Comics Guide: Nov. 28-Dec. 4, 2022

BOOM! STUDIOS

APPROACH #2 (OF 5)

BRIAR #2 (OF 4)

DAMN THEM ALL #2 (OF 6)

MAGIC: NAHIRI THE LITHOMANCER #1

Story: Seanan McGuire | Art: Kath Lobo | Cover: Ariel Olivetti | $8.99

Nebula, Hugo, Locus and Alex Award-winning novelist Seanan McGuire (Ghost-Spider) returns to the world of Magic: The Gathering along with Kath Lobo to bring Nahiri the Lithomancer to comics!

Nahiri — also known as The Harbinger — has protected her home plane of Zendikar for centuries, her ruthlessness and terrible deeds kept in check by a strong sense of justice.

But her fate is far from decided, and a new challenge awaits that may change the way the entire Multiverse perceives her.

ORCS: THE CURSE #4 (OF 4)

DARK HORSE COMICS

DEAD MALL #2 (OF 4)

KOSHCHEI IN HELL #1 (OF 4)

Legendary Hellboy creator Mike Mignola is returning to Hell, along with acclaimed artist Ben Stenbeck and award-winning colorist Dave Stewart, for KOSHCHEI IN HELL, an all-new four-issue miniseries from Dark Horse Comics. Sent to kill Hellboy by the Baba Yaga in Hellboy: Darkness Calls, Koshchei the Deathless hinted at a long and tragic life before being enslaved to the Slavic witch. Now, in this new series, Koshchei is still in Hell content with his wine and his books — until an old associate arrives and brings Koshchei a critical task. An ancient and powerful foe is returning, and Koshchei must take up his sword to defend Pandemonium from destruction.

“It’s always a pleasure working with Ben, as he can really do everything,” said Mignola. “And there’s just something about how he does things — something very natural and almost quiet — subtle — till it’s time to NOT be subtle. It just really works with the kind of stories I’m trying to tell. And Koshchei — I just love this guy. I’ve really put him through the wringer, but he keeps on going. And Hell — well, is it odd to say I love that place?”

“Koshchei would love to just sit back and read books and drink wine in his socks,” said Stenbeck. “That’s the series Koshchei wants this to be. But that's not what he's getting. He has to leave the house. Then he's going to run into a lot of familiar faces and meet some new ones, and they are pretty much all asking for a fight. Poor old Koshchei, it's never easy.”

Here's a preview.

LEGEND OF KORRA: PATTERNS IN TIME TP

ORGANISMS FROM AN ANCIENT COSMOS HC

Story/Art: S. Craig Zahler | $29.99

Dark Horse Comics and award-winning filmmaker and novelist S. Craig Zahler, director of Bone Tomahawk, Brawl in Cell Block 99 and Dragged Across Concrete, present the supernatural sci-fi thriller Organisms from an Ancient Cosmos.     

An alien spacecraft the size of a city materializes over the Pacific Ocean and the nations of the world jointly engage this enigmatic and incommunicative visitor with force. This battle results in large-scale destruction on both sides, but does not answer any of the questions that will haunt humanity: What are these utterly inhuman creatures? Where did they come from? Why did they choose to visit our planet? And, most importantly, are more forces on the way?  For the bereaved billionaire Carlton Land, renowned biologist Aimee O'Donnell and the brilliant, but blunt USAAF Chief Scientist Kenneth Yamazaki, these questions must be answered in order to safeguard the future of the human race.

“My first artistic interest was illustration, and after writing eight novels, recording nine albums, and directing three movies, it was a pleasure to draw once more. In this graphic novel, which is my second, I explore morally complex characters, intimate human drama, large-scale world building and speculative science,” S. Craig Zahler shared. “I began working on the piece at the very beginning of lockdown and finished more than a year later when I received my first vaccine. Creating Organisms from an Ancient Cosmos was an incredibly gratifying experience, and I’m thrilled to have it published by Dark Horse Comics, whose books I’ve read since the '80s.”

Praise for S. Craig Zahler and Organisms from an Ancient Cosmos:

“S. Craig Zahler is certain to become one of the great imaginers of our time.” — Clive Barker

“I had the best time reading this graphic novel. I never knew where it was going or how. I was delighted with every choice and page turn.” — Brian Michael Bendis

Organisms from an Ancient Cosmos is a hefty dose of world-spanning, relationship-spanning, time-spanning, galaxy-spanning weirdness with the perfect amount of alienism and humanism. S. Craig Zahler has created a tale of cosmic terror, heartbreak and hope unlike anything else you’ll read anytime soon.” — Cullen Bunn

“What a fantastic read!” — Patton Oswalt

• This book has been bumped week after week after week. Looks like it's finally going to arrive.
  • Here's a preview.

ROADIE #3 (OF 4)

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES #1 (OF 8)

Story: Daniel Jose Older | Art: Tony Bruno | Cover: Harvey Tolibao | $3.99

For young Padawan Sav Malagan, joining the ranks of the noble Jedi Order has been all she's ever wanted. But a chance encounter with a crew of eccentric misfits makes her question everything she's taken for granted in her life. Trapped aboard the ship of infamous space pirate Maz Kanata, will Save ever be able to rejoin the Jedi? And if she spends much long with Maz and her crew, will she even want to?

• How many Star Wars comics are there?
  • Here's a preview.

