Comics Guide: Oct. 10-16, 2022

<p style="clear: both;">

BOOM! STUDIOS

THE APPROACH #1 (OF 5)

Story: Jeremy Haun, Jason A. Hurley | Art: Jesus Hervas | Cover: Jeremy Haun | Mature | $3.99

In this turbulent new horror mini-series from writers Jeremy Haun (The Red Mother) & Jason A. Hurley (The Beauty) and artist Jes s Hervás (The Empty Man), a storm is coming that's bringing more than bad weather.

When airport employees Mac and Abigail find themselves snowed in after a blizzard, they witness a terrible plane crash.

After pulling a survivor from the wreckage, they realize a terrifying truth: this plane has been missing for 27 years!

The nightmare has only just begun though, as the people trapped in the airport soon find themselves confronted by what this plane actually brought back.

For those with a fear of flying ... it's not the sky that deserves dread, but what lies beyond it.

• Isn't the "missing plane returns after decades" the concept behind a couple of TV shows that I didn't watch?
  • Here's a preview.

JUST BEYOND OGN GIFT SET VOL 1-4 TP

ONCE & FUTURE #30

SOMETHING IS KILLING CHILDREN VOL 5 TP

SOMETHING IS KILLING THE CHILDREN VOL 5: AZURE BANDANA TP

DARK HORSE COMICS

FESTIVAL HC

Story: Christopher Golden, Tim Lebbon | Art: Peter Bergting | $19.99

New York Times bestselling horror authors Christopher Golden (Ararat, Road of Bones, Hellboy: The Bones of Giants) and Tim Lebbon (Eden, The Last Storm) weave a new tale of terror in the horror novella Festival, from Dark Horse Books. This hardcover edition will include a cover and illustrations by Peter Bergting.

The Valhalla music festival commemorates a long-ago Viking slaughter, but when strange things start to happen it seems the massacre may be far from over. When festival-goers begin to disappear, and musicians find themselves playing mysterious and ancient songs as if possessed, the fans have to figure out what’s going on before the festival site’s haunting past comes back for blood.

Praise for Roads of Bones by Christopher Golden:

“Golden is writing at the top of his game.” — Publisher’s Weekly

“[A] horror-thriller hybrid that will chill even the most jaded readers. … Give to fans of emotional, though-provoking, nature inspired horror like The Only Good Indians (2020) by Stephen Graham Jones or Wonderland (2020) by Zoje Stage.” — Booklist (starred review)

“The writing is lean, muscular. Readers will feel the cold (and the terror) in their bones. … An essential read for horror and supernatural thriller fans.” — Library Journal (starred review)

Praise for Eden by Tim Lebbon:

“This is a true page-turner that seamlessly blends elements from various genres, from horror and science fiction to classic adventure tales.” — BookPage

“Lebbon offers weirdly beautiful and horrific images that call to mind those delivered in the theatrical version of Annihilation, and many times I was left chilled by his depictions of a remorseless Nature determined to thrive and grow. A truly gripping and horrifying read.” — Cemetery Dance

“Lebbon excels at building a world that is both wondrous and deeply unsettling …” — Publishers Weekly

• Dark Horse sent me two press releases, so they must be proud of this.
  • It's got Vikings, always a plus for me.
  • Here's a preview.

MASKERADE #2 (OF 4)

MINECRAFT BOX SET

MINECRAFT: WITHER WITHOUT YOU BOX SET

OVERWATCH: NEW BLOOD #4 (OF 5)

STRANGER THINGS OMNIBUS VOL 1 TP

DC COMICS

AMERICAN VAMPIRE OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC

BATGIRLS #11

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad | Art: Neil Googe | Cover: Jorge Corona | $3.99

The Batgirls get help from none other than Gotham Academy's very own Maps Mizoguchi and her brother Kyle to help decipher a clue they found that could help reveal who the killer behind all the Hill murders is, which leads them straight into ... the city zoo.

• Heads up, Batgirls fans!

BATMAN & SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERIES #1

Story: Sholly Fisch | Art/Cover: Dario Brizuela | $2.99

THE TEAM-UP SERIES YOU DEMANDED IS BACK! A strange mystery pulls Batman, Robin, the Batmen of All Nations, Scooby, and the gang into a jet-setting race to some of the most haunted places on Earth. Even scarier, the trail leads straight to Ra's al Ghul and his League of Assassins!

• The most natural team-up series there has ever been. But what does Ace think about being benched?

BATMAN INCORPORATED #1

Story: Ed Brisson | Art: John Timms | $3.99

From the pages of Batman comes an all-new, all-exciting adventure for Ghost-Maker and his Batman Incorporated team! The team's trust issues and detective skills are immediately put to the test when someone from Ghost-Maker and Batman's recent past is brutally murdered... Is this an isolated event, sending a message to the two? Or is this the start of something darker and more sinister? (Hint--it's sinister and dark!) The all-star creative team of Ed Brisson and John Timms chart a new future for Batman Incorporated in this exciting new ongoing series, loaded with adventure, excitement, and amazing new members and villains!

• I was surprised at how quickly this idea was sidelined after Grant Morrison's run on Batman. (Needless to say, the Golden Age story Morrison lifted from was just silly and stereotyped. He upped the game considerably.) I always wanted these "Batmen from other countries" explored, and lo, here they are.

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #20

BATMAN VS. ROBIN #2 (OF 5)

BLACK ADAM #1 SPECIAL EDITION

Story: Christopher Priest | Art: Rafa Sandoval | Cover: Ben Oliver

There is no forgiveness for Black Adam. This is the reality Teth-Adam, immortal man of indomitable will, must face when he discovers he has been infected with an incurable plague destroying his immortality. Haunted by the specter of centuries of dark deeds, Black Adam transfers his powers to a worthy successor who will redeem Adam’s legacy and defend their ancestral homeland of Kahndaq, only to subsequently become mystically handcuffed to him when Adam’s plague is arrested, giving birth to perhaps the most volatile and dysfunctional super-team in DC history! Powered by stunning art by Rafa Sandoval (Justice League) and breathtaking painted covers by Irvin Rodriguez (Detective Comics), writer Christopher Priest (Deathstroke, Justice League) brings his trademark wit and skill for character deconstruction to an entirely fresh examination of the man you love to hate! Get ready to ride the lightning!

• Halloween giveaway.
  • You know, there's a really cool Doctor Fate statue that just came out, that normally I'd want to buy. But the base reads "Black Adam"! That's the downside of a famous movie star making an obscure comics character famous.

DARK CRISIS: WORLDS WITHOUT A JUSTICE LEAGUE — GREEN ARROW #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Stephanie Phillips | Art/Cover: Clayton Henry | $4.99

When Pariah and his forces of the Great Darkness laid waste to the most powerful superheroes of all time, all hope was lost ... until now. To power his weapons of war, Pariah has captured each member of the Justice League and trapped them on worlds suited to their every dream and desire ... while the planets themselves slowly eat away at their respective inhabitants. When the Justice League went toe-to-toe with Pariah's Dark Army, Green Arrow was fatally wounded by Doomsday ... so how did he wake up on a world tailored to his every desire? And what dark bargain has Black Canary made to will these worlds into existence? Where there's life there's hope, and with that hope comes a deeper unraveling of the tapestry of the DCU's biggest event of 2022!

• The New 52 Green Arrow looks like the pre-New 52 Green Arrow now. Have I missed something?

DC HORROR PRESENTS: SOUL PLUMBER HC

DC’S TERROR THROUGH TIME #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Paul Levitz, Karla Pacheco, Jeremy Haun, Tim Seeley, Zac Thompson, others | Art: Peter Nguyen, Juan Doe, Kelley Jones, Andy MacDonald, others | Cover: Steve Beach | $9.99

October is here, and that means it's time for fables of fear, time for stories of suspense, and time for tales of ... time? Join us for a terrifying tour across the ages from some of comics' top talent! Witness zombies menace the JSA in the 1940s. Experience the haunting of the Gotham City Sirens in the 1990s. Watch as Swamp Thing goes up against an irradiated monstrosity in the far future. These are just a taste of the time-hopping terrors we have in store for you in our fright-filled Halloween anthology!

