Comics Guide: Nov. 14-20, 2022

BOOM! STUDIOS

ALL NEW FIREFLY #10

BUFFY ‘97 TP

SOMETHING IS KILLING THE CHILDREN #26

WYND THRONE IN SKY #4 (OF 5)

DARK HORSE COMICS

ABE SAPIEN: DARK & TERRIBLE VOL 1 TP

CYBERPUNK 2077: YOU HAVE MY WORD #4 (OF 4)

FRANKENSTEIN: NEW WORLD #3 (OF 4)

KEPLER HC

Story: David Duchovny & Philip Sevy | Art/Colors/Letters: Philip Sevy | $19.99

When the Benadem, benevolent space gods, return to KEPLER, a planet where homo sapiens went extinct and other hominid species thrived, their arrival threatens to plunge the world into chaos. West, a 16-year-old Neanderthal girl, is thrust into the conflict and is the only hope to prevent extinction. Her efforts, unique because of her mixed hominid heritage, not only change her life, but also reveal the merciless ambition and identity of the gods themselves.

In the tradition of Planet of the Apes, Kepler is an allegorical thriller of environmental disaster, colonialism, religion, history and adolescence told through the eyes of a lonely outsider.

Praise for Triage and The Reservoir:

Triage is a fast-paced sci-fi fish out of water tale with compelling characters and huge mysteries.” — The Brazen Bull on Triage

Triage #1 from Phillip Sevy and Dark Horse is for anyone looking for high-concept story told through high-weirdness art.” — Monkeys Fighting Robots on Triage

“A slim, compelling tale of a man on the brink.” — Kirkus Review on The Reservoir

“This intelligent effort further burnishes Duchovny’s status as a gifted novelist.” — Publisher’s Weekly on The Reservoir

• Dark Horse throws a lot of OGNs at us these days. Most of 'em don't grab me and say "You must read me!" But many, like this one, have interesting concepts.
  • Here's a preview.

LAST FLIGHT OUT TP

LEGEND OF KORRA: TURF WARS OMNIBUS TP

MASKERADE #3 (OF 4)

MAZE TP

Story/Art: Thiago Souto | 224 pages | 7” x 10” | Age: 14+ | $24.99

Dark Horse Books is proud to present Maze by Thiago Souto, winner of the Angelo Agostini Award for Best New Release and nominated in four categories in the HQ Mix Awards. Maze was originally published in Brazil in 2017 by Mino and will soon be available in English for the first time.

Nico isn’t like most children. At night, when he sleeps, Nico’s dreams come to life, and he enters into a fantastic world of adventure, along with his friend, Góreck. But one night, Nico doesn’t fall asleep, and Góreck is left alone, in the darkness. To find his friend, Góreck must leave the familiar land of dreams, and enter a labyrinth of memories. Traversing a land between dreams and reality, Góreck must find Nico and rescue him, or be lost forever within the Maze.

Enter a world between dreams and reality — the Maze!

“… packed with beautiful art, with captivating narrative, the desire to get lost in this Labyrinth is almost immediate.” — Sidney Gusman, Mauricios de Sousa Productions

“More than anything, the saga of inspiration and hope conceived by Souto is a threat to the world of conformism and growing pessimism in which we live. My advice? Surrender to this Labyrinth.” — Ramon Stained Glass

OVERWATCH: NEW BLOOD #5 (OF 5)

PANIC TP

RESIDENT ALIEN: BOOK OF LOVE #1 (OF 4)

Story: Peter Hogan | Art/Cover: Steve Parkhouse| $3.99

Dark Horse Comics teams up once again with Peter Hogan and Steve Parkhouse to bring you the newest chapter of the Resident Alien saga. Resident Alien: The Book of Love follows the beloved alien detective Harry on another thrilling ride as he attempts to move on from the events of the previous volume. Only this time, he attempts to navigate one of the most thrilling journeys of all — love!

The comics that inspired the hit SYFY series continue! As the government agency that was trailing Harry decides to back off, his life in Patience quiets down a little. Harry and Asta grow closer, romance blooms and guards are let down. Life always has a way of keeping things exciting, and big things can happen in small towns.

Praise for Resident Alien:

"One of the most charming and wonderful comics being published today.” — Jeff Lemire

“A pitch-perfect narrative from two of my favorite creators.” — Alan Moore

“A sci-fi murder mystery, Resident Alien: The Suicide Blonde engages its readers with a supporting cast of quirky characters and a weird-looking protagonist.” — Bloody Disgusting

“If you enjoy mysteries and a bit of sci-fi then you'll love this genre-defying series that nails both.” — Comic Bastards

“This is a charming and attractive comic, and I'd bet that if you try this comic, you'll fall in love with it.”  — Comic Book Resources

• Sadly, the TV show is so much better that I've lost interest in the comic book.
  • Here's a preview.

SHAOLIN COWBOY: CRUEL TO BE KIN #7 (OF 7)

TEPHLON FUNK TP

Story: Stephane Metayer | Art: Nicolas Safe | Art/Cover: David Tako | $19.99

Stephane Metayer has teamed up with Dark Horse Books to bring his popular self-published comic, Tephlon Funk!, to comic shops! With art by David Tako and Nicolas Safe, this coming-of-age story masterfully weaves together inspiration from '90s NYC street culture, anime and hip-hop.

Since the death of her parents, 14-year-old Inez Jozlyn can’t catch a break. Still, she’s determined to make a better life for herself. After Gabriel, a mysterious classmate helps her out of a tough spot, she finds herself in the middle of a drug conflict. Along with her strange new friend, Inez will work with a young female cop with a strong sense of justice and a sword-wielding bartender to help stop the new drug from spreading throughout New York.

Praise for Tephlon Funk!:

“A heavily-buzzed hip-hop/anime style comic from ambitious, globally-minded newcomer Stephane Metayer, who nurtured his idea of a gritty urban crime drama with a science fiction twist for more than a decade while he assembled an international team to help bring it to life.” — Forbes

"Tephlon Funk isn’t just popular, it’s dope.” — Complex

“The story by Stephane Metayer is electrifying and storied. The art by David Tako and Nicholas Safe is gorgeous and iridescent. Altogether, it’s a new world the reader will be more than happy to get to know.” — Graphic Policy

WIPER OGN

Story: John Harris Dunning | Art/Cover:Ricardo Cabral | $19.99

Lula Nomi is a Wiper — a private detective who guarantees complete discretion. A memory wipe after every job sees to that. When she's hired by enigmatic robot Klute she thinks the case is the answer to all her problems. But there's something oddly familiar about Klute — and the more she investigates the disappearance of journalist Orson Glark, the more she suspects that he's somehow connected to her own past.

Lula must face her greatest fears to learn what happened to Glark ... and the truth about herself.

• "Glark"? Is he a Ferengi?
  • Here's a preview.

THE WORLD OF DISNEY MIRRORVERSE HC

Story/Art: Disney | $49.99

Enter the Mirrorverse with a full-color hardcover volume that explores a new and divergent universe brought to life in the exciting action role-playing game, through The World of Disney Mirrorverse, an expansive book presented by Dark Horse Books and Disney!     

Sinister forces are rising in the Mirrorverse, requiring champions mighty enough to meet the deadly challenge. The World of Disney Mirrorverse gives an in-depth look at powerfully amplified versions of Sulley, Baymax, Jack Skellington, Maleficent, Belle, Buzz Lightyear, Captain Jack Sparrow, Scar and more — all evolved in visually dynamic and unexpected ways as Guardians against the oncoming Fractured hordes seeking to shatter the Mirrorverse. Examine familiar Disney and Pixar locations now altered by Stellar Magic, and explore the magnificent new worlds within Disney Mirrorverse!

Get a detailed view of the dynamically evolved characters, surprising design concepts, rich lore, stunning environments and more! A must have for all Disney and Pixar fans and gamers!

YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #3 (OF 4)

DC COMICS

BATMAN: ONE BAD DAY — MR. FREEZE #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Gerry Duggan | Art/Cover: Matteo Scalera | $7.99

Going back to the Dark Knight's early days in Gotham City: Batman and Robin, Dick Grayson, face down the coldest winter Gotham City has ever seen. A winter so cold that Mr. Freeze, Victor Fries, no longer needs his containment suit to survive; he is in an element where he can thrive. Robin empathizes with Mr. Freeze, all Freeze wants to do is save his wife, Nora — but Batman warns Robin not to give his empathy to Victor Fries. He's a man who decided his own fate a long time ago and he deserves none of our warmth. And this winter ... he will show his true wickedness and power. The powerhouse creative team of bestselling writer GERRY DUGGAN (X-Men, Deadpool, Arkham Manor) and MATTEO SCALERA (WHITE KNIGHT PRESENTS: HARLEY QUINN, Black Science) brings you Mr. Freeze's most frigid story yet.

• Still looking forward to a "One Bad Day" collection.

BATMAN/SPAWN: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION HC

Story: Doug Moench, Chuck Dixon, Alan Grant, Frank Miller | Art: Klaus Janson, Todd McFarlane | Cover: Greg Capullo, Todd Mcfarlane | $19.99 | 112 pages

An ancient evil has arisen in Gotham City. The last time it appeared, an entire colony was wiped clean from the face of the Earth, leaving only one clue: Croatoan. Whoever or whatever Croatoan is, it’ll take all of the Batman’s investigative skills and the supernatural abilities of an ex-soldier turned Hellspawn to save Gotham’s citizens from the hell that is about to be unleashed on our world. For the first time in three decades, this edition of the classic meeting between comics’ caped avengers of the night reprints Batman/Spawn: War Devil #1 by legendary Batman writers and artists Doug Moench, Chuck Dixon, Alan Grant and Klaus Janson ... plus the Spawn/Batman one-shot by Batman: The Dark Knight Returns writer Frank Miller and Spawn creator Todd McFarlane, which brings Batman to Spawn’s home turf of New York City! Two heroes with different methods in two very different tales. Capes will clash.

Fans won’t want to miss this collection, in print for the first time in years, when it is available at comic book stores on Nov. 15, ahead of the release of the highly anticipated Batman/Spawn from Todd McFarlane and Greg Capullo on Dec. 16.

• I have read both of these crossovers, and they left no impression. But then, I think Spawn is an ill-conceived character, so I'm prejudiced.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD'S FINEST #9

BLACK ADAM #6

CATWOMAN #49

DARK CRISIS: WORLD WITHOUT A JUSTICE LEAGUE — BATMAN #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Simon Spurrier, Meghan Fitzmartin | Art: Ryan Sook, Dan Jurgens, Norm Rapmund | Cover: Ryan Sook | $4.99

When Pariah and his forces of the Great Darkness laid waste to the most powerful superheroes of all time, all hope was lost ... until now. To power his weapons of war, Pariah has captured each member of the Justice League and trapped them on worlds suited to their every dream and desire...while the planets themselves slowly eat away at their respective inhabitants. Batman is stuck in a loop wherein the greatest detective must solve the mystery of his own existence! Plus, unravel the secrets of Zatanna's world in this final epic chapter of the WORLDS WITHOUT A JUSTICE LEAGUE saga!

• Tradewaiting this event as well.

DARK CRISIS: YOUNG JUSTICE #6 (OF 6)

DC VS. VAMPIRES: ALL-OUT WAR #5 (OF 6)

DCEASED: WAR OF THE UNDEAD GODS #4 (OF 8)

FLASH #788

GCPD: BLUE WALL #2 (OF 6)

GRAYSON THE SUPERSPY OMNIBUS HC 2ND ED

HARLEY QUINN: THE ANIMATED SERIES — LEGION OF BATS #2 (OF 6)

LOONEY TUNES #266

NIGHTWING #98

STARGIRL: THE LOST CHILDREN #1 (OF 6)

Story: Geoff Johns | Art/Cover: Todd Nauck | Variants: Crystal Kung, Mayo "Sen" Naito | $3.99 | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 (card stock)

“There’s nothing I get more gratitude from than continuing the legacy of my sister with Stargirl. And to do it with Todd is a blessing as we introduce DC’s secret Golden Age of teenage heroes in a fun mini-event,” added Johns.

Johns is teaming up with Iconic Young Justice illustrator Todd Nauck for an epic teenage DC hero event, Stargirl: The Lost Children! When Stargirl of the Justice Society and Green Arrow’s ally Red Arrow discover a tragic teenage hero from the past has gone missing, they set out to find him ... only to discover he’s not the first teenage hero of the Golden Age to have vanished without a trace. But where have they gone? Who are they? And what does the Childminder want with them?

• Looking at that main cover, who I think I see are (clockwise from top left):
  • Dan the Dyna-Mite: TNT's sidekick in the 1940s.
  • Secret: A modern character from Young Justice.
  • Robbie the Robot Dog: A robot canine who served as a sidekick for Robotman (Robert Crane version).
  • Second Sweep: Hourman's 1940s sidekicks were the Minute-Men of America, and Thorndyke Thompkins was foremost among them. He was retconned in Young Justice as having been an actual, Miraclo-powered sidekick named Second Sweep, but appeared as an old man. Perhaps this is a relative.
  • Airwave: Another modern character, who has the powers of the Golden Age Airwave, and is Hal Jordan's cousin. Briefly went by Maser before New 52.
  • Miss America (?): The costume suggests Miss America (1940s DC version), who had the power to transmute matter. She's got an off-and-on (and weird) history at DC. She was Lyta "Fury" Trevor's mother In Infinity Inc. and Sandman. In another appearance she absorbed Human Bomb's powers and blew up in space, only to re-constitute her body with asteroids and dark matter, changing her name to Miss Cosmos. One retcon showed that she had never aged from the '40s. I don't which, if any, of her many retcons stuck, but this could plausibly be the original. But it's probably a daughter or grand-daughter.
  • TBD: The hood suggests a relation to Hooded Justice, who was white in the comics but black on TV. The hammer suggests a connection to John Henry Irons. Your guess is probably better than mine.
  • Gimmix: Merry, the Girl of 1,000 Gimmicks, was revealed at some point as having a daughter named Jacqueline (with Brainwave!), who took on the superhero identity Gimmix, who was killed on her first mission (Seven Soldiers of Victory #0). Perhaps she is not so dead as we were led to believe.
  • Wing: Crimson Avenger's sidekick.
  • Newsboy Legion: Likely the clone versions of Tommy, Scrapper, Gabby, Flipper and Big Words.
  • Human Bomb Jr. (?): The suit suggests a connection to Human Bomb.

TITANS UNITED: BLOODPACT #3 (OF 6)

WONDER WOMAN #204 FACSIMILE EDITION

WONDER WOMAN: EARTH ONE THE COMPLETE COLLECTION TP

YOUNG JUSTICE BOOK 6 TP

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

IMMORTAL RED SONJA #8

NINJETTES #3

SANTA'S SECRET SOCIETY TP

• For kids

SHEENA: QUEEN OF THE JUNGLE #10

VAMPIRELLA: MINDWARP #3

IDW PUBLISHING

CRASHING #3

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: SCRAPNIK ISLAND #2

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: TAILS’ 30TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL

STAR TREK: RESURGENCE #1 (OF 5)

Story: Dan Martin, Andrew Grant | Art/Cover: Josh Hood | Variants: Dramatic Labs, Malachi Ward | $3.99

Building upon the wave of excitement for Dramatic Labs’ upcoming interactive video game, IDW is thrilled to announce the five-issue comic book prequel of the same name, Star Trek: Resurgence! Exploring the calamitous events of the U.S.S. Resolute preceding the game’s main storyline, the miniseries will be written by Andrew Grant and Dan Martin with art by Josh Hood (Avatar: The Next Shadow, We Can Never Go Home) and will debut in November.

On a windswept planet bordering the notoriously hostile Talarian Republic, a scientist on the cusp of developing technology that will revolutionize warp goes missing. The crew of the U.S.S. Resolute is tasked with an urgent stealth mission to recover Dr. Leah Brahms and keep her research out of enemy hands!

“I can’t wait for fans to have a truly immersive game experience on the bridge of the U.S.S. Resolute and discover the formative events that indelibly shaped the ship and crew via the comic books,” says Grant. “I’m grateful to have worked on a franchise that is genuinely hopeful about the future, that takes into consideration the needs of the many, and views diversity as a singular source of strength.”