SUPER SPY HC

DC COMICS

AQUAMEN TP

BATGIRLS 2022 ANNUAL #1

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad | Art/Cover: Robbi Rodriguez | $5.99

It's a freaky Friday when the Batgirls wake up inside each other's bodies! That can't be possible, right? It's only stuff you see in the movies? Except Oracle has seen this happen before and the only person who may have the antidote to swap their bodies back ... is Batman! And to make matters worse, Lady Shiva is here confronting her daughter about something ... and it's up to Steph to put on her best Cass to get through it!

• Heads up, Batgirls fans!

BLUE BEETLE: GRADUATION DAY #1 (OF 6)

Story: Josh Trujillo | Art: Adrián Gutiérrez | Colors: Wil Quintana | Letters: Lucas Gattoni | Variants: Cully Hamner, Rafael Albuquerque David Marquez & Alejandro Sánchez | $3.99

Jaime Reyes, a.k.a. DC’s Blue Beetle, will debut in a new solo comic book series that will be simultaneously available in both English and Spanish editions.

Jaime Reyes has a lot to juggle. Whether it's his finals for senior year or a new villain tearing up El Paso, Jaime is always torn between two worlds. But when his worlds come crashing together at his high school graduation, nothing will ever be the same. A message from the Reach bombards Jaime's scarab, Khaji Da, and it starts throwing off his connection to the device. And as if that wasn't enough, Jaime's parents and friends are pressuring him about his next steps in life. But what's hidden here on Earth that's drawing the Reach back? And where did this new Fadeaway Man come from? Can Jaime find balance in his life and rise to become a true hero, or is it curtains for Blue Beetle?

DC’S GRIFTER GOT RUN OVER BY A REINDEER #1 ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Carlos Danda | $9.99

Written by Derek Fridolfs, John Layman, Max Bemis, Cavan Scott, Michael Conrad, Scott Bryan Wilson, and more! Art by Dustin Nguyen, Fico Ossio, Christopher Mitten, Skylar Patridge, and others Ho-ho-ho my gosh, it's time to deck the halls with holly ... er, Harley Quinn, Batman, and more of your favorite DC superstars! Who made it to the Nice List? Hawkman? Black Canary? Is that Animal Man on the naughty list? And how did Grifter find himself in the targeting sights of those pesky reindeer! Get one for you and an extra for a loved one's stocking (yule be glad you did!) in this holiday song celebration!

JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #1

Story: Geoff Johns | Art/Cover: Mikel Janin | Variants:Yanick Paquette, Joe Quinones, Jerry Ordway, Steve Lieber | $3.99 | 32 pages | Variant $4.99 (card stock)

After making their long awaited return in the pages of Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths #3, the Justice Society of America (JSA) are back in Justice Society of America: The New Golden Age Part One. Or are they? A long-lost hero from the JSA crashes into our era with a grave warning ... but it’s too late. A mysterious and malevolent enemy has invaded the entire history of the JSA, and an all-new team must come together to defeat it. But what deadly secret does this messenger from beyond keep? Where are they from? And why is all of this happening now? Only the Time Masters know …

“There will be familiar faces re-joining the team, like Jay Garrick and Alan Scott, as well as long-lost members returning, like Beth Chapel and Yolanda Montez, and a new Golden Age legacy hero first hinted at in the end of Flashpoint Beyond. Mikel Janin is doing the work of his career on this,” added Johns.

NIGHTWING 2022 ANNUAL #1

Story: Tom Taylor | Art/Cover: Eduardo Pansica, Julio Ferreira | $5.99

WHO IS HEARTLESS? Find out who the villain is behind the platinum mask, and why he only collects the hearts of some victims and not others ... and why he has no heart himself. Then: Bitewing: Year One! Follow Haley in her first year with her humans Nightwing and Batgirl and see how she takes a bite out of crime in her first year becoming Bitewing!

NUBIA AND THE JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad, Stephanie Williams | Art: Amancay Nahuelpan, Alitha Martinez | Cover: Travis Moore | $5.99

In honor of her 50th anniversary, Nubia is joining the Justice League! After years separated from Man's World, the Amazons' most powerful warrior and now queen has been called in to save the day and work alongside the world's greatest heroes. What danger awaits our hero and her new teammates? Find out in this special that shows a bright new future for the character!

SUPERMAN KAL-EL RETURNS SPECIAL #1 (ONE SHOT)

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Dan Mora | $5.99

Written by Mark Waid, Sina Grace, Alex Segura and Marv Wolfman Art by Max Raynor, Dean Haspiel, Jack Herbert, and Reilly Brown Kal-El has returned from his long sojourn to Warworld, but what ramifications does this hold for the broader DC Universe? In this special issue, we'll spotlight Kal-El's reunion with the Dark Knight, Jimmy Olsen, the Justice League, and...Lex Luthor?! Plus: witness the never-before-revealed look at the moments leading to Superman's abduction by Pariah in the Dark Crisis event! The march toward Action Comics #1050 continues in this essential special volume!

• I'm glad they didn't give him gray at the temples. Didn't work for Hal Jordan very well.

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL VOL 2 HC

SUPERMAN: THE GOLDEN AGE OMNIBUS VOL 7 HC

• At last!