• Justice Society against zombies? OK, that sold me. If there's still one at the LCS next time I go in, I'll buy it. (Probably not, though. My shop sizes their orders to sell out — basically pre-orders plus two.)

FLASH: THE FASTEST MAN ALIVE #2 (OF 3)

FUTURE STATE GOTHAM #18

JURASSIC LEAGUE #6 (OF 6)

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #16

TEEN TITANS ACADEMY VOL 2: EXIT WOUNDS HC

WONDER WOMAN #792

WONDER WOMAN: EVOLUTION HC

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

007 #3

NINJETTES #2

SCARLET SISTERS #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Alex Segura  Art: Emiliana Pinna | Covers: Joseph Michael Linsner, Leirix | $4.99

Three heroes rise to save their city — but is their combined power enough?

When a mysterious — and deadly — cult-like organization inches closer to taking control of New York City's criminal and political systems, Masquerade, Woman in Red, and Lady Satan team up as THE SCARLET SISTERS! Can SS solve the murder of one of their own allies, while pushing back against their unseen, corrupt foes? Find out in this standalone one-shot from bestselling crime writer Alex Segura (Secret Identity) and artist Emiliana Pinna (Red Sonja), which creates an important jumping on point for fans old and new — and sets the stage for future Scarlet Sister adventures!

• There sure were a lot of gals in red in the Golden Age. Too bad this book couldn't include Miss America from Timely Comics.

STAN LEE’S ALLIANCES: ORPHANS HC

Story: Stan Lee, Luke Lieberman, Ryan Silbert | Art: Bill Sienkiewicz | $24.99

From the mind of legendary comics creator Stan Lee, the architect of the Marvel Universe, comes Alliances: Orphans, a brand-new original graphic novel set in the New York Times best-selling Alliances universe, co-written by Lee with Luke Lieberman (Red Sonja) and Ryan Silbert (The Coldest Case). This cosmic adventure features fully painted artwork by Bill Sienkiewicz, who handles the prologue and cover, and Szymon Kudranski.

Orphans blasts readers into the heart of our galaxy alongside William Ackerson, a man lost in space on a quest to find the source of his uncanny abilities. As gravity waves ripple across reality, warping time and space, he meets the  Orphans. They are each the last of their kind, all their kin having been wiped out by the alien Hive: Little Boy, their giant childlike leader; Haze, a caustic creature of pure vapor; Rascal, a self-loathing zealot with dark secrets; and Critter, a being that's equal parts monster and puppy.

This ragtag group find themselves in over their heads when their space-heist is hijacked. They have a stowaway with her own agenda: Samsi, the fearsome survivor of a civilization that once ruled the galaxy.

Orphans is a fast-paced, intergalactic treasure hunt that explodes the Alliances universe into the cosmos. It introduces an extraordinary band of lone survivors, that must become a family to save the very fabric of reality.

• Wait, isn't Stan Lee dead?
  • Here's a trailer.

VAMPIRELLA MINDWARP #2

IDW PUBLISHING

DARK SPACES: WILDFIRE #4

GI JOE RAH: SATURDAY MORNING ADVENTURES TP

GODZILLA: MONSTERS & PROTECTORS #1 HALLOWEEN 2022

• Halloween giveaway.

GODZILLA: MONSTERS & PROTECTORS — ALL HAIL THE KING #1

Story: Erik Burnham | Art/Cover: Dan Schoening | $3.99

It's been a year and, to Cedric's dismay, there have been no more Godzilla sightings. Sure, that means no destruction, but it was also his vlog's most popular series of videos. He needs new content! His views are dropping, and he's running out of ideas. He's being called out for lying by cyberbullies Dragon, who is trying to see if Cedric really has the Godzilla chops, and Karen Higa, who has her own agenda. There's more going on beneath the surface, but will Cedric find out what before something deadlier than Godzilla rears its head?

• Aimed at kids/YA readers.

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: IMPOSTER SYNDROME TP

STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS #2

TMNT #133

IMAGE COMICS

CLOSET VOL 1 TP

DO A POWERBOMB #5

FARMHAND VOL 4 TP

FOLLOW ME DOWN: A RECKLESS BOOK HC

Story: Ed Brubaker | Art: Sean Phillips | Mature | $24.99

Crime noir masters Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips (Pulp, Criminal, The Fade Out and Kill or Be Killed) are back with yet another original graphic novel starring troublemaker-for-hire Ethan Reckless in the forthcoming Follow Me Down. This new standalone thriller is the fifth book in the Reckless series in less than two years, an unprecedented achievement in the American comics field.

"The Reckless books have not just been a runaway hit, they've also been a joy for me and Sean to work on — our great escape has been trying to bring some escapism and pulp thrills to our readers in these strange times. This time out, after letting Anna take the lead in the previous book, Ethan is back in charge, and ... well, the book is called Follow Me Down so you can guess that things aren't exactly coming up roses for him," said Brubaker. "But there are some big surprises in store here, that will punch our longtime readers in the guts a bit, I hope."

In the wake of the 1989 earthquake, Ethan takes a trip to San Francisco to search for a missing woman. But almost immediately, he finds himself going down a path of darkness and murder in a case unlike anything he’s faced before.

Follow Me Down is the most intense of the Reckless books so far and a must-have for all Brubaker and Phillips fans!

Select praise for the Reckless series:

"I’m too old to read a graphic novel in one sitting, but this one I did. I’d be surprised if you didn’t too."  — Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

“Exploding cars, goons with guns, menacing figures who could be heroes or villains. These images are no longer the sole province of vintage paperbacks from the heyday of pulp fiction. They now adorn a slick new series of graphic novels by the legendary team of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips.” — The Los Angeles Times

"Phillips imbues the sun-drenched splendor of Southern California with a nostalgic mournfulness perfectly keyed to Brubaker's script." — Library Journal (starred review)

• Will be added to my Reckless collection directly.

HACK/SLASH DELUXE EDITION: CROSSOVERS HC

• Do I want this? I probably want this. Somebody tell me I want this so I have an excuse to buy it.

HACK/SLASH HOT SHORTS ONE-SHOT

Story: Tim Seely | Art: Jim Terry, Daniel Leister | Cover: Matt Herms | Art/Cover: Tim Seeley | $3.99

Slasher hunters Cassie Hack and Vlad are back with a one-shot collecting the all-new short stories from the HACK/SLASH DELUXE EDITION HARDCOVERS. Our heroes battle bloodstains in "Slice of Life," written and drawn by SEELEY, while a new kind of monster slayer stalks the backroads of America in "Highwayman to Heaven" and Cassie meets up with the baddest bad girl in the multiverse in "I Will Destroy You All." Also contains all-new pin-ups! The perfect celebration of the slasher season!

• I bet the series would have sold better if it was titled Last Girl. I would have understood the concept faster, at any rate.
  • Here's a preview.

HALLOWEEN PARTY ONE-SHOT

Story: Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan, Scott Koblish | Art: Scott Koblish, Hi-Fi Colour Design | Cover: Hi-Fi Colors | $4.99

The Deadpool creative team of Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan, and Scott Koblish reunite for an all-new one-shot story starring the beloved Scotch McTiernan in Halloween Party. This hilarious new one-shot will land on shelves from Image Comics this October.

"I stopped trick-or-treating after I witnessed Michael Myers as he terrified horny teenagers in an Illinois suburb at the end of the seventies. My pals Gerry, Scott, and I figured after our 4/20 book it was on us to be like our hero John Carpenter and ruin trick-or-treating and Halloween once again. Suck it, my favorite holiday," said Posehn.

