Comics Guide: Oct. 24-30, 2022

BOOM! STUDIOS

DAMN THEM ALL #1

Story: Simon Spurrier | Art/Cover: Charlie Adlard | Mature | $3.99

In this new dark supernatural thriller for fans of We Have Demons and Something is Killing the Children, meet Ellie "Bloody El" Hawthorne: occultist for hire.

Following the death of Ellie's uncle, an infamous magician and occult detective, the 72 devils of the Ars Goetia are mysteriously freed from their infernal realm.

It's now up to Ellie to track down each of these exiled demons and damn them right back to Hell by any means necessary: holy water, conjuration or just her trusty, rusty claw hammer.

Legendary The Walking Dead artist Charlie Adlard teams up with Step by Bloody Step scribe Simon Spurrier to introduce your favorite new occult antihero since John Constantine!

GO GO POWER RANGERS DELUXE EDITION BOOK 1 HC

HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #10

MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS #101

POWER RANGERS UNIVERSE HC

STUFF OF NIGHTMARES #2 (OF 4)

VAMPIRE SLAYER (BUFFY) #7

WE ONLY FIND THEM WHEN THEY'RE DEAD #14

DARK HORSE COMICS

CRIMINAL MACABRE/COUNT CROWLEY: FROM THE PIT THEY CAME #1 ONE-SHOT

Horror luminaries Steve Niles (Criminal Macabre) and David Dastmalchian (Count Crowley, writer; The Suicide Squad, actor) are teaming up to write the Criminal Macabre/Count Crowley: From The Pit They Came one-shot! Count Crowley artist Lukas Ketner and colorist Lauren Affe return to provide art for the not-to-miss horror event of the season!     

What could be more dicey than a monster hunter with a self-destructive streak? TWO monster hunters with self-destructive streaks! Plop them both into the weirdly wonderful world of fan conventions as they seek to capture a rampaging creature from deep beneath the earth, and the good times will really get rolling!

Storied creature catcher Cal McDonald joins forces (kind of) with novice beast buster Jerri Bartman in the Criminal Macabre/Count Crowley: From The Pit They Came!

"Working with David and Lukas has been a thrill and way too much fun,” said Steve Niles. “Everything came together so smoothly by the time we were finished I wanted to keep going. I hope people enjoy the crossover half as much as I enjoyed working on it."

"I remember discovering Criminal Macabre in Graham Crackers comics in Chicago and immediately knowing I'd found a new favorite title,” added David Dastmalchian on the collaboration. “Steve Niles has inspired and entertained me for many years and the chance to collaborate with him on a story that unites our flawed heroes has been a highlight in my writing journey."

Praise for Criminal Macabre and Count Crowley:

The Big Bleed Out is a great new addition to the Cal McDonald legacy. It pays homage to great characters of the old noir days like Humphrey Bogart while telling a fresh new tale.” — AIPT

Criminal Macabre: The Big Bleed Out is a classic horror noir tale on the mean streets of LA executed to perfection.” — The Brazen Bull

“In Count Crowley, Dastmalchian and Ketner have created something comfortingly familiar and fun that simultaneously thrills and rewards the reader with also being something completely new! The deeper Jerri finds herself mired in mysteries of the macabre, the harder it is to wait for the next chapter! A great, ghoulish addition to the Dark Horse library!” — Kevin Smith

Count Crowley is equal parts homage, heart, sadness and scares.” — Comicbook.com

• I read the first County Crowley miniseries and liked it. I know zip about Cal McDonald.
  • Here's a preview.

DEAD MALL #1 (OF 4)

Story: Adam Cesare | Art: David Stoll | Letters: Justin Burch | $3.99

The Penn Mills Galleria is about to be demolished. Five teens sneak into the mall to take a last look around before it’s gone. However, while Penn Mills has been closed for years, the mall is far from abandoned. A night of exploration becomes a shopping spree from hell. The teens must contend with the sprawling, transformative horror of Penn Mills or be trapped forever within the Dead Mall.

“The first comics I remember buying as a kid, during my first trips to the comic shop with my dad, were issues of Dark Horse Presents,” writer Adam Cesare said. “It's surreal, 30ish years later, to be talking about Dead Mall. I wanted to tell a story that readers of my books would enjoy, but also something that couldn't be done — or couldn't be done best — in prose. A supernatural, monster-filled, body-horror-tinged combination of Chopping Mall and The Ruins, where the mall itself is narrating the story? That sounded like a lot! Something that could only be achieved in the collaborative medium of comics. And what a collaborator to have in David Stoll, whose art is immaculate and storytelling sense is unimpeachable. Then there's Justin Birch and the rest of the team at Dark Horse, a dream to be working with them. We're just so excited for readers to enter Penn Mills Galleria.”

“When Dark Horse came to me with a project featuring Adam Cesare I was already on pins and needles,” artist David Stoll said. “Clown in a Cornfield was such a phenomenal book and I was excited to see what he could do with comics. After getting to play in his universe and pull all of the worst dark, toothy, slimy things we could conjure together onto the page, I can tell you that no one is going to be disappointed by what we've done. If you're a fan of Frendo, you're going to absolutely devour the delicious horror we're packing into this mall, and if you're not a fan yet it's time to strap in. We've got some things to show you."

Praise for Clown in a Cornfield:

“An author who knows how to make us afraid." — Clive Barker

“The immersive atmosphere, nail-biting action sequences, and satisfying social commentary results in a thoughtful, campy and just-plain-fun read for horror fans, especially those who crave a retro feel but still want a story set firmly in the present.” — Library Journal (Starred Review)

“[Adam] Cesare proves he’s got a deft touch when chronicling not just the gory details, but also in crafting colorful characters and a fast-paced enjoyable story.” — Dread Central

“A pulse-pounding thrill ride for retro-horror fans who are not faint of heart (or stomach).” — Kirkus

• We have do something with all those abandoned malls, don't we?
  • Here's a preview.

PEARL III #6 (OF 6)

PSYCHO PASS INSPECTOR SHINYA KOGAMI VOL 5 TP

THE ROADIE #2

WORLD OF BLACK HAMMER LIBRARY ED HC VOL 04

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1048

AMERICAN VAMPIRE 1976 TP

BATMAN: BEYOND THE WHITE KNIGHT #6 (OF 6)

BATMAN: FORTRESS #6 (OF 8)

BATMAN: GOTHAM KNIGHTS — GILDED CITY #1 (OF 6)

Story: Evan Cagle | Art: Abel | Cover: Greg Capullo, Jonathan Glapion | $4.99

A mysterious virus has infected Gotham City — turning its victims into rabid, yellow-irised maniacs driven to looting, theft and bursts of anger. Batman and his Gotham Knights struggle to keep this strange virus contained while investigating its origins. But this is not the first time this unusual illness has overtaken the city. Take a trip to Gotham in the mid-1800s and meet the city's first masked vigilante — the mysterious hero known only as the Runaway — as they, too, find themselves mired in the mystery of this infection! This thrilling and horrific tale, split between modern-day Gotham and the Gotham of 1847, leads directly into the upcoming video game Gotham Knights! Each issue will also offer a code for readers to redeem in the Gotham Knights game for an exclusive item. For issue 1, readers will receive a code for an exclusive skin variant for the Batcycle! Readers who redeem the codes for all 6 issues will receive a special 7th item! This title will be a full copy return.

• Evidently Gotham has sucked during its entire existence.