WILDSTORM 30TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL #1 (ONE SHOT)

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Jim Lee | 96 pages | $7.99

In 1992 Jim Lee changed the course of comics history with the founding of WildStorm Productions, which would revolutionize the business and launch the careers of so many top creators. 30 years later the impact of the imprint, character and creators is felt to this day! In honor of this legacy comes a 100 page giant that pays homage to the past...and looks toward the future! Part of this mammoth special will be reprinting--for the first time in periodical form!-- short stories from the acclaimed WildStorm: A Celebration of 25 Years hardcover, including stories by Jim Lee, J. Scott Campbell, Brett Booth, Dustin Nguyen and more...and also included will be new stories featuring WildStorm characters in the DC Core line, charting their future in the DC Universe.

• In a perfect world, the Wildstorm characters would operate in their own universe, where they were free to do more R-rated things than allowed in the DC Universe, and the Fawcett characters were in their own universe, free to do G-rated things — and neither were in the DC Universe, where they have to be as PG-13 as everyone else, and are more or less redundant.

WORLD OF KRYPTON TP

DYNAMITE

007 #4

AOD VS. REANIMATOR: NECRONOMICON RISING #5

CAT-MAN ONE-SHOT

Story: Jeff Parker | Art: Joseph Cooper | Cover: Jung-Geun Yoon | $4.99

An astonishing standalone superhero story that only Jeff Parker could create! Witness the heroic Cat-Man and his loyal sidekick Kitten as they become embroiled in a dangerous race to recover a priceless artifact that may hold the key to conjuring an ancient god of death! Can our classic adventurers evade pterodactyls, throw hands with the Lavender Gang and survive the serpentine Snake Men? Find out, in this thrilling one-shot by writer Jeff Parker (Batman '66) and artist Joseph Cooper (Ninjettes)!

• The only thing that distinguished Catman from all the other Batman clones in the '40s, at least to me, was that he had a female sidekick who was, presumably, of age. That beats the heck out of a prepubescent boy.

UNBREAKABLE RED SONJA #2

VAMPIRELLA YEAR ONE #4

IDW PUBLISHING

GODZILLA RIVALS VS. GIGAN ONE-SHOT

STAR TREK #2

STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS #3

SUPER TRASH CLASH GN

IMAGE COMICS

20TH CENTURY MEN #4 (OF 6)

ASCENDER DLX ED HC

DEAD LUCKY #4

FLAWED #3 (OF 6)

KILLADELPHIA #25

KING SPAWN #17

LOVESICK #2 (OF 7)

PLUSH #1 (OF 6)

Story: Doug Wagner | Art: Daniel Hillyard | Covers: Daniel Hillyard & Rico Renzi, Tony Fleecs, Jorge Corona & Sarah Stern | Mature | $3.99

Serial-killing, cannibalistic furries! Plastic and Vinyl creators Doug Wagner and Daniel Hillyard team up with colorist extraordinaire Rico Renzi for their disturbing neon-horror, Plush. This six-issue miniseries will launch from Image Comics and put a spin on fursuit psychopaths this November.

"Okay, let’s be candid here. If you’ve read Plastic or Vinyl, you already know Daniel and I ain’t right in the head," said Wagner. "Well, Plush is our most ambitious serial killer, dark comedy, ridiculously bloody, love story yet. This time we just put everyone in fursuits."

In Plush, Devin Fulcher is coerced into attending his first furry convention. When he accidentally happens upon a group of furries devouring a human, the insanity begins. Do they just want Devin for dinner … or something much more wicked?

Hillyard added: "Doug’s correct, he and I ain’t right in the head, and we can’t wait to show you. Lovable killers who are sweet at heart while eating them. Plush is our latest gore baby of blood-splattered cannibal romance. If you enjoyed Plastic and Vinyl, this one is for you."

• Cannibalism is having a moment, innit?

ROGUE SUN #8

SPAWN ORIGINS HC VOL 11

STILLWATER BY ZDARSKY & PEREZ #16

SUNBURN TP

Story: Andi Watson | Art/Cover: Simon Gane | $19.99

Rachel is a teenager who lives a gray suburban life in gray suburban England. It's a world of brown sauce, warm beer and scrambled eggs every Tuesday. With her summer already mapped out for her — a job working at the butcher and a caravan holiday in Clacton — it seems like this year will only bring more of the same. So when family friends invite her to spend the summer with them in Greece, she jumps at the chance to escape her life and finally be treated like an adult.

The Warners are everything her parents are not — glamorous, sophisticated and carefree — and when Rachel meets Benjamin, a handsome young friend of the Warners, her summer seems to be taking a turn for the better. But there's no escaping the pains of growing up, and she'll soon learn that life on a small island where everyone knows each other's business may not be all it's cracked up to be.

Drawn by SIMON GANE, the artist behind Eisner-nominated Ghost Tree and THEY'RE NOT LIKE US, and written by ANDI WATSON, author of The Book Tour, Kerry and the Knight of the Forest, and the forthcoming Punycorn

MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE ALPHA #1

Story: Jason Aaron | Art/Cover: Bryan Hitch

For nearly five years, the superstar writer has penned an epic Avengers story across over 60 issues of AVENGERS as well as titles like AVENGERS ASSEMBLE and AVENGERS of 1,000,000 BC and now he’ll wrap things up in style in one epic crossover! AVENGERS ASSEMBLE will kick off in November’s AVENGERS ASSEMBLE: ALPHA one-shot before crossing over between issues of AVENGERS and AVENGERS FOREVER beginning in December. Aaron will be joined by a trio of astounding comic talents including artist Bryan Hitch as well as regular AVENGERS and AVENGERS FOREVER artists Javier Garrón and Aaron Kuder.