It's a scary time in America — and we're not talking about the razors in the candy anymore. When you might get murdered in a mass shooting, the clowns, monsters, and other creatures that go bump in the night have a harder time doing their job. It's a hilarious bummer at this year's monster mash. Scotch McTiernan and Weed Thing return and readers are introduced to some new favorites.

"All the dumb fun we had on 4-20 is back but this time in Halloween masks. We're laughing our asses off, and can't wait to invite you over to this year's Halloween Party," said Duggan. "Wear kevlar — it's dangerous out there."

Koblish added: "It’s time to grab another swig of Scotch! This time Scotch McTiernan returns for the Halloween season and we are pulling out all the stops on drawing every kind of monster we can conceive of — check under your bed, in your dreams, in your closet, in the woods, under the bridge, the back seat of your car and in the mirror behind you, because I might’ve drawn those guys too! This is our hilarious love-letter to everything terrifying, so pick up a copy, before it chases you down!"

• NOT a Halloween giveaway. Five bucks, bucko!
  • Here's a preview.

HITOMI #1 (of 5)

Mature | Covers: Valentina Napolitano, Peach Momoko, Amancay Nahuelpan

Fan-favorite writer HS Tak (Red Shift, Boy-1) teams up with artist Isabella Mazzanti for the forthcoming historical fiction story, Hitomi.

In Hitomi, a drifter with no prospects in Feudal-era Japan begins training in secret under Yasuke, a now-disgraced former samurai, as she struggles to find her place in a society entrenched in discrimination and violence.

“I imagined a long day's journey by foot on the Edo Road,” said Tak. “Posting up at a roadside Sakaya, legs aching. But the night still young, the land wild and filled with bad guys; my teacher looking at me, chewing his salted fish. Adjusting the empty scabbard at his hip and cursing his luck. What happens next? This is the world we set out to create in Hitomi; a story about two outsiders who forge an unusual bond in a turbulent and beautiful world.”

Combining the historical sweep and elegance of Kurosawa with the visceral action of Tarantino, this saga follows the trials and tribulations of a young female warrior who travels the countryside unendingly as she works to gain the rank of Samurai — a title no man, monster, or myth can give to her, but one that she will have to take for herself.

“Fighting to be your true self — that is Hitomi for me,” added Mazzanti. “Sometimes your hands are empty, the road in front of you dangerous, and you have no friends or family at your side. But there is a voice in your heart that says ‘go on, overcome your fears and dance with them, as the most beautiful flower that grows in dry, harsh soil, delicate yet resilient and strong.’”

• Feudal-era Japan is cool, but I wouldn't want to live then. Because dentistry.
  • Here's a preview.

LEAST WE CAN DO #2

LOVE EVERLASTING #3

NEW MASTERS TP

Story: Shobo Coker | Art/Cover: Shof Coker | $19.99

Nigerian brothers and co-creators Shobo Coker (Buckhead) and Shof Coker (“Moremi” feature in Kizazi Moto: Generation Fire) portray a striking vision of West Africa under the thumb of alien colonizers in the forthcoming New Masters. The trade paperback edition will collect issues #1-6 of the immersive Afrofuturist series and land in stores from Image Comics this October.

The Coker brothers are a debut creative team and were the recipients of the 2019 Creators for Creators grant.

New Masters follows a motley crew of outcasts who find themselves caught up in a power struggle for control of an ancient artifact with immense power. This is the perfect sci-fi story for fans of N.K. Jemisin's Broken Earth trilogy and Ta-Nehisi Coates' Black Panther.

Select praise for New Masters:

“I had no idea, when we all picked this book for Creators for Creators, that, as good as it looked then, it would turn out this BEAUTIFUL. Amazing work!” — Charlie Adlard, The Walking Dead

“Shobo and Shof give us an original, beautifully crafted sci-fi with New Masters. It’s an incredible debut from a distinctly African perspective. Shof’s rhythmic storytelling, palettes, and world building visuals perfectly seam with Shobo’s intriguing cast of heroes, cut throats, and politicians like only brothers can. Immerse yourself in this new world, you won’t regret it!” — Nick Dragotta, East of West

"It’s immediately obvious the two [Shobo and Shof Coker] are passionate about the world they are building. They are incorporating different aspects of their culture: shared mythology, religion, history... The variety of African influences is evident and aesthetically the book is a fantastic dictionary of Afrofuturist elements." — Black Nerd Problems

"Blends exciting adventure, compelling drama, and rich Nigerian mythology to present a vibrant new take on Afrofuturism." — Graphic Policy

• This would be ... Afrofuturist apocalypse fiction?

PRODIGY: ICARUS SOCIETY #4

RADIANT BLACK VOL 3: A MASSIVE-VERSE BOOK TP

SEA SERPENT'S HEIR BOOK 1: PIRATE'S DAUGHTER GN

Story: Mairghread Scott | Art/Cover: Pablo Tunica | $14.99

Today Skybound revealed a brand-new look at Sea Serpent’s Heir Book One: Pirate’s Daughter, the extraordinary tale of growing up and changing your fate from acclaimed creators Mairghread Scott (Star Wars: Resistance, Guardians of the Galaxy) and Pablo Tunica (TMNT Universe).

Sea Serpent’s Heir Book One marks the release of the first original graphic novel in this fantasy Young Adult trilogy from Skybound Comet, a new original graphic novel imprint aimed at Young Adult (Ages 12+) and Middle Grade (Ages 8-12) audiences, but sure to captivate readers of all ages. 

What if you were destined to destroy the world? For Aella, life on Kinamen Isle is one of boredom. Spending her days fishing and minding her aunts, she dreams of life beyond the horizon. 

Everything changes, however, when she awakens an ancient evil within herself as it’s revealed that she’s the reincarnation of Xir, the serpent that almost destroyed the world. Worse yet, a fanatical religious organization has arrived on Kinamen Isle in search of Xir.

As Aella is forced to fight for her life, she’ll discover that her entire world is not what it seems. Her aunts know more than they let on, and what exactly does the infamous Pirate Queen want with Aella?    

“A beautifully crafted world that takes every opportunity to twist your expectations in new directions. Not afraid of showcasing the darker sides of its characters while dazzling the reader with visuals of the most amazing creatures and world-building.” — Jorge Corona (The Me You Love in the Dark, Middlewest, Batgirls)

“What a gorgeous, dark fantasy tale that Mairghread Scott and Pablo Tunica have created! I want to follow every alley and turn over every stone in this saltwater and magic soaked world.” — Irma Kniivila (Everyday Hero Machine Boy)

“Enchanting and dreamy. This book feels like a mash up between Hayao Miyazaki and Guillermo del Toro with its heart, mystery, and adventure.” — Tillie Walden (Spinning, On a Sunbeam, Clementine)

“A masterful blend of political high fantasy and gritty, other-worldly pirate lore that I highly recommend to anyone looking for a new adventure.” — Michelle Fus (Ava’s Demon)

•  Image sent me a metric ton of preview images, which I gratefully empty my hard drive of here.
  • Also here’s a trailer.

SEVEN SONS #5

SLUMBER VOL 1 TP

SPAWN #334

STARHENGE: DRAGON & BOAR #4

MARVEL COMICS

ALL-OUT AVENGERS #2

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #1 HALLOWEEN TRICK OR READ 2022

• Halloween giveaway.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #11

A.X.E.: DEATH TO MUTANTS #3

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Guiu Vilanova | Cover: Esad Ribic | Teen+ | $3.99

It looks like the end of the world. The world is taking it personally. The Machine That Is Earth is having a very bad day.

• It's another big week for "Judgment Day."
  • Here's a preview.

A.X.E: ETERNALS #1

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Pasqual Ferry | Covers: Nic Klein, Salvador Larroca | Teen+ | $3.99

A.X.E.: ETERNALS #1 will tackle Ajak’s past decisions regarding the Celestials and how she plans to lead the Eternals through this latest challenge. Ajak has come a long way. She's met her maker. Hell, she's made her maker. Now can she — or anyone — survive her maker.