“I really wanted to spend more time with the crew of the U.S.S. Resolute, so I’m thrilled to take fans on another adventure in this prequel comic,” says Martin. “There are some familiar faces along for the ride and as a longtime Star Trek fan myself, it’s sometimes hard to believe that I actually get to bring life to characters which I first met on TV decades ago.”

“Drawing Star Trek is a bit of a double-edged sword. The iconography is burned into the minds of so many fans that when you get something wrong — the phasers, the bridge of a starship, the comms badges — it's instantly recognizable as being wrong. But when you get it right, the entire experience of being in the 24th century seems to slide right into place,” says Hood.

“The universe is vast in the 24th century, and any opportunity we have to explore the stories of characters that don’t always make it to the big screen gives us a freedom to do things in the comics we don’t always get to do,” says editor Heather Antos. “Combined with Dan and Andrew’s experience working on the game itself, alongside Josh’s clear love of Trek, Star Trek: Resurgence is blasting off into brand-new corners of the Star Trek comics universe.”

TMNT (IDW ONGOING) COLLECTION VOL 2 TP

TRANSFORMERS VOL 6: WAR’S END HC

TRANSFORMERS: LAST BOT STANDING TP

TRVE KVLT #4 (OF 5)

USAGI YOJIMBO VOL 4: CROSSROADS TP

IMAGE COMICS

ABOVE SNAKES #5 (OF 5)

BONE ORCHARD: BLACK FEATHERS #3 (OF 5)

COPRA MASTER COLL BOOK 1 HC

DEADLIEST BOUQUET #4

DEADLY CLASS VOL 12: A FOND FAREWELL PT 2

DIE HC

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #14

I HATE FAIRYLAND #1

Story: Skottie Young | Art: Brett Bean | Cover: Skottie Young | Variants: Skottie Young, Brett Bean, Peach Momoko | $3.99

Eisner Award-winning writer Skottie Young (Middlewest, Twig, The Me You Love In The Dark) and artist Brett Bean (Marvel’s Rocket & Groot) bring back the hit comic I Hate Fairyland for an all-new companion, ongoing series.

Everyone’s favorite green-haired, axe-wielding, crazed maniac returns in this Deadpool-meets-Alice In Wonderland-style adventure! Gert is all grown up and living in the real world. Times are tough, and the only job she’s qualified for has her trying to find her way back to the place she hates the most … Fairyland.

“If you liked the first 20 issues of I Hate Fairyland, then you’re going to LOVE the new ongoing. I’ve had a few years to build up some brand-new things for Gert to hate," said Young in an exclusive on the announcement with io9. "This time around she’s all grown up and as brutal and funny as ever!"

Bean added: "I’ve loved comic books since I was a kid and it’s been a dream come true to reimagine Gert and get to work with Skottie on the new series."

JUNKYARD JOE #2

KILLADELPHIA BOOK ONE DELUXE HC

Story: Rodney Barnes | Art/Cover: Jason Shawn Alexander | $39.99

The Eisner Award nominated horror title Killadelphia by Rodney Barnes (writer behind Marvel’s Runaways, STARZ’s American Gods, HBO’s Winning Time) and artist Jason Shawn Alexander (Spawn) will get the hardcover treatment. Killadelphia Deluxe Hardcover Book One will collect the first 12 issues of the popular series, plus all five chapters of the terrifying werewolf tie-in story Elysium Gardens.

The Killadelphia series follows a small-town beat cop who returns home to bury his murdered father, revered Philadelphia detective James Sangster Sr. What he doesn’t anticipate is digging up a mystery that will lead him down a path of horrors and shake his beliefs to their core. The city that was once the symbol of liberty and freedom has fallen prey to corruption, poverty, unemployment, brutality … and vampires. Now, it’s up to Jimmy and an unexpected companion to stop long-thought-dead president of the United States John Adams from building an undead army and staging a bloody new American revolution.

Select praise for Killadelphia:

“It’s the best graphic novel I’ve ever read. Five times more graphic and eight times more novel.” — Chris Rock

Killadelphia is the stunning and fresh horror fable I’ve been craving. This one feels like a classic.” — Jordan Peele

“Jason Shawn Alexander is one of my favorite artists working today, and writer Rodney Barnes is the perfect collaborator for this atmospheric horror story with a terrifyingly real sense of place.”  — Brian K. Vaughan

"Sparely written, beautifully rendered and topical, Killadelphia is a genuinely frightening horror graphic. Can’t wait to read the next issue!” — Steven Barnes & Tananarive Due

"A dark, deep, seamless story that plays into multiple genres without becoming fully any one of them, the book offers a tantalizing nightmare of urban horror that feels real, rich and mysterious. It'll infect you if you let it, and you should.” — ComicBook.com

“Easily awarded the max of five stars, and I very highly recommend it to everyone who enjoys comics like Spawn, and The Walking Dead.” — Impulse Gamer

“A very unique visual style. It pulls from classic art and horror imagery to give us a comic that doesn’t look like a comic but rather like the inside of a nightmare.” — Graphic Policy

• I may need to read this.

KROMA #1

Story/Art: Lorenzo De Felici | $7.99

Skybound today announced the launch of Kroma, a new comic book series being written, drawn and colored by creator Lorenzo De Felici (Oblivion Song) that promises to take readers on a breathtaking adventure like none other, filled with strange creatures and unparalleled beauty. 

“Prepare for a hellish descent in the visible spectrum,” said Lorenzo De Felici. “This story will put a new fear in hue.”

Imprisoned in a tower within the walls of the Pale City, Kroma lives her days out in darkness, believing she is the most evil creature alive. However, where her people see a monster, the mysterious orphan Zet sees a human. But if either of them are to survive the city’s strange rituals and customs, they will have to overcome the cruel fate of Kroma ... even if it means risking certain death beyond the walls in the jaws of giant lizards and enormous birds of prey. 

“Lorenzo is a legit comic book triple threat — writing, drawing, and coloring this jaw-dropping new series,” said Sean Mackiewicz, SVP/Publisher at Skybound. “The world already knew Lorenzo was a brilliant artist with OBLIVION SONG, and everything he did there — creating an action-packed world populated by aliens, creatures and strange technology — is taken to the next level in KROMA. Also, he’s a fantastic cook. What can’t he do?!”

METAL SOCIETY TP

MR. LOVENSTEIN PRESENTS: FAILURE HC

Story/Art: J.L.Westover | 200 pages | $14.99

Today Image/Skybound announced the upcoming hardcover Mr. Lovenstein Presents: Failure, a collection of fan-favorite Mr. Lovenstein comics by webcomics superstar J.L. Westover that celebrate failure in all its forms.

In his (incredibly sweaty) new book, Westover offers up painfully hilarious observations and cringeworthy situations, uniting us all through one of life’s most relatable experiences — failure.

The beautifully thick 6” x 6” hardcover collection features over 200 pages of comics, including secret panels, book-exclusive comics that can’t be found online and an introduction by leading webcomics voice Lunarbaboon.

"It only feels right that my greatest success up to this point is Failure,” said Westover. “This book proved that nothing is too big to fail because this colossal tome is absolutely stuffed with my funniest comics. Failure has never felt this good.”

Mr. Lovenstein Presents: Failure first launched as a hit Kickstarter campaign in April 2021, earning worldwide media coverage and earning nearly $225,000, making it a top 10 webcomics graphic novel campaign of all-time.

“Last year, Mr. Lovenstein fans all over the world made Failure an unprecedented success,” said Alex Antone, Senior Editor at Skybound. “We are thrilled to keep the party going by bringing our celebration to bookstores everywhere. This book is for anyone in your life who has ever failed...even and especially you!”

“Sometimes I think of a great comic idea but then I realize Justin has already made it. Thanks a lot, Justin.” — Chris McCoy (Safely Endangered)

• This doesn't look like my bag, but it may be yours.
  • Here's a preview.

PRODIGY ICARUS SOCIETY #5

REVOLVERS #2

SHIRTLESS BEAR-FIGHTER 2 #4

VOYAGIS #1 (OF 5)

Story: Sumeyye Kesgin | Art/Cover: Sumeyye Kesgin | $3.99

Elsewhere’s fan-favorite artist Sumeyye Kesgin returns to an all-new sci-fi adventure debut in the upcoming Voyagis. This five-issue miniseries is set to launch from Image Comics this November.