BATMAN: THE AUDIO ADVENTURES #2 (OF 7)

CATWOMAN: LONELY CITY #4 (OF 4)

DC HORROR PRESENTS: SGT ROCK VS. THE ARMY OF THE DEAD #2 (OF 6)

DC MECH #4 (OF 6)

DC VS. VAMPIRES #10 (OF 12)

DEATHSTROKE INC. #14

DETECTIVE COMICS #1065

HARLEY QUINN #23

THE HUMAN TARGET #8 (OF 12)

THE JOKER VOL 1 TP

JUSTICE LEAGUE INCARNATE HC

PUNCHLINE: THE GOTHAM GAME #1 (OF 6)

Story: Tini Howard, Blake Howard | Art/Cover: Gleb Melnikov | $3.99

Punchline is out of jail and back on the streets of Gotham City. She's not coming back for some of what Gotham has to offer, she's coming back for all of it. She wants to be the queen of crime, and with the help of her Royal Flush Gang no one will stand in her way. But Punchline created a lot of angry enemies in Gotham before she was incarcerated, and they all want payback. Presenting a miniseries that will redefine the criminal landscape of Gotham City from the superstar creative team of Tini Howard (Catwoman, Knights of X), Blake Howard (Batman: Urban Legends), and Gleb Melnikov (Robin, Wonder Woman)!

• I get why Punchline was created (to fill the Harley Quinn niche when Quinzel face turned) but I find absolutely nothing about her interesting. What am I missing?

RIDDLER: YEAR ONE #1 (OF 6)

Story: Paul Dano | Art: Stevan Subic | Cover: Bill Sienkiewicz | $4.99

As depicted in Matt Reeves’s hit movie The Batman, the Riddler wasn't simply an amusing eccentric with an affinity for wordplay and baffling clues, but as terrifying a villain as any in the annals of the Dark Knight. Here you can see Edward Nashton evolve into the menace known as the Riddler. How did an unknown forensic accountant uncover the dark secrets of Gotham's underworld and come so close to bringing down the entire city? This six-issue miniseries is an immediate prequel to The Batman — the detailed, disturbing, and at times shocking story of a man with nothing to lose. Artist Stevan Subic makes his American comics debut, including a variant cover that is the first of six interlocking covers. This collaboration with Dano delivers a shadowy and gritty tale of a society's forgotten man who refuses to go unnoticed any longer. Subic's recent Conan the Cimmerian for French publisher Glenat has brought him great acclaim in Europe, and he's about to break out globally with a Batman series unlike any you've seen before.

• I found The Riddler's original conception to be eye-rolllingly stupid, as were many villains in Batman's late '40s and 1950s rogue's gallery. They upgraded The Joker in the '70s into a psycopathic mass murderer, and The Penguin into a ruthless gangster boss not long after. Catwoman got more morally gray (and more sexy), and Two-Face more tragic (and more lethal). But poor ol' Riddler stayed ridiculous. Finally, his turn has come for a major upgrade. Thank you, The Batman.
  • Here's a trailer.

TIM DRAKE: ROBIN #2

YOUNG JUSTICE: TARGETS #4 (OF 6)

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

AOD VS. REANIMATOR: NECRONOMICON RISING #4

• Yep, an homage to Amazing Spider-Man #129, with Ash williams as The Punisher and The Reanimator (?) instead of Spider-Man.

SAMURAI SONJA #5

IDW PUBLISHING

GODZILLA: BEST OF MOTHRA ONE-SHOT

RICK AND MORTY VS. DUNGEONS & DRAGONS COMPLETE ADVENTURES TP

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #54

STAR TREK #1

Story: Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing | Art/Cover: Ramon Rosanas | $4.99

IDW is proud to announce a bold new direction in Star Trek comics, beginning with a brand-new flagship ongoing series that goes where no one has gone before! Debuting in October 2022, Star Trek #1 features art by Ramon Rosanas (Marvel’s Star Wars, Ant-Man), and scripts by Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing, the creative team behind Star Trek: Year Five.

Star Trek #1 weaves an epic and unprecedented adventure story that spans the far reaches of the Star Trek multiverse, bringing together characters from across the galaxy—and all eras and variations of the beloved franchise—who must band together to prevent the mysterious murder of the gods.

Its stardate 2378, and Benjamin Sisko has finally returned from the Bajoran Wormhole omnipotent. But his godhood is failing with every minute. Sent by the Prophets on a mission to the deepest parts of space aboard the U.S.S. Theseus, he witnesses the unthinkable: Someone is killing the gods. And only Sisko and his motley crew of Starfleet members from every era of Trek can stop them.

“As a child, I watched reruns of the classic Star Trek series endlessly–until Next Generation, Voyager, and Deep Space Nine came along!” Rosanas enthuses. “After that, I didn’t miss a single episode of those three series’ each week. Gene Roddenberry is History with a capital H and his legacy is unstoppable. Having an opportunity to bring my passion and creativity to this franchise is incredibly exciting for me.”

“Benjamin Sisko is back!” Lanzing says. “We’re immeasurably thrilled to launch a new starship with a crew of new and familiar faces heading on a mission that will truly go where no one has gone before—an Avengers-style ongoing crossover that treats Gene Roddenberry’s creation as a living universe. This is a book where anyone can show up and where anything is possible.”

“Dreams of an optimistic, utopian future of cooperation and equality are more important now than ever,” says Kelly. “We’re both excited to continue the stories that have meant so much to us in the past and to welcome new readers to Starfleet. This is a grand adventure, one that weaves together elements from every Star Trek series to tell a new, vital, and forward-thinking sci-fi saga.”

“Star Trek has always been about telling stories of a better future,” says editor Heather Antos, “of hope for humanity. Something this world needs now more than ever before. And what Jackson, Collin, and Ramon are doing with this series is bigger. Bigger and bolder than any Star Trek series has gone before.”

Star Trek #1 will be available in October with eight variant covers for fans and retailers to enjoy, including Cover A by series artist Ramon Rosanas, Cover B by Declan Shalvey, Cover C by David Aja (TBC), Cover D by Rachael Stott, and a sketch Cover E, as well as three additional retailer incentive covers by Rosanas and Francesco Francavilla. Fans will also be delighted to read a Star Trek #1 prelude story from Rosanas, Kelly, and Lanzing in September’s highly-anticipated Star Trek #400, a monumental anthology issue!

STEVE CANYON VOL 12 HC

TMNT: ARMAGEDDON GAME #2

IMAGE COMICS

20TH CENTURY MEN #3

AMERICAN JESUS: REVELATION #1 (OF 3)

Story: Mark Millar | Art: Peter Gross, Tom Coker | Cover: Jodie Muir | $3.99

The third and final volume of the MILLAR & GROSS Antichrist trilogy is finally here-and coming soon as a live-action horror series from Netflix!

The apocalypse is upon us: Satan is in the White House, and the returned Christ is all that stands between humanity and their enslavement in the New World Order.

CREEPSHOW #1 (OF 5) 2ND PTG

Skybound announced today that Creepshow #1, the debut issue of the five-issue comic book anthology, sold out the same day it hit comic shops. It will return with a second printing just in time for Halloween. 

"There's clearly an insatiable appetite for the unique thrills and chills that Creepshow has to offer, and we’re just getting started!” said Alex Antone, Editorial Director at Skybound. “Look for even bigger scares in our second issue next month, and in the meantime, we hope you enjoy this second printing cover by the indomitable Gabriel Hardman!”  

"Filled with heart-pounding tales and impressively poignant messages, this debut issue will make your blood rush." — ComicBook.com

"Creepshow #1 makes a strong case for it being a worthy successor to the original movie, the recent Shudder series, and the King and Wrightson graphic novel adaptation." — Horror DNA

CREEPSHOW #2 (OF 5)

Story: Chris Burnham, Paul Dini, Steve Langford | Art: John McCrea | Covers: Chris Burnham, Sebastian Fiumara, Vance Kelly | $3.99

Today Skybound announced the first-class creative teams and stories behind Creepshow #2, the upcoming issue of the hugely anticipated five-issue comic book anthology based on Greg Nicotero’s hit Shudder TV series produced by Cartel Entertainment, which is also acting as the studio for the TV series.

In the spirit of all iterations of Creepshow in pop culture, each issue of the Creepshow comic anthology series comes packed with two spine-chilling stories. 