From throughout time and the far corners of the Multiverse, the Mightiest Heroes of All the Earths are assembling as never before for a battle beyond all imagining. A war that will take us from the prehistoric beginnings of an Earth under assault by the greatest villains who’ve ever lived to the watchtower that stands at the dark heart of the all and the always, where an army of unprecedented evil now rises. The biggest Avengers saga in Marvel history is on the horizon and right now, fans can see how the story will unfold come December! 

In AVENGERS #63, it’s the showdown fans have been waiting for — THE BATTLE OF 1,000,000 BC! The Avengers stand face-to-face with their prehistoric counterparts, the Avengers of 1,000,000 BC! But if the two groups cannot work together, they have no hope of defeating Doom Supreme and his marauding band of Multiversal Masters of Evil, who have come to erase all of Marvel history as we know it..

In AVENGERS FOREVER #12, witness THE SIEGE OF INFINITY TOWER! The all Steve Rogers Howling Commandos. The interstellar air force that is the Carol Corps. The Star Panther. The God of Fists. The Invincible Ant-Man, Tony Stark. Together, they are the greatest army of Avengers ever assembled. But will they be enough to protect the Avengers Tower at Infinity’s End? Because Mephisto has come to claim that tower’s secrets, and he’s brought an army of his own.

“Four years of Avengers stories. Threads from really every major series I've worked on throughout my last decade and a half at Marvel, from Ghost Rider to Thor. It all leads to this. The biggest Avengers story I could possibly imagine,” Aaron said. “Featuring a cavalcade of characters from across creation. And I'm so deeply thrilled and honored that it all kicks off with an oversized Alpha issue that's being drawn by the legendary Bryan Hitch, who I'm getting to work with here for the very first time. Avengers Assemble. Say the words like a prayer. It's the only thing that can save you.”

BEST MARVEL STORIES BY STAN LEE OMNIBUS HC

• It is beyond the pale of the possible that I don't already have whatever's in this book already, in multiple formats.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #7

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #7

"Cold War" prelude

Story: Tochi Onyebuchi | Art: IG Guara | Cover: R.B. SILVA

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #7, featuring guest artist Ig Guara, the White Wolf’s latest attack has put Falcon in critical condition and sparked a civil war in Mohannda. When Sam Wilson’s role as Captain America prevents him from pursuing his own justice on an international scale, his government contact sets him up with a surprising new partner — an old ally long thought dead. As teased yesterday, It’s the return of Nomad! But who will bear the mantle this time, and will their assistance be a blessing or a curse?

IRON FIST: SHATTERED SWORD TP

NEW WARRIORS CLASSIC OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

PARKER/MILES SPIDER-MEN: DOUBLE TROUBLE #1 (OF 4)

Story: Mariko Tamaki, Vita Ayala | Art/Cover: Gurihiru | Teen+ | $3.99

They're friends, heroes and ... sidekicks? Peter has dragged Miles into Take Your Sidekick to Work Day, and Miles is not amused — they're both Spider-Man, after all! So when Peter makes a mistake that unleashes villainous shenanigans on New York City, it's up to Miles to save the day - and prove who's the true sidekick among the Spider-Men. Vita Ayala joins the fan-favorite team that brought you SPIDER-MAN & VENOM: DOUBLE TROUBLE and THOR & LOKI: DOUBLE TROUBLE for a brand-new adventure!

PLANET HULK: WORLDBREAKER #1 (OF 5)

Story: Greg Pak | Art: Manuel Garcia | Cover: Carlo Pagulayan | Teen | $4.99

MILLENNIUM!

A thousand years from now on the planet Sakaar, a young woman with green skin searches for the legendary Green Scar to help save her brother from a group of apocalyptic cultists. But which Hulk will she find? And after all these years, is he truly the Sakaarson, who will save us all — or the Worldbreaker, who will destroy us?

A shocking expansion and culmination of the mythos of Sakaar and the heart of the Hulks from PLANET HULK scribe Greg Pak and visionary DEVIL'S REIGN artist Manuel Garcia.

SAVAGE SPIDER-MAN TP

STAR WARS DARTH VADER #29

STRANGE #8

STRANGE ACADEMY FINALS #2

THOR EPIC COLLECTION: BLOOD AND THUNDER TP

WOLVERINE: PATCH TP

• I bought the first issue of this and then forgot I was buying it.

X-FACTOR BY PETER DAVID OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

X-TERMINATORS #3 (OF 5)

OTHER COMICS

ABSOLUTION #5 (OF 5)

ASCENDANCE OF A BOOKWORM PART 2 VOL 5 GN

ATTACK ON TITAN COLOSSAL EDITION VOL 7 TP

AUGUST PURGATORY UNDERGROUND #3

BABY BLUES COLLECTION: MULTITASKING TP

BANKS COLLECTORS BOX SET

BECOMING FRANKENSTEIN #4

BLUE PERIOD VOL 11 GN

BOB PHANTOM #1 ONE-SHOT

Script: James III | Art: Richard Ortiz, Matt Herms, Jack Morelli | Cover: Tim Seeley, Matt Herms | Variant Cover: Jamal Igle | 32 pages | $3.99

By day, he’s Walter Whitney, a fledgling theater columnist with a wild imagination, but by night he’s Bob Phantom, the “Scourge of the Underworld” — or is he? Using his power to become immaterial, Walt beats up criminals and then breaks the news of his exploits in his newspaper column ... but New York City is not as it once was, and with less crime that means less news. So, if there’s no crime left to fight, there’s only one thing to do: create enemies. Is Bob Phantom really the Scourge of the Underworld, or its leader?