A.X.E.: IRON FIST #1

Story: Alyssa Wong | Art: Yg, Michael | Cover: Philip Tan | Teen | $4.99

IRON FIST FACES HIS GREATEST CHALLENGE — AN A.X.E. TIE-IN! After the clash between Lin Lie and his brother Lin Feng, Lin Lie - the current Iron Fist, protector of the mystical city of K'un-Lun - must reclaim access to K'un-Lun! But not before he faces a trial unlike any other: SHOU-LAO THE UNDYING?! Wait, what does LOKI have to do with all of this? Find out when IRON FIST and LOKI face JUDGMENT!

BLACK PANTHER #10

CAPTAIN MARVEL #42

Story: Kelly Thompson | Art:  Andrea Di Vito | Cover: Juan Frigeri | Teen | $3.99

JUDGMENT DAY MUST COME FOR US ALL — AN A.X.E. TIE-IN! Though Carol has had more than enough of being judged lately, there's no escaping THIS Judgment Day as it determines whether Earth lives or dies. But as Carol and Lauri-Ell give their heroic best to prove their worth an ... unexpected new player emerges.

DAREDEVIL #4

EXCALIBUR BY TINI HOWARD VOL 2 HC

FANTASTIC FOUR #48

Story: David Pepose | Art: Juann Cabal | Cover: Cafu  | Teen | $3.99

AN A.X.E. TIE-IN! Trapped alone inside the Baxter Building with no backup in sight, the Invisible Woman battles her way up 35 flights of death traps to stop the mad science of OUBLIETTE MIDAS! But with the clock running out on the Celestial's judgment, can Sue save her husband, Reed, from becoming the latest cog in the Exterminatrix's interdimensional war machine? Can the Thing and the Human Torch free themselves from Oubliette's twisted schemes, or will the hijacked Baxter Building prove to be the FF's ultimate undoing? It's Judgment Times Four, as the Fantastic Four don't plan to go down without a fight!

GAMBIT #4

GENIS-VELL CAPTAIN MARVEL #4

GHOST RIDER #7

IMMORTAL X-MEN #6

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Lucas Werneck Cover: Mark Brooks | (Teen+, $3.99)

A SERIOUS BAMF! - A.X.E. TIE-IN! Even if you're the heart of the X-Men, there're days you want to tear out people's heart. Judgment day is one of them. What extreme steps will Nightcrawler take in the name of the Spark?

LEGION OF X #6

Story: Si Spurrier | Art: Rafael Pimentel | Cover: Dike Ruan | (Teen+, $3.99)

DIVINE JUDGMENT OF THE ATTACK ON MARS! - AN A.X.E. TIE-IN! Judgment Day has arrived ... and our very own Legion is on the chopping block! The Eternal Uranos launches a savage attack on Arakko, but it's not only the planet Mars that's at stake. Is David Haller a hero, will he succumb to his madness just as everyone — perhaps even the Celestials themselves — predicts?

MARVEL-VERSE: SHURI GN

MOON GIRL DEVIL DINO #1 HALLOWEEN TRICK OR READ 2022

• Halloween giveaway.

MOON GIRL: ENDANGERED SPECIES TP

MS. MARVEL: GENERATIONS TP

NAMOR THE SUB-MARINER: CONQUERED SHORES #1 (OF 5)

Story: Christopher Cantwell | Art/Cover: Pasqual Ferry | Teen+ | $4.99

A century into the future, not much land remains on Earth. A combination of a worsening climate and a devastating war with the Kree has left the surface of the planet mostly inhospitable, with an ever-dwindling population of air-breathers and a profound lack of super heroes to protect them. Enter NAMOR, who these many years on is no longer King of Atlantis ... but ruler of the entire world.

• Wait, isn't Namor supposed to be, like, Mayan or something now?
  • Here's a preview.

PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL: BROTHER #1

Story: Torunn Gronbekk | Art: Rafael Pimentel | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu | Parental Advisory | $4.99

OLD FRIENDS DIE HARD! Lady Bullseye failed. Lord Deathstrike failed. Every assassin sent to kill Frank fails. The leaders of the underworld — crime bosses, heads of terrorist organizations and even a corrupt government or two come together to solve the growing problem of Frank Castle. Sharing intel, resources and money, a collective underworld puts out a contract to kill Frank — eligible for anyone: assassins, mercenaries or small-town crooks. The news ripples through the shadows of the world: $500 million to the person who takes down the Punisher. But there's one face from his past ... who's in this hunt for more than money.

• I will never get used to that oni skull, or whatever it is.
  • Here's a preview.

STAR WARS #28

STAR WARS DOCTOR APHRA #1 HALLOWEEN TRICK OR READ 2022

• Halloween giveaway.

STAR WARS: THE  HIGH REPUBLIC #1

Story: Cavan Scott | Art/Cover: Cario Anindito

At Star Wars Celebration Anaheim, fans got an exciting look at what’s to come in Phase II of Star Wars: The High Republic. The highly-acclaimed publishing initiative will begin an all-new era of interconnected stories told across novels, children’s books, and of course, comics! Marvel Comics’ Star Wars: The High Republic sagas will return this fall with a new ongoing STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC comic series and a new limited series titled STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC — THE BLADE.

Launching in October, STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #1 will see writer Cavan Scott and artist Ario Anindito reunite after their mega successful run on volume 1. Set 150 years before Phase 1, Phase II of Star Wars: The High Republic will center around Jedha, a planet rich in its connection to the Force and the focus of every major faith in the galaxy. The new flagship STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC comic series will introduce Jedi Vildar Mac, who arrives as Jedha’s fragile peace begins to crumble and a nameless terror arrives…

Author of STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC: LIGHT OF THE JEDI and one of the chief architects behind the STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC storytelling initiative, writer Charles Soule will team up with artist Marco Castiello on STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC — THE BLADE #1. The four-issue limited series will explore the mysterious backstory of Porter Engle, the Jedi-turned-cook also known as the Blade of Bardotta.

STAR WARS: VISIONS #1

STRANGE ACADEMY #1 HALLOWEEN TRICK OR READ 2022

• Halloween giveaway.

VENOM #11

Story: Ram V. | Art/Cover: Bryan Hitch

Writers Al Ewing and Ram V and artist Bryan Hitch’s acclaimed run on VENOM continues to reshape the symbiote mythos in each explosive issue! And luckily for VENOM fans, the trio of superstar creators have no plans to slow down as the ongoing series enters its’ third terrifying arc this August in VENOM #11. Kicking off a three-part story called “VENOMWORLD,” readers will see Eddie and Dylan Brock’s journey take a sharp turn as they deal with the shocking revelations of VENOM #10. Dylan is still at the mercy of Bedlam while Eddie battles his way across the cosmos, discovering more about the symbiotes than ever before. And the hits keep coming as the SLEEPER symbiote joins the fray with a deadly new look.

“Working on Venom has been a surprise, honestly. I wasn’t really familiar with the symbiote world before I drew the first pages of issue 1 but it’s been a hugely entertaining world to explore,” Hitch explained. “Al and Ram’s story (and it is a massive long-form epic) has given me so many different threads to play with from personal drama and urban action to all of space and time. I had to learn to draw cats for this book, not just symbiotes and Sleeper has become a favorite one to play with. We haven’t seen him too much but that’s about to change as he’s getting serious and upping his game. He’s bringing a new element and a new player into the symbiote world with Sleeper Agent. Chemical and biological warfare. This cover reveal is really only the first phase of Sleeper Agent’s look. They are symbiotes, after all.”

• Marvel sends me press releases for most issues of Venom and Carnage. I don't know if that's justified, since I don't read anything Venom-related. But I post them for those that do.
  • Here's a preview.