David Lapham and Maria Lapham (Stray Bullets) kick off the issue with the terrifying tale of a tree whose roots grew so deep they reached Hell ... and the girl who sat beneath it. 

“We were sitting in the shade of this wonderful old tree at a friend’s house, and we started wondering too much about that tree and very bad things happening,” said David and Maria Lapham. “When we got the opportunity to write and draw a Creepshow story, the tree was there waiting.” 

Then, writer Steve Foxe (Razorblades: The Horror Magazine) joins forces with artist Erica Henderson (Assassin Nation, Dracula, Motherf**ker) to share the shocking story of legendary comic creator Sal Medina — and the dedicated fan who went too far.  

"Creepshow left an imprint on me waaaaay back when I was a kid terrified (but always tempted) by the horror aisle in the local VHS rental spot,” said Steve Foxe. “Getting the opportunity to contribute to this anthology, especially alongside someone as talented and delightfully demented as Erica, is a huge honor, and I could think of no subject more suitably unsettling than ... pop-culture fandom. Anyone who’s waded into the putrid waters of social media knows that some ‘fans’ take things a little too far. Erica, The Creep, and I are going to show everyone what happens when just such a super-fan crosses a line — and a creator decides to fight back.” 

"As a lifetime horror fan, being part of Creepshow is an honor,” said Erica Henderson. “I hope you all enjoy delving into the deep recesses of obsession and malaise with me and Steve. We’ll be waiting for you — after all, misery loves company.”

FIRE POWER BY KIRKMAN & SAMNEE #24 

Story: Robert Kirkman | Art: Chris Samnee | Covers: Chris Samnee, Francis Manapu, David Finch & Dave McCaig, Kim Jung Gi & Pyeongjun Park | $3.99

Today Skybound revealed a first look at Fire Power by Kirkman & Samnee #24, the conclusion to the high-octane story arc centered around a dragon of monumental proportions, from the iconic team of writer Robert Kirkman, artist Chris Samnee, colorist Matthew Wilson and letterer Rus Wooton. 

Owen Johnson has fought to save the world, but will the fire power be strong enough?

“Fire Power #23 is pure action ... Samnee has long been an impressive artist, but this series is providing him with new life and opportunities to cut loose. It’s great.” — Inside Pulse

FLAWED #2

IMAGE 30TH ANNIVERSARY ANTHOLOGY #7 (OF 12)

KILLADELPHIA VOL 4: END OF ALL TP

LOVESICK #1 (OF 7)

Story/Art: Luana Vecchio  | $3.99

Rising star Bolero artist Luana Vecchio will bring to life a twisted new erotica series in the upcoming Lovesick. This contemporary, neon Horror miniseries is set to launch from Image Comics in October.

In this dark sexploitation series readers meet dominatrix Domino and bear witness to her carnal pleasures … and punishments …

“The idea for this story came to me when I stumbled onto a shock site for the first time, and realized that sadly, reality is more disturbing than I had thought," said Vecchio. "But beyond mere violence and gore, Lovesick is a deep journey into human loneliness.”

This new series is a disturbing exploration of snuff movies, dark web, and the seedy underbelly of humanity and is perfect for fans of Black Mirror, Cam and The Neon Demon.

• Not really my jam.
  • Here's a preview.

MAGIC ORDER 3 #4

RIGHTEOUS THIRST FOR VENGEANCE VOL 2 TP

ROGUES GALLERY #4

SINS OF BLACK FLAMINGO #5 (OF 5)

SPAWN ORIGINS VOL 23 TP

SPAWN SCORCHED #11

VANISH #2

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #12

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #6 (OF 6)

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Valerio Schiti | Cover: Mark Brooks | Teen+ | $5.99

The apocalyptic finale of the event of the year. It's not that nothing will be the same again — it's that unless heroes can find a new way to be heroes, everything will be nothing forever.

• According to Bleeding Cool, one impact of this event will be changing Krakoa's resurrection protocols somehow.

DEADPOOL EPIC COLLECTION: MISSION IMPROBABLE TP

FANTASTIC FOUR BY BYRNE OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

GHOST RIDER VOL 1: UNCHAINED TP

HELLIONS BY ZEB WELLS HC

IRON CAT #5 (OF 5)

MARVEL VOICES: HERITAGE TP

MECH STRIKE: MONSTER HUNTERS #5 (OF 5)

MIRACLEMAN OMNIBUS HC

Story: Mick Anglo, Various | Art: Garry Leach, Various | Covers: Alan Davis, Kevin Nowlan | $100.00

KIMOTA! In honor of the 40th anniversary of Miracleman’s groundbreaking reinvention, Marvel is proud to announce the brand-new MIRACLEMAN OMNIBUS. This extraordinary collection will house the influential work on the character from all of its legendary creators such as Alan Davis, Garry Leach, John Totleben, and more. Fans and comic book history aficionados will finally get a chance to uncover Miracleman’s origins, his incredible feats and the everyday struggles of his alter ego, freelance reporter Michael Moran, who must reconcile his life as the lesser half of a god in glorious Omnibus format. Considered one of the medium’s greatest masterpieces, Miracleman’s adventures launched a new wave of comic book storytelling and its extraordinary impact on the super hero genre is still felt to this day.

Middle-aged reporter Michael Moran always knew he was meant for something more. When an unexpected series of events leads him to reclaim his destiny, Miracleman is reborn. But Miracleman’s return threatens unravel Moran’s life. Their connections to Dr. Emil Gargunza and Project Zarathustra bring with them disturbing revelations and trigger the return of a childhood friend who, beneath his sinister smile, has become something terrifying. Pushing the concept of the super hero to its logical conclusion, MIRACLEMAN is nothing short of a revelation.

This first-ever Omnibus edition, complete with a massive trove of covers, original artwork and rare features, will include: material from Warrior (1982) #1-18, 20-21; Miracleman (1985) #1, 3, 6-16; Marvelman Special (1984) #1; material from A1 (1989) #1; All-New Miracleman Annual (2014) #1.

Check out two of the direct market exclusive covers featuring artwork by Miracleman artist Garry Leach as well as artist Kevin Nowlan. Stay tuned for the reveal of the all-new main cover by comics great Alan Davis and experience the series that transformed the super hero and stands as one of the most influential works in the comic book art form in an all-new format when the MIRACLEMAN OMNIBUS arrives in September 2022.

• This is essentially the Miracleman by Alan More Omnibus, which I'm sure they'd call it if they could. (Moore's stipulation that his name can't be used is still in effect.)
  • The reason it skips over Warrior #19 is that the Miracleman strip didn't appear in that issue; he was replaced by the debut of "V for Vendetta." It skips Miracleman #2, 4 and 5 because those issues were reprints from Warrior (although I hope the omnibus includes the covers). Miracleman continued beyond issue #16, but Miracleman #17-26 were written by Neil Gaiman, stories which I assume will lead Miracleman Omnibus Vol. 2.

MMW INCREDIBLE HULK VOL 16 HC

MOON KNIGHT ANNUAL #1

Story: Jed Mackay | Art: Federico Sabbatini | Cover: Rod Reis | Teen+ | $4.99

Marc Spector is currently baring his very soul as he tackles his most hard-hitting missions to date in writer Jed MacKay’s current run on MOON KNIGHT. With new villains and fresh takes on the Moon Knight mythology, the title has been a hit with fans, and this October, readers will be treated to even more revolutionary Moon Knight action in the run’s first annual. A double-sized spectacular, MOON KNIGHT ANNUAL #1 will feature art by Federico Sabbatini, the artist behind select issues of MOON KNIGHT as well as the recent DEVIL’S REIGN: MOON KNIGHT one-shot. The story will feature a bloody reunion between Moon Knight and an iconic Marvel Comics character whom he shares deep roots with — Jack Russell, the Werewolf by Night!