What if one of the VOYAGER probes was found by aliens on an uninhabitable planet laid to waste by a wandering black hole? Their resources dwindling and under the thumb of a relentless tyrant, alien hero Sen’s discovery of the probe leads to adventure — and possible salvation — for her and her people.

"I find outer space infinitely inspiring and I’ve tried to build a fantastic adventure to my curiosity," said Kesgin. "Loneliness, delusions and hope for a better future are accompanying our heroes in their journey to the unknown. Will life find a way?"

THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE #51

MARVEL COMICS

BLADE: VAMPIRE NATION #1

Story: Mark Russell | Art: Dave Wachter, Mico Suayan | Cover: Valerio Giangiordano | Teen+ | $4.99

A deep dive into Dracula's new kingdom as established in AVENGERS. Starring BLADE, the sheriff of Vampire Nation!

An assassination threatens to unravel the fledgling country and spread chaos throughout the world. But is getting rid of a nation full of bloodsuckers really all that bad of an idea? Blade himself isn't too sure.

• You'd think the Russians wouldn't tolerate a vampire nation in their backyard. But Chernobyl is actually in Ukraine, so who knows what that political landscape looks like in the Marvel U.

CAPTAIN AMERICA & THE WINTER SOLDIER SPECIAL #1

Story: Collin Kelly & Jackson Lanzing | Art: Kev Walker | Cover: Salvador Larroca | $4.99

Kelly and Lanzing will team up with superstar artist Kev Walker to reveal the origins of Captain America’s newest foes and what the Outer Circle’s next move means for the future of the Winter Soldier in a double-sized one-shot, CAPTAIN AMERICAN & THE WINTER SOLDIER SPECIAL! The 20th century progressed at a more rapid pace than any other in history but not without help from the shadows. Learn more about the four members of this mysterious cabal — Power, Money, Machine, Love and Revolution — and the unbelievable ways they’ve altered history!

The one-shot spinning out of CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY will see the debut of Winter Soldier’s new costume designed by series artist Carmen Carnero as well as the persona Bucky will adopt for the war that lies ahead.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR will be a culmination of the threats, battles, and mysteries that have been at the center of both Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson’s adventures since the start of this critically-acclaimed new era. The secret origin of Steve’s shield, the Outer Circle’s stepping out from the shadows, White Wolf’s vicious attack, the return of Nomad … it’s all been leading to this. This bold chapter in Captain America’s 80-year history will leave a lasting impact Captain America’s legacy that fans dare not miss!

• Wait: Winter Soldier is going to get a cape? I thought Dollar Bill and Steve Rogers (as Nomad) put an end to that particular fashion accessory.

DEMON WARS: SHIELD OF JUSTICE #1 (OF 4)

Story: Peach Momoko, Zack Davisson | Art/Cover: Peach Momoko | $4.99

It’s Iron Samurai vs. Shield of Justice! Mariko Yashida is torn between two worlds: the human world and the yokai dimension — a strange world filled with stranger creatures. The denizens of the yokai dimension need Mariko’s help to stop a war that’s brewing between two factions, one led by the Iron Samurai and his spider-like ally, and the other by a shield-wielding warrior and his panther-like right hand. The clash between them could have cataclysmic consequences for both worlds!

“I am very happy to expand the series and get to show more of the love that I have for Japanese folklore and the way it inspires me with new stories told through my Momoko-verse lens,” Momoko said. “I am also very excited to redesign even more characters because I love character designing! It is a honor to tell my version of the classic Marvel Comics event, Civil War. My story and characters are already so different from the main Marvel Universe designs, and this series will give fans a chance to see even more fun layers and different takes on Marvel storytelling."

• I've read all I need to of this concept. But maybe you haven't.

GAMBIT #5

GHOST RIDER DANNY KETCH MARVEL TALES #1

GOLD GOBLIN #1 (OF 5)

Story: Christopher Cantwell | Art: Lan Medina | Cover: Taurin Clarke | Teen+ | $3.99

Writer Christopher Cantwell and artist Lan Medina will launch a new tie-in limited series during DARK WEB titled GOLD GOBLIN that sets up a new status quo for Norman Osborn. Norman Osborn’s sins may have been cleansed, but his memories weren’t and he’s done plenty of horrific things to remember. Norman’s worked hard to avoid all things “Goblin” and to stay on the straight and narrow. Consequences in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN pushed him to try superheroing, and he liked it. But when the media dub him the Gold Goblin, he has to start wondering — can he ever get away from the Goblin inside?

• Too. Many. Goblins.

IMMORTAL X-MEN #8

IRON MAN #25

Story: Christopher Cantwell, Kurt Busiek & Murewa Ayodele | Art: Angel Unzueta, Benjamin Dewey & Dotun Akande | Cover: Alex Ross | Teen+ | $5.99

November will see an oversized celebration for the Golden Avenger’s 650th issue in IRON MAN #25! It’s Iron Man Day in New York City, but not everyone is ready to celebrate the ongoing legacy of Tony Stark — least of all him. But a sudden crisis will once again test Tony’s heroism and challenge his commitment to the role he has assumed for himself. Must there be an Iron Man?  Christopher Cantwell concludes his thought-provoking and powerful run as writer, as illustrated by Angel Unzueta.

PLUS! Murewa Ayodele and Dotun Akande tell a tale of Iron Man’s quest to locate Thor amid the frozen wastelands of Niffleheim. Kurt Busiek and Ben Dewey pair up to provide an all-new vintage Iron Man adventure from the distant past featuring Madame Masque and the Radioactive Man! And get a special glimpse of what’s coming up next for the Armored Avenger!

MIGHTY MMW: NAMOR SUB-MARINER VOL 1: THE QUEST BEGINS TP

MMW TOMB DRACULA VOL 2 HC

MURDERWORLD: AVENGERS #1

Story: Jim Zub | Art: Jethro Morales | Cover: Paco Medina | Teen+ | $3.99

READY. SET. DIE!

Jim Zub and Ray Fawkes put the “murder” back in MURDERWORLD! Teaming up with an exciting lineup of all-star artists, the two writers have penned a pulse-pounding epic that begins later this month in MURDERWORLD: AVENGERS #1 and comes to a crashing end in March’s MURDERWORLD: GAME OVER #1! Across five one-shots, readers will witness Arcade at his darkest as he unleashes the full terror of Murderworld on an all-new cast of characters.

Two hundred contestants. One hundred million dollar prize. One winner. And to survive, they’ll have to endure a series of brutal tests in Arcade’s brand-new Murderworld. Arcade’s circus-style contests have been a punchline in the past, but this game is no joke and the body count will rise with each twist and turn. Has Arcade finally found success? Enter Paul Pastor, the extraordinary young documentarian who hopes to expose it all but he can’t do it alone. Luckily, the Black Widow has a personal grudge to settle with the Murderworld mastermind - but how many will die before she can put a stop to this wildly violent scheme??

"When I first saw Murderworld in an issue of Uncanny X-Men, I was fascinated by its colorful corniness mixed with deception and violence,” Zub explained. “Many years ago, Ray and I chatted about a twisted thriller-survival story set in Arcade's deadly playground and now, starting with MURDERWORLD: AVENGERS, we're finally getting the chance to unleash it!"

“Murderworld is one of those stealthy, ultra-compelling concepts that always made the Marvel Universe so fascinating to me - the gaudy, family-fun veneer slapped over a deadly threat. When Jim and I were discussing it, ideas to make it more and more frightening and exciting just kept coming to us. I’m thrilled to bring them to readers in all their horrible glory!” Fawkes added.

• I've always found Arcade really annoying.

