Comics Guide: Oct. 17-23, 2022

BOOM

ALL NEW FIREFLY #9

ALL-NEW FIREFLY: GOSPEL ACCORDING TO JAYNE VOL 1 HC

EVE: CHILDREN OF THE MOON #1

Story: Victor Lavalle | Art:  Jo Migyeong | Cover: Ario Anindito | $3.99

The long-awaited return of the best-selling sci-fi adventure is finally here!

Eve seemingly saved the world once already, embarking on a perilous quest to protect what remained of humanity after a deadly virus outbreak ... but the story doesn't end there!

Eve, Eve's sister and Wexler face new challenges, and a darkness from the past, in this exciting sequel series from award-winning author and lauded professor Victor LaValle (Sabretooth, Destroyer) and returning Eve artist Jo Mi-Gyeong (The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance).

Perfect for fans of Little Monsters and What's The Furthest Place From Here, Eve: Children of the Moon continues to ask-what kind of world are we leaving for our children?

I'M STILL ALIVE OGN HC

WYND: THRONE IN SKY #3

DARK HORSE COMICS

BLACKWOOD DELUXE LIBRARY EDITION HC

Story: Evan Dorkin | Art:  Andy Fish | Art/Cover: Veronica Fish | $39.99

Dark Horse Books presents Blackwood: Library Edition, collecting the two volumes in the series so far. Written by multi-Eisner award-winning author, Evan Dorkin, and illustrated by Veronica Fish and Andy Fish, Blackwood, the supernatural fantasy about a magical murder in a sorcery school, will soon be available in a deluxe, oversized hardcover format.

When four teenagers with haunted pasts enroll in Blackwood College — a school that trains students in the occult — their desire to enhance their supernatural abilities and bond with others is hampered by an undead dean's curse, ghosts in their dorm, a mischievous two-headed mummy-chimp, a plague of mutant insects and the discovery of an ancient evil that forces our heroes to undergo a crash course in the occult for the sake of the world.

Praise for Blackwood:

“It’s a great horror comic with lots of occult mystery, and the creative team of Dorkin and Veronica and Andy Fish are about as strong as you get in mainstream monthly comics. Blackwood could be a contender for series of the year, and I can’t wait to read what happens next.” — Comicbook.com

“Listen … I’m all in on this crazy sh*t. I was basically all in when I read ‘Evan Dorkin,’ but after the first several pages, I’m all in.” — Comic Bastards

CASTLE FULL OF BLACKBIRDS #2

COUNT CROWLEY: AMATEUR MIDNIGHT MONSTER HUNTER #4

CRITICAL ROLE: TALES OF EXANDRIA VOL 1: BRIGHT QUEEN TP

HELLBOY IN LOVE #1 (OF 5)

Story: Mike Mignola, Christie Golden | Art/Cover: Matt Smith | $3.99

This October Dark Horse Comics will publish Hellboy in Love, an all-new five-issue comic book series featuring occult adventure and unlikely romance, by legendary Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, bestselling novelist Christopher Golden, award-winning artist Matt Smith, colorist Chris O’Halloran, and letterer Clem Robins. In the series’ opening tale, the two-part Goblin Night, Hellboy has been assigned to protect a shipment of occult artifacts from a gang of thieving goblins. The artifacts are being transported by train to the British Museum by archaeologist Anastasia Bransfield, and she’s not going to let them go without a fight! Rather than stay behind, she teams up with Hellboy to chase the light-fingered fey through the British countryside and into ... a local punk show?

“It’s been 25 years since Dr. Anastasia Bransfield first appeared as Hellboy’s ex-girlfriend in my novel Hellboy: The Lost Army,” says Golden. “I’ve always thought one of the reasons Mike considered my three Hellboy novels as canon is because of that relationship. Over the years we talked many times about telling the stories of their adventures together, and the day has finally come. It’s Romancing the Stone-style action, occult weirdness and first love, with gorgeous Matt Smith art! We’re having so much fun!”

‘‘It starts with a goblin train robbery in the English countryside. There’s also a punk show. These were the first words Christopher Golden told me about the story he and Mike put together, and that’s really all I needed to hear,” said Matt Smith. “How could I not be stoked to draw this thing? I’m very grateful to be back with the same creative team as Hellboy: The Bones of Giants.”

• Well, he is a growing boy. It was bound to happen.

PARASOMNIA: DREAMING GOD #3

SHAOLIN COWBOY: CRUEL TO BE KIN #6

STRANGER THINGS AFTERSCHOOL ADVENTURES OMNIBUS TP

WHEN EVERYTHING TURNED BLUE TP

Story/Art: Alessandro Baronciani | $19.99

From Alessandro Baronciani comes When Everything Turned Blue, an intimate story of one woman’s journey toward acceptance and healing. First released in Italy by Bao Publishing in 2020, Dark Horse is pleased to present this graphic novel in English for the first time, translated by Carla Roncalli di Montorio.

Chiara lives her life afraid of many things, but most of all the fear of an undiagnosed illness. As she delves further and further down a rabbit hole of denial and disassociation, she will be forced to make a decision that will alter her life forever.

• Here's a preview, mostly in blue.

DC COMICS

AQUAMAN: ANDROMEDA #3 (OF 3)

AQUAMAN/GREEN ARROW: DEEP TARGET TP

BATMAN: HUSH 20TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION

BATMAN: ONE BAD DAY -- THE PENGUIN #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: John Ridley | Art/Cover: Giuseppe Camuncoli | $7.99

The Penguin's criminal enterprise and the Iceberg Lounge have been stolen from underneath him by his former associate the Umbrella Man. The Umbrella Man has removed all of the rules for crime in Gotham City that the Penguin put in place, and the city is in chaos. The Penguin is a broken man, and he'll have to travel through the burning streets of Gotham with a gun and a single bullet putting together a new crew to take back what he's built. Will Batman help the devil he knows or face the devil he doesn't in the form of the Umbrella Man? A crime epic from the team behind the critically acclaimed Other History of the DC Universe, John Ridley and Giuseppe Camuncoli--don't miss it!

• What's that weird feeling -- is it excitement? Yes, I think it is. Really looking forward to these books being collected.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD'S FINEST #8

BATMAN: THE KNIGHT #10 (OF 10)

BLACK ADAM #5

CATWOMAN #48

DARK CRISIS: YOUNG JUSTICE #5 (OF 6)

DC VS. VAMPIRES: ALL-OUT WAR #4 (OF 6)

DCEASED: WAR OF THE UNDEAD GODS #3 (OF 8)

DOOM PATROL BY RACHEL POLLOCK OMNIBUS HC

• I stopped reading Doom Patrol after Morrison left, so this will be new to me.

DUO #6 (OF 6)

Story: Greg Pak | Art: Khoi Pham, Scott Hanna | Cover: Dike Ruan

In this climactic final issue, Kelly and David fight a war on three fronts! On one side there are malevolent immortals hungry for vengeance. On the other, Dr. Tinker, who will let those immortals rip the city apart to get his hands on Kelly and David's nanotech. But the real war is Kelly and David's fight with each other for control of the body they share...and their fate will, in turn, decide humanity's!

• Attention Milestone fans!

FABLES #156 (OF162)

FLASH #787

FLASHPOINT BEYOND #6 (OF 6)

GCPD: THE BLUE WALL #1 (OF 6)

Story: John Ridley | Art: Stefano Raffaele | Cover: Reiko Murakami | $3.99

Still relatively early in her tenure as GCPD commissioner, Renee Montoya sets out to rebuild her department and restore public faith in the historically troubled PD during some of the worst conditions it's ever seen. But Renee can't do it alone--in order for her plan to work, everyone from the topmost officials all the way down to the most fresh-faced new officers must contend with the harsh realities of being a symbol of law and order in a city of super-powered saviors and superhuman lawlessness. DC is proud to present GCPD: The Blue Wall by the stellar team of Academy Award-winning writer John Ridley and artist Stefano Raffaele. This six-part miniseries is a thought-provoking and riveting story of everyday people trying to do good in the midst of a flawed system. No one said protecting a city like Gotham would be easy.