In the Darkhold, there is a prophecy of how a god might die. Jack Russell, more familiar with that cursed tome than most, would like very much to kill a god and save his people, the people bound in servitude to the moon. But to fulfill that prophecy requires the blood of the Fist of Khonshu, and Moon Knight doesn’t bleed easily.

"It's been great seeing people respond to our MOON KNIGHT series, and it's always a bit of a thrill to give folks even more- and MOON KNIGHT ANNUAL #1 was the place to revisit some old history,” MacKay explained. “Moon Knight has changed a lot since he first did battle with the Werewolf by Night, but so has Jack Russell, and having the opportunity to see how these two interact now, all these years later, has been a lot of fun. And Jack isn't the only player in Moon Knight's history who is turning up when Federico Sabbatini joins us for another adventure (and draws the hell out of it, I must add)."

• A Moon Knight/Werewolf by Night reunion! I'm sure they have a lot to discuss.

NEW MUTANTS #31

Story: Charlie Jane Anders | Art: Alberto Alburquerque, Ro Stein & Ted Brandt | Cover: Rafael De Latorre | Teen+ | $3.99

Last month, Escapade made her grand debut in MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE #1 and captivated Marvel fans with her fascinating power set, uplifting backstory, and delightful supporting cast. And this bright new mutant hero’s journey is only just beginning! As promised, Escapade’s saga will continue this October in NEW MUTANTS #31!

Hugo and Nebula Award-winning author Charlie Jane Anders returns to Escapade’s story in a three-issue guest arc of NEW MUTANTS alongside Alberto Alburquerque. The arc will also feature comic strips drawn by Escapade’s co-creators, cartoonists Ro Stein & Ted Brandt! Further incorporating Escapade into the world of the X-Men, Escapade will join the New Mutants to learn to control her one-of-a-kind “swap” abilities so she can prevent Destiny’s deadly prophecy from coming true…

Personally recruited by Emma Frost herself, Shela Sexton reluctantly joins her fellow mutants on Krakoa in the hope that the X-Men can prevent the death of her best friend. But is Emma telling her the whole truth? Can Shela adjust to life on the island? Will the New Mutants accept her? Or is this crash course in Krakoan headed for a deadly pileup?

"I have been such a fan of everything Vita Ayala, Rod Reis et al. have been doing in NEW MUTANTS, so it was a total thrill to bring Escapade, Morgan and Hibbert into their world,” Anders said. “The characters we introduced in MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE #1 took on a whole new life when they were hanging around with the New Mutants and the Lost Club, and I've been having unconscionable amounts of fun. And as a huge admirer of Alberto Alburquerque's work on No One's Rose and other comics, I was psyched to hear that he'd be bringing this tale to life. It's going to be a wild ride!"

• I stopped buying the X-books when "Judgment Day" arrived, since all the books were involved and I am omnibus-waiting. So I don't know why Marvel thinks this issue of New Mutants is worth a press release.

STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS VOL 4: CRIMSON REIGN TP

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #25

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA VOL 4: CRIMSON REIGN TP

STRANGE #7

STRANGE ACADEMY: FINALS #1

Story: Skottie Young | Art/Cover: Humberto Ramos | Teen+ | $3.99

Skottie Young and Humberto Ramos will continue the spellbinding adventures of the students at Doctor Strange’s school for the mystic arts in STRANGE ACADEMY: FINALS #1.

Throughout their original run, the two powerhouse creators revitalized the mystical side of the Marvel Universe with the introduction of new captivating characters like Emily Bright, Doyle Dormammu and Zoe Laveau. A hit with new readers and longtime Marvel fans, STRANGE ACADEMY quickly became one of the hottest Marvel titles on the shelves, and the best is yet to come!

Earlier this month, STRANGE ACADEMY #18 ended the series’ first era with a student rebellion, a daring journey to the Dark Dimension, and the realization that some of the school’s brightest stars have dark futures.

Freshman year is almost over! From day one, people have been wondering — who is the savior of Strange Academy, and who can bring it all down? The future of Marvel Magic is going to be decided here, and it will take FAR more than the Sorcerer Supreme and his school if magic has a chance!

“This is a real passion project for me and Humberto, and we’ve never had so much fun making this project,” Young said. “All of the high school teen drama between Dormammu’s son Doyle and Emily Bright is going to come back, but this is not just a continuation of the next day of class! You will see the ramifications of how the first series ended, and we’re going to be focusing on some really cool characters. And with the prophecy over the last few years … someone’s going to come out of this changed in a big way.”

“When we first started, we just wanted to do something together, but it was great to see the reaction from the fans,” Ramos added. “I love drawing these characters, and Skottie gives them the best scripts to play with these kids, their universe, their concerns and powers, and the way they’d like the world to be. This new saga and chapter of their lives will be really insane.”

• You mean there's something that Clea and Wanda together can't handle? That IS scary!

STRANGE ACADEMY: FIRST CLASS HC

THE MARVELS VOL 2: UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY TP

THUNDERBOLTS #3

ULTIMATE X-MEN OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

ULTRAMAN MYSTERY OF ULTRASEVEN #3

VARIANTS #4 (OF 5)

VENOM #12

WILD CARDS: DRAWING OF THE CARDS #4

WOLVERINE #26

X-MEN LEGENDS #3

Story: Ann Nocenti | Art: Javier Pina | Cover: Giuseppe Camuncoli | Teen+ | $3.99

It’s a lucky day to be an X-Men fan! Longtime X-Men editor and groundbreaking writer Ann Nocenti will return to the franchise this July in X-MEN LEGENDS, the extraordinary series where X-Men’s most legendary creators tell all-new stories set during their classic runs! Featuring artwork by Javier Pina (X-MEN, MAESTRO: WAR & PAX), X-MEN LEGENDS #3 will kick off a two-part saga that takes place directly after 1985’s LONGSHOT, the influential limited series where Nocenti and artist Arthur Adams introduced readers to Longshot, Mojo, and Spiral. The story will shed new light on Longshot, filling in the gap between the fan-favorite hero’s mysterious original adventure and his tenure on the X-Men. And like all unforgettable trips to Mojoworld, fans can expect plenty of metacommentary, pop culture references, and unabashed mayhem — all from the mastermind behind it all!

Longshot’s adventure on Earth may be over, but before he can continue his mission, he’s pulled into Mojoworld for a multipicture deal he simply can’t refuse. And when Wolverine and Shadowcat investigate the mysterious psionic disturbance, will they be able to escape the pull of Mojoworld before things SPIRAL out of control?

“It's been a blast to play in the Mojoverse again,” Nocenti said. “The zany world of Longshot, created with Arthur Adams back when we were both just ‘kids,’ is now being drawn by spectacular artist Javier Pina, and let's just say it is a joyful experience to watch Javier nail these characters perfectly. Along with editors Mark Basso and Drew Baumgartner, we're jamming away in MOLLYWOOD, Mojo's Movie studio, where Mojo, Spiral and Major Domo are making a genre mashup masterpiece as only Mojo can imagine, designed, of course, to mess with Longshot. The madcap crew has also gotten their hands on some X-MEN — Wolverine, Kitty Pryde, and her faithful dragon Lockheed, all dragged in to star in the film. The big question is — who will win the Mojo Award for Best Death?”

X-TERMINATORS #2 (OF 5)

X-TREME X-MEN BY CLAREMONT OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

MORE COMICS

ABSOLUTION #4 (OF 5)

ACTION JOURNALISM #2

AL DENTE ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Grayson Bear | Silver Sprocket | Mature | $6.99

Al Dente is a very bad dog. He wants your unconditional love, adoration, and attention — and obviously, he deserves it. Why would you even ask that? It's not like you're so perfect! A hilarious and caustic comic about stubbornly refusing to grow and dragging the haters down with you.

• With virtually all of Silver Sprocket's output, I feel like I'm missing some vital piece of information to understand just WTH is going on here.
  • Here's a preview.