VENOM EPIC COLLECTION: CARNAGE UNLEASHED TP

WAKANDA #1 (of 5)

Story: Stephanie Williams & Evan Narcisse | Art: Paco Medina & Natacha Bustos | Covers: Mateus Manhanini, Nic Klein, Stanley “Artgerm” Lau | $4.99

This October, acclaimed writers and artists throughout the comic book industry will come together to highlight the rich tapestry of the Black Panther’s homeland like never before in WAKANDA, a brand-new limited series! Spinning out of recent events in John Ridley’s epic run on BLACK PANTHER, T’Challa is no longer welcome in the land he once ruled. Who is this proud nation without its king? This exciting new miniseries answers that question and more as each issue spotlights a different fan-favorite Wakandan character as they rise up to protect their great nation in exciting new stories by a wide range of creators.

In WAKANDA #1, writer Stephanie Williams and artist Paco Medina will start things off with an in-depth tale about T’Challa’s genius younger sister and former Black Panther, Shuri. Shuri proves that being without the Black Panther doesn’t mean Wakanda is without heroes to protect it - and that there is a reason she too once wielded the power.

“I’ve been such a huge fan of the Black Panther over the years, especially the evolution and expansion of the women of Wakanda. It’s truly an honor to kick off the new series with the Shuri story I wrote. I hope I can add to her and Wakanda’s already impressive lore.”

Each issue of WAKANDA will also contain a “History of the Black Panthers” backup story by writer Evan Narcisse and artist Natacha Bustos, providing for the first time anywhere a definitive overview of all the Wakandans who have held the mantle of the Black Panther!

"I've been a fan of the charm and scale of Natacha Bustos' work for a long time and am thrilled to collaborate with her on a new look at Wakanda's history,” Narcisse said. “The tale we're telling will give readers a deeper look at how the Black Panthers of the past led the Unconquered Realm to glory and left a wondrous legacy that Emperor T'Challa still embodies."

• I guess they're de-emphasizing T'Challa, since he's dead in the movies.
  • Here's a preview.

WOLVERINE #25

WOLVERINE EPIC COLLECTION: BACK TO BASICS TP NEW PTG

X-CELLENT VOL 1: NEW BLOOD NEW WORLD TP

X-FORCE #32

TKO STUDIOS

• Diamond released so many TKO Studios books this week that it gets its own section.
  • If some of these books look or sound familiar, it's because TKO has been releasing them in annual waves since 2018 — just not through Diamond. TKO's business model is to sell directly to comic shops and consumers. Why Diamond is suddenly releasing the entire TKO oeuvre, I do not know.

BANKS GN

Story: Roxane Gay | Art: Ming Doyle |  $19.99

A high-stakes heist thriller about the most daring and successful thieves in Chicago: three generations of women from the Banks family.

For 50 years the women of the Banks family have been the most successful thieves in Chicago by following one simple rule: never get greedy. But when the youngest Banks stumbles upon the heist of a lifetime, the potential windfall may be enough to bring three generations of thieves together for one incredible score and the chance to avenge a loved one taken too soon.

From NY Times bestselling writer Roxane Gay (Hunger; Black Panther) and artist Ming Doyle (The Kitchen).

• Sounds a lot like The Kitchen.

BLACK MASS RISING GN

Story: Theo Prasidis | Art: Jodie Muir

One year after Vlad Dracul's death, hope is returning to the lands of Transylvania. As the shadow of 100 years of darkness begins to fade, a young peasant girl dares to dream of a better future. But when a mysterious Healer drifts into town, a new evil begins to stir among the ruins of the lord of the undead's former castle ...

A titanic and darkly fantastical reimagining of and sequel to Bram Stoker's sanguine classic, Dracula.

• Man, if 100 years of Dracula has just ended, burn the castle to the ground, OK? It would de-traumautize three generations.

EVE OF EXTINCTION GN

Story: Salvatore Simeone, Steve Simeone | Art: Nik Virella, Isaac Goodhart | $19.99

The rain brought something. Something that changed the men into something inhuman. To rescue their stranded daughter, two mothers must survive the hurricane, and the horrors it unleashed. But can they work together long enough to save their daughter in a world where all men have become monsters?

• A lot of men already are monsters. Is this a metaphor?

FEARSOME DOCTOR FANG GN

Story: Tze Chun, Mike Weiss | Art: Dan McDaid | $19.99

NOTHING TO FEAR ... BUT FANG HIMSELF!

When an occult artifact is stolen by dashing criminal mastermind The Fearsome Dr. Fang, San Francisco cop Nayland Kelly and treasure hunter Alice Lecroix travel to China to recover the item and bring Fang to Justice.

Packed with globe-trotting action, THE FEARSOME DOCTOR FANG is written by Tze Chun (GOTHAM, ONCE UPON A TIME) and Mike Weiss (THE MENTALIST), drawn by Dan McDaid (JUDGE DREDD), colored by Daniela Miwa (SHAFT), lettered by Steve Wands (DESCENDER), and edited by Sebastian Girner (DEADLY CLASS).

• Sounds like an updated Fu Manchu. which is not necessarily a bad thing.

FORGOTTEN BLADE GN

Story: Tze Chun | Art: Toni Fejzula |  $19.99

In this action-packed fantasy epic, an enchantress recruits an amoral mercenary to save the souls of her two children who were murdered and cursed by inquisitors.

In the land of the Five Rivers, the magical waters that flow from the Citadel grant the people who know to use them incredible powers. Power that the Church of the Citadel guards jealously and with an iron fist.

Years after Ruza the Unwashed, the world's greatest warrior and wielder of the FORGOTTEN BLADE, destroyed the last chance for the people to overthrow the Church's cruel tyranny, he is recruited by a schoolteacher to save the souls of her two children cursed by inquisitors for no crime at all.

To do that, they must do what no one has ever done — infiltrate the Citadel, discover the source of the Five Rivers, and there vanquish the most powerful adversary of all: The malevolent God who created this world in the first place.

GOODNIGHT PARADISE GN

Story: Joshua Dysart | Art: Alberto Ponticelli | $19.99

A noir starring an unlikely protagonist who sets out to solve the murder of a young runaway while struggling with mental illness and homelessness.

VENICE BEACH. CALIFORNIA. SUN. SURF. SEX. MONEY. MURDER.

When down-and-out Eddie stumbles upon the body of a murdered teenage runaway, he vows to bring her killers to justice. His investigation brings him into the darkest truths of his beachside town, where he finds he may be the only one who cares enough to solve this murder.

Written by Joshua Dysart (UNKNOWN SOLDIER, B.P.R.D.), drawn by Alberto Ponticelli (UNKNOWN SOLDIER), colored by Giulia Brusco (SCALPED), lettered by Steve Wands (DESCENDER) and edited by Sebastian Girner (DEADLY CLASS).

GRAVENEYE GN

Story: Sloane Leong Art: Anna Bowles | $19.99

What if a haunted house was not the horror, but the people who dwell within it ...

Isla lives along in a large mansion deep in the woods. Her house has seen its share of blood horror, and the depths of the human soul. Isla has hired the young Marie to help her keep the big house tidy, but Marie brings demons of her own into Isla's domain. Cursed with sentience, it is destined to observe the terrors that lurk inside each and everyone of us.

Acclaimed author Sloane Leong (A MAP TO THE SUN, PRISM STALKER) and artist Anna Bowles in her debut graphic novel, deliver a dark and beautiful tale of hunger and obsession.

LONESOME DAYS SAVAGE NIGHTS GN

Story: Steve Niles, Salvatore Simeone | Art: Szymon Kudranski | $19.99

Stu Manning always wanted to be a cop. But a terrible incident on his first beat has left him dishonored, dismayed and barely clinging to sanity. Years later Stu prowls the streets again, not as a cop, but a scruffy private detective with one hell of a trick up his sleeve ... and a monster under his skin. But when the city he always wanted to protect claims the one person who helped him survive it this far, Stu is prepared to unleash the beast he's kept inside and embark on his own road to revenge...and he gets the feeling that two graves will not be nearly enough. A supernatural hardboiled crime thriller for the 21st century.