• They keep trying this concept (Gotham Central, Gotham on TV) because it's a great idea. But they have to do it right: A police procedural from the police POV where the GCPD has to contend with occasional superhuman weirdness.
  • So it should mostly be Law & Order, but then once in a while some clown kills everyone at a baseball game and they have to whip out whatever protocols they have for that particular supervillain. (Which they must have, and yes, I'd be very curious to see.) Sure, Batman would have to drop in from time to time, but keep the POV that of the police — IOW, Batman battling Mr. Freeze or whomever mostly off-panel, while we see what the cops have to do to protect themselves and others. Plus, they'd have to deal with all the corruption at GCPD, which would be an antidote to all the copaganda on TV. That could be really cool. (If you shift the POV to what Batman is doing, it's just another Bat-book.)
  • Incidentally, is Montoya no longer The Question? I'd be pleased for that to be the case; I like her better as her unique self rather than as a hand-me-down, generic superhero. (If you must make her a superhero, give her a unique identity — Badass Girl or something, first of her name.) Besides, first-gen Question was starting to get interesting, when they played him like Jeffrey Combs did on Justice League Unlimited.
  • Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the philosophical O'Neil/Cowan version, but even as a lad I knew that version had a short shelf life — almost any rational philosophy would lead Sage to hang up the mask. Meanwhile, the JLU version was waaay down the rabbit hole, which is open-ended — and hilarious.

GREEN LANTERN: ALLIANCE TP

Story: Minh Lê | Art: Andie Tong

The creative duo behind fan-favorite Green Lantern: Legacy is working on the action-packed sequel we’ve all been waiting for! DC announced today that Green Lantern: Alliance, the newest middle-grade graphic novel from bestselling writer Minh Lê (Drawn Together) and artist Andie Tong (The Batman Strikes!), will be available to young readers in April. Join Green Lantern Tai Pham as he once again comes face-to-face with nemesis Xander Griffin — this time with help from Kid Flash!

It’s only been a few months since Green Lantern Tai Pham inherited his ring from his ba and defeated his nemesis, Xander Griffin, but Tai knows their last battle was only the beginning. Even though no one believes him, Tai is determined to prove that Xander is up to his old tricks again.

When a string of fires starts popping up around Coast City, Tai finds himself stretched thin as he struggles to keep up with school, training, working at his parents’ store and following Xander’s trail. That is until a new hero, known as Kid Flash, shows up on the scene with an offer to help. Can the heroes find the arsonist before it’s too late?

• Which Kid Flash is this? Looks familiar.

HARLEY QUINN THE ANIMATED  SERIES: LEGION OF BATS #1 (OF 6)

Story: Tee Franklin | Art: Shae Beagle | Cover: Yoshi Yoshitani | $3.99

When last we checked in with Harley Quinn, she ate, she banged, and she killed--but now it's time for something a little different. Fresh out of the events of Harley Quinn: The Animated Series season 3, Harley has found herself a part of a highly unlikely team — the Bat-Family! Meanwhile, Poison Ivy has found herself prepping for her new job — leader of the Legion of Doom! But while Harley and Ivy adjust to their respective new roles, a ghost from Ivy's past enters the fray and threatens the relationship between everyone's favorite clown/plant couple!

• Wow, they really are keeping tight in continuity with the TV show. I like that!

I AM BATMAN #14

NEW TEEN TITANS OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC (NEW PTG)

NIGHTWING #97

ROGUES #4 (OF 4)

SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? #118

TITANS UNITED: BLOODPACT #2 (OF 6)

WONDER WOMAN BY GEORGE PEREZ OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC (NEW PTG)

• If you haven't read these stories and you're a superhero comics fans, you really should.

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

IMMORTAL RED SONJA #7

MADBALLS VS. GARBAGE PAIL KIDS #4

VAMPIRELLA STRIKES #6

IDW PUBLISHING

BLOOM COUNTY LIBRARY BOOK 1 SC

CRASHING #2

GI JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO #299

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG: SCRAPNIK ISLAND #1

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES COMPENDIUM HC

TRANSFORMERS: BEST OF GRIMLOCK ONE-SHOT

TRVE KVLT #3

IMAGE COMICS

ABOVE SNAKES #4

BONE ORCHARD: BLACK FEATHERS #2

DEADLIEST BOUQUET #3

DEADLY CLASS #56

GUNNING FOR RAMIREZ VOL 2 TP

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #13

LEGO NINJAGO GARMADON #5

MARKED HALLOWEEN SPECIAL #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: David Hine, Brian Haberlin | Art/Covers: Brian Haberlin, Geirrod Van Dyke | 3D covers: Haberlin & Van Dyke | Mature | $5.99

Fan-favorite duo David Hine and Brian Haberlin re-team for a special Halloween treat for readers just in time for Halloween with The Marked: Halloween Special one-shot out from Image Comics.

Once every 100 years The Marked are challenged to a game called Rogue’s Night. It’s a game, like Russian Roulette is a game, like Christians vs. Lions was a game. The stakes are high and if The Marked lose, we all lose.

Here’s how it works: Rogue was a powerful witch who was kicked out of The Marked four hundred years ago for using Dark Magic. Every century she takes her revenge by choosing a location to unleash her mischief demons. This time her target is Holy Mountain, Texas, where a radical evangelist called Pastor Jonah is burning books and banning Halloween. According to the pastor, leftists and liberals are literally Satan’s demons in human form. As night falls on Halloween, it looks like he was right. The demons are here and it’s all tricks with no treats for the God-fearing citizens of Holy Mountain.

Their only hope of survival lies with the “witchy freaks” known as The Marked, the very people they tried to kick out of town.

Did we mention, that if The Marked fail to send the mischief demons back to Hell before midnight, they get to wreak havoc across the world for the next hundred years?!

Check out the bloody mayhem in regular hellish color or sit back and watch the demons leap off the page in our special 3-D version with exceptionally rare “BLINK” version.

“I love Halloween and wanted to tell a fun and scary story, and who better to cast than my favorite witches! So happy to be in the saddle again with David Hine and Geirrod Van Dyke ... and of course my favorite tattooed witches … THE MARKED,” said Haberlin.

Hine added: “I’ve been missing The Marked and I do apologize for killing off half a dozen of them in that first series. I note that Brian hasn’t dispatched any more characters while I was away but I’m back now and it’s Halloween, so nobody’s safe! Brian, why are you crying?”

• I don't know why witches have historically gotten such a bad rap. If there was a woman in my Medieval village who could cure people and help the crops grow, I would instantly be her best friend.

NITA HAWES' NIGHTMARE BLOG #9

PUBLIC DOMAIN #5

SHIRTLESS BEAR-FIGHTER 2 #3

SILVER COIN #15

THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE #49

Today Skybound revealed a captivating set of all-new The Walking Dead Deluxe connecting variant covers from first-class artist Tula Lotay (All Star Batman, Barnstormers). Kicking off the next arc of the landmark series, Lotay’s connecting covers showcase iconic characters Rick, Carl, Lori, Michonne, Glenn and Andrea as never seen before. 

These all-new covers will appear as variants to The Walking Dead Deluxe #49-54, with each issue presenting the series in full color format for the first time from creator Robert Kirkman, with art by Charlie Adlard and colors by Dave McCaig. Fans will also receive a new look at the worldwide pop culture phenomenon with exclusive “Cutting Room Floor” commentary, revelations, pinups and more from Kirkman celebrating the secret history of the series.

"After following up recent cover runs from Mike Del Mundo, Stephen Platt & Dave McCaig, and Paolo Rivera, we’re so excited that Tula Lotay is our next artist illustrating an incredible set of connecting covers for The Walking Dead Deluxe,” said Amanda LaFranco, Editor at Skybound. “The emotion she’s bringing to these illustrations captures the next harrowing arc so well, which sees our group splintered and separated after the events at the prison. Tula has such an immaculate eye when it comes to character, I’m so thrilled she went in this direction for these covers gracing our next six issues.”

MARVEL COMICS

ALIEN #2

AVENGERS #61

AVENGERS BY JASON AARON VOL 3 HC

BLACK PANTHER BY TA-NEHISI COATES OMNIBUS HC

• I haven't read this series, specifically waiting for an omnnibus. And lo, it arrives.