Archie Comics is bringing the classic superhero BOB PHANTOM out of the Golden Age vault and into the modern era in an all-new one-shot comic book hitting stores in November! Writer James III (Netflix's Astronomy Club) and artist Richard Ortiz (THE FOX) set their mind-bending noir-tinged adventure in the shadowy alleyways of New York City's theater district, with a hero who may be the story's villain, as well.

“[James] is the exact type of person you want on a project like this," said Archie Comics Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante. "He's dusting off Bob Phantom's cobwebs and giving him a second chance to be a main event player."

Bob Phantom was one of Archie's earliest superhero characters, introduced in 1939's BLUE RIBBON COMICS #2 in a story drawn by comics legend Irv Novick. Boasting a multitude of superpowers and talents, he fought crime by night and worked as theater critic and gossip columnist Walt Whitney by day, often antagonizing police. In the new version, James III explores the possibility that Walt's anti-authoritarian streak may run deeper than the surface as he creates news in order to report it.

James said, "With BOB PHANTOM, I wanted to explore what it means to write news today when everyone gets their news from the headlines on their Twitter feed without reading the articles, and you can’t tell what’s legitimate and what’s fake. (To use loaded terminology.) This might make you question your validity as a journalist and your worth as a person in society. I was heavily inspired by crime stories with news elements like Road to Perdition and Nightcrawler. What brings a person to snap pictures first and provide assistance later or not at all?"

Bob Phantom's fanciful powers may also be too fanciful to be true, as the new story takes a surreal turn into Walt's dreams. Jamie added, "We'll see glimpses of the cold realities of the real world alongside dreamscapes of the imagination. The juxtaposition of the two takes this from a standard superhero story to something that deftly blends surrealism with noir. There's a lot going on in this story, and a lot that can be carried over into more in the future!”

• It's hard to be a Golden Age hero in limbo. Someone's always trying to drag you out and turn you into a bad guy.
  • Here's a preview.

BOOGYMAN #3

BOOK OF MR. NATURAL TP (NEW PTG)

Story/Art: R. Crumb | Fantagraphics | Mature | $24.99

Robert Crumb's The Book of Mr. Natural is probably the most famous underground comix character of all time, recognizable even to "civilians." Don't miss this opportunity to snatch up this jam-packed collection of comics from one of the all-time masters!

CARRIERS SEASON ONE VOL 1 TP

CAT KID COMIC CLUB VOL 4: COLLABORATIONS HC DUST JACKET

CIGUATERA VOL 3 GN

CIH PRESENTS BTVRK ONE-SHOT

CLASSMATES VOL GN

CLIMATE CRISIS CHRONICLES GN

Story: Ethan Sacks | Art/Cover: Dakbor Talajic | AWA | $9.99

An illustrated feature of ten stories chronicling life on the frontlines of the global climate crisis from the team that brought you Covid Chronicles, journalist Ethan Sacks (Old Man Hawkeye) and illustrator Dalibor Talaji (Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, Hotell). From a firefighter battling seasonal forest fires in California to a human rights activist picking up the pieces after a pair of devastating hurricanes in Honduras, Climate Crisis Chronicles puts a human face on the most urgent issue of our age.

CREATURE GIRLS HANDS-ON FIELD JOURNAL WORLD VOL 6 GN

DEAD KINGDOM #2

DELIA GN

Story: Hans Rickheit, Krissy Dorn | Fantagraphics | Mature | $30.00

When Delia receives mysterious radio signals from beyond the planet, her curiosity is sparked. The plucky young scientist teams up with the esteemed Professor Tak and his bohemian son Theodore to convince the skeptical citizenry that this is not all just some elaborate hoax. The implications of her discovery may shatter her world.

Set in an atmospheric '50s-era city in a parallel universe populated by anthropomorphic squirrels, Delia is a sprightly comics collaboration between cartoonist Hans Rickheit (The Squirrel Machine, Cochlea & Eustachia) and his wife, Krissy Dorn. This sci-fi adventure romp brims with dark humor, danger, and ominous allegorical undertones.

DIGGER UNEARTHED COMPLETE 10TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION GN

DILBERT: NOT REMOTELY WORKING TP

DORK TOWER COLLECTION VOL 4: LIVIN LA VIDA DORKA TP

DORK TOWER COLLECTION VOL 5: UNDERSTANDING GAMERS TP

DORK TOWER COLLECTION VOL 10: TAO OF IGOR TP

DRAGON WHISPERER: SEARCH FOR OBSIDIAN #3

DRIFTING DRAGONS VOL 11 GN

DUNGEON BUILDER LABYRINTH MODERN CITY VOL 6 GN

E RATIC RECHARGED #3 (OF 4) 

EKI

Story/Art: Iñaki Azpiazuhas | Lev Gleason-New Friday | $9.99

New Friday is proud to present Eki! Iñaki Azpiazuhas masterfully reinterpreted a classic Basque tale for a new generation! This short story is presented, for the first time in print, in an oversized format that is an absolute feast for the eyes.

ENOLA HOLMES COLLECTED EDITION VOL 2

ENTER THE BLUE TP

Story/Art: Dave Chisholm | Z2 Comics | Mature | $19.99

When Jessie Choi's mentor Jimmy Hightower collapses at a gig and loses consciousness, she finds herself reluctantly pulled back into the jazz scene she abandoned years earlier. In investigating the music and mystery behind Jimmy's comatose state, every thread leads to the same question: is Jimmy somehow trapped in this enigma known as The Blue? In her search to save her teacher, Jessie rubs shoulders with legends, uncovers the secret history of Blue Note Records, and faces her own deepest fears.