• It's not Werewolf by Night. It's Werewolf by Night, P.I.

POUND FOR POUND GN

Story: Natalie Chaidez | Art: Andy Belanger

Underground MMA fighter Dani Libra fears nothing ... except for her recurring blackouts and fractured memories that obscure a bloody past. But when her sister is kidnapped, Dani must shine a light on the darkness in her own mind. Only question is — can she keep her own demons at bay for long enough to save her sister?

Written by Natalie Chaidez (QUEEN OF THE SOUTH, HUNTERS, 12 MONKEYS), drawn by Andy Belanger (SWAMP THING), and colored by Daniela Miwa (THE FEARSOME DOCTOR FANG, THE OLD GUARD).

I'm delighted to see a graphic novel based on a field about which I have zero interest. I love living in the future I wished for when I was 12!

PULL GN

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Ricardo Lopez Ortiz | $19.99

An end-times caper for the Global Warming era, where humankind's consumption has attracted the attention of the primordial destroyer — THE UNDOER. The only hope lays in BRENTON DEMM, one of Earth's 13 super-science police, and his ex-wife GAYANO TITH. With days left until the Undoer swallows the Earth, Tith can stop the Undoer, as long as Demm can keep her alive. The catch? Ever since his gloryhounding caused a disaster that killed hundreds and put Earth on the Undoer's radar, he's been clinically incapable of giving a damn. Disaffected, corrupt, but still looking for a hint of hope in his last days, Demm finds it when Tith tells him the world doesn't have to end. He just has to get back to work.

REDFORK GN

Story: Alex Paknadel | Art: Nil Vendrell | $19.99

A horrifying and heartbreaking thriller set in a dying Appalachian coal town.

Returning to Redfork, West Virginia with a laundry list of sins to make up for, Ex-con Noah McGlade finds his coal mining hometown blighted by opioid abuse, economic decline, and a family that wants nothing more to do with him. Tragedy seems to follow on Noah's heels, as no sooner does he step foot home than his younger brother is trapped in a mining collapse. But when a mysterious wildcat miner named Gallowglass not only saves his brother but sets off to restore the town to its former glory, he puts the revitalized townspeople on a collision course with Amcore, the energy giant whose relationship with Redfork runs far deeper than commerce.

There's something terrifying lying in wait in the endless tunnels underneath the town, and it's up to Noah to face his past and protect the people he loves from forces both human and horrifyingly unnatural.

• Man, if you live in Appalachia ... just move somewhere else. Even fiction is giving you a hard time.

SARA GN

Story: Garth Ennis | Art: Steve Epting | $29.99

SARA is a gripping war story following a team of female Russian snipers as they beat back the Nazi invaders during a brutal winter campaign on the WWII Eastern Front.

NAZI OCCUPIED RUSSIA, 1942. FIGHT HARD. SHOOT STRAIGHT. DO NOT LET THEM TAKE YOU ALIVE.

In the cold winter of 1942, Soviet sniper Sara and her comrades fight against Nazi invaders. But as the fighting intensifies, can their squad survive? Inspired by true events.

From bestselling writer Garth Ennis (Preacher, The Punisher, The Boys) and Steve Epting (Velvet, Captain America).

• Ennis writes the best war stories I've ever read.

MORE COMICS

21ST CENTURIONS #10

78 MPH #3

AM ARCHIVES: ZORRO FOUR COLOR #2 1958

Story: Various | Art: Alex Toth | American Mythology | $3.99

Timeless Zorro stories by the master illustrator, Alex Toth, are back!  These tales have been out of print for almost 50 years and they are beautiful tales of swashbuckling heroics as only the Masked Avenger can deliver!  Come with us on a full 32 pages of classic tales including "The Eagle's Brood" and "The Visitor" which pit Zorro against the villains of the Old West. These stories are still exciting today and this is the only way to read them without dropping big bucks on an original copy. Enjoy the best of Zorro's adventures in this new Archive issue from your friends here at American Mythology!  This issue comes with two covers - a Main color photo cover featuring the one and only Guy Williams as Zorro and a special Limited-Edition 350 copy black & white Zorro photo cover from the archives!

• Needless to say, I'd prefer a collection of the Alex Toth Zorros.

ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #334

CHICKEN DEVILS #1

Story: Brian Buccellato | Art: Mattia Monaco | Cover: Hayden Sherman | Aftershock | $4.99

The world's FIRST (and perhaps only) hot chicken sandwich-inspired vigilante is BACK ... and this time he's not flocking around!

See Mitchell Moss thrust in the middle of a new gang war! Watch Mitch battle his family as they actively thwart his efforts to keep them safe! And let out an exasperated SIGH alongside Mitch as he is forced into teaming up with the kill-crazy bad cops!

Written by Brian Buccellato (Injustice: Gods Among Us, Detective Comics: Endgame) and illustrated by Mattia Monaco (KNOCK 'EM DEAD), these are the further adventures of a regular guy plucked out of obscurity by destiny to deliver justice with all the fixins!

• This doesn't say if Chicken Devil is still set in Memphis, but I sure hope it is!

CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SALEM ONE-SHOT

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art/Cover: Dan Schoening | Archie | $3.99

Salem the Cat has always been known as Sabrina's familiar, but what happens when Sabrina's not around to protect him (or, as is more the case, when he doesn't have to protect her)? This special one-shot explores a different side of Salem's life, one in which he acts as an anti-hero enacting vigilante justice on those who hurt others like him ... animals, in a horror story that's equal parts Pet Sematary and Hereditary.

• I suspect things aren't going to go well for the neighborhood dogs.

COLLECTED TOPPI HC VOL 08

DREADFUL DREAMSCAPES #1

Story: Noelle Kuhoric, Anne Toole, Danita Parrish | Art: VARIOUS | Cover: Miriana Puglia | American Mythology | $3.99

Three female writers deliver a new vision of terror with tales from the Dreadful Dreamscapes! Nightmare visions from new and veteran scribes unleash the horror that has been hiding in the back of your brain since childhood.  What is that lurking under the bed? How did she manage to dismember five people?  How can these creatures exist in a world that hides the existence of monsters of the supernatural and the everyday?  Let these tales open your eyes to the horror all around us!  Dreadful Dreamscapes #1 comes with three covers — Main by the incredible Miriana Puglia, Dissection variant by newcomer Nadia Krofcheck, and a 100 copy Black & White Virgin Art "Century" Limited Edition!

E RATIC RECHARGED #2 (OF 4)

ELLES #3

EXCITING COMICS #24

FADE A LIGHT GN

Story/Art: Nate Fakes | West Margin Press | $19.99

The first time Nate met his future stepdad in the summer of 1994, he thought Ron was nice, goofy, and kind, the type of guy who wasn't afraid to be himself. Ron liked to honk at other Jeeps while driving his own, bang on the drums without abandon, and order practically the whole menu at drive-thrus. It was alternatively embarrassing, annoying, and funny, though one thing was for sure: life with Ron was never dull.

But as years passed, Nate noticed Ron's behavior becoming erratic and strange. He forgot obvious things and seemed more stubborn and irritable than before. Finally Ron received a diagnosis: he has frontotemporal dementia, a progressive disorder that affects about 10 percent of all dementia cases. There is no cure.

Stylized in black-and-white drawings, A Fade of Light is a graphic memoir capturing the fullness of a life well lived — the ups and downs, the laughter and tears, the joys and heartaches, and the treasured moments that will always be cherished, if not remembered.

• Sounds like another biographical tear-jerker that I'm not going to read. But here a whole bunch of words from West Margin Press to convince you to read it:

Author/cartoonist Nate Fakes is a storyboard artist, commercial illustrator, cartoonist and book author. His work has been published in publications like MAD Magazine and the New York Times, and he is the author of Break of Day, a syndicated comic series that has been read worldwide in print and online. Visit him at nfakes.com and @nate_fakes on Instagram.