BLACK PANTHER: THE EARLY MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS HC VOL 1 HC

• Collecting Fantastic Four (1961) #52-53, 56, 119 and material from #54; Tales of Suspense (1959) #97-99; Captain America (1968) #100; Avengers (1963) #52, 62, 73-74, 77-79, 87, 112 and #126; Daredevil (1964) #52, 69 and Annual (1967) #4; Astonishing Tales (1970) #6-7; Marvel Team-Up (1972) #20 and Jungle Action (1972) #6-24.That's pretty much every Black Panther appearance before Jungle Action except maybe a few appearances in Avengers. I think this book overlaps a little with Marvel Masterworks: Black Panther Vol. 1, but it's still a pretty cool Magical History Tour for younger folks who never read these stories and older folks with fuzzy memories. I'm in one of those categories, so yes, I'll be getting this one, too.
  • The Li'l Capn wondered, back in the 1960s, why Black Panther occasionally guest-starred in Daredevil, instead of Fantastic Four or Captain America, where he had natural connections. Honestly, I still don't know why.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #6

CARNAGE #7

CRYPT OF SHADOWS #1

Story: Chris Cooper, Al Ewing, Danny Lore, Rebecca Roanhorse, Adam Warren, Chris Condon & more | Art: Karen S. Darboe, Geoff Shaw, Adam Warren, Ibrahim Moustafa & more | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu | Teen+ | $5.99

Join Marvel Comics and some of your favorite heroes for tales of fangs, claws and silent, stalking swamp creatures to celebrate All Hallows’ Eve in CRYPT OF SHADOWS #1! Paying homage to the original 1970s CRYPT OF SHADOWS anthology series, this giant-sized one-shot will feature a collection of stories that showcase just how creepy the Marvel Universe can be! Fans can expect supernatural adventures starring Moon Knight, Wolverine, Elsa Bloodstone, Man-Thing and Werewolf by Night, plus the return of Bloodline, the daughter of Blade who made her first appearance earlier this year in FREE COMIC BOOK DAY: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1! Bringing the horror will be an incredible lineup of talent including former Marvel editor Chris Cooper, known for his groundbreaking work on the original DARKHOLD series, with a story featuring Morbius and the star of Cooper’s DARKHOLD saga, Victoria Montesi. Joining him with spine-chilling tales of their own will be creators Al Ewing, Danny Lore, Rebecca Roanhorse, Adam Warren, Chris Condon, Karen S. Darboe, Geoff Shaw, Ibrahim Moustafa and more!

The heroes of the Marvel Universe spend most of their time in the bright sun, flying high above it all …but every once in a while, they venture into the darkness that lurks in the hidden corners of the world. There lurk the creatures, the monsters, the vampires … the ones who prey on innocence and goodness.

• This looks like fun, with some characters we don't get to see very often. I'm guessing this was scheduled to capitalize on Werewolf by Night on Disney+, but I'll take any excuse to see Victoria Montesi, Werewolf by Night and Elsa Bloodstone again!
  • Incidentally, what's so creepy about Wolverine (X-23 version) that she shows up here? Oh, right, sales.

DARK AGES TP

DEADLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #1

Story: Taboo, B. Earl | Art: Juan Ferreyra | Cover: Rahzzah | Teen+ | $4.99

A REVOLUTIONARY DARK TAKE ON SPIDER-MAN BEGINS HERE!

What is reality and what is dream? What is science and what is magic? At the intersection of all of this stands the Deadly Neighborhood Spider-Man. Peter Parker goes to Los Angeles and what he finds there are definitely not angels. The demons waiting for Peter are going to test him like never before. One demon in particular, a very famous one for Marvel and X-fans in particular, might just eat Spider-Man alive.

• Oh look, Evil Spider-Man. Again.
  • Here's a preview.

DEFENDERS BEYOND #4

FANTASTIC FOUR EPIC COLLECTION: MYSTERY OF THE BLACK PANTHER TP NEW PTG

HULK VS. THOR: BANNER OF WAR TP

ILLUMINATI TP

INCREDIBLE HULK EPIC COLLECTION: AND NOW WOLVERINE TP

IRON MAN #24

MIDNIGHT SUNS #2 (OF 5)

Story: Ethan Sacks | Art: Luigi Zagaria | Cover: David Nakayama| Teen+ | $3.99

MIDNIGHT SUNS #1 began a saga that will redefine Marvel magic! In the opening issue of this five-issue limited series, fans witnessed the rise of a new mystical threat and the impact it’ll have on prominent magic-users across the planet including Agatha Harkness! In typical Agatha fashion, the ancient witch seems to know more than anyone about the dark power that’s been unleashed and has her own plans for dealing with it. To learn the mystery of her motives, writer Ethan Sacks and artist Luigi Zagaria will reveal more about Agatha’s shrouded past than ever before starting in MIDNIGHT SUNS #2. Is the Marvel Universe ready to learn Agatha’s secrets?

Fans can get their first glimpse at Agatha in her more youthful days right now in Zagaria’s original design sheet AND in a captivating variant cover for MIDNIGHT SUNS #3 by InHyuk Lee.

“Agatha Harkness has been a mysterious character that had Marvel fans under a spell long before her MCU debut in Wandavision,” Sacks said. “Getting to reveal some of her comics backstory, from her younger, more passionate and less cynical days has been, well, magical.”

Since her first appearance in Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s Fantastic Four #94, Agatha has played many roles from Franklin Richards’ babysitter to Wanda Maximoff’s mentor, but her journey in MIDNIGHT SUNS promises to usher in her biggest transformation yet! Be there when the sins of Agatha’s past finally catch up to her in MIDNIGHT SUNS #2! For more information, visit Marvel.com.

• After WandaVision, I figured they'd have to find a way to youthanize Agatha to look more like Kathryn Hahn.
  • Here's a preview.

MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM BOOK 1: THE GOLDEN AGE TP

Story: Neil Gaiman | Art/Cover: Mark Buckingham | $19.99

Following the herald of his return in TIMELESS #1 and the announcement of an all-new omnibus, Marvel Comics continues to mark the 40th anniversary of Miracleman’s modern era with a new printing of award-winning writer Neil Gaiman and artist Mark Buckingham’s redefining work on the character.

Arriving in October, MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM BOOK 1: THE GOLDEN AGE TPB will collect the first six issues of MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN AND BUCKINGHAM. Gaiman and Buckingham’s take on MIRACLEMAN laid the groundwork for a fascinating future for the legendary super hero — a future that will now come to pass! Available for the first time in paperback, the MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM BOOK 1: THE GOLDEN AGE TPB will give fans a chance to revisit this beloved era of Miracleman ahead of the exciting plans Marvel has in store for the iconic character later this year.

Atop Olympus, Miracleman presides over a brave new world forged from London's destruction. It is a world free of war, of famine, of poverty. A world of countless wonders. A world where pilgrims scale Olympus' peak to petition their living god, while miles below the dead return in fantastic android bodies. It is an Age of Miracles — but is humankind ready for it? Do we even want it? Is there a place for humanity in a world of gods? Gaiman and Buckingham delve into the lives of lonely idealists, rebellious schoolchildren and fracturing families, exploring the human constant in a changing world of gods and miracles.

• I've waited this long for a hardback omnibus of Moore and Gaiman's Miracleman. I can wait a little longer.

MIRACLEMAN: THE SILVER AGE #1

Story:Neil Gaiman | Art/Cover By Mark Buckingham | Colors: Jordie Bellaire | Letters: Todd Klein | Mature | $4.99

Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham's unfinished storyline "The Silver Age" begins next month! In the late 80s, Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham took over the saga of Miracleman to critical acclaim. The pair of comic visionaries expanded the Miracleman mythos with new characters and introduced the story of Young Miracleman. Their series was cut short mid-storyline almost 30 years ago, but now their Miracleman: The Silver Age saga will finally be completed! MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM: THE SILVER AGE #1 and MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM: THE SILVER AGE #2 will present the early chapters of the story that made it to stands but with stunning new remastered artwork by Buckingham and containing bonus content! And then, starting in December’s MIRACLEMAN: THE SILVER AGE #3, all-new material by Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham will at long last, continue this legendary comic story!