ERO NINJA SCROLLS VOL 4 GN

FEARLESS DAWN #2 (OF 4)

Story/Art: Steve Mannion | Asylum Press

Get the first printing of this amazing series while it lasts! Signed by creator Steve Mannion. Comes bagged and boarded with Certificate of Authenticity.

FIFTH FORCE TP

Story: Matthew Medney | Heavy Metal | $19.99

Earth is on the verge of extinction. We have limited crude oil and our primary fuel sources are negligible. The carbon clouds signal the end of our species. We have but a few options: leave the planet ... or fix it.  We are the TFA, a special Canada-based agency that stumbled across a revolutionary discovery. The fifth Elemental force. Time. We built a time machine based on the new physical sciences, believing we can go back to the "inflection points" of this extinction level event and fix things. The irony here is that the fuel we need to operate the invention, is the very fuel that led us to this juncture.

FIRE FORCE OMNIBUS VOL 1 VOL 1-3 GN

FISTS RAISED: 10 STORIES OF SPORTS STAR ACTIVISTS HC

Story: Karim Nedjari, Chloe Celerien | NBM | 160 pages | $26.99

What does Muhammad Ali, the greatest boxer of all time, have in common with Megan Rapinoe, the badass pink-haired female soccer player?

They achieved perfection, won medals, and lived the glory. But it is above all their raised fists, when, at a time of their envied existence, they dared to sacrifice their privileges to defend a cause greater than their status of adulated champion.

Rich in authentic anecdotes, this book tells the fate of those who paved the way. That of women and men who have written the political, social or cultural history of sport by taking a stand.

Fists Raised: when sports collide with social activism!

FOX & WILLOW: CAME A HARPER VOL 1 HC

FRED PERRY SECRET SKETCHBOOK

Story/Art: Fred Perry | Antarctic Press | $4.99

Gold Digger creator Fred Perry went looking for some missing files, and look what he found behind a forgotten secret door!  Savor this treasure trove of extra-special illustrations, collected for you before they get stored in some dusty corner of the Smithsonian!

GOLD DIGGER XMAS SPECIAL STOCKING STUFFER ONE-SHOT

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #66

GUARDIAN OF THE REALM GN

HELLWITCH VS. LADY DEATH WARGASM #2 (OF 2)

HEROINE HEAVEN #1

Story: Various, Robert Turner, Jack Grogan | Art: Various, Jim Mooney, Nina Albright, Jack Ryan | Cover: Wallace Wood, Mark & Stephanie Heike | AC Comics | $5.95

First issue of a great new full color sampler focusing on reprints of great "Good Girl" art superheroines of comics' Golden Age! Full classic adventures starring Wildfire (drawn by the great Jim Mooney), Lady Fairplay, and Miss Victory, with art by Nina Albright! Great forgotten heroines, back for today's readers.

• At first I thought someone was doing a bad Wally Wood swipe on this cover. But it IS Wally Wood, just a few years before he became WALLY WOOD.

HOW REALIST HERO REBUILT KINGDOM OMNIBUS VOL 4 GN

I GET FEELING THAT NOBUKUNI LIKES ME VOL 1 GN

I THINK OUR SON IS GAY VOL 3 GN

I WAS REINCARNATED AS 7TH PRINCE VOL 2 GN

ILLUSTRATED AL SONGS OF WEIRD AL YANKOVIC HC

Story: "Weird Al" Yankovic | Art: Various | Cover: Drew Friedman, Laura Allred, Mike Allred | Z2 Comics | Mature | $29.99

Five-time Grammy Award-winner and legendary musical satirist "Weird Al" Yankovic has written some ... ALL of the greatest songs of both the 20th and 21st centuries. Z2 has gathered some of the top cartoonists to express Al's "Yankovisions" visually within this book's pages. The great Al-merican songbook features over 20 classic songs interpreted by such artists as Bill Plympton, Peter Bagge, Michael Kupperman, and more!

I'M A TERMINAL CANCER PATIENT BUT I'M FINE GN

IN CLEAR MOONLIT DUSK VOL 1 GN

JOHN CARPENTER'S TALES SCI-FI INTERFERENCE PATTERN #5

KWANDUR GN

LOCUST BALLAD OF MEN #4

LOVE AND LIES VOL 12 GN

MAKING COMIC ZINES ONE-SHOT

MARGINAL OPERATION VOL 12 GN

MOST NOTORIOUS TALKER RUNS GREATEST CLAN NOVEL VOL 3 GN

MOTLEY CRUE THE DIRT DECLASSIFIED

Story: Leah Moore, Motley Crue | Art: John K. Snyder | Cover: Dan Panosian | $24.99

You thought you knew the story behind the world's most notorious rock band ... the music, the mayhem...it is the stuff of rock n roll legend, chronicled in the New York Times bestselling book and subsequent Netflix movie, The Dirt. Now, as Nikki Sixx, Tommy Lee, Vince Neil and Mick Mars emerge from self-imposed exile from all corners of the globe, the REAL story behind the band can finally be told ... as the exploits of Mötley Crüe working as special undercover government operatives are revealed in this graphic novel.