The illustration style is simple but expressive, Publishers Weekly says A FADE OF LIGHT is "rendered in homey illustrations seemingly pulled from the funny pages." The style is accessible to readers whether they are longtime fans of graphic novels or beginner readers of the genre.

Topical subject matter including complex family dynamics, divorce and stepparents, finding your own path, and dealing with a gradually progressive illness.

PRAISE FOR A FADE OF LIGHT:

Editor's Picks, Honorable Mention at Publishers Weekly's US Book Show

"A young cartoonist’s career ascent coincides with his stepfather’s struggle with dementia in this moving graphic memoir by syndicated cartoonist Fakes (Break of Day). . . Rendered in homey illustrations seemingly pulled from the funny pages, Ron’s irremediable decline feels all the more disarming. It’s a heartbreaking but loving portrait, swelling with pathos, that will appeal to family memoir readers who might post cut-out strips of For Better or for Worse on the fridge." — Publishers Weekly

"Fakes recounts his relationship with his stepfather Ron, a zany, affable guy who comes into his life when Fakes is in adolescence. A relationship that could easily be fraught with teenage tension instead but instead feels full of mutual affection. ... A capable slice-of-life memoir, this captures the denial, frustration, and despair of observing a loved one’s fading away." — Library Journal

"A Fade of Light is a rare story that is both deeply heartbreaking and heartwarming. Nate Fakes is an observant writer and artist, with a good memory and an eye for small, revealing details. In his clear cartooning style, Fakes shows he and his family navigating a rare disease imperfectly but as well as they can. He captures the confusion and frustration of knowing something's wrong but not what, of desperately wanting to fix something that can't be fixed." — Brian Fies, Eisner Award–winning author of Mom's Cancer

FAR CRY: ESPERANZA’S TEARS #1

W) Mathieu Mariolle (A/CA) Afif Khaled, Salaheddine Basti | Ablaze | Mature | $3.99

THE GLOBAL BESTSELLING VIDEOGAME COMES TO COMICS!

For Juan Cortez, guerrilla warfare is a profession. Death, a hobby.

There are many of them ... humans plagued by addictions. Some only experience extreme sensations, others can't do without euphoric substances. Juan Cortez is a guerrilla warfare addict. For years, he's traveled from countries at war to conflict zones, putting his experience and training at the service of the highest bidder. This time, fate led him to Santa Costa, a South American country that curiously reminds him of Yara, his native land. Because here, as on the island of Ant n Castillo, the recent discovery of a rare resource, a mineral called "Tantalum," has upset the economy of a small nation previously ignored.

Three camps now face each other: the military junta recently established in power by Di Stefano, the bourgeois party led by the daughter of the assassinated former leader and a revolutionary group, defender of labor and indigenous rights. It was the latter, guided by their leader Max Purillo, who called on Juan's talents. And for him, it's blessed bread. A nascent guerrilla, a troubled period politically, and above all: money. A lot of money. To save the country, he is asked to strike a blow by assassinating General Di Stefano. But of course, nothing will go as planned.

A prequel to the events of Far Cry 6, this amphetamine-boosted comic introduces Juan Cortez, one of the central characters in the newest installment of Ubisoft's bestselling video game series. 

FOLLOW ME INTO THE DARKNESS TP

Story/Art: Damian Connelly | Sumerian Comics | $16.99

Less than a day until the apocalypse. The darkness guides Yuko and Sebastian to Alaska. There, they will look for a girl who lives hiding in the forest, and who may be the key to prevent the imminent final judgment. Meanwhile, the children of the comet face a new and peculiar threat in Kolosimo's Chinatown.

HIGHBALL #2

JONESES TP

KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE #297

LADY DEATH OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

A LEGACY OF VIOLENCE #1

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art/Cover: Andrea Mutti | Mad Cave | $3.99

A Legacy of Violence, by masters of horror Cullen Bunn and Andrea Mutti, with letters by Rus Wooton, follows Dr. Nick Shaw; an honest doctor just trying to help people. But one day, when a patient gets out of control, Nick suddenly begins recalling past memories he had kept hidden away. That's when he decides to join Doctors Without Borders and heads straight for Central America. But his past still comes calling. With a serial killer on the loose in the small town of Disante, Honduras, Nick's flashbacks begin to intensify — and become clearer. Was Nick meant to go to Honduras? Is this all part of the killer's plan? Find out what Nick has been repressing all these years and why.

LOCUST: BALLAD OF MEN #2

LORE OLYMPUS VOL 3 GN

MAD CAVE STUDIOS LEGACY BATTLECATS #2

MEGA CENTURIONS #3 (OF 5)

NIGHT EATERS VOL 1: SHE EATS AT NIGHT GN

Story: Marjorie M. Liu | Art/Cover: Sana Takeda | Abrams | $24.99

The first volume in a new graphic novel horror trilogy from Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda — the creative team behind the New York Times bestselling series Monstress. Chinese American twins, Milly and Billy, are having a tough time. On top of the multiple failures in their personal and professional lives, they're struggling to keep their restaurant afloat. When their mother Ipo forces them to help her clean up the house next door — a hellish and run-down ruin that was the scene of a grisly murder — the twins are in for a nasty surprise. A night of terror, gore and supernatural mayhem reveals that there is much more to Ipo and her children than meets the eye.

• Yikes, I was sent a review copy and still haven't read it. I feel more ashamed than usual.

NINJA HIGH SCHOOL #182

NINJA KAIDAN #3

PATHFINDER ADV CROWN KOBOLD KING ANN SP ED

PLANET COMICS #8

QUAD VOL 1

SATANIKA VS. MORELLA'S DEMON #2

SHERLOCK HOLMES: INTERNATIONAL ADVENTURES GN

SHERLOCK: A SCANDAL IN BELGRAVIA PART 2 #3

SPECTREMAN HEROES #3 (OF 5) HYOMAN    $4.99

UNPREPPED #1 (OF 5)

Story: Chuck Dixon, Scott Beatty | Art: Marlin Shoop | Antarctic Press | $4.99

You may THINK you're ready for the apocalypse, but even after lockdown plagues, town-razing natural disasters, and an ever-present threat of rogue nations going nuclear, the average Joe just isn't prepared for a total global disaster.  Witness mankind's transition from the Digital Age to the Stone Age in the blink of an eye, and the only light comes from an angry sun setting on two families struggling to survive.  Comics legend Chuck Dixon reunites with frequent collaborator Scott Beatty to chronicle the final days with artist Marlin Shoop!  It's the end of the world as THEY know it!

• If the apocalypse comes, I know I'll be dead in the first six hours. Good luck to these folks, whoever they are.

WRONG EARTH ONE-SHOTS TP

• Attention, Ahoy fans!

YEAR ZERO VOL 0 #1 (OF 5)

Story: Daniel Kraus | Art: Goran Sudzuka | Cover: Kaare Andrews | AWA | $3.99

In this action-packed prelude to the hit series, acclaimed horror writer Daniel Kraus (George Romero's The Living Dead, The Autumnal) unveils four globe-spanning tales from the earliest days of the zombie apocalypse when even the wildest rumors couldn't measure up to the horror to come. A streetwise Russian cop patrols the back alleys of the opportunistic black market that emerges in response to the crisis ... a North Korean soldier observes strange happenings on the DMZ ... an E.R. nurse in the rural South fights to protect her hospital from threats without and within ... a transgender flight attendant who has observed disturbing clues as she crisscrosses the globe keeps a wary eye on the passenger in seat 23C.

• Geez, if the apocalypse comes when I'm on an airplane, I won't even get six hours!