"On our original run, I struggled a bit with the design of Miraclewoman's costume, so I looked to do something less angular and more flowing and sensitive,” Buckingham said of one change he brought to the new series. “By the time I circled back to those scenes in 2022, I felt more comfortable working with the original design."

Also arriving next month, MIRACLEMAN #0 will drum up the anticipation by getting new readers and longtime fans excited for the return of Miracleman! The giant-sized one-shot will celebrate the 40th anniversary of Miracleman’s modern era with a breathtaking journey through the fascinating Miracleman mythology in a collection of stories by Mike Carey, Peach Momoko, Jason Aaron, Ryan Stegman, and more. Neil Gaiman and Mark Buckingham will also craft a framing story for the issue that will lead into their upcoming return. Look for it when it hits stands on October 5.

A character with a tremendous legacy in the comic book industry, Miracleman’s modern era officially begin in 1982. Miracleman changed perceptions of what a comic could be with its dark and socially relevant interpretation of the Super Hero genre, which has led Time Magazine to call it “a must-read for scholars of the genre, and of the comic book medium in general.” Often hailed as one of the greatest comics of all time, Miracleman holds a significant place in many fan’s hearts, and his absence in the last decades have only made his impact more revered and treasured. Right now, check out an exclusive preview, featuring Buckinham’s breathtaking new artwork, and pick up MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN AND BUCKINGHAM: THE SILVER AGE #1 on October 19! And if you want the full scope of Gaiman and Buckingham’s Miracleman, dive into the first part of their legendary run with MIRACLEMAN BY GAIMAN & BUCKINGHAM BOOK 1: THE GOLDEN AGE TPB, also arriving next month! For more information, visit Marvel.com.

MOON KNIGHT #16

PREDATOR #3

SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN: THE MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS VOL 8 HC

• I really thought this series (and the companion Conan the Barbarian: The Marvel Years Omnibus) would cease when Marvel lost the franchise again. I guess I was wrong.

SHANG-CHI AND TEN RINGS #4

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #28

THOR #28

TRIALS OF X VOL 1 TP

X-FORCE #33

Story: Benjamin Percy | Art: Robert Gill | Cover: Joshua Cassara | Parental Advisory | $3.99

The astounding conclusion to “The Hunt for X” arrives in Benjamin Percy and Robert Gill’s X-FORCE #33. Mutants have staked their claim as the dominant species. That just means it’s time for Kraven the Hunter to prove once more he’s the apex predator. Kraven, Wolverine, Omega Red, dinosaurs and more in this Kraven tale unlike any other, sure to reverberate for decades to come.

• Judgment Day tie-in. Despite the rash of Judgment Day books (nine last week alone), it's not over. Judgment Day #6 and Judgment Day: Omega #1 are still on the horizon.
  • Here's a preview.

X-MEN #16

YOUNG AVENGERS BY HEINBERG AND CHEUNG OMNIBUS HC

• This overlaps with some Young Avengers collections I already have, but when has that ever stopped me?

MORE COMICS

1914-1919: THROUGH EYES OF FORTUNINO MATANIA

Book Palace | $61.99

In August 1914 much of Europe was pitched into a war which would eclipse all others in terms of its industrialised ferocity. In an era where photography and film recording were still in their infancy, much of the news was relayed through the work of reportage artists. Pre-eminent amongst such artists was Fortunino Matania who was The Sphere's artist-on-the-spot for events ranging from coronations to colliery disasters. Sent to a variety of fronts to cover the conflict, his illustrations created a gripping and, at times, life-affirming testimony to those traumatic times. For the first time ever, this book collects those images in large format so that they can be viewed as they were intended.

• WANT. THIS.

ABOLITION OF MAN #1 (OF 5)

Story/Art: Carson Grubaugh | Living the Line | Mature | $6.99

What do you get when you take a groundbreaking philosophical essay by C.S. Lewis and feed it into an AI image generator, one line at a time? The world's first (and only) entirely-computer generated comic book, The Abolition of Man issue #1, by oil painter turned Eisner-nominated cartoonist Carson Grubaugh (Strange Death of Alex Raymond). Alternately hilarious and terrifying, Abolition gives a chilling peek into the world of the future, where humans and their most treasured passions have lost all purpose.

• To quote the great philosopher Butt-head: "Uh, what?"

ACG COLLECTED WORKS: FORBIDDEN WORLDS SOFTEE VOL 19

AGENT OF WORLDE #3 (OF 4)

AKKAD VOL 1 (OF 2) GN

Story/Art: Clarke | $16.95

In the near future, Earth is falling to a catastrophic alien invasion: Giant beetle-like creatures emerge without warning from spatio-temporal rifts, wipe out resistance in a certain zone, then seal it behind a completely impenetrable barrier. Entire sections of the planet have already been lost forever. With conventional weaponry powerless, the USA authorizes a program that will turn five teenagers into pure geniuses. Will the test subjects find a defense, though — or will they become out of control themselves?

• Of all the terrible ways to die, eaten by giant beetles is pretty high on my list.

ALPHA BETAS #1 (OF 4)

Story: Kyle Starks | Art:  Trevor Richardson, Kenny Aitken | Art/Cover: Michael Calero | Whatnot Publishing | Mature | $3.99

Origins Part 1. It's Rick and Morty meets Tron as top gamers Eddie, Buck, Mason and Tommy find themselves caught in the middle of a high stakes battle between the U.S. government and a digital terrorist inside the virtual realm of video games. Now they must save the pixelated world of NIMBUS to prevent catastrophic consequences in the real world. Based on the new animated series with over 7 million views, Alpha Betas is a collaboration between popular YouTube creators, Evan "VanossGaming" Fong, Marcel "BasicallyIDoWrk" Cunningham, Tyler "I AM WILDCAT" Wine and Brian "Terroriser" Hanby, with more than 60 million subscribers across their channels, and the voice talents of Hollywood heavy hitters like Paget Brewster (Community), Stephanie Beatriz (Brooklyn Nine-Nine), and Chris Parnell (Rick and Morty).

• I thought this was for kids until I saw the "Mature" label, but after reading the description I'm still thinking it's pretty juvenile. You can scan the preview and make up your own mind.

APPLE BLACK (SATURDAY AM TANK) VOL 2: SUNNY EYES GN

AUGUST PURGATORY UNDERGROUND #2

AZZA THE BARBED #2 (OF 5)

BACK TO FAIRTAYLIA #1 (OF 6)

Story: Jorg Alberts, Roland Heep | Art:  P.R. Dedelis | $4.99

Once upon a time, childhood friends found a magical doorway to Fairtaylia, an enchanted realm full of wizardry and wonder. Twenty years later they are a bunch of self-absorbed adults who don't believe in fairytales anymore ... until a talking squirrel and a chainsaw-wielding fairy show up on their doorsteps. In a fast-paced quest to save Fairtaylia from an unspeakable evil, the gang has to evade wicked witches, battle orcs, fight ogres and break into Cinderella's castle while suffering through fairy farts, skimpy outfits and several musical numbers. Good luck with happily ever after.

• For fans of I Hate Fairyland, I guess?

BETTY & VERONICA JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #308

CAREER SHOPLIFTER GN

Story/Art: Gabrielle Bell | $8.00

Gabrielle concludes that she is a failure in life, so she might as well do what she likes for the rest of it. She spends hours at cafes covertly drawing and eavesdropping on her fellow layabouts and shirkers every day. Occasionally she gets caught, and sometimes, she makes friends. Being a failure can be a lot of fun. Gabrielle Bell is comics' most infamous diarist and the creator of The Voyeurs and Everything is Flammable.

• I used to sit in class and draw my fellow students sometimes, but eventually they'd notice me staring and confront me. So I stopped.