NAMOR: CONQUERED SHORES #2

SHANG-CHI AND TEN RINGS #5

SHE-HULK #8

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #26

STAR WARS: HAN SOLO CHEWBACCA #7

STAR WARS HIDDEN EMPIRE #1 (OF 5)

Story: Charles Soule | Art: Steven Cummings | Cover: Paolo Siqueira | Teen | $4.99

Following Star Wars: War of the Bounty Hunters and Star Wars: Crimson Reign, writer Charles Soule will complete his trilogy of game-changing Star Wars comic book epics this November in STAR WARS: HIDDEN EMPIRE! The five-issue limited series will continue to spotlight the breakout character from Solo: A Star Wars Story, Lady Qi’ra. Since her comics debut, the criminal leader has had a tremendous impact on Marvel’s Star Wars comics storytelling, and STAR WARS: HIDDEN EMPIRE will see Qi’ra set her bold overarching plan in motion: ridding the galaxy of the Sith! The series will be drawn by artist Steven Cummings, who also worked on Star Wars: Crimson Reign. In addition, Cummings has crafted a stunning connecting piece that will adorn all five issues. These variant covers show some of the stars of the saga including Darth Vader, Emperor Palpatine, the Knights of Ren, and more key characters who will take sides in the upcoming conflict!

The mysterious syndicate Crimson Dawn and its leader Lady Qi'ra have become the galaxy's most wanted criminals, as Emperor Palpatine realizes the scope of Qi'ra's plans against him and moves to destroy her. But Qi’ra still has tricks up her sleeve, and with the help of the Knights Of Ren and her many other allies, she will not go down without a fight!

Hidden Empire is set between Episodes V and VI. So, there are things this story can do and things it can’t,” Soule explained to StarWars.com. “That said, I think it will deliver a deeply satisfying conclusion to Qi’ra’s arc here, and readers will understand how her choices in this story impacted events all across the Star Wars galaxy at this time. As with many of the comics and novels and ancillary stories beyond the films, the idea is to deepen the experience and understanding of the characters. There are direct connections here to both The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi — and beyond — and I think the fans will be very happy.”

THOR EPIC COLLECTION: THOR WAR TP NEW PTG

THUNDERBOLTS #4 (OF 5)

TRIALS OF X VOL 2 TP

ULTIMATES BY MILLAR & HITCH OMNIBUS HC

ULTRAMAN: MYSTERY OF ULTRASEVEN #4

VENOM: LETHAL PROTECTOR — HEART OF THE HUNTED TP

WAKANDA #2 (OF 5)

MORE COMICS

ABOLITION OF MAN #2 (OF 5)

ACCIDENTAL CZAR: LIFE & LIES OF VLADIMIR PUTIN GN

Story: Andrew S Weiss | Art/Cover: Box Brown | First Second Books | $28.99

In the West's collective imagination, Vladimir Putin is a devious cartoon villain, constantly plotting and scheming to destroy his enemies around the globe. But how did an undistinguished mid-level KGB officer become one of the most powerful leaders in Russian history? And how much of Putin's tough-guy persona is a calculated performance? In Accidental Czar, Andrew S. Weiss, a former White House Russia expert, and Brian "Box" Brown show how Putin has successfully cast himself as a cunning, larger-than-life political mastermind — and how the rest of the world has played into the Kremlin's hands by treating him as one.

• I don't think there is anything accidental about it. Putin is a former KGB operative who fancies himself the second coming of Peter the Great.
  • I will read this, though. Know thine enemy.

ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #335

ATONEMENT BELL #1

Story: Jim Ousley | Art/Cover: Tyler B Ruff | Red 5 Comics | Mature | $3.95

Months after a brutal tragedy, young Jake and his mother travel to St. Louis to visit their estranged family during the holidays. Soon, Jake, his cousin Baby Al, and their Bosnian friend Sara must fight for their very lives when they discover the truth about the city's devastating secret past.

• Wow, a comic book set in St. Louis!

BELLE ANNUAL: DEPTHS OF TARTARUS

BILL & TED'S DAY OF THE DEAD ONE-SHOT

Story: Josh Trujillo, John Barber | Art: Juan Samu | Art/Cover: Garrie Gastonny | Opus Comics | $6.99

In this special one-shot by writer Josh Trujillo (Rick and Morty) and Indonesian sensation Garrie Gastonny on art, Bill & Ted stumble into a Day of the Dead celebration, sending visions of sugar skulls dancing through their heads! Plus, a bonus story featuring Rufus and Chuck De Nomolos!

• One of these days, I've really got to watch one of the Bill & Ted movies.

BOX VOL 1 TP

BROKEN SOULS BALLAD #4 HELL IS FOR KIDS

BY THE HORNS DARK EARTH #6

CAPTAIN CANUCK ARCHIVES VOL 16

CRADLE OF FILTH #5

DEAD OR ALIVE VOL 1 TP

DEMON'S BLOODLUST GN

Story/Art: Hyena Hell | Silver Sprocket | $13.99

Infernal incubus Skud enjoys a luxurious life in Hell. But when his repeated rule-breaking catches up with him, the only way out of a permanent demotion is an Earth-side vampire-slaying mission. With the aid of his sibling, Bug, it should be a fairly straightforward mission ... unless of course, it's not.

• I'd say this is the "What th-?!" title of the week, but it's really no surprise that a Silver Sprocket title leaves me struggling for words. "What th-?!" could be the company motto.

DISNEY MASTERS COLLECTORS BOX SET 13 & 14 HC

DISNEY MASTERS COLLECTORS BOX SET 15 & 16 HC

DOOR TO DOOR NIGHT BY NIGHT #1

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art/Cover: Sally Cantirino | Variant: Brain Hurtt | Vault | $4.99

Vault is thrilled to announce DOOR TO DOOR, NIGHT BY NIGHT, a chilling new horror series from all-star creators Cullen Bunn (Harrow County, Basilisk, The Last Book You'll Ever Read) and Sally Cantirino (I Walk With Monsters, Human Remains), with colors by Dee Cunniffe, letters by Andworld, and designs by Tim Daniel.

DOOR TO DOOR, NIGHT BY NIGHT brings you the story of a motley crew, the Heritage Mills door-to-door sales team, who travel from town to town, knocking on doors. They're the best at what they do ... which also means they're the worst. They're broken, each and every one of them, haunted by closets so full of skeletons, they're bursting. When they discover a terrible secret behind one fateful door, it opens their eyes to a world full of real monsters hidden in every small town.

“When I was a kid, way back during those formative years, back when I was really discovering and digging into horror for the first time, my dad ran a door-to-door sales team,” said Bunn about the series' origins. “They traveled all over the country, knocking on doors, running fundraising programs, primarily for volunteer fire departments in rural areas. I often traveled with my dad on his sales trips, and I met some of the most interesting characters you might ever hope to meet. They were, as I recall, an odd lot, a collection of burnouts and drunks and ne’er-do-wells, all of whom were good at one thing — sales — and not much else.

“They knocked on doors all day, every day,” continues Bunn. “At night, though, they scattered off into the dark. Now, I know they went off to find liquor stores and honkytonks where they could spend their hard-earned cash. I got to thinking, though …”

“What if they were up to something more … something supernatural … when night fell.”

“As soon as I got the first script and the cast of characters for DOOR TO DOOR, NIGHT BY NIGHT, I could picture everyone clearly in my head,” added Cantiro. “Big bearded former teacher Alex with his grading pens still in his shirt pocket, the intense angular Cal with a cross pin on his outdated wide lapel, Lacey’s cascading asymmetrical hair and '80s fashions, Maxine’s Sigourney-Weaver-in-Aliens final mom energy. I imagined Will as a softer, warmer Don Draper, but my first drawings turned out looking uncannily like Cullen’s own father, without ever having seen a picture of him.”

“Fred was a little more of a challenge,” added Cantirino. “Cullen gave me a description of Fred as a guy wearing polo shirts and jeans, hair thinning, sporting a mustache. I compiled some reference photos, including one of my dad from the same time period Door to Door is set, matching that description and sitting on a terrible plaid couch, drinking a beer next to a friend’s baby. I didn’t indicate that it was my dad in that jumble of reference photos, but Cullen picked him out of the line-up and said something like, “that guy in the top left corner, but with more meat on his bones” and that was it for me. We had somehow managed to both channel each others’ dads into the comic without realizing it. I felt very reassured that this was where I was supposed to be. I spent two years processing my dad’s illness and death while drawing I Walk With Monsters and Human Remains - now I was bringing a little of him back to life."

“(Sorry I put you in a comic book, Dad.)”

• "Door-to-door salesman" is one of those things from my childhood that disappeared without my noticing. As an occupation, it probably died before the Internet, but Amazon is certainly dancing on its grave.

