MIRACLE KINGDOM is a mystery with some big secrets smoldering beneath the surface. Ultimately, this series is a tongue-in-cheek look at the clandestine systems that impact our lives and considers how these systems can be challenged.

"Assembling my very first comic series has truly been an international effort and a satisfying process.  Our team is thrilled to partner with Scout Comics, deftly guided by our Editor, Andrea Lorenzo Molinari, to bring this off-beat story to the public.  We’ve built an interesting mythos and look forward to the readers pulling back the layers to explore it.”

MMPR TMNT II #4

MONSTER TAG TEAM #1

Story: Konstantine Paradias | Art: Gerardo Gambone | Cover: Neil Vokes | American Mythology | $3.99

It's a brand-new series in the vein of classic team-ups and two-in-one comics - this is MONSTER TAG TEAM!  Two monsters — one rampaging story — all horror!  In this debut issue called "Wolfe And Bat" — mortal enemies and clashing world powers collide in an over-the-top monster battle royale!  In a Cold War that's gone occult, the international terror organization WARLOCK schemes to destroy human civilization. Faced with this new breed of unstoppable sorcerous criminal, West and Soviet agencies put their two best creatures on the case: Jesse Walker, a CIA-trained werewolf and Vlad Dracul, KGB's top vampire, team up to destroy WARLOCK's chief Magister before he can unleash Fimbulwinter on humanity. This issue comes with four covers — Main by Copper Age legend Neil Vokes, Corpse Crew homage cover by Buz Hasson & Ken Haeser, Painted cover by Mark Sparacio, and a special 100 copy Century limited edition!

• It's Classic Monster Team-Up! 
  • That third cover is an homage to Marvel Team-Up #37, which starred neither Dracula nor Werewolf by Night. Instead, it featured Spider-Man and Man-Wolf! The homage even managed to reproduce that lovely John Romita Sr. sheen. (He inked the MTU cover, over Ed Hannigan.)

MY BAD VOL 2 #5 (OF 5)

Story: Mark Russell, Bryce Ingman | Art/Cover: Peter Krause | $4.99

The superhero satire by Mark Russell (Not All Robots), Bryce Ingman, and Peter Krause reaches its climax! When alien lizard people threaten to invade Earth, the greatest heroes and villains of The Important New Superhero Universe launch a defense! But whose rocket will they take to outer space? The Chandelier’s? Or Emperor King’s? You would think the fate of the world depended on the answer!

• Heads up again, Ahoy fans!

MYTHS & LEGENDS: BLACK KNIGHT — FATE OF LEGENDS

OCTAVIA BUTLER KINDRED HC (NEW PTG)

Story: Octavia Butler, Damian Duffy | Art/Cover: John Jennings | Abrams ComicArts | $26.99

More than 35 years after its release, Kindred continues to draw in new readers with its deep exploration of the violence and loss of humanity caused by slavery in the United States, and its complex and lasting impact on the present day. Dana, a young black woman, is suddenly and inexplicably transported from her home in 1970s California to the pre-Civil War South. As she time travels between worlds, one in which she is a free woman and one where she is part of her own complicated familial history on a Southern plantation, she becomes frighteningly entangled in the lives of Rufus, a conflicted white slaveholder and one of Dana's own ancestors, and the many people who are enslaved by him.

• "... she becomes frighteningly entangled in the lives of Rufus, a conflicted white slaveholder and one of Dana's own ancestors ..." Ooh, ick, I see where this is going. She's going to get knocked up by Rufus and be her own ancestor.

ONCE UPON A TIME AT END OF WORLD #5

PARKER GIRLS #6

• Heads up, Terry Moore fans!

PLAYTHINGS #5

PSALM FOR THE CHANGED

Story: Brent Fisher | Art/Cover: Salomee Luce-Antionette | Dauntless Comics | $5.00

From writer Brent Fisher (Color of Always, Dandy Presents Penny Dreadfuls), illustrator Salomée Luce-Antoinette (Nubia Coronation Special, Silver Coin) and letterer DC Hopkins comes Magic! Lies! Betrayal! Blood ... and mercy. A wayward knight discovers that not all is as it seems in this short one-shot epic introduction to a world that teaches us to look beyond-and within-to seek the light of truth.