CODE 45 #4 (OF 5)

DEAD KINGDOM #1

Story/Art: Etienne Derepentigny | Red 5 Comics | $3.95

A mysterious plague is haunting the kingdom. With the help of a peacekeeper, a group of soldiers investigate a village that may hold the answers to what is happening. But the truth is far worse that everyone could ever imagine. Dead Kingdom is a five-part, multi-layered saga that will explore a world where sorcery, brotherhood, and love collide with the rising nightmare of the living dead.

• Oh, the living dead, that's easy. Giant carnivorous beetles, on the other hand ... brrr.

DESTINY NY HALLOWEEN SPECIAL #1

• For those who are reading Destiny NY.

EXCITING COMICS #25

An homage to Adventure Comics #247.

EXCITING COMICS #26

FEAR THE FUNHOUSE ONE-SHOT

Story: Micol Ostow, Magdalene Visaggio, Michael Northrop | Art: Ryan Caskey, Diana Camero | Art/Cover: Lisette Carrera | Archie | $3.99

A night camping at their treehouse in the woods leads the pre-teen Archie and his friends to do what any kid their age would do in that scenario: tell scary stories! But each story grows creepier and creepier as the kids realize that maybe, just maybe, there is some truth to these tall tales in an anthology that's equal parts Are You Afraid of the Dark? and Goosebumps.

FIRE TEAM HARDCORE VOL 1

Story/Art: Don Lomax | Cover: Gabriel G Perez | Caliber | $16.99

Collected and published for the first time in over 30 years! From Harvey-nominated writer/artist Don Lomax, creator of the Vietnam Journal series. Cam Ky MacMurphy is half-Vietnamese, half-American. His uncle, Nguyen Van Tan, raised him from birth in the U.S. and the two live in an area that is controlled by a skinhead gang. The neighborhood lives in fear as the gang forces them to pay "protection" money. When Nguyen refuses, he and Cam are beaten and their family store is burned to the ground. Then hope appears in the form of a ghost from the past. When Nguyen was young, right after Cam was born, he worked with a U.S. Fire Team deployed in the last days of the Vietnam War. The team was comprised of six brave men who ended up sacrificing their lives trying to evacuate women and children from an about-to-be-overrun base. Now the Fire Team has come back from the dead to not only save Nguyen and Cam but bring news to Cam that his American father is alive and fighting a guerilla war in the Vietnamese jungles! Collects all 6 issues.

FLESH-EATING CHEERLEADERS FROM OUTER SPACE #1

Story: James Mascia | Art: Felipe Obando | Cover: C. B. Zane | $4.99

When a meteor crashes in the middle of campus, the students at Pullman University don't realize they're being invaded by a cadre of body-snatching aliens. But when a group of cheerleaders are the first to stumble upon the wreckage, they're transformed from normal students into flesh-eating cannibals. Soon, the problem isn't going to be the creatures, it's going to be the monsters that these cheerleaders become! Hearkening back to the classic horror B-Movies from the 1960s, '70s and '80s, Flesh-Eating Cheerleaders will set your hair on end with its horrifying action and its cannibalistic co-eds.

• When I was young, cheerleaders were a lot more non-lethal and "man-eater" was just an expression. Times change, I guess.

FUNGIRL: YOU’RE REVOLTING TP

FOREVER FORWARD #2 (OF 5)

FRANK FRAZETTA DEATH DEALER #6

• This issue's Frazetta painting: "The Sorcerer."

GOLD DIGGER #292

GOLD DIGGER #293

GRIMM FAIRY TALES PRESENTS HORROR PINUP 2022 CVR A REYES

Story: Dave Franchini Art/Cover: Various | Zenescope | $5.99

Just in time for the Halloween season comes the Grimm Fairy Tales 2022 Horror Pinup Special!

Get ready to check out all of your favorite Grimm Universe heroines and villainesses, donning the cosplays of pop culture's most famous monsters! Some of the industry's top artists contribute gorgeous pin-ups of the Grimm Universe's most popular female characters in this stunning collection.

Also includes a never-before-published Grimm Fairy Tales short story!

• Clearly taking notes from the cannibal cheerleaders.
  • That second cover is probably an homage to the Marilyn Monroe subway-grate scene in Seven-Year Itch.

HARDEARS GN

Story: Nigel Lynch, Matthew Clarke | Art: Cathy Thomas | Abrams | $18.99

Hardears is an Afro-Caribbean fantasy-adventure graphic novel. A superstorm of unprecedented strength obliterates the Jouvert Island, leaving it totally defenseless. As the island reels from the devastation, Mr. Harding, the head of the Merchant Guild, charges in and promises to rebuild the economy of the island by creating jobs in his giant corporation. However, Harding is a parasite and is capturing people from the island and using their life essence or vibes to feed his factories. Bolo, a local hero, saves his love Zahrah from Hardin and cronies but the lovers are then framed as rebels against the state. If Bolo, Zahrah, and their allies don't take down Harding and the corrupt government, all will be lost!

HAWK THE SLAYER #5 (OF 5)

HEAVEN’S REJECT #2

THE OFFICIAL HORIZON ZERO DAWN PEACH MOMOKO POSTER PORTFOLIO

This portfolio showcases the incredible covers of Peach Momoko from the best-selling Horizon Zero Dawn comic. Each cover is removable to display as a high-quality poster!

PEACH MOMOKO is a Japanese illustrator who began exhibiting at U.S. comic conventions back in 2014 and saw American publication with a couple of stories picked up by Grant Morrison when he was EIC of Heavy Metal Magazine. Since then, she has become the hottest cover art variant creator in the business, increasingly in demand, drawing over a dozen covers for American publishers every month.

HORROR COMICS #14

HYPER AWARE (ONE-SHOT)

Story: Jonathan Hedrick | Art/Cover: Debora Lancianese | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

After three astronauts are stranded in deep space, they learn that only two of them will be able to enter hypersleep for the long return home. One of the crew members makes the difficult decision to remain awake and live the rest of his life alone with only the spacecraft's onboard A.I. for company. But when the other two astronauts wake up, they discover something horrible has happened while they were unconscious!

IT TOOK LUKE HC

Story: Mark Bouchard | Art/Cover: Bayleigh Underwood | $19.99

"LA, 2028. Down-on-their-luck exterminator Sal Hernandez is sick of long hours and living in their work van. They're ready to quit their job and reconcile with their estranged partner. The only thing standing in their way is one last shift. But what seems like a routine call quickly gets out of hand when a proselytizing mass of flesh abducts Sal's newest coworker, Luke, and turns their extermination job into a rescue mission. Sal and their teammates, Molly and Hussam, are as experienced as they come, but will it be enough to overcome the horrific creature that waits in the shadows while simultaneously battling the incompetence of their boss?

Wipe the viscera from your eyes and prepare to assimilate into the flesh in this queer adult debut graphic novella exploring crunch culture and its casualties.

• Whenever I read a story where exterminators run across something deadly and unearthly — The Strain and The Exterminators spring to mind — I wonder why the exterminators remain involved after first contact. Why not call in the police or National Guard and go home and watch TV? Send in the pros, who have real weapons, not a gallon of Bug-B-Gon.

JOURNEY OF MARCEL GROB GN

Story: Philippe Collin | Art/Cover: Sebastien Goethals | Dead Reckoning | $27.95

In the dead of night, eighty-three-year-old Marcel Grob is sequestered by an investigating judge who questions him about his past. Particularly beginning on June 28, 1944, the day when "Marzell," like ten thousand of his German-speaking peers from the French borderland province of Alsace, became a member of the Nazis' infamous Waffen SS. But did the teenager volunteer, or was he conscripted by the Nazis? Was he a "Malgré-nous," one of those forced to comply, or was he a war criminal? To establish the truth of his troubled past, Marcel Grob will have to revisit painful memories as an adolescent forced to fight in Italy with the sinister Reichsführer division. Determined to prove his innocence, Marcel begins the story of a long journey into night.

• Uh oh. Are we the baddies?