YESTERDAY DIARY COMIX TP

MORE MANGA

ABANDONED EMPRESS GN VOL 03

AKIRA ART OF WALL BOX SET

ATOM BEGINNING GN VOL 01

Story: Osamu Tezuka, Masami Yuuki | Art/Cover: Tetsuro Kasahara | Titan | $12.99

Prequel to one of the most influential manga of all time: Astro Boy by Osamu Tezuka!

Astro boy has spawned multiple anime adaptations, video games, and more!

A sci-fi manga about the turbulent lives of two robotics engineering students and their latest revolutionary project: the unassuming yet insanely strong A106, or "Six."

• Attention Astro Boy fans!

AWAKEN GN VOL 01

BANISHED FROM HERO PARTY QUIET COUNTRYSIDE GN VOL 03

BEAUTY AND FEAST GN VOL 04

BLACK & WHITE TOUGH LOVE AT OFFICE GN VOL 01

BLACK OR WHITE GN VOL 05

CASE CLOSED GN VOL 84

CAT MASSAGE THERAPY GN VOL 03

CHITOSE IS IN RAMUNE BOTTLE GN VOL 02

COMBATANTS WILL BE DISPATCHED GN VOL 07

CREEPY CAT GN VOL 04

DAIGO THE BEAST GN VOL 04

DANDADAN GN VOL 01

DUKE OF DEATH & HIS MAID GN VOL 03

EXECUTIONER & HER WAY OF LIFE GN VOL 01

FORMERLY FALLEN DAUGHTER OF DUKE GN VOL 01

GEEK EX-HITMAN GN VOL 02

GHOST IN THE SHELL HUMAN ALGORITHM VOL 03

GIRL FROM OTHER SIDE SIUIL RUN DLX ED OMNIBUS HC VOL 02

HI SCORE GIRL GN VOL 09

HUNTING IN ANOTHER WORLD WITH MY ELF WIFE VOL 01

HYPERVENTILATION GN VOL 00

IM NOT POPULAR GN VOL 20

IN THE LAND OF LEADALE GN VOL 02

ISLAND IN A PUDDLE GN VOL 04

KAIJU NO 8 GN VOL 04

KAKEGURUI COMPULSIVE GAMBLER GN VOL 15

KAKEGURUI TWIN GN VOL 11

KEMONO JIHEN GN VOL 02

KEPT PRESSING 100 MILLION YEAR BUTTON ON TOP GN VOL 01

KOMI CANT COMMUNICATE GN VOL 21

KONOHANA KITAN GN VOL 11

LOVESICK ELLIE GN VOL 06

MAGIC ARTISAN DAHLIA WILTS NO MORE GN VOL 03

MANGA INSPIRED SHORT STORIES (SATURDAY AM TANK) TP

MONSTABOO GN VOL 02

MOON & SUN GN VOL 02

MY ISEKAI LIFE GN VOL 03

NIGHTS WITH A CAT GN VOL 02

PEACH BOY RIVERSIDE GN VOL 08

SAINTS MAGIC IS OMNIPOTENT GN VOL 06

SAKAMOTO DAYS GN VOL 04

SAMURAI 2.0 #1 (OF 4)

SASAKI & PEEPS GN VOL 01

SHE LOVES TO COOK & SHE LOVES TO EAT GN VOL 01

SHOWA HISTORY OF JAPAN GN VOL 02 1939-1944

Story/Art: Shigeru Mizuki | $29.95

Showa 1939-1944: A History of Japan continues Eisner award-winning author Shigeru Mizuki's historical and autobiographical account of Japanese life in the twentieth century. This volume covers the devastation of the Sino-Japanese War and the first few years of the Pacific War-a chilling reminder of just how harsh life in Japan was during this hostile era. Pivotal events like the attack on Pearl Harbor are reframed as part of a larger context detailing the country's brutal military expansion into Southeast Asia and elsewhere.

• Dang, I've been meaning to get this whole series as it is re-issued, but I haven't seen a one at the usual sources. I guess I'm just going to have to bite the bullet and buy the whole thing from Amazon.

SHWD GN VOL 01

SPLATOON GN VOL 15

THIS IS SCREWED UP REINCARNATED AS GIRL GN VOL 03

VAMPIRE DORMITORY GN VOL 07

YELLOW STRINGER (SATURDAY AM TANK) VOL 01

YURI ESPOIR GN VOL 02

MORE KIDS

ANIMORPHS GN VOL 03 THE ENCOUNTER

BEAK & ALLY SC GN BEDTIME JITTERS

BESTIES FIND THEIR GROOVE GN

BIG IDEAS THAT CHANGED WORLD WE THE PEOPLE GN

BIRD & SQUIRREL GN HC VOL 07 ALL TOGETHER

BROTHERS FLICK IMPOPSSIBLE DOORS TP

BUG SCOUTS YR GN VOL 01 OUT OF THE WILD

CREEPOVER GN VOL 02 YOU CANT COME IN HERE

DARK MAGE GN ADV HC

GRAND TOURNAMENT GN ADV HC

I LIKE TO READ COMICS HC GN IM OGRE IT   

I LIKE TO READ COMICS HC GN OWL AND PENGUIN

LEON HC GN VOL 01 LEON THE EXTRAORDINARY

MINIONS MINI BOSS TP

PHOEBE & HER UNICORN GN VOL 16 UNICORNADO

PLAY LIKE A GIRL HC GN

PUNK TACO HC VOL 02

SENSORY LIFE ON THE SPECTRUM AUTISTIC COMICS ANTHOLOGY

SIR LADYBUG HC GN VOL 03 BOOKWORMS

SPACE BRIGADE ADVENTURES HC

SPIDER HAM HOLLYWOOD MAY HAM GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "But what does Ace think about being benched?"

Maybe Ace is teaming up with Shaggy.

NAMOR THE SUB-MARINER: CONQUERED SHORES #1: I'm a pretty big fan of the Sub-Mariner and I usually buy at least the first issue of any new series (just to keep track in case I grow a wild hair someday), but that whole unwater vampire thing pretty much turned me off the character... for good? I don't know, but a series set in an alternate future doesn't really do much for me. I'll take a look at it, but it'll have to be a pretty light week for me to buy it.

Actually, this does look to be a pretty light week... unless a lot of late pre-orders come in.

• What "underwater vampire thing," may I ask?

• From 2010:

59150992168.1.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

Yuck.

• I haven’t read this. Was it a series? A one-shot? And what was awful about it?

• I haven't read it either, but I was curious. It was a miniseries:

GCD :: Covers :: Namor: The First Mutant (comics.org)

• It was very similar to that Alan Moore story about amphibious vampires, which worked for Swamp Thing but not for Namor. It was just ugly, very Lovecraftian (just look at the cover). Plus, I have never liked Marvel's various attempts to classify Namor as a mutant, fo no good reason other than to generate sales. Following Richard's link, I recall that bought one additional issue, #5, specifically because I liked the cover. At first glance I thought it was a flashback to Namor and Sue Storm, but it was actually a flashback to Namor and Betty Dead (note aircraft and battleship). I'm judging the whole series on the basis of the first issue (although I liked the fifth), so take my opinion FWIW.

59150992168.5.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I know it's a typo, but "Betty Dead" sounds like an X-Statix character. Or Walking Dead. Either way, somebody should tell Subby to stop kissing her!

• I haven't read any of the attempts to name him a mutant, but how else do you explain his foot wings (and how they can lift him)?

The special powers they gave him in his early appearances in Fantastic Four are obviously mopeed.

• I remember that "First Mutant" series a bit. That first issue is where Namor recovers Dracula's head, leading to his participation in a new X-Men series which was also starting at the time.  The first few issues were the X-Men ressurrecting Dracula and allying with him to fight a horde of vampired led by his son.

• Traditionally Namor was called a "hybrid" instead of "mutant".

Richard Willis said:

I haven't read any of the attempts to name him a mutant, but how else do you explain his foot wings (and how they can lift him)?

The special powers they gave him in his early appearances in Fantastic Four are obviously mopeed.

This reply was deleted.