ALIENGAGED #2

ALLEY OOP AND CHIEF BIGHORN VOL 5 GN

ALLEY OOP AND HAN SIN’S KITE

ARCHIE GIANT COMICS FLASH TP

ART OF HELLWITCH VS. LADY DEATH WARGASM #1

BARBARIC: AXE TO GRIND #3

BEETHOVEN: A STAND FOR FREEDOM TP

Story/Art: Regis Penet | Humanoids | Mature | $22.99

Through an important episode in the life of Ludwig van Beethoven, Régis Penet paints the portrait of a humanist genius who refused to submit to the powerful.

"Tell the French that there is still one man in Austria who is not subject to them, and that he does not bear any title!"

1806. The great Napoleonic conquests are underway and Austria is now occupied by French troops. Ludwig van Beethoven, by now a towering figure in Austrian culture, resides in the palace of Prince Alois von Lichnowsky, his friend and patron. One fateful night, von Lichnowsky demands Beethoven play for his guests to show "what remains of a prince of Austria." But Beethoven refuses.

A striking portrait of the "bear of the salons": a genius sure of his talent, indomitable and devoted to freedom.

• I've never really thought of Beethoven as a freedom fighter. I always read that he wasn't a very pleasant person. I guess you can be both.

BILL & TED ROLL THE DICE #4

BLACK MAN’S GUIDE TO GETTING PULLED OVER

Story: Johnny Parker | Art: Felipe Horas | Microcosm Publishing | Mature | $4.95

Black Man's Guide satirically explores the issue of police harassment in an effort to find a solution to the problem... or you know, at least make cops feel guilty enough to leave us alone!

• I'm glad someone can find humor in how Black people are treated by law enforcement. It makes me boiling mad.

BLINK #4

BLOODSHOT UNLEASHED #2

BLUE BARON #3 PERIL OF PROFESSOR WRATH

• Binge Books

BOOGYMAN #2

CAFFEINATED HEARTS ONE-SHOT

Story: Jonathan Hedrick | Art/Cover: Stefano Cardoselli | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

Follow a beautifully tattooed barista named Amarella across four vignettes that are blended through this slice-of-life comic book set in a coffee shop with a cyberpunk backdrop. These robust tales will warm your heart like a fresh batch of java poured into your favorite morning mug. Step inside and enjoy.

CHOPPING BLOCK #1

Story: Lee Adam Herold, Ryan Hohne | Art/Cover: Lee Adam Herold | Keenspot Entertainment | $4.99

The dilapidated mansion on the hill overlooking the happy little town of Harmony sparks the curiosity of the local goth kids, the suspicion of the town sheriff, and the hunger of entities dark and demonic. But the hockey mask-wearing loner who lives there just wants to be left alone to collect spleens, chainsaw sorority girls, and make Mother proud. Is that too much to ask? Chopping Block is an all-new scarily funny horror series about a neurotic serial killer that's a cross between Johnny The Homicidal Maniac and The Addams Family!

CIH PRESENTS HELL O DALI ONE-SHOT

CRADLE OF FILTH #4

CRASH & TROY #3 (OF 4)

CREEPY GN

Story: Lee Sensenbrenner, Keiler Roberts | Art/Cover: Lee Sensenbrenner, Keiler Roberts | Drawn & Quarterly | $16.95

In this picture book for grown-ups, sibling duo Keiler Roberts and Lee Sensenbrenner render a compelling-and downright creepy-modern fable about kids who are hooked on their digital devices. Creepy is the contemporary answer to the shocking tales of the Brothers Grimm and bedtime moral stories like the boy who cried wolf or the princess and the pea: in it, Roberts and Sensenbrenner provide a shrewd and comical commentary on the increasing digitization of childhood.

CRUMRIN CHRONICLES VOL 2 TP

CRYSTAL PLANET #4 (OF 5)

DJINN HUNTER TP

Story: Jay Sandlin | Art/Cover:  Fabrizio Cosentino | Blackbox Comics | $19.99

The cosmos is in chaos! The elder council of Djinn must stop their rogue member, Abyss and his minions from granting wishes to mortals, resulting in untold horrors. Their only hope is Zara, the Djinn Hunter. Will she hunt down the mad Djinn or doom the realms to destruction?

DOCTOR RIGBY: WHERE DWELLS GHOSTLY BARON ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: John Kissee | Source Point Press | Mature | $4.99

A thrilling hybrid of weird horror and stylish 60's spy adventure! Shrouded in mystery, Doctor Rigby is an impeccably dressed soldier in a secret, ancient war of magic, monsters, and cosmic madness. In this one-shot tale, Rigby discovers horrors beyond imagining in a theme park haunted house ride turned hellishly real!

ETERNAL DESCENT #1

Story: Michael Moreci | Art: Marco Lorenzana | Cover: Meghan Hetrick | Opus Comics | $4.99

Doctorate student and struggling musician Lyra Constance has become obsessed with the occult influence on the history of music, hoping it will lead to her big break. But she soon learns that evil is very real, and finds herself cast into the eternal battle between Heaven and Hell, with the world hanging in the balance.

• Pretty sure I dated her in my 20s. Good to see she's taking care of herself.

FREAKS & GODS VOL 2 #3 DYNAMIC RETURN

FRUITING BODIES ONE-SHOT

Story: Ashley Robin Franklin | Art: Ashley Robin Franklin | Silver Sprocket | Mature | $9.99

Frances, her brother, and his annoying friend Trent have their Pacific Northwest road trip derailed when a wrong turn strands them in the rain-soaked woods. Luckily, they're found by a beautiful, friendly stranger who is eager to help them-but is her convenient arrival their salvation, or something else entirely?

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #65

GRIMM SPOTLIGHT: CINDERELLA — TOOTH FAIRY

GRIMM UNIVERSE QUARTERLY: HALLOWEEN

A GUARDIAN #1

Story: Eastin DeVerna | Art/Cover: Kay Baird | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

"High up in the Windy Mountains, there is a tomb. And there are rumors about this tomb."

Aylward is the ancient guardian of The Tomb of Livia. When the Northern, Middle, and Southern kingdoms of the Great Sphere plunge into a threewar once again, events are set in motion that will trigger the beginning of the End Times, and Aylward will soon find that the fate of the realm is a heavy weight to bear, indeed.

HEADHUNTER #1

Story: Darin Henry | Art: Steve Gordon | Cover: Sal Buscema, Ron Frenz | Binge Books | $3.99

After taking down human traffickers, Headhunter rescues an orphaned baby and decides to raise her as his own. Unfortunately, the Heroes Union isn't convinced that a homeless, super-powered vigilante is cut out for fatherhood!  It's a family-friendly, triple-sized, self-contained epic from writer Darin Henry and animation legend Steven E. Gordon wrapped inside an instant classic cover by Ron Frenz & Sal Buscema.

• Binge Books.

HELLOWEEN #1 (OF 3)

Story: Joe Harris | Art: Axel Medellin | Cover: Santi Casas | Opus Comics | $6.66

Pumpkin fans, unite! "Seekers Of The Seven Keys" explores the iconic cast of characters depicted on album covers from the legendary German heavy metal band, known as the "godfathers of melodic speed metal." The mystical Seven Keys have been lost, and the Keeper wants them back. But he's not the only one looking. And when teenage siblings stumble upon the quest, they embark on a 1980s-style science-fiction, fantasy adventure filled with the horror tropes, campy characters, and throwback humor for which the band is known.

HENRY AND GLENN FOREVER & EVER RIDICULOUSLY COMPLETE EDITION

Story: Tom Neely, Various | Art: Tom Neely, Various | Cover: Jim Rugg | Microcosm Publishing | Mature | $19.95

Two men. Two myths. One Legend. The greatest love story every told has finally been released in graphic novel form. This epic tome features twenty short stories about the domestic life of "Henry" and "Glenn" and sometimes their neighbors "Daryl" and "John." ("Rollins", "Danzig", "Hall", and "Oates" for the uninitiated.) The saga of Henry and Glenn is a true testament to the power of love to overcome even the biggest, manliest egos of our time. This ridiculously complete edition collects four serialized comics, the trade paperback, the original 6x6" book, and adds stories, pin-up art, and full color covers from the original series.