MY BAD VOL 2 #1 (OF 5)

Cover: Peter Krause & Kelly Fitzpatrick

Imagine a world filled with superheroes who have very familiar characteristics … they’re just much sillier than you’re used to. Ahoy Comics’ My Bad fully embraces its premise as a superhero satire. And it’s also not afraid to get super-ridiculous. Last year, co-writers Mark Russell & Bryce Ingman, and artist Peter Krause debuted the first volume of My Bad, which introduced readers to this bizarre new world. And later this month, the same creative team is back for My Bad Vol. 2 #1.

Within Superhero Hype’s exclusive preview for the first issue, an assassin is trying to kill superheroes in their homes. However, he can’t seem to quite narrow down his targets to actual heroes. Meanwhile, Jamington Winthrop, the billionaire playboy who was once known as The Chandelier, is bored out of his mind in retirement. And he also seems likely to restart his caped crusade … just not for any altruistic reasons.

“One of the most hilariously offbeat superhero comics on the stands” (IGN) returns, from the original creative team of Mark Russell (Second Coming), Bryce Ingman, and Peter Krause (Irredeemable)! Someone is killing capes — or would be, if they were better at it. Will this crisis draw the crime-fighting Chandelier out of retirement? PLUS! Emperor King adopts a new costumed identity so he can get a date!”

• Ahoy, Ahoy fans!

MYSTERY BROTHERS #2

NINJA KAIDAN #5 (OF 5)

NOISE GN

PARASYTE COLOR COLLECTION VOL 1 HC

PEACH BOY RIVERSIDE VOL 9 HC

PEANUTS EVERY SUNDAY GIFT BOX SET 1990s HC

PEANUTS EVERY SUNDAY VOL 10 1996-2000 HC

PENGUINA ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Julie Devin | $4.99

Sent in a dimensional portal ship and landing in the Antarctic as a baby, Penguina is found and raised by Samurai Penguin. Leaving to see the world once she's grown, she finds out she has the ability to mimic powers of any comic character if she reads the comic but only for 1 hour!  To keep a low profile, she takes a secret identity working as in intern at a small comic company ... until Penguina is needed!

• Annataz dluohs eus rof thgirypoc tnemegnirfni.

PETER GRILL & PHILOSOPHERS TIME VOL 9 GN

PHANTOM OF THE IDOL VOL 3 GN

PULP BYTES #1

Story/Art: Pat Higgins | $4.99

Pulp Bytes is a collection of standalone horror stories. It draws inspiration from the pulp comics of the past, and examines the unseen, daily dangers and unexpected consequences we face in the modern world.

Synopsis:

Issue one includes two twisted tales of technological terror! The first, “Junebug Bites Back,” is the story of an overbearing pageant mom who gets her just desserts after purchasing supplements from the dark web. In “Terms and Conditions,” Jack and Lacey’s day of distraction turns to a nightmare when they ignore the fine print.

“I love horror anthologies," Pat Higgins said. "Whether it’s E.C. horror comics, The Twilight Zone, Black Mirror, or countless others, they always suck me in. The short stories coupled with the variety of characters and situations are a perfect fit for my short attention span. Pulp Bytes is my own take on the sub-genre…It’s what happens when you take all of my influences, fears, and what-ifs, shake them up in my head, and spit them onto paper. I’ve been wanting to do this project for a long time, and I’ve found the perfect home for it at Scout Comics.”

RECALL GN

Story: Kevin Miller | Art: Danijel Zezelj | Cover: Michael Nelsen | $14.99

A couple finds themselves pursued by mysterious lights in the sky along a remote highway. Is their pursuit a dream or something more sinister? Inspired by the Betty and Barney Hill abduction, the first widely publicized alien abduction in the United States, Recall is a graphic novel about race, romance, and fear.

RENT A GIRLFRIEND GN VOL 15

SAGA OF A DOOMED UNIVERSE #1 (OF 3)

Story/Art:  Scott Reed | $8.99

CEX Publishing is proud to present 1984's most shocking comic book, revealed at last! The heroes have been murdered - all except for Roy Brannon, a costumed loser who could never become the champion that Earth needs. Now, it will be Roy's chance to prove everyone wrong .... even if he has to destroy the entire Universe to do it! This is the comic that changed everything, presented in three triple-sized volumes with six covers, including homages to some of the other comics that changed everything!

• Bragging rights to anyone who takes a stab at figuring out where all these homages came from!

SARA LONE #2

SEVEN DEADLY SINS OMNIBUS VOL 6 GN

SINOALICE VOL 2 GN

SKIP AND LOAFER GN VOL 06

SOUL EATER PERFECT EDITION HC VOL 9 HC

SPARKS OF CHAOS #2 (OF 3)

SPECTREMAN HEROES #4 (OF 5)

STANLEY THE SNOWMAN TP

TORI AMOS: LITTLE EARTHQUAKES HC

Story: Neil Gaiman, Bilquis Evely, Margaret Atwood, David Mack, Leah Moore, Colleen Doran, Derek McCulloch, Lar DeSouza, Annie Zaleski, Marc Andreyko, Cat Mihos, Neil Kleid, Alison Sampson | Cover: David Mack | Mature | $3.99

Celebrating 30 years of Tori Amos's breakout album: Little Earthquakes. The landmark release that established her iconic thematic voice, as well as her live intensity behind the keys with unflinching lyrics and songs that would inspire generations of artists and musicians. This graphic novel demonstrates the lasting influence of this defining work with 24 stories inspired by the 12 songs on the album, as well as the 12 "B-sides" that accompanied the album and its associated singles.