JUDGE DREDD COMPLETE CASE FILES VOL 40 TP

JUDGE DREDD MEGAZINE #446

JUNGLE COMICS #8

KINGJIRA LEGENDARY EDITION

KLAW VOL 4: CYCLE REBORN HC

LUCKY LUKE VOL 81: HANGED MAN`S ROPE OTHER STORIES TP

MANGA Z #3

MATRIX COMICS 20TH ANNIVERSARY DELUXE EDITION HC NEW PTG

Story: Lana Wachowski, Lilly Wachowski, Neil Gaiman, Jim Krueger, Spencer Lamm | Art: Geof Darrow, Dave Gibbons, Ted McKeever, Bill Sienkiewicz, Michael Avon Oeming, Paul Chadwick, Troy Nixey, Tim Sale, Greg Ruth, David Lapham, John Van Fleet, Peter Bagge | Cover: Kaare Andrews | Burlyman Entertainment | $49.99

The full original run of comics, and a great deal more, in a single oversized deluxe hardcover edition. First released at the official Matrix website and written by top comic-book creators, including the Wachowskis themselves, this oversized volume has Everything from the bestselling The Matrix Comics Volumes One and Two, plus more, Stories by: Neil Gaiman, Dave Gibbons, Bill Sienkiewicz, Michael Oeming, Paul Chadwick, Jim Krueger, Tim Sale, and many others, creating stories in established Matrix canon. This includes the story Bits and Pieces of Information by the creators of The Matrix themselves, Lana and Lilly Wachowski, and illustrated by the films' concept artist, Geof Darrow!  Limited copies available.

• I'm not the target market for this, as I didn't bother with the last three Matrix movies. (Which may be a mistake; you tell me.) But if you're a Matrix fan who missed these books the first time, you've got a second chance!

MAYBE AN ARTIST GRAPHIC MEMOIR

Story/Art: Liz Montague | Random House Studio | $17.99

A heartfelt and funny graphic novel memoir from one of the first Black female cartoonists to be published in the New Yorker, when she was just 22 years old. When Liz Montague was a senior in college, she wrote to the New Yorker, asking them why they didn't publish more inclusive comics. The New Yorker wrote back asking if she could recommend any. She responded: yes, me. Those initial cartoons in the New Yorker led to this memoir of Liz's youth, from the age of five through collegeshe navigated life in her predominantly white New Jersey town, overcame severe dyslexia through art, and found the confidence to pursue her passion.

MINDSET #4

MS TREE DEADLINE GN

NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: REVENANCE #1

Story: S.A. Check, James Kuhoric | Art: Giancarlo Caracuzzo | Cover: Photo | American Mythology | $3.99

The Dead shall rise...again! The horror comic event of the year begins as we take fans back to the farmhouse that started it all! George Romero's macabre masterpiece shaped the cinematic landscape of horror for the last fifty years! Now, American Mythology has joined forces with Image Ten, the original production company for the film and official license holder, to bring fans a new dose of the dead with a comic series paying homage to the horror classic. Come along as we follow Johnny and Barbra to the graveyard that changed their lives forever! You thought you knew the story, but get ready for some surprises and unexpected twists along the way as the series explores the lost tales of how our group of wayward travelers, Tom, Judy, Ben, Barbra, Johnny and the Cooper family, came to find each other at the same fateful farmhouse on one dark and ghoul-filled night! It's timeless terror at its finest! This issue comes with four covers — Main Photo featuring a cel from the original NOTLD movie, Collage Cover by Corpse Crew — Buz Hasson & Ken Haeser, Classic cover by Richard Bonk, and a 350 copy limited edition Black & White homage cover!  

• This franchise won't stay dead! You'd think what Double Take Comics did to it would have buried any interest, but nope, it's back.

NINJA HIGH SCHOOL #183

ONWARD TOWARDS OUR NOBLE DEATHS GN (NEW PTG)

• I got a copy the last time it was printed. Recommended.

PEANUTS: SNOOPY CANNONBALL GN

PHANTASMAGORIA #2

PLANET COMICS #10

PLANET COMICS #9

POKEMON TRAINERS MINI ART ENCYCLOPEDIA

POP STAR ASSASSIN 2 #2

POSTMASTERS #1

Story: Garrett Gunn, Christina Blanch | Art/Cover: Ruben Mocho | Source POint Press | $5.99

In a Post-Pandemic America, one of the only things still remotely functioning is the mail. But with mass casualties to their ranks, the postal service has been forced to adapt to a consistently more aggressive set of routes with less and less carriers to service them. One of the last remaining Postmasters, 32, sets out to deliver a one-of-a-kind letter that's mysteriously appeared at the Western States Distribution Center. Rugged terrain, highway robbers, and The Wicked all stand between 32 and his destination. But he knows the motto.Neither rain, nor sleet, nor dark of night will stay the swift and timely  completion of his assigned route.

• Maybe if real postal carriers had swords, the USPS could defend itself from being systematically dismantled by its own postmaster.

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: THE BEYOND VOL 3 SOFTEE 

PRE-CODE CLASSICS VOODOO VOL 3 SLIPCASE EDITION

PROMETHEE 1313 #4

PS ARTBOOKS: PSYCHO MAGAZINE #2

STRANGE TERRORS #4 FACSIMILE EDITION

PS Facsimile comics continues with Strange Terrors from the pen of the legendary William Ekgren. All of these comics have been faithfully reproduced with all scans reworked to bring them back as close as possible to the dizzy days of the originals.

It has glossy covers and interiors printed on environmentally friendly matte carbon-based paper. In addition, an oversized A3 cover reproduction on card and ready to fram is included, with an embossed seal identifying the limited status of this imprint.

This issue covers Strange Terrors #4 (St. John, 1952).

REVENGE OF THE LIBRARIANS HC

Story/Art: Tom Gauld | Drawn & Quarterly | $24.95

Tom Gauld returns with his wittiest and most trenchant collection of literary cartoons to date. Perfectly composed drawings are punctuated with the artist's signature brand of humor, hitting high and low. After all, Gauld is just as comfortable taking jabs at Jane Eyre and Game of Thrones.

• I've never met a librarian I didn't enjoy talking to.

RUE MORGUE MAGAZINE #209

SACRAMENT #3

SAMURAI 2.0 #2 (OF 4)

SEA OF TIME #1 (OF 4)

Story/Art: T. Edward Bak | Floating World Comics | $7.00

This visionary tone poem explores the nature and indigenous ecological traditions that influenced imperial expedition naturalist G.W. Steller who, at the moment of his death in 1746, recalls his discoveries and travel throughout Siberia and the North Pacific.

SHERMAN'S LAGOON: LIKE A FISH NEEDS A BICYCLE TP

SOULSEARCHERS AND COMPANY OMNIBUS VOL 5 TP

• I enjoyed Soulsearchers when it was coming out, but not so much that I need collections.

STAR RUNNER: RISING STAR #1 (OF 4)

Story: James Watson | Art: Leo Cordeiro, Carlos Eduardo, Mohan Sivakami, Wilson Ramos | Cover: Nahuel Grego | Atlantis Studios | $5.95

A year has passed, and Aurora is increasingly confident in her new abilities. With the help of friends and the scientists of Vanguard, her parents' starship has been rebuilt. As the first test launch approaches, troubling visions of the future are making Aurora increasingly fearful about what awaits her in the stars.

• This is the first miniseries in the future third volume of the Star Runner Chronicles. The first two books were Dark Star and Fallen Star, each collecting three miniseries. (I think.) This series (and two more to come) will comprise Rising Star.
  • Here's a preview.

TANK GIRL: COLOR CLASSICS TRILOGY 1988-1995 BOX SET HC

TIGERS TONGUE #4

TRISKELE #5

TUFF STUFF (ONE-SHOT)

Story/Art:Kevin Delgado | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

Tuff Stuff is a washed out cretin who spends his days scouring the beach boardwalk for loose drugs. When a string of disasters causes his normal haunts to be destroyed he sets out on a quest for retribution. His goa ... TO SAVE SPRING BREAK!