• I had never heard of this guy, so I Googled him. Wiki says he's a multi-hyphenate with product in a lot of fields that I have never sampled. So I still don't know much about him.
  • There is this: He denies being gay in the Wiki article, saying "if I was gay you would know it." As far as I know, Hall & Oates weren't gay, either. So what is this? Slash fiction? An in-joke for people in this musical subset? Like with Silver Sprocket, I feel like I'm missing something.

HOME TO STAY: THE COMPLETE RAY BRADBURY EC STORIES HC

Story: Al Feldstein, Ray Bradbury | Art: Johnny Craig, Reed Crandall, Jack Davis, Will Elder, George Evans, Frank Frazetta, Graham Ingels, Jack Kamen, Bernard Krigstein, Joe Orlando, John Severin, Angelo Torres, Al Williamson, Wallace Wood | Fantagraphics | $75.00

Between 1951 and 1954, EC Comics adapted 28 classic Ray Bradbury stories into comics form. A special companion to their New York Times best-selling classic reprint series, Fantagraphics’ latest collection features all 28 of the Ray Bradbury stories adapted by EC Comics — including the unauthorized ones! — for the first time in one volume.

Highlights in this singular volume include:

• "Home to Stay" —  a clever combination of two Bradbury science fiction stories that Bradbury himself proclaimed topped his originals (available in no other form or medium), masterfully woven together by Al Feldstein and Wallace Wood.
  • "A Sound of Thunder" — the classic time-travel-gone-wrong story brilliantly illustrated by Al Williamson and Angelo Torres.
  • "Touch and Go" — an obsessive psychological thriller tautly executed by Johnny Craig.

And many more, including "The Million Year Picnic" (Elder), "I, Rocket" (Williamson and Frazetta), "Zero Hour" (Kamen), "Mars Is Heaven" (Wood), and "There Will Come Soft Rains …" (Wood). Plus three bonus stories inspired by other Bradbury tales!

With black-and-white illustrations throughout, Home to Stay!: The Complete Ray Bradbury EC Stories is a superb, sumptuous showcase for these classic comic book masterpieces that have never before been collected together in one volume, reproduced in generously oversized coffee table dimension.

• You bet I'm getting this one. At last, a way to introduce my wife (who loves Ray Bradbury) to try EC Comics.

I SURVIVED HURRICANE KATRINA 2005 VOL 6 GN

JOHN CARPENTER’S TALES OF SCI-FI: INTERFERENCE PATTERN #4

JOY OF QUITTING TP

Story/Art: Keiler Roberts | Drawn & Quarterly | Mature | $24.95

Keiler Roberts affirms her status as one of the best autobiographical cartoonists working today with The Joy of Quitting, a work encompassing 8 years of hilarious moments in the author's life, mined from the universal. It spans her frantic child-rearing, misfires in the workplace, and frustrating experiences with the medical system.

JUSTICE WARRIORS #5

THE LAST MECHANICAL MONSTER GN

Story/Art: Brian Fries | Abrams ComicArts | 192 pages | $24.99

From Brian Fies, the acclaimed graphic novelist of Mom’s Cancer, Whatever Happened to the World of Tomorrow? and A Fire Story, comes a classic comic book adventure for all ages

Decades after being imprisoned for threatening his city with an army of giant robots, an elderly scientist reenters society, only to discover he needs help navigating life in the 21st century. Experiencing real kindness and friendship for the first time, his new relationships challenge the inventor’s single-minded devotion for vengeance — just as his plans threaten to spiral out of his control. The Last Mechanical Monster by Brain Fies is a story about ambition, creativity, mortality, friendship, and legacy. But it is also a story about how we want to be remembered, and what we leave behind.

This latest graphic novel from Brian Fies already has a fan base and a considerable history of accomplishment. Initially published online as a webcomic, it was nominated for an Eisner Award for Best Digital Comic in both 2014 and 2015. It is also a pivot from Fies’s more serious graphic novels, created at a time when he was between large, demanding projects, and needing to remind himself that comics could and should be fun and provide a joyful escape — something we can all use a little more of these days.

• Looks a lot like the robots in "The Mechanical Monsters" episode of the Fleisher Studios' Superman cartoons.

LOCUST BALLAD OF MEN #3

LOUDEST & SMARTEST GN

Story/Art: Alex Krokus | Silver Sprocket | Mature | $29.99

Meet Alex: an internet-addicted millennial raccoon and his misadventures in the big bad city. Loudest and Smartest collects over 350 pages of Loud and Smart by Alex Krokus, featuring comics about punks, horrible couples, love, jobs, and the disgusting depths of viral videos.

LOVECRAFT: UNKNOWN KADATH #2

MACANUDO WELCOME TO ELSEWHERE HC

Story/Art: Liniers | Fantagraphics | Mature | $24.99

Fantagraphics is proud to present Argentine cartoonist Liniers' internationally-acclaimed newspaper comic strip in an English language collection for the first time. In the spirit of Calvin & Hobbes, Mutts and Krazy Kat, Liniers (Ricardo Siri) uses a shifting cast of children, talking animals, imaginary monsters, sensitive robots, occasional elves and anthropomorphized objects to perform gags, philosophize, muse on nature and engage in surreal, artistic flights of fancy. With delicate, calligraphic pen work and understated watercolors, the comic skips lightly from style to style and subject to subject, as Liniers allows his imagination and observational humor free reign. Jokes about domestic life, imagined scenarios of historical figures, Cthulu showing up to Tinder dates, characters simply enjoying a pastoral sunset, the puncturing of pop-culture stalwarts: Macanudo is a boundless canvas for its author's humane and delightfully off-kilter view of the world, in a way few comic strips have ever even attempted. Beginning in 2002 in Buenos Aires, Macanudo steadily gained popularity around the world, appearing in US newspapers since 2018. Welcome to Elsewhere is the first of a series of volumes collecting Liniers' groundbreaking strip.

MEGA CENTURIONS #4 (OF 5)

MICKEY MOUSE: MONSTER OF SAWTOOTH MOUNTAIN HC

MONSTER MEN: ISLE OF TERROR #3 (OF 3)

MULTI MIND MAYHEM VOL 5 GN

MUTTS TREASURY: MUTTS WALKING HOME TP

NEWTHINK #5 (OF 5)

NIGHT VEGAN HC

Story: Elijah Richardson Jr, Leroy Bryant, Alana Joli Abbott | Art: Lee Oaks, Figue | Art/Cover: Chris Yarbrough | CEX Publishing | $19.95

Prosperous Lake, New Mexico: Population, 398 isn't the place where Vinny the Shovel wanted to end up in Witness Protection. Working at the local hardware store isn't the height of excitement, not even when the town is hosting the County's 100th Agricultural Fair. But when a tanker truck carrying a disastrous secret experiment crashes near town, this town isn't just dead ... It's about to get undead.

• Night of the Vegan ... day of the carnivore? Late afternoon tea of the omnivores? First brunch of the kosher?

NIGHTFALL DOUBLE FEATURE #1

Story/Art: Various | Covers: Maan House, Chris Shehan, Jason Shawn Alexander, Skylar Patridge, Joshua Hixson, Tula Lotay | Vault | 64 pages | $24.99

Vault Comics is thrilled to announce NIGHTFALL: DOUBLE FEATURE, a brand new series of double-sized comics that contain two separate ongoing horror stories from the creators behind House of Slaughter, The Autumnal, The Plot, and Resonant. Grab your popcorn and clamber into your sleeping bag for two tales of terror just like a classic drive-in movie experience.