DRAGON WHISPERER: SEARCH FOR OBSIDIAN #2

EINSTEIN GN

Story: Jim Ottaviani| Art/Cover: Jerel Dye | First Second Books | $32.99

E = MC2. A world-changing equation and a wild head of hair are all most of us know about one of history's greatest minds, despite his being a household name in his lifetime and an icon in ours. But while the broad outlines of what Einstein did are well known, who he was remained hidden from view to most, even his closest friends. This is the story of a scientist who made many mistakes, and even when he wanted to be proven wrong, was often right in the end. It's a story of a humanist who struggled to connect with people. And it's a story of a reluctant revolutionary who paid a high price for living with a single dream.

• Einstein probably changed the world more than Hitler, Stalin and Putin combined.

FAR CRY: ESPERANZA'S TEARS #2

FRANK FRAZETTA'S DEATH DEALER #7

• The only name I found for this Frazetta painting was "Death Dealer 6."

GENEVIEVE CASTREE COMPLETE WORKS 1981-2016 HC

Story/Art: Genevieve Castree | Drawn & Quarterly | $99.95

From rarely- or never-seen illustrations and comics, to album covers and photographs, to studio scraps, Geneviève Castrée: Complete Works 1981-2016 is a breathtaking collection of Castrée's work and soul. Those familiar with Castrée's seminal memoir about her childhood, Susceptible (included fully within), will know that she, to a large degree, raised herself. It was in those unattended, semi-feral childhood years that Geneviève used art to pull herself out of what could have otherwise been a bleak existence. Instead, she found beauty and depth around her and blended it gorgeously with the harsh, devastating realities of this world. With an introduction from Castrée's widower Phil Elverum. Translations by Elverum and Aleshia Jensen.

GIRL GENIUS: SECOND JOURNEY VOL 7: EXORCISM ENGINES GN

THE GRUNCH: WELCOME TO THE BRUDDERHOOD #2

HIGHBALL #3 (OF 5)

IN THE BEGINNING: EPIC OF THE ANUNNAKI GN

INCAL DELUXE SLIPCASE HC

INCAL: PSYCHOVERSE HC

Story: Mark Russell | Art: Yanick Paquette | Humanoids | Mature | $24.99

With Alejandro Jodorowsky and M bius' The Incal set to be a major motion picture from acclaimed director Taika Waititi, now is the time to explore the brand new shocking and explosive prequel to the legendary and best-selling Incal saga, prepare. Prepare to enter...the Psychoverse.

AaA realm made of pure potential and possibility known as the Psychoverse has declared war on all material reality, and the only ones who can save it are the deadly Metabaron, the swashbuckling Kill Wolfhead, and the bumbling detective John DifFool

• I can't think of a single reason why Incal needs a prequel (or a sequel, should one appear). But I do like me some Yanick Paquette.

INVADER ZIM ONI 25TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION #1

JASON UPSIDE DAWN HC

Story/Art: Jason | Fantagraphics | $29.99

In this absolutely bonkers comics collection, Norwegian  cartoonist Jason follows his most oddball impulses,  presenting to readers an intergalactic assortment of his  weirdest, wildest short stories yet.  A dinner date devolves into a Dadaist farce. Death decides his victim's  fate over a high-stakes game of chess. Kafka is ensnared in a confounding  bureaucracy of his own imagination. Spock beams down to  1920s Paris to live a double life as an avant-garde painter. Hitchcockian  thrillers, literary adaptations, and homages to classic EC comics  abound. Dinosaurs! David Bowie! Vampires! Elvis! Welcome to the  cosmic gumbo of Upside Dawn.  Norwegian cartoonist Jason is beloved for his signature dry wit,  deadpan humor, and elegantly minimalist style. His newest compilation  of short comics stories leans into the playful and experimental,  as he mixes and matches genres, mashes up low and high brow culture,  from Star Trek to Georges Perec, and leads readers through dizzying twists  and turns — in sum, a beguiling collection for both stalwart Jason fans and the  blissfully uninitiated. 

• There has been praise for Jason on this board. So here's some more Jason.

KNIGHTS OF THE FIFTH DIMENSION VOL 1 GN

Story: Casey Van Heel | Art/Cover: Walter Flanagan | Blue Juice Comics | $24.99

The stories of the Knights are REAL ... and your dreams are sorely needed! William "The Wizard" Gardener is a reclusive comic book creator and artist who has been the sole voice of the legendary PSYCHEDELIC KNIGHTS OF THE 5TH DIMENSION for decades. From comic books to toys and action figures, from cartoons to film, William is the latest of a long line of artists, poets, writers & musicians tapped to inspire creativity in man in order to combat Vanta Black's spread of self-doubt, despair and hopelessness in our world.

But William grows old and tired, and his once-revered comic book series is now relegated to flea markets and bargain bins across the world. Years ago, William enlisted the help of up-and-coming writer/artist Kurt "The Great One" Gideon to carry on the Knights legacy, but after a short and successful run, a disillusioned Kurt turned to fame and drugs, becoming an industry pariah. After years of silence, William needs Kurt's help again ... but it's not with inking or coloring. Will Kurt continue William's legacy and join the long line of dreamers and artists who have kept Vanta Black from seeping into our dimension for generations?

And in the comic-within-the-comic, join Kree-Gah, J0N 3:16, Professor Amorphous, The Damned Yankee, and the Spiral Architect as they battle The Primordial Evil, all while Vanta Black grows more powerful. Just past the edges of our understanding, Kurt realizes that his oncecolorful stories have real-world consequences and he is needed to journey beyond our dimension, to the parallel universe he once believed to be fantasy, and join the resistance in the ancient struggle between good and evil. Only then can he save both worlds.

KNIGHTS OF THE 5th DIMENSION is a love letter to Bronze Age comic books and an homage to the Jack Kirby creations that still adorn comic bookshelves, movie screens, and TV sets everywhere. From the minds of artist Walter Flanagan (BATMAN: THE WIDENING GYRE, AMC's COMIC BOOK MEN, TELL 'EM STEVE-DAVE), Writer Casey Van Heel (PALOOKA, THE CIVIL FOUR), and Colorist Wayne Jansen (METRO, CRYPTOZOIC MAN,) and published by Blue Juice Comics (THE ACCELERATORS, ANNE BONNIE, THER & EMPIRE). This battle will require more than dreamers ... our world needs Knights.

• We've seen that Kirby image before, haven't we? Excuse me, "William Gardener."

LEGACY OF VIOLENCE #2 (OF 12)

LIFE AND DEATH OF THE BRAVE CAPTAIN SUAVE #2

MOVEMENTS AND MOMENTS TP

Story: Sonja Eismann, Maya, Ingo Schoningh | Art: Sonja Eismann, Maya, Ingo Schoningh | Drawn & Quarterly | Mature | $29.95

Indigenous Peoples all over the world have always had to stand their ground in the face of colonialism. While the details may differ, what these stories have in common is their commitment to resistance in a world that puts profit before respect, and western notions of progress before their own. Movements and Moments is an introductory glimpse into how Indigenous Peoples tell these stories in their own words.

• Wouldn't it be cool if the U.S. hadn't been so implacably committed to wiping out native tribes, and we had viable native languages and cultures as part of the American identity?

MYSTERY BROTHERS #1

Story: Quentin Lee | Art: Elis Zill | Red 5 Comics | $3.95

When teenage Jin Huang goes to spend the summer with his estranged scientist father, Huang Ming Guang, he gets an unexpected surprise.  Jin meets Adam, another teen who is introduced as his stepbrother. As Jin explores the research facility on the private island, he soon realizes his strange new brother holds a mysterious secret.

PHANTASMAGORIA #3

PLANET COMICS #11

QUINTARA STONE #2

ROGUE STATE #1

Story: Matteo Pizzolo | Art/Cover: Carlos Granda | Black Mask Studios | Mature | $4.99

What if a contested Presidential election plunged America into turmoil? What if political violence consumed the streets? And what if a raging Supreme Court, in a strict interpretation of the 2nd Amendment, legitimized and deputized all militias, transforming the entire country into a paramilitary police state?