RANGER STRANGER: DEEP CUTS #1

Story: Tyler Jensen, Matt Battaglia | Art/Cover: Tyler Jensen | Scout Comics | Mature | $5.99

Ranger Stranger is a gallows comedy set in majestic Hackaneck National Park, a vast Bob Rossian world of woods and waters for the adventurous camper or hiker to enjoy. Unfortunately, everything — from the wildflowers to the homicidal deer to the park official — wants to murder you. So, what's one to do? Light a candle, why don’tcha? Play some Johnny Mathis if you like, but play it low, you can't blast the Mathis, you psycho. Now move that candle right up against those oily rags. There creates an atmosphere, don't you think? You're all set. dig in and get weird with our latest gift to you. Enjoy your visit!

• "Homicidal deer"? Is Bambi really that scary?

RECOUNT LEGENDARY ED #1

RICK AND MORTY #3

SANTA LATINA: SUPERHERO GN

Story: Kayden Phoenix | Art: Eva Cabrera, Gloria Felix, Sandra Romero |Phoenix Studios | $14.99

Santa lives in Wexo, a made-up bordertown in Texas. With elections coming up, the tension rises as the conservative frontrunner, Illena Chavez-Estevez, AKA ICE, wants to start a race war in the town. On the Domino side, we have La Politica running. Comadre, the mentor and veteran, ends up recruiting Santa for La Politica's campaign and as the racial tensions rise in the town, Santa learns what it means to be patriotic while harnessing her Mom's military past. When civilians start getting stolen, Santa finds her voice and strength to raid the detention camps and take down ICE.

• Latina superhero #2.

SEX & HORROR: ART OF ROBERTO MOLINO SC

Story:Nicola D'Agostino | Art: Roberto Molino | Korero Books | Mature | $36.95

The bestselling series Sex and Horror celebrates the publishing phenomenon known as "fumetti sexy," Italian adult comics with a unique take on such genres as horror, crime, fantasy, history and fairy tales. Wilder and weirder than you can imagine, they were some of the most outrageous and shocking comics ever produced. One of the most notorious of the cover artists was Roberto Molino, whose artworks often parodied the popular TV shows and films of the day, including Kojak (Kondor), The Bionic Woman (Bionika), and Rambo (Raimbo). This book brings together some of the sexiest and most provocative examples of his work, which is highly coveted by collectors today.

• Another fascinating book mixing comics and culture from overseas. Where would I find this one, I wonder?

SOMETHING IS KILLING THE CHILDREN #30

SONGS FOR THE DEAD: AFTERLIFE #1

Story: Michael Christopher Heron, Andrea Fort | Art/Cover: MJ Erickson | Vault Comics | $7.99

Bethany is a necromancer and a hero. Along with her companions, Elissar and Jonas, she has finally found the rumored Covenant. Her perilous journey has brought her to the last bastion of the necromancers, but resurging prejudices have them in shambles. Can Bethany unite them in the face of escalating tensions? Or will the coming war shatter all of her dreams for a peaceful future?

SONGS FOR THE DEAD: AFTERLIFE sees the long-awaited return of Bethany, necromancer and hero.  Along with her companions, Elissar and Jonas, she has finally found the rumored covenant. Her Perilous journey has brought her to the last bastion of the necromancers, but resurging prejudices have them in shambles. Can Bethany unite them in the face of escalating tensions? Or will the coming war shatter all of her dreams for a peaceful future? This much-desired return of SONGS FOR THE DEAD is written by Andrea Fort and MC Heron, drawn by MJ Erickson, colored by Addison Duke, lettered by Andworld, and designed by Tim Daniel. 

• It must be the Month of the Witch, as well.

SPERO TP

SOUL EATER PERFECT EDITION VOL 10 GN

STRONGEST SAGE WITH THE WEAKEST CREST VOL 11 GN

THAT TIME I GOT REINCARNATED AS A SLIME VOL 21 GN

TOY #1

WESTERNOIR GN

Story: Dave West, Gary Crutchley | Art: Matt Soffe | Art/Cover: Gary Crutchley | Accent UK | $20.00

Josiah Black thought that he'd done it all — cowhand, gun slinger, drifter and sheriff — but then he kills Jim Wilson and takes on the role of monster hunter. Monsters that only he can see. They Live meets Deadwood in this tale from the old wild west.