• Lots of music-related GNs this week.

TRAGEDIE OF MACBETH #2 (OF 2)

UNFAMILIAR GN

WALT DISNEY'S DONALD DUCK VOL 27 DUCK LUCK HC

• Hot dog!

WALT DISNEY'S UNCLE SCROOGE DIAMOND JUBILEE COLLECTION HC

WICKED TRAPPER GN

WISTORIA WAND & SWORD GN VOL 01

WITCHES OF ADAMAS GN VOL 03

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #12

ZENESCOPE COLL COVER CHECKLIST 2021 ED

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• In a perfect world, the Wildstorm characters would operate in their own universe, where they were free to do more R-rated things than allowed in the DC Universe, and the Fawcett characters were in their own universe, free to do G-rated things — and neither were in the DC Universe, where they have to be as PG-13 as everyone else, and are more or less redundant.

Whillikers, Skipper, it's almost as though DC ought to briing their infinite Earths back!

• "The only thing that distinguished Catman from all the other Batman clones in the '40s, at least to me, was that he had a female sidekick who was, presumably, of age."

From Super Weird Heroes by Craig Yoe: "Katie Conn was an 11-year-old acrobat whose parents had tragically died in a cirus train wreck. Along with her acrobatic prowess, Katie's superpower seems to be thje ability to change age before our eyes... Kitten inexplicably looks anywhere from a small six-year-old weirdly in a training bra, to a bona fide teenager, to a tall mature woman. To summarize, a grown man dressed up like a cat gives a kid a machine gun and takes her to battle armed thugs." Kitten later went on to team-up with the Deacon's boy sidekick, Mickey, as the Little Leaders. (I bought a replica edition of the original Catman #1 last summer.)

"It is beyond the pale of the possible that I don't already have whatever's in this book already, in multiple formats."

COLLECTING: Incredible Hulk (1962) 1; Avengers (1963) 1, 15-16; X-Men (1963) 4-5; Sgt. Fury (1963) 8; Fantastic Four Annual (1963) 2-3; Patsy Walker (1945) 119; Daredevil (1964) 7, 47; Captain America (1968) 109; Thor (1966) 179-181; Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 96-98; Marvel Premiere (1972) 3; Savage She-Hulk (1980) 1; Silver Surfer (1988) 1-2; material from Captain America Comics (1941) 3, 16; Mystic Comics (1940) 6; Suspense (1949) 29; Black Knight (1955) 1; Millie the Model (1945) 100; Life With Millie (1960) 10; Amazing Adult Fantasy (1961) 9, 11; Amazing Fantasy (1962) 15; Tales to Astonish (1959) 35; Fantastic Four (1961) 11; Tales of Suspense (1959) 39; Rawhide Kid (1955) 33; Strange Tales (1951) 135; Thor (1966) 146-152; Silver Surfer (1968) 3, 5; Our Love Story (1969) 5; Amazing Spider-Man (1963) 365; Spectacular Spider-Man Super Special (1995) 1; Amazing Spider-Man (1999) 634-645; Marvel 75th Anniversary Celebration (2014) 1; Amazing Spider-Man newspaper strip

"I bought the first issue of this and then forgot I was buying it."

A ringing endorsement!

"PEANUTS EVERY SUNDAY VOL 10 1996-2000 HC"

This is the final volume in the collection and deserves a shout-out.

"Bragging rights to anyone who takes a stab at figuring out where all these homages came from!"

Please. Secret Wars #10, Watchmen #3, any Marvel comic from November 1986, Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe (Deluxe Edition), Who's Who: the Definitive Directory of the DC Universe. (You just didn't want to do it yourself.) 

• Even though there is a fair amount of content, my scrolling reminds me that this is a "fifth week."

• Whillikers, Skipper, it's almost as though DC ought to bring their infinite Earths back!

I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was a wrong-headed mistake in 1985, and I still do.

A ringing endorsement!

Ain't it the truth!

This is the final volume in the collection and deserves a shout-out.

Glad you did.

(You just didn't want to do it yourself.) 

It's a fair cop.

Even though there is a fair amount of content, my scrolling reminds me that this is a "fifth week."

It used to be that fifth weeks had little content, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more. And it used to be that the amount of content got sparser in the winter months, but not any more. I don't have any pearls of wisdom, I'm just noting it is so.

• Bob Phantom was a super-powered Golden Ager. It's fairly likely he was intended as a superhero named the Phantom and renamed because of the King Features character. Oddly, the Bob Phantom name had previously used for a one-off character from Chesler/Dynamic's Star Comics #1. (My hat-tip to the GCD: I didn't know this.) That one is a stage magician who saves a woman from criminals. The reuse of the name makes me wonder if there's a play on words I'm not getting.

• "Bob Phantom" sounds like a goofy name to me.  Certainly not one that would strike terror into an evildoer's heart.

Luke Blanchard said:

Bob Phantom was a super-powered Golden Ager. It's fairly likely he was intended as a superhero named the Phantom and renamed because of the King Features character. Oddly, the Bob Phantom name had previously used for a one-off character from Chesler/Dynamic's Star Comics #1. (My hat-tip to the GCD: I didn't know this.) That one is a stage magician who saves a woman from criminals. The reuse of the name makes me wonder if there's a play on words I'm not getting.

• Maybe it means "I will eat your heart" in Klingon.

This reply was deleted.