THE CEMETERIANS

Feature one is THE CEMETERIANS, written by New York Times Best-Selling author Daniel Kraus (The Autumnal, The Shape of Water), drawn by Ringo Award nominee Maan House, colored by Kurt Michael Russell (The Plot, The Blue Flame), and lettered by Andworld Design. After human bones begin growing inside inanimate objects all across the globe, a renegade scientist and brilliant theologian delve into the cemeteries where the bones originated, discovering an otherworldly force tired of being buried in darkness.

DENIZEN

Feature two is DENIZEN, written by Tim Daniel (The Plot, End After End) and David Andry (Resonant, End After End), drawn by Chris Shehan (House of Slaughter, The Autumnal), colored by Jason Wordie, and lettered by Jim Campbell.  A family's cross country road trip goes off the map and into the unforgiving wilds of Joshua Tree National Park, when mom and wife-to-be Helene succumbs to a malevolent force tucked inside an abandoned camping trailer.

“For nearly three years now, Vault has been publishing astonishingly high-quality horror tales through our Nightfall imprint," said Nightfall mastermind Tim Daniel. "Starting in October 2019, we chose Nightfall as the vehicle through which we could introduce horror into our catalog, aligning it carefully with our existing twin pillars of science fiction and fantasy. Series as diverse in voice and presentation such as The Autumnal, Black Stars Above, Human Remains, Hollow Heart, I Walk With Monsters and The Plot resonated powerfully with our readers and demonstrated the startling width and breath of the genre. A discerning editorial eye also ensured that we could offer readers the same incredibly high level of quality they'd come to historically expect of the core Vault titles.”

“As our company celebrates five years of publishing excellence, this October felt like the natural time to remind everyone that Vault horror is not only here to stay, but yet again it will expand the boundaries of our line by introducing a uniquely rewarding new format for our readers.”

"And we assure you, Nightfall: Double Feature is more than just a reminder or celebration of bygone success, it is an ambitious nod towards the many more extraordinary things we’ve planned yet to come.”

• Here's a preview that's different from the one below.

NOA: NOT OTHERWISE AUTHORIZED #3 (OF 3)

THE OUT VOL 1 TP

Story: Dan Abnett | Art/Cover: Mark Harrison | Rebellion / 2000AD | $25.99

Cyd Finlea is a photojournalist working for the publishers Neographic. It has been a decade since she left Earth and traveled to into the deepest recesses of outer space, otherwise known as The Out. Her encounters include meetings with strange alien societies and ex-pat humans, an experience that she shares with her trusty sentient backpack. This exciting, first volume introduces a brand new world introduced recently in the pages of 2000 AD, with an intriguing new female lead brilliantly executed by writer Dan Abnett and featuring the inventive visuals of Mark Harrison.

PEANUTS & WOODSTOCK IN A BIRCH TREE SC

PUP DETECTIVES VOL 8: BATTLE OF BANDS GN

REDMAN #5 (OF 5)

REMNANT TP

Story/Art: Matthew Medney | Heavy Metal | $22.99

The year is 2449. Abel Kane, an accomplished writer, witnesses a murder. But when he discovers the victim was a machine in a "skin suit," his life is turned upside down. Its mere existence is either an anomaly or part of a surreptitious takeover. Soon Abel finds himself caught in the middle of a dangerous conspiracy. The more he investigates, the more he begins to fear he might be the only human left.

RETURN OF CHILLING ADVENTURES IN SORCERY ONE-SHOT

Story: Eliot Rahal, Sina Grace, Casey Gilly | Art:  Vincenzo Federici, Corin Howell, Liana Kangas | Cover: Julius Ohta | $3.99

Rounding out Archie Horror's inaugural Month of Mayhem in October is THE RETURN OF CHILLING ADVENTURES IN SORCERY, a direct sequel to last year's smash hit one-shot starring the iconic Sabrina villain, Madam Satan! Our titular anti-hero has escaped Hell and is on the loose, but not for long; Satan is on the hunt and she's now hiding in Baxter High, posing as the school's principal. Each classroom seems to be a portal back to Hell — and our window into a new scary story — culminating in a climactic showdown. Original framing sequence writer Eliot Rahal returns to pick up the thread here, along with writers Sina Grace (Iceman) and Casey Gilly (Dungeons & Dragons), and artists Vincenzo Federici (TMNT: The Armageddon Game), Corin Howell (Transformers), and Liana Kangas (Star Wars Adventures).

• If Archie switched entirely to horror I would no be disappointed.

RICK & MORTY #100

RICK & MORTY CORPORATE ASSETS TP

SARA LONE #1

Story: Erik Arnoux | Art/Cover: David Morancho | Sumerian Comics | Mature | $5.99

A young woman with a rough past finds herself caught in a destructive spiral after the brutal murder of her father, the owner of a modest artisanal shrimp fishery. Leaving the hot nights of New Orleans, she returns to the countryside to take over the business on her own, despite the ambient hostility around her.

But she gets arrested during her trip back and learns that a murder was committed in the strip club where she worked at and everything seems to point towards her commiting the crime. Pursued by Mafia killers, she passes from police handcuffs to the hands of the Secret Service.

Just who is Joy Carruthers, stage name, Sara Lone? Find out in part one of this mystery thriller.

• I like that sort of old-fashioned, 1950s soft-porn paperback cover look. Probably just nostalgia for an era I didn't quite live in.

SHIFT PRESENTS: EMPIRE TP

SILVER VOL 1: OF TREASURES & THIEVES GN

SOULFIRE: CORE #1

Story: J. T. Krul | Art/Cover: Alex Konat | Aspen | $3.99

Aspen Comics' largest and most ambitious release of 2022 is now available in a two-part action-packed adventure!

The hidden world of magic has made its presence known in the conflict above the surface between The Blue, The Humans and the previously concealed race of The Core. One of the greatest decisions of their kingdom stands before them, as the mysterious-and deadlyfrom The Core have been brought to their realm, under the watchful eye of Grace.

Now, the magical denizen of The Everlands must decide how to harbor its most deadly and powerful inhabitant ... a decision that will send shockwaves across the entire Aspen Universe!

Featuring covers by Alex Konat, Jordan Gunderson and Michael Turner, this is THE biggest Soulfire direct market launch of 2022!

• In my head, all Aspen heroines are the same girl, just wearing different clothes. Or almost wearing them. And this will be revealed in Crisis of Infinite Artists Who Draw Like Michael Turner.

SPACE LADY #4

STAR RUNNER: RISING STAR #2 (OF 4)

TALLI: DAUGHTER OF THE MOON TP

Story: Sourya | Oni Press | $19.99

Talli is a Summoner: a nearly extinct people, hunted by those who fear their mysterious powers. As a baby, she was adopted by Lord Borin, and all was well for many years. ... But one day, their castle is sacked by Borin's rival, Lord Ulric. Talli escapes in the chaos and darkness with the help of the noble (some might say too noble) knight Sir Alan. 

With Ulric's forces hot on her heels, Talli and Alan keep one step ahead, gathering a motley crew of companions and protectors that includes the lethargic-but-incredible swordsman Lélo. Ulric's Captain Nina pursues them doggedly, but she is unaware of the secret of Talli's blood: the secret of the Summoners!

Talli, Daughter of The Moon is an incredibly epic adventure from French-Laotian cartoonist Sourya that evokes the best of manga and bandes dessinées in one sweeping narrative.

TAROT WITCH OF THE BLACK ROSE #136

TOM HOLLAND’S FRIGHT NIGHT #2

VMT VOL 1 (OF 3): VAMPIRE MENSTRUAL TENSION GN

Story: Will Simpson | Art: Lovern Kindzierski, Sean Tonelli | Art/Cover: Will Simpson | Renegade Arts | $19.99

Vampires come in many forms and curious identities —not all Nosferatu are of the rat teeth, or Dracula and his penchant for impaling Turks — but one thing's for sure, they aren't meant to sparkle or be teenage friendly, even if the young do taste like chicken! It's not that vampires aren't fun, but hang on to your face, they peel easier than an apple in baking season. VMT brings together three diverse vampiric existences in an encounter with a darker, more malevolent evil, insistent on shredding the veil of life and indulging in a brutal orgy of carnal sacrifice.