• "Monsters that only he can see." We usually call that schizophrenia.

WIZKIT GN

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #128

• Preview the return of Pow-Girl, plus a complete Archie story HERE.

ZORRO FLIGHTS #2

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Comics Guide: March 27-May 2, 2023 ", Skipper?  Sounds like a long week!

• Early again!

BY1qk4m.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

"...which looks like his head is sticking out of a jet turbine..."LVnpEHj.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

"...it's possible to get confused by all the various Moon Knight series."

Here's how to keep them straight: The Moench/Sieniewicz issues are the only ones worth reading.

"[PS Artbooks] publisher is also having a big week."

I got two D.B.'s Frankenstein slipcases, both damaged, sent them both back. Perhaps my second reorder will ship this week.

"Heads up again, Ahoy fans!"

Mark Russell fans, too.

• I've never really seen all that much of the Steel Claw. So I can't speak to how good the writing is, but I've seen enough of the art to be sure it's good. Jesus Blasco was one of some number of Spanish artists who worked for British comics.

Rocketman and Rocketgirl were Golden Age Chesler characters.

• I'd like to see some of that. 

Luke Blanchard said:

I've never really seen all that much of the Steel Claw. So I can't speak to how good the writing is, but I've seen enough of the art to be sure it's good. Jesus Blasco was one of some number of Spanish artists who worked for British comics.

• Preview the return of Pow-Girl, plus a complete Archie story from World of Archie Jumbo Comics Digest #128 HERE.

• UNSTOPPABLE DOOM PATROL #1 - I'm picking this up, kind of along the lines with what I did when the New 52 first came out. Picking up series, I normally wouldn't, or haven't in a long time.

PS ARTBOOKS - I see these quite often at Half-Price Books. I'll pick one up every once in a while. One volume of any particular series is enough for me usually.

BLACK PHOENIX VOL 1 GN - This sounds interesting, but I don't think it's $15 interesting. - It might be depending on the page count.

Shouldn't this be a cookbook? - lol!

I think I've outgrown any curiosity I might have had about this lifestyle. - Witchcraft?

• I think I've outgrown any curiosity I might have had about this lifestyle. - Witchcraft?

No, I'm actually still curious about that. I meant the punk-heavy-metal-drugs-leather-jacket-tattoos thing.

• In answer to my own question above about PS Artbooks Softees, there are two available on Instocktrades this week, and I took the time to look them up. (I usually order Instock on my iPad late at night, and looking up individual books without a keyboard is a bother, and I'm generally lazy, so I have to date just trusted that the Softees reprint material I already own in HC.) As it happens, both were Softee only: Spook Vol. 2 and South Seas Vol. 1. Because I did bother to look them up, I went ahead and ordered them (along with Spook Vol. 1). No telling how many collected titles I've missed to this point because I generally don't look them up, and I generally don't order Softees. I guess I will from now on.

South Seas has some Matt Baker artwork, probably on the most famous feature, "South Sea Girl." Spook is graced with L.B. Cole covers, some I've never seen and all of which I will be pleased to see full size. So I don't feel like I'm buying them just to be completist -- there's some history there. But I wish they were HCs. Not only are HCs more durable, but the Softees don't include as many issues as the HCs.

Speaking of which, someone on here once mentioned that Planet Comics Softees looked to be finishing the series that the HCs failed to do, because the Softee numbering had surpassed the HC numbering. That stuck in my head and weeks later I looked it up (too late to respond to OP, who was probably Jeff of Earth-J), and the HCs are complete -- the HCs include the entire run of Planet Comics. But the Softees run more editions because each contains fewer issues. The HCs completed the 73-issue run in 14 volumes, but the Softees are up to Vol. 16 and have only reached issued #54.

I have amended the Comics Guide to reflect my newfound knowledge.

• "... she becomes frighteningly entangled in the lives of Rufus, a conflicted white slaveholder and one of Dana's own ancestors ..." Ooh, ick, I see where this is going. She's going to get knocked up by Rufus and be her own ancestor.

It's been a while since I read Kindred -- Butler's novel, not this adaptation -- but I don't think that's the case. (As always, my memory of plot details is a hazy thing.) In any event, the book itself is wonderful, and I hope this adaptation does it justice.  

This reply was deleted.