For fans of cheesy '80s/'90s B-Action Movies ... and cats

UNPREPPED #3 (OF 5)

VICTOR CROWLEY'S HATCHET HALLOWEEN TALES IV #1

Story:  S.A. Check, James Kuhoric, Konstantine Paradias | Art: Ev Cantada, Puis Calzada, Horacio Domingues | Cover: Roy Allen Martinez | Mature | $4.99

It's baaaaack!  The annual Victor Crowley Halloween bloodbath is here!  And this year it is bigger, bolder, and bloodier than ever!  We start with our biggest announcement yet — this is a whopping cover-to-cover horror extravaganza!  No ads!  Just pure Hatchet Halloween horror from start to finish!  No other comics give you that much gore!  And by special demand — this year's stories will be introduced by the ghosts of victims past!  Who will you see?  Jack Cracker?  Ben?  Samson?  Reverend Zombie?  Maybe even Bob?  There's only one way to find out!  Ask your local comics retailer to reserve a copy of this year's Hatchet Halloween Tales and sit back with three brand new over-the-top stories of terror!  This issue comes with four covers — Main "Get Some" cover by the one and only Roy Allan Martinez, "Trick or Treat" cover by The Corpse Crew — Buz Hasson & Ken Haeser, "Storytime" cover by Jason Craig, and a special 350-copy limited edition Black & White virgin art cover!   

VUZZ HC

Story/Art:  Philippe Druillet | Titan | Mature | $29.95

The next incredible installment in the library of award-winning master comics creator Philippe Druillet!

Vuzz is warrior. A looter who has simple needs in life: to fight, to eat and to make love. Vuzz lives in a world where ruined cities are home to zombies, giant rabbits and salacious wizards.

• Vuzz may like to eat, but Vuzz has no mouth. No wonder Vuzz is so cranky.

WARCRAFT SHADOW WING VOL 2 DRAGONS OF OUTLAND GN

WEST #2

WHERE BLACK STARS RISE GN

Story: Nadia Shammas | Art: Marie Enger | Tor Nightfire | $19.99

Dr. Amal Robardin, a newly-licensed therapist who recently immigrated to Brooklyn from Beirut, is treating her first patient: Yasmin, who is schizophrenic. The two get off to a rocky start, and as Yasmin's night terrors increase and the looming figure at the foot of her bed creeps closer every night, Amal begins to worry that she's out of her depth. Convinced that what she is experiencing is not a delusion, Yasmin becomes obsessed with Robert Chambers' The King in Yellow. Messages she finds in the book lead Yasmin to flee her home, seeking answers she can't find in therapy. Distraught over Yasmim's sudden disappearance, Amal attempts to retrace her patient's last steps-and accidentally slips through dimensions, ending up in Carcosa, the King in Yellow's realm. Trapped and determined to find her way out, Amal enlists the help of a mysterious guide, but is he a friend ... or her tormentor?

OTHER

ALTER EGO #178

A TO Z OF BRITISH NEWSPAPER STRIPS HC

BATMOBILE HAYNES MANUAL HC

'BIG BANG THEORY' DEFINITIVE INSIDE STORY HC

BOLDLY GO: REFLECTIONS ON A LIFE OF AWE & WONDER HC

CHARLES M SCHULZ COMICS COMIC STRIPS CHARLIE BROWN SNOOPY

CINEMA SEWER GUIDE: HISTORY OF THE SICKEST & SEXIEST MOVIES VOL 8 SC

CLIVE BARKER’S DARK WORLD HC

DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE #579

DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE #580 

FRAZETTA BOOK COVER ART HC

JURASSIC WORLD: ULTIMATE VISUAL HISTORY HC

MARVEL UNTOLD NOVEL: PRISONER OF TARTARUS SC

MAVERIX & LUNATIX: ICONS OF UNDERGROUND COMIX HC

SCREAM MAGAZINE #73

STAR TREK: TREK THE HALLS HC

STAR WARS: MANDALORIAN GUIDE TO SEASON TWO VOL 1 HC

WALT DISNEY’S JUNGLE BOOK: MAKING OF A MASTERPIECE HC

MORE MANGA

AGGRETSUKO: OUT OF OFFICE TP

ANCIENT MAGUS BRIDE ALCHEMISTS BLUE VOL 5 GN

ANTI ROMANCE SPECIAL EDITION VOL 1 GN

CANDY & CIGARETTES VOL 1 GN

CANIS DEAR HATTER VOL 2 GN

CARDCAPTOR SAKURA CLEAR CARD VOL 12 GN

CHILDREN OF WHALES VOL 20 GN

DAUGHTER OF EMPEROR VOL 2 GN

DRIP DRIP GN

Story/Art: Paru Itagaki | Viz | Mature | $12.99

Whenever Mako Higari sees something dirty, whether real or symbolic, she gets a massive nosebleed. How can she find a loving partner and commit to a meaningful intimate relationship if just touching another person makes her bleed out? Her first challenge might be learning to love herself.

• OK, I'm gonna say it, that's just gross.

EVIL SECRET SOCIETY OF CATS VOL 1 GN

FRIEREN BEYOND JOURNEY'S END VOL 6 GN

HIDETAKA TENJIN'S ARTISTRY OF MACROSS VOL 1 HC

HIGEHIRO AFTER BEING REJECTED VOL 5 GN

HOW HEAVY ARE DUMBBELLS YOU LIFT VOL 9 GN

I GOT FIRED AS A COURT WIZARD VOL 1 GN

JK HARU IS SEX WORKER IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 4 GN

MISSION YOZAKURA FAMILY VOL 1 GN

MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM THUNDERBOLT VOL 18 GN

NANA & KAORU VOL 1 GN

PERSONA 5 VOL 9 GN

PTSD RADIO VOL 1 GN

RECORD RAGNAROK VOL 4 GN

SAINTS MAGIC POWER IS OMNIPOTENT OTHER SAINT VOL 1 GN

SHONEN NOTE BOY SOPRANO VOL 1 GN

SHOWA HISTORY OF JAPAN VOL 1 1926-1939 SHIGERU MIZUKI GN

SHOWA HISTORY OF JAPAN VOL 3 1944-1953 SHIGERU MIZUKI GN

SHOWA HISTORY OF JAPAN VOL 4 1953-1989 SHIGERU MIZUKI GN

• When I saw Vol. 2 last week, I thought I was missing out on this re-issue. But here are the other three, so I can still get the whole set. Yay!

SOUL EATER PERFECT EDITION VOL 8 HC

THAT TIME I REINCARNATED SLIME TRINITY VOL 6 GN

TUNNEL TO SUMMER EXIT OF GOODBYES ULTRAMARINE VOL 2 GN

TWIN STAR EXORCISTS ONMYOJI VOL 26 GN

UNDEAD UNLUCK VOL 9 GN

USOTOKI RHETORIC VOL 1 GN

YONA OF THE DAWN VOL 37 GN

MORE KIDS

ADVENTURES OF TEAM POM VOL 2: LAST DODO GN

ARDEN HIGH GN VOL 1 TWELFTH GRADE NIGHT)

BEAR WITH ME HC

BIPOLAR BEAR & TERRIBLE HORRIBLE NO-GOOD HEALTH INSURANCE GN

BOBO AND PUP-PUP YR GN FUNNY BOOK

CASAGRANDES GN VOL 04 FRIENDS & FAMILY

CATDAD & SUPERMOM WHAT MAKES A SUPERHERO

DRAGON KINGDOM OF WRENLY VOL 8: SHATTERED SHORE GN

FRIZZY GN

I CAN READ COMICS GN BABY SHARKS BIG SHOW BUNNY SLUG

KITTY SWEET TOOTH MAKES A MOVIE GN

LOUD HOUSE 3-IN-1 BOXED SET

MILES MORALES: STRANGER TIDES GN

MONSTER FUN BACK TO SCHOOL SPECIAL

NUMB TO THIS MEMOIR OF MASS SHOOTING GN

PRUNELLA & CURSED SKULL RING GN

SISTERS 3-IN-1 GN VOL 1

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "I don't know why witches have historically gotten such a bad rap."

Feel free to blame a little book called The Bible (Exodus 22:18).

"BLACK PANTHER: THE EARLY MARVEL YEARS OMNIBUS HC VOL 1 HC"

Hmm... I don't remember seeing this solicited. I led a discussion of these issues on the old board using my original issues, but it sure would be nice to have all these in one place between two convenient covers.