What if a freedom fighter emerged from the chaos, raised a civilian army, and carved out a territory across the United States? ... pushing out police, militias and National Guard ... enforcing its own laws ... Sovereign.

What if Americans refused to be governed?

In this speculative fiction comic book series ripped from tomorrow's headlines, a mysterious figure named Vya of Brightstars will rise from the crisis, but is she a freedom fighter or a terrorist? Either way, her rogue state will not just blaze a path across America, it will also inspire others to raise their own armies ... some in solidarity, others in opposition.

"ROGUE STATE ... is a genre known as 'speculative fiction.' Except that it doesn't seem as speculative anymore." — The San Francisco Chronicle

From writer Matteo Pizzolo (CALEXIT, GODKILLER) and artist Carlos Granda (PIROUETTE, CALEXIT: SAN DIEGO), comes this tale of rebelling against tyranny, reconquering stolen land, punching fascists in the face, and building a better nation.

• I am so tired of dystopic politics. We're living them already!

SAMURAI 2.0 #4 (OF 4)

SARA GN

Story: Garth Ennis | Art/Cover: Steve Epting | TKO Studios | $19.99

From bestselling writer Garth Ennis and Steve Epting, Sara is a gripping war story following a team of female Russian snipers as they beat back the Nazi invaders during a brutal winter campaign on the WWII Eastern Front. In the cold winter of 1942, Soviet sniper Sara and her comrades fight against Nazi invaders. But as the fighting intensifies, can their squad survive? Inspired by true events.

• I still remember Ennis' "Night Witches" vividly. I suspect this will be equally good.

SHE BITES #2

SHEPHERD THE VALENTINE #3 (OF 3)

SPACE CORPS COLLECTED EDITION TP

SPARKS OF CHAOS #1 (OF 3)

Story: Temur Schelm | Art: Alexander Malyshev, Gleb Melnikov | Cover: Alex Makarov | CEX Publishing | $7.99

An epic journey begins here! A century ago, the ancient demigods were hunted down and forgotten by humanity. Now, they're fighting back, in a steampunk twist on ancient myths! Featuring interconnected A Covers in the style of a Greek vase, each oversized issue contains 48 pages of Gods and Monsters battling for the fate of our world!

• If you're female, are you really going to trust a Greek demigod with goat legs? You know what he's all about.

STILL ALIVE HC

Story/Art: Safdar Ahmed | Fantagraphics | $30.00

Safdar Ahmed visited Sydney's Villawood Immigration Detention Centre in 2011. He brought pencils and sketchwith him and began drawing with the detainees. Weaving journalism, history and autobiography, Still Alive is an intensely personal indictment of Australia's refugee detention policies and procedures, which are not unlike those in many Western nations. It is also a searching reflection on the redemppower of art. (And death metal.)

• "Redemppower"? Not happening. That's a portmanteau too far!

STRGRL VOL 1 TP

SUPERBABES STARRING FEMFORCE #12

TEMUDJIN HC

Story: Antoine Ozanam | Art: Antoine Carrion | Magnetic Press | Mature | $34.99

A child is born in an ancient distant land, celebrated by the shaman Ozbeg who senses the spirit of greatness inside him. This boy, Temudjin, must be guided to listen to the voices of nature around him, for one day, he will lead the Mongol clans to glory as the reborn Genghis Khan.

• Is it Biography Week and nobody told me? Or is this a new story based on the original?

TERRY & THE PIRATES MASTER COLLECTION VOL 2 HC

• Attention, Terry collectors!

TERRY & THE PIRATES MASTER COLLECTION VOL 3 HC

• Ibid!

TOWER OF GOD VOL 1 GN

TRISKELE #6

UNPREPPED #4 (OF 5)

VAN HELSING: RITES OF SHADOWS ONE-SHOT

WALT DISNEY'S UNCLE SCROOGE & DONALD DUCK: BEAR MOUNTAIN TALES HC

WEST OF SUNDOWN #6

Story: Aaron Campbell, Tim Seeley | Art: Jim Terry | Covers: Aaron Campbell, Jim Terry, Tim Seeley, Jenny Frison | $4.99

Vault is thrilled to announce that WEST OF SUNDOWN has been expanded into an ongoing series after readership for the series has grown significantly. To celebrate, the epic second arc will launch with a gorgeous and terrifying variant cover from the mighty Jenny Frison.

WEST OF SUNDOWN is a Western tale of survival starring a cast of literary horrors that center around a beautiful vampire who must flee monster slayers in New York City and reclaim the ancestral soil that restores her undead flesh. But the world has changed since she was reborn in the New Mexico desert, and now Constance der Abend and her loyal assistant Dooley must adapt to life in the rough frontier town of Sangre de Moro, where all sorts of monsters have settled.

Sangre De Moro has accepted its strange new residents: a vampire, her thrall, Frankenstein's monster, and the would-be mad scientist, Griffin. But a new threat has come for the evil-saturated soil of the mesa: Aristide Moreau and his strange companions.

"WEST OF SUNDOWN is about the great mythologies of the old world slamming into the folklore of the new world ... the legends of Europe, and the birth of the American beast," said Seeley. "And, taking that theme as a skeleton, we've draped it with the sewed together skin of Sergio Leone Westerns and Hammer Horror films. Gritty sunsets meets foggy nights. The gothic graveyard meets Boot Hill. What horrors lie in our shared unconsciousness, and how do we stuff them all into a too-tight corset?”

• I think American Vampire beat this book to the punch, but it is a cool concept that bears more than one take.

ZORRO MASTERS VOL 2 ALEX TOTH #1

Story/Art: Various | Covers: Alex Toth, photo | American Mythology Productions | $3.99

Celebrate 100+ years of the original swashbuckling hero, Zorro with a one-of-a-kind must have collector's edition! We are proud to deliver a comic that brings the amazing illustrating visionaries that made Zorro a household name together in the ultimate Zorro pin up gallery. Zorro: A Century of Swashbuckling collects the most incredible historic comic covers from a host of legendary creators including: Alex Toth, Frank Miller, Michael Kaluta, Adam Hughes, Mike Grell, George Perez, Joseph Michael Linsner, Thomas Yeates and many more! Join us for a century celebration and get a copy of this important piece of The Masked Avenger's history.

• The description doesn't match the title or covers. I'm guessing the actual book will be all Toth, and all Toth is what I want. But I want all the Toth, between two hard covers, because I have been spoiled by the Golden Age of Reprints.

INTERESTING BOOKS & MAGAZINES

BACK ISSUE #140

CASTLE OF FRANKENSTEIN #36

HEAVY METAL #319

HORRORHOUND #95

LOCUS MAGAZINE #742

MAUS NOW: SELECTED WRITING HC

NUMBER ONE IS WALKING: LIFE IN THE MOVIES HC

• Steve Martin

SHUDDER #8

SIR ALFRED #3

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Sadly, the TV show is so much better that I've lost interest in the comic book."

That about sums it up for me, too.

"BATMAN/SPAWN: THE CLASSIC COLLECTION HC"

"Classic." *snort*

"STARGIRL: THE LOST CHILDREN #1"

Isn't this tied in to The New Golden Age one-shot somehow?

"One of these days, I've really got to watch one of the Bill & Ted movies."

Let me know what you think. (I'll watch the Kevin Smith ones.)

"We've seen that Kirby image before, haven't we?"

I don't know about that, but "Walter Flanigan" is one of the guys from Comic Book Men.

"If you're female, are you really going to trust a Greek demigod with goat legs? You know what he's all about."

If you look at that guy from the waist up I think you still know what he's all about.

"TERRY & THE PIRATES MASTER COLLECTION"

I'm sure these are gorgeous, but there are less expensive formats. (These go between $100 and $125 a pop.)

"But I want all the Toth, between two hard covers"

Hermes Press has released such a volume... if you can still find one.

• Killadelphia - I may need to read this. - Yes, you do, one of my favorite series going on right now.

There has been praise for Jason on this board. So here's some more Jason. - I was turned on to Jason from Heidi MacDonald I believe, outside O Josephine! I think he has been great,

Wouldn't it be cool if the U.S. hadn't been so implacably committed to wiping out native tribes, and we had viable native languages and cultures as part of the American identity?- As opposed to the tribes being committed to wiping each other out? There is a reason why the Tonkawa helped the the U.S. cavalry track the Comanche down.