• That ... is a very odd title.
  • Here's a preview.

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #124

ZOMBIE TERRORS HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

Story: Frank Forte, Timothy Bacon, Brian Quinn | Art: Frank Forte, Timothy Bacon, Brian Quinn | Cover:  Aly Fell | Asylum Press | $9.99

Signed by Creator Frank Forte. Comes bagged and boarded with COA. Asylum Press brings you a giant flesh rotting collection of all-new zombie tales. Featuring an international cast of artistic talent. Dwayne Harris brings us "Recluse" where an old man living in a cabin in the woods thinks he's prepared for the zombie apocalypse. But nothing could prepare him for the bite of a recluse spider turning him into a creature of the undead. These and more stories round out an amazing horrorific collection for the Halloween reader!

MORE MANGA

ANCIENT MAGUS BRIDE VOL 16 GN

BAKEMONOGATARI VOL 16 GN

BEHEMOTH S RANKED MONSTER CAT ELF GIRL PET VOL 5 GN

BLACK PARADOX

BLUE LOCK VOL 3 GN

DETECTIVE IS ALREADY DEAD VOL 3 GN

DISSOLVING CLASSROOM COLL ED HC

EMINENCE IN SHADOW VOL 5 GN

HOW DO WE RELATIONSHIP VOL 7 GN

LAST GENDER VOL 1 GN

MAN AND HIS CAT VOL 7 GN

MOMO BLOOD TAKER VOL 2 GN

NECROMANCE VOL 5 GN

OUTBRIDE BEAUTY & BEASTS VOL 2 GN

PARALLEL PARADISE VOL 11 GN

REINCARNATED AS A SWORD VOL 9 GN

SAKURAI SAN WANTS TO BE NOTICED VOL 2 GN

SENSEIS PIOUS LIE VOL 4 GN

SERVAMP VOL 17 GN

SHANGRI LA FRONTIER VOL 2 GN

SKYGRAZER GN

SNOW WHITE WITH RED HAIR VOL 21 GN

THERMAE ROMAE COMPLETE OMNIBUS HC

WANDANCE VOL 3 GN

WELCOME TO BALLROOM VOL 11 GN

YOKAI CATS VOL 1 GN

MORE YA/KIDS

CAT NINJA VOL 4: WELCOME TO THE BURBS GN

DPS ONLY GN

DRAGON KINGDOM OF WRENLY VOL 8: SHATTERED SHORE HC

DRAGONS OF EMBER CITY: HAPPY SPARK DAY GN

FREESTYLE GN

GLAM PRIX RACERS: FAST TO FINISH GN

HISTORY COMICS: TRANSCONTINENTAL RAILROAD GN

I CAN READ COMICS: MY LITTLE PONY — IZZY DOES IT GN

IN THE SHADOW OF THE THRONE OGN

MOCHI'S PUGPYHOOD GN

MY AUNT IS A MONSTER GN

PHILOSOPHER DOG & WEDDING GN

RALPH AZHAM VOL 2: LAND OF THE BLUE DEMONS GN

SMURF TALES VOL 5: GOLDEN TREE & OTHER TALES GN

SPIRIT WEEK GN

TIMOTHY DINOMAN SAVES THE CAT GN

WITCH'S THRONE GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "We have do something with all those abandoned malls, don't we?"

The more time passes, the more dated Howard Chaykin's American Flagg! (set in a shopping mall/city in the year 2032) becomes.

"I get why Punchline was created but I find absolutely nothing about her interesting. What am I missing?"

I don't think you're missing anything.

"But poor ol' Riddler stayed ridiculous."

With the exception of that one 1989 Neil Gaiman story.

73364700824.1.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

STAR TREK #1: "Its stardate 2378..."

No, the year is 2378. The stardate would be 56000-something. Pass.

STEVE CANYON VOL 12 HC: Oooh! (Originally solicited for September 7).

MIRACLEMAN OMNIBUS HC: (Originally solicited for September 14)

Two ALLEY OOP books this week (originally solicited for September 28 and October 19).

"A Moon Knight/Werewolf by Night reunion!"

That's pretty close to an homage cover, too.

94989738288.32.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

"I stopped buying the X-books when "Judgment Day" arrived..."

I stopped buying after "Fall of the Mutants" (and stopped reading sometime before).

HOME TO STAY: THE COMPLETE RAY BRADBURY EC STORIES HC: What worries me about this one is that it's shipping on the day it was solicited to ship, but I haven't seen "Dearly Beloved" (originally solicited for August 10).

"Looks a lot like the robots in "The Mechanical Monsters" episode of the Fleisher Studios' Superman cartoons."

And the cover frame from  Superman #1.

MACANUDO WELCOME TO ELSEWHERE HC: I didn't pre-order this one, but I'm definitely considering buying it. Macanudo replaced the execrable Mallard Fillmore in the Dallas Morning News a few months ago. It's delightful. 

Sorry; don't know why I'm so "talky" today.

• HOME TO STAY: THE COMPLETE RAY BRADBURY EC STORIES HC

I'm getting this, too.

"It's better to ask for forgiveness than permission." The phrase wasn't used then, but William Gaines adapted Bradbury's stories, at least at first, without asking him. Fortunately, he was okay with it.

I started snapping up paperbacks by Bradbury after reading one short story in school. He turned me on to science fiction and horror.

Later, there was a stage adaptation of The Martian Chronicles. So he also turned me on to live theater.

• "Fortunately, he was okay with it."

...provided they paid and credited him for his work. 

• HOME TO STAY: THE COMPLETE RAY BRADBURY EC STORIES HC:

I remember seeing this solicited and I remember preordering it. What I didn't realize is how BIG it is! (13.5" x 10") I had assumed it was part of Fantagraphics' EC Comics Library series, but no. Surely there has already been one of those dedicated to Ray Bradbury, but there's not. Surely, some of these have turned up in other volumes dedicated to specific artists as well as in Dark Horse's EC Archives but, like the solicitation says, these stories "have never before been collected together in one volume." Prepare to be impressed. 

• Woot!

• Stop calling me Shirley!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

HOME TO STAY: THE COMPLETE RAY BRADBURY EC STORIES HC:

I remember seeing this solicited and I remember preordering it. What I didn't realize is how BIG it is! (13.5" x 10") I had assumed it was part of Fantagraphics' EC Comics Library series, but no. Surely there has already been one of those dedicated to Ray Bradbury, but there's not. Surely, some of these have turned up in other volumes dedicated to specific artists as well as in Dark Horse's EC Archives but, like the solicitation says, these stories "have never before been collected together in one volume." Prepare to be impressed. 

• Just received my copy. It's big and gorgeous. 

I can't imagine it being a problem for anyone, but the interior is entirely black and white.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

HOME TO STAY: THE COMPLETE RAY BRADBURY EC STORIES HC:

• "Stop calling me Shirley!"

Not that it matters really, I guess, but I meant to type "certainly" that second time: "Surely there has already been one of those dedicated to Ray Bradbury, but there's not. Surely certainly, some of these have turned up in other volumes..."

"I can't imagine it being a problem for anyone, but the interior is entirely black and white."

I almost mentioned the paper stock (glossy). Whereas I would have preferred a more "absorbent" stock for b&w reproduction, I am used to seeing EC reprints, in color, on glossy paper. In either case, the large size makes it easy for one to "get between the lines" of the art. And Bradbury's stories were illustrated by a variety of artists (reflecting the variety of the kinds of stories he told). In that respect, the Home to Stay collection is also a tribute to EC artists as well as Bradbury.

This reply was deleted.