"I've waited this long for a hardback omnibus of Moore and Gaiman's Miracleman."

A hardcover omnibus of Moore's Miracleman was solicited for September 14. I read online somewhere that it's expected to ship October 26. I wouldn't expect an omnibus of Gaiman's Miracleman until "The Silver Age" has been completed, then I hope to see a collection of "The Golden Age" and "The Silver Age" combined. In the meantime, I already have a tpb of "The Golden Age" (and all the originals as well).

• Feel free to blame a little book called The Bible (Exodus 22:18).

It's a mistranslation. According to Brother Maynard, in the original Aramaic it was "suffer not a snitch to live."

I hope to see a collection of "The Golden Age" and "The Silver Age" combined.

That is what I'm waiting for. I've already read all the original comics, so really I'm not missing anything so far and am just waiting until Silver Age is completed and becomes part of a larger package.

Now watch: They'll do a Bronze Age and postpone my imagined omnibus further into the future!

• Incidentally, is Montoya no longer The Question? I'd be pleased for that to be the case; I like her better as her unique self rather than as a hand-me-down, generic superhero. (If you must make her a superhero, give her a unique identity — Badass Girl or something, first of her name.) Besides, first-gen Question was starting to get interesting, when they played him like Jeffrey Combs did on Justice League Unlimited.

I guess Montoya has the distinction of being the first modern character (AFAIK) to be revealed as gay. I didn't have a problem with that, just the way they did it. In Gotham Central, after always being pictured in skirts, she was suddenly sporting motorcycle boots and an attitude. This is shorthand for the kiddies, like tough comic characters always smoke cigars.

I'm not a huge Scooby-Doo fan, but it annoys me that Velma was reimagined as gay because she wore glasses and sweaters instead of miniskirts. My wife favored jeans and wore glasses and she definitely was not gay.

I fondly remember reading the Tim Drake Robin in the 90s. He wasn't an orphan and didn't live with Bruce Wayne, which caused interesting added complications for his Robin identity. I guess somebody decided he was gay because instead of putting the make on Spoiler he helped her deal with her date-rape pregnancy.

• After WandaVision, I figured they'd have to find a way to youthanize Agatha to look more like Kathryn Hahn.

Was WandaVision really the first time Agatha wasn't depicted as old, or was it in the comics?

• FLESH-EATING CHEERLEADERS FROM OUTER SPACE #1

Whoever actually owns this needs a good agent to sell the movie rights.

• MAYBE AN ARTIST GRAPHIC MEMOIR

10843397276?profile=RESIZE_710x

One of many homages to this:

10843397865?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I always kind of liked Montoya as the Question, but it occurs to me that I never read many stories of her before she was the Queston.  Maybe I'd feel diferently if I had.

• WONDER WOMAN BY GEORGE PEREZ OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC (NEW PTG)

If you haven't read these stories and you're a superhero comics fans, you really should.

I'll disagree with you here, Cap. I read these last year (or maybe the year before), and I found these stories a slog to get through. But that is something I see quite often with artists turned writer.

BLACK PANTHER BY TA-NEHISI COATES OMNIBUS HC
    • I haven't read this series, specifically waiting for an omnnibus. And lo, it arrives.

I read 2 trades worth of these, and it felt like it didn't go anywhere. I say this, comparing all subsequent series to Christopher Priest's series.

I'm not the target market for this, as I didn't bother with the last three Matrix movies. (Which may be a mistake; you tell me.) But if you're a Matrix fan who missed these books the first time, you've got a second chance!

What I've said, is that there have been 4 Matrix movies, and one of them was good.

SHOWA HISTORY OF JAPAN VOL 1 1926-1939 SHIGERU MIZUKI GN SHOWA HISTORY OF JAPAN VOL 3 1944-1953 SHIGERU MIZUKI GN SHOWA HISTORY OF JAPAN VOL 4 1953-1989 SHIGERU MIZUKI GN When I saw Vol. 2 last week, I thought I was missing out on this re-issue. But here are the other three, so I can still get the whole set. Yay!

I always wondered how many of these were made. I reckon I am just missing 3 & 4 then.

Finally, I always felt that making Montoya was kind of forced and didn't feel right. I think it is because she had carved out her own identity in the DC Universe, and I really liked that.

• "I've waited this long for a hardback omnibus of Moore and Gaiman's Miracleman. I can wait a little longer."

I've waited 30 years. That's long enough.

• I'll disagree with you here, Cap. I read these last year (or maybe the year before), and I found these stories a slog to get through. But that is something I see quite often with artists turned writer.

There's nothing to disagree about, Travis. I think the stories are important. I never said they were good. And when they came out, NO Wonder Woman stories had EVER been good, from my perspective (and my Wonder Woman collection at the time went back to 1963). But at least these bad stories jettisoned the incomprehensible, contradictory drek that came before, and established a coherent foundation for Wonder Woman for the future.

I've waited 30 years. That's long enough.

Next week comes the Alan Moore Omnibus. (Not called that, of course.) Your wait is over.

Finally, I always felt that making Montoya (gay) was kind of forced and didn't feel right. I think it is because she had carved out her own identity in the DC Universe, and I really liked that.

You and I got used to Montoya as a singular, interesting character for years, if not decades ... and then all of a sudden she was The Question, the past was erased, and the character we came to know and love ceased to be. Surprise! We didn't like it!

Then Bob said this:

I always kind of liked Montoya as the Question, but it occurs to me that I never read many stories of her before she was the Queston. Maybe I'd feel diferently if I had.

Like with most things, it's a matter of perspective. When and where you started reading forms your opinion.

I guess Montoya has the distinction of being the first modern character (AFAIK) to be revealed as gay.

I don't think so; several other characters spring to mind.

But she might be the first character we didn't KNOW was gay who came out of the closet/was outed (2002 or so in Gotham Central). Even there I'm uncertain of my footing, and I'd welcome clarity from the Legion.

As to other characters who preceded her as gay, I'd say Extrano (New Guardians, DC Comics, 1988), Northstar (Alpha Flight, Marvel Comics, implied to be gay for years, stated to be gay in 1992), and Midnighter/Apollo (Image Comics, 1998) for starters. Again, probably others not leaping to mind.

I'm not a huge Scooby-Doo fan, but it annoys me that Velma was reimagined as gay because she wore glasses and sweaters instead of miniskirts. My wife favored jeans and wore glasses and she definitely was not gay.

Agreed.

First, the stereotype. You're right, Richard: Not cool.

Second. I always thought of Velma as gay (but not attracted to Penny) in some part of my brain, going back to when I first saw the show, in 1969, when I was pre-pubescent. But I have always preferred the guesswork, rather than the statement. It's more fun without knowing.

BTW, this image came out years ago, and I thought it was cool as hell:

10847609484?profile=RESIZE_710xIs that Velma gay? Almost certainly. But that Velma and that Scooby represent a show I would watch.

I always wondered how many of these were made. I reckon I am just missing 3 & 4 then.

I just ordered all four. Can you start a thread about the first two? I want to talk about this.

Whoever actually owns this needs a good agent to sell the movie rights.

These days, I assume the kids writing comics are angling for movies/TV, and if it's just a comic book first, they'll take it, and then continue to angle for movies/TV.

I fondly remember reading the Tim Drake Robin in the 90s. He wasn't an orphan and didn't live with Bruce Wayne, which caused interesting added complications for his Robin identity. I guess somebody decided he was gay because instead of putting the make on Spoiler he helped her deal with her date-rape pregnancy.

God, I hope not.

What I remember is that it was acknowledged that they had sex (at least once), but he tried to be a good guy about it when she got pregnant and it wasn't his. I never thought of Tim as gay for his actions vis-a-vis Stephanie, just young (16!) and trying to do the right thing. Anybody else have any memories of this? I am not going to re-read mediocre 20-year-old comics for this discussion.

Was WandaVision really the first time Agatha wasn't depicted as old, or was it in the comics?

She was introduced as old, and died as old, and then came back as a ghost to mentor Scarlet Witch as old, and then I stopped reading Marvel on a regular basis (2010). If anybody else knows better, feel free to chime in.

This reply was deleted.