WEST OF SUNDOWN #6 I think American Vampire beat this book to the punch, but it is a cool concept that bears more than one take. - I've read both, and I've enjoyed the quicker pace of this series,

• Skipper,  the "Human Bomb Jr."  is "Cherry Bomb".  The guy in the hood in "John Henry Jr.".  The Miss America girl is"Betsy Ross".  The girl holding the silver pitcher is Molly Pitcher, not Gimmix..  We discussed them here.

• "STARGIRL: THE LOST CHILDREN #1"
    • Isn't this tied in to The New Golden Age one-shot somehow?

I didn't know that, but The Baron spreads the information below.

• "TERRY & THE PIRATES MASTER COLLECTION"
    • I'm sure these are gorgeous, but there are less expensive formats. (These go between $100 and $125 a pop.)

I'm tempted, but I already have a complete "Terry & The Pirates" somewhere, from Fantagraphics, I think. I think I read about half of it before losing interest. So I'm not likely to duplicate needlessly.

• "But I want all the Toth, between two hard covers"
    • Hermes Press has released such a volume... if you can still find one.

I have two volumes of "Zorro: The Complete Pre-Code Dell" stories ... is that the same thing?

• Killadelphia - I may need to read this. - Yes, you do, one of my favorite series going on right now.

Looks like Instocktrades may have that Deluxe version as early as tomorrow (Nov. 15), which seems like a fine way for me to start.

• Wouldn't it be cool if the U.S. hadn't been so implacably committed to wiping out native tribes, and we had viable native languages and cultures as part of the American identity?- As opposed to the tribes being committed to wiping each other out? There is a reason why the Tonkawa helped the the U.S. cavalry track the Comanche down.

Europeans have been committed to wiping each other out for a long time, and are currently doing so in Ukraine. People are the same everywhere, and I don't mean to put Native Americans on any kind of pedestal. I just wish that Natives had been absorbed by American culture rather than wiped out -- so that Cherokee had been available at my high school, and that Comanche words were as common in American English as French ones. The only Native words I know are geography (Mississippi, et al), and I've never met a Native American. The introduction of more Native culture, lingo and DNA to the American stew could only have enriched us. Plus, it's unique -- we certainly used Navajo to good effect in WWII. Drove the Axis codebreakers crazy!

• WEST OF SUNDOWN #6 I think American Vampire beat this book to the punch, but it is a cool concept that bears more than one take. - I've read both, and I've enjoyed the quicker pace of this series.

To be honest, I thought American Vampire started out with a bang and a mind-blowing concept, and kept introducing interesting, uniquely American characters (flapper vampire, Fonzie/Elvis vampire, etc.). It was Scott Snyder at his best. But about halfway through the focus shifted to the  slow, obvious and unwelcome redemption of the despicable Skinner Sweet. This is yet another time where a good writer I otherwise enjoy seems enamored of a character that I despise. (See: Negan) I read everything after the Lord of Nightmares spinoff miniseries (which was good) mostly out of obligation. I'll try West of Sundown (cool name) a try when an attractive package (i.e., hardback) comes along.

• Skipper,  the "Human Bomb Jr."  is "Cherry Bomb".  The guy in the hood in "John Henry Jr.".  The Miss America girl is"Betsy Ross".  The girl holding the silver pitcher is Molly Pitcher, not Gimmix..  We discussed them here.

D'oh! I feel dumber than usual! I completely missed that discussion, Bob, and didn't pick up New Golden Age, and therefore didn't know that all of the characters on that cover had been named already. I was just having fun, guessing who they might be before Stargirl: The Lost Children came out and settled the issue. Little did I know the issue had been settled already! Thanks for setting me straight.

But: "Cherry Bomb"? Really? Fifty years ago that was a kind of firecracker, but now it's a stripper name.

• With information supplied by Bob's The New Golden Age thread, here are my new guesses and IDs for that Stargirl cover:

• Dan the Dyna-Mite: TNT's sidekick in the 1940s.
    • Secret: A modern character from Young Justice.
    • Robbie the Robot Dog: A robot canine who served as a sidekick for Robotman (Robert Crane version).
    • Second Sweep: Hourman's 1940s sidekicks were the Minute-Men of America, and Thorndyke Thompkins was foremost among them. He was retconned in Young Justice as having been an actual, Miraclo-powered sidekick named Second Sweep, but appeared as an old man. Perhaps this is a relative.
    • Airwave: Another modern character, who has the powers of the Golden Age Airwave, and is Hal Jordan's cousin. Briefly went by Maser before New 52.
    • Betsy Ross: Introduced in The New Golden Age.
    • John Henry Jr.: Introduced in The New Golden Age.
    • Molly Pitcher: Introduced in The New Golden Age.
    • Wing: Crimson Avenger's sidekick.
    • Newsboy Legion: Likely the clone versions of Tommy, Scrapper, Gabby, Flipper and Big Words.
    • Cherry Bomb: Introduced in The New Golden Age.

I still expect some changes to this list, or at least explanations, like with Second Sweep. I'm not positive about IDs like Secret and Airwave, either.

• Cap said

Europeans have been committed to wiping each other out for a long time, and are currently doing so in Ukraine. People are the same everywhere, and I don't mean to put Native Americans on any kind of pedestal. I just wish that Natives had been absorbed by American culture rather than wiped out -- so that Cherokee had been available at my high school, and that Comanche words were as common in American English as French ones. The only Native words I know are geography (Mississippi, et al), and I've never met a Native American. The introduction of more Native culture, lingo and DNA to the American stew could only have enriched us. Plus, it's unique -- we certainly used Navajo to good effect in WWII. Drove the Axis codebreakers crazy!

I get were you are coming from, and I definitely wasn't trying to pick on you. All to often people try to present the native tribe as being all good and if hadn't been for the Europeans, everything would have been a utopia around here, and that is far from the truth. Hell, if it wasn't for the Europeans bringing horses over, the Comanche never would have risen to the heights they did.

Was it intentional to omit the Native American culture in schools or not? Did they just put that on the people to carry that over? I don't know. Heck, I kind of wished Vietnamese was offered when I went to school, I think students, including me, would have gotten more out of that over French, German, or Latin. 

All of that being said, I will take the opportunity to recommend Empire of the Summer Moon by S.C. Gwynne. It mainly deals with the rise and fall of the Comanche but touches on other Native Americans as well as Texas/American history. I found it pretty even handed (everyone was out to screw everyone else over). One of my favorite books. It was a finalist for the Pulitzer Prize for Nonfiction.

• Thanks for the recommendation: Ordered from Amazon as of today!

I definitely wasn't trying to pick on you.

Never crossed my mind.

All too often people try to present the native tribe as being all good and if hadn't been for the Europeans ...

You mean the "all good" people who invented scalping?

Was it intentional to omit the Native American culture in schools or not?

OK, I was agreeing until now. But here you're being disingenuous.

There was no decision to make, since Natives aren't part of the melting pot. Unlike the Irish, the Italians, Blacks, Jews and other groups that fought to be part of the American conversation, Natives did fight ... but are mostly just dead now.

And now the option is closed. Which is what I'm being wistful about.

I kind of wished Vietnamese was offered when I went to school, I think students, including me, would have gotten more out of that over French, German, or Latin.

Our high schools should be teaching Mandarin or Arabic. That's what our military and intelligence services need.

I'm pretty sure I'm not addressing your point, Travis, because I'm genuinely not sure what it is. I mean, I was heading for Vietnam in high school, and I was terrified. (I got lucky; the war ended.) That's what Vietnam means to me, so your reference goes over my head.

Tell me what you mean. I promise that this is, as Commander Benson says, an honest and genuine forum. As long as it's not in violation of the rules of the board, I will have your back.

• One of these days, I've really got to watch one of the Bill & Ted movies.

I recommend the first one. They go into the past and interact with (versions of) historical characters. It gets pretty amusing. I finally got into them when I stumbled upon the fact that it is set in (a version of) San Dimas, California, which is "spitting distance" from me. Still have to watch the much delayed third movie.

• Jeff of Earth-J, are you reading this? It may save me from having to watch and report!

This reply was deleted.